PDA

View Full Version : EURO 2004 Prediction:

rassel
May 3, 2004, 10:58 AM
As for me, I have picked France to retain their title.

:lol:

[Edited on 25-6-2004 by rassel]

mahbubH
May 3, 2004, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by rassel
Here is my prediction for the final four: France, Germany, England, and Portugal

Germany? After Romania match!

FaltuRidwanBhai
May 3, 2004, 02:22 PM
jaihok,
ami kintu france ar supporter european league a. asha korbo tara bhalo korbe. jodio ami football khub atka dekhi na. tobuo ami kintu bishhakap football ebong european football follow kori. dannabad.

rassel
May 3, 2004, 03:11 PM
Germany? After Romania match! [/quote]

Friendly match is a joke! Nobody give 100% during this sort of match, beside they were without their best player including defenders Frank Baumann, Christian Woerns and Jens Nowotny, certainly their best player Michael Ballack as well. Most of their staring XI beside khan belongs in the second division.

One more thing, I recalled from the last World Cup they were one of the least favorite to go farther pass first round, but they ended up in the final, so my point is never count them out.
;)

[Edited on 4-5-2004 by rassel]

mahbubH
May 4, 2004, 01:02 AM

Most of their staring XI beside khan belongs in the second division.

;)

who will lead Germany's forward line .. I think all of them played in Romania game except that world cup hero (that Kaiserslaton guy is out of form this year)

[Edited on 4-5-2004 by rassel] [/quote]

rassel
May 4, 2004, 08:56 AM
Don’t worry, Ruddy knows the game well and will find somebody before EURO 2000 goes underway. There are plenty of world-class forward in the Bundesliga.

mahbubH
May 4, 2004, 10:54 AM
. Most of their staring XI beside khan belongs in the second division.

[/quote]

Here is the first 11 of Germany agianst Romania match
link (http://soccernet.espn.go.com/preview?id=150175&cc=5739)

Oliver Kahn; Arne Friedrich, Frank Baumann, Jens Nowotny, Philipp Lahm; Bernd Schneider, Dietmar Hamann, Michael Ballack, Thorsten Frings; Fredi Bobic, Kevin Kuranyi.

Do you know who of these players are from second divison of Bundeshleagua? I don't see any!

rassel
May 4, 2004, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by sports_fan_bd

Do you know who of these players are from second divison of Bundeshleagua? I don't see any!

That was a probable team. Many of those players did not take part in that game including all the name I mentioned in my above post! One more thing, I didn't say they are from second division, but they belong in that division. klose wasn't part of this game also, who was Germanys' leading goal scorer during world cup.

http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news?slug=ap-eurordp&prov=ap&type=lgns

[Edited on 4-5-2004 by rassel]

Sami
May 7, 2004, 08:49 PM
Spain will get the cup... They deserve a title... they are the best side in the european scene... but I dunno maybe they will stutter again in the big show... I so wanna see Raul and Morientes paired back again... Madrid messed up big time letting him out on a loan to Monaco... These 2 are one of the best attacking pairs in the world right now...

Germany sucsk big time... even the germans think germany sucks big time... :P

[Edited on 8-5-2004 by radicalsami : typo]

rassel
May 8, 2004, 10:43 AM
Sorry dude couldn’t agree with you that Spain will get the cup. They are simply not winning material; when it comes to major competitions.

Oh, by the way, Rauls’ days are numbered!
Can’t wait to see more magic from Henry though; simply goal scoring machine!
:P

Zephaniah
May 9, 2004, 09:37 AM
England will win the cup.

Sami
May 10, 2004, 10:59 AM
[i]Oh, by the way, Rauls’ days are numbered!

Raul is still a great striker... its just that with the inclusion of Ronaldo in Real he had to move out of his fave position and I dont think he is real comfortable with where he is playing now... getting Ronaldo in Real was a biiiiiiiiiig mistake by Madrid... getting Beckham just propagated the error...

James90
May 15, 2004, 08:33 PM
What's wrong with Turkey? They perform well in big tournaments

Zephaniah
May 15, 2004, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by Habibul_fan
What's wrong with Turkey? They perform well in big tournaments

Turkey didn't qualify.

Just in case you didn't know, mainly England ended their hope.

I think France will win it but i'll put my money on England.

rassel
May 19, 2004, 10:27 PM
England's Euro 2004 squad:

Goalkeepers: David James (Man City), Paul Robinson (Tottenham), Ian Walker (Leicester)
Defenders: Gary Neville (Man Utd), Phil Neville (Man Utd), Ashley Cole (Arsenal), Wayne Bridge (Chelsea), Sol Campbell (Arsenal), John Terry (Chelsea), Ledley King (Tottenham), Jamie Carragher (Liverpool).
Midfielders: David Beckham (Real Madrid), Paul Scholes (Man Utd), Nicky Butt (Man Utd), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), Owen Hargreaves (Bayern Munich), Kieron Dyer (Newcastle), Joe Cole (Chelsea)
Strikers: Michael Owen (Liverpool), Emile Heskey (Liverpool), Darius Vassell (Aston Villa), Wayne Rooney (Everton).
Standby: Jermain Defoe (Tottenham), Richard Wright (Everton), Matthew Upson (Birmingham), Gareth Southgate (Middlesbrough), Scott Parker (Chelsea), Alan Smith (Leeds).
(BBC)

james bettie should have been in this scuad! Ericson sucks!

:-/

Zephaniah
May 21, 2004, 12:50 AM
Does Ericsson suck? only few would know!:drool:

Batty deserves a place , right. But on broad note it would not matter. M. Owen gotta lift his game. He's been out of form quite a while now. Brilliant defence line and typical English midfield. I'm reasonably happy with the squad.

rassel
May 21, 2004, 12:26 PM
Erickson does sucks no matter what. All of the strikers he picked are practically out of form. I could see Owen and Rooney inclusion in the team, but inclusion of Heskey is totally out of blue. He is one of the worse strikers England right now. I think Erickson simply doesn’t like Bettie. Defoe would have been better choice than Heskey.:umm:

rassel
May 24, 2004, 12:45 PM
SWEDEN

Goalkeepers: Andreas Isaksson (Djurgarden), Magnus Hedman (Ancona, Italy), Magnus Kihlstedt (FC Copenhagen, Denmark)

Defenders: Erik Edman (Heerenveen, Netherlands), Teddy Lucic (Bayer Leverkusen, Germany), Olof Mellberg (Aston Villa, England), Johan Mjallby (Celtic, Scotland), Michael Svensson (Southampton, England), Andreas Jakobsson (Brondby, Denmark), Erik Wahlstedt (Helsingborg), Petter Hansson (Heerenveen, Netherlands)

Midfielders: Anders Andersson (Belenenses, Portugal), Kim Kallstrom (Stade Rennes, France), Tobias Linderoth (Everton, England), Fredrik Ljungberg (Arsenal, England), Mikael Nilsson (Halmstad), Anders Svensson (Southampton, England), Christian Wilhelmsson (Anderlecht, Belgium), Pontus Farnerud (Racing Strasbourg, France)

Strikers: Marcus Allback (Aston Villa, England), Zlatan Ibrahimovic (Ajax Amsterdam, Netherlands), Mattias Jonson (Brondby), Henrik Larsson (Celtic, Scotland)

Group D

CZECH REPUBLIC - 24-man squad for pre-Euro 2004 training camp, final 23 to be announced before deadline on June 2.

Goalkeepers: Jaromir Blazek (Sparta Prague), Petr Cech (Stade Rennes, France), Antonin Kinsky (Saturn Ramenskoje, Russia)

Defenders: Rene Bolf (Banik Ostrava), Zdenek Grygera (Ajax Amsterdam, Netherlands), Tomas Huebschman (Sparta Prague), Marek Jankulovski (Udinese, Italy), Martin Jiranek (Reggina, Italy), Pavel Mares (Zenit St Petersburg, Russia), David Rozehnal (Club Bruges, Belgium), Tomas Ujfalusi (Hamburg SV, Germany)

Midfielders: Tomas Galasek (Ajax Amsterdam, Netherlands), Pavel Nedved (Juventus,Italy), Jaroslav Plasil (Monaco, France), Karel Poborsky (Sparta Prague), Tomas Rosicky (Borussia Dortmund, Germany), Vladimir Smicer (Liverpool, England), Roman Tyce (TSV 1860 Munich, Germany), Stepan Vachousek (Olympique Marseille, France)

Forwards: Milan Baros (Liverpool, England), Marek Heinz (Banik Ostrava), Jan Koller (Borussia Dortmund, Germany), Vratislav Lokvenc (Kaiserslautern, Germany), Miroslav Matusovic (Banik Ostrava).

- - - -

LATVIA - 29-man preliminary squad, final 23 players will be announced on June 2.

Goalkeepers: Aleksandrs Kolinko (Rostov, Russia), Andrejs Piedels (Skonto Riga), Andrejs Pavlovs (Skonto Riga), Andris Vanins (Torpedo-Metallurg Moscow, Russia)

Defenders: Aleksandrs Isakovs (Skonto Riga), Mihails Zemlinskis (Skonto Riga), Igors Stepanovs (Beveren, Belgium), Olegs Blagonadezdins (Skonto Riga), Dzintars Zirnis (Metalurgs Liepaja), Arturs Zakresevskis (Skonto Riga), Maris Smirnovs (Ventspils), Igors Korablovs (Ventspils)

Midfielders: Imants Bleidelis (Viborg, Denmark), Juris Laizans (CSKA Moscow, Russia), Vitalijs Astafjevs (Admira Wacker, Austria), Andrejs Rubins (Shinnik Yaroslavl, Russia), Jurgis Pucinsks (Luch-Energia Vladivostock, Russia), Valentins Lobanovs (Metalurg Zaporizhya, Ukraine), Andrejs Stolcers (Fulham, England), Igors Semjonovs (Skonto Riga), Kristaps Blanks (Skonto Riga), Vladimirs Kolesnicenko (Skonto Riga)

Strikers: Maris Verpakovskis (Dynamo Kyiv, Ukraine), Marians Pahars (Southampton, England), Andrejs Prohorenkovs (Maccabi Tel Aviv, Israel), Vits Rimkus (Ventspils), Gatis Kalnins (Skonto Riga), Mihails Miholaps (Skonto Riga), Viktors Dobrecovs (Metalurgs Liepaja)

- - - -

GERMANY - Rudi Voeller has named a 22-man squad and will add a 23rd player before June 2.

Goalkeepers: Oliver Kahn (Bayern Munich), Jens Lehmann (Arsenal, England), Timo Hildebrand (VfB Stuttgart)

Defenders: Frank Baumann (Werder Bremen), Arne Friedrich (Hertha Berlin), Andreas Hinkel (VfB Stuttgart), Philipp Lahm (VfB Stuttgart), Jens Nowotny (Bayer Leverkusen), Christian Woerns (Borussia Dortmund), Christian Rahn (Hamburg SV)

Midfielders: Michael Ballack (Bayern Munich), Fabian Ernst (Werder Bremen), Paul Freier (VfL Bochum), Torsten Frings (Borussia Dortmund), Dietmar Hamann (Liverpool, England), Jens Jeremies (Bayern Munich), Sebastian Kehl (Borussia Dortmund), Bernd Schneider (Bayer Leverkusen)

Strikers: Fredi Bobic (Hertha Berlin), Thomas Brdaric (Hanover 96), Kevin Kuranyi (VfB Stuttgart), Miroslav Klose (Kaiserslautern)

- - - -

NETHERLANDS

Goalkeepers: Edwin van der Sar (Fulham, England), Ronald Waterreus (PSV Eindhoven), Sander Westerveld (Real Sociedad, Spain)

Defenders: Michael Reiziger (Barcelona, Spain), Johnny Heitinga (Ajax Amsterdam), Jaap Stam (Lazio, Italy), Frank de Boer (Rangers, Scotland), Giovanni van Bronckhorst (Barcelona, Spain), Wilfred Bouma (PSV Eindhoven)

Midfielders: Rafael van der Vaart (Ajax Amsterdam), Wesley Sneijder (Ajax Amsterdam), Edgar Davids (Barcelona, Spain), Clarence Seedorf (AC Milan, Italy), Philip Cocu (Barcelona, Spain), Boudewijn Zenden (Middlesbrough, England), Mark van Bommel (PSV Eindhoven)

Forwards: Ruud van Nistelrooy (Manchester United, England), Patrick Kluivert (Barcelona, Spain), Pierre van Hooijdonk (Fenerbahce, Turkey), Roy Makaay (Bayern Munich, Germany), Andy van der Meyde (Inter Milan, Italy), Marc Overmars (Barcelona, Spain), Arjen Robben (PSV Eindhoven).

http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news?slug=reu-eurosquadscollated_3&prov=reuters&type=lgns (http://)

[Edited on 24-5-2004 by rassel]

rassel
May 24, 2004, 12:49 PM
FRANCE

Goalkeepers: Fabien Barthez (Olympique Marseille), Gregory Coupet (Olympique Lyon), Mickael Landreau (Nantes)

Defenders: Jean-Alain Boumsong (Auxerre), Marcel Desailly (Chelsea, England), William Gallas (Chelsea, England), Bixente Lizarazu (Bayern Munich, Germany), Willy Sagnol (Bayern Munich, Germany), Mikael Silvestre (Manchester United, England), Lilian Thuram (Juventus, Italy).

