PDA

View Full Version : Where to now for Zimbabwe?

brockley
March 12, 2016, 09:54 AM
This was not just a loss,but a smashing by Afghanistan,the 5th time the have beaten Zimbabwe in a row in a t20.
Poor last world cup,lastT20 world cup,they hardly play tests.
Where to now for Zimbabwe with the ICC.

horizon
March 12, 2016, 09:55 AM
This was not just a loss,but a smashing by Afghanistan,the 5th time the have beaten Zimbabwe in a row in a t20.

No changes. ICC will protect them and provide money as usual. There's no meritocracy in ICC.

Donal C
March 12, 2016, 10:09 AM
They'll continue to get 4 times the funding and games of the Associates, the ZCB will continue to rob half of that for corrupt purposes, they'll continue to win 2/10 games with big sides to give people vain hope of an improvement, they'll continue to avoid playing Associates as much as possible.

So in other words, nothing will change.

PoorFan
March 12, 2016, 10:16 AM
ICC can use Zimbo as punching bag for associates, not a bad policy to narrow the gap. [in a highly positive meaning]

horizon
March 12, 2016, 10:30 AM
They'll continue to get 4 times the funding and games of the Associates, the ZCB will continue to rob half of that for corrupt purposes, they'll continue to win 2/10 games with big sides to give people vain hope of an improvement, they'll continue to avoid playing Associates as much as possible.

Thanks for putting it with more numbers.

bujhee kom
March 12, 2016, 03:38 PM
Harare Intl Airport.

Shingara
March 12, 2016, 03:56 PM
Same as Kenya .. anyone rememebr them ?
They got stripped of ODI status and now their cricket is extinct!

Night_wolf
March 12, 2016, 04:06 PM

out of the 10 full members they are the only one who plays with associates more, They played 2 series with afg and I might be wrong but I think they played with Ire as well

brockley
March 12, 2016, 04:35 PM
Zimbabwe are finished.They are not getting better,they are in the gutter and they will never get out.
Mays well make 11 quotas then you can at least say you are being politically correct.I guess you get cudos for that.And losing doesn't seem as bad.

Roey Haque
March 12, 2016, 08:43 PM
Y'all don't find it alarming that the team youz bashing on beat us the last two T20s we played against them?

Anyway, with international cricket, the more the merrier. Especially in T20 where the gap between teams is reduced. This is one of the beautiful things about this format, and it is also the format of the future bringing in the most money.

Zimbabwe should just focus on T20s from now on, and it will be back in no time.

And terrible job by ICC. This is the one format where you are supposed to include the most teams.

anon4567
March 13, 2016, 08:09 AM
Zimbabwe will be the border between the full members and associates. Zimbabwe will retain their test status, only because ICC can use them as an excuse to tell associates, "Hey look, quit complaining, you can play ODI and T20 games against a full member, chill", every time they complain about the genuine discrimination they face.

In face, I highly doubt many full member teams would want to play any form of cricker against Zimbabwe at their home ground. They will just get a 3/2 match ODI/T20 short series to complete the compulsory FTP.

Zimbabwe will be playing most of their games against the associates in the near future, and occasionally against Bangladesh and Pakistan and other FTP tours. Their quality of cricket will fall drastically in the next decade or so.

Zimbabweans only have their corruption and racism (past) problem to blame for their downfall.

MHRAM
March 13, 2016, 08:21 AM
They will be a borderline team. I hope their board is able to sort it.

They get good funding, plenty of exposure against better teams, no reason to stay so low.

Mridul
March 13, 2016, 08:34 AM

Unmeaningful thread. Bangladesh won 3 out of last 6 matches against Zimbabwe. So it's 50-50. Kick the Bangladesh team out too then. If we play against Afghanistan it will be big challenge for us.

brockley
March 13, 2016, 03:50 PM
Again,putting words in my mouth.
Bangladesh made the Asia cup final,have a good one day record,had a close series with s Africa in tests.
Zimbabwe apart from playing tests vs Bangladesh,not played a top 8 side in 18 months when they played Pakistan.They lost 2 Afghanistan 3-2,and lost again to Afghanistan in one dayers,dropped below Ireland and Afghanistan.And T20 Afghanistan murdered them won,the last 5 T20's against them.
Yes I agree Afghanistan and bangladesh would be close in T20.
But Zimbabwe slipping in tests,one dayers and t20,if not for Holland Zimbabwe would have qualified in T20,now they are so far below Zimbabwe.
Big difference between the 2 Bangladesh on the way up,Zimbabwe slipping quickley and getting worse.

al Furqaan
March 13, 2016, 06:15 PM
As someone who has followed Zimbabwe closely for the past 3-4 years I can say that Zimbabwe cricket cannot progress for several reasons.

