PDA

View Full Version : ***The Biryani Thread***

SportingBD
January 14, 2017, 01:27 PM
Simple,

Places where you had Biryani and how you would rate it out of 5 (5 being Excellent), how was the price? too expensive or decent for the quality of Biryani? When was the last time you had Biryani, have you cooked Biryani by yourself before?. How did you compare home made Biryani to restaurants etc.

I had Biryani in Bangladesh & UK. The Chicken Biryani I had in Bangladesh was around in 2004/2005, the quality of Biryani was Good (3.5 out of 5), I am not sure about the price as my cousin paid, apparently it is a good restaurant (called President) in BD, I won't know so much. Plus my cousins made Biryani every time we visited different places to visit them, it was good, nothing too special.

However, the best Biryani I had is in UK, I am not sure if the take-away is Turkish or Pakistani, but its one of the best Biryani I ever had (5/5). the price was really good, I paid (£5), I think its 500 BD Taka.. it was near to my first job place.. however I now miss that place, as I can't go there anymore... its around 45/50 min by train..and my current place of work is like 10 minute from where I live....

Please share you experience... where did you first have your Biryani (away from home)? did you like it... how do you compare to all the places you had Biryani etc.

DinRaat
January 14, 2017, 03:08 PM
Hajis Biryani Australia-Lakemba

food:8/10
price:9/10

Indian cusine bashundhara mall
food:6/10
price:4/10

adamnsu
January 14, 2017, 05:48 PM
Kassi biryani is the ultimate biryani in the world! For me that is the only biryani.

In UK here are my findings:

I go to Dhaka Biryani for their Kassi which is more like lamb biryani. The biryani has an egg, you get a saabze or daal and costs £5. I give it a 3.5 out of 5. Its mildly spiced which is why it doesn't score well and the rice quality ain't the best.

My weddings caterer was Sapna and their biryani is great. They have a Ramadan buffet for £15 and biryani gets 4.5/5.

I had a chicken biryani and mutton biryani in a posh restaurant called dhishoom. 3.5/5 for me as its very mildy spiced.

I cook a biryani using Shaan Maasala Bombaby Biryani with mutton. People rate it 5 out of 5. I have adjusted and made tweeks making it my own. I used to make it for my friends in 2006, they still rave on about it ☺.

Tbh Biryani in the UK for me is best cooked at home as people cook it for a Bangladeshi palette.

aklemalp
January 14, 2017, 05:49 PM
Pictures,pictures, pictures....please

bujhee kom
January 19, 2017, 03:19 PM
Mash Allah! Finally, a good and a useful thread!

Be right back, bhaiya!

Shingara
January 19, 2017, 03:26 PM
Best biriyani in UK for £5 ?
Bhai, ki kon ? Eto kom takay bhalo biriyani hoy na.

Ekta idea ashlo matahay. Why don't we London-based members meet up for some biriyani ?

SportingBD
January 19, 2017, 04:25 PM
Best biriyani in UK for £5 ?
Bhai, ki kon ? Eto kom takay bhalo biriyani hoy na.

Ekta idea ashlo matahay. Why don't we London-based members meet up for some biriyani ?

If you pay for all the Biryanis definitely bro:D

Yes for £5 top quality, I loved it, maybe others may have a different taste.

Rifat
January 19, 2017, 04:33 PM
Hydrabadi Biriyani made by....an actual Hydrabadi :D is da best I have ever had

One World
January 20, 2017, 02:31 PM
Jamaica, NY - Sagar
Jackson Heights, NY - Haat Bazaar
Tyngsboro, MA - Mehfil
Chelmsford, MA - Madras Grill
Lowell, MA - Paradise Biriani House > Pria
Dallas (Richardson), TX - Spice N Rice >> Chameli Restaurant

roman
January 20, 2017, 03:59 PM
Hydrabadi Biriyani made by....an actual Hydrabadi :D is da best I have ever had

Heard a lot about it but havent found any authentic hydrabadi restaurant here in NY. Really want to try it one day

bujhee kom
January 20, 2017, 04:11 PM
Dhuurr miahs, ki bolu tumra...'Nirob' of the Bronx has the best biriyani and Murag Pulao!

Once you eat Nirob's biriyani, even your fart smells tasty and heavenly. I swear!

SportingBD
January 20, 2017, 04:17 PM
How are the prices like in USA?

Mas_UK25
January 21, 2017, 12:52 PM
Biryani is biryani for me. I like any as long as it's chicken biryani..!

aklemalp
January 21, 2017, 12:55 PM
Show them pictures nah mon...

13 posts into the thread, and getting impatient and Hungry...:lol:

NoName
January 21, 2017, 03:07 PM
Biryani is biryani for me. I like any as long as it's chicken biryani..!

Yeh same, idgaf nor do I have the time to keep track if its Hyderbadi, Kaachi or w.e other variations there are lol. As long as it tastes good idc.

aklemalp
January 21, 2017, 04:27 PM
I kinda like the Sri Lankan biryani here in the restaurants on the island.