Midfielders: Olivier Dacourt (AS Roma, Italy), Ludovic Giuly (Monaco), Claude Makelele (Chelsea, England), Benoit Pedretti (Sochaux), Robert Pires (Arsenal, England), Jerome Rothen (Monaco), Patrick Vieira (Arsenal, England), Zinedine Zidane (Real Madrid, Spain)

Strikers: Thierry Henry (Arsenal, England), Steve Marlet (Olympique Marseille), Louis Saha (Manchester United, England), David Trezeguet (Juventus, Italy), Sylvain Wiltord (Arsenal, England)

- - - -

SWITZERLAND - Coach Koebi Kuhn has named a 26-man squad which will be trimmed to 23 before June 2.

Goalkeepers: Fabrice Borer (Grasshoppers), Pascal Zuberbuehler (Basel), Joerg Stiel (Borussia Moenchengladbach, Germany).

Defenders: Bruno Berner (Freiburg, Germany), Bernt Haas (West Bromwich Albion, England), Stephane Henchoz (Liverpool, England), Stephane Grichting (AJ Auxerre, France), Patrick Mueller (Olympique Lyon, France), Remo Meyer (TSV 1860 Munich, Germany), Murat Yakin (Basel), Marco Zwyssig (Basel), Christoph Spycher (Grasshoppers), Ludovic Magnin (Werder Bremen, Germany)

Midfielders: Ricardo Cabanas (Grasshoppers), Fabio Celestini (Olympique Marseille, France), Raphael Wicky (Hamburg SV, Germany), Benjamin Huggel (Basel), Hakan Yakin (VfB Stuttgart, Germany), Johann Lonfat (Sochaux, France), Johann Vogel (PSV Eindhoven, Netherlands).

Strikers: Stephane Chapuisat (Young Boys), Alexander Frei (Stade Rennes, France), Milaim Rama (FC Thun), Marco Streller (VfB Stuttgart, Germany), Daniel Gygax (FC Zurich), Leonard Thurre (Servette)

Group C

BULGARIA

Goalkeepers: Zdravko Zdravkov (Litex Lovech), Dimitar Ivankov (Levski Sofia), Stoyan Kolev (CSKA Sofia)

Defenders: Vladimir Ivanov (Lokomotiv Plovdiv), Rosen Kirilov (Litex Lovech), Kiril Kotev (Lokomotiv Plovdiv), Predrag Pazhin (Shakhtar Donetsk, Ukraine), Zlatomir Zagorcic (Litex Lovech), Ivailo Petkov (Fenerbahce, Turkey), Ilian Stoyanov (Levski Sofia)

Midfielders: Marian Hristov (Kaiserslautern, Germany), Daniel Borimirov (Levski Sofia), Stilian Petrov (Celtic, Scotland), Milen Petkov (AEK Athens, Greece), Georgi Peev (Dynamo Kiev, Ukraine), Velizar Dimitrov (CSKA Sofia)

Forwards: Zoran Jankovic (Dalian Shide, China), Zdravko Lazarov (Gaziantepspor, Turkey), Martin Petrov (VfL Wolfsburg, Germany), Vladimir Manchev (Lille, France), Georgi Chilikov (Levski Sofia), Valeri Bojinov (Lecce, Italy), Dimitar Berbatov (Bayer Leverkusen, Germany)

- - - -

DENMARK - 21 man squad, two more names to be added before June 2 deadline. Expected to be defender Kasper Bogelund (PSV Eindhoven, Netherlands) and striker Peter Lovenkrands (Rangers, Scotland).

Goalkeepers: Thomas Sorensen (Aston Villa, England), Peter Skov-Jensen (FC Midtjylland), Stephan Andersen (AB Copenhagen)

Defenders: Thomas Helveg (Inter Milan, Italy), Per Kroldrup (Udinese, Italy), Brian Priske (Racing Genk, Belgium), Rene Henriksen (Panathinaikos, Greece), Niclas Jensen (Borussia Dortmund, Germany), Martin Laursen (AC Milan, Italy)

Midfielders: Thomas Gravesen (Everton, England), Claus Jensen (Charlton Athletic, England), Morten Wieghorst (Brondby), Daniel Jensen (Murcia, Spain), Christian Poulsen (Schalke 04, Germany)

Forwards: Jesper Gronkjaer (Chelsea, England), Ebbe Sand (Schalke 04, Germany), Jon Dahl Tomasson (AC Milan, Italy), Kenneth Perez (AZ Alkmaar, Netherlands), Peter Madsen (VfL Bochum, Germany) Dennis Rommedahl (PSV Eindhoven, Netherlands), Martin Joergensen (Udinese, Italy).

- - - -

ITALY - 23-man squad named for training camp. Official squad to be named on June 2.

Goalkeepers: Gianluigi Buffon (Juventus), Francesco Toldo (Inter Milan), Angelo Peruzzi (Lazio)

Defenders: Christian Panucci (AS Roma), Fabio Cannavaro (Inter Milan), Alessandro Nesta (AC Milan), Gianluca Zambrotta (Juventus), Massimo Oddo (Lazio), Giuseppe Favalli (Lazio), Matteo Ferrari (Parma), Marco Materazzi (Inter Milan).

Midfielders: Stefano Fiore (Lazio), Mauro Camoranesi (Juventus), Simone Perrotta (Chievo Verona), Cristiano Zanetti (Inter Milan), Gennaro Gattuso (AC Milan), Andrea Pirlo (AC Milan)

Forwards: Francesco Totti (AS Roma), Christian Vieri (Inter Milan), Alessandro Del Piero (Juventus), Bernardo Corradi (Lazio), Marco Di Vaio (Juventus), Antonio Cassano (AS Roma)

Zephaniah
May 24, 2004, 06:23 PM
Final result England beat Portugal 2-1 to win the trophy :lol:

rassel
May 27, 2004, 12:31 PM
LISBON (AFP) - Recently-crowned
European champions FC Porto will play a starring role in the Portuguese national side, with six players being called up to Luiz Felipe Scolari's Euro 2004 training camp on Friday.

FC Porto dominated Didier Deschamps' French outfit Monaco 3-0 in Wednesday's Champions League final to reclaim the trophy they won for the first time in 1987.

Now, it is hoped that the club's spate of recent success - they won the UEFA Cup after beating Scottish giants Celtic last year - will boost Portugal ahead of their hosting of the Euro 2004.

"It's a good feeling to have six European champions in the national team," beamed the president of the Portuguese federation, Gilberto Madail.

"I think that FC Porto have given us a huge boost - and I hope it will help motivate the national team even further."

Friday's training camp 80 kilometres north of the capital means there will be little rest for Porto defenders Nuno Valente, Paulo Ferreira and Ricardo Carvalho, and their midfield club-mates Deco, Costinha and Maniche, who partied along with 20,000 fans in the streets of Porto until early Thursday morning.

Scolari, who led Brazil to a fifth World Cup triumph in 2002 before taking over as coach of Portugal, is now just waiting on Paris St Germain striker Pauleta to complete his squad for the June 12-July 4 championships.

Pauleta will play for PSG in the French Cup final against second division Chateauroux on Saturday before joining his international team-mates on Sunday.

Scolari has however come under fire from some Portugal fans for not selecting FC Porto keeper Vitor Baia to his squad.

Baia is the only Portuguese player to have won the three most important trophies in European club football; the Cup Winners' Cup with Barcelona (1997), the UEFA Cup with FC Porto (2003) and the Champions League with FC Porto.

And the 34-year-old admitted he could not fathom Scolari's decision to leave him out.

"A goalkeeper in any other country with a similar story as mine over the past decade would be playing in the Euro, but unfortunately I'm not and there's nothing I can do about it."

Portugal will on Saturday play a Euro 2004 warm-up match against minnows Luxemburg in the north-west town of Agueda before facing Lithuania next week.

rassel
May 27, 2004, 04:22 PM
BERLIN, May 27 (Reuters) - Germany 7 Malta 0 - result

Friendly international in Freiburg

Scorers: Michael Ballack 15, 17, 59, 86, Jens Nowotny 33, Torsten Frings 42, Fredi Bobic 90+2

Red card: Mario Muscat (Malta) 78

Halftime: 4-0; Attendance: 22,000

oracle
June 8, 2004, 02:21 AM
Spain will win its match on saturday and go on all the way. 3 days to go.:great:

AsifTheManRahman
June 8, 2004, 11:31 AM
I don't know...I'll put my money for France.

England have a long history of hosting a bunch of party poopers who simply can't make it to the end; same for Portugal. As for Germany, they're a bunch of useless 20th century robots.

Shehwar
June 8, 2004, 12:12 PM
Holland ofcourse...KLUIVERT RULEZ !

rassel
June 8, 2004, 09:49 PM
France have gat all the firepower behind them to retain their cup; beside, they are definitely looking forward to erase the memory from the last world cup. They are lead by mighty zidane and off course the king Henry. This guy is unstoppable: throughout the last season he scored 33 times in the E.P.L only and many more in the F.A. cup and the Champion League as well. I am expecting this guy to decimate everything in his path and score tons of goals in this competition. I ain’t joking this guy is damn good! Watch and see! Long live henry!!!!!!

By the way, Portugal has a very good chance of winning this competition as well. It’s their home ground, and off course they have gat major boast from Porto amazing run in the Champion League.

:fire::fire::fire:

[Edited on 9-6-2004 by rassel : miss spelling]

Kalbaisakhi
June 12, 2004, 06:07 AM
Vote For france.Because Of their Attaking,Striking and Also diffending ability.But dont forget about Partugal, Because they are now Host.I also expect England and Italy because they are my most favorite.

Let seee what will happend.

:flag::flag::flag::flag::flag:

mzia
June 12, 2004, 09:22 AM
[Edited on 12-6-2004 by mzia : Failed to insert a Image]

rassel
June 12, 2004, 01:00 PM
Hosts Portugal made a nightmare start to their Euro 2004 campaign, suffering a shock defeat to unfancied Greece.
Porto's Estadio do Dragao was packed with thousands of expectant Portuguese fans for the opening game, but their team appeared hamstrung by nerves.

Georgios Karagounis pounced on a mistake by Paulo Ferreira to open the scoring after only six minutes.

Angelos Basinas' penalty made it 2-0 just after half-time, before Cristiano Ronaldo's injury-time consolation.

Having qualified for the tournament as hosts, Portugal were playing their first competitive match since losing to South Korea in the World Cup group stages two years ago.

That, as well as the pressure of a nation's hopes, clearly showed as Portugal struggled initially.

Greece carved out the first clearcut chance after just a minute, Angelos Haristeas failing to reach a Zisis Vryzas cross from eight yards.

And only six minutes later, the home fans were stunned when Greece opened the scoring.

Chelsea transfer target Ferreira gave the ball away to Karagounis who was allowed a free run on goal before he despatched a sweet strike into the bottom left-hand corner.

KEY MOMENTS
7 mins: Karagounis fires Greece into a shock lead
26 mins: Rui Costa misses a free header for Portugal
51 mins: Greece double their lead through Basinas' penalty
93 mins: Ronaldo fires home a late consolation
With Vyrsas causing panic in the Portugal's defence, and the hosts' keeper Ricardo looking decidedly jittery, Greece might have extended their lead.

Haristeas sliced his shot after being put through by another defensive mistake by Portugal, and Panagiotis Fyssas saw his volley fly well over the bar.

After quarter of an hour, Portugal finally began to find their feet.

And on 26 minutes, Rui Costa should have been celebrating the equaliser but after Ferreira found him unmarked in the box, the AC Milan midfielder could only direct his header tamely wide.

Portugal continued to have more of the ball but were let down by a lack of urgency in the final third of the pitch.

