PDA

View Full Version : Rio Olympics

horizon
April 8, 2016, 02:10 PM
Starting on August 5th.

If people don't know about it, Siddikur Rahman could become the first Bangladeshi to directly qualify for Olympics. Bangladesh is still the largest country not to have anyone qualified in Olympics.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-golf-olympics-bangladesh-idUSKCN0VA1X0

The top 15 players in the world rankings on July 11 will qualify automatically for the Aug. 5-21 Games but only four can come from any one country.

The remainder of the 60-man field will be determined by the rankings, with a maximum of two players from each country that does not already have two or more players among the top 15.

Siddikur currently sits 58th on the list, just inside the qualification spots.

aklemalp
April 8, 2016, 02:11 PM
Golf making a return to the Olympics after 100+ years.

horizon
April 8, 2016, 05:05 PM
Golf making a return to the Olympics after 100+ years.

Whether cricket makes it will be known by this month. In case it makes it, it would be in 2024 Olympics.

brockley
April 9, 2016, 03:51 AM
India are yet 2 come on side,$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

horizon
July 6, 2016, 05:31 PM
http://www.thedailystar.net/sports/golf/siddikurs-anxious-wait-1250008

Tigers_eye
July 26, 2016, 09:00 AM
So BD has a Swimmer, and shooters, and a golfer. Anyone else making the trip?

aklemalp
July 30, 2016, 07:04 AM
The entire Russian weightlifting squad has been banned from the Olympics.

Some other team havery taken up their spot..

aklemalp
August 2, 2016, 09:33 PM
A couple of days more for the start of the Olympics...top athletes are staying away from it because of fear of contracting Zika...but this time of the year in Rio, I think is winter...and hopefully this will keep the mosquitoes at bay...

aklemalp
August 2, 2016, 10:22 PM
A bit of history about the Olympics

DECLINE AND REVIVAL OF THE OLYMPIC TRADITION
After the Roman Empire conquered Greece in the mid-2nd century B.C., the Games continued, but their standards and quality declined. In one notorious example from A.D. 67, the decadent Emperor Nero entered an Olympic chariot race, only to disgrace himself by declaring himself the winner even after he fell off his chariot during the event. In A.D. 393, Emperor Theodosius I, a Christian, called for a ban on all “pagan” festivals, ending the ancient Olympic tradition after nearly 12 centuries.

It would be another 1,500 years before the Games would rise again, largely thanks to the efforts of Baron Pierre de Coubertin (1863-1937) of France. Dedicated to the promotion of physical education, the young baron became inspired by the idea of creating a modern Olympic Games after visiting the ancient Olympic site. In November 1892, at a meeting of the Union des Sports Athlétiques in Paris, Coubertin proposed the idea of reviving the Olympics as an international athletic competition held every four years. Two years later, he got the approval he needed to found the International Olympic Committee (IOC), which would become the governing body of the modern Olympic Games.

Source: http://www.history.com/topics/olympic-games

Tigers_eye
August 4, 2016, 08:57 AM
I know who will torch the Olympic flame. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!

BD people this is a must watch for you. Don't say I didn't tell you.

aklemalp
August 5, 2016, 06:49 AM
How many records are gong to be broken? Set?

Tigers_eye
August 5, 2016, 09:40 AM
50 World Records. I really don't care. I just want Bolt to win 100, 200, and 4x100. I am not sure if he would run 4x400. Phelps to get few more as well.

Tigers_eye
August 5, 2016, 09:43 AM
What will you watch?

Mine: If possible, Athletics, swimming, Table tennis, Badminton, Football, Archery, shooting.

aklemalp
August 5, 2016, 10:44 AM
Tommy Brady's Gisele will be at the opening ceremony for(?)

aklemalp
August 5, 2016, 11:16 AM
I will watch table tennis, golf, track, swimming, diving, gymnastics, javelin, high jump, weightlifting, fencing, shot put, badminton.

