PDA

View Full Version : COPA AMERICA 2016

One World
June 4, 2016, 07:21 PM
Go USA. Already lost to Coffee land but no worries.

Rooting to watch Brazil take on Peru live at Gillette stadium. Any East Coaster coming?

One World
June 4, 2016, 07:27 PM
Peru just got denied as the shot hit the bar against Haiti. Halftime 0-0.

One World
June 4, 2016, 08:35 PM
Haiti just missed the chance for equalizer, but Peru played better all through the game.
1-0 Final score.

One World
June 4, 2016, 08:37 PM
Brazil face Ecuador soon. :D

One World
June 4, 2016, 11:10 PM
Brazil got lucky, they draw 0-0 although conceding 1 that was mistakenly turned down by atrocious officiating. :down::down::down:

One World
June 5, 2016, 04:11 PM
Venezuela vs Jamaica in Chicago - empty stands.

aklemalp
June 5, 2016, 04:14 PM
^^ probably raining?

One World
June 5, 2016, 04:47 PM
Jamaica down to 10 men.

One World
June 5, 2016, 07:15 PM
Jamaica missed 3 sure chances, one hit the bar, one shot went past higher and one header was too weak for the keeper. Lost 0-1.

Guess what, 5 mins into game and already Mexico 1 - Uruguay 0.

One World
June 5, 2016, 08:43 PM
So far 2 goals in the game, both by Uruguayan players. :D 1-1

aklemalp
June 5, 2016, 08:44 PM
So far 2 goals in the game, both by Uruguayan players. :D 1-1

I'm guessing you're having a blast watching these games One World bro.....I hope Uruguay wins:)

One World
June 5, 2016, 08:55 PM
Now Mexico awarded an off-side goal evolved from a not-so legal corner. RIP referring.

One World
June 5, 2016, 08:57 PM
I'm guessing you're having a blast watching these games One World bro.....I hope Uruguay wins:)

Yeah, the size of the support Mexico having on and off field might make you ponder about the wall Trump proposing :D

One World
June 6, 2016, 08:41 PM
What a win by Panama!

Current champions take on Argentines in less than half an hour.

One World
June 6, 2016, 09:52 PM
Argentina almost conceded an own goal. :lol:

Jadukor
June 6, 2016, 11:05 PM
Good win by Arg

aklemalp
June 6, 2016, 11:07 PM
Is messi playin

Jadukor
June 7, 2016, 12:34 AM
Today he was on the bench. Still recovering from the back injury

One World
June 7, 2016, 06:54 PM
Do or die match for USA.

iDumb
June 7, 2016, 08:43 PM
Do or die match for USA.

I am doing all the combination and permutation so they can be second on the table.... so I guess Colombia needs to win against paraguat ..and USA win against them as well ..... and USA is second..

Then brazil gotta top their group and I get to see USA brazil live on June 17 th....

Any other combination. Would be waste of money :( ...

Never wanted USA to be second on table this bad

iDumb
June 7, 2016, 08:45 PM
Too many passes by USA .... don't know when to shoot ... wide open post and he is.looking to pass ..

One World
June 7, 2016, 08:54 PM
Costa Rica is full of mid field players and zero strikers.

3-0 and cannot say well done USA, their defense will be exposed gravely by Argentina/Brazil/Chile, need repair.

One World
June 7, 2016, 08:59 PM
4-0 now Costa Rica is not really at the same level with all others, another goal galore is expected when Columbia takes on Paraguay.

iDumb
June 7, 2016, 09:03 PM
Y goal galore ? I thought Paraguay is a strong team ? So USA got strong chance against Paraguay ? Anyways supporting Columbia tonight so a tie or a win against Paraguay by USA gets them through to NJ :)

One World
June 7, 2016, 09:36 PM
Coffee and Marijuana - the holy land of Columbia, where if you conceded mistakenly at your own post you have reached the point of no return. RIP Escobar.

One World
June 8, 2016, 07:43 PM
Could not watch first half as my son had baseball playoff and sealed their final berth in local minor league, now all ready 3-0 Haiti looks completely demoralized.

One World
June 8, 2016, 08:20 PM
This is just goal bonanza 6-1

tonmoy.dhaka
June 9, 2016, 11:46 AM
I really do not understand why Brazil cannot play Firminho.

I am not overly excited by the results for Brazil.. They are playing really bad as a team. Dunga was a great player and a world cup winning captain, but he is not a good manager/coach.

iDumb
June 10, 2016, 01:09 AM
Coffee and Marijuana - the holy land of Columbia, where if you conceded mistakenly at your own post you have reached the point of no return. RIP Escobar.

this is such a silly thing to say. The shadows of Escobar is long gone my friend. Have you visited Colombia recently? It's all about James Rodriguez now every corner. And they are a very strong rising nation. I would put them as in the top 3 among the teams in this tournament.

One World
June 10, 2016, 09:59 AM
^No, I did not visit Columbia. But I do not think it is silly. The analogy is Germany (not thinking soccer here) no matter how much they thrive, Hitler cannot be wiped off.

Anyway I cannot believe Uruguay is out. That hurts.

iDumb
June 10, 2016, 02:37 PM
yeah so killing of a soccer player by some thugs is same as a systemic genocide based on creed ??? You are SILLY!

