PDA

View Full Version : Time for the rookies to step up!

MHRAM
June 14, 2017, 09:54 AM
Watching Pakistan play against England. Watched the entire Lanka VS Pakistan match as well. What stood up was the performance of the young cricketers in the Pakistan side.

Babar Azam- Already in the top 10 in the ODI batting rankings. Failed in tests and CT so far but he is a serious talent
Fakhar- He is playing the role we want Soumya to play but Soumya just chickens out whenever bowler bowls a few difficult deliveries. Such confidence from this man, no fear whatsoever. He gives the bowler the kitchen swing. Doesn't hold back.
Hasan Ali: Best bowler in the competition so far, I need not emphasize upon how good this guy is. Matchwinner. Potential player of the tournament.
Shadab Khan: Another youngster beauty! Really good bowler, can also bat.
Fahim Ashraf: Performed really well against Lanka.Also demolished our bowling in the Finals

Soumya, Sabbir, Mosaddek, 3 of the rookie batsman that we have debuted in the last 3 years. The only other batsman we have introduced in the same period is Liton Das, Nurul and Shanto. Liton and Nurul have disappointed whilst Shanto was just there for acclimatization.

But Soumya, Sabbir, Mosaddek have gotten a good for quite some time. Especially Soumya ans Sabbir.

Soumya so far has shown some good performances, but his best innings were while chasing sub-par totals against Ireland, SA or Pak. Hasn't delivered while chasing a big score ever. Also, he hasn't performed in the 2016 WT20, and CT so far. He needs to perform. Management has given him so many oppurtunities

Sabbir, one of the biggest dissappointments ever. He is solely in the team for his batting, and a bit of fielding. He has seldom performed and even when he looked good he didn't go on to score big. A few good 50s here and there has been it. A player whose off-field talks speaks 100 times louder than his on field performance. He mentions that Bangladesh can score what 400? But he himself so far has had a string of single digit scores for quite a while. He hasn't been dropped for almost 50 ODIs straight. Its about time he pays back the faith BD team has put in him.

Mosaddek, dont want to be harsh on him but lets be honest, he was a beast in domestics leading upto the national side. But so far, we have only seen a small portion of his potential. True, he is not a no. 6/7 but even in the oppurtunities he has had, however few, he has not impressed at all. I can barely count 3/4 decent innings of his. He is a good allround package but he is meant to be the mainstay of our batting in the future.

Next, Miraz, Fizz and Taskin - These 3 has shown a lot of potential especially during their debut but seems to falter away even a little bit since then. Need these 3 to really deliver when it matters.

I am a bit frustrated by the performance of our young talents. I remember in the past how the likes of Anamul, Mominul soon after their debut scored quite a bit of runs in their respective formats. The 3 rookies in our side haven't impressed. Infact, I feel that time is running out for them. Anamul, Litton, Shanto, these are all knocking on the door. If these 3 indispensable batsman - soumya, sabbir, mosaddek not perform, especially tomorrow then their days would be numbered. International cricket is not a picnic.

Same applies not just the rookies but everyone else.

However, it all starts with tomorrow, 15th of June, the ultimate semi-final against India. If Pakistan can make their way to the Finals(they should win from here) then why can't we? And they have made it all the way because of their juniors.

Remember what Shakib said a few months earlier: "Every player in the Bangladeshi XI have as much responsibility as anyone else in the side". Our seniors have been excellent in the recent years, but our youngsters have gone missing. Tomorrow, they need to step up and repay the faith placed on them by the coach. If we want to have any chance to play the finals, our selfie obsessed rookies need to chip in, each of them.

Roey Haque
June 14, 2017, 10:54 AM
Nice read. And yes, Sabbir and Soumya have done NOTHING in the tourney so far. Actually, that's not entirely true. Sabbir did give us some quick useful runs vs Eng without which we couldn't get past 300, but expectation is more from him. I don't think 3 is the right position for him, that should be given to the "world class" (PUKE) Musfekur.

I am expecting something big from Soumya tomorrow. It may or may not be his last chance to deliver this tournament. I hope he delivers enough to get one more chance to deliver if you know what I mean.

Rifat
June 14, 2017, 10:57 AM
Nice read. And yes, Sabbir and Soumya have done NOTHING in the tourney so far. Actually, that's not entirely true. Sabbir did give us some quick useful runs vs Eng without which we couldn't get past 300, but expectation is more from him. I don't think 3 is the right position for him, that should be given to the "world class" (PUKE) Musfekur.

I am expecting something big from Soumya tomorrow. It may or may not be his last chance to deliver this tournament. I hope he delivers enough to get one more chance to deliver if you know what I mean.

I am obviously a fan of Mushfiq, I think #4 is for Mushfiq and #3 is for Riyad.

MHRAM
June 14, 2017, 10:58 AM

You are right in the first match soumya and sabbir chipped in a few but we know its not good enough.

That goes to show far we have progressed that even someone with immense potential has his spot under scrutiny. But this also means that the boys need to man up and perform. We are one team who is over reliant on senior batsman.

