PDA

View Full Version : Hathuri Da - A brilliant tactician?

Out_You_Go
March 2, 2016, 06:07 PM
I know as we are all very excited, many threads have popped up in the past 1-2 days. But I thought about opening this one specially after tonight's performance. Lets spare some praises for the man who's been dong it all behind the scene - our very beloved coach.

Technically, lets analyze a few things here:

* Riyad mentioned in the interview with Ramiz that the coach approached him and asked him to play the role of a finisher before the tournament started. Surely then, Hathuri Da has seen something that most of us didnt.

* Usually a country's best bat plays at no. 3. Sabbir has been promoted in that spot since last year and has done consistently well. Previously he was at 6-7, which was mainly the finisher's spot, which has now been taken over my Riyad. Initially most of us wouldnt believe that it would work but its getting the job done. Kudos to the coach for that too.

* Now a quote of Mashrafe after today's match (from cricinfo) -

"I hadn't even put on the helmet when the coach came up to me and said, 'Amir is reversing the ball, and will be pitching it full so you go and take the chance. You will hit him straight down the ground'," Mashrafe told ESPNcricinfo. "This was just before Shakib's dismissal so going to bat at that point was the coach's decision. Since he was so encouraging towards me, I felt brave. I knew that if I can connect, I could get fours or sixes. He had told me that I shouldn't go to bat if Shakib gets out in the last ball of the 19th over but if he does fall in the next few balls." .

^ Well played coach, well played!

However, it is still baffling to me why Hathuri Da brought in Mithun in the squad when he is adding nothing (apart from the game in UAE). Something is definitely in his mind but regardless, it seems to not be clear what it is. We have to wait and watch.

However, lets give a round of sincere applause for our Hathuri Da. :big_hug: He has certainly turned around BD's fortunes, along with the other amazing coaching staff and team management. :clap:

NoName
March 2, 2016, 06:41 PM
Mithun is just there to make up the numbers lol

Roey Haque
March 2, 2016, 08:06 PM
Good, but are you talking about just T20 strategy? Or ODIs as well?

Reason I ask is, do you think Sabbir is going to come one down in ODIs as well?

bujhee kom
March 2, 2016, 08:26 PM
Thank you dear coach Hathurusingha....salute! Love and peace!

kalpurush
March 2, 2016, 08:46 PM
Thank you is NOT enough! He deserves more.

Congrats Coaches and support staffs along with BCB officials :)

NoName
March 2, 2016, 08:47 PM
Durjoy talk nah

Mas_UK25
March 2, 2016, 09:05 PM
Haturi Da for Bangladeshi citizenship!

Need to keep Haturi da for WC '19, least till then, if possible lot longer maybe 2023 World cup.

Back on topic. Yes, I think he is got the team to believe well, jell well, have such self belief they never had before. Even if Haturi was a village and took the job of BD coach he could've have done this same thing, something about Haturi Da just connects with the players. He was not a big name coach or anythjng when he came in, but the players absolutely love him and he has all the players backing too. That's a sign of good united unite, and a unite that has one goal which is to succeed. And together they are working hard under Haturisinghe's guidence and in doing so, the players are believing it a lot more than they might have ever done before hence the good performances are coming out now more consistently.

Not just Haturi da. The whole team management: coaches, trainers, physio's ; need to be applauded, and kept on till another two 50 over's WC's, if not least ONE.

bujhee kom
March 2, 2016, 09:08 PM
Durjoy talk nah

Durjoy is a beyadop and a battamiz!

jeesh
March 2, 2016, 10:41 PM
He and his team have been terrific for Bangladeshi cricket. I just hope BCB plans to keep them around long enough to keep progressing.

We have a history of good coaches falling out with management. Fingers crossed, Papon will not let that situation arise.

betaar
March 3, 2016, 12:00 AM
Haturi nailed it once again.

Tigers_eye
March 3, 2016, 12:27 AM
The work he has done on the mental aspect of our boys.... that would stay and have new limbs which would reach others. That is the best thing he has given to this team.

aklemalp
March 3, 2016, 12:30 AM
I think that he's the Bujhee Kom in the Bangladesh cricket team. Inspirational.

icricket
March 3, 2016, 01:50 AM
Thank you Haturu da. You and your entire management team are superb for us. :applause:

patriot
March 3, 2016, 02:40 AM
If I was Papon, I would give Hathuri a blank cheque to fill in any number he wants and tie him down to a contract till the 2019 WC atleast.

I would also impose a 100 km radius stadium ban for Durjoy or whtever the hell his name is.

