PDA

View Full Version : Resume That Works

One World
March 22, 2016, 01:41 AM
I need to write a resume which will fetch interview from top notch firms. I am talking about Silicon Valley, Financial firms in NYSE, Ivy League Schools etc. I am shooting for something that will be worth of a 150K+ position. Any suggestions welcome.

One World
March 22, 2016, 01:53 AM
150K might be too high, lets simmer it down. Lets focus on six figure salaries.

mufi_02
March 22, 2016, 01:09 PM
I don't know much about Silicon Valley or Ivy League schools, but can comment of Financial firms in NY. But depends on what kind of role you are applying to and the backgrounds you are coming from. I have applied and interviewed in most of the major US/European banks and was offered a position right after graduation. So I am very familiar with the interview process.

Also contact Michael Page / Green Kelley Resources/ Robert Half. They will help you with your resume to fit the needs and help you in the process.

Six figure is nothing in Wall St. 2-3 years of experience can easily fetch 100k (Analyst/Associate level in Deutsche, UBS, Credit Suisse or AVP in Goldman Sachs/Morgan Stanley/JPM/Citi etc).

in resume
-use strong key words
-highlight achievements
-use numbers (such as I have done xyz for xyz years)
-be very specific
-also be very broad to show high level knowledge
-include diverse experience, don't narrow down to one very specific skill

and the usual of no typos etc..

Ajfar
March 22, 2016, 02:15 PM
Dont write too much mumbo jumbo. Dont list every single thing you did at your previous jobs, just the ones that are relevant/important. If you submit your resume online, dont submit a word file. I always submit PDF, that way just incase I missed a spelling mistake, it wont pop out to the reviewer right away.

mufi_02
March 22, 2016, 02:29 PM
^always listen to ajfar. this guy is making big bucks. they paid him so much that he left home and all the luxuries and moved hundreds of miles away.

Rifat
March 22, 2016, 02:32 PM
You must be yet another Software Developer? visit StackOverflow.com/jobs

Create a HackerRank account. complete coding exercises and compete in competitions and fetch loads of points, if you do really well in the coding competitions then prospective employers may contact you. HackerRank.com I love because it has challenges for developers ranging from beginner to top notch expert(difficulty level very very high where only less than 25% of users come up with a solution that not only produces the correct output but also is super efficient, and this requires a lot of creativity with very solid foundations in Data Structures)

Keep your LinkedIn profile up to date and make sure to have top notch endorsements.

MohammedShamim
March 22, 2016, 02:34 PM
In Sha Allah, one day I will get there 150-k? 24 now on 23-24k year wage..

Should reach 150-k by 70/80 years? god willing... hehe..

iDumb
March 22, 2016, 02:42 PM
In Sha Allah, one day I will get there 150-k? 24 now on 23-24k year wage..

Should reach 150-k by 70/80 years? god willing... hehe..

I have just another 40 years left in me before I reach that.... inflation driven salary increase.

Three things work in life:
1) Phone call by someone important
2) Talent.
3) Good looks

If you have neither of the three - chances of success are diminished significantly

Ajfar
March 22, 2016, 04:01 PM
^always listen to ajfar. this guy is making big bucks. they paid him so much that he left home and all the luxuries and moved hundreds of miles away.

Dhur miya. I miss my home. I think there's a saying that goes something like, home is a place you grow up wanting to leave and grow old wanting to go back to. This is so true for me right now.

Rifat
March 22, 2016, 04:04 PM
Dhur miya. I miss my home. I think there's a saying that goes something like, home is a place you grow up wanting to leave and grow old wanting to go back to. This is so true for me right now.

congrats on your new job.

I believe Shaad, MarufH and a few other members may be very near to you.

MohammedShamim
March 22, 2016, 04:26 PM
I have just another 40 years left in me before I reach that.... inflation driven salary increase.

Three things work in life:
1) Phone call by someone important
2) Talent.
3) Good looks

If you have neither of the three - chances of success are diminished significantly

Bro, I have none above. :down: Life is not simple.. many obstacles..

But, I have hope in the form of Belief, with hard work of course...:up: (too lazy also)

I have been saying to myself to start with the Professional Accountancy Course (ACCA) and become qualified... but lazy....

The laziness comes from the fact that, I am exempt from the foundation papers...(but the real ones begin after those/ P papers-scared also)

mufi_02
March 22, 2016, 04:38 PM
Bro, I have none above. :down: Life is not simple.. many obstacles..

But, I have hope in the form of Belief, with hard work of course...:up: (too lazy also)

I have been saying to myself to start with the Professional Accountancy Course (ACCA) and become qualified... but lazy....

The laziness comes from the fact that, I am exempt from the foundation papers...(but the real ones begin after those/ P papers-scared also)

you are still young. 24 is just the beginning of ones career. Accounting is a safe career and you will always jobs. But you will plateau and can't grow the career after a certain point. It becomes boring and tedious.

MohammedShamim
March 22, 2016, 04:50 PM
you are still young. 24 is just the beginning of ones career. Accounting is a safe career and you will always jobs. But you will plateau and can't grow the career after a certain point. It becomes boring and tedious.

Yes bro, its pretty boring. I started as a Trainee Accountant, did 6 months.. and left.. didn't like it... Then moved into a investment and pension company... where we mainly write reports on upcoming Annual General Meeting and provide voting recommendation based on our analysis..but this are mainly researchers job..I just look at company performance, looking at the financial statements and just doing basic analysis, like price analysis, goodwill over the years, how much value has been lost... why.. etcs..in the past 1 year, I think I have done basic analysis on more than 2500 companies lol (SP 500, FTSE and Euro First company)..I love this job, but without added qualification, like ACCA... salary won't increase by much. The company is not that big, but BBC, SKY and All major news papers reference our research... most of the time..they are pretty known in the area of corporate governance.. Quote from company that I work for "is Europe’s largest independent corporate governance and shareholder advisory consultancy firm"

Zeeshan
March 22, 2016, 05:15 PM
kon works resume korbo? thik bujte parlum no

Zeeshan
March 22, 2016, 05:24 PM
Don't be lazy that's all I can say. Say you don't put the street address of a company you worked for, Providence will make you pay. Murphy's law...

MohammedShamim
March 22, 2016, 05:30 PM
Don't be lazy that's all I can say. Say you don't put the street address of a company you worked for, Providence will make you pay. Murphy's law...

Don't scare me bro, pray for me and all those youngsters like me trying to take the next steps in life. I am not good with understanding sarcasm, if there is any in your post, do explain please.

iDumb
March 22, 2016, 06:47 PM
I hate money.