PDA

View Full Version : Bangla - Epar / Opar

mufi_02
March 4, 2016, 08:31 PM
I have been meaning to open a thread on this for some time. There is no time between than now as we have few Indian (Bengali) visiting the site. Today's Anandabazar article finally compelled me.

I think Bangla is the most beautiful and pleasant language on ears. We have all heard different languages but there is nothing that comes to the melody of Bangla. The soft tones and the rhythm is unparalleled. (excluding Sylethi of course)

We Bangladeshis take tremendous pride in Bangla. Why wouldn't we when we literally gave our lives to protect it.

Do Indian Bengalis also feel the same attachment to Bangla? What are the main differences (beside the accent of course) between the two sides? Do you have as many dialects as we do (dhakaiya, chatgaiya etc.)?

Finally to quote Humayun Ahmed --

“I love you যত সহজে বলা যায়- "আমি তোমাকে ভালোবাসি" ততো সহজে বলা যায় না।”

aklemalp
March 4, 2016, 08:43 PM
As someone who speaks creole English:

I was amazed when I found out that there were 11 vowels in the Bangla alphabet. I must say that it is one of the softer accented languages in the world. The little I hear of it is from Bangladesh players giving interviews in it...

I know how proud you must be feeling everytime it is spoken. This thread might give me an insight into exploring The language further.

I am a work in progress in English, took Spanish for one semester in college..and I'm opened to try something new...I can detect hindi also (due to the abundance of bollywood movies I used to watch in my younger years).

Zeeshan
March 4, 2016, 08:43 PM
There are 8000 languages (at least) not dialects in the world. I don't think Bangla is the most pleasant language of all and definitely not "Noakhailla", the most uncouth of all. Before someone spews that self-loathing bs on me, allow me to say I am from that part of the world so hell with it. I am entitled to my opinion.

Yes, we fought for our language, but suddenly that doesn't make it resounding and strong that English is. I think part of the problem is the "shy culture" and because of that when we speak Bangla we come as soft-spoken and shy.

Never in a trillion years will I listen to Bangla rap, but I cannot live without a good rhymeslayer in English.

What I do find beautiful about Bangla is the script. Complex and lyrical. It's the unknown that makes something beautiful imo.

Zeeshan
March 4, 2016, 08:45 PM
And not even get me started when the conservative nuts try to censor Indo-Pakistani channel and trumpet learning Russian, Chinese or French. If language learning is good for intelligence and expanding one's narrow minded vision/horizon, then that theory falls flat on her face at the start.

Zeeshan
March 4, 2016, 08:52 PM
For those getting offended "grow a thick skin".

mufi_02
March 4, 2016, 09:04 PM
Great. Now the thread will be derailed with my personal opinion saying 'Bangla is most pleasant'. It is on objective conclusion. So no one is saying you have to agree with me. You are more than welcome to listen to Busta Rhymes and Easy-E.

But I believe Bangla is way more pleasant than German/English/Punjabi etc.

Tumi ajkal onek peke jaccho. Kichu na bujhei chichir michir koro. Shob kichute tumar hostokhep thakte hobe. Keno bolo toh?

Oi halar po shob kisu tei bam hath dhukas ke. Aga matha kisui na buijha hudai ektu kothin english koiya fapor maros. shob kisu tei philosophy maras. Tore ke jigaise tor opinion.

See how diverse Bangla can be.

*above bangla was to prove a point for discussion only. Not directed towards anyone.

Night_wolf
March 4, 2016, 09:06 PM
^Hamid mia you are one witty guy!

Nasif
March 4, 2016, 09:22 PM
It is very difficult to measure beauty of a language based on objective judgement. If your assume that job of a language is to provide for a precise communication mechanism, then there are lot more better languages than Bangla. Case in point, [বাংলা]সে[/বাংলা] doesn't tell us gender, [বাংলা]তারা[/বাংলা] doesn't tell us how many were they all together. Many languages allows more details in terms of genders, counts and various other subtle details.

From a subjective point of view, everyone's native tongue sounds soothing to them. Our language decoders in our brain feels happy when it has to spend least effort in running natural encoding/decoding. Even if you know many languages, there will always be one that you would be biased to (soothing natural encoding/decoding neural networks).

