PDA

View Full Version : Disappointing

Ian Pont
March 19, 2013, 11:16 AM
I am disappointed that Bangladesh lost the short series 1-0 especially against the slow left arm spin of Herath taking 12 wickets.

I would have thought that the BPL provided enough impetus and confidence for the team to go forward and win this series against a SL team low on confidence after all the player disputes.

The brilliant performances by the batters in the first Test match on a great batting wicket aside, the loss leaves the team once again scratching collective heads about Test cricket. I wanted to see some more determination and fighting spirit in this second test.

The limited overs stuff is clearly what the players are far more happy to play in and I expect strong results. But Test cricket remains a massive worry after almost 13 years.

mufi_02
March 19, 2013, 11:51 AM
I think expecting an away win at SL would be too ambitious. In fact most of the fans here were at best hoping for a draw and a fight. So I am not too disappointed with the results. They fought hard in 1st test and gave a decent target in the 2nd one. SL might be weak but Sanga, Dilshan, Herath are still there and these are world class players and we also played without Shakib.

al Furqaan
March 19, 2013, 11:59 AM
Ian, our Test cricket is at where our ODI cricket was at a few years ago: occasional solid performances but nothing comprehensive. We play a lot more ODIs than Tests, and Tests few and far between. Plus Tests are much harder. Thus, it will likely take at least a few more years for us to begin to compete with the bottom ranked Test sides as equals.

cricheart
March 19, 2013, 12:41 PM
Except for the interest of Indian full tour invitation, SL series win was never in high demand. Even recent comment from selectors in terms of injury management of top players to give higher priority to Zim series also evident of it. So asking for series draw was already optimistic here let alone winning. Besides long BPL + this SL tour + Zim tour are all making too much compact of cricket in short time, I dont think our cricketers can handle this much of it. No matter few bugs keeps some heads scratching, Asking win from this half strength injury effected test minnow side should be very harsh.

Ian Pont
March 19, 2013, 12:58 PM
I agree about Shakib missing etc etc etc, but let's get past that. It's old news.

My point is that 13 years of Test cricket - however low the standard or expectation - should have taught the players a steely determination to be competitive regularly. Sri Lanka without Malinga, Murali are nowhere near the force they once were and the conditions there are not too alien to BD.

Anyway, I think the problem starts with selectors 'not expecting too much'. There's a fact of life that you get what you prepare for and I feel strongly that the squad is not preparing to win at any stage, but merely 'hang on' so defeat isn't so large.

The mentality brings the answers, and that starts with expectations being set up to be harsher, not easier. If you set the bar low then there is nowhere to go after that. So I would hope to see a tougher push for wins and a higher pride in expectation from even the lesser players coming into the team.

I guess my views are different to most, but having seen the talent on offer, I am disappointed it has yet to galvanised into a winning mindset at least, if not in results.

If you want to do something BADLY enough you will always find a way. If not, you will always find an excuse.

WarWolf
March 19, 2013, 01:01 PM
Not disappointed.

They are learning to believe themselves. We have been watching the difference for last 1 year. It's getting more and more visible now.

WarWolf
March 19, 2013, 01:03 PM
I failed to understand your main point of the thread.

Night_wolf
March 19, 2013, 01:05 PM
its all SJ's fault..sack him

Fazal
March 19, 2013, 01:08 PM
its all SJ's fault..sack him

I am with you.

Dhurr
March 19, 2013, 01:19 PM
Anyway, I think the problem starts with selectors 'not expecting too much'.

If you were a selector, would you have selected different players than the ones in the squad?

SMHasan
March 19, 2013, 01:22 PM
I am disappointed. Yes, I am.

After 13 years of Test cricket we should play Rangana Herath at least. We should not be caught napping (yes, that's the word), Ash and Mahmudullah were caught. You will tell me that they had some unplayable deliveries? NO, they were not unplayable. Shakib bowls those deliveries often, we are used to these sort of bowling.

The thing is we had brain farts (excuse my language)- Nasir had one today, we had some brain freezes- Ash and Mahmudullah. They were off ther mind I guess. Probably Mominul were unlucky, but no excuse at all.

So one opener was a bit useless (Omi), two players were off guard (Ash and Mullah), one was unlucky, one had brain fart, what else? What can you expect other than a 4th day loss?

We deserved it.

mufi_02
March 19, 2013, 01:30 PM
I agree about Shakib missing etc etc etc, but let's get past that. It's old news.

My point is that 13 years of Test cricket - however low the standard or expectation - should have taught the players a steely determination to be competitive regularly. Sri Lanka without Malinga, Murali are nowhere near the force they once were and the conditions there are not too alien to BD.

