PDA

View Full Version : No opening ceremony for World Twenty20

Nadim
April 2, 2013, 12:59 PM
Host Bangladesh will not organize any opening ceremony in the forthcoming ICC World Twenty20 scheduled to be staged next year as they will not receive any extra funding from the event, said Bangladesh Cricket Board officials on Monday.
http://newagebd.com/detail.php?date=2013-04-02&nid=44760#.UVscHZNb68E

What the...?

Rabz
April 2, 2013, 01:39 PM
Good thing.
No money, no honey.

Go straight to action.

Leafs PWN
April 2, 2013, 01:55 PM
Thank god. Cut the crap and get to the cricket!

Roey Haque
April 2, 2013, 05:32 PM
You don't need an opening ceremony. Just make some good trailers/promos on the tourney.

firstlane
April 2, 2013, 05:34 PM
Does that mean no speech from the politicians too?

MohammedC
April 2, 2013, 06:02 PM
:fire::fire::fire::fire:

Bohudin por ekta quality khobor shunlam

Ajfar
April 2, 2013, 06:50 PM
Why won't we receive funding for the event? Did SL got funding for their opening ceremony? I doubt SL board is rich enough to pay for the opening ceremony on their own.

Dilscoop
April 2, 2013, 06:56 PM
I think we can afford it. BCB is being cheap and will just pocket the money for themselves. Either way, saved us from an embarrassment.

Jadukor
April 2, 2013, 06:56 PM
I guess ICC still remembers the LK speech from WC11 and didnt want to go through the same kind of pain

Zunaid
April 2, 2013, 07:09 PM
<p>I guess ICC still remembers the LK speech from WC11 and didnt want to go through the same kind of pain</p>
This.

And the minister - who was it? The sports minister? Hgave a strident, loud, and laughable speech as if he were trying to rouse the rabble during a hartal.

Naimul_Hd
April 2, 2013, 07:14 PM
Alhamdulillah !!!

No more painful speeches, Momtaj, Eva Rahman's song, Ananta Jalil, Shakib khan's dance !

Allah bachaiche :D

meazz1
April 2, 2013, 07:52 PM
<p></p>
This.

And the minister - who was it? The sports minister? Hgave a strident, loud, and laughable speech as if he were trying to rouse the rabble during a hartal.

Remember the speech out our beloved PM gave?

al Furqaan
April 2, 2013, 07:52 PM
Bangladesh may not even qualify for the tournament!

Dilscoop
April 2, 2013, 08:38 PM
<p></p>
This.

Bryan Adams?

cricbook
April 2, 2013, 08:59 PM

Ki bolen bhai...? Ato abar khai na... We might win the lolipop world cup.:)

Night_wolf
April 2, 2013, 09:07 PM

i dont think ICC will take that risk

Roni_uk
April 2, 2013, 09:44 PM
Good no opening ceremony - they are mostly BS anyway. I was watching IPL opening ceremony last night, looked like a total disaster done by the 'invincible' SRK. Although the show started with a RS which was good.

Ajfar
April 2, 2013, 10:45 PM
Ki bolen bhai...? Ato abar khai na... We might win the lolipop world cup.:)

i dont think ICC will take that risk

I think Asaad bhai was referring to the thread someone opened with a wikipedia link that claimed Bangladesh won't play in T20 WC.

roaring_tiger
April 3, 2013, 12:59 AM
Good to hear that there won't be any ceremony..

but we'll miss Ash's dance...with Momtaj song...

Sohel
April 3, 2013, 02:09 AM
A well planned and executed OC is a valuable way for Bangladesh to promote herself and showcase her achievements. The focus should be on quality planning and execution, not throwing the proverbial baby out with the bath water.

simon
April 3, 2013, 04:24 AM
Nadim must be feeling so awkward now :-p

cricheart
April 3, 2013, 06:20 AM
tbh I'm feeling like a conspirecy goin against World Twenty20. Firstly being organiser BD have to qualify for it, now no opening ceremony these will simply risk the viability of this tourny. I dont care much about who feels pain duo to some speech from some political personel, but a tourney like this in BD needs hype within common cricket spectators and Momtaz, James, Sanu etc are very capable to gain that. IMO either they are over-confident with Bangladeshi crowd or they delibarately wants this to be failed. Proally failing & issues surrounding in organising BPL was also pushing them for money saving options.

M.H.Rubel
April 3, 2013, 06:29 AM
So BCB has started thinking professionally and commercially!! Previously our board was never that much professional.

senman
April 3, 2013, 06:35 AM

Hosts always get auto qualification.

mufi_02
April 3, 2013, 08:50 AM
we will celebrate after winning the cup. why waste all the money in the beginning.

roman
April 3, 2013, 09:49 AM
They are spending crores of Taka for Bangladesh games, could've easily spent some for WORLDCUP.

But if BCB is saving that money to build up new infrastructures, then I concur with this decision

Kabir
April 4, 2013, 12:56 PM
Does anyone know approximately when the tournament is set to take place? I'm unable to locate any details on the timing.

Also, ICC agreed to make it a 16 team tournament. So whoever said BD might not be playing, check your facts.

al-Sagar
April 4, 2013, 10:14 PM
Does that mean no speech from the politicians too?

Alhamdulillah !!!

No more painful speeches, Momtaj, Eva Rahman's song, Ananta Jalil, Shakib khan's dance !

Allah bachaiche :D

and also no indians .......................... it was highly likely that the sharukhs, salmans, katrinas and deepikas would have been in the show

Maysun
April 4, 2013, 10:52 PM
Does anyone know approximately when the tournament is set to take place? I'm unable to locate any details on the timing.

Also, ICC agreed to make it a 16 team tournament. So whoever said BD might not be playing, check your facts.

Definitely before the monsoon season!

ma_o_mati
April 5, 2013, 12:17 AM
personally I don't like opening ceremonies so i m not complaining. But we dont get to host world events every now and then. It wuldve been good to showcase our culture to the world once more. May be its better, who knows? Cuz our politicians finds ways to ruin everything..

Kabir
April 9, 2013, 08:35 PM
Definitely before the monsoon season!

Found it, it's March-April 2014 time frame.

ReZ_1
May 11, 2013, 11:57 AM
we will celebrate after winning the cup. why waste all the money in the beginning.

Lets put it this way, we are sure to lose, why wast money when we can't pass group stage?
we are starting to give demo from zim T20