One World
June 10, 2016, 05:20 PM
Don't want to get into this useless jibber-jabber specially during the holy month. If you need to prove something like what you posted lets start an FC thread, "Why iDumb anticipates One World is SILLY based on his online persona" :D.

Here focus should be on soccer. Argentina again. Last game Panama showed why they cannot be neglected.

iDumb
June 10, 2016, 07:53 PM
If you need to prove something like what you posted lets start an FC thread, "Why iDumb anticipates One World is SILLY based on his online persona" :D.

Unfortunately you are not that important. But it's very easy to get away with saying some dumb stuff in this website I guess.

Fortunately for you there aren't any colombians in this website otherwise you would be placed where you belong... in a silly land.

One World
June 10, 2016, 08:11 PM
Fortunately I can google and I am not going to reply. It is like saying Bangladesh is safe for minority or atheist because we are earning in lower middle income bracket and the number of homicides done to such group did not supersede the upper thresh hold to be considered unsafe. Or if psychopath is hanged, murdering 2 or 1 should get as far as life terms.

As I mentioned I am NOT going to discuss people in this thread, or in any other thread either, I do not carry the same taste as yours my friend and I believe I have been around enough here to make members (except few who profoundly enjoy personal attacks) comprehend that.

Hope everybody remains safe and sound during this holy month.

iDumb
June 10, 2016, 08:25 PM
I don't think you know wtf you are talking about.

On top of that reading online isn't enough..it's your ability to decipher info. Bangladesh is unsafe for you and me also. It is also famous for its flood and poverty in the west.. that does not mean every time Bangladesh subject comes I am gonna regurgitate the limited knowledge I have about that country .... and or talk about how its unsafe or has flood ...

Another Perfect example of this is at display in "Bangladesh news" where another smartass posts all terrorism news ... as if nothing else is news worthy in Bangaldesh ....

U gonna write the same **** about escobar in the next world cup when Colombia takes field..and their drugs problem ....

It makes u look dumb

One World
June 10, 2016, 08:40 PM
After reading some aggressive posts in the thread, I suddenly had a revelation. Is it really what is mentioned above is true? May be there is some shortcoming in my perspective, may be I am missing the crux of the argument? Eyes wide open it is actually clear now -

1. Did I try to justify a SILLY Useless murder by the current thriving economy of a country?
2. Did I start to talk about current glory of a soccer nation to nullify a murder which also I consider a negligible mishap of the past?
3. While arguing did I accidentally start and continue undermining directly the person I am having discussion with?

I feel much safer now. My mind does not carry any love for anyone who is detrimental to humanity (which includes inappropriate use of cyberspace).

One World
June 10, 2016, 09:06 PM
Hope Panama equalize before half-time.

One World
June 10, 2016, 09:08 PM
Good attack from Panama.

One World
June 10, 2016, 09:12 PM
Panama down to 10, good opportunity for ARG to accumulate total goals.

One World
June 10, 2016, 09:27 PM
That was a great goal by Dimaria. 1-0 First half.

One World
June 10, 2016, 10:00 PM
Messi finally in.

One World
June 10, 2016, 10:07 PM
What is this with Argentina and handballs :D 2-0

One World
June 10, 2016, 10:11 PM
Panama, good chance, fully messed it up.

One World
June 10, 2016, 10:17 PM
Messi's 2nd goal reminds me of Hagi from Romania. Actually it was more close to Stojkovic of Yugoslavia.

One World
June 11, 2016, 06:55 PM
Good interesting first half USA 1-0.

One World
June 11, 2016, 08:50 PM
Good win by USA being down to 10 whole second half.

cricman
June 12, 2016, 05:32 PM
I am doing all the combination and permutation so they can be second on the table.... so I guess Colombia needs to win against paraguat ..and USA win against them as well ..... and USA is second..

Then brazil gotta top their group and I get to see USA brazil live on June 17 th....

Any other combination. Would be waste of money :( ...

Never wanted USA to be second on table this bad

Colombia vs Brazil

On the bright side, You will be in a stadium filled with beautiful women

One World
June 12, 2016, 07:49 PM
Good no. of spectators. Brazil needs a draw only.

One World
June 12, 2016, 07:57 PM
Dunga looks more like a corporate CEO than a coach :)

aklemalp
June 12, 2016, 08:06 PM
Idk who to support...Brazil or Colombia....well Brazil is Guyana'so neighbor...might as well. ..

One World
June 12, 2016, 08:44 PM
0-0 first half.

One World
June 12, 2016, 09:34 PM
Peru 1- Brazil 0 :( No turned down.

OK it is a goal.

One World
June 12, 2016, 09:39 PM
So, a goal by right hand in a soccer match. History repeats itself.

One World
June 12, 2016, 09:55 PM
Brazil eliminated, what an upset.

iDumb
June 12, 2016, 10:14 PM
Wanted to watch USA vs Brazil.. ended up with colombia vs peru. FML.

600 dollars for this sh**. USA game would have been all worth it.

There was this Haitian guy outside stadium who was looking for tickets, i should have just sold the tickets and gone home.

colombia brazil would have been pretty epic too in NJ, atleast the demand would have been super high for the tix.

