PDA

View Full Version : Y ?

acker
April 5, 2004, 10:19 PM
Islam , Christianity & Judaism all believe in a single God.
The argument seems to be the "method" you use to believe in God.
We all know 1 + 1 = 2
So what if we arrive at the answer by different means.
For some it may be (. + . = ..) for others :heart:+:heart:=:heart::heart:.
At the end of the day some people are good natured and some are bad natured .
I personally dont beleive in any religion (thats my choice) , I was brang up christian , but became disillusioned with the various religous groups (catholics , anglicans , baptists , metodist's and pentocostal's etc) all saying that thier particular brand of religion was the only way to get salvation.
I am an admirer of John Lennons words in the song "Imagine" " a world without religion"
If that happened thier would be a lot less death and suffering , through the numerous acts being committed currently in the name of religion.

fab
April 5, 2004, 11:20 PM
What about the acts committed in the name of political ideology? I think they have killed far more people than religious wars.

acker
April 6, 2004, 12:17 AM
I can only handle one topic at a time Fab.
In answer to your question
Politics
Race
Greed
Madness
Envy
etc
all need to be addressed.

Zobair
April 6, 2004, 10:54 AM
that is difficult question to discuss on a message board...its too broad and can potentially go in any direction. But I will say this that blaming religion (particularly the world religions) for all the world problems or for that matter any problem is naive in my opinion. People often use religion for conflict as an excuse to hide their anger, envy, political ideology, insecurity (and the other stuff you mentioned in your second post) etc.

acker
April 6, 2004, 06:34 PM
Pompous

I take your opinion on board, but I personally dont agree with you.
I stand by my comments in the original post.

Zobair
April 6, 2004, 10:26 PM
sure thing acker.

we can agree to disagree. I simply can not see a sustainable society with out religion when I think it through.

acker
April 7, 2004, 12:31 AM
Well maybe in hind sight I should re phrase the original post a bit
Its not the original religions themselves that are the problem.
But more the interpretations that a few supposedly empowered modern day preachers/clerics(not all and not most) are reading or adding into the original writings of these religions.