PDA

View Full Version : What Car Should I get

DinRaat.
February 14, 2017, 05:49 AM
Deciding on Buying a Car in Australia, can spend anything from 40k to 35k, preferably luxury brand..... Anyone have any experience, with a used 2015-2016 Mercedes C200 series, Or have any general information on the reliability of German made cars, I heard that its not great!

Interested in the Lexus IS series as well found a used 2016 model with just 10000 KMs

adamnsu
February 14, 2017, 09:04 AM
Depends on which model/mileage you are looking at to buy. You cant just put all German made cars under one umbrella.

From my experience, owning a car also has an element of luck. 2 people I know bought the same model VW, but one had judder issues while the others didnt.

Personally I dont like the designs of the C class for the last 5 years. Especially the ones where they had the 4 spoke steering wheel. Their dash board and interior in the 15/16 model is quite good looking.

The BMW 3 series is a great car and good value for money for the same competiting price range. their exterior designs are better. However I hate the large steering wheels which they have in their standard models and their dash board is even worse as its so simple. Their navigation system is the best.

Audi A4 is the worst value for money among the 3 as they can be quite expensive and you get less for your money. The interior is normally the best out of the 3.

With all 3 cars, maintenance can be quite high. But then again it all depends on luck.

Personally I wouldnt go for a Lexus IS as it doesnt look that nice and its not as fun to drive as a BWW/Merc, and the front grill doesnt take my fancy.

I would suggest you look at the reviews on the internet before you buy.

mufi_02
February 14, 2017, 10:23 AM
Toyota Corolla. Decent car with a great value. Will last you a lifetime!

Tigers_eye
February 14, 2017, 10:28 AM
Don't listen to Mufi. He gives bad advice. Me on the other hand....

Kia mini vaan. You will thank me later. I mean down the road. I mean years from now when you will produce babies day and night (din ar raat). Invest now. You will still have some change to spare. May be go for an ice-cream night out in 2024 when the rug-rats grow a little.

mufi_02
February 14, 2017, 10:47 AM
Don't listen to TE bhai. He gives only shangsharik advice.

Do not have kids. Do not get married. Enjoy your single life. Drive around in Toyota Corolla and you will impress plenty of ladies.

Tigers_eye
February 14, 2017, 11:28 AM
... Drive around in Toyota Corolla and you will impress plenty of ladies.:lol::floor::goal:

I rest my case.

The only Toyota would let you score (Beavis and Butthead) is Supra.

adamnsu
February 14, 2017, 12:02 PM
One tip when you take a test drive if you can: see how the car handles a steep incile going upwards. Stop and turn engine off at the middle of the incline. Start the car again.

G-man
February 14, 2017, 06:22 PM
get a toyota/mitsubishi/honda..you maintain these cars properly, they are bullet proof, will last a lifetime.

european cars will suck the life out of you for as long as you have it in terms of maintenance and upkeep.

if you're going to buy european, make sure you sus out of their manufacturing centres in aust, ease of parts replacement and servicing.

iDumb
February 14, 2017, 07:04 PM
I never understood why ppl want you to buy cars that would last lifetime ... I mean do you guys like driving old beat up cars ? ..I think you car should change with a cars major redesign schedule ...

I think it's every 5 years ...

Why would I want to drive a car for 20 years ? That's horrible ... I don't want to drive my current car when I am 50 ....

I think one should change cars every 5 years ...

NoName
February 15, 2017, 02:58 AM
Audis/BMW/Mercedes for 40k?!?!

adamnsu
February 15, 2017, 03:05 AM
I never understood why ppl want you to buy cars that would last lifetime ... I mean do you guys like driving old beat up cars ? ..I think you car should change with a cars major redesign schedule ...

I think it's every 5 years ...

Why would I want to drive a car for 20 years ? That's horrible ... I don't want to drive my current car when I am 50 ....

I think one should change cars every 5 years ...

It would be ideal if one can change car after 5 years: but that means you either have to be rich or the model bought was already old and or cheap.

Also the longer you keep a car the more work you need to do on it and some start leeching more fuel oil.

At the end of the day it all depends on ones circumstances though.

DinRaat.
February 15, 2017, 04:24 AM
Audis/BMW/Mercedes for 40k?!?!

Obv Used looking at the 2014-2015 Range though

DinRaat.
February 15, 2017, 04:29 AM
It would be ideal if one can change car after 5 years: but that means you either have to be rich or the model bought was already old and or cheap.

Also the longer you keep a car the more work you need to do on it and some start leeching more fuel oil.