Rifat
January 21, 2017, 05:26 PM
I kinda like the Sri Lankan biryani here in the restaurants on the island.

can u please name a me a good sri lankan restaurant? (I am assuming u live near staten island)

aklemalp
January 21, 2017, 06:16 PM
can u please name a me a good sri lankan restaurant? (I am assuming u live near staten island)

This is one of the best Sri Lankan restaurant on the island: Lakruwana.

Saturday and Sunday all-you-can-eat buffet(lunch and dinner).

roman
January 21, 2017, 07:34 PM

If you come to Jamaica, try spicy Lanka.

But agree with BK bhai. Nirob's food is amazing. But not sure about the fart part though:lol:

Rifat
January 21, 2017, 07:37 PM
This is one of the best Sri Lankan restaurant on the island: Lakruwana.

Saturday and Sunday all-you-can-eat buffet(lunch and dinner).

If you come to Jamaica, try spicy Lanka.

But agree with BK bhai. Nirob's food is amazing. But not sure about the fart part though:lol:

thank you very much for the info :)

aklemalp
January 21, 2017, 07:42 PM
^^gotta go to queens to try that Sagar's

I googled it and noticed that there aren't any in Jackson Heights..it leads me to Jamaica...

I'd be curious to try theirs :)

iDumb
January 21, 2017, 09:30 PM
https://s23.postimg.org/yusrre6uj/IMG_20170121_2120490_rewind.jpg

Here is a biriyani I am about to have now ... ^^ Hajir biriyani by Sagar.

problem with biriyanis here is i feel like they dont put enough ingredients.....

bujhee kom
January 22, 2017, 04:34 PM
SportingBD bhaiya,

Please treat/feed me biriyani. I will come visit you in London.
And Shingara bhaiya, treat me with Shingaras!

Roman bhaiyo, cholo, tumi, ami and aklemalp - Nirob-e giye tripple khasi biriyani kheye ashi!

Rifat dosto, wait till you get married, your weedding day, I can't wait. I will eat a whole Dekchi full of Khasi+goru biriayni + Murgir Roast + 3 jugs of Burhaani! Get married soon, Rifat!

Idumb/Orpheus, eta ki re bhaiyo?? Shudhu dekhi Haddi with khichuri!!

SportingBD
January 22, 2017, 04:41 PM
Lol.. everyone gonna feed you Biryani hehe..
not sure how to respond to the request...
PM me if you come to London, and InshaAllah if I'm available for sure.

aklemalp
January 22, 2017, 04:44 PM
What's better?

Goat biryani or chicken biryani.

Once, I tried egg biryani...didn't like it.

adamnsu
January 22, 2017, 04:59 PM
What's better?

Goat biryani or chicken biryani.

Once, I tried egg biryani...didn't like it.

Imo the ultimate has got to be mutton biryani. FYI in many biryani houses in Bangladesh, half an egg comes as standard with your meal.

aklemalp
January 22, 2017, 05:05 PM
^^ the reason I brought up egg biryani was that I visited an Indian restaurant a few years ago and saw it on the menu...I chose it, and the rest is history.

Roy_1
January 23, 2017, 12:05 AM
I personally find Hyderabadi Biryani overrated, I like Luckhowi/Awadhi Biryani, After UP and Delhi the finest Biryani I had in Kolkata, there is also a pure south Indian variety of Biryani originated in Kerala called Thalassery Biryani though it tastes more like Pulao than Biryani

Shingara
January 23, 2017, 05:51 AM
SportingBD bhaiya,

Please treat/feed me biriyani. I will come visit you in London.
And Shingara bhaiya, treat me with Shingaras!

Kotha dilen to ?

Shingara
January 23, 2017, 06:00 AM
My Biriyani experiences :

-Tale of India, Westferry 7/10
-Chick and rice, Barking 5/10 but only £2 for a plateful of chicken biriyani!
-Zaza, Whitechapel 3/10
-Hayfields Masala, Whitechapel 1/10
-Chola Dosa biriyani 8/10
Closed down :( I loved this unique south Indian biriyani. Chicken biriyani came with a boiled egg, raitha, a properly roasted breadcrumbed chicken leg, a plethora of South Indian spices and cooked chicken breast pieces from an upturned bowl - all served on a steel plate.

Shingara
January 23, 2017, 10:22 AM
Please see

http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/showthread.php?p=1962855#post1962855

SportingBD
January 23, 2017, 10:39 AM
My Biriyani experiences :

-Tale of India, Westferry 7/10
-Chick and rice, Barking 5/10 but only £2 for a plateful of chicken biriyani!
-Zaza, Whitechapel 3/10
-Hayfields Masala, Whitechapel 1/10
-Chola Dosa biriyani 8/10
Closed down :( I loved this unique south Indian biriyani. Chicken biriyani came with a boiled egg, raitha, a properly roasted breadcrumbed chicken leg, a plethora of South Indian spices and cooked chicken breast pieces from an upturned bowl - all served on a steel plate.

Westferry is 2min from my house with DLR! We seem to be local..East London? If you said 9 out of 10 I would definately run to Tale of India..

adamnsu
January 23, 2017, 12:03 PM
Show them pictures nah mon...

