PDA

View Full Version : A perennial heartbreak.

Sylheti_Beta
June 15, 2017, 01:48 PM
Cut back to 10th Jun, I wasn't following the Eng vs Aus encounter as I was busy prepping for my trip to London for the finals. My wife said, why don't you call up or send a message to your close friend, he may have returned from Germany to the UK for Ramzaan. As I sent him a message, my eldest piped in: Abba if Bangladesh don't make it through, don't be sad. You can still meet up with friends and family after such a long time. I muttered and kept packing my stuff. It now feels as though that was ominous.

12 June 2017 the phone rang, it was around noon EST. It was my buddy from London, he started off in chaste Sylheti interspersed with Cockney English words. He was excited, we would be meeting each other after 20 years. "Aao bhai tumi ibar, bejan bhala lagse shuniya je tumi aaitray. You can stay with me, Ruksana will also be happy to see you. Its been way too long. And we will watch the final together it will be historic." I too was overjoyed, as I would be able to catch up with folks and also catch my team doing the unthinkable.

Alas it was not to be the fairy tale that I had expected; reality brought me crashing down to terra firma.
BD boys went back to under-performing. Still I steadfastly, stuck with my usual drill of not commenting on BC when the game is in progress, though I was dying to vent when Tamim, Mushy and Moyna threw their wickets away. Mind you, I didn't say Soumya or Sabbir as I didn't expect anything better from them. But these three really ruined my day and possibly the next few days for me. I mean what in the blazes were they thinking when they played the shots that they played. The match was lost right there. A few tight overs and you lose it, is that the mental preparation that you went through. I hate to say this, but this mirrors the "kismat/bhagya kharap" mentality that pervades us as a people. Starting from my son, extending on to the BD team and then even further perhaps.

Why can't hold our nerves when push comes to shove? Okay, lets say the loss by a run (maybe) was a fluke. But what happened today and earlier in the tournament with India(below 100 score) is unacceptable. If I am to be blunt, this team lacks consistency. Folks may say that the team lacks fight, but I disagree. The match against NZ is proof of that. Why surrender so meekly when you have so much to give, so much to fight for? That's probably an answer I will never get. And so with a broken heart and spirit I will fly to London tomorrow, just to meet up with friends and family as my son had rightly remarked.

icricket
June 15, 2017, 01:57 PM
Don't know what to say to you about our team performance other than to enjoy your trip with family and friends, and make some memory. :) But I'm really pissed at the moment.

bujhee kom
June 15, 2017, 02:03 PM
Beta Bhaiyo...Haato bethaa paisi...

Asoon, Syhety Fua, khely zoubon-er zua!

bujhee kom
June 15, 2017, 02:04 PM
On a serious note, I am praying to our Lord for your father.

Sylheti_Beta
June 16, 2017, 06:21 AM
On a serious note, I am praying to our Lord for your father. Praying for my father ??? :-/ kita kou BK bhai bujhlam naa.

Shaan
June 16, 2017, 06:39 AM
Praying for my father ??? :-/ kita kou BK bhai bujhlam naa.

I guess he is confusing with someone else, lately someone's father from this forum past away. :(

Sylheti_Beta
June 16, 2017, 07:10 AM
Don't know what to say to you about our team performance other than to enjoy your trip with family and friends, and make some memory. :) But I'm really pissed at the moment.

Yep we all are, pissed that is. The reason is very obvious, its just plain vanilla inconsistency. We nicely like to ice that cake of inconsistency with toppings of; pick your flavor-

Kopal Kharap
Kismat Kharap
Bhagya Kharap
Din Kharap
And the list goes on.

As a people we don't like taking individual responsibility.
Khaled bhabe Ali korbo, Ali bhabe Reja korbo, Reja bhabe Imad korbo, Imad bhabe Masud korbo.....! Kintu shesh pojjonto keu i kissu kore na, khali bhabe. So when failure hits, its easier to use these aforementioned excuses and hide behind them than to look within.

If it were a closely fought match and we lost because of a dropped catch, a missed run out, a bad umpiring decision etc. Then these adjectives could have been used.

But it wasn't so. It was a spineless and irresponsible performance. The batsmen started sensibly(sans Sarkar) and then suddenly decided that the world was about to end; went haywire with their shot-making and paid the ultimate price. The match was lost right then and there. Even if I forgive Tamim, I can't forgive Mushy or Moyna, they played into the hands of the opposition. Given the glimmer of hope that Moyna had given us after the NZ encounter. I had hoped for a good 70 odd runs from his bat. Again not to be. Its a perennial problem, like floods and cyclones in BD, we get some respite for a few months but then its back to normal again. Anyway, those are the hazards of being a BD cricket fan. Let's take time off to recover now.

Sylheti_Beta
June 16, 2017, 07:21 AM
I guess he is confusing with someone else, lately someone's father from this forum past away. :(
No worries, no offence taken.

My Abba is hale and hearty, but very volatile now due to the BD defeat.
Barir lokjon sob khub shamal diya cholra :lol: the flames will subside by Eid al-Fitr hopefully.

By the way, it was my son who had said those ominous words- Abba if Bangladesh don't make it through, don't be sad..
I am thinking of stopping his pocket money for two weeks >:).

