PDA

View Full Version : What is The Class Of BD Batting

ZaKi
May 17, 2004, 07:22 AM
at another topic we discuss about BD bowling. We have some world class bolwers. it's ok. But do we have any real world class batsman ? 1st classs na holeo 2nd class ki ase ? :-/ What do u think ?

fwullah
May 17, 2004, 08:55 AM
First of all, I don't believe that we have world class bowlers.

The pitches on West Indies are really suitable for bowling, especially our kind of bowling, so that's why they are termed as world class bowlers, nothing else.

Funny when Bangladesh batsman were batting in Pakistan, we were thinking that we had world class batting, on such good batting wickets in Pakistan, and now in the West Indies, we are meant to think that we have world class bowlers.

Nascer
May 17, 2004, 09:30 AM
[Edited on 6-9-2004 by Nascer]

BangladeshFan
May 17, 2004, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Nascer
Overall, our batting and bowling at the most are mediocore. But with hard work and proper teaching they can improve their technique and temperament.
But we are improving, there is no doubt about it.
Last 2 ODIs against WI was a real inspiration for us.
Since we are not used to winning, we couldn't handle the pressure that comes with situations like these.
But I would say we put up one very fine performance (1st ODI) and almost a fine performance (2nd ODI).
I suppose our coaches will have to work harder with our boys to overcome the confusion over 'shot' selection. Once our bats learn that we will be such competetive more often.

when someone gives catch behind the wicket it may mean poor shot selection but it also means he was beaten. Even tendulkar gets out giving catch to slips, it doesnt mean he select shots poorly, when the bowler can generate that sort of movement he is going to induce edges. Best and Edwards were simply too good for Bangladeshi batsmen....... and thats the reality!:umm:

billah
May 17, 2004, 11:14 AM
ZaKi has asked the million dollar question. We should really completely ignore "Bangladesfan"s (?) unobjective observation here. Batting is our problem no doubt. We have only won a match where batting worked.

As a genuine "Bangladesh Fan", I have very little respect for the so-called WI pacers, the pint size bunch of clowns that injure themselves even in walking. We hear so much about their fearsome pace at around 90 mph. Well, throughout the series against England, they VERY RARELY bowled at such speed. I saw them bowling at high seventies on a regular basis. Their discipline is just aweful. This bunch will not lift WI cricket if they don't learn quick.

As for our batting, the top order is a disgrace. Not for their lack of abilities, but for their old problem of poor shot selection. Prime example is Bashar's pull in the first ODI. Look at how Rafiq, Masud (1st) & Rana (2nd) played. If just one more of the top order batted like that, WI would have been 0-2 by now. After all, WI bowlers in this series, at best, were worse than ours.:)

[Edited on 17-5-2004 by billah]

Nascer
May 17, 2004, 11:40 AM

Arnab
May 17, 2004, 11:46 AM
I think the problem with Sumon is that that's how he always plays. He is an extremely lucky batsman. He is the prime example of the adage "fortue favors the brave." He is regularly dropped two or three times before he gets his fifties or hundreds. We don't say much about him because he gets us the runs more often than others. Same with Sujon. Sujon holds all the ODI bowling records for BD. Best bowling, Best economy, Most wickets. But we all know he is not the best bowler BD can produce.

Zunaid
May 17, 2004, 11:51 AM
Shot selection is the bane of our batsmen.

We know. They know. Dav knows.

And I'm sure our coaches have been working on this and other "tactical" skills (see McInnes' Article on his Matrix).

They don't appear to have learned anything new. Perhaps they are not capable of learning it?

This is what separates a good cricketer from a great cricketer and we have some good ones but no great ones.

- Zunaid

ps. From now on any posts I make should be considered my personal views unless I append the word "Moderator" after my name. In that case I will be speaking in my capacity as a moderator.

[Edited on 17-5-2004 by Zunaid : tactica? tactical!]

betaar
May 17, 2004, 01:49 PM
You know what, I have given up talking about our batsmen's tendency of fishing out side the offstump but I'll do it anyway. To most batsmen it comes naturally and I guess that's why they call it the corridor of uncertainty, but surprisingly for BD batsmen that corridor seems a little larger then others. To avoid this tendency two qualities can come into batsman's rescue, acknowledgement of his offstump with necessary footwork and a good eyesight that lets the batsman see the ball as early as it leaves the bowler's hand, unless there's late swing. The second quality could come naturally to some players, i.e. Ijaz Ahmed, but the first one takes tremendous hard work. Now, some batsmen can master this quality with less effort then others as they are gifted, others need to work hard. What I'm trying to say is that I think some of the BD batsmen aren't gifted and also have reached their peek, so it doesn't matter how much they or the coach works hard, it's all in vein. That's why I'm counting more on player that made it to BD national team with/ after Ash and Kapali, let's invest time and money for the future player, not for the past.