Out_You_Go
March 3, 2016, 07:20 AM
Good, but are you talking about just T20 strategy? Or ODIs as well?

Reason I ask is, do you think Sabbir is going to come one down in ODIs as well?

Havent seen Sabbir in 3 in ODIS last year. But I would love to see him there. He can stay as well as hit the bowl, something we need there. We can ensure that we dont go in a shell given early wickets.

Nafi
March 3, 2016, 08:20 AM
* Usually a country's best bat plays at no. 3. .

Not thats not true at all. Maybe for T20, but not for test or ODI. The number 3 batsman is the anchor, they are the most stable batsman. The best batsman plays at number 4, because you want to shield them away from the new ball.

Out_You_Go
March 3, 2016, 08:34 AM
Not thats not true at all. Maybe for T20, but not for test or ODI. The number 3 batsman is the anchor, they are the most stable batsman. The best batsman plays at number 4, because you want to shield them away from the new ball.

I doubt that's the case, even regardless of format. Also, I heard Jadeja yesterday say the same that its a rule of thumb that you play your best bat at 3. Kohli, Ponting, Smith, Williamson are prime examples.

BD_TigerZ
March 3, 2016, 09:13 AM
Haturi and Mash are in stark contrast to the Jurgensen and Mushy duo...

jeesh
March 3, 2016, 09:37 AM
Heres a crazy thought. Could there be a remote possibility in the back of their minds, the team management didnt want expose Abu Hider to India in the game against Pakistan? It doesnt sound right, but maybe the thought crossed their mind?

Sun Tzu says "In war use the normal to engage, and extraordinary to win." Dont want to hype Abu Hider, but could he be a surprise factor against India?

5tonne
March 3, 2016, 09:41 AM
^ I hope that's the case and Rony pulls it. Don't feel confident with Sunny although Rony hasn't been tested much at international level either.

Out_You_Go
March 3, 2016, 09:47 AM
Heres a crazy thought. Could there be a remote possibility in the back of their minds, the team management didnt want expose Abu Hider to India in the game against Pakistan? It doesnt sound right, but maybe the thought crossed their mind?

Sun Tzu says "In war use the normal to engage, and extraordinary to win." Dont want to hype Abu Hider, but could he be a surprise factor against India?

Good thoughts. I am all for a performing Rony but he did get smacked hard by Zim. Indians will smack him even harder if he misses his line and length.

Roey Haque
March 3, 2016, 09:54 AM
I don't have much confidence in Sunny. I think SHakib and Mahmadullah are good enough slow bowlers to support the pacers. Nasir too, if he gets selected.

Sunny was just throwing some of his deliveries vs Pak. If he does that against India, they will hit him till his name gets changed to Cloudy.

Navo
March 8, 2016, 08:30 AM
I thought this was nice: "It is learnt that few months ago Bangladesh head coach Chandika Hathurusingha had a made a visit to Dhakaramshala and all the other venues Bangladesh will be playing in the World Twenty20. During the unnoticed tour the national coach noted all the vital facts of the ground and the conditions and has shared with his team."

Source (http://www.dhakatribune.com/cricket/2016/mar/08/mahmudullah-i-dont-believe-heroism)

Habib
March 8, 2016, 08:33 AM
I thought this was nice: "It is learnt that few months ago Bangladesh head coach Chandika Hathurusingha had a made a visit to Dhakaramshala and all the other venues Bangladesh will be playing in the World Twenty20. During the unnoticed tour the national coach noted all the vital facts of the ground and the conditions and has shared with his team."

Source (http://www.dhakatribune.com/cricket/2016/mar/08/mahmudullah-i-dont-believe-heroism)

Wow. Hathuru was conducting reconnaissance missions all this time without anyone knowing. Boy does he take his job seriously or what! :up:

Shubho
March 8, 2016, 08:45 AM

I hope this was indeed the case. Knowing our country's "journalists", however, the phrase "it is learnt that..." probably means "we hope that...", not "we found out that...". Unfortunately, our "journalists" are notorious for misreporting. I do hope the news about Hathuru's fact-finding mission is true though.

Out_You_Go
March 8, 2016, 09:40 AM

Dayum! Haturi Da on stealth mode. :notworthy:

Out_You_Go
March 8, 2016, 09:42 AM
I hope this was indeed the case. Knowing our country's "journalists", however, the phrase "it is learnt that..." probably means "we hope that...", not "we found out that...". Unfortunately, our "journalists" are notorious for misreporting. I do hope the news about Hathuru's fact-finding mission is true though.