Anyway, I think the problem starts with selectors 'not expecting too much'. There's a fact of life that you get what you prepare for and I feel strongly that the squad is not preparing to win at any stage, but merely 'hang on' so defeat isn't so large.

you can't just look at that time frame and say hey its been 13 years and BD should win it. Learning is step by step, series by series.

In previous series, SL thrashed BD left and right with innings defeat. This time, we drew one and was competitive in the other one. If Shakib not involved is old news, then absence Murali/Malinga/vintage SL is also old news.

I don't think any realistic die-hard fans/causal viewers/journalist/critics expected BD to win a test given their current strength. We all expected a strong fight and for the most part BD was neck to neck to SL. The result was not like "surprise, OMG, look at what happened". Hence not disappointed.

I can't blame the selectors much. It was almost the best XI possible. Your boy Anamul failed in 1st test and had to make way for Tamim coz Jahurul looked more confident and in fact scored some runs in 2nd test as well.

Once again, let's look at series by series progress.

Night_wolf
March 19, 2013, 01:31 PM
to be honest if somebody told me would you take a 1-0 test series win for SL in SL?..i would probably say yes..we finally drawed a match without the help of rain against a top opposition, whats there to complain about?..but i am really disappointed at some of the way the batsmen got out in the 2nd test..in the 1st innings they were painfully lazy, as if they will play like galle every-time..after all the concentration they showed in galle and getting my hopes up that we have finally learned to bat in test it was really disappointing 2nd test to be honest

i wont complain much about bowling, it is a new bowling unit..we know our fast bowlers limitations, gazi bowled well without any success, if shakib was there things could have been different

shuziburo
March 19, 2013, 01:53 PM
I am disappointed. Whatever we say, this was a winnable match, but our batsmen could not adapt to test cricket. Tamim's advice was on the money, "rotate the strike." But, our batsmen went for shots and the team lost.

oronnya
March 19, 2013, 02:13 PM
Kata gha e nun er chhita shuru !!!

Yeah it's all SJ's fault !!! We need a magician coach who will have a team full of stars so that we can win every match !!!

zsayeed
March 19, 2013, 02:16 PM
^ You generalize to extremes too easily!

Equinox
March 19, 2013, 02:24 PM
Disappointed with some of the performances in the second Test, yes. However, disappointed with the series outcome? Not really. Can't just expect to beat Sri Lanka in Sri Lanka out of nowhere. It will happen gradually. Take out Dilshan, Sangakkara and Herath, who are all on the cusp of retiring, and then compare the two teams. Plenty of positives to be taken from this tour for us. Our pacers outperformed theirs even though they were bowling to a far superior line-up (in the 2nd Test). And I don't see the relevance of how long we've been playing; teams which have been playing far longer would not get as close as us against Sri Lanka at home.

mij
March 19, 2013, 03:11 PM
I am bit disappointed with our bat in 2nd test. I think player just given it away in 2nd inning. But overall performance is not that bad, against SL in SL its really difficult. I think this is our best performance against SL in SL, last time we visited them it was one way all the way.

Ajfar
March 19, 2013, 03:24 PM
What happened to all that talk about dragging the match to 5 days?

The result of the first test match had more to do with the dead pitch than our players batting abilities. If we really learned how to bat for long periods of time, we would have at the very least dragged the match on to the 5th day.

I don't know about other people but no I'm not happy with the result of this game. We can't just be happy that we managed to draw one game, and say that's good enough. In order for us to show that we are improving continuously we need to show improvement from one game to the next. Drawing one test and than not even managing 270+ in the next 2 innings is not a sign of improvement.

Rabz
March 19, 2013, 03:32 PM
http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/9767001/img/Picture-Box/baby-disappointed.bmp

ahnaf
March 19, 2013, 04:05 PM
Kata gha e nun er chhita shuru !!!

Yeah it's all SJ's fault !!! We need a magician coach who will have a team full of stars so that we can win every match !!!

apu.. Khepo ken? :p Nekre miah fazlami to korche..
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Opera Mobile)

meazz1
March 19, 2013, 04:33 PM
What happened to all that talk about dragging the match to 5 days?

The result of the first test match had more to do with the dead pitch than our players batting abilities. If we really learned how to bat for long periods of time, we would have at the very least dragged the match on to the 5th day.

Exactly, that's the point.
We can say whatever we want but we could not take the game into fifth day and that's a let down, that's a failure.
In the first test, they had declared 570/4 but we played all 10 wickets in the first innings.