At the end of the day it all depends on ones circumstances though.

My Parents had their toyota corolla for almost 7 years, Being a bangladeshi, they were`nt stingy, but found it no use to upgrade until my brother was born, then we upgraded to a 2009 Toyota Kluger, Hopefully in 4 months time they will get the Lexus LX570, GLS or The Volvo XC90

Still deciding between these 3gl

iDumb
February 15, 2017, 04:32 AM

Maybe in Bangladesh. But I can tell you in United States any jodu modu can own luxury cars. And most here that drive luxury cars lease them - so they actually drive new cars every 3 years which is not a bad idea.

But if you don't care about luxury, look or anything and just want something to go from point A to point B and survive the longest... I agree getting those basic japanese cars Honda/toyota/ is a good idea. And I would buy them NEW and not old as many ppl suggests if you are planning to keep it forever.

These days they have car loans extended to 7 years.. it's ridiculous. Before standard used to be 3 years only. WIht this extended lending... a lot of the cars look affordable to buy but I think if you are willing to take extended loan like that - it's much better to lease (for luxury cars that is)....

DinRaat.
February 15, 2017, 04:37 AM
Maybe in Bangladesh. But I can tell you in United States any jodu modu can own luxury cars. And most here that drive luxury cars lease them - so they actually drive new cars every 3 years which is not a bad idea.

But if you don't care about luxury, look or anything and just want something to go from point A to point B and survive the longest... I agree getting those basic japanese cars Honda/toyota/ is a good idea. And I would buy them NEW and not old as many ppl suggests if you are planning to keep it forever.

These days they have car loans extended to 7 years.. it's ridiculous. Before standard used to be 3 years only. WIht this extended lending... a lot of the cars look affordable to buy but I think if you are willing to take extended loan like that - it's much better to lease (for luxury cars that is)....

Hows the Lexus then, Because mercedes has the features but is apparently very bad on reliability

DinRaat.
February 15, 2017, 04:41 AM
Lol This is a bargin
http://i68.tinypic.com/24mth1d.png

This is what Im looking to get

DinRaat.
February 15, 2017, 04:45 AM
https://carsales.li.csnstatic.com/carsales/car/dealer/358e80e9668ff232a407739aa2c26878.jpg?aspect=center ed&height=290&width=440

DinRaat.
February 15, 2017, 04:54 AM
This are the cars im thinking of getting all are between 38k to 40k

2014 C250
https://carsales.li.csnstatic.com/carsales/car/private/cp4979946203131048036.jpg?aspect=centered&height=290&width=440

https://carsales.li.csnstatic.com/carsales/car/private/cp5093869711487642397.jpg?aspect=centered&height=290&width=440https://carsales.li.csnstatic.com/carsales/car/dealer/5b262ff6e20ad4c0c127973b16ea5a1f.jpg?aspect=center ed&height=290&width=440

iDumb
February 15, 2017, 05:16 AM
Hows the Lexus then, Because mercedes has the features but is apparently very bad on reliability

I don't know. I am not into cars... I usually take other people's advice and buy cars. But between those lexus and mercedes models - I like mercedes better (both the look and the feel).

Unless I win the lottery or is able to generate income million+ a year, I am not gonna buy cars for "enjoyment" or "luxury".

To me the most important thing about a car is
1. Reliability (you get that when you buy new car regardless of model)
2. Safety (you get this if you upgrade frequently as new technology is being implemented so rapidly)
3. After I find it - I ask myself - is it worth the money?

I dont know how your parents go about making their decision.. maybe they go by what you want.

anyways... the 3 model that you listed.. i think you will be happy with any one of them.

adamnsu
February 15, 2017, 05:25 AM
My Parents had their toyota corolla for almost 7 years, Being a bangladeshi, they were`nt stingy, but found it no use to upgrade until my brother was born, then we upgraded to a 2009 Toyota Kluger, Hopefully in 4 months time they will get the Lexus LX570, GLS or The Volvo XC90

Still deciding between these 3gl

Fair enough but like I said it all depends on ones circumstances though. Buying a toyota corolla doesnt mean one is stingy :lol:

If its the new model GLS then you dont need to look at the others. Coincidently my shoshur is taking delivery of his this week. Merc in UK is now flooded with orders and increased the price by £2500-£3000. If it was me then I would have gone for the GLE.

adamnsu
February 15, 2017, 05:27 AM

If you already made your mind up, its not worth thinking of other cars IMO.

adamnsu
February 15, 2017, 05:29 AM

This is wrong and false information about Mercedes. You are generalising too much.

