PDA

View Full Version : Bring back Mominul in no 3!

Rana Melb
June 6, 2017, 07:45 PM
This is the time.. we should think about more deeply in no 3 position. This is a vacant position since basher retire.. no one could settle since then. How long we ll be going with a makeshift no 3. All the big players in all the big teams play in one down position. We need to reinvest mominul- a genuine top order batsman. I dont see shabbir imrul or riad can shine in this role. Bring mominul please...

tanvir_nus
June 6, 2017, 08:21 PM
I think we need to give Liton Das a major run there. He is an opener and plays number 3 with ease. He is also a right hander which is what we need. Give him a run and see what he can do, just scored 752 runs after a successful 2015 year too, not only that he scored over 1200 runs in the NCL/BCL. We need consistent players with high SR, he has all the makings basically.

Rana Melb
June 6, 2017, 10:12 PM
Mominul would be much better than liton specially in international areana. Mominul is a proven warrior.. technically correct n fluent in both side of the wickets.

jeesh
June 6, 2017, 10:23 PM
But...he also can be reckless (But then again who isnt), tendency of throwing away his wicket. He also has an issue with strike rotation. Very good with fielders inside circle, he can score through 4's. But once field is spread he struggles a bit.

But nevertheless given the dearth of options, we could consider him as an option. Or maybe time to consider Mushfiq for 3 as discussed in another thread.

Gowza
June 7, 2017, 12:35 AM
Either try sabbir again because if he can sort himself out in that position he'd be awesome (current issues is that his feet are slow to begin with and he can be overly aggressive) or give liton another run or give shanto a shot.

Liton and shanto did better than mominul in the DPL and they are both top order batsmen.

DinRaat.
June 7, 2017, 12:38 AM
This is the time.. we should think about more deeply in no 3 position. This is a vacant position since basher retire.. no one could settle since then. How long we ll be going with a makeshift no 3. All the big players in all the big teams play in one down position. We need to reinvest mominul- a genuine top order batsman. I dont see shabbir imrul or riad can shine in this role. Bring mominul please...

I extensively agree with slotting mini at 3.Class and temperament,compiled with technique is crucial to survive in this position.Mini has all that.

Liton Das would also be a good call.

Rifat
June 7, 2017, 12:52 AM
Mominul, Anamul and Nasir three experienced campaigners who still has a ton to offer to Bangladesh cricket.

Gowza
June 7, 2017, 12:56 AM
Mominul, Anamul and Nasir three experienced campaigners who still has a ton to offer to Bangladesh cricket.

Yeah nasir a possible, this season he's batted out a lot of innings batting at 4 so he has the temperament to stay around and he generally scores reasonably quickly.

I guess if you want a genuine top order bat though then you'd try liton, shanto, mominul or anamul.

Kohli_Sox
June 7, 2017, 01:03 AM
Mominul definitely should play

Max100
June 7, 2017, 02:27 AM
how abt shahriar nafees or nasir

Shingara
June 7, 2017, 02:51 AM
Why is Riyad not in that position ?

Rinathq
June 7, 2017, 03:12 AM
Imtiaz Hossain scored more then him in DPL... yea no thanks! Mominul can come play at no.3 when he can top the scoring chart in domestics.. he hasnt shown any consistency at the domestic level to indicate he can do it in the international stage. Liton came back well and for now deserves a chance at no.3.. For me though, It should go to one of Mushy or Shakib. Not gonna say Riyad because he has changed his game and now suits better down the order. Mushy is our most reliable batsman and with Tamim opening, we will get 2 of the most stable batsmen batting together very often and thats the best recipe for getting a big total for the team. If coach wants him at 4 or 5 as a safe guard then send in Shakib for the same reason Sabbir was sent.. to play aggressive and to destabilize the opposition. He is a crap finisher these days and cant protect the tail either... So him playing down the order isnt much use anyways. So might as well try him up and play him with his best friend who maybe able to talk some sense into him...

meanwhile, train Mosaddek, Shanto, Liton for the future role

Max100
June 7, 2017, 03:37 AM
mosaddek is a top order batsman, why try him as #7?

simon
June 7, 2017, 06:28 AM
It should be Liton,should get another chance.
Also what happened to Roquibul the Rock?
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition

SH Anik
June 7, 2017, 06:29 AM
I would give Litton an another chance.

lakers81
June 7, 2017, 06:56 AM
Hello guys, just joined this site (from Dhaka, BD residing in Wash DC, USA, currently in BD right now) , I hope I can provide good posts here.

