PDA

View Full Version : News: BANGLADESH wants to do a 'David' in Windies (ThatsCricket.com)

Zunaid
May 12, 2004, 04:26 PM
Wednesday, May 12 2004 08:53 Hrs (IST)

Kingstown: Bangladesh commence their first, but brief cricket tour of the Caribbean, when they face a West Indies Cricket Board XI in a One-day practice match prior to the opening One-day International of a best-of-three series against West Indies.

After spending the last few days getting acclimatised to Caribbean conditions, Bangladesh will be looking to make a winning start to their tour and send an early warning signal to Brian Lara's side that they do not intend to be pushovers in the coming weeks.

Though Australia-born coach Dav Whatmore has highlighted the growing competitive spirit within his side, Bangladesh are the unchallenged minnows of international cricket and will be hoping to create a stir against a West Indies side that has been as unpredictable as the Caribbean weather of late.

Habibul Bashar's side is looking to reverse an ODI record that only coughs up four wins from 85 matches played and they will be hoping to use this warm-up match to get themselves razor sharp for West Indies.

Two late changes have been made to the WICB'S XI for the match.

Fast bowler Jason Bennett is injured and will be replaced by left-arm medium-fast bowler Pedro Collins, while Narsingh Deonarine's and David Bernard's unavailability makes room for left-hander Austin Richards.

Dinesh Ramdin, the captain of the Young West Indies side that reached the ICC Youth World Cup Bangladesh 2007, will lead the WICB XI. Lendl Simmons, another member of that side, has also been included.

The side also includes experienced opener Wavell Hinds, who is returning from an injury layoff that forced him to miss the preceding England visit to the Caribbean, and fellow senior internationals Sylvester Joseph, Ryan Hinds, Carlton Baugh and Jermaine Lawson.

The Arnos Vale pitch is usually on the slow side for One-day matches. It means batsmen will likely have to graft and bowlers will have to toil long and hard for wickets.

WICB XI: Dinesh Ramdin (captain), Carlton Baugh, Pedro Collins, Ryan Hinds, Wavell Hinds, Sylvester Joseph, Jermaine Lawson, Austin Richards, Lendl Simmons, Dwight Washington, Kurt Wilkinson.

Bangladesh (from): Habibul Bashar (captain), Rajin Saleh (vice-captain), Mohammed Ashraful, Tarek Aziz, Topash Baisya, Faisal Hossain, Shahriar Hossain, Manjural Islam, Ajok Kopali, Khaled Mahmud, Khaled Mashud, Mohammed Rafique, Mushfiqur Rahman, Abdur Razzak, Hannan Sarker.

source - ThatsCricket.com (http://www.thatscricket.com/news/2004/05/12/1205bangladesh.html)

lbw375
May 12, 2004, 08:53 PM
Ok people

You got the little practice match in the bag.

Enjoy it, the hurting will start in a few days

Zunaid
May 12, 2004, 08:55 PM
We've been hurting for a long time now... we are looking to give some back.. whether you guys this trip or later .. it'll happen ... and it will hurt bad .. looking for a good series - no half measures - no holding back

rikiniki
May 12, 2004, 09:06 PM
i see in other posts that you guys have welcomed the absence of lara...mind you it is only for two one days.... be afraid.be very afraid.

Zunaid
May 12, 2004, 09:09 PM
naaah... Bashar will get Lara again

lbw375
May 12, 2004, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by Zunaid
naaah... Bashar will get Lara again

waaaaaaaaaaahhhh

Good one

Listen, you remember the 400* ?

That was against England, if Lara decide he want 501* watch out !!

rikiniki
May 12, 2004, 09:41 PM
PROBABLY HE WILL.......ON 501!!!

reinausagi
May 12, 2004, 11:07 PM
Ok peopleYou got the little practice match in the bag.

All this bravado from a team freshly spanked by a non-descript pommie team?

Lara my bottom! His lack of leadership is rivalled only by w/l test record. Walcott, Weeks, Worrel, Kanhai, Sobers, Kallicharan, Lloyd, or a Richards, he is not.