13 posts into the thread, and getting impatient and Hungry...:lol:

http://i63.tinypic.com/16lcm8h.jpg

This one is for aklemalp. Made it last minute on Sunday. I usually make it a bit more presentable and tastier if given a bit more time :D

Its a mutton biryani btw.

aklemalp
January 23, 2017, 12:35 PM
http://i63.tinypic.com/16lcm8h.jpg

This one is for aklemalp. Made it last minute on Sunday. I usually make it a bit more presentable and tastier if given a bit more time :D

Its a mutton biryani btw.

Thanks a lot dear adamnsu bhai :)

I am salivating as I'm typing hehe..
Two halves of potatoes in there I see...nevertheless, good attempt !

Just curious, what range on the Scoville scale does this fall into?

Thanks again:)

adamnsu
January 23, 2017, 12:59 PM
Thanks a lot dear adamnsu bhai :)

I am salivating as I'm typing hehe..
Two halves of potatoes in there I see...nevertheless, good attempt !

Just curious, what range on the Scoville scale does this fall into?

Thanks again:)

No worries mate.

This batch had a lot of potatoes and I add them right at the end to cook with the biryani and end up at the top. So first serving batch contains majority of the potato.

I had to tone down on the heat as the guests can't handle hot food. My ideal biryani I put green chillis. The heat is pleasant especially during the winter. I also spread fried onion on top.

I serve this normally with home made raita, Bangladeshi salad and mango pickles.

iDumb
January 23, 2017, 02:58 PM
Adam nsu Bhai to bhaloi cook koren...impressed ... just don't let ur wife know u can cook .... b#### be making u work ...

SportingBD
January 23, 2017, 05:01 PM
don't hold me accountable for any excessive weight gained...

after viewing this thread...

adamnsu
January 24, 2017, 03:04 AM
Adam nsu Bhai to bhaloi cook koren...impressed ... just don't let ur wife know u can cook .... b#### be making u work ...

Thanks for the compliment, I try my best . Allhamdullilah my wife and I share responsibilities at home and when it comes to cooking we share the burden.

I am sorry you or some male memeber in your family has had to suffer for being a good cook.

iDumb
January 24, 2017, 09:00 AM
I am sorry you or some male memeber in your family has had to suffer for being a good cook.

I think you are making a lot of assumptions ..

But good for you .... Don't get too serious about some one liners .....

adamnsu
January 24, 2017, 09:35 AM
I think you are making a lot of assumptions ..

But good for you .... Don't get too serious about some one liners .....

Don't use expressions about other people's family members like that. It might be acceptable to you, but I am kind of old school when it comes to such things.

How would you feel if someone used the same expression about your Mother?

Thankfully I don't associate in real life with people who use such vulgar and sexist one liners! So excuse me for getting serious.

iDumb
January 24, 2017, 10:03 AM
Thankfully I don't associate in real life with people who use such vulgar and sexist one liners! So excuse me for getting serious.

Very good . I think you have a temper problem . The key is in context ...

And I dint even know u were married lol...my posts are reflection of my problem than yours ...

I should just not post at all anymore .... everyone gets offended for no reason ...

aklemalp
January 24, 2017, 11:06 AM
This biryani thread just got a whole lot spicier...

What do you use to qwell down the heat from the biryani?

Roy_1
January 24, 2017, 11:17 AM
This biryani thread just got a whole lot spicier...

What do you use to qwell down the heat from the biryani?

We eat it, simple :D

aklemalp
January 24, 2017, 11:41 AM
We eat it, simple :D

Ouch!!!:floor::floor:

aklemalp
January 24, 2017, 01:28 PM
Let's calm down and get back on topic, please...

We are here for Biryani:)

Lamb Biryani at a restaurant near me:

http://i66.tinypic.com/116j9yx.jpg

iDumb
January 24, 2017, 01:57 PM
Adamnsu is a long time poster and one of my favorite.... His biriyani just looked really good and If I had that talent my spouse would make me cook every day...

that is all I am saying....

No disrespect meant adam bhai... Give us the recipe ...

adamnsu
January 24, 2017, 01:57 PM
This Idumb guy use to be known as Orpheus (his username) back in the day! He was so judgemental of people! Some members back then used to call him the Judge of BC! He is still doing the same! I can pull out all his post since the orphy day and show you guys just how and what level of bigotry expert he is... and trust me he is one of the best to get people banned.. brother Adamsu don't react in a bad way.. becuase that's exactly what he wants.. his the master at that.. he comes to a thread and changes the mood of it..he does what his best at.. his untouchables and yes I am jealous that I don't have that quality...he has another friend here at BC! Soon he might join the party.. I am just letting you know from my experience, just put them on ignore list.

Thanks bro. Good to see someone see my point of view and actually support me. I have nothing personal against him and like some of his comments but there are certain taboos.

But like you have rightfully pointed out, I had to react that way. But if you have noticed when I refernced in my past comment how he would feel if someone called his Mother a female dog, he didn't respond. So think he has some shame. Hope he doesn't say such things in real life.

adamnsu
January 24, 2017, 02:00 PM
Adamnsu is a long time poster and one of my favorite.... His biriyani just looked really good and If I had that talent my spouse would make me cook every day...

that is all I am saying....

No disrespect meant adam bhai... Give us the recipe ...

Thanks for the clarification but please don't do this again.

If you are serious let me know then I will provide my recipe. Its quite easy to make.

You will need Shaan Biryani Maasla.