So, it should be no surprise that I also think Bangla is a beautiful language. Future of our language lies in Bangladesh, as it is where Bangla lives in the hearts and minds of millions. Unfortunately, opar Bangla will not be the long term home of Bangla. No doubt, there will be millions of speakers there, but Bangladesh is where Bangla will have its home until the end. Language lives in the hearts and minds of the speakers. Opar bangla has too many alternatives/priorities for its speakers.

A Tagore, A Sarat, A Nazrul, A Bibhuti, and even A Humayun have taken Bangla to new heights! Love my native tongue.

mufi_02
March 4, 2016, 10:00 PM
As someone who speaks creole English:

I was amazed when I found out that there were 11 vowels in the Bangla alphabet. I must say that it is one of the softer accented languages in the world. The little I hear of it is from Bangladesh players giving interviews in it...

I know how proud you must be feeling everytime it is spoken. This thread might give me an insight into exploring The language further.

I am a work in progress in English, took Spanish for one semester in college..and I'm opened to try something new...I can detect hindi also (due to the abundance of bollywood movies I used to watch in my younger years).

Let us teach you some Bengali. And the best way to learn is to flirt with Bengali girls and there are many in NYC. Try this one - "tomay dekhe matha noshto, joubon amar lal tomato" (you are very pretty, I feel young) OR "tumi shundhor tai cheye thaki bolo, shey ki mor oporadh (you beautiful, so I stare, me not guilty").

Please let us know how it goes :)

Night_wolf
March 4, 2016, 10:03 PM
Let us teach you some Bengali. And the best way to learn is to flirt with Bengali girls and there are many in NYC. Try this one - "tomay dekhe matha noshto, joubon amar lal tomato" (you are very pretty, I feel young) OR "tumi shundhor tai cheye thaki bolo, shey ki mor oporadh (you beautiful, so I stare, me not guilty").

aklemalp please dont listen to mufi, as we say in bangla mair aktao matite porbena!(none of the girls will miss slapping you!)

mufi_02
March 4, 2016, 10:09 PM
It is very difficult to measure beauty of a language based on objective judgement. If your assume that job of a language is to provide for a precise communication mechanism, then there are lot more better languages than Bangla. Case in point, [বাংলা]সে[/বাংলা] doesn't tell us gender, [বাংলা]তারা[/বাংলা] doesn't tell us how many were they all together. Many languages allows more details in terms of genders, counts and various other subtle details.

From a subjective point of view, everyone's native tongue sounds soothing to them. Our language decoders in our brain feels happy when it has to spend least effort in running natural encoding/decoding. Even if you know many languages, there will always be one that you would be biased to (soothing natural encoding/decoding neural networks).

So, it should be no surprise that I also think Bangla is a beautiful language. Future of our language lies in Bangladesh, as it is where Bangla lives in the hearts and minds of millions. Unfortunately, opar Bangla will not be the long term home of Bangla. No doubt, there will be millions of speakers there, but Bangladesh is where Bangla will have its home until the end. Language lives in the hearts and minds of the speakers. Opar bangla has too many alternatives/priorities for its speakers.

A Tagore, A Sarat, A Nazrul, A Bibhuti, and even A Humayun have taken Bangla to new heights! Love my native tongue.

Nasif bhai, the job of a language is more than precise communication. Bangla does that job very well and on top of that can express deep feelings and emotions.

Of course I am biased as it is my native tongue. Opar bangla does not have that 'chorcha' of the language as before. My one frustration is that, being in top 10 in terms of number of native speakers, Bangla just doesn't have that global recognition.

Night_wolf
March 4, 2016, 10:12 PM
My one frustration is that, being in top 10 in terms of number of native speakers, Bangla just doesn't have that global recognition.

I think thats because the language itself is spoken in a very small area in proportional to the world, Diversity is not there. Portuguese is spoken in Europe and South America. English is spoken all over the world. Chinese and Hindi has numbers in their favor

Mas_UK25
March 4, 2016, 10:35 PM
Why exclude Sylheti? Its Sylheti not Sylethi, get it right first. Also add Chatgai, Nuwakhali, Dhakaiya dialect too. Hell no them
Others arn't Bangla too. if your talking about real proper form of bengali.