I read a few posts here and there and the topic of the number 3 batsmen caught my interest the most. Obviously for 2019 Saikat (Mosa) is the most suited and is being groomed long term, obviously some other bridge options right now could also be Mominul Haque, Nasir Hossain, Liton Das or Nazmul Hossain Shanto.

TBH I am honestly thinking BD already has their number 3 on the team and the player most equipped to play number three but is playing a different position right now, and I don't mean Mushfiqur Rahim.

Soumya Sarker is the best number 3 for BD right now at this moment and time, but he is being asked to play opener.

As insane and as stupid of an idea this might be, why not persist and give Shabbir a chance to open, to me due to his lack of defense number 3 is not a good position for him and I don't trust/like Kayes at all. Sabbir is either a dasher at opening or a finisher at 6/7.

The reason I bring this up is for a few reasons.

1. Sabbir has a Afridi like trait that he is too brave for his own good (which others will take it as stupid and not playing with sense), but I think him being opener and SS being at 3 works out better because of his aggressive style.
2. One thing I noticed is whenever BD loses Tamim/SS, whether it's the players/fans/commentators etc. they have a slightly defeated feeling in the sense that it's not just one wicket lost instead BD is literally down 100/2 or 15/2 because whoever at 3 will always mess it up and get out, and Mushfiqur will have to pull out his magic act.
3. Designated role for SS, Sarker can handle pinch hitting/anchor both roles fine but at opening he is being asked to be the aggressor (I think he prefers starting slowly but settling in rhythem) also he faces the pressure of being too much like Tamim who can easily do both roles. But for a number three someone has to be well rounded in offense and defense and has to be patient, I think by putting SS at 3 instead of opening, he will have slightly less pressure to live up to Tamim and can play more naturally to his skills.
4. left hand/right hand combo some of the top teams have that at opening, BD having 4 left handers out of top 5 is asking for a disaster to occur (Tamim, SS, Kayes, Shakib)
5. If Shabbir does go maniac mode it's better to do it early and still lose the wicket but atleast he accelerates the innings at a faster pace instead of 30/0 or 30/ 3/4 wickets lost after 10, you can probably have a 60/70 for 1 after the initial PP.

That way BD will only lose one wicket but doesn't need to feel that whenever the opening pair goes down, number three will flame out immidiately which more then not causes 40/2 or 55/3 after just 10 to 15 overs.

tiger1000
June 7, 2017, 07:36 AM
mosaddek is a top order batsman, why try him as #7?

Mossadek can't handle the pace of the ball at 6/7, I think he's class, but not ready for limited overs cricket,

Sabbir for one isn't that good at 3,and it heavily weakens our lower order

Imrul hasn't taken his two chances

Litton can't play offside, our domestic cricket is so poor, he can still dominate, because he's so good legside, huge potential but not ready for limited overs cricket

I would agree with mominul, he should get a shot, he can't be worse than sabbir or imrul right now, he's got more talent than them two and it'll keep sabbir where he belongs and that's 5-7 or 35+ overs, which ever comes first

tiger1000
June 7, 2017, 07:49 AM
Hello guys, just joined this site (from Dhaka, BD residing in Wash DC, USA, currently in BD right now) , I hope I can provide good posts here.

I read a few posts here and there and the topic of the number 3 batsmen caught my interest the most. Obviously for 2019 Saikat (Mosa) is the most suited and is being groomed long term, obviously some other bridge options right now could also be Mominul Haque, Nasir Hossain, Liton Das or Nazmul Hossain Shanto.

