PDA

View Full Version : Genetic/Ethnic History and Origins of Bangladeshis

BengaliPagol
March 26, 2017, 10:40 PM
I always ask people about this question but it feels like not many people know. But where do we ethnically originate from? I heard Persia get thrown around and I guess we can be classed in the Indian category and then Islam came through Mughals into India. So we also have a lot of Mughal blood in us. I dont know about Mughal history that well and where they are ethnically from either. But many people in BC i assume would be knowledgeable about this subject.

I hope people don't just google and copy paste or link websites rather im hoping BC members have proper knowledge about this topic.

shoibboshach
March 26, 2017, 11:15 PM
If "we" means Bangali then we originate from Bangal or Bangladesh or the Indus valley. Mughals (Turkic/Mongol) or Persians/Arabs came later and inter-married with the natives. If you go back thousands and thousands years before that then probably Africa via Mongolia. Before that Adam and Hawwa. :)

Rifat
March 27, 2017, 02:07 AM
a little bit of persian blood.
a little bit of turkish blood.
a little bit of indian/pakistani blood.
a little bit of arab blood.
a little bit of burmese blood.
a little bit of chinese blood.

Bangladeshis are mixtures of a tons of different cultures. :)

adamnsu
March 27, 2017, 03:50 AM
This is a tricky one to answer and I have myself thought of the same. This depends alot on which part of Bangladesh you are talking about and what community. Even for a small country surrounded mainly by India we surprisingly have people with many different backgrounds:

I have had friends who have lineage from different areas
- links to Arab countries (Syed family)
- some of direct Persian links (Indian Aga Khan)
- Pakistani (Memon and Chalk Bazar busisness men)
- Scottish (Tea plantation settlers)
- Portugese (Christian Chittgong)
- Assam and Burma (Chakma and Khasia)
- China (businessmen who settled down and opened laundry and restaraunts

Shingara
March 27, 2017, 04:04 AM
Civilization was born in Mesopotamia, aka Iraq
Aryans came from there and settled in the Indus valley. We are descendants of Aryans.

Habib
March 27, 2017, 04:15 AM
Civilization was born in Mesopotamia, aka Iraq
Aryans came from there and settled in the Indus valley. We are descendants of Aryans.

Damn. Time to start the 3rd world war then. :)

By the way, I swear Mushy has some Chinese blood in him, he looks Chinese.

BengaliPagol
March 27, 2017, 06:39 AM
How did Arab blood get to us?

adamnsu
March 27, 2017, 06:47 AM
How did Arab blood get to us?

Not all of us, but very few. My friend who is from the Syed family can trace back his lineage to Arabia where his forefathers had travelled from. They have some kind of document with all their signatures.

PS: My wife's great grandfather brought an orphan back from Hajj who was orginally from an African country. That started another lineage in Sylhet as he settled and got married in Bangladesh.

mufi_02
March 27, 2017, 09:21 AM
Bengali as an ethnic group is mainly a mix of Dravidian of Dravidian and Tibeto Burman with a hint of Indo-Aryan and then followed by some small mixing with Arab/Persian (Mughal) blood.

But we are mostly Dravidian (that's why our generally darker skin tone) and Tibeto Burman (thus round cheeks and nose). Over the last 500 years, there has been some Arab/Aryan/Persian interaction but very minimal. So we do have some fair skinned or sharp features people but it is mostly specific to certain areas (i.e. some parts of old Dhaka where Mughals ruled and Persian/Afghan traders settled, Sylhet where Arab Sufis and merchants settled and other areas).

We can take a look at our cricket team and staff which is a pretty good sample of the Bengali population.

Papon is clearly Tibeto Burman. Shakib/Mustafiz is quintessentially Bengali. Nasir/Mashrafi slightly less so. Farhad Reza is maybe from Baghdad. Shamim Chow has British royal blood evident from his accent.

Zeeshan
March 27, 2017, 12:36 PM
Bengali as an ethnic group is mainly a mix of Dravidian of Dravidian and Tibeto Burman with a hint of Indo-Aryan and then followed by some small mixing with Arab/Persian (Mughal) blood.

But we are mostly Dravidian (that's why our generally darker skin tone) and Tibeto Burman (thus round cheeks and nose). Over the last 500 years, there has been some Arab/Aryan/Persian interaction but very minimal. So we do have some fair skinned or sharp features people but it is mostly specific to certain areas (i.e. some parts of old Dhaka where Mughals ruled and Persian/Afghan traders settled, Sylhet where Arab Sufis and merchants settled and other areas).

We can take a look at our cricket team and staff which is a pretty good sample of the Bengali population.

Papon is clearly Tibeto Burman. Shakib/Mustafiz is quintessentially Bengali. Nasir/Mashrafi slightly less so. Farhad Reza is maybe from Baghdad. Shamim Chow has British royal blood evident from his accent.

lol....

aklemalp
April 19, 2017, 02:12 PM
Bumped this thread....because wanna learn more.

Surprised that the input is limited. A little disinterested perhaps?

Let's make FC the face of BC again when there aren't any matches.