SportingBD
January 24, 2017, 02:09 PM
Let's calm down and get back on topic, please...

We are here for Biryani:)

Lamb Biryani at a restaurant near me:

http://i66.tinypic.com/116j9yx.jpg

Why do they add eggs to Biryani? has it got any special flavour?

last Christmas went to this restaurant with work colleagues.. asked for a chicken Biryani...

In the top of the Biryani.. they put a egg... just don't like the mixture of eggs..

bujhee kom
January 24, 2017, 02:11 PM
Yes, Adam NSU bhaiya, you are indeed a good cook...but shudhu nijey khelei cholbey naa...amader-o khawatey hobey...

Also, do not cook for your Sasuri (mother in-law)...stand up to her this year, remember? Don't let her bully you.

bujhee kom
January 24, 2017, 02:13 PM
Yes, I will also take this opportunity to use this thread and name/list all the NYC biriyani restaurants where I ate and had massive stomach upset...

Please brothers and apus, do not got go eat at these joints...The proof is in me!
I just had mutton biriyani at this place on 39th street two hours ago and I had to run to the restroom 4 times already!

bujhee kom
January 24, 2017, 02:14 PM
Lol.. everyone gonna feed you Biryani hehe..
not sure how to respond to the request...
PM me if you come to London, and InshaAllah if I'm available for sure.

Kotha dilen to ?

Yes SportingBD and Shingara bhaiyas! Insh Allah very soon in a month or two!

aklemalp
January 24, 2017, 02:23 PM
Why do they add eggs to Biryani? has it got any special flavour?

last Christmas went to this restaurant with work colleagues.. asked for a chicken Biryani...

In the top of the Biryani.. they put a egg... just don't like the mixture of eggs..

I have no idea. Probably just a finishing touch to it.

The egg just tasted like it was an egg minus any of the biryani flavors.

SportingBD
January 24, 2017, 02:34 PM
Please see

http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/showthread.php?p=1962855#post1962855

Good idea. Shingara bhia is proposing a London Biriyani meetup

Not sure all the BC members living in UK will view that thread..(less people visit that section)

The India test series would be a good time....

I'm only turning up. If enough people from UK/London coming...otherwise nope..

adamnsu
January 24, 2017, 02:44 PM
I have no idea. Probably just a finishing touch to it.

The egg just tasted like it was an egg minus any of the biryani flavors.

The egg is just boiled. Its customary in Bangladesh in most places. I enjoy the egg, but I don't mind if its not there. The best thing with a biryani is borhani which a salty sweet spiced yoghurt drink. Its a better alternate to the Indian lassi.

aklemalp
January 24, 2017, 03:00 PM
The egg is just boiled. Its customary in Bangladesh in most places. I enjoy the egg, but I don't mind if its not there. The best thing with a biryani is borhani which a salty sweet spiced yoghurt drink. Its a better alternate to the Indian lassi.

Ohh that's how eggs and biryani are related lol...
Is this borhani a condiment that can be layered over the biryani?
Salty sweet to me is something like buttermilk or caramel:)...

I'll Google it to see for myself:up:

Tigers_eye
January 24, 2017, 03:14 PM
Yes SportingBD and Shingara bhaiyas! Insh Allah very soon in a month or two!Ei Fazil,
Ami tho parcel ekhono pai nai. Jotthoshob. Hmmm!!! Next time tracking number agey diba.

Tigers_eye
January 24, 2017, 03:28 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kn9557UWUaU

adamnsu
January 24, 2017, 03:55 PM
Ohh that's how eggs and biryani are related lol...
Is this borhani a condiment that can be layered over the biryani?
Salty sweet to me is something like buttermilk or caramel:)...

I'll Google it to see for myself:up:

You have borhani in a glass. Its more spicy and salty with a tinge of sweetness. It definitely is a condiment and enriches the whole biryani experience. Its almost a must in weddings even if a plilaf is served as the main course.

There is special borhani maasala that you can get these days. I heard some place sell bottled borhani.

There is a alternatives that you can try at home just to give you an idea.

Take some soft salty yoghurt and add some water to make it runny but not too watery. Add a tea spoon of ground jeera, half tea spoon of chilli powder and a small pinch of salt and sugar. Mix well. This is not really borhani but a distant alternative.

aklemalp
January 24, 2017, 05:10 PM
You have borhani in a glass. Its more spicy and salty with a tinge of sweetness. It definitely is a condiment and enriches the whole biryani experience. Its almost a must in weddings even if a plilaf is served as the main course.

There is special borhani maasala that you can get these days. I heard some place sell bottled borhani.

There is a alternatives that you can try at home just to give you an idea.

Take some soft salty yoghurt and add some water to make it runny but not too watery. Add a tea spoon of ground jeera, half tea spoon of chilli powder and a small pinch of salt and sugar. Mix well. This is not really borhani but a distant alternative.

This reminds me of something similar I had as a condiment for my Biryani at a Pakistan restaurant. I asked the owner what it is and he said that it was an Afghan kind sauce...didn't give me the name...

I loved it, lathering it on my biryani and walloping it down in record time...washed it down with some hard apple cider...man, that was delicious.