I wouldnt actually buy this news if it was Jurgenson or other coaches. But given the man in subject is Haturi Da, I wont be surprised if he actually did it. Add to the fact that, he doesnt really beat his own drums in media. So it must have been "it is learnt that..."

patriot
March 8, 2016, 10:27 AM
Sangakkara joining as a selector for SL would potentially mean the end of Hathuri resigning a new contract with BCB.

But we need not worry, we have at our disposal a former world class spinner and brilliant tactician - naimur rahman durjoy MP.

Out_You_Go
March 8, 2016, 11:56 AM
Sangakkara joining as a selector for SL would potentially mean the end of Hathuri resigning a new contract with BCB.

But we need not worry, we have at our disposal a former world class spinner and brilliant tactician - naimur rahman durjoy MP.

I dont think so. He is just a selector, not the chairman or any superior power that decides on such appointments.

On a side note, SL will never be able to match the package that we will give Haturi. I want to trust that Papon is a smart man and wont let him go, given his achievements with Bangladesh.

WarWolf
March 8, 2016, 12:53 PM
I dont think so. He is just a selector, not the chairman or any superior power that decides on such appointments.

On a side note, SL will never be able to match the package that we will give Haturi. I want to trust that Papon is a smart man and wont let him go, given his achievements with Bangladesh.
People are sometimes motivated by other factors, not only money.

Fazal
March 8, 2016, 01:00 PM

true. the job under Haturu daa just started...we just start seeing the fruit of it... its still half done. Plus there still may be some folks in SriLankan board that Haturu daa may have bad experience. These plus money factor may work out just out in our favor.... just hoping...

Out_You_Go
March 8, 2016, 01:55 PM

The only other prominent reason I see is patriotism.

But regardless, Haturi has been given the space & authority here by Papon which he needed. Though he had initial problems with Durjoy and Shujon, but we can see that the Board has preferred to keep him happy than them. Such wasnt the case in SLC. He is also given the coaching team of his choice, something again not the case with SLC. So, I would like to bet that Haturi will succeed here more then with the SL team.

From a personal perspective, the Bangladesh stint has boosted Haturi's CV as well. If he decides not to re-assign himself with BCB, there will be tons of offers made to him coming from particularly richer boards. He need'nt worry about getting a job. Hence all in all, I think he wont go to SLC. But then again, all of these reasons can be void.

Rinathq
March 8, 2016, 02:21 PM
I dont see Haturi da going to Lanka. If anything, Aussies might be massively interested in him. He has the local experience and now the priceless sub continent experience under his belt, he would be a perfect option for them. He would love to move back and and CA would be able to beat BCB's offer no problem.

Haturi da is a very professional coach. He wont sign purely out of patriotism. SLC has to make a very good financial offer and give him exactly the support staff he wants. Haturi da knows that he will have to deal with the same level of politics in SLC minus the salary he is making with BCB.

Shehwar
March 8, 2016, 02:35 PM
We cannot lose him at any cost!! He deserves the highest salary among any international coaches!

Out_You_Go
March 8, 2016, 02:40 PM
Talking about salary, BCB is a rich board. If they need even more money, one call to Hasina apa and that shall also be arranged, given her passion and enthusiasm for our cricket.

Out_You_Go
March 8, 2016, 02:43 PM
I dont see Haturi da going to Lanka. If anything, Aussies might be massively interested in him. He has the local experience and now the priceless sub continent experience under his belt, he would be a perfect option for them. He would love to move back and and CA would be able to beat BCB's offer no problem.

Haturi da is a very professional coach. He wont sign purely out of patriotism. SLC has to make a very good financial offer and give him exactly the support staff he wants. Haturi da knows that he will have to deal with the same level of politics in SLC minus the salary he is making with BCB.

..and minus the support staff hes getting and authority given to him here.

jeesh
March 9, 2016, 08:39 AM
I think we can relax for a while with regards to our coach's possible move to Sri Lanka. SLC has chosen Graham Ford as their long term coach, and thats a coach they really like and want. In fact Sanga had apparently had a role in influencing Ford to return back to Sri Lanka-as Ford was coaching Surrey, and Sanga was playing there.

And also SLC would be a bit more cautious about opting for local coach following the disastrous stint of Atapattu, which has sent their cricket back by few years. Not that Hathurusingha wont be good for them, but when there is a local coach there is too much room for politics, manipulation, interference. Also players tend to take it easy.

Finally any coach would like to back Green than Blue now. The talent pool in Sri Lanka is good, but if you want to polish up your resume, you ll probably have better luck with the resources Bangladesh has.