But just after half an hour, Greek keeper Antonios Nikopolidis bravely dived at Sabrosa Simao's feet as the midfielder looked to apply the finishing touch after turning his marker.

Portugal boss Luis Felipe Scolari responded to a lacklustre first half by replacing Simao and the ineffectual Rui Costa with Deco and Ronaldo.

But matters only got worse for the hosts.

Ronaldo made a clumsy challenge on Seitaridis and Basinas confidently stroked the resulting penalty into the top right-hand corner.

Even two goals behind, Portugal's lone striker Pauleta remained isolated up front and Greece's defence had a relatively easy task.

With 12 minutes remaining, Deco might have put Greece under pressure but after shaking off his marker, he sent a powerful strike high and wide.

Ronaldo converted a Figo cross in injury-time but it was too late to save his side and Portugal left the pitch with their championship hopes in the balance after only one game.

BBC Sports::wow:

[Edited on 12-6-2004 by rassel]

Navarene
June 12, 2004, 03:05 PM
I am not surprised, not even think that it was a shocking result. In fact these footies like Portugal and Spain are only good for their domestic leagues. You can never expect them coming up as a finalist in world cup/eauropean cups.

abhs
June 12, 2004, 10:17 PM
Valerón sparks Spanish win

by Matthew Spiro from the Estádio Algarve

An inspired substitution from coach Ińaki Sáez helped Spain get their UEFA EURO 2004™ campaign off to a perfect start in Faro-Loulé as Juan Carlos Valerón came off the bench to score with virtually his first touch and seal three important points in Group A.

Valerón for victory
With Greece having unexpectedly defeated hosts Portugal earlier in the day, both sides knew that a victory would make qualification for the quarter-finals a distinct possibility. However, in the event Valerón's cool finish on the hour proved enough, while Russia ended with ten men as Roman Sharonov was dismissed for a second yellow card having brought down substitute Fernando Torres.

Fitness boost
Spain lined up as expected after David Albelda shook off a muscle strain to link up with Valencia CF team-mate Rubén Baraja in midfield, while Joseba Etxeberria, Raúl González and Vicente Rodríguez formed an attacking trio behind Fernando Morientes. Russia adopted a more cautious approach, with coach Georgi Yartsev opting for Dmitri Bulykin as a lone striker, allowing winger Rolan Gusev to come into a five-man midfield.

Spanish surge
Spain started at a ferocious pace and had Russia's reorganised defence under pressure as early as the third minute. Baraja's pinpoint pass found Raúl in space in the penalty area but the Spanish striker shot wide of the far post. The Russians were soon stretched again as Raúl threaded a pass through for Morientes but his left-foot shot was blocked by Sharonov.

Izmailov influential
Spain continued to dominate territorially but Russia slowly gained in confidence and mounted their first serious attack on 16 minutes. Marat Izmailov's right-wing cross drifted over Carles Puyol to the ummarked Bulykin, but his tame volley was blocked. Izmailov was Russia's brightest player in the opening stages and he threatened again minutes later, flashing a long-range shot wide of Iker Casillas' far post.

Vicente verve
Vicente's influence on the left wing grew as the half went on and his darting burst and precise cross set up a glorious chance for Morientes on 36 minutes. The striker's header was brilliantly saved by Sergei Ovchinnikov and although the rebound fell to Etxeberria, he miscued from close range.

Casillas called upon
The chance brought the game to life and Dmitri Alenichev almost opened the scoring at the other end seconds later, jinking between Carlos Marchena and Puyol but Casillas was equal to his chip. Russia finished the half on top and Casillas had to be alert once more as Alenichev cut into the box after a quickly-taken corner and forced the goalkeeper to parry at the near post.

Raúl chance
Yartsev introduced playmaker Vladislav Radimov for Gusev at the break, but the second half started in similar vein to the first with a tide of Spain pressure. Etxeberria twice escaped his marker on the right wing, first cutting back for Baraja whose shot was blocked, then delivering a teasing cross that was headed wide of the far post by an unmarked Raúl.

Instant impact
Spain made their first changes just before the hour mark, with Valerón and Xabi Alonso replacing Morientes and Baraja - and the switch paid immediate dividends as Valerón scored within 36 seconds. Puyol burst past Dmitri Sennikov on the right and delivered a low cross that Valerón coolly worked onto his left foot to score from close range.

Spain on top
Russia reacted by sending on Dmitri Sychev as a second striker but the goal lifted the Spanish and they began playing with more fluency. Raúl might have doubled the lead, shrugging off two defenders before shooting just over from 20 metres while Vicente had two late chances, but Spain had already done enough.
Source: EURO2004 (http://www.euro2004.com/tournament/matches/round=1581/match=1059165/index.html)

rsanumber1
June 12, 2004, 10:59 PM
g'day rassel...

i am glad i find someone who is as keen about 'football' as i am!... cheers...

from your original post... you wrote...

"Here is my prediction for the final four: France, Germany, England, and Portugal"

did you know that this CANNOT happen as france and england are from group b and portugal is are group a... and will have to play a group b team in the quarter finals should they make it though (doubtful now that they've lost to greece)...

i look forward to groups c and d... both groups look to have the '3 doesn't go into 2' problem...

happy watching...

amy benson

rassel
June 13, 2004, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by rsanumber1
g'day rassel...

i am glad i find someone who is as keen about 'football' as i am!... cheers...

from your original post... you wrote...

"Here is my prediction for the final four: France, Germany, England, and Portugal"

did you know that this CANNOT happen as france and england are from group b and portugal is are group a... and will have to play a group b team in the quarter finals should they make it though (doubtful now that they've lost to greece)...

i look forward to groups c and d... both groups look to have the '3 doesn't go into 2' problem...

happy watching...

amy benson

I predicated this as a whole and didn’t expect England and France in the same group. As you can see, I started this thread quite a while ago. I really didn’t pay attention to who is in what group; in fact, I couldn’t even remember when the draws were held for the group stages of this competition. Anyhow, it will take hell of an effort from Portugal to overcome their poor start. Both Spain and Russia are quite capable of beating them as well. Nevertheless, anything is possible in football.

By the way, great to have you in this site of the forum; as you can see
not that many people interested in other sports. talk to you again later.
;)

rsanumber1
June 13, 2004, 12:53 AM
the draw for the finals was made late last year... you have no excuse! *cheeky grin*

italy have the 'best' draw... having no other 'big' team in their group... and not having to face the two fancied teams (portugal and france) in the quarters...

of the big teams... spain and england have poor draws... they have possible quarter final match-ups with france and portugal... thats IF they manage to make it through the group stage... if spain end up finishing first and portugal second in their group... i wonder how keen france are of finishing top and having to face the hosts in a 'revenge' match from the last euro...

as i see it... france might be the best team going around... but it is italy who have the slightly better chance with the draw the way it is...

to finish with couple of tips...

switzerland v croatia... expect goals... with france and england in their group... surely it'd be difficult for either side to qualify if they don't get three points here... attack attack attack...

england v france... this might be a cagey affair... a draw may suit both sides... 0-0 isn't out of the question... although... with the likes of henry, owen and trezeguet playing... 0-0 is indeed a brave call on my part...

happy watching!

rassel
June 13, 2004, 10:25 AM
Let’s wait and see. I don’t see game between England and France ending up in draw either. Like you said, when the big name like of Owen, trezeguet, and the king is around and not to mention all those offensive midfielders in both team. They are quite capable of scoring goals as well. Nevertheless, I can’t wait to see how Rooney cope with France’s formidable defensive lineup if he gets to start. :)

rsanumber1
June 13, 2004, 12:56 PM
a certain rsanumber1 said...

"switzerland v croatia... expect goals... with france and england in their group... surely it'd be difficult for either side to qualify if they don't get three points here... attack attack attack..."

9 yellows and a red card later... it finished 0-0... so much for expecting goals... however... they DID attack... there were actually more shots on target (11) than the first two matches (9 and 7)...

well done switzerland for holding on... croatia would have to be fairly disappointed with the final result...

france v england coming up... bring it ON!

rassel
June 13, 2004, 01:35 PM
It’s very welcoming news for both England and France. From this point on both of these countries have a fairly good chance of qualifying for the quarter final, no matter what the outcome between their match.

Bravo to Switzerland for their fighting performance!
:clap:

rassel
June 13, 2004, 01:37 PM
Sun 13 Jun, 7:04 PM

LEIRIA, Portugal (Reuters) - Ten-man Switzerland have battled to a goalless draw with a disappointing Croatia side in an ugly opening Euro 2004 Group B clash.

The result was frustrating for both sides as they had set out to claim victory knowing their next games are against the group favourites France and England.

Advertisement
Switzerland were reduced to 10 men when defensive midfielder Johann Vogel was sent off four minutes into the second half on Sunday for a second bookable offence.

Vogel had been shown his first yellow card after only four minutes for a foul on Niko Kovac and was dismissed when for another infringement in a melee of players just after the break.

The PSV Eindhoven man's yellow card was the sixth in a game that became increasingly disrupted by stoppages, several of them for simulation.

There was very little flowing football from either side with the Croatians seemingly intent on breaking up the rhythm of the game and trying to snatch a goal on the counter-attack.

This produced several ugly individual clashes and plenty of theatrical gestures as the card count rose steadily.

Swiss keeper Joerg Stiel was cautioned for dissent and Benjamin Huggel for a foul while Dado Prso, for diving, joined Nenad Bjelica, substitute Milan Rapaic and captain Boris Zivkovic who were booked for fouls and Ivica Mornar for diving.

view photo
Switzerland looked lively in attack and striker Alexander Frei warmed the hands of stand-in keeper Tomislav Butina with a crisp low shot, Tomislav Sokota replying in kind for Croatia.

Croatia quickened the pace at times, Kovac heading over the bar from a corner and then Ivica Olic clipping the bar from close range after Stiel had beaten out a Josip Simunic effort.

Prso had a half chance with a shot on the turn saved by Stiel and the keeper almost misjudged a bounce from a clearance, but in humid conditions, chances were few and far between.

rassel
June 13, 2004, 01:45 PM
ha! Rooney start! :great:

rsanumber1
June 13, 2004, 01:45 PM
oh... by the way...

where are you from and which team(s) do you support?

i am from australia and i support england... very very weird!

rassel
June 13, 2004, 01:48 PM
oh... by the way...

where are you from and which team(s) do you support?

i am from australia and i support england... very very weird!

check my location all the way from Palm Beach, Florida!
i support both! but big fan of the king!

rsanumber1
June 13, 2004, 01:50 PM
the 'king'? elvis?

florida... do you support the marlins?

rassel
June 13, 2004, 01:54 PM
the 'king'? elvis?

florida... do you support the marlins?

marlins who?! (i keed) not a big fan of baseball.

you know the king! henry the great!;)

rsanumber1
June 13, 2004, 01:58 PM
i am nowhere near as big a fan of 'the king'... i've supported manchester united ever since i was a kid!

how about cricket? which team(s) do you support?

rassel
June 13, 2004, 02:05 PM
Of course, Bangladesh! If you check my profile. You would see that I am from Dhaka, Bangladesh. So you can see why I support my country. Oh, by the way, I have been living in the U.S. for a quite a while!

One more thing, who do you support?

rsanumber1
June 13, 2004, 02:13 PM
i support all teams... i follow all teams... but i am more keen on rsa and aus than the others...

england playing a very positive game so far... but france already showing their class

rassel
June 13, 2004, 02:16 PM
i support all teams... i follow all teams... but i am more keen on rsa and aus than the others...

england playing a very positive game so far... but france already showing their class

of cousrse i could see that you from australia! by the way big fan of harry K. as well

rassel
June 13, 2004, 02:23 PM
Gat to go! We will talk again!
Damn! I am going to miss rest of the game!

rassel
June 13, 2004, 02:24 PM
frank gat it on time:great:

rassel
June 13, 2004, 02:26 PM
This game is getting interesting! Nevertheless, long way to go for England!

See y!

Navarene
June 13, 2004, 04:41 PM
England vs France took all my nerves to death! What a thrilling match was it!! And there came the magic moment when Jidane made James a fool of his own "inswinging" free kick. What a class...what a beauty!

I am sorry for those poor brit footies but the king Jidane(rassel, its not Henry) proves again why he deserves to be called an "artist".

rassel
June 14, 2004, 12:10 AM
Wow! What a game! Didn’t expect this outcome - two late goals in 90th minutes by mighty zidane! By the way, Navarane, you gat me their- as for me, Zidane is the king for this game and this game only! You will see what the real king is capable of as the competition progress. Nevertheless, Zidande prove its worth once more that why he is the best footballer alive in the world today.