I hope I find some other sport that will surprise and amuse myself.

aklemalp
August 5, 2016, 02:00 PM
No Pele lighting the Olympic cauldron...

aklemalp
August 5, 2016, 06:36 PM
Come on Rio!!!! Light up the Olympics!!!

Amazon warriors!!!!!

aklemalp
August 6, 2016, 10:27 AM
http://i67.tinypic.com/2j19cec.jpg

18 year old Syrian, Yusra Mardini, part of the refugee team at the Olympics

She going to be swimming today...

Her story:Fleeing Damascus, she pushed a sinking boat carrying 20 to safety, risking her own life.

aklemalp
August 6, 2016, 12:19 PM
Have not spotted any of my fellow countrymen/women as yet...

aklemalp
August 6, 2016, 01:45 PM
Damn that road race had a tensed finish...after 6 hours and 10+ minutes!

aklemalp
August 6, 2016, 02:03 PM
A new world record for GBR Adam Peaty. ..100m breaststroke

aklemalp
August 6, 2016, 04:57 PM
USWNT Soccer just can't stop winning....Carli Lloyd's goal proved to be the winning one against France. It is her eight goal in the Olympics.

aklemalp
August 6, 2016, 06:01 PM
Volleyball...volleyball...how did I forget?

All the matches I've seen so far have had superb crowd participation....and tonight will be the USA's Walsh/Jennings

aklemalp
August 7, 2016, 03:29 PM
Usa playng Canada in indoor volleyball...tense match, end-of-the-seat stuff.

Canada just took the first set

aklemalp
August 7, 2016, 03:39 PM
Usa is leading in the 2nd set...

aklemalp
August 7, 2016, 03:46 PM
Canada takin lead in second set...12-11

aklemalp
August 7, 2016, 03:58 PM
Canada are up 2 sets to 0

USA are getting owned by some spectacular all round game from the Canadians

aklemalp
August 7, 2016, 04:29 PM
Canada did it...defeated usa

aklemalp
August 7, 2016, 05:32 PM
Entire Russian paralympic team is kicked out....doping..

aklemalp
August 8, 2016, 06:11 PM
I'm loving this usa v France tennis match..Serena v cornet.....it's edge of the seat stufff

aklemalp
August 8, 2016, 06:31 PM
Serena is in dominating mode at the moment

aklemalp
August 8, 2016, 06:46 PM
She wins it.. Serena. That first set was dynamite..

Sylheti_Beta
August 9, 2016, 08:05 AM
Abdullah Hel Baki from BD came in 25th in the men's 10 meter Air Rifle event. Not too bad. Shooting is an individual sport and affluent families can and should encourage their children to participate in this discipline. This is more democratic than athletics and swimming and will ensure a medal someday.

aklemalp
August 10, 2016, 11:03 AM
USA leads with 27 medals...

ahnaf
August 11, 2016, 05:35 AM
Siddikur will be playing today. Star sports 4 showing golf

Sylheti_Beta
August 11, 2016, 06:26 AM
Siddikur will be playing today. Star sports 4 showing golf
Excellent, will try to watch it. If he sticks around till round 3 or the final round wont mind flying in to watch in person. What the hell, with no cricket on; might as well support other countrymen who are doing us proud.

ahnaf
August 11, 2016, 08:14 AM
Siddikur starting now. :)

ahnaf
August 11, 2016, 11:13 AM
In the mid-1990s, a mother in Bangladesh sent her 10-year-old son to work in hopes of funding his education. While the father performed odd jobs, his income was not enough, as the family lived a meager existence. They were just glad to be safe; the father had once described their little village as the “criminals’ den.” One local newspaper simply called it a slum.

The son, the second-youngest of four brothers, eventually found a job as a forecaddie at the nearby golf club. He made some money but eventually lost interest in next-level education. In a country mad about cricket, he had become smitten by golf.