NoName
June 13, 2016, 01:45 AM
Loool ofc the Argentines would be celebrating a hand ball goal

One World
June 13, 2016, 07:58 PM
Venezuela 1 - Mexico 0

Half time, are we headed for another upset!

One World
June 13, 2016, 08:48 PM
Corona "Baggio" what a goal 1-1

iDumb
June 13, 2016, 09:00 PM
Finally some quality football at display this mexico Venezuela ...that corona goal simply bow down ..
Great player corona... missed couple also

iDumb
June 14, 2016, 11:34 AM
Just sold my colombia vs peru tickets. Man I put it up on craiglist last night and ppl are really crazy. These guys wanted to travel so far way to get the tickets. I guess I was offering cheap.. still sold for 2x face value 3 tickets....

Same tickets they might had to pay 150 - 180 dollars extra online .. and price still rising...

I think game day there will be drop... I understand if it was usa or a mexico game but a colombia peru game garnering so much demand.. who would've thunk it.

iDumb
June 14, 2016, 04:08 PM
OMG the demand is unreal. I missed a trick. Should have bought the final game tickets as well. If mexico makes it to final... Forget it.... Each ticket (even the nosebleeds ones) can be sold for 500 i think.

I definitely left ~200 bucks on the table. My first experience in resell and craigslist.

One World
June 14, 2016, 07:14 PM
Unbelievable goal Panama 1-Chile 0

One World
June 14, 2016, 07:56 PM
Chile 2 - Panama 1 half-time

One World
June 14, 2016, 08:43 PM
Another nice goal by Panama, Chile 3 - Panama 2

Last 20 mins here

iDumb
June 14, 2016, 11:13 PM
There is no team winning but ARgentina this copa America. With messi on, they are miles above any other team so far. THis shoudl be a world champion team really.

It will likely be Argentina vs Chile final.

But if mexico can knock out chile somehow (mexico playing very well i like their brand)..... then possibly can be a USA/Mexico - Argetina.

I mean latter scenario of Final.. OMG... ki bhul korlam final er ticket na kine... f*&*&

iDumb
June 14, 2016, 11:25 PM
Ok never mind.. looks like USA falls on the argentina side... best they will go is semis...

Argentina vs if any of the two team of Mexico or Colombia makes it.. specially mexico.. in Metlife....forget about it...

iDumb
June 14, 2016, 11:36 PM
Just sold my colombia vs peru tickets. .

regretting..my mail box is full. Sold them too early atleast 100 dollars less per ticket given current market demand. THis is called being a dumass..

I actually kinda wanna go to the game now... 82K packed stadium, how often do you get that? :(

Jadukor
June 15, 2016, 12:11 AM
HiguaĆ­n Boliviar against eo score korte parlona. This guy cost Arg big time last WC and last Copa

BengaliPagol
June 15, 2016, 01:24 AM
Higuain is such a quality striker. But he always had a history of choking in crucial matches. He is a goal scoring machine in the leagues but when it comes to Champions League and national team matches he is toothless.

aklemalp
June 18, 2016, 12:00 PM
Messi and Argentina take on Venezuela tonight..

Jadukor
June 18, 2016, 08:10 PM
Higuain's first goal was brilliant. He needs to keep this up for the next two games. USA vs Arg should be a cracking game.

iDumb
June 18, 2016, 09:24 PM
Though I love USA soccer team to death .. I don't think they stand a chance against this messi team . Also USA will be playing without 3 of their main starting for yellow and red cards ...

It's a shame messi hasn't won a world cup yet ...they just came across a really tough German side I suppose ..

Best footballer in history of football in my opinion.. better than maradona ...

And ppl compare this legend with that poser from Portugal ..what a joke.

aklemalp
June 19, 2016, 10:01 AM
Argentina and Chile through to semis....

Eduardo Vargas 4 goals against Mexico

Higuan 2 goals and messi 1 goal against Venezuela...

So Argentina will face united States in the semis, while Chile will face Colombia. .

Jadukor
June 19, 2016, 10:43 AM
Mexico did a Brazil today. What a meltdown that was.

roman
June 20, 2016, 09:54 AM
Argentina and USA. My two favorite teams. Will be heartbroken regardless of the outcome. Wanted these two teams face each other in final

roman
June 21, 2016, 08:57 PM
Arg 2 USA 0

First half gone

Jadukor
June 21, 2016, 10:29 PM
Wow that was total domination. US team is better than this but couldnt get going at all. Argentina is just playing amazing football. Gaitan, D Maria's absence didnt matter one bit. Hoping they dont do a South Africa in the final

iDumb
June 21, 2016, 11:00 PM
Argentina didn't even try. They can crank up their game up X 2 to 3 . Currently there are no south America team capable of tackling this team .... Chile comes the closest I think ....

Like I said ..miles ahead ... I like to see how some of the European teams fair against them now ? Argentina should ideally win 2018..otherwise it Wil be a shame ... 2 years still long away...

iDumb
June 21, 2016, 11:04 PM
Give messy free kick few feet just outside the box ..it is equal to giving him a penalty ... today's play was just the perfect evidence of messy magic.. if the foul wasn't made it would have been a goal... foul was necessary to prevent the goal but just outside the box ..might as well be a penalty kick for messy .... that's the most danger area when he has the ball...