:bravo:

[Edited on 14-6-2004 by rassel]

rassel
June 14, 2004, 01:23 PM
GUIMARAES, Portugal, June 14 (Reuters) - Denmark 0 Italy 0 - result

European Championship, Group C

Attendance: 29,595

:umm:

Zobair
June 14, 2004, 02:22 PM
What a game that was...IMO France played the better soccer...pleasing to the eye..smooth...attacking! England was ugly! They dominated England...They deserved to win the game :) Hats off to Zidane! HE is the DA man! The best footballer of his generation.

rassel
June 15, 2004, 03:39 PM
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20040615/capt.xpd15006152057.euro_2004_soc_nld_deu_xpd150.j pg

PORTO (Reuters) - A brilliant late goal from Ruud van Nistelrooy gave Netherlands a 1-1 draw with arch-rivals Germany in a Euro 2004 needle match which had looked beyond them until the striker intervened.

Germany, playing with unexpected assurance, had opened the scoring in the 30th minute when midfielder Torsten Frings curled an inswinging free kick past a forest of heads and Dutch keeper Edwin van der Sar to go in off the far post.

The Dutch had rarely threatened until van Nistelrooy sprung to life in the 81st minute, turning the ball acrobatically into the net from an Andy van der Meyde cross.

The two European heavyweights are tied in second place in Group D behind the Czech Republic who beat debutants Latvia 2-1 earlier in Aveiro.

[Edited on 15-6-2004 by rassel]

rassel
June 16, 2004, 01:08 PM
Greece 1 Spain 1 - result

Euro 2004, Group A

Scorers:

Greece - Angelos Haristeas 66

Spain - Fernando Morientes 28

Portugal 2 Russia 0
Scorers

Portugal- Nuno Maniche and Rui Costa

[Edited on 17-6-2004 by rassel]

oracle
June 16, 2004, 01:10 PM
Really impressed with greece. Hope they continue to surprise.:)

rassel
June 16, 2004, 01:25 PM
This group is getting interesting. Both Spain and Greece are in pretty good shape for qualifying for the quarter final.

As far as Portugal concern, the match against Russia could be their turning points. anything other than 3 points; they will be out of this competition for good

rassel
June 17, 2004, 10:10 AM
By Rex Gowar

GUIMARAES, Portugal, June 17 (Reuters) - Francesco Totti's three-match suspension for spitting at an opponent is a loss for football, Bulgaria coach Plamen Markov said on Thursday.

Markov compared the absence of Italy's Totti to Henrik Larsson's international retirement before he returned to score two goals in Sweden's 5-0 rout of Bulgaria at this tournament.

"I'm sorry that Totti won't be playing," Markov told Reuters. Bulgaria are in the same group as Italy.

"I liken his loss to that of Larsson. I was asked if I was sorry Larsson had come out of retirement after the result against Sweden and I said no.

"On an individual level I could be upset, but football would have been the loser. Those kind of players are good for football."

Totti was suspended for three matches on Thursday by UEFA after he spat at Denmark midfielder Christian Poulsen during Italy's 0-0 draw in their Group C opener in Guimaraes on Monday.

Markov said Italy would be able to make up for Totti's absence.

"Italy is a great football country, they have lots of good players who can stand in," he said.

"It's different for a small football country like Bulgaria. If we lost a good player it would be serious."

Sweden hit four second-half goals against Bulgaria in their opening Group C match on Monday. Markov's team play Denmark in Braga on Friday when Italy play Sweden.

rassel
June 17, 2004, 01:00 PM
http://euro2004.skysports.com/images/playerpics_sky/euro2004/live/rooney_becks.jpg

England put their Euro 2004 campaign back on track with a 3-0 win against ten-man Switzerland - with teenager Wayne Rooney the hero for the Three Lions in Coimbra.

The five o'clock heat seemed to affect both teams, but a move of genuine class from England unlocked the Swiss defence in the first half, and the win was all but secured when Bernt Haas was dismissed in the second half for two mistimed challenges.

18-year-old Rooney made history as the youngest player ever to score in the European Championship with the opener, and although he technically should not receive credit for England's second, it was his drive that cannoned from the post into goalkeeper Joerg Stiel and back into the Swiss net.

The arrival of substitutes Darius Vassel and Owen Hargreaves were the driving force behind England's second - the latter lumping the ball over the top and the Aston Villa man's pace and tenacity laying the ball on for Rooney to strike.

Two became three as the Swiss heads finally dropped, with a wonderful move that saw David Beckham feed Gary Neville -whose low cross was thumped home at the far post by Steven Gerrard.

Rooney's record-breaking first goal was critical after a poor start from his nation.

Ironically, considering the opposition, it was England who looked more like a nation speaking several different languages through the opening 23 minutes - with the Swiss taking advantage of a lack of cohesion through the midfield.

The powerful Benjamin Huggel and Alexander Frei looked sharp - although it quickly became clear that Switzerland saw set pieces as their best chance of penetrating the England rear-guard.

Hakan Yakin's dangerous corners and free-kick's looked dangerous - with Steven Gerrard fortunate to see a defensive header fly narrowly over David James' goal and Murat Yakin was inches from connecting with another of his brother's crosses.

But in England's first meaningful passage of play, four star players combined to create a fine opener that settled the nerves.

Gerrard's tenacity allowed Beckham the ball in a dangerous position and the England captain did not disappoint - his vision and quality finding Owen in space on the left hand side of the area.

Owen checked inside, but unselfishly chose to cross the ball in and Rooney was on hand to head home with aplomb and wheel away to celebrate his record breaking achievement.

England were suddenly on the ascendancy, but Switzerland still looked dangerous on the break and Frei directed a header wide when Huggel was better placed beyond him as the cross came in from Christoph Spycher.

Frank Lampard very nearly laid on a second, but his cutback was awkward for Scholes, whose shot was deflected wide.

A clever free-kick saw Ashley Cole escape down the left - but his low hard cross across the face of the goal evaded the oncoming Owen.

However, England's domination began to evaporate - and when Frank Lampard was harshly adjudged to have had afoot too high as he tackled on the edge of his own box Hakan Yakin's shot was inches wide - unlike a similar effort by Zinedine Zidane in England's last game.

Switzerland continued to look dangerous right up until they were reduced to ten men, for the second time in two Euro 2004 matches.

Haas had already been booked for a late but not terrible challenge on Gerrard on 49, when he flew in against Ashley Cole and was sent off with 32 minutes left on the clock.

As the scoreline took on an encouraging gloss in the final stages - Vassell continued to shine in place of the largely ineffective Owen a solo run not bringing the finish and goal he deserved for his efforts.

The Swiss deserve credit for their resistance - and if they had taken one of their early chances this may have been a very different game.

But instead, it was untidy, scrappy, but eventually emphatic and exactly what England needed to ensure their fate is in their own hands when the play Croatia in the final group game. (Sky Sports)

Rooney

AsifTheManRahman
June 17, 2004, 01:12 PM
yay...go england!!!

can't wait till croatia kick some french butt a few hours from now...:lol:

rassel
June 17, 2004, 01:26 PM
Keep on dreaming asif! Wait till see barrage of goals from France tonight!;)

rassel
June 17, 2004, 03:12 PM
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20040617/capt.lon85406171941.euro_2004_soc_gbr_xen_lon854.j pg

England soccer fans enjoy themselves in Coimbra, Portugal, Thursday June 17, 2004, ahead of England's Group B, Euro 2004 soccer match against Switzerland at Cidade de Coimbra on Thursday.
(AP Photo/Owen Humphreys/PA)

Navarene
June 17, 2004, 03:50 PM
Croatia 2 France 2 ;)

rassel
June 17, 2004, 06:20 PM
No matter what! France will qualify for the quarter final! ;)

rassel
June 18, 2004, 11:43 PM
TextEuro 2004, Group C
Euro-Italy 1 Sweden 1 - result

Italy 1 Sweden 1 - result

Scorers:

Italy - Antonio Cassano 37

Sweden - Zlatan Ibrahimovic 85

Bulgaria 0 Denmark 2 - result

Scorers: Jon Dahl Tomasson 44, Jesper Gronkjaer 90+2

Red card: Stilian Petrov (Bulgaria) 83

Italy

:P

mahbubH
June 19, 2004, 02:37 PM
Halftime score:

Holland 2 --- Czech 1

This is the best match of the tournament so far!!! Expecting a great 2nd half and Holland win :lol:

reverse_swing
June 19, 2004, 03:37 PM
one of the best match I have ever seen.

Final Score: Holland 2 Czech Republic 3

rassel
June 19, 2004, 03:41 PM
Latvia 0, Germany 0

PORTO, Portugal (AP) -- Latvia produced one of the biggest surprises in European Championship history Saturday by playing to a 0-0 tie against three-time champion Germany.

The draw leaves the Germans with just two points from two matches and in danger of being eliminated in the first round for the second straight time.

Germany plays its next match Wednesday against the Czech Republic, which played the Netherlands later Saturday.

Latvia, a 500-1 long shot entering Euro 2004, thought it had a scoring chance when striker Maris Verpakovskis was brought down by Frank Baumann. But English referee Mike Riley did not call a penalty on the play.

Just before halftime, Latvia almost scored but German goalkeeper Oliver Kahn stopped a low shot from Verpakovskis.

Miroslav Klose nearly won the game for the Germans in penalty time, but his header from about 15 feet went wide of the goal.

``We had our chances but we couldn't convert them, that was our problem,'' German midfielder Philipp Lahm said. ``The group is still wide open, there's still a chance to advance.''

mahbubH
June 19, 2004, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by reverse_swing
one of the best match I have ever seen.

Final Score: Holland 2 Czech Republic 3

Hope Czech keep playing like this and get get at least one point from Germany match.... and Holland :-/

rassel
June 19, 2004, 03:44 PM
one of the biggest come back!
bravo to CZECH REPUBLIC!

oracle
June 19, 2004, 03:52 PM
Man, missed this match.
Must have been awesome. Upset of the tournament? I guess.:mad:
All the favoured teams are struggling except France. Looks ominous, we will probably see France all the way.

Navarene
June 19, 2004, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by oracle
Man, missed this match.
Must have been awesome. Upset of the tournament?
nooo..I don't consider it an upset of the tournament. Out of the last 3 times Netherlands met Czech Republic, Czech drew 2 and won one against them. 3-2 was a well deserved win for them. A real dark horse! I have always been a big fan of the boys from the land of Kafka.

Nedved is the best footie along with Zidane in this tournie.

reverse_swing
June 19, 2004, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Navarene
Man, missed this match.
Must have been awesome. Upset of the tournament?
nooo..I don't consider it an upset of the tournament. Out of the last 3 times Netherlands met Czech Republic, Czech drew 2 and won one against them. 3-2 was a well deserved win for them. A real dark horse! I have always been a big fan of the boys from the land of Kafka.

Nedved is the best footie along with Zidane in this tournie.

yep this is not an upset.I think Nedved is also current European Footballer of the year.

reverse_swing
June 19, 2004, 04:20 PM

All the favoured teams are struggling except France. Looks ominous, we will probably see France all the way.

I think they are the luckiest team so far.If they play like this then I don't think they have any chance.

[Edited on 19-6-2004 by reverse_swing]

rassel
June 19, 2004, 04:21 PM
1 Brazil 842 1 0 1 0
2 France 812 2 0 2 0
3 Spain 785 3 0 3 0
4 Mexico 735 6 2 7 3
5 Argentina 733 5 0 5 0
5 Netherlands 733 4 -1 4 -1
5 Turkey 733 7 2 8 3
8 Germany 726 9 1 12 4
9 USA 724 8 -1 11 2
10 Italy 723 11 1 10 0
11 Czech Republic 719 10 -1 6 -5

it's an upset if you check the FIFA ranking beside you don't see Czech Republic competing in a major competation like this very often!

reverse_swing
June 19, 2004, 04:24 PM
1 Brazil 842 1 0 1 0
2 France 812 2 0 2 0
3 Spain 785 3 0 3 0
4 Mexico 735 6 2 7 3
5 Argentina 733 5 0 5 0
5 Netherlands 733 4 -1 4 -1
5 Turkey 733 7 2 8 3
8 Germany 726 9 1 12 4
9 USA 724 8 -1 11 2
10 Italy 723 11 1 10 0
11 Czech Republic 719 10 -1 6 -5

it's an upset if you check the FIFA ranking beside you don't see Czech Republic competing in a major competation like this very often!

No one cares FIFA ranking.Another thing this Czech Republic is a new country.It gained total independence in 1993 (splitting from Slovakia), with each forming a separate country. Personally I'm upset because I always support Holland.