BANFAN
March 11, 2016, 10:05 AM
Never thought he would leave BD for SL :-)

A Local & a Foreign coach makes a huge psychological difference. Foreign coaches are almost always more effective than a local coach.

Tigers_eye
March 11, 2016, 10:32 AM
I think the only thing matters for our coach to move anywhere else would be his family. Where he would want to raise them. If he can be in the same city wouldn't it be better? Then again he can't control politics, doesn't know how the new players will embrace his philosophy. That takes time though. Here even Shakib fell in line. If only Shujon wasn't with the team, his life would be almost perfect.

jeesh
March 12, 2016, 01:43 AM
I think our coach's family is still in Aussie, and will remain there no matter where he gets coaching offers.

But is Sujon a trouble maker in the Tigers backroom staff?

jeesh
March 16, 2016, 10:52 PM
Did any one of see our coach in the bench yesterday?

patriot
March 16, 2016, 11:18 PM
^^ Yes, seen a number of times hiding behind Heath streak.

Roey Haque
March 17, 2016, 12:10 AM
Can we get Gary Kirsten if Hathuri leaves?

jeesh
March 17, 2016, 05:54 AM
Money is the problem.

Gary was earning somewhere between 40-50K USD a month with India. He earns 500K for the 2 months he spends at Delhi Daredevils. I dont think anyone in their right minds would want to give up that 2 month contract to coach any team.

The highest BCB has ever paid for a coach was half of what Gary earned at India-that was for Pybus i think. Because of this very reason BD cannot target coaches of the level of Kirsten, Flower, Bayliss, Tom Moody etc. IPL has totally changed the equation. Hard to believe Dav Whatmore used to work on an 8-9K USD a month contract.

If Hathurasinghe does leave (at some point), i would actually want BCB to pursue Heath Streak as head coach. Perhaps bring Grant Flower as a batting coach who has been said to have a good impact on Pakistani batsmen (http://www.espncricinfo.com/pakistan-v-england-2015-16/content/story/931128.html)

MohammedShamim
March 17, 2016, 06:04 AM
No coach in the world can have impact on Pakistani batsman/batting lol ^

meazz1
March 17, 2016, 06:31 AM
No coach in the world can have impact on Pakistani batsman/batting lol ^

LOL!
We will bounce back against Aus, Mark my word. Sarkar will hit a 32 balls 50 (provided if our clueless management still thinks he's the best opener we have).

MohammedShamim
March 17, 2016, 06:42 AM
LOL!
We will bounce back against Aus, Mark my word. Sarkar will hit a 32 balls 50 (provided if our clueless management still thinks he's the best opener we have).

Love predictions, 18 ball 50! Needs a good performance for him and team.

Nocturnal
April 10, 2016, 08:54 PM
Chandika needs to be a selector - says Khaled Mahmud

Full read - http://www.thedailystar.net/sports/cricket/chandika-needs-be-selector-1207312

Former national captain turned Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) director Khaled Mahmud has indentified two major reasons behind the board's moves to revamp the selection panel which may give coach Chandika Hathurusingha more power in the running of the national team.

“First of all everything is under discussion and nothing is final. But it seems that the selectors are not quite good at keeping up with the fast-track thinking of Chandika and the board also found a lack of coordination between selectors and the coach. So I personally feel that it would be good if the coach becomes part of the selection panel,” opined Mahmud, echoing the recent support of BCB president Nazmul Hassan Papon for the idea of providing the national coach a say in team selection.

jeesh
April 10, 2016, 09:13 PM
Some very nice words from Khaled Mahmud

Tausif
April 10, 2016, 11:30 PM
Nice words indeed. Chacha has understood that Chandika is a vital part of our success unlike that Durjoy.

kalpurush
April 10, 2016, 11:58 PM
Hats off to chacha. :notworthy:

Seems he has changed a lot from this. Nice to see that. :clap:

icricket
April 11, 2016, 12:00 AM
Chandika needs to be a selector - says Khaled Mahmud

“First of all everything is under discussion and nothing is final. But it seems that the selectors are not quite good at keeping up with the fast-track thinking of Chandika and the board also found a lack of coordination between selectors and the coach. So I personally feel that it would be good if the coach becomes part of the selection panel,” opined Mahmud, echoing the recent support of BCB president Nazmul Hassan Papon for the idea of providing the national coach a say in team selection.