RazabQ
March 19, 2013, 05:37 PM
After all this years, to be bundled out by a wily, but not overwhelming SLA is disappointing. Herath is just a slightly more wily version of Raw-freak! It was our temerity that caused us to stick to the crease instead of getting a long stride in to him.

Ian Pont
March 19, 2013, 05:56 PM
My point, which most of you seem to understand, is that after 13 years of Test cricket the team is still struggling to make the game last 5 days most of the time. Come on boys, fight....

My worry is when Ireland get Test status

oronnya
March 19, 2013, 06:10 PM
apu.. Khepo ken? :p Nekre miah fazlami to korche..
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Opera Mobile)

nekre mia'r upore to khepi nai :) ... mojai lage ek e trump card bar bar use korte dekhle :)

RezaA
March 19, 2013, 06:13 PM
I know I've been rude to Ash on the thread I made, but it hurts me to see to lose by 7 wickets, and in both innings he scored nothing. What can I do? It is frustrating. I would not be unhappy if the result was competitive like lost by 4 or 5 wickets, then again, we did not fight.....and why our bowling is this low quality....can someone explain....

RezaA
March 19, 2013, 06:16 PM
My point, which most of you seem to understand, is that after 13 years of Test cricket the team is still struggling to make the game last 5 days most of the time. Come on boys, fight....

coach, before it was that we lost for second innings.....now it is whole 2nd test out of 2....so I think another 5 to 7 years In Sha Allah we will be more competitive, you know like beating West Indies on odi series last time.:D

oronnya
March 19, 2013, 07:32 PM
coach, before it was that we lost for second innings.....now it is whole 2nd test out of 2....so I think another 5 to 7 years In Sha Allah we will be more competitive, you know like beating West Indies on odi series last time.:D

Also I am tired of hearing "you have been playing for 13 years now show some improvement" . As if the same bunch of players are playing for 13 years and still didn't learn. It's a pretty young team, I mean out of the current 11 players 6 are totally new to international cricket. What do you expect them to do? Win each and every test match?

How people don't see our improvement? We are finally being able to draw a match whereas 5 or 6 years ago we used to lose by an innings. Our batsmen are getting to that 200 mark and nowadays almost regularly putting up a total over 500. One step at a time. You won't see us winning match after match all of a sudden. How many years did Aus, Eng, Ind take to come to this point? I think we are improving at a much faster rate. And why scare us by saying oh if you can't do it then IReland will get it. Really? I can bet a million bucks that Ireland won't get the test status very soon. They still have a lot to improve. Our boys are not lucky enough like the Irish players to get to play in county, Our players comes from areas were hardly they get to play with a real cricket ball, heck they don't even play with a cricket bat. Professionalism is something totally new to them. Despite all these they are shining in the world cricket now and they are still ahead of Ireland.

zman
March 19, 2013, 07:58 PM
Although I was also a bit disappointed by the end result, I do see light at the end of the tunnel. I now feel we're good enough to compete against teams like WI/NZ/SL at home. I expect to start winning home tests against them every now and then. When Sangakarra/Jayawardene/Dilshan/Herath retire in a year or two, it'll be a big blow to their team. On the other hand our team is starting to look more balanced from top to bottom and less reliant on one or two individuals. Our achilles' heel remains however our pace bowling.

22Yards
March 19, 2013, 08:41 PM
I agree with both sides of this argument. I mean we are improving collectively as a team but the losses also leaves us in a situation where we feel we COULD have won. We always have the potential to win it and if you take out Sangakkara, Dilshan or Herath, I think bangadesh team stands same if not better than SL on paper. The match was head to head on the second and third day when we came to bat.I just can't fathom, why herath out of a sudden became a damon ? I guess there is a trend here that whenever we are under pressure there will always be a herath, narine or tino best rising against us. I don't know whether its in our mind or the batsmen forget to play these guys at that point.

Bonglababu
March 19, 2013, 09:24 PM
Only a true well wisher can say these words. Thanks, coach for putting it nicely. I do share the same view that more often "the squad is not preparing to win" rather just "hanging on" thereby ending up as a mere pushover. If we look at the early days of Zimbabwe's inauguration to test cricket, we can see how positive their attitude was against top teams when they managed to inflict an innings defeat on Pakistan in '95. So, we got to raise the bar and truly believe in our abilities to reap something better.

The mentality brings the answers, and that starts with expectations being set up to be harsher, not easier. If you set the bar low then there is nowhere to go after that. So I would hope to see a tougher push for wins and a higher pride in expectation from even the lesser players coming into the team.

I guess my views are different to most, but having seen the talent on offer, I am disappointed it has yet to galvanised into a winning mindset at least, if not in results.