[Edited on 19-6-2004 by reverse_swing]

rassel
June 19, 2004, 04:31 PM
You don't care about FIFA ranking! Everydoy else dose; beside, you don’t see any country complaining about the ranking system.

reverse_swing
June 19, 2004, 04:33 PM
You don't care about FIFA ranking! Everydoy else dose; beside, you don’t see any country complaining about the ranking system.
really? lol.

USA number 9:)

rassel
June 19, 2004, 04:37 PM
really? lol.

USA number 9:)

cuz they are better than England! that's for sure!

reverse_swing
June 19, 2004, 04:38 PM
LOL. FIFA ranking is a total crap. And I don't support England brother.

rassel
June 19, 2004, 04:40 PM
LOL. FIFA ranking is a total crap. And I don't support England brother.

ha ha...... so which ranking rules by you:-/

AsifTheManRahman
June 20, 2004, 01:19 AM

what did i say? france to churi koira jitse...:lol:

rassel
June 20, 2004, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by AsifTheManRahman

what did i say? france to churi koira jitse...:lol:

Anyhow Asif, they are going to go on to win the cup once more!:lol:

rassel
June 20, 2004, 02:01 PM
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20040620/capt.xpja11006201838.euro_2004_prt_esp_soc_xpja110 .jpg

[Edited on 20-6-2004 by rassel]

(ap):lol:

[Edited on 20-6-2004 by rassel]

rsanumber1
June 20, 2004, 11:14 PM
rassel...

a 2-2 result between denmark and sweden would put the italians OUT...

do you buy this conspiricy theory?

rassel
June 21, 2004, 12:01 AM
No way! I don’t see this is happening unless some unfortunate bad luck is on the horizon for the Italian side! Denmark and Sweden are definitely a fighter! That’s why they have come in this competition and previously in the last world Cup as well. One more thing, Larsson and Thomason don’t lay down for anybody! I have seen them playing; they are just simply goal scoring machine. So, expect a mine boggling match between these two sides.

By the way, Italian have worries of their own because Bulgaria might have the last laugh. You know what I am saying!
;)

rsanumber1
June 21, 2004, 03:55 AM
not really...

bulgaria have players on suspension... i 'expect' the italians to get to '2-0' and 'sit' on that score...

that way... even a 1-1 scoreline between denmark and sweden will still see the italians qualify...

basically... the 'maximum' result italy can get is 2-0... there is no difference between that and 10-0

for italy to 'top' the group... they will need

a) denmark 0 sweden 0
b) to beat bulgaria by at least at least 5 goals but NOT 5-0

happy viewing...

FaltuRidwanBhai
June 21, 2004, 10:24 AM
jaihok,
ami kintu france ar supporter. jodio ditiyo match a tara kintu khub akta bhalo korte pare ni. tobe shob cheye baje lage amar germany ar khela. karon they are too rough. amar akta jinish bhalo lage je tara besh porisromi shob shomoy tara besh doura douri kore kintu tader ai ojotha foul korar bishoyta kintu amar motai bhalo lage na. dannabad.

rassel
June 21, 2004, 03:39 PM
COIMBRA, Portugal, June 21 (Reuters) -

Switzerland 1 France 3 - result

Euro 2004, Group B

Scorers:

Switzerland - Johann Vonlanthen 26

France - Zinedine Zidane 20, Thierry Henry 76, 84

:fire::fire:

rassel
June 21, 2004, 03:42 PM
LISBON, June 21 (Reuters) - Croatia 2 England 4 result
Euro 2004, Group B

Scorers:

Croatia - Niko Kovac 5, Igor Tudor 73 England - Paul Scholes 40, Wayne Rooney 45+1, 68, Frank Lampard 79

bravo to Rooney! He is definitely a fire cracker!

:clap::bravo::clap:

FaltuRidwanBhai
June 22, 2004, 04:05 AM
jaihok,
ajke kintu khela hobe denmark vs. sweden ebong bulgaria vs. italy. ak matro akhon porjonto kintu ai group ai kintu akhono nishchit hoi nee shesh ate ke jabe. tobe italy ar bhaggo kintu ajke onekkhani zhulche denmark vs. sweden ar khelar upor. dekha jak shesh porjonto ke jai. tobe ai char team ar kono team niyai kintu amar khbu akta asha nai. dannabad.

rassel
June 22, 2004, 03:38 PM
check this out!

Final result

Sweden 2 Denmark 2

Scorers

Sweden - Henrik Larsson 47pen, Mattias Jonson 89
Denmark - Jon Dahl Tomasson 28, 66

Italy 2 bulgaria1

Scorers:

Italy - Simone Perrotta 48, Antonio Cassano 90+4

Bulgaria - Martin Petrov 45pen

:lol::umm::lol:

[Edited on 22-6-2004 by rassel]

Carte Blanche
June 22, 2004, 03:46 PM
Heartbreaking exit for italy. They played their heart out. The late goal just wasn't enough. Very poor officiating through out the game. Italy deserved at least 2 penalties in the 2nd half. Oh well!

Navarene
June 22, 2004, 03:54 PM
Haha...no wonder about Swed-Denmark result. Patano khelar ojjol drishtanto!

To boot Italy out of tournie, the final score should have been 2-2 to make sure both the vikings are on the last 8. And that's what exactly happened :bravo:

[Edited on 22-6-2004 by Navarene]

Carte Blanche
June 22, 2004, 03:56 PM
No kidding eh!! It p***ed me off the way they orchestrated this farcical 2-2 tie. Was it a coincidence? Think not.

rsanumber1
June 22, 2004, 04:06 PM
$$$$$$$$$$

lots of punters caught the 2-2 result... and the draw...

the odds for a 2-2 result between two fairly even sides is normally about 16 to 1... but for this particular fixture it was backed down to the odds of 4 to 1...

i shall buy a round of drinks for anyone who has talked about this game on this thread before kickoff... drinks are on me!

it is going to be denmark v czech republic... what a cracker! two sides who are willing to play football!

cheers...

happy viewing everyone...

reverse_swing
June 22, 2004, 05:05 PM
Haha...no wonder about Swed-Denmark result. Patano khelar ojjol drishtanto!

[Edited on 22-6-2004 by Navarene]

Have u seen that match? It seems to me that it was not fixed( u may want to give last 30 seconds example specially after that 2-2 score). However if this conspiracy theory is true then all of them should get Oscar.

[Edited on 22-6-2004 by reverse_swing]

reverse_swing
June 22, 2004, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by Carte Blanche
Very poor officiating through out the game. Italy deserved at least 2 penalties in the 2nd half. Oh well!

yep they were really unlucky but they are responsible for this. In their last match they missed 5/6 clear chances against Sweden.

oracle
June 22, 2004, 06:28 PM
I am surprised there all these bangali Italy fans there, still. Get over it. It is not the same azzuri team.
This team is useless, 2-1 against Bulgaria, cmon, They dont deserve qtr finals.:)

Zobair
June 22, 2004, 06:30 PM
I watched the denmark-sweden game...It certainly did not look fixed to me at all...Denmark produced quite a number of goal-scoring opportunities and were unlucky not to put in a couple more....Sweden played well too...All the goals seemed fair and square to me. Italy! too little too late! Tough!

reverse_swing
June 22, 2004, 06:32 PM
I am surprised there all these bangali Italy fans there, still. Get over it. It is not the same azzuri team.
This team is useless, 2-1 against Bulgaria, cmon, They dont deserve qtr finals.:)

well said Oracle Bhai. eisob buira dhamra dia tournament jeta jai na. Del piaro Viery r kotodin? Italy are still to score more than two goals in a European Championship match, having appeared in 23 encounters in this competition.

reverse_swing
June 22, 2004, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by pompous
It certainly did not look fixed to me at all...Denmark produced quite a number of goal-scoring opportunities and were unlucky not to put in a couple more

Spot on!

Navarene
June 22, 2004, 07:03 PM
Ok, its now moot and academic to argue if Sweden-Denmark match was fixed. What surprised me most(and every soccer fan was well aware of that) was that the result must be a 2-2 draw to confirm both the teams to cement a place for quarter final.

If Denmark and Sweden draw 2-2 then Italy are out even if they win 25-0 over Bulgaria as they have scored less goals in the direct encounters with the top sides. Only a high score draw between Denmark and Sweden will put them both thru. This is exactly what happened! Denmark drew the match with last minute goal. Is this a miracle? Or I sniff too much of a match fixing? We will never know.

Let me take you through the various scenarios just to clear that up.

Swe 0-0 Den & Italy 1-0 Bul - Sweden and Italy
Swe 1-1 Den & Italy 1-0 Bul - Sweden and Denmark
Swe 1-1 Den & Italy 2-0 Bul - Sweden and Italy
Swe 1-1 Den & Italy 3-1 Bul - Sweden and Italy
Swe 2-2 Den & Italy 10-0 Bul - Sweden and Denmark
** the teams in bold would go through

reverse_swing
June 22, 2004, 07:08 PM
Ok, its now moot and academic to argue if Sweden-Denmark match was fixed. What surprised me most(and every soccer fan was well aware of that) was that the result must be a 2-2 draw to confirm both the teams to cement a place for quarter final.

If Denmark and Sweden draw 2-2 then Italy are out even if they win 25-0 over Bulgaria as they have scored less goals in the direct encounters with the top sides. Only a high score draw between Denmark and Sweden will put them both thru. This is exactly what happened! Denmark drew the match with last minute goal. Is this a miracle? Or I sniff too much of a match fixing? We will never know.

Let me take you through the various scenarios just to clear that up.

Swe 0-0 Den & Italy 1-0 Bul - Sweden and Italy
Swe 1-1 Den & Italy 1-0 Bul - Sweden and Denmark
Swe 1-1 Den & Italy 2-0 Bul - Sweden and Italy
Swe 1-1 Den & Italy 3-1 Bul - Sweden and Italy
Swe 2-2 Den & Italy 10-0 Bul - Sweden and Denmark
** the teams in bold would go through

It's very difficult to say that. I think u should watch this match first.

reverse_swing
June 22, 2004, 07:11 PM
This is just a coincidence.

rassel
June 22, 2004, 07:19 PM
Italy has no right to blame other than themselves. To begin with, they brought this situation on their own. If they had won a game at the first place (they had opportunities against Sweden, but they blow it) they would have been in the quarter final anyway. Nevertheless, Italy does suck now days! I am glad they are out. Look at Sweden and Denmark: they both have beaten Bulgaria comprehensively; on the other hand, it took Italy extra time to salvage a win. So, my point is Italian side is no longer good enough anymore to be rank as high as top gun of Europe now days (Country such as France and England).

PS: no more whining please! It’s part of the game. You have gat to live with it.

:duh:

Zobair
June 22, 2004, 07:45 PM
I agree....Sweden and Denmark are simply better than the current Italian team. Both deserved to go to the QF ahead of Italy. I repeat I saw the match...and those goals were simply impossible to fix...just watch the goals and you will know what I am talking about...I play in the local corporate league as a right back and my opinion partially comes from my experience.

Italy has no right to blame other than themselves. To begin with, they brought this situation on their own. If they had won a game at the first place (they had opportunities against Sweden, but they blow it) they would have been in the quarter final anyway. Nevertheless, Italy does suck now days! I am glad they are out. Look at Sweden and Denmark: they both have beaten Bulgaria comprehensively; on the other hand, it took Italy extra time to salvage a win. So, my point is Italian side is no longer good enough anymore to be rank as high as top gun of Europe now days (Country such as France and England).

PS: no more whining please! It’s part of the game. You have gat to live with it.

:duh:

FaltuRidwanBhai
June 22, 2004, 07:56 PM
jaihok,
durbhaggo italy je tara bad bore gelo. ebong shai shathe durbhaggo kintu spain ero. tobe aro dukkhojonok beppar hochhe italy ar coach eta mene nite pare ni je tar dol quarter final a uthte pareni. tobe tar jonno tini je boktobbo diyechen ami mone kori je akjon coach hishbe kintu tini a kotha bolte parenna. eta amon noi je prothom thekai italy ar quarter final a uthar bepar ta a match ar folafol ar upor nirdharito chilo. tader shamne aro shujog chilo. tobe sheta tara kaje lagate pareni ebong jar jonno tara quarter final a uthte pare ni. tobe ar jonno tara kokhonoi onno kono dolke accuse korte pare na. dannabad.

Carte Blanche
June 22, 2004, 08:23 PM

Haha good point. I'm actually a Netherlands fan. But was rooting for Italia in this group.