So maybe that's why it's connected to the pilaf also...central Asia origins

**it must be noted that I had the biryani at my house with that hard apple cider**

Jadukor
January 24, 2017, 09:46 PM
That adamnsu biriyani looked really good. Khida legey gelo.

Rifat
January 24, 2017, 09:53 PM
This reminds me of something similar I had as a condiment for my Biryani at a Pakistan restaurant. I asked the owner what it is and he said that it was an Afghan kind sauce...didn't give me the name...

I loved it, lathering it on my biryani and walloping it down in record time...washed it down with some hard apple cider...man, that was delicious.

So maybe that's why it's connected to the pilaf also...central Asia origins

**it must be noted that I had the biryani at my house with that hard apple cider**

i think what you are talking about is raita. borhani is made differently but the taste of them is quite similar. my guess would be raita is missing a special kind of salt(In Bangla, we call it "Bit lobon", not sure about the english term) and the proportion of yoghurt is different. Note: Bengali Biriyani in general does not use raita

wtachetna
January 25, 2017, 03:36 AM
I bet everybody will have watery mouth after seeing this biryani which I am going to have tonight.

https://image.rewardme.in/Assets/Modules/Editorial/Recipe/Images/authentic-eid-al-fitr-chicken-biryani-2-size-3.jpg

Neel Here
January 25, 2017, 04:28 AM
i think what you are talking about is raita. borhani is made differently but the taste of them is quite similar. my guess would be raita is missing a special kind of salt(In Bangla, we call it "Bit lobon", not sure about the english term) and the proportion of yoghurt is different. Note: Bengali Biriyani in general does not use raita

Rifat, bit lobon/bit nun is called black salt/kala namak in north India and I guess pak as well. it is used in raita.

Jadukor
January 25, 2017, 05:29 AM
Any good Biriyani places in San Francisco? or Santa Barbara?

adamnsu
January 25, 2017, 07:03 AM
That adamnsu biriyani looked really good. Khida legey gelo.

Thanks for the compliment. :up: Once I was cooking at my friends house when I was staying in London for the first time. Next day the his neighbour knocked and asked for the recpie the next day

One World
January 25, 2017, 09:48 AM
My wife planned to cook kachchi last night but ended up with Polau and Goat Rejala - tasted heavenly.

aklemalp
January 25, 2017, 09:58 AM
My wife planned to cook kachchi last night but ended up with Polau and Goat Rejala - tasted heavenly.

Comfort food at its best?

That's what it does to the mind...creates a heavenly feeling/aura:):up:

Mas_UK25
January 25, 2017, 12:56 PM
I bet everybody will have watery mouth after seeing this biryani which I am going to have tonight.

https://image.rewardme.in/Assets/Modules/Editorial/Recipe/Images/authentic-eid-al-fitr-chicken-biryani-2-size-3.jpg

Looks nice. But mouth isn't watery as much anymore, had so many kind of bored it. What's this one called?.

Mas_UK25
January 25, 2017, 12:58 PM
Do people here prefer biryani alone or add curry to it?
I can eat it dry, need a chicken bhuna, curry. Last time had Biryani, had made a peshawri chicken karahi with it tasted awesome!

Tigers_eye
January 25, 2017, 01:16 PM
Kacchi = Kacha = Raw.

Kacchi biriyani is not raw biriyani but has the color of raw (meat) and tender as mouth melting.

Key is to marinate the meat before hand for at least 20 minutes, cooking in slow burner, and not stirring at all while cooking. Goat meat pieces must be large. See the Youtube video I posted before. They half cook the rice as well before pouring it in the meat pan and sealing it.

adamnsu
January 25, 2017, 01:19 PM
Kacchi = Kacha = Raw.

Kacchi biriyani is not raw biriyani but has the color of raw (meat) and tender as mouth melting.

Key is to marinate the meat before hand for at least 20 minutes, cooking in slow burner, and not stirring at all while cooking. Goat meat pieces must be large. See the Youtube video I posted before. They half cook the rice as well before pouring it in the meat pan and sealing it.

Ratio of meat to rice is 2:1

aklemalp
January 25, 2017, 01:19 PM
Do people here prefer biryani alone or add curry to it?
I can eat it dry, need a chicken bhuna, curry. Last time had Biryani, had made a peshawri chicken karahi with it tasted awesome!

I do prefer adding curry. Sometimes I would add mango chutney.

aklemalp
January 26, 2017, 03:26 PM
Hmm, this Biryani thread is awfully quiet...like everyone had enough Biryani for their Dinner in the past 24 hours...hehe...

Belly full, eh?

aklemalp
January 26, 2017, 03:28 PM
Ratio of meat to rice is 2:1

To be honest, by experience...I prefer more rice to my meat ratio.

3:1, 4:1.

I've been a rice lover all my life, hence my bias..:D

adamnsu
January 26, 2017, 03:57 PM
To be honest, by experience...I prefer more rice to my meat ratio.

3:1, 4:1.

I've been a rice lover all my life, hence my bias..:D

Traditionally kachi (mutton) biryani is more meat than rice. But in most restaurants to keep costs down the quantity of rice is either at par or more than the meat.

Restaurant owners will love customers like you!

aklemalp
January 26, 2017, 04:03 PM
Traditional kachi (mutton) biryani is more meat than rice. But in most restaurants to keep costs down the quantity of rice is either at par or more than the meat.