Two decades later, that boy – now 31 years old – walked onto the floor of the Maracana Stadium, the world-famous soccer venue that, on this night, had become the epicenter of the sporting universe. Behind him were a handful of countrymen. In his right hand was a six-foot pole, and at the far end was his nation’s flag. A worldwide TV audience estimated at 3 billion watched as he stepped into the spotlight.

No other men’s golfer was so honored.

Siddikur Rahman’s journey to carrying his nation’s flag during the Opening Ceremony of the Rio Olympics is an unlikely one. It’s also an inspiring one, the kind that usually bubbles to the surface during the Olympics, when the chase for glory need not always manifest itself into a gold medal. Just competing often speaks volumes.

“Even though it’s a fairly new sport in Bangladesh, we’re really proud of this,” Rahman said after a practice round this week. “It’s a huge achievement for me, my country and for golf.”

Rahman appearance in the men’s tournament starting Thursday at the Olympic Golf Course is one he hopes will grow the game in Bangladesh. The challenge is daunting. His country is the size of New York. Unlike the Empire State, which has 818 golf courses, Bangladesh has just 15 … and 10 of those are nine-holers.

But then, Rahman – currently a member of the Asian Tour -- has been defeating the odds his entire career.
Full article

http://www.pgatour.com/news/2016/08/11/bangladeshi-tiger-woods.html

Nice read :)

Anyway, don't want to jinx or anything. Siddikur doing well. Has been consistent so far. :)

And there's no cut in this event. All 60 player will play till the end (throughout 3 or 4 days).

ahnaf
August 11, 2016, 12:22 PM
Well looks like i jinxed him

aklemalp
August 11, 2016, 12:27 PM
He's even...needs some birdies

aklemalp
August 11, 2016, 12:29 PM
2 over now....3 more holes to go in the round...tied for 39th

Tigers_eye
August 11, 2016, 03:05 PM
USA leads with 27 medals...More like USA leads with 11 gold. I hate this total medal stuff. 125+ Silver can't equate to one gold.

aklemalp
August 11, 2016, 03:09 PM
More like USA leads with 11 gold. I hate this total medal stuff. 125+ Silver can't equate to one gold.

This is the same as an online cricket poll...where you will know where and from whom most of the votes will come from....

Tigers_eye
August 11, 2016, 03:15 PM
2 over now....3 more holes to go in the round...tied for 39thTied with Rickie Fowler. Impressive.

Sylheti_Beta
August 12, 2016, 06:22 AM
Tied with Rickie Fowler. Impressive.
:applause: Good work. I am happy regardless of the outcome.

aklemalp
August 12, 2016, 09:19 AM
For some reason, I am overwhelm by the amount of swimming events in the Olympics so far...

Donal C
August 12, 2016, 03:57 PM
O'Donovan brothers pick up Irelands first medal at Rio and our first ever rowing medal with silver today. Fantastic race

PoorFan
August 12, 2016, 06:22 PM
Canadian women football team is impressive, a win against Germany couple of days ago, and now a win against France is on the way.
Seems like these women are playing better than our boys!

aklemalp
August 13, 2016, 09:01 AM
That Ledecky woman was phenomenal. Leading the 2nd place winner by 11 seconds..

Donal C
August 13, 2016, 04:27 PM
Harrington still in with a medal shot going into the 4th round of the golf.

Bangladesh golfer well down at the bottom of the pack, 7 over par.

aklemalp
August 14, 2016, 01:47 PM
Justin Rose of great Britain wins gold in golf.

aklemalp
August 15, 2016, 10:03 AM
US swimmer Ryan Lochte robbed at gunpoint in Rio...

aklemalp
August 17, 2016, 10:44 AM
Medals spread:

Europe-48%
Asia-22%
Americas-21%
Oceania-5%
Africa-4%

aklemalp
August 18, 2016, 11:02 AM
Oh boy,. this is getting nasty for the Americans:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">BREAKING: U.S. Olympic swimmers caused damage at gas station, which they paid for in cash - Brazilian security source</p>&mdash; Reuters U.S. News (@ReutersUS) <a href="https://twitter.com/ReutersUS/status/766286391022129152">August 18, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

aklemalp
August 19, 2016, 03:40 PM
Shamim Chowdhury would give some of these Olympics broadcasters/commentators a run for their money.

aklemalp
August 19, 2016, 10:09 PM
Dah Jamaican nah easy...Usain Bolt.