And yes, Nav. I agree with you.

FaltuRidwanBhai
June 22, 2004, 08:29 PM
jaihok,
oghoton na ghotle kintu amar mone hochhe final a bekham ar doler zidaner shonge dekha howar shombhabona royeche. ajke kintu prothom round ar shesh duti khela royeche. asha korbo czech ra tader protishodh nite shokkhom hobe micheal ballack ar team ar upor. karon i dont want germany to go in the second round at any cost. betara beshi foul khele. hala parosna parosna. kintu laththa laththi korosh killiga. latvia ar khelar din kirokom kuttar moton foul korlo. i hope latvia gets in. that will be the most surprising oghoton in this cup. dannabad.

rassel
June 23, 2004, 02:23 PM
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20040623/capt.xpmb10406231824.euro_2004_soc_nld_lva_xpmb104 .jpg

rsanumber1
June 23, 2004, 02:43 PM
at the half...

latvia 0 netherlands 2
czech republic 0 germany 0

not looking good for the germans... the 2nd string czech team are outplaying them in the midfield!

200SX
June 23, 2004, 02:45 PM
germens shud looking for the return ticket for home.........

reverse_swing
June 23, 2004, 02:46 PM
at the half...

the 2nd string czech team are outplaying them in the midfield!

yep in fact Pavel Nedved, Tomas Rosicky, Jan Koller and Milan Baros are all out of the line-up, and are just four of a total of nine changes.

:)

rassel
June 23, 2004, 02:47 PM
Czech Republic holding Germany 1-1 at halftime

200SX
June 23, 2004, 02:48 PM
Here is my prediction for the final four: France, Germany, England, and Portugal

Rassel ur prediction is wrong!

rassel
June 23, 2004, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by 200SX

Rassel ur prediction is wrong!

you living in the past bro! we already talk about my prediction!;)

rassel
June 23, 2004, 02:52 PM

not quite! Ballack still gat something left to give!

reverse_swing
June 23, 2004, 02:55 PM
I hope this Czech Republic (Ex Czechoslovakia) B team will beat Germany today & it will be their 4th win against Germany if they able to do so.Most famous one was 76' final in which they bt Germany in the final.

[Edited on 23-6-2004 by reverse_swing]

200SX
June 23, 2004, 03:13 PM

not quite! Ballack still gat something left to give!

sorry buddy ballack cant do nething, coz czech got Blazek....n on the other hand nederland is goin in quarter final so... they r must goin home...

here is some commentry from

Euro 2004 official cite (http://www.euro2004.com/index.html)

64' Ballack (Germany) misses the target. Germany have increased the pressure on their opponents now and have almost all of the possession. Ballack sees his dangerous shot whistle just past Blazek's left-hand post.

66' Ballack (Germany) hits the post.

66' Blazek (Czech Republic) makes a save.

rassel
June 23, 2004, 03:15 PM
here is a final outcome: germany 2 Republic 1: dutch is going out no matter how many goal they score aganist Latvia;)

rassel
June 23, 2004, 03:19 PM
bad news for germany republic lead by 2 to 1

200SX
June 23, 2004, 03:22 PM
here is a final outcome: germany 2 Republic 1: dutch is going out no matter how many goal they score aganist Latvia;)

77' Baroš (Czech Republic) scores! The substitute is played in by Heinz and he takes on Wörns and Nowotny. He beats them both and, although his first shot is saved by Kahn, he picks up the rebound and rolls the ball into an empty net.:great:

rassel
June 23, 2004, 03:27 PM
What can you expect from toothless German strikers: i don't even know if they had any forward lined up for this game? Only I see are bunch of crapy midfielder except Ballack!:umm:

200SX
June 23, 2004, 03:30 PM
What can you expect from toothless German strikers: i don't even know if they had any forward lined up for this game? Only I see are bunch of crapy midfielder except Ballack!:umm:

U R RITE BRO, SCHNEIDER N PODOLOSKI MISSED ABOUT HALF DOZENS CHANCE

rassel
June 23, 2004, 03:33 PM
i will talk to you again 200sx. gat to go!

By the way, I am not German fan. I really don’t care whether they go the quarter final or not. Since I worship the king henry; I have become a hardcore France supporter!;)

200SX
June 23, 2004, 03:37 PM
SO THIS IS THE STANDING OF EURO 2004 QUARTERFINAL...

1. PORTUGAL vs ENGLAND
2. FRANCE vs GREECE
3. SWEEDEN vs NEDERLAND
4. DENMARK vs CZECH REP

===========================
MY PREDICTION FOR SEMI FINAL

ENGLAND
FRANCE
SWEEDEN
CZECH REP

ENGLAND vs FRANCE ---FINAL
---------------------------------
ENGLAND THE NEW CHAMP:great::bravo:

200SX
June 23, 2004, 03:40 PM

By the way, I am not German fan. I really don’t care whether they go the quarter final or not. Since I worship the king henry; I have become a hardcore France supporter!;)

BUDDY U R FAN OF FRANCE N I GO FOR THE BRITISH, SO ITS A REAL BETTLE BETWEEN U N US........NO METTER HOW WE GONA C IN FINAL.........

CHEEERS:clap:

reverse_swing
June 23, 2004, 03:45 PM
SO THIS IS THE STANDING OF EURO 2004 QUARTERFINAL...

1. PORTUGAL vs ENGLAND
2. FRANCE vs GREECE
3. SWEEDEN vs NEDERLAND
4. DENMARK vs CZECH REP

===========================
MY PREDICTION FOR SEMI FINAL

ENGLAND
FRANCE
SWEEDEN
CZECH REP

ENGLAND vs FRANCE ---FINAL
---------------------------------
ENGLAND THE NEW CHAMP:great::bravo:

My prediction for SF:

France vs Czech Rep

&

Holland vs England/Portugal

FaltuRidwanBhai
June 23, 2004, 08:34 PM
jaihok,
gotokalker khelay kintu aro akti boro dol bad pore gelo. spain ebong italy ar shathe kintu kalke firti pother ticket katlo oliver khan ar dolo. oliver khan onnanno khelay durbheddo thakleo gotokalke kintu czech akromoner kache mukh thubre poren kintu tini. du bar kintu takte lokkhobhed kora hoi. onno dike kintu matro akbar goal dite shokkhom hon gerymany doler strikarra. echara gotokalker arek khelay ar ak favorite dol holland tara kintu prothomo du match a chomot dekhano ebong loraku monobhaber latvia ke 3 - 0 goal a porajito korte shokkhom hoi. ebong ari shathe pray hariye jawa holland jeno kichuta holeo pran fire pelo tara. 2nd round a kintu tara uthe gelo czech republic ar shathe. ebong ai muhurte kintu purno 9 point royeche kintu shudhu czech republic ar. dannabad.

Huda
June 24, 2004, 02:21 AM

BUDDY U R FAN OF FRANCE N I GO FOR THE BRITISH, SO ITS A REAL BETTLE BETWEEN U N US........NO METTER HOW WE GONA C IN FINAL.........

CHEEERS:clap:

theres no such thing as the british football team, its the english football team- british includes scotland, wales, and NI, theses are all separate footballing countries :)

200SX
June 24, 2004, 07:01 AM
thnx huda bhai for tht........

200SX
June 24, 2004, 09:30 AM
English coach is planning for penalty shoot out........he already identified who will take penalties in the event of a shoot-out with Portugal in the Euro 2004 quarter-final. Rooney, Michael Owen, David Beckham, Frank Lampard, Steven Gerrard and Paul Scholes will be in Eriksson's initial batch of penalty-takers although the order is still undecided.

that means english might b seen playin deffencive football....

The team first line up might b unchanged.....

Portugease r ready for tht match as well.......their coach is confident abt them but he think england will b strong as well...

England are well-organised opponents. They will be very strong

Luiz Feilpe Scolari
Portugal coach

the key player of 2days match i think is Ronney.........

Good luck England

:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

Navarene
June 24, 2004, 10:04 AM
Some facts and figures between England & Portugal

England / Portugal
Head to head: 9 / 3
Biggest win: 10-0(1947 Lisbon)/ 3-1(1955 Porto)
Highest scorer: Owen (25)/ Figo (31)
Last met: the last two matches were 1-1 draw
World ranking: 13/22

Figo vs Beckham! Ronaldo vs Rooney! Deco vs Scholls! Nuno Gomes vs Owen! Costinha vs Gerrard! And above all... Scolari vs Ericsson!!! Man this match gonna be nail biting, breath taking, nerve sucking, explosive!
I have always been a supporter of England (only in soccer) no matter who they play against. Its only because I love speed, I love "free flowing" football. England are the best fit for these. England are the better blocker, snatcher, ball winner and runner upon Portugal. Go England go :fire:

oracle
June 24, 2004, 10:12 AM
Yes its an exciting game, i.e Eng -Port. But as sadly all me fave teams are out i will resort to root for Sweden. Sweden-Holland on saturday, that will be exciting.
Zlatan versus nistelrooy:)

FaltuRidwanBhai
June 24, 2004, 10:26 AM
jaihok,
kothata kintu thik je onek jonoprio team kintu itimoddhe bad pore giyeche. tobe italy kintu goto bishhokap thekai khub akta bhalo khelte parche na. tobe hotash kintu koreche ebar france. oliver khan oprotiroddho thakleo tar doler strikerra micheal ballack ebong klose tara kintu shafollo ene dite pare ni. jar karone taderkeo firti pother ticket katte hoi. dannabad.

200SX
June 24, 2004, 12:10 PM
IM ASKING YOU R U AN ENGLISH FAN........? THEN SAY GOOD LUCK THEM TONITE........:fire:

NB.- I JUZ WANA C HOW MANY ENGLISH FAN IS VISITING THIS PAGE

rassel
June 24, 2004, 12:34 PM
I hope England doesn’t choke out like they did against Brazil in the last world cup!
That was one of the worse performance that I have ever seen from them.
:umm:

reverse_swing
June 24, 2004, 12:39 PM
30 Million british watched France England match.I think today's match will break that record!

reverse_swing
June 24, 2004, 12:42 PM
Yes its an exciting game, i.e Eng -Port. But as sadly all me fave teams are out i will resort to root for Sweden. Sweden-Holland on saturday, that will be exciting.
Zlatan versus nistelrooy:)

If Holland able to play their natural game then no chance for your crap Sweden brother.

rassel
June 24, 2004, 12:47 PM
What’s up with the English fan booing and whistling during other national anthems!:-/

200SX
June 24, 2004, 12:49 PM
30 Million british watched France England match.I think today's match will break that record!

nebody hav ne idea how much ppl will watch the match all over the world......?

one more thnk wat do u think this match will b da best n key match of Euro 2004?

reverse_swing
June 24, 2004, 12:50 PM
You can't blame them.Football in Uk is popular manily among the lower class people.

oracle
June 24, 2004, 12:52 PM

Rassel's prediction still on. But Germany out. Surprised how overrated England are in this board. I will come back when Portugal and Sweden are thru.
Cant wait to see the oranges natural game=exit:P

reverse_swing
June 24, 2004, 12:53 PM

one more thnk wat do u think this match will b da best n key match of Euro 2004?

another nail biting match that's for sure but I don't think it will be the best.

reverse_swing
June 24, 2004, 12:58 PM

Rassel's prediction still on. But Germany out. Surprised how overrated England are in this board. I will come back when Portugal and Sweden are thru.
Cant wait to see the oranges natural game=exit:P

England is overrated.It's true. Another thing according to u Raul is one of the best performer of this tournament:)
I think u will not get even anybody in Spain who will agree with u.And I'm afraid u don't have to come back:)

[Edited on 24-6-2004 by reverse_swing]

200SX
June 24, 2004, 01:06 PM
You can't blame them.Football in Uk is popular manily among the lower class people.

so thnk lower class ppl doesnt kno manner......?

football is lower class ppls game in all over the world...........but it does not mean tht all nations football fans r uncivilized. english got the problem in their blood......

oracle
June 24, 2004, 01:13 PM
Another thing according to u Raul is one of the best performer of this tournament

did,nt say that. Just one of my faves. Pretty sure I will be back though, you know, could be a matter of just hours now.:)

reverse_swing
June 24, 2004, 01:14 PM
football is lower class ppls game in all over the world...........but it does not mean tht all nations football fans r uncivilized. english got the problem in their blood......

really?

reverse_swing
June 24, 2004, 01:15 PM

Another thing according to u Raul is one of the best performer of this tournament

sure I will be back though, you know, could be a matter of just hours now.:)

I'm talking about ur Portu/Sweden Final not today's match.

reverse_swing
June 24, 2004, 01:16 PM

sure I will be back though, you know, could be a matter of just hours now.:)

I'm talking about ur Portu/Sweden Final not today's match.:)

200SX
June 24, 2004, 01:49 PM
wat a start for england

goal in 3 min by owen......................:fire:

:great::great::great::great::great::great:

200SX
June 24, 2004, 01:52 PM
this is how it happened......