You seem to always have a thing or two against Sylhetis and its language and whenever possible have a dig at them (a bad experience once, perhaps?). Sylhetis do alot good work for BD in UK, there was a article

mufi_02
March 4, 2016, 10:40 PM
Why exclude Sylheti? Its Sylheti not Sylethi, get it right first. Also add Chatgai, Nuwakhali, Dhakaiya dialect too. Hell no them

You seem to always have a thing or two against Sylhetis and its language and whenever possible have a dig at them (a bad experience once, perhaps?). Sylhetis do alot good work for BD in UK, there was a article

oh really? there is an article? good for you :bravo:

Mas_UK25
March 4, 2016, 11:02 PM

What is Bangla/Bengali really? I'm a missing something cause none sylhetis in BD think all their dialect is Bangla too even though it no way sounds like Bangla nor the words are exactly Bangla. A mean is there a different form of Bangla in BD to the one in Kolkata? If not then (if your going to exclude Sylheti from Bangla) how can you say Chatagai, Dhakaiya and Nuwakhali dialect is Bengali? :lol:

(Off topic)
You seem to always have a thing or two against the Sylhetis, and their language and whenever possible try to have a dig at them ('cause of a bad experience once, perhaps?). Sylhetis do alot good work for BD and Bangali-ism in UK, one of highest source remittanc for BD, there was a article out recently 'Sylheties play important role in UK-Bangladesh ties: British envoy'

Sylhetis fought of many challanges and established themselves in UK and made BD, Bengali language, culture etc etc known well more to the UK, national wide. When you come to the UK, you will get respected being a Bangladeshi or Bengali in general cause of Sylhetis.

PS.
Sylhetis gave the UK's first ever Muslim Mayor. Enough said. :D

Neel Here
March 6, 2016, 04:47 PM
POV from opar bangla.

hugely proud of my language and culture. although we are losing the cultural chauvinism that was a part of my parent's generation. some of the other states in India have proud language and cultures as well and I respect that.

but of course, bangla is the sweetest language. GB/zee is WRONG !!

on a lighter note, how's this for a premer kobita ?

"tumi sagor, ami dheu

tumi kukur, ami gheu" :-p

mufi_02
March 6, 2016, 11:10 PM
POV from opar bangla.

hugely proud of my language and culture. although we are losing the cultural chauvinism that was a part of my parent's generation. some of the other states in India have proud language and cultures as well and I respect that.

but of course, bangla is the sweetest language. GB/zee is WRONG !!

on a lighter note, how's this for a premer kobita ?

"tumi sagor, ami dheu

tumi kukur, ami gheu" :-p

Haha eta ki premer kobita bhai? Prem eto shohoj hole toh bhaloi hoto. Prem toh khali odhora. Dhora diyeo day nah dhora.

Anyway as you said the chauvinism is fading from opar bangla. On the other hand we have become more attached and proud (for the lack of better word) of our bangla language and heritage.

Would have been nice if both regions could cooperate. Imagine another Bengali Renaissance with a flourish of new literature, films, art, and ideas...

One World
March 6, 2016, 11:53 PM
"Kew Kew" korlei kobita hoy na,

hehehe

Jibonanondo poro kichu, kichu Charu Goswami aar Shamsur Rahman

Neel Here
March 7, 2016, 10:02 AM
huh, all of you missed the joke in the kobita. :-p

I guess some of the fun is in hearing it first hand, recite the first line with lots of dorod then spring the 2nd line on unsuspecting listeners. odds on you will elicit a hearty laugh. :up:

Haha eta ki premer kobita bhai? Prem eto shohoj hole toh bhaloi hoto. Prem toh khali odhora. Dhora diyeo day nah dhora.

Anyway as you said the chauvinism is fading from opar bangla. On the other hand we have become more attached and proud (for the lack of better word) of our bangla language and heritage.

mufi bhai, you misunderstand. pride and chauvinism are different things.
pride is thinking highly of your own culture. chauvinism is thinking other cultures are inferior. always had the feeling it came from a suppressed apprehension about other cultures.

I think we have reached a stage where we are confident enough about our culture that we are no longer threatened by others.