Restaurant owners will love customers like you!

Fair point. Can't deal with too much of the meat.

About the restaurant owners, when I go to buy myself Biryani I always asked them to put more rice and green chilies(If there are any on it).

It's very West Indian of me...Love of rice...our national dish is cook-up rice(Check my Foods, Cuisines, Dishes thread)...And you can't have Jerk chicken with the peas and rice...

adamnsu
January 26, 2017, 04:38 PM
Fair point. Can't deal with too much of the meat.

About the restaurant owners, when I go to buy myself Biryani I always asked them to put more rice and green chilies(If there are any on it).

It's very West Indian of me...Love of rice...our national dish is cook-up rice(Check my Foods, Cuisines, Dishes thread)...And you can't have Jerk chicken with the peas and rice...

If your Guyanese with ethnic Indian roots, you must defo enjoy a buss up shut

Rifat
January 26, 2017, 04:52 PM
I also prefer rice to meat ratio to be around 2:1 or 1.5 to 1 at best

aklemalp
January 26, 2017, 07:13 PM
Is it true that there are 365 different varieties of Biryani?
Dum, Khachi, etc...

adamnsu
January 30, 2017, 04:22 AM
Last weekend cooked for some family members who came by.

This was a better batch the one I cooked before as it had more ghee and the quality of meat was better.

Aklemalp: less potatoes this time http://banglacricket.com/alochona/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

http://i65.tinypic.com/b7aq1i.jpg

adamnsu
January 30, 2017, 04:23 AM
Is it true that there are 365 different varieties of Biryani?
Dum, Khachi, etc...

Sounds like the slogan for Antigua beaches: 1 for each day of the year

aklemalp
January 30, 2017, 09:52 AM
Last weekend cooked for some family members who came by.

This was a better batch the one I cooked before as it had more ghee and the quality of meat was better.

Aklemalp: less potatoes this time http://banglacricket.com/alochona/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

http://i65.tinypic.com/b7aq1i.jpg

Ah yes-- I've noticed less of the potato pieces:) GOOD.
Was this fresher meat?
And what kind of meat is this? From what animal?

This one looks better than the previous one...And what kind of reaction you got from the family members....they loved it right?:)

adamnsu
January 30, 2017, 10:02 AM
Ah yes-- I've noticed less of the potato pieces:) GOOD.
Was this fresher meat?
And what kind of meat is this? From what animal?

This one looks better than the previous one...And what kind of reaction you got from the family members....they loved it right?:)

Both the time the meat was fresh. This was just a better quality as the cut of meat was chosen by us. Previously the butcher had already closed his machine for the day, I had to buy the already mixed cuts of meat he had left.

The meat is mutton and it was the leg piece.

Yes like I was saying, this did look and taste better as the meat was better quality and generous amount of ghee was used.

Not answering the last question: I will let you make up your own mind what you think the response was :D

I also tried to make tuna fish cakes for the first time. Boy were they well recieved .

adamnsu
January 30, 2017, 10:05 AM
Also this was much hotter as I added chilli flakes, more chilli powder and fresh green chillis.

The heat is very plesant during the winter months

aklemalp
January 30, 2017, 11:49 AM
Both the time the meat was fresh. This was just a better quality as the cut of meat was chosen by us. Previously the butcher had already closed his machine for the day, I had to buy the already mixed cuts of meat he had left.

The meat is mutton and it was the leg piece.

Yes like I was saying, this did look and taste better as the meat was better quality and generous amount of ghee was used.

Not answering the last question: I will let you make up your own mind what you think the response was :D

I also tried to make tuna fish cakes for the first time. Boy were they well recieved .

Bro, you're like an artist!
If I ever visit your country, I would love to share a meal with you and your family ..of course I will help in the kitchen. :)

aklemalp
January 30, 2017, 01:17 PM
Sounds like the slogan for Antigua beaches: 1 for each day of the year

I want to know how true is this. I recently watched an Indian food documentary on Netflix-- and in one of the episodes, a food historian mentioned the '365 types of biryani'. This prompted me to bring up this question in this very aptly titled thread.

OFF-TOPIC: There is a river in my beloved home country that has 365 islands in it-- the mighty Essequibo river.

And, of course, if you’re a cricket fan, and lucky enough to visit Guyana during a Test or one-day international series, you’ll be sure to head over to Bourda, home of the Georgetown Cricket Club, one of the finest cricket grounds in the West Indies.
hen you’ve sampled Georgetown’s urban charms and are ready for the wilder side of Guyana, you can head in two directions. To the north west, the road goes through rice paddies and small villages to Parika, on the east bank of the Essequibo. The river, 21 miles across at its mouth (and reputed to contain 365 islands), is unbridged, and to continue you must take the ferry to the aptly named Adventure, on the western bank.

Read the original article here: Guyana: the Unexpected Country - Caribbean Beat Magazine - Caribbean Beat Magazine http://caribbean-beat.com/issue-62/unexpected-country#ixzz4XGnvTzJl

Mas_UK25
January 30, 2017, 01:35 PM
I was going to be on a good diet this year.This making me hungry for not so good healthy diet, to eat too much.

adamnsu
January 30, 2017, 01:41 PM
Bro, you're like an artist!
If I ever visit your country, I would love to share a meal with you and your family ..of course I will help in the kitchen. :)

Thanks for the compliment but too high praise. I am no artist, but try to make things to my best ability.