If you want to do something BADLY enough you will always find a way. If not, you will always find an excuse.

Night_wolf
March 19, 2013, 10:01 PM

Since 2010 we have played 16 tests and out of those 16 tests we have taken 12 tests to 5 days..any team can lose in 4 days..it happens in cricket,one test doesn't mean anything,if your point is about still struggling to take the game to 5 days please do your research, but if you say after 13 years BD still cant win then you have a point

But since i have seen BD cricket lose time after time, being humiliated day after day,i see this 12 matches out of 16 as positives..we struggled to take the test to 3rd day..now finally we are taking it to 5 days..slowly but surely we would win. But for that couple of changes to the infrastructure needs to be done and i would agree with you about one thing that our management isn't interested about doing those changes

and we'll see what happens after ireland gets test status, better leave that argument for future

al-Sagar
March 19, 2013, 10:21 PM
in this series we showed lots of promise, but it was really disappointing the way it finished. from a very strong position when we were about 140/2 in the third day final session we lost momentum. it was a mix of perhaps some good deliveries of herath but mostly some poor shots from BD batsman.

these things we should have learned in this 13 years, its our failure, to be honest.

jeesh
March 19, 2013, 10:26 PM
Sorry Ian, contract disputes, lack of match preparation, new captain, new players. Whatever disadvantages they had they always started strong favourites. Never easy beating Sri Lanka in Sri Lanka. I think there are a lot more positives than negatives from this series. We were walloped everytime we played there. Look at the number of innings defeats even in 2007 when we were doing fairly ok with many of the current players. I am dissapointed we couldnt push the 5th test to day 5, dissapointed we gave in to SLA's when we play so much of it. But at the end they exceeded our expectation. Lets not call the dead pitch a savior. On any other tour we may have capitulated even on a dead pitch. Not this time.

Oh and regarding Ireland, they said the same about Kenya, UAE, Scotland at one time. We ll see how long they can keep up.

Bangladesh 90 and 328; Sri Lanka 555/5d
Sri Lanka won by an innings and 137 runs

Bangladesh 161 and 184; Sri Lanka 541/9d
Sri Lanka won by an innings and 196 runs

Sri Lanka 373 and 263/2d; Bangladesh 164 and 184
Sri Lanka won by 288 runs

Bangladesh 319 and 181; Sri Lanka 338 and 163/2
Sri Lanka won by 8 wickets

Sri Lanka 457/9d; Bangladesh 191 and 197 (f/o)
Sri Lanka won by an innings and 69 runs

Bangladesh 89 and 254; Sri Lanka 577/6d
Sri Lanka won by an innings and 234 runs

Bangladesh 62 and 299; Sri Lanka 451/6d
Sri Lanka won by an innings and 90 runs

Bangladesh 131 and 176; Sri Lanka 500/4d
Sri Lanka won by an innings and 193 runs

Maysun
March 19, 2013, 11:29 PM
I am disappointed.

I won't buy the "beating SL in SL is tough" talk for this Test series. The pitches were made in such a way that it neutralized whatever advantage SL has had. They applied themselves more than us and this is where it was lost. Bar Sangakkara, Dilshan and Herath, the other players who made up their XI had almost the same Test experience. We should be disappointed with the result.

WarWolf
March 20, 2013, 01:57 AM
After all this years, to be bundled out by a wily, but not overwhelming SLA is disappointing. Herath is just a slightly more wily version of Raw-freak! It was our temerity that caused us to stick to the crease instead of getting a long stride in to him.
The key to Herath is playing with the straight bat and playing on the front foot. In the first test, the boys did this and the result was good. In the second test, the players played him either on the back foot or played cross batted shots to throw their wickets.

I hope they learn from this outing.

jeesh
March 20, 2013, 02:05 AM
Very nice article by Mohammad Isam on Cricinfo. Herath showed why we produce so many SLA's in Bangladesh

Sohel
March 20, 2013, 02:32 AM
The team selection was problematic as usual and Shakib's absence was painfully felt. Having said that, can't get a Maruti Suzuki to do a Toyota's job (shooting low here) but it is still disappointing when even that Maruti Suzuki doesn't perform optimally. However, the disappointment was greatly mitigated by good batting from Mushfiq, Nasir, Ashraful and Mominul.