Robi Thakur is perhaps the perfect example. he had exposure to wide variety of cultures, from classical sanskrit literature to western as a child and later global literature. and YET, the final outcome was khanti bangali !! and what a windfall it was for bangla and global literature !!

as he himself described his ideal nation :

চিত্ত যেথা ভয়শূন্য, উচ্চ যেথা শির,
জ্ঞান যেথা মুক্ত, যেথা গৃহের প্রাচীর
আপন প্রাঙ্গণতলে দিবসশর্বরী
বসুধারে রাখে নাই খণ্ড ক্ষুদ্র করি,
যেথা বাক্য হৃদয়ের উত্‍‌সমুখ হতে
উচ্ছ্বসিয়া উঠে, যেথা নির্বারিত স্রোতে
দেশে দেশে দিশে দিশে কর্মধারা ধায়
অজস্র সহস্রবিধ চরিতার্থতায়,

Would have been nice if both regions could cooperate. Imagine another Bengali Renaissance with a flourish of new literature, films, art, and ideas... I think it is already happening to some extent ?
I am for example a big fan of arnob and the bands bangla and lalon. there are numerous collaborations in music, I remember reading BD authors in the pujo-sonkhya nagazines.
of course, more can and should be done.

Neel Here
March 7, 2016, 10:49 AM
"Kew Kew" korlei kobita hoy na,

hehehe

Jibonanondo poro kichu, kichu Charu Goswami aar Shamsur Rahman

khudar rajye prithibi godyo-moy.... ;)

aklemalp
March 7, 2016, 04:26 PM

I'll have pronounciation issues:-|

aklemalp
March 7, 2016, 04:28 PM
aklemalp please dont listen to mufi, as we say in bangla mair aktao matite porbena!(none of the girls will miss slapping you!)

If she can't take a compliment, then she is not worthy of courtingE-)E-)

Night_wolf
March 9, 2016, 02:26 AM
If she can't take a compliment, then she is not worthy of courtingE-)E-)

haha in bangla those are not complements!, more like things Bangla movie's villain will say to the heroine!, mufi is trying to sabotage your chances of becoming jamai(son in law) of Bangladesh!

nightman
March 9, 2016, 12:27 PM

What is Bangla/Bengali really? I'm a missing something cause none sylhetis in BD think all their dialect is Bangla too even though it no way sounds like Bangla nor the words are exactly Bangla. A mean is there a different form of Bangla in BD to the one in Kolkata? If not then (if your going to exclude Sylheti from Bangla) how can you say Chatagai, Dhakaiya and Nuwakhali dialect is Bengali? :lol:

(Off topic)
You seem to always have a thing or two against the Sylhetis, and their language and whenever possible try to have a dig at them ('cause of a bad experience once, perhaps?). Sylhetis do alot good work for BD and Bangali-ism in UK, one of highest source remittanc for BD, there was a article out recently 'Sylheties play important role in UK-Bangladesh ties: British envoy'

Sylhetis fought of many challanges and established themselves in UK and made BD, Bengali language, culture etc etc known well more to the UK, national wide. When you come to the UK, you will get respected being a Bangladeshi or Bengali in general cause of Sylhetis.

PS.
Sylhetis gave the UK's first ever Muslim Mayor. Enough said. :D

i thought we was talking about bengalis in general given the thread was about BENGALIs?? i m confused!

nightman
March 9, 2016, 12:58 PM
Nasif bhai, the job of a language is more than precise communication. Bangla does that job very well and on top of that can express deep feelings and emotions.

Of course I am biased as it is my native tongue. Opar bangla does not have that 'chorcha' of the language as before. My one frustration is that, being in top 10 in terms of number of native speakers, Bangla just doesn't have that global recognition.

bengalis are a merchantile cum religious city state unlike arabs, english, germans in nature, from ancient times ... one has to be militaristic in nature to spread/force their language onto others by waging wars.. hindi, english in india are spread through media.. bengali also to some extent..

any how.. you didnot comment after asking me to speak/write in momensinga.. did i angry u or what??

mufi_02
March 9, 2016, 02:33 PM
bengalis are a merchantile cum religious city state unlike arabs, english, germans in nature, from ancient times ... one has to be militaristic in nature to spread/force their language onto others by waging wars.. hindi, english in india are spread through media.. bengali also to some extent..

any how.. you didnot comment after asking me to speak/write in momensinga.. did i angry u or what??

Sorry I didn't see your mominsigna post. It was in match thread and got buried maybe.

But ekhane bole felun dada. Ainne mominsingha kiram paren koinchen dehi...