PDA

View Full Version : Need to be mentally ready for big matches, says Mortaza

Umairee95
June 15, 2017, 04:19 PM
According to Bangladesh skipper Mashrafe Mortaza, his team did not feel the extra pressure of the occasion, pointing to the confident start that they made as proof. But he admitted that while his side have made tremendous progress over the past few years, there is work to be done if they are to challenge the more established teams in knockout games like this one.

"I think, physically or skill-wise we are not too bad. We are coming up still. But we need to learn so many things," he said (http://www.cricketopinion.com/news/dominant-india-set-epic-pakistan-decider/). "I think we have got to be a little bit more ready mentally to play this sort of match. I know once you are ready mentally, anything can be possible. I think the boys will learn, because in 2015 and 2017, both times they've been through the knockout system. So if you can go through next time, hopefully the boys will learn how to get ready mentally."

MHRAM
June 15, 2017, 04:22 PM
How much more do we need to grow mentally?

5 of our players already at their peak. Imrul and Rubel have been playing since 2009/10.

Reality is we won't get better mentally with the current bunch.

We need to improve our mental strength by improving domestics and having more A team tours abroad.
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition

6alltheway
June 15, 2017, 04:38 PM
Reailty is we played 4 matches. Lost 3 and won 1.

Reason we beat new zealand was we played them alot recently in similar conditions.

We are cat amongst the pigeons now but yet to become tigers. We need to grow our skill set.

bujhee kom
June 15, 2017, 05:16 PM
Reailty is we played 4 matches. Lost 3 and won 1.

Reason we beat new zealand was we played them alot recently in similar conditions.

We are cat amongst the pigeons now but yet to become tigers. We need to grow our skill set.

Totally right you are, 6AllTheWay brother...we are cats who are now just entering adulthood.
Now, check this out - there are many more steps/levels between us cats and the 'TIGERS'

It will probably take my lifetime to see our team to become Bobcats or Lynx or Ocelots...and I am 46 already, Tigers-eyes already 65...Dr.Zed Kazi 68...with my health condition our Lord may take me by the time I reach Tiger-eyes age...and I will feel extremely lucky to see our team turning into young Bobcats before I kick the can.

Around 2100 our team may turn into Pumas or Mountain Lions...another century they will slowly be limping into the shapes of Cheetahs or Jaguars...

Around 2300, when more than half of our sweet sweet motherland will be absolutely under salt water and Padma Meghna and Yamuna will all be blended with the Bay of Bengal or the Indian Ocean, our beloved team may become Lions and then slowly, I mean very slowly be turning into Tigers....By that time fluffin ICC will be known as International Cooking Club and people will know about cricket as an ancient long lost forgotten game of the Anasazi that is still being played in the WaterWorld of- and BPL matches between Brahmanbaria and Sylhet!

aklemalp
June 15, 2017, 05:39 PM
^^ I almost thought that you were gonna mention Sabre-Tooth tigers

jeesh
June 15, 2017, 10:50 PM
All of Bangladeshi wickets were brought about by a sequence of dots.

Whereas Bangladeshi bowlers conceded a boundary every over.

Kind of proves what Mashrafee is saying here.

Jadukor
June 15, 2017, 11:14 PM
We need to become a better test team for us to play at the same level as India did. A test bowling attack knows how to bowl to a field and deliver those dots. A test batting unit also know how to pace the innings, absorb the pressure of maiden overs and pounce on the bad deliveries.

We need to improve a lot more in these areas. Our pacers are not test quality and that is why we never win test matches through our pacers. Rubel Shafiul Taskin all are stuck at a mediocre level and i dont see how these guys will improve any further.

Against a weak bowling attack our batsman are good enough now but against a disciplined bowling attack we still have work to do.

Bharatfan
June 16, 2017, 12:41 AM
We need to become a better test team for us to play at the same level as India did. A test bowling attack knows how to bowl to a field and deliver those dots. A test batting unit also know how to pace the innings, absorb the pressure of maiden overs and pounce on the bad deliveries.

We need to improve a lot more in these areas. Our pacers are not test quality and that is why we never win test matches through our pacers. Rubel Shafiul Taskin all are stuck at a mediocre level and i dont see how these guys will improve any further.

Against a weak bowling attack our batsman are good enough now but against a disciplined bowling attack we still have work to do.

Agree to a certain extent. However, that's the case for the batsmen. All the current Indian bowlers are where they are because of the highly competitive IPL. India's death bowling has improved a lot just because of that.

Bharatfan
June 16, 2017, 12:46 AM
Tests teach you how to build an innings and how to escape traps while batting. They teach you how to play risk free cricket and play the ball on the ground. With due respect to BD, look at the shots played by Shabbir and Mashrafe today. They were either hit or miss or very streaky low percentage shots. Indians are also masters in manipulating the field and rotate the strike. 3 BD wickets fell today just because of the inability to rotate the strike and after a string of dots. Indians also have the hitting ability and power if they need to smash the ball thanks to IPL. To me these are the three important facets of modern day limited overs batting.

tanvir_nus
June 16, 2017, 12:46 AM

You made a very valid point. But it is the same bowlers that restricted Pak in a T20 match to 30 odd runs. I don't know what changed.

Also, who do we replace them with? Where are the next batch of bowlers? Do we even have a replacement for Taskin? There are so many areas we need to not only improve but make radical changes if we wanna become a lot better. The other side to that is, if we want to change the team with new players what is the guarantee they are going to perform? How do you know they are going to adapt to these new conditions etc! What if these players are better next times and actually learn from these experiences? Lotsa things to consider actually.

jeesh
June 16, 2017, 02:43 AM
IPL is India's Berlin Wall. Everything changed after that. Fear factor dismantled, confidence sky high.

Just about a decade and a half ago, Hasibul Hossain Shanto sent Ajay Jadeja's stump flying, following an intimidating spell.

Now take even an 20 year old Indian cricketer, pit him against Steyn or Morkel or Starc, they will sledge the bowler, then hit the next ball for a six.

But i dont disagree with Jadukor's point. Each and every one of these Indian cricketers have gone through very competitive first class cricket to have come to this point. We are still in picnic era.

PoorFan
June 16, 2017, 05:13 AM
Tests teach you how to build an innings and how to escape traps while batting. They teach you how to play risk free cricket and play the ball on the ground. With due respect to BD, look at the shots played by Shabbir and Mashrafe today. They were either hit or miss or very streaky low percentage shots. Indians are also masters in manipulating the field and rotate the strike. 3 BD wickets fell today just because of the inability to rotate the strike and after a string of dots. Indians also have the hitting ability and power if they need to smash the ball thanks to IPL. To me these are the three important facets of modern day limited overs batting.

Well said.