PDA

View Full Version : Howard Stern's campaign for freedom of speech

oracle
April 30, 2004, 09:27 AM
Wow, he has been ballistic ever since the clearchannel episode. He has been on the attack day in and out. 70 percent of his show has been political since he was kicked.
Today, he dished out all the campaign contributions/statistics that some of these broadcasters make to the GOP.

From his site:

"If there is a bedrock principle of the first amendment, it is that the government may not prohibit the expression of an idea simply because society finds the idea itself offensive or disagreeable"

Justice William J. Brennan
Texas vs. Johnson.

Arnab
April 30, 2004, 09:40 AM
Hey, maybe our "moderators" have something to learn from that quote. I wish I had an option of pleading the first amendment on this board.

Saurav
April 30, 2004, 09:50 AM
I believe that the moderators here do a pretty good job. I have been to many forums, and without moderation it all becomes "****you-****you right back" kind of posts.

All these talk about free speech sounds and feels good, but implementing it to the hilt is hardly possible!

Zunaid
April 30, 2004, 09:58 AM
All fine and good - but trying to draw analogy between public (in the social sciences sense) amd private is kind of specious. This is a members only forum and we are all here on "sufferance". If tomorrow, Raj/Tehsin dictate that the only thing that we can only post the word "the" from now on - it is their right.

chinaman
April 30, 2004, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by Arnab
Hey, maybe our "moderators" have something to learn from that quote.Could not agree more with you. We learn everyday. Just learnt the other day, how some members do not shun prurient jocosities or eschew rhodomontade bombasts while others sedulously avoid polysyllabic profundities. (practicing, hope my keyboard doesn't break up) :lol:

Zunaid
April 30, 2004, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by chinaman
Originally posted by Arnab
Hey, maybe our "moderators" have something to learn from that quote.Could not agree more with you. We learn everyday. Just learnt the other day, how some members do not shun prurient jocosities or eschew rhodomontade bombasts while others sedulously avoid polysyllabic profundities. (practicing, hope my keyboard doesn't break up) :lol:

Aha - you've been googling me and my friend Shahriar!

chinaman
April 30, 2004, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Zunaid
Aha - you've been googling me and my friend Shahriar!

Poor me, you didn't left any other option open, boss.

Arnab
April 30, 2004, 11:37 AM
void main{

int i;
bool FreedomOfSpeech;

if (Banglacricket)
FreedomOfSpeech = 0;
else
FreedomOfSpeech = 1;

for(i=1; FreedomOfSpeech == 0; i++){

printf("I see nothing. I hear nothing. I say nothing.");

}

}

[Edited on 30-4-2004 by Arnab]

Tehsin
April 30, 2004, 01:23 PM
Take a time out. You need a break from this.

Also, do me a favor and delete the last post (posted on 30-4-2004 at 04:37 PM). It needs to be done today.

oracle
April 30, 2004, 01:50 PM
CNN (http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/TV/04/30/abc.nightline/index.html)

Back to the real issue.

The show, titled "The Fallen," will air at 11:35 p.m. Friday. In it, newsman Ted Koppel will read the names of the U.S. troops killed in action while their pictures are shown to viewers.

Sinclair, mentioned in the news above, was the conglomerate that was qouted by Stern.

Mahmood
May 1, 2004, 08:56 AM
Those of you who dont understand freedom of speech, I will lay it out clearly.

You can say whatever you want. You can do whatever you want. Thats your freedom.

Now, lets look at us, the moderators... we can moderate anything we want, we can allow only decent post if we want. Thats our freedom.

We are all free to do whatever we may choose.

Guys, wake up, this has nothing to do with freedom. This is a public board, and it is our responsibility to follow the rules to keep this board friendly and appropriate for all ages. And we should all do that.

Arnab
May 1, 2004, 12:10 PM
:)

One last zinger:

"As you know, these are open forums, you're able to come and listen to what I have to say." - George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., Oct. 28, 2003