Austin 3:!6
June 16, 2017, 09:44 AM
First of all if you had decided to fly to London just to see BD playing finals...you are delusional. Lets be honest, the reason BD even reached semi finals was bcoz Aussies got screwed due to rain...else it would have Ind-Aus semi final yesterday.

But if you are flying to London to meet your friend and have a good time, then relax. Just enjoy the trip, its nice summer time here.

Also you did not lost against India because of "kismat/bhagya kharap". You lost because there is a massive difference in class between 2 teams. You were completely outplayed by India in all departments. In warm-up game where you lost by 240 runs and in semi final you lost by 9 wickets.. It was like men playing against boys. You cant lose by this margin due to luck. You lost against a better team...so no need to be upset. Chin up.

I know people (especially Asian fans) like to blame everything on external factors without addressing the real issue. Even in this forum you will see fans blaming Walsh...asking for a bowling coach replacement etc. Let me tell you something, you can hire 10 bowling coaches but still you wont beat India in a tournament atleast next 2-3 decades. That much is the class diefference between 2 teams. Infact, BD never beaten India in any formats since that 2-1 series win in 2015.

So enjoy London...enjoy the food & sunshine. But if you really though BD would reach Champions Trophy finals...you are delusional.

#FACT

bujhee kom
June 16, 2017, 09:47 AM
Beta bhaiyo, bhabsi tumi khoila...I read "my eldest piped in: Abba if Bangladesh don't make it through, don't be sad" as "my eldest piped in: Abba IN Bangladesh don't make it through, don't be sad...

Ai hai hai...Shuistho manushtarey ami aibhabey...boroi loijjar bephaar

I love you..

bujhee kom
June 16, 2017, 09:49 AM
That one is a pura Beyadop!
Emon ektaa Khamchi + thabra ditey iccha korey!

Mas_UK25
June 16, 2017, 06:11 PM
^Thats what they do, most them. Lurk around and only come online to bc to boast, trying to show nationalism given any sniff of a chance.Most of them have nothing constructive to add to in this forum in general topics, most come online to post in threads which relates to their team/nation and whenever they have a chance to make their team/nation look more better/superior.

The dude you quoted has been doing this since day one of his entry to BC.

Jadukor
June 16, 2017, 07:49 PM
Reminding folks about our forum rules once again: Do not use profanity (masked, disguised, or otherwise) targeted at an individual or an entity.

zman
June 16, 2017, 08:28 PM
I don't like this hostility towards Austin. He is just another regular guy who goes clubbing after games to have a good time. By his own admission he generally goes there to do some "leg shaking" and gets really excited to see certain guys. If you were to put the effort into "leg shaking" all night long and failed to even get noticed by the guy, how would you feel in the morning? Austin bechara na pare shoitey, na pare "shojorey pechon theke japtey dhortey" as BK da would put it. I'd rather he vent here and get his frustration out of the system than do something really crazy on the streets of London. Please try to put yourself in his shoes and have some empathy for a fellow human being.

Sylheti_Beta
June 30, 2017, 05:50 AM
I am finally back home after a very nice and festive London sojourn. I enjoyed the food and the sunshine.

And yes I was there for the final match @Austin 3:!6. I pushed my "delusional" self to the stadium to watch the final. I love a good game of cricket. I went there to watch a good contest, what I saw was a surrender by a India. The class difference was stark, honestly. India stood exposed with all its frailties and fault-lines.

Congratulations to Pakistan for showing true grit in the face of (erstwhile) insurmountable odds.
I see that you got banned as well, that must really suck :smh: in addition to India capitulating like they did.

Sylheti_Beta
June 30, 2017, 05:59 AM
Beta bhaiyo, bhabsi tumi khoila...I read "my eldest piped in: Abba if Bangladesh don't make it through, don't be sad" as "my eldest piped in: Abba IN Bangladesh don't make it through, don't be sad...

Ai hai hai...Shuistho manushtarey ami aibhabey...boroi loijjar bephaar

I love you..

Kunu shomoissha nai bhai, okhon Abbar mood o thik hoi gese.
The family will brace for impact again come August.:lol:

Yankees
June 30, 2017, 12:48 PM
No worries, no offence taken.

My Abba is hale and hearty, but very volatile now due to the BD defeat.
Barir lokjon sob khub shamal diya cholra :lol: the flames will subside by Eid al-Fitr hopefully.

By the way, it was my son who had said those ominous words- Abba if Bangladesh don't make it through, don't be sad..
I am thinking of stopping his pocket money for two weeks >:).

Sounds like your son has more maturity than you do :lol::lol:

Be a good dad, don't let your son grow up to be a Bangla cricket fan. Let him be happy in life. :floor:

Sylheti_Beta
July 11, 2017, 06:06 AM
Sounds like your son has more maturity than you do :lol::lol:

Be a good dad, don't let your son grow up to be a Bangla cricket fan. Let him be happy in life. :floor:

My son was expressing his opinion and I mine, all in good humor. Or are you reading in too much into my suggestion of cutting down on his pocket money :lol:. For the record he is working his way through college. And he will grow up and become what he wants to be.

Notably what was being discussed after the finals, was that Kohli has not been doing well of late starting from the IPL onwards. Or is it that bowlers are improving as well and Mr Kohli needs to play catch up. Let see how he does in upcoming tourneys. For your sake I hope he does well.

Hope that's a partial....err mature enough assessment for you.:D