Firstly, the talent simply doesn't exist. Hard work, mental toughness, and a certain degree of jeed and arrogance can often make inherently less skilled outfits competitive. But there is a limit, and besides that Zimbabwe as a team lack those attributes anyways. Since Heath Streak led the rebel walkout in April 2004, Zimbabwe have only produced 3 players who were of genuine class in one or all formats:

Taylor (all formats)
Cremer (all formats)
Jarvis (Tests only)

They have won just 14 games across all formats against top 8 teams, many of those against weakened understrength sides. The above 3 players were the only ones capable of turning a game all by themselves against a top team. Of course they are all white, and as the white players leave, cricket goes down the drain. Correlation and causation. This is because only the white players learn the game from their familes amd from childhood. The blacks pick it up much later and don't have a culture or tradition for it. The allegation now is that many of them are only in it for the money. And yes, the national teamers get paid, and paid well. An on the ground source in the Zim forum has stated that Chigumbura earns 102,000 USD per year just from his central contract. By comparison BCB's top pay grade for Shakib, Tamim, Mushy is only 30,000.

Guys like Masakadza, Williams, Chatara are good, but only on a relative scale. Masakadza was largely a failure at the 2015 World Cup, and was a total bust here. Never rated the guy and this is why. Williams is talented but inconsistent. Also tends to fail in pressure situations.

Everyone else is submediocre to varying degrees.

Secondly the players are either unable or unwilling to learn, most likely the latter because Down Syndrome children have grasped the details of quantum mechanics quicker than these guys have learned cricket. Schoolboy errors are made with religious regularity, no matter who the coach is bowlers can't stop bowling full tosses or long hops at the death, and the batsmen get bogged dowm regardless of the strength of the opposition bowling attack. They have played Afghanistan in about 20 internationals over the past 18 months and look more outclassed now than they did innthe beginning. There is zero adaptation or adjustmemt being made, whereas all opponents are constantly reassessing and acting accordingly.

Third, the players are lazy. Most of them are unfit and overweight. The body language indicates they don't care about the game. There is no pride, no self esteem, no arrogance. They don't believe they can beat anyone.

Fourth, their administration sucks but everyone knows that. But perfect admins wouldn't help the current lot. Only if they got all the white players who hve left. Taylor, Ballance, Javis, Curran bros, Welch, Byrom, and many others.

The one thing they can do, is start putting in young players. They cannot possibly do worse than the current bunch. There is some talent in Murray, Ives, Mugarira, Matigumu, Ngarava, and Mavuta. They all need to come in now, the curremt team is all 30+ and have sucked for over a decade. That is the only hope of this team making the next World Cup.

jeesh
March 13, 2016, 11:20 PM
If Dav Whatmore cant rally the boys i dont know who can.

Zimbabwe are picking a lot of fresh players who are not ready for international cricket. Clearly not a system of meritocracy.

brockley
March 14, 2016, 01:16 AM
Good synopsis Al Furqan.
Mazakadza was in form,must be said he was missing in action,to the dread of my fantasy team.
Who knows where they will drop next,I suggest they don't play Associates,makes it bad when they lose.

anon4567
March 14, 2016, 02:50 AM
+1. well said, al Furqaan.

Good synopsis Al Furqan.
Who knows where they will drop next,I suggest they don't play Associates,makes it bad when they lose.

The problem is- if they don't play associates, who exactly will they play? Top 9? I doubt any full member teams apart from Bangladesh (historic rivalry, currently a punching bag), or Pakistan (to test their national security) would actually look forward to play games against them. They haven't played a single test match in the last 18 months. No one wants to play against them- even if they do, they will essentially be sending an A-team like what New Zealand and India did back in 2015.

Never in a million years would a team like Australia play a 5 match test series against them across MCG, SCG, Gabba, Adelaide and WACA.

brockley
March 14, 2016, 10:58 AM
I dunno when they play minnows lately they seems 2 lose,was close between them and Ireland in a series,and Afghanistan smashed them.And their other 2 T20's we're close.
I just think if they keep playing minnows and keep losing they may lose their status.
Its 1 thing to be kicked by an establishment team,its another to be smashed by a minnow.

I know 1 thing the Zimbabwe domestic wages are below living status,so players aren't going to wait round long if their not in the firsts team.
BTW on twitter there was talk why P J Moor didn't play at the cup,a lot of controvercy,as to why he not there.Also he played for Surrey 2nds last year and has played in Ireland,I would have thought he was 1 you cannot afford to lose.The other keeper batsmen failed 3 times.

Tigers_eye
March 14, 2016, 02:26 PM
No associates can beat this ZIm side in a 4 day match.

horizon
March 14, 2016, 04:44 PM
No associates can beat this ZIm side in a 4 day match.

A teams look close on latest encounter.
http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/961203.html (in India)

And this intercontinental cup match was close too. (5+ years back)
http://www.espncricinfo.com/icccont2010/engine/current/match/415165.html
(in Zimbabwe)

Afghanistan A has beaten Zimbabwe A in Zimbabwe back in 2009
http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/756043.html

In Test cricket home advantages matter. I am fairly sure Ireland can beat Zimbabwe at home. For Afghanistan, they are not that consistent but they can also beat Zimbabwe home and away.

Here's Zimbabwe vs Ireland in 2009 -
http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/438901.html