PDA

View Full Version : What`s The Point

DinRaat.
March 6, 2017, 05:04 AM
Sometimes do you guys ever wondered, Whats the point, i nearly finished my Bachelors of Computer Science, and after 12 Years in total of studying, I realised whats the point, I am probably gonna work a crummy 9-5 job, 365 days for the next 10-20 years being happy on a 100K salary or some **** like that, probably going to come home, sit on my ***, do nothing and pray to allah, that something interesting happens in my piss poor life. I really don't want to end up like a typical person, who has a 9-5pm Jobs, gets old and just dies.

Sometimes I ask myself, instead of wasting my childhood going to an academically rigorous school, and instead of focusing on my marks, I should of had some fun during my childhood,hung out with my friends.

I just hope that I don`t become like a average joe, or something, or that will be another life wasted......

Maybe I just become a start-up or something take the risky route

Your Thoughts....Do you guys ever ask yourself the same questions

BengaliPagol
March 6, 2017, 06:08 AM
end of the day we all desire more. People who might have less than me and you would do anything to be in our position. Millionaires who see Billionaires will always want to be Billionaires. If you want a change of lifestyle that is upto you. I know of people who gave up their rich life and went on to help organisations and do charity work because they wanted to give to the community. End of the day lets do as much good as possible and be happy with what you have even if its some life you think you wasted.

However i do hate it that Bangali parents have this play it safe card in terms of just study and get job and raise family and then after becoming religious and then die. It is like they do not want to get out of their comfort zone. They will laugh at the idea of pursuing a sporting career. The way they look down on people that don't do the most fanciest occupation is a disease and reflects their snobby personality.

The idea that they just think becoming a doctor or engineer is going to bring you money is so backward. The world is so different now that it is about entrepreneurial skills that can really make the huge bucks and also things such as utilising technology is such a huge weapon in the current day and age. You can pursue talents in other areas such as film making, youtubing etc. and become filthy rich. This is why Bangalis are so behind and it is also why we see no big name Bangali doing it big in the western media whether it be in journalism, print media, tv, because we are all playing the safe card.

Night_wolf
March 6, 2017, 06:30 AM
I always wonder the point behind some of your threads

iDumb
March 6, 2017, 07:56 AM
I always wonder the point behind some of your threads

I like his threads. But I can't figure out who this guy was previously before his current registration of "din raat". He has been here before I think.

Good thread.

iDumb
March 6, 2017, 08:20 AM
There is an universal truth in that if born into a privileged family, you are more than likely a guaranteed privileged life. Warren Buffet calls it winning the genetic lottery. Pursuing whatever your heart desires and experiencing all this world has to offer is not for everyone. You always hear the story of winners and never the failures..

The thought process of Bengali parents come from their upbringing. Up until very recently most Bangladeshis (educated) grew up very poor, in villages. In west, most Bangladeshis are first generation immigrants. When you put these facts together - poor educated hard working - you can understand why they want their children to pursue stable careers.

But as you mentioned BP, times are changing and with this a GENERATION is changing as well as the wealth is changing. And with that a shift in Bengali psyche is also happening.

I want my children to pursue whatever they want but be open to creative opportunities. Hell I want my son to be a basketball player. If they fail, hopefully I can be their back up till they find their happy success. This type of thinking does not apply to some ppl who I know - who has a millennial mentality - still living with his parents and just does talk so big and ideal but no action... his parents are working class - poor. It's sad and makes me angry. THe leachers of society and ppl with lack of self respect.

There are more failures than successess. The question is who can back you up to rise up from failures to make those pillars. If you have poor parents, I am sorry - you need to end this cycle of poverty and be a good boy and become that doctor or engineer.

Rifat
March 6, 2017, 11:22 AM
Start a new company. invent something. write a blog. Travel, take trips, meet new people, try new foods. I don't think anybody in this forum is trying or should be trying to stop you!

aklemalp
March 6, 2017, 11:38 AM
Didn't you like working with Computers? Hence, Computer Science.

I think work is meaningful when you don't have to be a zombie to it.

The point is that you get a good job, marry a good girl, start a family, and watch the smiles on ur children's face. The satisfaction trumps the point at the stage.

Trade the BMW in for a minivan

Rifat
March 6, 2017, 11:40 AM
Hell I want my son to be a basketball player.

maan, too many Bengali kids wished they had you as a parent ;).

as you stated, the first goal of Bangladeshi and many other asian/other migrants coming to US is to establish a stable life/education/blah blah blah etc etc etc. As you correctly stated, the paradigm has shifted and people now are more focused on fitting in with culture or taking non-traditional route or making a name for themselves.

ultimately, going back to the thread topic/opener. It's very important to take time out of your life and shut everything off and just think. What makes me happy? what is really important to me? What Do I really want to accomplish in life such that in my deathbed I die smiling. for me personally, it is islamic related. However, for many others, it is something else and that's absolutely fine.

I would totally love to see a Bengali superstar in NFL/NBA. I think it may actually happen.

totally agree with BP.