TBH I am honestly thinking BD already has their number 3 on the team and the player most equipped to play number three but is playing a different position right now, and I don't mean Mushfiqur Rahim.

Soumya Sarker is the best number 3 for BD right now at this moment and time, but he is being asked to play opener.

As insane and as stupid of an idea this might be, why not persist and give Shabbir a chance to open, to me due to his lack of defense number 3 is not a good position for him and I don't trust/like Kayes at all. Sabbir is either a dasher at opening or a finisher at 6/7.

The reason I bring this up is for a few reasons.

1. Sabbir has a Afridi like trait that he is too brave for his own good (which others will take it as stupid and not playing with sense), but I think him being opener and SS being at 3 works out better because of his aggressive style.
2. One thing I noticed is whenever BD loses Tamim/SS, whether it's the players/fans/commentators etc. they have a slightly defeated feeling in the sense that it's not just one wicket lost instead BD is literally down 100/2 or 15/2 because whoever at 3 will always mess it up and get out, and Mushfiqur will have to pull out his magic act.
3. Designated role for SS, Sarker can handle pinch hitting/anchor both roles fine but at opening he is being asked to be the aggressor (I think he prefers starting slowly but settling in rhythem) also he faces the pressure of being too much like Tamim who can easily do both roles. But for a number three someone has to be well rounded in offense and defense and has to be patient, I think by putting SS at 3 instead of opening, he will have slightly less pressure to live up to Tamim and can play more naturally to his skills.
4. left hand/right hand combo some of the top teams have that at opening, BD having 4 left handers out of top 5 is asking for a disaster to occur (Tamim, SS, Kayes, Shakib)
5. If Shabbir does go maniac mode it's better to do it early and still lose the wicket but atleast he accelerates the innings at a faster pace instead of 30/0 or 30/ 3/4 wickets lost after 10, you can probably have a 60/70 for 1 after the initial PP.

That way BD will only lose one wicket but doesn't need to feel that whenever the opening pair goes down, number three will flame out immidiately which more then not causes 40/2 or 55/3 after just 10 to 15 overs.

As an opener you need as good of a defence if not better one than a number 3, if sabbir can't handle number 3,he won't handle opening the innings

You compare him to afridi, and ok some similar traits, look at his long career... He was a failure up the order

I agree Sarkar is trying to much to be tamim and failing, but he's trying to be tamim by playing to slowly, Sarkar is an out and out attacker, he's shown nothing to suggest otherwise, he's at his best when he's going hard at the opponent, every time he's started too slowly he's not found rhythm, he's only found it in the past with boundaries flowing, that's his natural game, he's not an anchor

Left right hand combo is overrated, it only takes effect under pressure, that's nearly always only after 35 overs

Our opening whether that's tamim imrul or tamim Sarkar has been world class for few years now, that's now an issue, you assume we'll be 3 down for 40odd, but assume with Sabbir opening we'll get to go 10 overs without a wicket, that's not realistic

Don't fix what's not broken, tamim imrul or tamim Sarkar are good openers

We need to find a proper number 3

tonmoy.dhaka
June 7, 2017, 07:50 AM
Liton Das for number 3 is the only option...

Mominul is a big big NO.

R0ssei
June 7, 2017, 08:45 AM
Try Liton Das. It's imperative that we come up with a solid No. 3 before 2019 WC.

Sabbir failed although I hoped he wouldn't. His technique is getting worse. Since we lack power hitter at the end, he can play at No. 7.

Mominul is an option. But he seems like a true test player to me. With TI's SR below 80, he wouldn't be much different, perhaps even slower. He can be slow n steady, but will have problems when RR needs to be increased.

Mushy can play at 3 only if Mullah can be consistent at 4. We're highly dependent on Tamim and Mushy for scoring big. So if we lose both in first 10 overs, we will be in deep trouble.

Technique is very important for No 3. You need to play both seamers and spinners, especially the new ball bowlers. You can be a tad slow for your first 30-40 runs, but then will have to accelerate. Running betn the wickets need to be world class.