RazabQ
May 12, 2004, 11:44 PM
As I mentioned in my previous posts, both countrys' fans are emotional exuberant bunch - so a propensity to talk trash is understandable. But banglacricket.com is a precious resouce - let's not use up valuable disk space or cpu utilization posting back and forth on "we gonna kick your a**" and "noooo we gonna kick it", et al.

I enjoy trash talking as much as the next guy but trying to think of the greater cause here.

Razab

Orpheus
May 13, 2004, 01:07 AM
raza miah the only trash post I see here is yours!

these are all friendly exchange of words.. nothing trash about it... I like it!

Rubu
May 13, 2004, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by lbw375
Ok people

You got the little practice match in the bag.

u have no idea how hurting proof we are! we are used to it, and nothing new to us. what the big deal if we get 6 more lose? i'm including the 3day practice match as well. but, u better think about yourself. if, somehow, u can get one upset, u gonna start crying like nayagra falls. ;)

FaltuRidwanBhai
May 13, 2004, 04:22 AM
well,
bangladesh have won against the president XI. maybe to many people think that it is not a big deal cuz its just a president XI. but i think it is a big deal because this team was actually no less stronger than an A team. because it had players like lawson and collins who are actually more experienced than most bd players. and maybe bangladesh had a batting collapse but i think that was mainly because of the pitch. and this was also their first match in the carribean islands. so i dont there is any reason why we should not be happy. we should cheer up. and after alo jita is jita. dannabad.

RazabQ
May 13, 2004, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by Orpheus
raza miah the only trash post I see here is yours!

Orph miya.. check your U2U :)

AsifTheManRahman
May 13, 2004, 12:13 PM
Yeah yeah...the WI are gonna kick our butts...watever...there's no glory in doing that for them...
However, once we do it to them, they ain't gonna b able ta take their eyes off the ground...:P

Ahmed_B
May 13, 2004, 12:40 PM
it seems we're gonna miss ur fabulous 'kintu' style due to the presence of new visitors from the Carribean Islands...

keep it up anyway.. and welcome back..
where have you been man?!!
there was so much action all over last night!
:D

rassel
May 13, 2004, 01:04 PM
hold up manÖ..! I couldnít figure it out why the big talk coming from fellow Indies fan! Let me ring a bell into your ear; your test Status hit rock bottom getting closer to Zim and next thing you will be closer to BD as well. Let me invigorate your memory: in the previous 3 series you have played 11 test matches: Win= 1, Lost= 7, draw=3. African blow you away in their back yard, and England beating was too much bear for any test playing nation, against Zimbabwe you barely won a single match. So, stop talking like you are king of the world, beating Bangladesh ainít gone prove S#%t!, but losing will bring nightmare for a long time!:lol::umm::lol:

[Edited on 13-5-2004 by rassel]

Zephaniah
May 13, 2004, 01:19 PM
Lets make love* not war. This is the battle of basement, i.e series between 8th and 9th ranked team (yeah! Zimbos are the 10th at this moment). Hope for a good series, shall we?

*I'm as straight as straight line. Go figure! :umm::karate:

SS
May 13, 2004, 01:39 PM
Mr. rassel please change
ur signature...infact you can keep it
because BD batsmen won't do against
WI attack..yesterday it was 70/5 one
time and it was against pace attack.
in ODI series, just see how we will do
against pace attacks.

rassel
May 13, 2004, 01:52 PM
not yet S.S. lets wait and see. I ainít gone change my signature unless their fiery bowlers burns our heart out!
:cool:

[Edited on 13-5-2004 by rassel]

SS
May 13, 2004, 02:26 PM
Mr. rassel
remember you betting against odds..but it wont
work batsmen still not in position of
playing quality pace bowlers...it's only
our late order batsmen that saves otherwise batting has not improved at all.

rassel
May 13, 2004, 02:45 PM
Come on S.S., we already faced quality bowlers like McGrath , Lee , Gillespie and canít leave out Shoaib Akhtar as well. Our batsmen performed fairly well against these world class pacers. Any pace can be handle by our batsmen nowadays.;)