3' Owen (England) scores! The Liverpool FC striker scores his first goal of the tournament. Costinha attempts to head back to his goalkeeper Ricardo but Owen nips in between the two central defenders and scores with an acrobatic effort.

wat a great start of this big match
:clap::clap::clap::clap:

reverse_swing
June 24, 2004, 04:35 PM
Well deserved win for Portugal.

Navarene
June 24, 2004, 04:39 PM
Thank you, Mr. Beckham :mad:

reverse_swing
June 24, 2004, 04:57 PM
so many England supporters. strange!

din paltaise mone hoshe. age sobai Brazil Argentina Holland Italy eisob dolre support dito:)

[Edited on 24-6-2004 by reverse_swing]

rassel
June 24, 2004, 07:04 PM
I couldn’t watch the game because of some stupid work. Anyway, from the score sheet I could see that it was an explosive match up. Just as so many of us expected this match to be a real cracker and it was for real. What I am hearing is this that England had fairly good chance to pulling of a victory, but they blow it by playing defensive way too early. You do not want to do that against Portugal. They should have continued to play attacking football instead of defending their one lame goal.

I remember in the last world cup when United States scored 3 goals against Portugal first 36 minutes of the first half. Then, when the second half started instead of trying to score more goals U.S. basically stood like a guard dog. Nest thing you know, Portuguese were coming a like an African wild dog. They almost agonizelly came close to snatch draw (US 3 Portugal 2). So anyway, my point is it is just dumb idea to defend a single goal.

I really feel sorry for Rooney. He could have been player of the competition, but now it will go to somebody else.

One last thing, I am definitely praying for the France to demolish the Athenian. Go king bring some more glory for France!

:)

FaltuRidwanBhai
June 24, 2004, 08:16 PM
jaihok,
portugal kintu joi labh korlo. well done portugal. good game. jak ashorer moja kintu akhono tara tikiye rakhte shokkhom holo. ebong aro akbar jeno scolari erikson ke hariye dilen. well done scolari too. aro akbar kintu har mante holo eriksonke. scolari ar shathe tini jeno kichutai parchen na. gotokalker khelay star kintu chilen portugese goalkeeper. ebong gotokalke owen tar form fire peleo boraborer moton kintu bertho chilen shai beckham. tini kintu gotokalo penalty shot miss koren. take kintu rukhe den oshamanno dokkhotay portugese goalkeeper. jaihok ajke ar ak favorite france khelbe greece ar shathe. shoktir bichare kintu france oboshhoi greece ar tulonai agiye. tobe kichui bola jai na. karon aibar jebhabe oghoton ghotachhe choto dol gulo tate khelar folafol kintu kichui nishchit kore bola jachhe na. tobe asha korbo zidan ajke kono oghoton ghotte dibe na. asha korbo tara tader shabhabik khelata khele greece ke porajito korte shokkhom hobe. ai shai greece jara prothom match a portugalke porajito kore thomke diyechilo shobaike. dekha jak ajke tara ki kore. dannabad.

rassel
June 24, 2004, 09:48 PM
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20040625/capt.xds12206250045.euro_2004_xen_gbr_prt_soc_xds1 22.jpg

Portugal soccer team supporters cheer at goalkeeper Ricardo who scored the winning goal for Portugal beating England, 6-5, on penalties in the Euro 2004 quarterfinal match between England and Portugal they have been watching on a giant screen set up in Lisbon's Expo area, Thursday, June 24, 2004.
(AP Photo/Domenico Stinellis)

:bravo: to Ricardo

rassel
June 24, 2004, 09:53 PM
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20040625/capt.xms10706250220.euro_2004_soc_prt_gbr_xen_xms1 07.jpg

Portuguese riot police arrest an English soccer supporter(AP)

Zobair
June 24, 2004, 11:22 PM
Watched the match....was an awesome match...props to both England and Portugal. Both showed tremendous spirit. First Portugal showed some real fight when they fought all the way to pull in the equalizer near the death. Then England showed some real spirit to equalize when Portugal pushed ahead with a thunderous goal in the 2nd extra time. The final word, for me, goes to Ricardo (the Portugese goalie). He saved two penalties and scored the winning one to finish off a great performance :)

FaltuRidwanBhai
June 24, 2004, 11:32 PM
ji bhai,
ak match ai ricardo tini kintu akdom hoye gelen portugal ar hero. goal thekalen 2ta penaltyte abar nijeo goal korlen. kal jeno tar din chilo. oi beta englishra na parle oirokomi kore oder supporterra. one of the most usrinkhol supporters.

AsifTheManRahman
June 25, 2004, 12:16 AM
dhuro shalar beckham ***********

amar nanio er theikka bhalo penalty mare!:mad:

Huda
June 25, 2004, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by pompous
Watched the match....was an awesome match...props to both England and Portugal. Both showed tremendous spirit. First Portugal showed some real fight when they fought all the way to pull in the equalizer near the death. Then England showed some real spirit to equalize when Portugal pushed ahead with a thunderous goal in the 2nd extra time. The final word, for me, goes to Ricardo (the Portugese goalie). He saved two penalties and scored the winning one to finish off a great performance :)

he saved one penalty, beckham skied his :(

Navarene
June 25, 2004, 03:46 PM
Minnow Goliath killed mighty David!

Still can't believe in my eyes! Greece sneaked a win over France!! O man...where was the "king" Henry? where was Zidane, the magician??

I didn't feel the urge to watch it live since I thought it would be a one sided party. Now I regret not to watch the game. A glorious victory for Greece :great:

One thing is for sure to keep in mind after this match- that european football has reached to his highest level, where there are no minnows or mighties. Every nation can beat one another on any given day. Congratulation Greece:bravo::

http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40316000/jpg/_40316065_charisteas300_300.jpg
Barthez has no chance as Angelos Charisteas powerfully heads into the net

[Edited on 25-6-2004 by Navarene]

FaltuRidwanBhai
June 25, 2004, 08:06 PM
navarene bhai,
apni kintu akti ottanto guruttopurno jinish point out korechen. hai akhon kintu euro championship ar cup shudhui france italy ebong germany kingba england ar ghore thakbe na. akhon dekhe mone hochhe shobai akbar kore sheta tader ghore rakhte parbe. karon akhon football oh kintu hoye utheche onishchoyotar khela. akhon je keo je karor kachhe harte pare. underdogs can play like the favorites and the favorites can also turn into underdogs. greece prothom match a portugalke obishhashho bhabe hariye kintu chomok dekhiyechilo ebong kalke taro abaro chomok dekhalo tournament ar shiroper onnotomo dabidar france ke hariye diye taderke tournament theke ber kore diye. dannabad.

Huda
June 25, 2004, 11:49 PM
greece played well, but france were poor with no inspiration, and maybe were a bit complacent, even though henry had a very good chance near the end.

AsifTheManRahman
June 25, 2004, 11:53 PM
khub bhalo hoise france out howe gese...

btw looking forward to today's match...it's gonna b one heck of a qtr final

oracle
June 26, 2004, 08:00 AM
So what are the predictions re Holland versus Sweden. Will Holland choke now?:P

FaltuRidwanBhai
June 26, 2004, 09:04 AM
jaihok,
duti quarter final ai kintu dekha gelo je oshomo shoktir loraiyye shesh porjonto kintu bijoy labh korche kom shoktir dolti. ajke kintu khela hobe motamoti bolete gele shomo shoktir dui doler. jodio amar mone hoi shoktir bichare holland kichuta holeo agiye. tobe amar mone hoi ajker quarter finalti ager duti quarter final ar theke beshi uttejonakor hobe. jodio khub akta amar mone hoi na karo interest thakbe karon era kewi khub akta top favorite dol nai. kintu ki ar kora. dudhsher shadh ghol diye mitate hobe. france jokhon nai tokhon holland ke support korai shadh mitate hobe ajke. tobe ashorer jonopriota tikiye rakhar jonno ajke oboshhoi hollandke joi labh korte hobe. dannabad.

Huda
June 26, 2004, 09:10 AM

who says the dutch are favourites, may ppl are going for sweden and they can certainly compete with holland no doubt about that plus holland havent been so far.

FaltuRidwanBhai
June 26, 2004, 09:19 AM
jaihok,
huda bhai ami bollam holland is popular than sweden ai karone je if you look at this poll then you can see that holland is included in the poll but sweden is not even there. aitar upor bhitti korai ami tokhon bollam je holland is more popular than sweden.

Carte Blanche
June 26, 2004, 10:40 AM
Big Holland fan here!! I'm the only one who voted for Holland in the poll, LOL. Sweden shouldn't be any problem for the Orange Army. So, who do we play in the Semis again? Portugal right?

reverse_swing
June 26, 2004, 11:22 AM
another Holland fan here!

reverse_swing
June 26, 2004, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by Carte Blanche
So, who do we play in the Semis again? Portugal right?

yep Portugal!

[Edited on 26-6-2004 by reverse_swing]

rassel
June 26, 2004, 11:28 AM

it's abut time!

rassel
June 26, 2004, 11:37 AM
By the way, I am really disappointed with Franceeee now. I don’t know what happen there; it was one of their s#!^est performance that I have ever seen. I guess most of their Premiership players burn out or something;otherwise, it was simply lack luster performance from them.

http://www.fortunecity.com/campus/ink/659/sad06.gif

Huda
June 26, 2004, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by FaltuRidwanBhai
jaihok,
huda bhai ami bollam holland is popular than sweden ai karone je if you look at this poll then you can see that holland is included in the poll but sweden is not even there. aitar upor bhitti korai ami tokhon bollam je holland is more popular than sweden.

certainly holland is more popular than sweden as they are a great nation with great footballing talent, but this sweden side is not to be underestimated and i go for them to win tonight.

This holland side also do not seem work together as a team and there are many rifts which have been in the press but lets hope they can put it all behind them and put up a good fight tonight. :)

rassel
June 26, 2004, 04:14 PM
There goes another penalty shootout: Sweden VS Netherlands:cool2:

rassel
June 26, 2004, 04:29 PM
Holland won the penalty shootout 5-4

Ibrahimovic and Mellberg missed for Sweden

Cocu missed for Holland

[Edited on 26-6-2004 by rassel]

reverse_swing
June 26, 2004, 04:35 PM
Holland have finally broken their penalty jinx(Holland had lost penalty shoot-outs in 1992, 1996, 1998 and 2000).:)Overall Holland were worthy winners.

oracle
June 26, 2004, 06:11 PM
Overall Holland were worthy winners.

don't agree. Except for Robben and Nistelrooy, not really excited. Could have been either way, Zlatan's miss decided it all.:(

reverse_swing
June 26, 2004, 06:18 PM
Most of the time Holland piled on the pressure & who had the most possession?:) It's true that Sweden also got two great chances at the last moment but overall Holland played better than them. Another thing Holland yet to play their natural game! May be this Wednesday who knows?

BTW what about ur prediction?:)

rassel
June 27, 2004, 12:03 AM
[quote]Originally posted by reverse_swing
Another thing Holland yet to play their natural game! May be this Wednesday who knows?

what do you mean by natural game? they have been playing like this for years! they haven't gone nowhere with thier natural game anyway.
:-/

[Edited on 27-6-2004 by rassel]

FaltuRidwanBhai
June 27, 2004, 09:30 PM
ji bhai,
holland actually were able to get out of their bad patch in tiebreaker shootout. congrats to the alu's.
akhon semi final je porjaye pouchaise tate champion ke hobe sheta bola kothin hochhe. karon motamoti 4 teami bhalo khelche. hoito shoktir dik theke ebong popularity ar dik theke hoito holland agiye. kintu ai tournament kintu proman koreche je kagoje kolome shoktishali ebong favorite team o kintu porajito hote pare. shekhetre jodi greece shiropa labh kore tahole kintu ami khub akta obak hobo na. jodio bishoyta hoito aktu beshi kalponik hoye gelo. kintu tobuo tara jebhabe chomok dekhachhe tate kore ebhabe bhaba khub akta onnay bole ami mone korchi na. dannabad.

rassel
June 28, 2004, 12:00 AM
Euro 2004 - Semi Final

Semi Final Wed Jun 30 : 19h45

Netherlands VS Portugal

Semi Final Thu Jul 1 - 19h45

Czech Republic VS Greece

Great match up! i can't wait!