RealSports
June 14, 2017, 01:54 PM
Sarker hasn't done anything in this Champions Trophy. He doesn't have the ability to play a long innings. Shabbir is a lower order batsman in ODIs. I feel Liton or Mosaddek could hold the #3 position.

simon
June 14, 2017, 04:35 PM
Now that Sarkar and Sabbir have turned into walking wickets why not giving them free licence to go after the bowling like Ronchi or Fakhar ?
If they manage quick 30 something then they can slow down a bit and eye a big innings.

MHRAM
June 14, 2017, 05:06 PM
Now that Sarkar and Sabbir have turned into walking wickets why not giving them free licence to go after the bowling like Ronchi or Fakhar ?
If they manage quick 30 something then they can slow down a bit and eye a big innings.

That is my point. These two never look good defending so why not attack from go.

Sabbir could bat at 7 and be useful to launch.
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition

jeesh
June 14, 2017, 10:25 PM
The modus operandi designed by team management seems to be see out the new ball, go slow first 10 overs, accelerate there after.

Makes sense, going by the trend of the tournament.

But simon and MHRAM's arugment makes sense. If they are going to get out blocking and leaving deliveries, might as well go on the offensive, unsettle bowlers.

icricket
June 14, 2017, 10:35 PM
Everyone needs to chip in. We need to play the game as a good unit. That way we'll have a positive result. Good luck Bangladesh. Our prayers are with you. :flag:

adamnsu
June 15, 2017, 12:47 AM
Sarkar looked so scared facing the batsman. Also he doesn't move his feet. Don't think that will change much. But India having a slights less intimidating pace bowlers he might survive a bit longer.

Don't blame Shabbir as he is being forced to bat high up the order.

Mosaddek is the only player to have stepped up. For me obvious choice over Mehedi.

Fizz still not fit which is why his line and length still not back to his deadly accuracy.

Taskin is a gamble. Still bowls many full, wide and short deliveries

MHRAM
June 15, 2017, 12:53 AM
The modus operandi designed by team management seems to be see out the new ball, go slow first 10 overs, accelerate there after.

Makes sense, going by the trend of the tournament.

But simon and MHRAM's arugment makes sense. If they are going to get out blocking and leaving deliveries, might as well go on the offensive, unsettle bowlers.

It works if you are Tamim, our current approach that is. But in big games you want to play to your strengths.

We shouldn't expect Soumya to drop anchor. If he feels he might lose his wicket, he needs to charge the bowlers which he is good at. Unsettle the opposition bowler, do something different. Whenever he is not looking confident, he doesn't use his feet. Need to be more deliberate about it.

Jadukor
June 15, 2017, 01:32 AM
When Sri Lanka chased 320, their run rate was hovering around 3 rpo in the initial overs. It is okay if we dont get off to a flyer provided the openers cash in and make up the dot balls later. I wouldnt mind if we are 15 runs in the first 5. The key is to get set and then go for the attack.

jeesh
June 15, 2017, 02:14 AM
The other day Shakib gave a perfect demonstration on how to bat in these conditions. I just hope the likes of Sabbir, Sarkar etc learned sth from that. Runs will come in these wickets, but you have to pick your time.

MHRAM
June 15, 2017, 03:29 AM
When Sri Lanka chased 320, their run rate was hovering around 3 rpo in the initial overs. It is okay if we dont get off to a flyer provided the openers cash in and make up the dot balls later. I wouldnt mind if we are 15 runs in the first 5. The key is to get set and then go for the attack.

We dont have the firepower to score 150 in the last 20 overs odd. Which is why Sabbir should also be batting lower down the order

SH Anik
June 15, 2017, 05:58 AM
Sabbir and Soumya failed again.

MHRAM
June 15, 2017, 06:53 AM
That's 8 innings from those two and they have been woeful.

This is why you want to go with players in form.

Anyways Soumya and Sabbir will be replaced soon if they don't do anything

Gowza
June 15, 2017, 06:56 AM
Chance for mosa to secure his place.

Mas_UK25
June 15, 2017, 07:02 AM
Sarkar and sabbir have to go!
Sabbir down the order or gone. Nasir is miles more reliable and trustworthy!

22Yards
June 15, 2017, 07:23 AM
Time for rookies to step down and bring in new rookies.

MHRAM
June 15, 2017, 07:26 AM
Time for rookies to step down and bring in new rookies.

I think selectors need to be bold. Giving free run to them will make them feel like superstars

These guys aren't superstars but the stardom is getting to their head.

Sabbir averages 26 in intl cricket. Mosa averages below 35. Soumya in last 18 months has been rubbish.

Look at other teams batsman and look at ours

Even Pakistan has much better young batsman than ours

zman
June 15, 2017, 07:48 AM
Never been a big fan of going overboard with rookies in the team unless you're going through a rebuilding phase or know for sure you've found a transcendent talent. We should not have more than 2 in the top 7, currently we have 3. Nasir or Kayes should've been occupying one of the spots to ensure better balance in the batting order.