Nafi
June 7, 2017, 09:21 AM
Dont want mominul on a non test team. Its very negative.

Id rather have Liton Das. Currently the only short term solution is having mushfiq at 3.

Shubho
June 7, 2017, 09:46 AM
How about Soumya and Liton as openers, and Tamim at three? For the good of the team I'm sure he can re-invent himself as an accumulator. Heck, he has to do that most of the time anyway. Soumya and Liton have opened together before, with Soumya as the aggressor and Liton as the anchor. Might be worth a shot.

Mas_UK25
June 7, 2017, 09:58 AM
No thanks.

Bring back Samsur Rahman. He did score a match winning 96 chasing 305 against NZ. Has mominul ever done that? No.

Rana Melb
June 16, 2017, 06:25 AM
Dr nazrul was also surprised why mominul is not included in the team. He can be the ultimate solution for 2019 wc.

MHRAM
June 16, 2017, 07:15 AM
Mominul is fine but the issue with him is that we would eventually have two grafters in the top 3 - Tamim, Mini.

Liton would be great for a change if you ask me

Kohli_Sox
June 16, 2017, 10:18 AM
I would play Mominul. He got everything but as usual undone by all means. Never got settled in the ODI team. Harsh on Mominul. He is our no.3 or Shanto

5tonne
June 16, 2017, 01:03 PM
Not happening. Hathuru said it was a mistake moving Sabbir out of no 3 in first two matches. Now he wants to give Sabbir a long run at no 3.

R0ssei
June 16, 2017, 02:03 PM
Many men, many minds.

To me, none of our current lot is technically that sound. There is a lot of criteria for a class No. 3 batsman (if you compare with Kohli, Smith, Kane, Root) which is hard to fulfill with our talent. It's better to hunt one.

The coach is trying to groom Sabbir for this role. At first, I liked the idea and hopes that Sabbir would mature himself. But that didn't happen and doesn't seem to happen in future either.

However I like the idea of Tamim being No. 3 and let SS + another RH batsman (Liton) open. Mominul doesn't seem to be a versatile LOI player.

Roy_1
June 16, 2017, 02:16 PM
As per my observation Mominul seems kind of limited as a batsman, not sure if he can up the ante when required, Shabbir is way more talented than both Mominul and Kayes, just needs to fix his temperament issues, you need someone at no 3 who could rattle the cage of the opposition and strike fear into them whilst anchoring the innings when needed, Shabbir is not up there yet, but certainly got the potential. IMO Mominul would make a decent opener in ODIs, he could come handy during the first powerplay when the fielding restrictions are on.

Gowza
June 16, 2017, 06:53 PM
See this is where selection contradictions are a bit ludicrous around here. We are saying mominul didn't ever get settled in the ODI team hence his poor record. Well he played 15 innings at 3 out of 24 innings in total, that's more innings at 3 than Sabbir (played 14 so far) who got good runs of 11 innings at both the 6 and 7 position so really Sabbir has been just as unsettled as mominul in that regard. Yes Sabbir has played more than mominul but he's still been all over the place in the order.

This isn't me endorsing Sabbir I'm just saying have a little equalness in rationale. Sabbir did score less runs than mominul (40-50 less) and has a lower average at 3 than mominul (not by too much though) but both have 3 half centuries at 3 and Sabbir's highest score was 65 when mominul's highest was 60 (not a big difference) but strike rate makes the main difference with Sabbir's being mid to high 80s whilst mominul was low to mid 70s.

Again I'm not advocating for Sabbir, I don't mind him getting a bit more time at 3 if that happens but he does need to adjust his mindset and learn to play long innings. I'm happy for liton to get another run or even shanto to be given some opportunities.

But let's say Sabbir stays at 3 we could have an order like this, keep in mind it's out of the box so don't be too critical:

1 tamim
2 liton
3 sabbir
4 mushy
5 shakib
6 riyad
7 Soumya

Now it might seem a bit weird to have Soumya lower down and although I don't feel it necessary to call for his head atm if we really do have a problem lower down in the last 10 but we have more options at the top of the order then why not put a natural stroke maker who can hit from ball 1 and likes to strike at over 100 down there.

