PDA

View Full Version : ***Surnames - The Bangladeshi History***

SportingBD
March 26, 2017, 08:07 AM
What is your family surname? how far does it go back.
Can you tell us some historical information on what the surname means?

All of your family members, relatives share the same surname?

Also, does different part of Bangladesh have different surnames? why? what are the common surnames in different regions.

Purpose of the thread is to learn about the history of different surnames.
I have included a poll to see what is the common surname in BC/BD

aklemalp
March 26, 2017, 08:10 AM
Don't know how many members will honest with this....

My input on this will be a scant one.

DinRaat.
March 27, 2017, 01:02 AM
Were is FAKruddin

Rifat
March 27, 2017, 01:42 AM
Add Das, Pal, Sen, Nath.

Habib
March 27, 2017, 04:18 AM
Don't know about BC, but if the whole BD could vote in the poll, Hossain would have won by a mile.

adamnsu
March 27, 2017, 04:32 AM
I have some Bangladeshi friends with the coolest names :

- Bernard Ashley Cardoza Elmo
- Fahim Uddin Chowdhurry Khan (Please do not abbreviate :D )

bujhee kom
March 27, 2017, 09:30 AM
Hoi miah Sporting bhai saheeb...in your poll list, there are major Bangladeshi last names..

A. Patowari
B. Chakladar
C. Pakrashi
4. Miah
5. Bhuiyan

Where are these names miah?

SportingBD
March 27, 2017, 09:36 AM
Hoi miah RaatDiin Period bhai saheeb...in your poll list, there are major Bangladeshi last names..

A. Patowari
B. Chakladar
C. Pakrashi
4. Miah
5. Bhuiyan

Where are these names miah?

BC has restriction of 15 options. Hence the one mentioned are listed in others. If you know about the history related to the names you have mentioned do enlighten us, perhaps we could learn something new.

SportingBD
March 27, 2017, 09:37 AM
Don't know about BC, but if the whole BD could vote in the poll, Hossain would have won by a mile.

Habib Ahmed or Hossain?

SportingBD
March 27, 2017, 09:39 AM
Were is FAKruddin

Is that a common surname in Bangladesh? Like amongst the most common ones?

bujhee kom
March 27, 2017, 09:55 AM
Ohh ho, I am so sorry Sporting bhaiyo...I knew it was you who opened this thread, but when I was typing my post, I wrote DiinRaat Period bhai's name, because, oi miah opens 10 threads per week...Heheheheh.

I will write about my family name and shed some light on it, Sporting bhai. after work today, tonight.

I am also a total stupid...You already covered 'Miah' in your list

SportingBD
March 27, 2017, 10:17 AM
Ohh ho, I am so sorry Sporting bhaiyo...I knew it was you who opened this thread, but when I was typing my post, I wrote DiinRaat Period bhai's name, because, oi miah opens 10 threads per week...Heheheheh.

I will write about my family name and shed some light on it, Sporting bhai. after work today, tonight.

I am also a total stupid...You already covered 'Miah' in your list

No worries bro. IA hope to learn something new about your family name:).

Habib
March 27, 2017, 02:39 PM
Habib Ahmed or Hossain?

Neither. Habib is my surname. :lol:

Rifat
March 27, 2017, 02:47 PM
add:
Iqbal
Sarkar
Majumdar
Talukdar
Karim
Haque

add to that, a lot of people in Bangladesh don't have a generic surname: meaning, their surname goes like this: Mohammad "". for Example: Mohammad Rafique. or Mohammad Ahsan or Mohammad Haydar

R0ssei
March 29, 2017, 07:55 AM
Why do we name our kids outrageously without signifying our family heritage/history rather by investing on inventing "uncommon" names? This never made sense to me.

The ideal way should be:
Given Name + Middle Name (Father/Mother/Grandparent's Maiden Name) + Surname

But we would use 3 -4 given names and at the end, just add the family name as if it doesn't matter. It would be so easy to track family history if we were named same for generations.

For example, my granddad was a Md + ___ + Miah and he named his 6 sons Md + Abu + ___. Some 'Abu' kicked in and so no place for 'Miah' anymore. And then I was named ___ + Father's Last Name. And so were my cousins with their respective Father's Last Name. And that's how we lost our family title all together. :facepalm:

aklemalp
March 29, 2017, 10:03 AM
What's the quintessential bengali surname?

One World
March 29, 2017, 10:51 AM
You can also group them by region,

Sylhet Division - Mia
Dhaka Division - Chowdhury, Alam, Khan
Chittagong Division - Rahman
North Bengal - Sarkar, Majumdar etc.

R0ssei
March 29, 2017, 11:35 AM
^^
Where do Hasan, Hossain/Hussain, Islam, Hoque/Haque come from then?

NoName
March 31, 2017, 09:57 PM
Mines Afghan lol

Roni_uk
March 31, 2017, 10:04 PM
my surname started with me and stopped with me - lol. It is also my nick name - its totally screwed up. Most surnames in bd are screwed up and reflects no family history.

SportingBD
April 1, 2017, 12:21 PM
my surname started with me and stopped with me - lol. It is also my nick name - its totally screwed up. Most surnames in bd are screwed up and reflects no family history.

I guess you have to look at your father and forefathers surname?

Maybe than you can see what family you come from in terms of surname.

Mas_UK25
April 1, 2017, 04:10 PM
Miah - Sylhet? That's stereotypical hardly any much miahs around where I'm from, even though I'm a Miah/Taluqdar bongsho my surename is Hasan. Yes Mia/Miah/Mian it's a popular known word/surename, but there are more Khans, Alis, Hasans, Hossains, Rahmans, in Sylhet.

Then again surenames such as: Alis, Hasans, Hossains, Rahmans, is everywhere in more quantities and percentages, as they are popular names of the great Sahabahs and its Islamically good to have names after them. It's not in any particular district/division/zone, which has it more.

One World
April 1, 2017, 06:09 PM
^ I agree, I am a Talukdar/Ali, but the zoning was based on surnames mostly used, not necessarily a permanent feature for the region.

koushik
April 4, 2017, 06:27 AM
Sarkar is the best.bcoz they are head of country
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Android)