Zeeshan
March 6, 2017, 11:46 AM
Sometimes do you guys ever wondered, Whats the point, i nearly finished my Bachelors of Computer Science, and after 12 Years in total of studying, I realised whats the point, I am probably gonna work a crummy 9-5 job, 365 days for the next 10-20 years being happy on a 100K salary or some **** like that, probably going to come home, sit on my ***, do nothing and pray to allah, that something interesting happens in my piss poor life. I really don't want to end up like a typical person, who has a 9-5pm Jobs, gets old and just dies.

Sometimes I ask myself, instead of wasting my childhood going to an academically rigorous school, and instead of focusing on my marks, I should of had some fun during my childhood,hung out with my friends.

I just hope that I don`t become like a average joe, or something, or that will be another life wasted......

Maybe I just become a start-up or something take the risky route

Your Thoughts....Do you guys ever ask yourself the same questions

I have a nuanced view. I am the one who actually walked the alternate path. I did drop out in fear of being stuck in a rut in 9 to 5 and living it up in instant gratification moments posting away here and getting high on weed and what not.

Was the alternate life any glamorous? I don't think so. I don't think education is nearly that bad and you can just throw it away. ALL EXPERIENCES ... EVERY experience can be valuable and it all depends on what you do with it.

For instance I hated my major Computer Science. But in my experimental phase of lifestyle once I wanted to open an app called Cricket Curiosities, and I only lamented that had I had complete mastery over the language, I could've really creamed Android app development program. I did manage to create a pseudo version and really loved the look and feel of it in my Samsung Notepad. But imagine only if I had mastery of C++....

So don't be all doom and gloom bro. Think of it this way. Michael Scofield in Prison Break...lol used his assets of strucutral engineering to break out of prison. The Saw did made many ingenious contraption from mechanical engineering background. Hannibal Lecter used his skill set of law, psychiatry, cooking... to live his life. lol As did Clyde Sheldon used his knowledge of robotics in Law Abiding Citizen...and more recently Breaking Bad's mild mannered chemistry teacher Walter White.

I must give this to Hollywood. It may be all airy fairy, but the point simply being you can still use all your knowledge learned in school.

On topic: Agree with iDumb. Cannot pinpoint his previous incarnation.

Zeeshan
March 6, 2017, 11:53 AM
If I Had My Life Over - I'd Pick More Daisies
Nadine Stair

If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time. I'd relax, I would limber up. I would be sillier than I have been this trip. I would take fewer things seriously. I would take more chances. I would climb more mountains and swim more rivers. I would eat more ice cream and less beans. I would perhaps have more actual troubles, but I'd have fewer imaginary ones.
You see, I'm one of those people who lived sensibly and sanely, hour after hour, day after day. Oh, I've had my moments, and if I had to do it over again, I'd have more of them. In fact, I'd try to have nothing else. Just moments, one after another, instead of living so many years ahead of each day. I've been one of those persons who never goes anywhere without a thermometer, a hot water bottle, a raincoat and a parachute. If I had to do it again, I would travel lighter than I have.
If I had my life to live over, I would start barefoot earlier in the spring and stay that way later in the fall. I would go to more dances. I would ride more merry-go-rounds. I would pick more daisies.

http://www.devpsy.org/nonscience/daisies.html

Fazal
March 6, 2017, 02:36 PM
What's the Point?

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRZZy-kDK_7OYlkI4i24DiIc34hRn4Xtb07rXtbJoT_MAUnwGKO

BengaliPagol
March 6, 2017, 07:08 PM
That is a good point iDumb brought up with people from BD coming to western countries to seek a better future that is why they are playing the safe card. It is funny i had this exact conversation with my friends the other day. I am privileged to grow up in Australia in the sense that I got basically all that I wanted throughout my childhood. But at the same time we are still yearning for more and we still don't feel complete as human beings. That is why I looked to religion. But I have faith that the next generation of Bangladeshis living abroad will really make an impact in society and realise that money and playing it safe is not the only way to happiness.

Jadukor
April 6, 2017, 02:30 AM
If the goal is to get filthy rich then 9-5 jobs are probably not the way to go especially not in the non profit development jobs sector.

I am a guy in my 30s and in the 9-5 job or what can be termed as the safe and boring job category. Personally I don't find it so bad. The Job pays well enough to afford necessary things like a house, car, holiday travel etc. It offers me rental subsidies, education subsidies, language learning opportunities, pension fund along with health insurance and sends me to different places for training. But these are just additional benefits and I think the key is enjoying the work that you do and having a work life balance while doing it.

The organizational culture, the team you work with, your boss everything is very important in order to determine how much you will enjoy a typical 9-5 job. If it is an international organization/company you get to meet people of various nationalities/cultures and make a great network of friends worldwide. So I would say 90% of the time I do not have regrets taking the safe path. For the other 10%, I fantasize about how life would be if I chose to start a career in rock music or become a sound composer for Hollywood.

ReZ_1
April 6, 2017, 04:29 AM
A very philosophical thread. The question is after 9-5 job why don't we do something that worth of point. I know it is extra pressure on mind and body, but do we do that extra fitness training on mind and body?
There are so many people worth their point of living even after doing daily jobs.

However I believe we have to make smart Choices to take the Chances for bringing Changes in our life. That's the whole point of living....