Me and my friend were talking about precisely this and subsequently the free kick was a perfectly placed goal .....

Later part of the game his team mates couldn't even read his pass ...Maaan magician

Dilscoop
June 26, 2016, 10:22 PM
I don't watch soccer. But I know enough to know people need to hop off of Messi dick. Overrated. World Cup 2014, Copa 2015, 2016. He's the Sachin of soccer. All individual glories.

Superstar players I'd never want in my team in the Championship games. List of Unclutch:

Messi
Peyton Manning
Sachin
Steph Curry
LeBron (pre-game 6-7)
AB de Villiers
Or anyone else from South African cricket team
Gayle

These are all stats machine, nothing else. Give me Montana's, Brady's, Kobe's, Kohli's instead.

iDumb
June 26, 2016, 10:31 PM
dilscoop don't talk like an ignorant bi***. If u don't watch soccer just be quiet ..messi is still better than any footballer u talk about. I feel really sad for him. This Chile team is one of the best... last world cup they went to the semis also....

Argentina repeatedly making finals in major tournaments ...... there is a reason for it...

Dilscoop
June 26, 2016, 10:33 PM
^^
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cl7PIkoWgAENvPj.jpg

:lol:
Messi can't buy a Cup for Argentina with all these star players around him.

Lionel Chokie.

Ajfar
June 26, 2016, 10:38 PM
^ Are you serious Argentina making finals is good enough to show Messi'a greatness. Than why isn't Messy great enough to finish the job? So when Messi takes his team to the final its all his credit but when he can't close the deal in the final its not his fault its either well there are 10 other players on the team excuse or the other team is good. Its a two way street you can't have it both ways.

Bottom line is this, the best player in the world doesn't have a single noteable trophy to show for when it comes to international circuit without the superstars from Barcelona by his side. Honestly Copa America is not even that big of a deal, Euro probably comes 2nd to world cup, but still its something.

Dilscoop
June 26, 2016, 10:41 PM
^ Aj, that's usually the typical response from all the fanboy's of any athletes. All glory, but no blame or accountability. And let's not act like Messi's carrying this team on his back or something. This team is loaded! Di Maria, Aguero, Tevez, Mascherano, Zabaleta, Romero, who else am I missing?

Can't even win a trash league like COPA. And La Liga competition is just as trash. They just have to out Yankee-money Real Madrid and that's it.

Jadukor
June 27, 2016, 01:21 AM
23 year wait continues for Argentina. Losing three finals in a row is a crushing blow to any Arg fan. Matters made much worse by the retirement of messi. This really sucks.

NoName
June 27, 2016, 02:42 AM
L-M-A-O he's retiring :floor:

iDumb
June 27, 2016, 04:35 AM
I hope all of you F***** are happy now.... if Messi holds to it, no more him in 2018. Who the f wants to watch a world cup with the greatest player sitting out on the beach. I feel so sad.

Dilscoop
June 27, 2016, 05:26 AM
LMAO yea like this is somehow OUR fault that he's a one big choke artist. iDumb is seriously one dumb fanboy... Also like how you just completely ignored Ajfar's post because you couldn't find anything logical to say.

Greatest?! LMAO! I know so much more about soccer than you fanboy.

*So much crying-Jordan-Emoji*

jeesh
June 27, 2016, 05:43 AM
Messi's records may see him end up greatest player of all time, but as far as best Argentine footballer of all time, well i guess Maradona will keep that title for the foreseeable future.

What disappointing me is week after week he scores these amazing goals for Barcelona, and when with Argentina all that magic disappears. And this is not just Messi, Aguero, Higuain are all the same.

Barring the rightback position, this is a terrific Argentine side loaded with talent in all areas. Maradona did amazingly in 86 and 90 with comparatively lesser sides with low profile names, lesser European stars. Sometimes single handedly pulled Argentina forward. And whenever he played he could instill this aura of self belief, confidence and positivity amongst his fellow players. Perhaps reasons why Maradona will always be the god of Argentine football.

Night_wolf
June 27, 2016, 06:15 AM
this is sad, 2018 WC will be dull without messi

iDumb
June 27, 2016, 06:21 AM
It is difficult to compare footballers from different generations. Maradona played with lesser team mates true but i think he also played against lesser opponents. Current crop of international players are more athletic, more tactical and players are studied more extensively to have plans at place for them. 5 players sorround Messi the moment he gets the ball...

this is where team cohesiveness comes to play. AT barcelona or any club games, each player understands others game and there is cohesiveness and they play together all the time but at national level these days, you just bring in bunch of club superstars and put them on the field without much preparation.. and you can not win world cups like that... yet they have come so close. That's one of the reason you see Brazil faltering to go even past group stages..

you can see the results of this lack of cohesiveness, some of the passes/assists from Messi, his team mates can not even read, which at club level would probably be goals. IN 2014 WC, there were chances created by messsi which was not put through.. So it is unfair to blame him solely becuase it is not the 80s anymore where one individual performance will get you far... because defense will be placed on your strength..

I don't judge a player based on how many trophies he is getting, i judge him based on the skills he displays on the field. Messi penetrates through 5 good defensive players and sets up goals.. this is nothing short of magic. No other current footballer can do that.