The 365 biryani is a catch phrase like the slogan Antigua has. I think the term biryani is a sub continent word. But there are loads of variations. Not sure of number

aklemalp
January 30, 2017, 02:51 PM
Thanks for the compliment but too high praise. I am no artist, but try to make things to my best ability.

The 365 biryani is a catch phrase like the slogan Antigua has. I think the term biryani is a sub continent word. But there are loads of variations. Not sure of number

It's always good to know of another person with the same passion as I am about food in general.

I think the guy in the documentary was probably referencing the difference in preparation of the Biryani.

adamnsu
January 30, 2017, 03:00 PM
It's always good to know of another person with the same passion as I am about food in general.

I think the guy in the documentary was probably referencing the difference in preparation of the Biryani.

I am passionate about Bangladeshi food , more than anything else. I got this from growing up with a friend who is a staunch fan of Bangladeshi cuisine. Staying with him I have been able to dine with chef's whose fore fathers have cooked for royalty to eating at a open shack beside a river.

Types of biryani will differ from region which is why you get different methods and the type of meat used.

aklemalp
January 30, 2017, 03:06 PM
I am passionate about Bangladeshi food , more than anything else. I got this from growing up with a friend who is a staunch fan of Bangladeshi cuisine. Staying with him I have been able to dine with chef's whose fore fathers have cooked for royalty to eating at a open shack beside a river.

Types of biryani will differ from region which is why you get different methods and the type of meat used.

That's very good. Very interesting. Getting a connection to royal cooks. Damn:applause:

Keep doing what you're doing bro..and be sure to pass it down to your children.

I got that the types of biryani differs.

I've tried Pakistani, Indian...I don't know what region they came from...Maybe I've tried the Hyderabadi biryani and not aware of it.

Zeeshan
January 31, 2017, 03:12 PM
I wonder if Biryani is kinda getting blase and overrated.

Ordered up a hundred Rosés, need a Benz like blasé, blasé / I'm just, whipping Maserati (Skurr, skurr, skurr, skurr) / Blasé, blasé / Blasé, blasé, blasé, blasé

I mean...it is like cricket games. ODI, T20, Test...everyday there is some frikkin game and it makes it a chore to watch it. I prefer back in the days of 90s where games were few and we had to LOOK FORWARD to it. Too many formats, too many teams... too many FTP is killing. This is why I don't watch it.

Ordered up a hundred Rosés, need a Benz like blasé, blasé / I'm just, whipping Maserati (Skurr, skurr, skurr, skurr) / Blasé, blasé / Blasé, blasé, blasé, blasé

aklemalp
January 31, 2017, 10:12 PM
I watched a cooking video on Youtube this morning where an authentic Hyderabadi biryani was prepared...
THe whole spices he actually put them into the blender and turn them into powder...and then apply to the chicken for marination...

THe way he cooked he basmati rice was superb...soaked in water for 30 minutes, then added it to boiling water that was seasoned with oil and salt....

The chicken was cooked for 15 minutes in the vessel(forgot the name)...he was very careful with the rice....waiting for 70% done-- then he transferred to the vessel...layering like a surgeon, until the 90% done rice was the last layer added...topped it off with fried onions and rosewater...and sealed it with the dough...dum. Further cooking for another 20 minutes...

Man, when that thing was finish...looked so good, the meat was almost falling off the bone.

I'll have to look for the link for the video and embed here soon.:)

Rifat
February 1, 2017, 09:42 AM
Biriyani Never gets old, unless you have it more than 3/4 times a week.

aklemalp
February 1, 2017, 12:06 PM
Biriyani Never gets old, unless you have it more than 3/4 times a week.

This is a pretty good sub-topic.

How frequently should biryani be consumed?

aklemalp
February 6, 2017, 03:40 PM
So are we taking a hiatus from consuming biryani?

Thread is stagnant.

Or too much biryani was consumed at one sitting?

Fazal
February 7, 2017, 11:22 AM
Anybody tried kachhi biriani in pressure cooker?

One World
February 8, 2017, 10:22 AM
After biriyani you definitely need a glass of borhani and shahi jorda :D

aklemalp
May 7, 2017, 01:32 PM
Okay time to bring back this thread to the opening page:

http://i66.tinypic.com/2a5bzmh.jpg

aklemalp
May 7, 2017, 04:02 PM
Okay time to bring back this thread to the opening page:

http://i66.tinypic.com/2a5bzmh.jpg

Okay, you can ask two fellow members of BC to finish this....

And go....

Rifat
May 7, 2017, 08:05 PM
Okay, you can ask two fellow members of BC to finish this....

And go....

Roman, Mufi myself and iDumb...been there done dat :)

iDumb
May 7, 2017, 10:02 PM
Roman, Mufi myself and iDumb...been there done dat :)

this biriyani will be done in 4 mintues with this group will not need 15.. add ajfar to the list... and you will see ppl fighting for food.