Unprecented, last three olympics...Beijing, London, and now Rio....gold in 100m, 200m, and 4x100m relay.

Triple triple they call it....

So much talent coming out of Jamaica...cricketers, singers, and my favorite:jerk chicken...

aklemalp
August 22, 2016, 09:09 AM
Which is more significant?...NBA gold or Olympic gold?

Tigers_eye
August 22, 2016, 10:11 AM
NBA of Course. Don't they call themselves world Champions after winning one, lol?

Tigers_eye
August 22, 2016, 10:15 AM
... and my favorite:jerk chicken...Whycliffe Cameron (Jamaican). He is a Jerk and he is a chicken.

Very bad choice aklemalp bro.

aklemalp
August 22, 2016, 10:16 AM
NBA of Course. Don't they call themselves world Champions after winning one, lol?

The most ridiculous thing ever...same with the world series when all of the teams('cept Blue Jays) are from lower 48...:facepalm::facepalm:

aklemalp
August 22, 2016, 10:18 AM
Whycliffe Cameron (Jamaican). He is a Jerk and he is a chicken.

Very bad choice aklemalp bro.

Right here my brother:D:D...mouth watering :

http://i66.tinypic.com/2mi3o10.jpg

Tigers_eye
August 22, 2016, 10:19 AM
Right here my brother:D:D...mouth watering :

http://i66.tinypic.com/2mi3o10.jpgIndeed. :up:

aklemalp
August 22, 2016, 10:21 AM
I hope in my lifetime that all the countries in the Olympics have equal # of participants representing them...Probably the medal spread would be more linear.

Tigers_eye
August 23, 2016, 08:32 AM
I hope in my lifetime that all the countries in the Olympics have equal # of participants representing them...Probably the medal spread would be more linear.
Nope. The chance of us getting a medal would then even decrease. Bad idea Bro. We need to get a sports and ban all the participants except the Host and Bangladesh. May be we can get one medal that way.

aklemalp
August 23, 2016, 03:39 PM
Nope. The chance of us getting a medal would then even decrease. Bad idea Bro. We need to get a sports and ban all the participants except the Host and Bangladesh. May be we can get one medal that way.

Wishful thinking on my part brother...

I seen some of the boats (wooden) in a documentary,,, they are propelled by long poles...I think that's a skill/sport worthy of Olympics :D just kidding....

Zeeshan
August 28, 2016, 10:20 PM
Shamim Chowdhury would give some of these Olympics broadcasters/commentators a run for their money.

LMAOOOOOO

On a less salient note:

Russian-Bangladeshi gymnast wins gold

"The 20-year-old gymnast, whose father is an engineer from Bangladesh settled in Moscow and mother a former Russian gymnast, scored 76.483 points to grab the gold ahead of three-time world champion Russia's Yana Kudryavtseva, who scored 75.408 points to take the silver in a tense final round. Ukraine's Ganna Rizadtiniova won the bronze medal.

Known as the Bengal Tiger, Mamun is currently the top-ranked rhythmic gymnast in the world, but finished second in the world championship, both times to Kudryavtseva. Mamun had previously represented Bangladesh at junior level."

http://www.thedailystar.net/sports/rio2016olympics/mamun-gives-bangladesh-some-solace-1273231

:closeenough:

Meanwhile, I ate chicken tandoori, goat curry, dal makhni all courtesy of dear Ammu. The waiter -who was most respectful- couldn't help but exclaim - my hindi is not good but gist was.. "he has a godfather tattoo and has mom pay for it"

LOLOLOLOL