Klose has the highest world cup goals but no football fan will say he is the best german footballer. Even think of Ronaldo of Brazil... his name do not even come up when ppl talk about greatest players these days... with 2 world cup championship....#2 in world cup goals... He was part of a good cohesive team.

Having said all this.. this current ARgentina team has enough strength to be the world champion. Why they can't cross that milestone is hard to answer. I think it's probably a combination of lack of practice together/cohesiveness, superior defense from opponents/facing just a better put together unit (ie germany 2014), perhaps even a little lack of pride in playing for a country that you are not part of since childhood...I don't know. But the team is still coming to finals and falling just short and that too on extra times or penalties.

iDumb
June 27, 2016, 06:34 AM
Greatest?! LMAO! I know so much more about soccer than you fanboy.

Good for you. Trolls like you will always come out blazing in times like this. Real football fans sometimes watch football for its sheer art not to see some ugly goals. Don't get too hung up on results. We are Bangaldeshis/American - why do we care if argentina wins or loses.. but we do like to see some good soccer at display....

and hence all the illogical hating on the greatest footballer ever is annoying.

jeesh
June 27, 2016, 06:43 AM
It is difficult to compare footballers from different generations. Maradona played with lesser team mates true but i think he also played against lesser opponents. Current crop of international players are more athletic, more tactical and players are studied more extensively to have plans at place for them. 5 players sorround Messi the moment he gets the ball...

this is where team cohesiveness comes to play. AT barcelona or any club games, each player understands others game and there is cohesiveness and they play together all the time but at national level these days, you just bring in bunch of club superstars and put them on the field without much preparation.. and you can not win world cups like that... yet they have come so close. That's one of the reason you see Brazil faltering to go even past group stages..

you can see the results of this lack of cohesiveness, some of the passes/assists from Messi, his team mates can not even read, which at club level would probably be goals. IN 2014 WC, there were chances created by messsi which was not put through.. So it is unfair to blame him solely becuase it is not the 80s anymore where one individual performance will get you far... because defense will be placed on your strength..

I don't judge a player based on how many trophies he is getting, i judge him based on the skills he displays on the field. Messi penetrates through 5 good defensive players and sets up goals.. this is nothing short of magic. No other current footballer can do that.

Klose has the highest world cup goals but no football fan will say he is the best german footballer. Even think of Ronaldo of Brazil... his name do not even come up when ppl talk about greatest players these days... with 2 world cup championship....#2 in world cup goals... He was part of a good cohesive team.

Having said all this.. this current ARgentina team has enough strength to be the world champion. Why they can't cross that milestone is hard to answer. I think it's probably a combination of lack of practice together/cohesiveness, superior defense from opponents/facing just a better put together unit (ie germany 2014), perhaps even a little lack of pride in playing for a country that you are not part of since childhood...I don't know. But the team is still coming to finals and falling just short and that too on extra times or penalties.
Well said, nice analysis, particularly on the comparison with players from different generation. I always have a debate with a mate of mine how Sachin faced better bowling than Bradman, but we can never come to a conclusion with that debate.

One issue Messi faces with the NT is the others simply dont step up with him around, whereas in Barca its a team effort. Who knows if pressure is reduced from his shoulders he can do better. But this is where Maradona was a boss, he relished pressure and challenges.

Argentina is playing far better quality of football than some of the big teams in EURO. They have the players, they have the system-somehow they underperform when it matters. But how Tata Martinez can end this 30 year drought, not sure.

ahnaf
June 27, 2016, 07:12 AM

lol which people? Ours? Yes. i can understand that. They barely watch football except big occasion.
and he was just part of a good team? He is one of the best forward of the game (if not the best). Cant believe what i'm reading here.

Dilscoop
June 27, 2016, 07:15 AM
^ dude iDumb is clearly a Messi fanboy. With any fanboys, there will always be delusional and illogical comments.

Good for you. Trolls like you will always come out blazing in times like this. Real football fans sometimes watch football for its sheer art not to see some ugly goals. Don't get too hung up on results. We are Bangaldeshis/American - why do we care if argentina wins or loses.. but we do like to see some good soccer at display....

and hence all the illogical hating on the greatest footballer ever is annoying.

IDK what any of that has to do with anything I said. But I watch soccer enough to know Sachin Messiedulkar is NOT the greatest footballer ever. And between the two of us, you're the GOAT troll. :)

Please quit acting like a fanboy.

iDumb
June 27, 2016, 07:21 AM
lol which people? Ours? Yes. i can understand that. They barely watch football except big occasion.
and he was just part of a good team? He is one of the best forward of the game (if not the best). Cant believe what i'm reading here.

LOL. You sound like a Brazilian fan. My point was he was able to achieve some of those trophys because he was part of a good cohesive teams, as opposed to Brazil now that can't even make it past group stages or get humiliated at wc at home despite having good individual players. No where did I say he is not a great player... another way of putting it would be he had achieved more at World stage despite being a poorer player than Messi ...

ahnaf
June 27, 2016, 07:29 AM
LOL. You sound like a Brazilian fan. My point was he was able to achieve some of those trophys because he was part of a good cohesive teams, as opposed to Brazil now that can't even make it past group stages or get humiliated at wc at home despite having good individual players. No where did I say he is not a great player... another way of putting it would be he had achieved more at World stage despite being a poorer player than Messi ...

and you sound like a classic argentine fan.