Come on guys, your Web presence should be more of a healthy one.

aklemalp
April 19, 2017, 02:55 PM
I think Taskin may have a little bit of Mongol blood in him. Or some central Asian lineage.

mufi_02
April 19, 2017, 03:35 PM
I think Taskin may have a little bit of Mongol blood in him. Or some central Asian lineage.

what makes you think that?

aklemalp
April 19, 2017, 03:36 PM
what makes you think that?

This was purely based on his looks.

I may be wrong.

mufi_02
April 19, 2017, 04:04 PM
This was purely based on his looks.

I may be wrong.

Bengalis are mostly Dravidian and Tibeto-Burman. So a lot of us has those east Asian (or "Chinese" for the lack of better word) features. But not Central Asian which are the countries of Mongolia, Uzbek, Tajik, Kazakh, Kyrgyzstan.

SportingBD
April 19, 2017, 04:11 PM
Very good thread, hopefully can learn more about our history of where we came from, bloodline etc.

Would it be wrong to say we are probably a mixture of everything?

I mean it would be very hard for someone to say about our forefathers of 3,000+ years ago?

Lets take it even further? since the creation of earth? maybe our great great great times by 100.. was in fact a arbian, Russian, sri Lankan.. it could be anything?

Btw how far does history go back to trace our ethnicity? origins? is there a limitation?

aklemalp
April 19, 2017, 04:32 PM
Bengalis are mostly Dravidian and Tibeto-Burman. So a lot of us has those east Asian (or "Chinese" for the lack of better word) features. But not Central Asian which are the countries of Mongolia, Uzbek, Tajik, Kazakh, Kyrgyzstan.

Thanks, makes it much clearer:up:.
But, at some point in history, China was part of the great Mongol empire:-B.

brockley
April 19, 2017, 05:02 PM
Irish,Scottish,English,French,German,Indian a soldier in 16th century.
Not sure of what else.
I am a relation of the Grahams in Scotland,who were part of the Clans that fought the British,Graham a very famous Scottish name.

BengaliPagol
April 19, 2017, 09:12 PM
people can take tests to find out about their ethnicity ? Why not somehow get a bd national player to go through a test. That would be pretty cool actually.

brockley
April 19, 2017, 09:53 PM
That would be interesting,where can you take those tests?
I only know through family histories.

brockley
April 21, 2017, 01:00 AM
Oops wrong thread.

BengaliPagol
April 21, 2017, 09:50 PM
That would be interesting,where can you take those tests?
I only know through family histories.

there are centres that do it iirc. Costs like 200 bucks or something.

brockley
April 21, 2017, 11:32 PM
Ok thanks,thats affordable.

Nafi
April 24, 2017, 07:49 PM

Here you can get them for around £70

icricket
April 26, 2017, 02:17 AM
Cool thread. I learned a lot.

That makes sense. That's why many of us has that feature.

What is iirc? Is ancestry dna test similar to iirc? I'm not sure if they have enough sample of people from our region to give us accurate results.

BengaliPagol
April 26, 2017, 07:13 AM
What is iirc? Is ancestry dna test similar to iirc? I'm not sure if they have enough sample of people from our region to give us accurate results.

iirc stands for "if i recall correctly" LOL

BengaliPagol
April 26, 2017, 07:16 AM
Bengalis are mostly Dravidian and Tibeto-Burman.

you saying Bangalis are ethnically Rahul Dravidians? That explains why our batsman play T20s like it is test cricket. :goal:

Rana Melb
April 26, 2017, 08:59 AM
Can anyone confirm is Eclipse bangali or Indian?

ReZ_1
April 26, 2017, 09:44 AM
Are we the people in Bangladesh the most cross-linked group within such a small area living together?

simon
April 27, 2017, 07:14 AM
This tgread gv me idea of another topic.
Why do BDeshis speak bangla in so many different accent/dialect ?
Dhakaiya, noakhailla, bonorishail etc
How did this happen ?

Zeeshan
April 27, 2017, 07:28 AM
How did this happen ?

Don't forget... RJ-aia.

BengaliPagol
April 27, 2017, 09:30 AM
How did this happen ?

Doesn't that happen normally when you live in different tribes within the same land? I know during the time of Prophet Muhammad peace be upon him the Arab tribes of his time spoke slightly different dialects hence why the Quran was revealed in different dialects.

simon
April 27, 2017, 02:34 PM
Doesn't that happen normally when you live in different tribes within the same land? I know during the time of Prophet Muhammad peace be upon him the Arab tribes of his time spoke slightly different dialects hence why the Quran was revealed in different dialects.

I mean our country is small.
Even in Dhaka u hv normal dhaka language and puran Dhaka language.

view360
May 1, 2017, 12:16 PM
Bangladeshis are genetically similar to other population groups in Indian sub continent. Just remember that linguistic features do not dictate genetics. Race is rather a political term than scientific. The gene pool of the Indian sub continent stays consistent and largely indigenous despite various migrations over the millennia. Population genetics is part of the human evolution and it is too strong to be changed by few invasions. Evolution takes place over hundreds of thousands of years and not in few hundred years.