M.H.Rubel
March 20, 2013, 02:33 AM
Since 2010 we have played 16 tests and out of those 16 tests we have taken 12 tests to 5 days..any team can lose in 4 days..it happens in cricket,one test doesn't mean anything,if your point is about still struggling to take the game to 5 days please do your research, but if you say after 13 years BD still cant win then you have a point

But since i have seen BD cricket lose time after time, being humiliated day after day,i see this 12 matches out of 16 as positives..we struggled to take the test to 3rd day..now finally we are taking it to 5 days..slowly but surely we would win. But for that couple of changes to the infrastructure needs to be done and i would agree with you about one thing that our management isn't interested about doing those changes

and we'll see what happens after ireland gets test status, better leave that argument for future
Good post I loved it.

Dilscoop
March 20, 2013, 02:46 AM
I thought our expectation was too high? Now all of a sudden it's too low?

M.H.Rubel
March 20, 2013, 02:47 AM
Very nice article by Mohammad Isam on Cricinfo. Herath showed why we produce so many SLA's in Bangladesh

Thanks for the post. I missed it.
Because Bangladeshi batsmen struggle against left-arm spin, first-class teams, clubs and every other league side rely on two or three left-arm spinners in every game. Whenever a "lefty" (a popular term in Bangladesh for left-arm orthodox spinners) comes on, the batsmen stiffen up.

The general approach against left-arm spin in Bangladesh is to play safe. Against Herath, they neither took the safety-first approach nor were they successful in hitting him out of the attack. It could have been a different day had they offered a more assured foot forward. . . . . . . . . . . . . http://www.espncricinfo.com/sri-lanka-v-bangladesh-2013/content/story/625817.html

CricFanBD
March 20, 2013, 03:12 AM
Mollah Salt.

Tiger Manc
March 20, 2013, 04:50 AM
We lost 33 out of 58 matches of our first 9 years by an innings. That's 57% of our matches. In the last 5 years we've lost 2 out of 19 by an innings. That's 10.5% of matches. At least we don't get thrashed by an innings in 3 days anymore.

Tiger Manc
March 20, 2013, 05:04 AM

Good post. I would go even further. 14 of our last 20 matches lasted 5 days, 1 of which we won within 4 days.

mufi_02
March 20, 2013, 09:26 AM

I have to disagree with you here. A team that is playing for 13 years should automatically take a test to 5th day. No exceptions.

Just like AUS is playing for 130 years and they are taking tests to 6th, 7th...10th day. But against India --

1st test - ended on 5th day (11 ov)
2nd test - ended on 4th day
3rd test - ended on 5th day. yay!! oh wait, day 1 was washed out. so still lost within 4 days :(

First test was drawn coz it was batting paradise. So blame condition and don't consider good batting performance. Second test was lost and outfield was super slow. Now don't blame condition AND consider below average batting performance.

Fazal
March 20, 2013, 10:34 AM
I have to disagree with you here. A team that is playing for 13 years should automatically take a test to 5th day. No exceptions.

Just like AUS is playing for 130 years and they are taking tests to 6th, 7th...10th day. But against India --

1st test - ended on 5th day (11 ov)
2nd test - ended on 4th day
3rd test - ended on 5th day. yay!! oh wait, day 1 was washed out. so still lost within 4 days :(

First test was drawn coz it was batting paradise. So blame condition and don't consider good batting performance. Second test was lost and outfield was super slow. Now don't blame condition AND consider below average batting performance.

But.... but..... :-/ wait a minute ....:) :clap::goal: you have a great sense of humor....

shuziburo
March 20, 2013, 12:49 PM
The key to Herath is playing with the straight bat and playing on the front foot. In the first test, the boys did this and the result was good. In the second test, the players played him either on the back foot or played cross batted shots to throw their wickets.

I hope they learn from this outing.

Batting with a straight bat is good for most of the players. No everyone has Bradman's footwork, eyesight, and hand-eye coordination.

jeesh
March 20, 2013, 10:34 PM
I am disappointed.

I won't buy the "beating SL in SL is tough" talk for this Test series. The pitches were made in such a way that it neutralized whatever advantage SL has had. They applied themselves more than us and this is where it was lost. Bar Sangakkara, Dilshan and Herath, the other players who made up their XI had almost the same Test experience. We should be disappointed with the result.
Buddy while i agree on your views on application or rather the lack of it i dont agree about the experience factor.

The test experience may be similar, but you have to understand these Sri Lankan players have a lot more first class experience, and their first class is a league above ours. Karunaratne might be only playing his 6th test match but he has close to 50 first class caps with an average close to 45. Chandimal, Thirimane also have similar experience, except Chandimal averages around 57 in first class.

Dont get me wrong the likes of Mominul, Anamul are talented. But they havent played the same volume and quality of cricket as the Sri Lankan newcomers have.

While in ODI's, T20's this difference in experience may not show, it will become clear in the longer version.