Soumya is clearly talented enough for this level, so is Sabbir, it'd be a shame to lose them. The CT opened my eyes to mosaddek, he doesn't look ready yet for limited overs internationals, maybe it was just nerves but it was very nerve racking watching him connect with the ball and his technique (maybe it was his wristyness).

If we are to change the order before WC and we want to experiment now is the time to do it.

Otherwise keep Soumya up top and play liton at 3 and drop Sabbir back down the order but we need to work out who is to bat where and settle the team so players have clear roles going forward, the chopping and changing is making it difficult for the young players to develop.

I think if shanto is to get tested we should just commit him to the number 3 spot, it's either there or he's not in the xi, that way he has a clear defined role from the beginning and we'd also as a team be heading toward fixing the number 3 spot and grooming someone for it rather than trying to create a number 3 out of players who aren't really number 3s.

tanvir_nus
June 16, 2017, 07:56 PM
See this is where selection contradictions are a bit ludicrous around here. We are saying mominul didn't ever get settled in the ODI team hence his poor record. Well he played 15 innings at 3 out of 24 innings in total, that's more innings at 3 than Sabbir (played 14 so far) who got good runs of 11 innings at both the 6 and 7 position so really Sabbir has been just as unsettled as mominul in that regard. Yes Sabbir has played more than mominul but he's still been all over the place in the order.

This isn't me endorsing Sabbir I'm just saying have a little equalness in rationale. Sabbir did score less runs than mominul (40-50 less) and has a lower average at 3 than mominul (not by too much though) but both have 3 half centuries at 3 and Sabbir's highest score was 65 when mominul's highest was 60 (not a big difference) but strike rate makes the main difference with Sabbir's being mid to high 80s whilst mominul was low to mid 70s.

Again I'm not advocating for Sabbir, I don't mind him getting a bit more time at 3 if that happens but he does need to adjust his mindset and learn to play long innings. I'm happy for liton to get another run or even shanto to be given some opportunities.

But let's say Sabbir stays at 3 we could have an order like this, keep in mind it's out of the box so don't be too critical:

1 tamim
2 liton
3 sabbir
4 mushy
5 shakib
6 riyad
7 Soumya

Now it might seem a bit weird to have Soumya lower down and although I don't feel it necessary to call for his head atm if we really do have a problem lower down in the last 10 but we have more options at the top of the order then why not put a natural stroke maker who can hit from ball 1 and likes to strike at over 100 down there.

Soumya is clearly talented enough for this level, so is Sabbir, it'd be a shame to lose them. The CT opened my eyes to mosaddek, he doesn't look ready yet for limited overs internationals, maybe it was just nerves but it was very nerve racking watching him connect with the ball and his technique (maybe it was his wristyness).

If we are to change the order before WC and we want to experiment now is the time to do it.

Otherwise keep Soumya up top and play liton at 3 and drop Sabbir back down the order but we need to work out who is to bat where and settle the team so players have clear roles going forward, the chopping and changing is making it difficult for the young players to develop.

I think if shanto is to get tested we should just commit him to the number 3 spot, it's either there or he's not in the xi, that way he has a clear defined role from the beginning and we'd also as a team be heading toward fixing the number 3 spot and grooming someone for it rather than trying to create a number 3 out of players who aren't really number 3s.

I think Soumya needs to play at the top. What I will do is let Liton open and bring Soumya one down. We absolutely need our big hitters down the order. I thought we found our best combination but I think there is a huge problem at our lower order, specially the allrounders category. Also I feel that just like England, we need to pack our tail with bowlers who bowl 140 but can hit as well when required. This is essential in the modern game. The other thing that needs to happen is Mushfique, Shakib and Riyad's order should be fixed and not changed. They prefer it this way and what happens if we change again is we have 3 more batsmen who are unsettled instead of the number 3 and 7. We don't need this atm.