Lol. they don't even play in the same position. anyway, lets just agree to disagree.

iDumb
June 27, 2016, 07:35 AM
. they don't even play in the same position. .

Yeah I know Messi plays in a more respectable position. All the lazy fat asses plays forward. And ronaldo was a fatass no denying that. :p

I am not an ARgentine fan. I like Germany outside USA. But you can say I regard Messi highly and a big fan.

mufi_02
June 27, 2016, 08:13 AM
I really wanted Argentina to win!!!

he scored through a pin hole in free kicks and failed on penalty! how can he miss!! I really feel for him. He knew it was over the moment he missed it.

by the way, the culprit for argentina was higuain. Had the best chance of the game and ruined in it. Di maria was poor as well.

ahnaf
June 27, 2016, 08:22 AM
quoting someone else post.. Perfectly summed up

I would feel bad for Messi, if not for the fan boys (and girls). And if he didn't "retire" which was such a bitch move. Maradona on his *** all the time. The small sample size of the international game. But the fans make it insufferable, and since he bitched out after failing, screw him. He's been brilliant in this tournament, but they had a joke of a run-in. He comes on against 10 man Panama and lights them up. They get Venezuela then the US to get to the final. Not one person even thought it was relevant that the one tough game they won, against Chile in the group stage, he didn't even play. Everyone keeps saying they're the #1 team in the world, they beat Chile without him...this team is loaded. It's not all about him.

But they've made it about him. Simple assists turned into masterpieces. Easy chances turned into the greatest goals ever. It was like an economic bubble. Inflating the value of Messi's assets. Then when he misses a PK, misses, not even saved so you can't credit the keeper, but misses, the bubble bursts, and here's the carnage. When you're given too much credit for things you didn't do, and then completely let the team down individually at the critical moment, you're going to get it. It's a bit unfair because he never asked for all the credit, but again, once you fake retire to deflect negative press, you lose any sympathy.

aklemalp
June 27, 2016, 09:26 AM
Thought Argentina had a chance against Chile...it was gonna be a good contest....and it did..penalty missed

29 year old messi calling it quits on the international scene...I'm quite disappointed. The appetite for winning should never die..winning a championship for your country is the sweetest feeling. Better than a million titles in the European leagues.

I hope he doesn't pull a 'Raqibul'...

Where will the next superstar of South American football come from? Which country?

Ajfar
June 27, 2016, 10:16 AM
How can someone be in the conversation for the greatest player ever without having one a single major international tournament? Messi is a great player, def up there amongst the best. But if you have nothing to show for in the international circuit than you are not above the pack. I know people have obsession for Messi and I get it but you can't deny that he had 3 back to back chances to cement his legacy and failed everytime. Each of those games could have ended Argentina's way if Messi delivered, but he didn't. If people would take a step back from their obsession I think most people will agree you need to have at least one major trophy in international circuit to have the title of the greatest ever.

roman
June 27, 2016, 10:30 AM
^ I agree. Maradona will always be above Messi only because He gave Argentina the much cherished world cup. So did Pele.

But I do think Messi will reconsider his decision. It was just an emotional outbreak. He will be back and will lift the cup in Russia

mufi_02
June 27, 2016, 10:56 AM
yeah shakib is not the best ever Bangladeshi player just coz he didn't any win any major cup for BD.

and sachin could not have been the best batsmen of modern era if he didn't win the WC.

iDumb
June 27, 2016, 11:32 AM
I think ajfar like neymer and his hairstyle .... u answering ur own question .... they are still making to the finals of 3 consecutive major competition where in each the game went overtime ... penalty shootout can not determine a champion side ...

Few tweaks here and there and they could have had all three... would then ur rhetoric change about messi being not the greatest .. unlikely cuz I think u are blinded by brazil/rival support ...

Argentina was met by a lethal German unit in both 2010 and 2014 ... it does not mean messi on its own not better than any of those players by themselves ... maradona with all his glory still has only 1 cup and it was probably on steroids :p. If it's anyone it's maradona that's overhyped...

Dilscoop
June 27, 2016, 12:08 PM
yeah shakib is not the best ever Bangladeshi player just coz he didn't any win any major cup for BD.

and sachin could not have been the best batsmen of modern era if he didn't win the WC.

Where's MohammadShamim when you need him?

You're right. Shakib IS the best Bangladeshi cricket in the world. But he's not the best player, ever, in the World. And until he wins a couple of World Cup for Bangladesh, he's "No.1 ranked ALR" won't mean jack **** once he hangs it up. It already doesn't. He goes missing in the World events.

Sachin was all about personal milestones. If it weren't for Yuvi and Gambhir in WC11, he'd be titleless just like Messi.

I'd take Ponting, who averages less and has lot less 100's, for his 3 World Titles, over Sachin's all the personal records. Ponting is the definition of clutch. He showed up big time in big games. And he played in a loaded ***, ATG team and managed to outshine them.