Its like saying all Muslims are terrorists :D

DinRaat.
February 15, 2017, 05:52 AM
Fair enough but like I said it all depends on ones circumstances though. Buying a toyota corolla doesnt mean one is stingy :lol:

If its the new model GLS then you dont need to look at the others. Coincidently my shoshur is taking delivery of his this week. Merc in UK is now flooded with orders and increased the price by £2500-£3000. If it was me then I would have gone for the GLE.

7 seats is a must for us

adamnsu
February 15, 2017, 05:54 AM
7 seats is a must for us

MashAllah

Tigers_eye
February 15, 2017, 04:13 PM
7 seats is a must for usAs I said earlier, Mini Van.

Prime
February 15, 2017, 04:38 PM
About 2 years ago I went through the process of finding the 'right' entry luxury car. Started out with the typical list of German, Japanese and American and eliminated models until I was left with 2. Some of the rejects:

Mercedes E350 - most solid feel but bad reviews for reliability
Audi A6 - Too expensive for what you get
Lexus IS 250 - small interior
Infinity G37x - most powerful and cheap, but poor build quality

Test drove a few sports cars that are a stretch for my budget - BMW M3, Audi S5, Mustang but I needed 4 doors and All Wheel drive.

Finalist were BMW 335XI and Cadillac CTS. Although BMW drove well, the turbo has faulty cooling issue and tend to break at around 40k miles. So Cadillac it was, not the most powerful or best handling but lowest cost of ownership and 2nd best looking (behind the Mercedes).

Zeeshan
February 15, 2017, 04:49 PM
I know getting Honda may be beneath you :-| but all we had were Hondas (four of them lol) and we never had any issues. Besides, nowadays Hondas can give luxury cars a run for their money. Best part is they are economical as far as saving gas goes (as well as ecumenical... reminds me of the fun time with a conservative repressed Catholic chick once...ahem I digress). Save some bucks, invest in something else and get and eat your cake too.

Did you know Honda mean rice paddy?

I hope you find Jesus and make the right decision. Please let us know which one you decide on. I have already subscribed to this thread with Instant email notification option.

adamnsu
February 15, 2017, 04:56 PM
During our olevels and a levels in Bangladesh, Honda was the brand to own.

One of our friends had a Honda Civic as his personal car. Another had a Honda legend which we took out on Eid only. My close mate got the Inspire which was amazing and a beautiful looking car. The Honda beat and Crx the first few coupe convertible's in the country.

But the brand in U.K. is not very popular.

Rifat
February 16, 2017, 10:22 AM
Can't go wrong with Nissan or Toyota. Nissan is the best in business. Honda not a bad option either. If you want a more affordable option try Ford.

Prime
February 16, 2017, 01:23 PM
Agree with Honda recommendation, I personally owned 6 Honda/Acura since getting my license. Honda's are the best cars for the money and make the best motors in the world.

DinRaat.
February 17, 2017, 01:19 AM
yea, thanks for the comments and suggestions, I bought the BMW 328i modern line f30
It was a 2015 model for 41K including on roads and all that stuff, had around about 16000KMs on it...
Will arrive in about a week from perth

http://st.motortrend.com/uploads/sites/5/2014/03/2012-BMW-328i-three-quarters-view-51.jpg

I just hope I dont wreck it like my old corolla

Zeeshan
February 17, 2017, 01:21 AM
Congratulations! The mileage is pretty high though. Anyway all the best.

DinRaat.
February 17, 2017, 01:43 AM
Congratulations! The mileage is pretty high though. Anyway all the best.

Thanks, mate I picked up 100k Warranty with it as well

iDumb
February 17, 2017, 09:43 AM
how old are you din raat and what do you do? From the posts I gather you still live with your parents? so must be young?

Dropping 41k for a car (assuming it's not 7 year loan : p) like that is impressive for a young person.

Post the real pics when the car arrives..

mufi_02
February 17, 2017, 11:33 AM
nice car indeed. yeah man what do you do?

aklemalp
February 17, 2017, 11:37 AM
That car is guaranteed to pull the chicks in as well ;)

Zeeshan
February 17, 2017, 11:50 AM
Din Raat I have two questions for you...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/YwTyOAsP4lI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DinRaat.
February 17, 2017, 07:11 PM
nice car indeed. yeah man what do you do?

Computer technician, studying Computer Science at UNSW.... My parents are in the property investing business in the western sydney area

DinRaat.
February 17, 2017, 07:14 PM
how old are you din raat and what do you do? From the posts I gather you still live with your parents? so must be young?