AsifTheManRahman
June 28, 2004, 12:09 AM
the czech - den qtr final was the most one sided one in the tournament...the danes should be ashamed of themselves

rassel
June 28, 2004, 12:28 AM
3-0 is definitely a big shame!

rassel
June 28, 2004, 01:53 PM
ALBUFEIRA, Portugal, June 28 (Reuters) - Dutch captain Frank de Boer will miss the Euro 2004 semi-final against Portugal on Wednesday because of an ankle injury.

A scan on Monday showed he had damaged his ankle ligaments and it was "almost certain" de Boer would not play again at the tournament, the Dutch said in a statement.

De Boer, 34, has won a Dutch record of 112 caps and had said he would retire after the tournament. He did not train with the rest of the squad on Monday.

De Boer was substituted during the first half of Saturday's quarter-final win over Sweden after hurting himself in a tackle on Swedish midfielder Fredrik Ljungberg.

He did not play in the first two group matches against Germany and the Czech Republic but replaced the injured Wilfred Bouma in the starting lineup for the third game against Latvia.

200SX
June 29, 2004, 08:08 AM
hmm.bad news for the dutch, but the got the angel of luck in their pocket........so who knows....:duh:

rassel
June 30, 2004, 02:34 PM
Half time score: Portugal leadind Holland through Ronaldo’ goal

:great:

rassel
June 30, 2004, 02:39 PM
http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/ng/sp/reuters/20040630/19/990598716.jpg

Portugal's Cristiano Ronaldo celebrates after scoring against the Netherlands during a Euro 2004 semi-final soccer match at the Jose Alvalade stadium in Lisbon on June 30, 2004. REUTERS/Kai Pfaffenbach Rela

rassel
June 30, 2004, 05:11 PM
By ROBERT MILLWARD, AP Soccer Writer
June 30, 2004

http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20040630/i/r2052909273.jpg

LISBON, Portugal (AP) -- Portugal advanced to the final of a major soccer tournament for the first time, beating the Netherlands 2-1 Wednesday night in the semifinals of the European Championship.

Portugal, the host nation, advanced to Sunday's final against the winner of Thursday's semifinal between Greece and the Czech Republic.

Cristiano Ronaldo headed in Deco's corner kick in the 26th minute and was given a yellow card by Swedish referee Anders Frisk for pulling off his shirt in the celebration. Nuno Maniche made it 2-0 when he beat Edwin van der Sar with a 22-yard shot to the far post in the 57th minute, also off a corner kick.

The Netherlands got a goal when Portuguese defender Jorge Andrade put the ball past his own goalkeeper, Ricardo Pereira, in the 63rd minute while trying to clear Giovanni Van Bronckhorst's cross.

Portugal lost in the semifinals of the
World Cup in 1996( should be EURO 96) and the European Championship in 1984 and 2000.

The Dutch, the European champion in 1988, also were eliminated in the semifinals four years ago, when they were co-hosts

:clap::clap::clap:

[Edited on 30-6-2004 by rassel]

200SX
July 1, 2004, 01:03 PM
tonite czech gona win...........

:joy::joy::joy:

TigerFan
July 1, 2004, 03:05 PM
tonite czech gona win...........

No greece will gonna win, Insh Allah

And Portugal will be the champion Insh Allah.:great:

[Edited on 1-7-2004 by TigerFan]

Navarene
July 1, 2004, 03:59 PM
Amazing! Greece just won with a silver goal!!!

TigerFan
July 1, 2004, 04:04 PM
Ha Ha Ha, what did I say you guys.......:great:

rassel
July 1, 2004, 04:14 PM
Herculean display by the Greek: I have a feeling that they could win it all.

:bravo:

Nasif
July 1, 2004, 07:43 PM
Funny thing is Greece isn't on the list of the poll :D :D :D. Who could have thought of all Greece was gonna make it.

:bravo::clap::clap:

rassel
July 1, 2004, 10:51 PM
LISBON, July 1 (Reuters) - Facts and figures from the 20th day of Euro 2004 in Portugal:

Semi-final, Porto, Dragao Stadium

Greece 1 Czech Republic 0

* Greece will play Portugal in the final of Euro 2004 on Sunday, July 4 at the Luz Stadium in Lisbon.

* It is the first time in European Championship and World Cup history that the two teams who played the opening match have also met in the final.

* The Netherlands played the Soviet Union in the final of Euro 88 after they met in their opening group match. The Soviet Union won the group match 1-0, the Netherlands won the final 2-0.

* Greek coach Otto Rehhagel is the oldest coach to reach the final of the European Championship. Rehhagel, aged 65, breaks Miguel Munoz' record. He was 62 when he led Spain to the final at Euro 84.

* Greek midfielder Theodoros Zagorakis, who is the second most capped Greek player ever with 94 caps, hasn't scored a single international goal. Zagorakis is joint third on the list of most capped European outfield players without a goal. European record holder Bjoern Nordqvist didn't find the net in 115 appearances for Sweden.

* Giorgios Karagounis received his fourth yellow card of the tournament and is suspended for the final. In the history of the European Championship no other player has received more than three cards in a single edition.

* No country with a foreign trainer has won the World Cup or European Championship. Greek trainer Otto Rehhagel is German and Portuguese coach Luis Felipe Scolari is Brazilian.

* Karel Poborsky equalled the competition record for most European Championship finals appearances which was held by Lilian Thuram and Zinedine Zidane. All three have played 14 matches.

* The Czech Republic's defeat ended their streak of winning nine successive competitive matches. In each of the nine matches the Czech's scored at least two goals.

* Their own best is an 11-match competitive winning streak between December 1997 and October 1999.

* The Czech Republic's streak of winning five successive European Championship matches also ended, meaning they do not claim sole ownership of the record. They had equalled the French and Dutch record after their quarter-final win over Denmark.

* France hold the record of nine consecutive European Championship matches with two or more goals scored. This streak was also ended by Greece in the quarter-finals of Euro 2004.

* This loss marks the first loss for Karel Brueckner in a competitive match as coach of the Czech Republic. He has won 11, drawn one - a 1-1 against the Netherlands - and lost one.

* Current top scorer Milan Baros is only the sixth player to score at least five goals at a single edition of the European Championship.

* It is the first time that a European Championship finals match has been decided by a silver goal.

200SX
July 2, 2004, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by TigerFan
Ha Ha Ha, what did I say you guys.......:great:

it seems my all predictions r goin to b wrong....lets c abt final:saint:

Navarene
July 3, 2004, 12:19 PM
what should Portugal do

They shouldn't miss a single chance to score. There are very few team who can win a match without a good center forward. Pauleta should click at the right time.

Maniche's furious run-up thru Greek defence can make panic. He should be used this way.

And there is no alternative to genious. No doubt you would love to see Rui Costa in the field if you are romantic. Costa has the ability to change the colour of entire match.

what should Greece do

Set-piece movement should be used properly. Greece had so many opportunity to score from this movement.

In the final Seitaridis should defend his opponent the way he did to Henry or Milan Baros.

Deco can be dangerous! Theo Zagorakis and Angelos Basinas should take the responsibility to defend Deco.

Head to head

Goal keeping: Portugal keeper Ricardo became the hero against the England match. He has the ability to overcome himself in any big match on any given day. But Greek keeper Antonios Nikopolidis is more experienced than his counterpart. Both are equal at this post.

Defence: Ricardo Carvalho and Jorge Andrade are may be the best defensive pair of this tournie. Miguel can be dangerous when he overlaps himself towards the opponent goal post. On the other hand, the way Dellas, Kapsis, Seitaridis and Fyssas have played so far, they can easily be considered heros. But still they are one step behind Portugese defence in terms of talent and speed. Portugal is slightly ahead in this field

Midfield: Greece has the fighting spirit but Portugal has talent. Whether it is Deco or Figo; Ronaldo or Maniche-- Portugal never run out of strong midfield arsenal. Portugal is way ahead in this position.

Striker: Pauleta is the weak link of Portugese offence. Vryzas or Charisteas might not be called one Ronaldo or Romareo, but they know the goal pretty good. Greece is slighty ahead in striking mark.

Coach: A tricky knavish coach against a world champion. Rehhagel has made an organized team. But Scolari has multiple aces hidden in his sleeves. Portugal is slightly ahead.

P.S. My prediction for the final: Portugal 2 Greece 0 :embaressed:

[Edited on 3-7-2004 by Navarene]

rassel
July 3, 2004, 02:07 PM
Here is my Prediction!
The headline is going to like that once more!

Greece shock hosts: Portugal 1-2 Greece

rassel
July 3, 2004, 02:15 PM
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20040703/capt.xpluz10207031716.euro_2004_soc_prt_grc_xpluz1 02.jpg

The Euro 2004 soccer championship trophy is displayed at the Luz stadium in Lisbon, Portugal, Saturday, July 3, 2004, ahead of Sunday's Euro 2004 final between Portugal and Greece.
(AP Photo/Michael Sohn)

Huda
July 4, 2004, 04:15 AM
what should Portugal do

They shouldn't miss a single chance to score. There are very few team who can win a match without a good center forward. Pauleta should click at the right time.

Maniche's furious run-up thru Greek defence can make panic. He should be used this way.

And there is no alternative to genious. No doubt you would love to see Rui Costa in the field if you are romantic. Costa has the ability to change the colour of entire match.

what should Greece do

Set-piece movement should be used properly. Greece had so many opportunity to score from this movement.

In the final Seitaridis should defend his opponent the way he did to Henry or Milan Baros.

Deco can be dangerous! Theo Zagorakis and Angelos Basinas should take the responsibility to defend Deco.

Head to head

Goal keeping: Portugal keeper Ricardo became the hero against the England match. He has the ability to overcome himself in any big match on any given day. But Greek keeper Antonios Nikopolidis is more experienced than his counterpart. Both are equal at this post.

Defence: Ricardo Carvalho and Jorge Andrade are may be the best defensive pair of this tournie. Miguel can be dangerous when he overlaps himself towards the opponent goal post. On the other hand, the way Dellas, Kapsis, Seitaridis and Fyssas have played so far, they can easily be considered heros. But still they are one step behind Portugese defence in terms of talent and speed. Portugal is slightly ahead in this field

Midfield: Greece has the fighting spirit but Portugal has talent. Whether it is Deco or Figo; Ronaldo or Maniche-- Portugal never run out of strong midfield arsenal. Portugal is way ahead in this position.

Striker: Pauleta is the weak link of Portugese offence. Vryzas or Charisteas might not be called one Ronaldo or Romareo, but they know the goal pretty good. Greece is slighty ahead in striking mark.

Coach: A tricky knavish coach against a world champion. Rehhagel has made an organized team. But Scolari has multiple aces hidden in his sleeves. Portugal is slightly ahead.

P.S. My prediction for the final: Portugal 2 Greece 0 :embaressed:

[Edited on 3-7-2004 by Navarene]

big feel? its big Phil man :)

Navarene
July 4, 2004, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by Huda

big feel? its big Phil man :)
a pun of word man ;)

But whoever have thought that German Otto gonna boot samba Felipe's a§§??

I love Greece:heart:

[Edited on 5-7-2004 by Navarene]

Piranha
July 4, 2004, 07:09 PM
Greece have actually won! This is unbelievable.

rassel
July 5, 2004, 12:04 AM
My prediction came true except it’s only 1-0! 2-1 would have been much sweeter.
Nevertheless, this is away too impressive.

:bravo::bravo::bravo::fire::fire::fire::great::joy ::clap:
http://www.geocities.com/francesfo/smhapd2.gif

[Edited on 16-7-2004 by rassel]

TigerFan
July 5, 2004, 02:53 AM
deth, I thought Portugal will win.

rassel
July 5, 2004, 10:55 AM
Greece captain Theo Zagorakis has won Uefa's best player award of Euro 2004.
The choice was made by Uefa's eight-man technical study group, plus one vote from the organisers' official website.

The 32-year-old won his 95th cap - a joint national record - as the Greeks beat hosts Portugal 1-0 in Lisbon on Sunday to win the tournament.

Zagorakis produced a series of impressive displays during the competition as part of a three-man midfield that shielded the back four.

The former Leicester City midfielder will be presented with his award at a gala in Monaco on 26 August.]

BBC Sports

rassel
July 5, 2004, 02:07 PM
http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/ng/sp/reuters/20040705/18/2808767879.jpg

rassel
July 5, 2004, 02:08 PM
http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/ng/sp/reuters/20040705/18/2772425352.jpg