Just checked the stats: he was top 3 run scorer in 03, 07. And in the top 10 in 99. He scored in the knockout games. And he had the busiest job in the world. Captaincy.

Ajfar
June 27, 2016, 01:02 PM
I think ajfar like neymer and his hairstyle .... u answering ur own question .... they are still making to the finals of 3 consecutive major competition where in each the game went overtime ... penalty shootout can not determine a champion side ...

Few tweaks here and there and they could have had all three... would then ur rhetoric change about messi being not the greatest .. unlikely cuz I think u are blinded by brazil/rival support ...

Argentina was met by a lethal German unit in both 2010 and 2014 ... it does not mean messi on its own not better than any of those players by themselves ... maradona with all his glory still has only 1 cup and it was probably on steroids :p. If it's anyone it's maradona that's overhyped...

You lost your credibilty when you started talking about Neymar and his hairstyle. When no one here is talking about Brazil or Neymar. Like I said if you step back from your biasness you would see what I'm talking about.

It doesn't matter how many oh so close Messi was away from winning the bottom line is he didn't win. How close were each of those game? You mean to tell me if we are going to call Messi the greatest player ever he couldn't come up with magic just once across 3 different games in 3 different years? Great players deliver when its needed the most. What's the excuse for Messi missing the penalty yesterday? You can't even say the goal keeper read it perfectly. Its all on Messi.

Dilscoop
June 27, 2016, 01:05 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cl7TrLfWAAAlFrD.jpg:large

V

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cl7SeO5WQAAhkO7.jpg

=

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/6ZPKiaQKNv8/maxresdefault.jpg

Ajfar
June 27, 2016, 01:07 PM

Who said Messi is not amongst the best? Read my post man. Argentina fans are losing it. I pointed out that in order to be considered the greatest player ever you need to have at least something to show for in the international circuit.

mufi_02
June 27, 2016, 01:25 PM
^took the team to 2014 WC final, 15 copa America final, 16 copa America final.

all three went to extra time..

if that's the metric, then C Ronaldo is amateur. can barely take Portugal to QF, forget semis or finals.

roman
June 27, 2016, 01:29 PM
LOL..How on earth Shak came into comparison with Messi? Yes Shak is the best player of BD, but that doesnt make him the greatest player on earth or even greatest all-rounder ever. Let him help BD win the world cup and ONLY then he will be considered as one of the greatest of cricket.

Likewise, Neymar could be the best player of Brazil at the moment. But is he the greatest Brazilian player ever? World cup is the main criteria if you want to call someone greatest ever. Of course achievement in club level is something noteworthy, but nothing can surpass success at international level. Thats why players like Beckenbower, Pele or Maradona are considered one of the greatest. Because they were successful in club level and they also lifted the most cherished cup for their own countries.

Dilscoop
June 27, 2016, 01:47 PM
^took the team to 2014 WC final, 15 copa America final, 16 copa America final.

all three went to extra time..

if that's the metric, then C Ronaldo is amateur. can barely take Portugal to QF, forget semis or finals.

"Took the team" --- yea please! So much work, having to carry this broke *** team filled with kana-mamas. All three of those Arg squads were loaded. This same team beat Chili w/o Messi earlier.

Since you bring it up, besides Ronaldo who else is on the Portugal squad? Not to mention Euro is a much tougher league than Copa. Copa is a joke. And I can't even stand Ronaldo. He's a douche

Dilscoop
June 27, 2016, 01:48 PM
Fanboys yet to make a logical counter argument. "Maradona was on roids, Ronaldo was fat." "Neymar's hair cut."

You choke in the final, you're not the greatest ever. SIMPLE!

Win a title ... Wait too late, he copped out like a lil bitch

iDumb
June 27, 2016, 02:05 PM
Likewise, Neymar could be the best player of Brazil at the moment. But is he the greatest Brazilian player ever? s.

He is not even a player ..he is a hack .. and Ajfar loves this hack ...

Listen I don't even like Argentina but the logic that one has to lift a country trophy to be eligible to be called greatest is a poor one ... some of the major clubs across all leagues are better than most national teams if u can hypothetically put them head to head ..... soccer has changed over the last 30 years

Ur logic is u are great if u can carry bunch of underperformers to glory for ur country ...... yes true messi plays with good players in barca but he produces unbelievable plays ... he is perhaps unable to do that in Argentina (which is not true it seems that way) not because he isn't great but because the team understanding is not there..

Let me put it differently .... mozart composition need talented musicians to come to life.. it won't work with bunch kids feom 5th grade music band 101 class....

So the argument many put forth is wrong because it's counterintuitive .. messy looks great in club because he plays with good players ...it's actually the opposite.. he can display his talent when he has equally adept player assisting him .... if you are mediocre..u will look worse next to good players.

Having said all this... I still think he needs to.win a.wc just to shut the naysayers and haters ...and that's y it's more sad when he wants to quit national team

mufi_02
June 27, 2016, 02:08 PM
Okay he isn't the best player of all time. But he is currently the best player.

If you disagree, then tell us who do you think is the best player in the world?

CR7, Bale, Zlatan or someone else ??

Dilscoop
June 27, 2016, 02:12 PM
Sure. He's currently the best player going around. I'd pick him in FIFA over anyone else.