Dropping 41k for a car (assuming it's not 7 year loan : p) like that is impressive for a young person.

Post the real pics when the car arrives..

4 Year Loan

Repayments are around about 952 AUD per month

ReZ_1
February 18, 2017, 08:12 AM
4 Year Loan

Good luck with the car and drive safe..

mufi_02
February 18, 2017, 08:21 AM
Computer technician, studying Computer Science at UNSW.... My parents are in the property investing business in the western sydney area

Oh okay. Enjoy the car.

Tigers_eye
February 18, 2017, 10:21 AM
Congrats.That car is guaranteed to pull the chicks in as well ;)

:facepalm:

How many chicks he could pack in a minivan!!!!

Polapain kotha shune na.

aklemalp
February 18, 2017, 10:23 AM
Congrats.

Polapain kotha shune na.

But, it's not a minivan. It's a Bimma

iDumb
February 18, 2017, 10:36 AM
4 Year Loan

I wanted to be impressed by you. But either you are one of those that leach off of parents or not a smart kid with money...

Either way enjoy the car.

NOw had you told me - you dropped 40G cash for the car..then i would say.. that's a baller.

what the hell is a computer tech? Can't be anything fancy since u still studying.

why not lease?

iDumb
February 18, 2017, 10:42 AM
Congrats.

Polapain kotha shune na.

I agree... that's gonna be my next car. Minivan got bad rep.. they are expensive and are bad ***.

Upper trim level of Odyssey almost parallels most luxury cars... The cost goes to 45k+ USD. Price is the only thing that's holding me back... Once cost of a car starts to go beyond 35K - i tend to find excuses not to buy them..

also Volvo XC90 is a good car for large family if not into minivan but again too expensive... I can afford it if I am all dumb money but I am not :p

mufi_02
February 18, 2017, 11:12 AM
I can only dream of a BMW. I bought my first brand new car after 4 years of post college full time work. It was for a Honda Accord sport and I think came out close to $24k..

iDumb
February 18, 2017, 11:19 AM
I can only dream of a BMW. I bought my first brand new car after 4 years of post college full time work. It was for a Honda Accord sport and I think came out close to $24k..

that's cuz you are not a dumb *** and you don't leach of off parents. Kids showing off parents money are bottom of the bottom in my book...

but mufi bhai sylheti maiya paite hoile BMW lagbe... ekta idea dei.. Lease kore falao... tarpor balling korba....

R0ssei
March 29, 2017, 01:38 PM
For reliability, buy Japanese brands
For engineering/aesthetics, buy German brands
For best bang for buck, buy American brands

If you're damn rich, buy Italian/German/Swedish brands.

BTW, I hate Toyota/Honda and not a big fan of BMW/Merc either. :D

Fazal
March 29, 2017, 04:27 PM
>> best bang for buck, buy American brands

:-/

Rana Melb
March 29, 2017, 05:06 PM
Bugatti Veron! Half car half jet.

NoName
March 29, 2017, 05:37 PM
Just got my first car, it was the 2017 Honda Civic Coupe :D

R0ssei
March 29, 2017, 09:15 PM

Congrats!

How much you pay for insurance in GTA then? As far I know, Civic Coupe has a high premium as it's one of the most stolen cars, at least used to be.

adamnsu
March 30, 2017, 04:33 AM

Congrats and drive safe. Make illegal maneuvers on a PS4 or Xbox not in real life :D

DinRaat.
March 30, 2017, 05:36 AM

Sweet, we should go for a drag race, quartermile or half mile you choose

NoName
March 30, 2017, 05:57 PM
Congrats!

How much you pay for insurance in GTA then? As far I know, Civic Coupe has a high premium as it's one of the most stolen cars, at least used to be.

I'm a new grad, so at the moment living with parents so my insurance will be much cheaper since I'll be under my dads plan. I think my dad was telling me $21/220 for first three months then its $190 after, I'll still have to double-check.

@DinRaat
I live in Canada lol

@adamnsu
Don't worry I' not into that sort lol

BTW car hasn't been delivered yet, its April production apparently even though I leased it around end of February. IDK wtf they did during March.

aklemalp
March 30, 2017, 06:00 PM
I hope to visit Canada this summer. ..would love to take a drive in that civic.

Hope to meet both NoName and R0ssei

NoName
March 30, 2017, 09:44 PM
No worries! But if you're visiting Canada you may as well just skip the GTA area unless you want to see the CN Tower. Nothing interesting in Toronto