SportingBD
June 24, 2017, 07:54 AM
How many plate of Biryani did you have during EID?

aklemalp
June 24, 2017, 08:03 AM
I recently had a plate of biryani. ..all vegetables. ..with mango pickles...

Hmmm, mm...the best I've had in a long time :)

Rifat
June 30, 2017, 02:55 PM
I recently had a plate of biryani. ..all vegetables. ..with mango pickles...

Hmmm, mm...the best I've had in a long time :)

restaurant name? or homemade?

aklemalp
June 30, 2017, 03:04 PM
restaurant name? or homemade?

Local Pakistani grocery store/restaurant

Tigers_eye
June 30, 2017, 03:27 PM
I am not a fan of Pakistani Biriyani. They put too much spice for no reason.

Kacchi is the actual delicious beriyani.

aklemalp
June 30, 2017, 04:22 PM
I am not a fan of Pakistani Biriyani. They put too much spice for no reason.

Kacchi is the actual delicious beriyani.

This particular biryani had little spice...the rice had a nice flavor to it..

It was a delight :)

aklemalp
October 23, 2017, 08:50 PM
Did we lost track of biryani or wah?

Submit your pix :D

Shingara
October 24, 2017, 07:26 AM
Hyderabadi biriyani - sucks
Syleti biriyani - ok
South Indian biriyani - rocks!

DinRaat.
October 24, 2017, 07:27 AM
Syleti biriyani - ok

Bias much?

ReZ_1
October 24, 2017, 07:45 AM
Syleti biriyani - ok

Ghorer biriyani is the Best :up:

adamnsu
October 24, 2017, 08:23 AM
For me the ultimate biryani is a kachi biryani (from certain places) not only because I am Bangladeshi, but the complexity of making it and the delightful taste of the end product. Even the aloo has to be soft and the color of a bright mango. And no Kachi is complete without borhani.

Rick Stein did a show on kassi biryani said all other biryanis in the world will be judged by this. Even Matt Preston showered praises of this particular biryani.

In UK in wedding these days you get "kachi" biryani but its more of a mutton biryani with over cooked meat. I feel its quite disrespectful to the dish and guests when they do this.

Shingara
October 24, 2017, 08:47 AM
For me the ultimate biryani is a kachi biryani (from certain places) not only because I am Bangladeshi, but the complexity of making it and the delightful taste of the end product. Even the aloo has to be soft and the color of a bright mango. And no Kachi is complete without borhani.

Rick Stein did a show on kassi biryani said all other biryanis in the world will be judged by this. Even Matt Preston showered praises of this particular biryani.

In UK in wedding these days you get "kachi" biryani but its more of a mutton biryani with over cooked meat. I feel its quite disrespectful to the dish and guests when they do this.

Dhaka biriyani and Kolapata have them

Shingara
October 24, 2017, 08:47 AM
Bias much?

The biriyani you get in the Indian aka Bangaldeshi aka Syleti restuarants.

adamnsu
October 24, 2017, 09:43 AM
Dhaka biriyani and Kolapata have them

Kolpata: ate their once and I have avoided it since then as the food wasnt very good.

Dhaka Biryani does do a Kachi but nothing like the one you have from Bangladesh as the meat alone doesnt look red enough, but despite this its amazing Biryani and amazing value for money! You get two sides as well for £5.

But I think you have pointed out a right point that Sylhetis dont know how to cook a proper biryani let alont kachi. I have been to many weddings in Sylhet and they came across of a more pilau region. They are more well known for their shadkhora which in its own right is an amazing dish.

Yankees
October 24, 2017, 06:35 PM
Syleti biriyani - ok

How are they different?

aklemalp
November 26, 2017, 12:09 AM
A Biryani Thread wouldn't be complete without a Biryani Anthem:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/obMviWQTTtY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Enjoy:)

And thank you:)

aklemalp
November 26, 2017, 05:04 PM
Did anyone check out the anthem yet?

Hoping to get some feedback and reaction :)

Jadukor
November 29, 2017, 11:49 PM
Had Biriyani recently in Auckland from this restaurant called Paradise. Really good! Beats the biriyani places in Bangkok comfortably.

Shubho
November 30, 2017, 09:53 AM
Hate the whole concept of biriyani.

If I want to mix meat and pulao rice, I can do that myself, thank you very much. Don't need anyone to pre-mix it for me. Ppl always get the ratio of rice to meat wrong.

Zeeshan
November 30, 2017, 10:05 AM
LOL Shots fired ^^^^

aklemalp
November 30, 2017, 11:49 AM
Just what we need: The Biryani Wars

Shingara
December 6, 2017, 05:03 PM
Did anyone check out the anthem yet?

Hoping to get some feedback and reaction :)

I liked it and will be sharing on whatsapp

aklemalp
December 6, 2017, 06:41 PM
^^it's cheesy but gets the idea across

DinRaat.
December 6, 2017, 08:02 PM
Biryani is overrated, just rice with masala and meat.

Butter Chicken is the real deal :)

aklemalp
December 7, 2017, 12:11 AM
Biryani is overrated, just rice with masala and meat.

Butter Chicken is the real deal :)

Waht kinda butter? Clarified? Margarine? Non-fat? "I can't believe it's not butter"? Hand-churned butter?