Top Order
1) Tamim
2) Liton
3) Soumya <- This place is up for grabs now though. Soumya needs to average atleast 40 in the next 5 games to retain his spot but I fear his drop is almost becoming imminent given his performance.

Middle Order
4) Mushfique
5) Shakib
6) Riyad

Lower Middle Order - Hitters
7) Shabbir
8) Nasir
9) Shaifuddin

Tail
10) Taskin
11) Fizz

I think in this BPL, we will have to find our best hitters in the country. That spot for 8 and 9 still up for grabs in my opinion. So is Taskin's spot in bowling, although I feel he is one of our bests. In total I would say 4 places that we need to open up for in the national team. Shabbir should stay but probably best to move him down the order now again. He hasn't clicked unfortunately. I do agree that Mosaddek is not a hitter type batsman we need at 7. We need someone to absolutely clobber it. Miraz is still under developlment and should not bat after 4 anyways, he is orthodox. We need someone like Zia's hitting power but at the same time someone who can easily contribute 10 overs if we need.

I feel we need to try Raju, Zia, Shafiuddin, Alauddin Babu even Rony at that spot. We just can't leave these questions hanging, need to fix it before the next WC.

For number 3, question is who is really the most gifted batsman in the country. Someone who is not in the national squad too.

Gowza
June 16, 2017, 08:13 PM
I honestly believe the most talented bats of the young generation are in no order liton, soumya, sabbir and shanto. Shanto has the most experience as a number 3 but liton and soumya are both top order bats.

But one issue with shanto being at 3 if we also have soumya and tamim is that all if the top 3 are lefties and that's going to be a disadvantage even if they are the best 3 players for those positions. It's not as much if an issue in tests but in the shorter formats it could be targeted.

tanvir_nus
June 16, 2017, 08:25 PM
I honestly believe the most talented bats of the young generation are in no order liton, soumya, sabbir and shanto. Shanto has the most experience as a number 3 but liton and soumya are both top order bats.

But one issue with shanto being at 3 if we also have soumya and tamim is that all if the top 3 are lefties and that's going to be a disadvantage even if they are the best 3 players for those positions. It's not as much if an issue in tests but in the shorter formats it could be targeted.

I like Shanto, I think he can become on of our greats. He is consistent and has a real good technique. But what I am not sure about is his maturity and ability to take pressure, Shanto is still very very young. This CT has shown that we need a cool customer there. If Shanto can show me this BPL that he can chase under pressure then I am all for it.

It's funny how the stocks of a batsman goes up and then down. Just in SL series we were discussing how good Mosaddek looks, in the NZ series I thought Shabbir was our best technically gifted batsman. In the Ireland series it looked as if Soumya is back in royal touch. Sigh, when it mattered they all failed miserably.

I would like to see Liton a major run here though. I hope he comes back with a bang, but again I have a feeling he might not be able to take pressure. We need someone to take the pressure of the entire country and still score. Time will tell

BengaliPagol
June 16, 2017, 10:13 PM
Our no. 2 and 3 batsmen in reality are actually no. 6 and 7 batsmen. Look at every other teams no. 2 and 3 batsman and then look at ours.

Gowza
June 17, 2017, 07:41 PM
Our no. 2 and 3 batsmen in reality are actually no. 6 and 7 batsmen. Look at every other teams no. 2 and 3 batsman and then look at ours.

If that is the case then put them at those positions and bring in liton and shanto at the top. Sabbir will be fine down the order as he has been in the past, Soumya who knows...but Soumya is one of the few in the country who can hit from ball one, it's pretty natural to him and he's a powerful guy so no problem clearing the rope which is what everyone wanted in a lower order bat a week or so ago. TBH Soumya is in bad form but I don't think he should be dropped, he still averages mid 30s.

Rana Melb
June 19, 2017, 07:08 AM
Anamul worked really hard.. he deserves few chances tbh. He can plau long innigs.

Rinan
June 19, 2017, 09:39 AM
As long as Hature is there Anamul has no chance to return. Hature doesn't like Anamul attitude while batting.