I agree with Khaled Mahmud. @Nocturnal, thanks for sharing. :)

simon
April 11, 2016, 02:41 AM
Ya
Chandika for selecta, we will see more of Me-toon & Hom

MHRAM
April 11, 2016, 02:47 AM
Khaled mahmud making positive remarks, good to see

mufi_02
April 11, 2016, 08:09 AM
Ya

and jubair. his love for these guys kinda scares me. its like Siddons and Junaid Siddique etc.

tonmoy.dhaka
April 11, 2016, 09:00 AM
and jubair. his love for these guys kinda scares me. its like Siddons and Junaid Siddique etc.

I do not mind sticking with Jubair even if he goes for runs. He is a conventional leg Spinner to come out of Bangladesh which is a rare entity. If he is left to his elements without the help of BD team management than he would dissappear since our local leagues hate bowlers like him. He would get no opportunity to play or to learn .

jeesh
April 11, 2016, 09:01 AM
Some will click, some wont. And sometimes when some click, afterwards they may also fail eg: Soumya Sarker.

Personally not a fan of Faruque led panel. They are kind of leading us back to that era where we promote players based on short term merit.

Having the coach on board allows them to pick players who suit the team tactics.

Tausif
April 11, 2016, 10:37 AM
Unpopular opinion but I can see why he would wanna go with Hom. With Riyad being promoted more as a batsman, we needed an offspin allrounder to tag along with Shakib. Nasir could've fit that role but his poor work ethic and lack of interest took him out deservedly so. Who else do we have to fill in that role other than Hom? Whether he does well or not is a different story but he did well enough in BPL to earn a spot.

As for Jubair, he's a talented leg spinner. We have seen what he offers in glimpses but he's very raw and he doesn't get enough opportunities in the domestic games to get better. But he has the potential to become a handy leggie for us so I can see why Haturi sticks with him.

Only worrisome selection is Mithun. Don't see him doing well for us in the long run.

Rifat
April 11, 2016, 03:45 PM
Hom as much as I have criticized this guy in this Forum, hasn't done too bad in the World T20....(bowled well against India, batted well against New Zealand when Everyone else crumbled like a pack of cards...given the fact that he just randomly came in and played, he did good) For T20s only, we should probably persist with hom longer.

Jubair is someone who should definitely be persisted with and groomed and encouraged, He has potential to become the next Yasir Shah...

Haturi knows what he is doing....leave him alone. He is not the root cause of the problem

BengaliPagol
April 11, 2016, 06:51 PM
Unpopular opinion but I can see why he would wanna go with Hom. With Riyad being promoted more as a batsman, we needed an offspin allrounder to tag along with Shakib. Nasir could've fit that role but his poor work ethic and lack of interest took him out deservedly so. Who else do we have to fill in that role other than Hom? Whether he does well or not is a different story but he did well enough in BPL to earn a spot.

As for Jubair, he's a talented leg spinner. We have seen what he offers in glimpses but he's very raw and he doesn't get enough opportunities in the domestic games to get better. But he has the potential to become a handy leggie for us so I can see why Haturi sticks with him.

Only worrisome selection is Mithun. Don't see him doing well for us in the long run.

and on top of that shuvagata can hit big as well whereas nasir cant hit anything to the boundary. But nasir idm in odis cos his bowling has been very good in odis.

jeesh
April 11, 2016, 11:40 PM
Regarding Mithun, one thing about him is his ability to time the ball over the fence. In the Asia Cup knock and one game in T20WC he hit a few sixes which were timed wonderfully. Probably the only thing the coach saw in him.

Hom too is quite well built, broad shoulders, he can muscle sixes in addition to his value as an off spinner.

But in case of both players the consistency isnt there. Technical issues are aplenty too.

epitaph
April 12, 2016, 06:44 PM
Ya

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-0a3fg-fUWdw/T3On8vGgmVI/AAAAAAAAA4A/PJg-1gRMH5Y/w1200-h630-p-nu/bunk-the-wire.gif

Nocturnal
April 18, 2016, 09:16 PM
Faruk welcomes coach in selection panel

Chief selector Faruk Ahmed said on Monday that he welcomes the concept of including national coach Chandika Hathurusinghe in the selection panel as it will reduce the so-called gap between the coach and the selection committee members.

BCB is mulling with the idea of including Hathurusinghe in the selection panel in the forthcoming days as well as increase the number of personnel in the selection panel to make it more effective.

Full read:
http://newagebd.net/222273/faruk-welcomes-coach-selection-panel/

jeesh
April 18, 2016, 09:50 PM
Faruk has sent a nice juicy indirect hint to Hathurusinghe that the role/responsibility of a selector also includes keeping an eye on domestic cricket, being present at matches.

Kohli_Sox
April 19, 2016, 08:35 AM
He has a say in the team selection already so by including him it will make this official and people like Durjon type can't complain anymore