But don't make us laugh by saying he's the best to ever do it.

iDumb
June 27, 2016, 02:12 PM
Pooch.....

mufi_02
June 27, 2016, 02:23 PM
Sure. He's currently the best player going around. I'd pick him in FIFA over anyone else.

But don't make us laugh by saying he's the best to ever do it.

I agree that he isn't all time best. Maybe Pele / Maradona were better.

Same argument can be said around Sachin and Viv Richards.

Viv helped win 3 WC and Sachin won 1 towards the end of his career and that too with minimal contribution.

But many still consider Sachin >> Viv

mufi_02
June 27, 2016, 02:25 PM
Pooch.....

Lol he won copa. So he is the best

aklemalp
June 27, 2016, 02:26 PM
^^Correction. ..Viv didn't win 3 WC.

mufi_02
June 27, 2016, 02:28 PM
I meant 2.. Man you are too fast!! Give us time to breathe

roman
June 27, 2016, 02:34 PM
I would pick Viv over Sachin. But thats a different topic.

aklemalp
June 27, 2016, 02:37 PM
I meant 2.. Man you are too fast!! Give us time to breathe

Ahh...would have love if he won 3 WC tho :D

Dilscoop
June 27, 2016, 02:50 PM
I'd pick

Real Ronaldo over all others. Zidane close 3rd. Had he not lost his **** in 06.

Ponting over Sachin Tachin
Warne over Murali (Murali better but leggie biased)
Wasim over Mcgrath
Lee over Shoaib

MJ over Kobe
Montana over Aikman

From current:

Messi over Ronaldo

Kohli over AB de
Starc over Mustafiz
Steyn over Anderson
Where the hell are all the spinners? I'll have to settle for Ashwin over? No competition.

Brady over Rodgers
Curry over LeBron (I hate LeBron)

mufi_02
June 27, 2016, 03:16 PM
^ Ananta Jalil OR Shakib Khan??

(Google if you don't know)

Dilscoop
June 27, 2016, 03:50 PM
<iframe src="https://vine.co/v/5udwFZVVOZz/embed/simple" width="600" height="600" frameborder="0"></iframe><script src="https://platform.vine.co/static/scripts/embed.js"></script>

cry some more!

Ajfar
June 27, 2016, 04:21 PM
He is not even a player ..he is a hack .. and Ajfar loves this hack

Lol I don't know why you keep bringing up Neymar. You sound like BNP Awami blind supporter, rather than talking about what's relevant, you would rather discuss someone who is not even relevant to the topic.

Listen I don't even like Argentina but the logic that one has to lift a country trophy to be eligible to be called greatest is a poor one ... some of the major clubs across all leagues are better than most national teams if u can hypothetically put them head to head ..... soccer has changed over the last 30 years

Ur logic is u are great if u can carry bunch of underperformers to glory for ur country ...... yes true messi plays with good players in barca but he produces unbelievable plays ... he is perhaps unable to do that in Argentina (which is not true it seems that way) not because he isn't great but because the team understanding is not there

lol your argument makes zero sense. You said, your logic is you are great if you carry a bunch of underperformer to glory. First I never said that. And second under performers? Lol you are clearly a Messi fan boy, losing your mind over this loss. Its not even worth my time to write down the top players Argentina had in their run during the world cup and Copa America.

And now the part about team understanding is not there? Lol so let me get this right. The team understanding is there when Messi takes the team to 3 finals in a row, but can't close the deal just one more time because the team understanding is not there?

List of your excuse- great German team, plays in a team full of under performer, understanding not there with the team.

I asked previously what's the excuse for Messi missing the penalty? Like I said instead of talking about what's relevant you would rather talk about Neymar. Greatest player ever can not have 3 back to chokes in a final game in his resume. How can you be called the greatest player EVER to have played the game, if you can't pull of just one goal in 3 huge games and on top of that you go screw up a penalty shot.

[/QUOTE]
So the argument many put forth is wrong because it's counterintuitive .. messy looks great in club because he plays with good players ...it's actually the opposite.. he can display his talent when he has equally adept player assisting him .... if you are mediocre..u will look worse next to good players [/QUOTE]

So another words, Messi needs Barcelona players by his side to display his greatness. The greatest player ever to have played the game, also needs players of his quality by his side to show his greatness. I hope you realize that's a knock on Messi that people always point out, so you just agreed with them. Oh and once again check the name of some of the players Messi has on his Argentina team.

I hate arguing in BC. It always somehow turns into oh you hate such and such player because you love this other player. In this case idumb is clearly convinced I hate messi because I like Neymar. I like Messi, in fact I went to go see Messi live against Brazil in 2012. Brazil lost 4-3 and Messi got a hatrick I believe. It was the best game I watched because I was there. I know the quality player he is. But to me he is not the best ever to have played the game, he would have finished off at least one of those 3 finals and bring glory for Argentina after so long.

jeesh
June 27, 2016, 10:57 PM
Excellent article on the Messi-Maradona debate

http://www.goal.com/en/news/585/argentina/2016/06/27/25110072/forever-in-maradonas-shadow-messi-will-never-live-up-to?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=enfb

iDumb
July 2, 2016, 07:20 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/pHUntI_F_5M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

a summary.