Ramond

SS
May 17, 2004, 02:25 PM
Third class!! worst class in test
arena.

billah
May 17, 2004, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by SS
Third class!! worst class in test
arena.

& bowling: First class, world class in test arena:)

AsifTheManRahman
May 17, 2004, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by ZaKi
at another topic we discuss about BD bowling. We have some world class bolwers. it's ok. But do we have any real world class batsman ? 1st classs na holeo 2nd class ki ase ? :-/ What do u think ?

our batting sucks - it's worse than kenya's or maybe even namibia's

Barrera
May 17, 2004, 05:03 PM
Every single batsmen that have played for BD so far have been ametaur

wasif
May 17, 2004, 05:46 PM
IN EVERY SERIES I HAVE A DREAM WE WILL WIN ..............BUT FOR THESE TOP 5 BATSMAN...........ALL OF THESE IS HAPPENING BECAUSE THEY HAVE BEEN SELECTED FROM NONCOMPITITIVE NATIONAL CRICKET SCORE CARD.......SO WE SHOULD NEED VEDIO RECORDING ATLEAST THREE NATIONAL CRICKET .......TOURNAMENT EACH YEAR ...... AND NEED TO BE CRITICISE EACH PLAYER BY COUNTING THE BATSMAN'S SCORE AGAINST WHICH TEAM, TYPES OF BALLER,VARIATION OF BALLER,DROP CATCH AND STRESS RELATED CONDITION.........BCCB IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THE BAD BATSMAN.......

reinausagi
May 17, 2004, 06:01 PM
Wasif's passion came through loud and clear. In the same vein, should we not gave Dickens a shot in the line-up for the simple fact that he has earned this trip through consistent performance in the domestic league. He just may be a Mohsin Khan for us- late to bloom, but once he did, how sweet it was.

Barrera
May 17, 2004, 06:06 PM
Your right Wasif, we need to do something about our first class cricket. Banglacricket.com XI would do well in that league. They have produced so many rubbish players, we might do well in that league ya know

BangladeshFan
May 17, 2004, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by Nascer
BangladeshFan:

With all due respect to your opinion and observation, I find your comparison to SRT and our own batsmen a bit naive.
There is a difference between getting beaten by a genuine swing and slashing at anything that goes past outside off stump or leg stump (as was the case with Sumon in 2nd ODI).
What our batsmen tend to do is 'khocha mara' anything that goes past outside off stump away from their body and without moving the feet.
If our batsmen get beaten by a very good ball, I have no complain against them. But it is the fact that they need to change this 'khocha mara' attitude if they really want to improve. Not to mention all these pulling and hooking the very first ball you face!

i also respect your opinion nascar. But the fact of the matter none does "khocha mara" intentionally. If the ball moves late or seams prodigiously it is always going to take the nick. I mean thats why the slip fielders are kept. Bangladeshi pacers were not good enough to produce that sort of bowling whereas WI pacers were capable of that.

As a mention to another reply I may say that WI pacers may not be as good as harmison or hoggard but they are still way better than bangladesh pacers. and I think when the test series will start it will become all the more evident. Cheers!:clap:

Nascer
May 17, 2004, 08:52 PM

fab
May 17, 2004, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by BangladeshFan
when someone gives catch behind the wicket it may mean poor shot selection but it also means he was beaten. Even tendulkar gets out giving catch to slips, it doesnt mean he select shots poorly, when the bowler can generate that sort of movement he is going to induce edges. Best and Edwards were simply too good for Bangladeshi batsmen....... and thats the reality!
It is a well known fact that our batsmen pretty much always succumb to poor shots from not-so-brilliant deliveries (if you truly follow BD cricket you would know that). This is something that has been iterated by Whatmore himself many times. As a mention to another reply I may say that WI pacers may not be as good as harmison or hoggard but they are still way better than bangladesh pacers. Umm. I don't think anyone is denying that. But it still doesn't take away the fact that our bowlers took 14 wickets in 2 innings which must be pretty hard reality for WI considering we are such minnows and all :cool:

Zunaid
May 18, 2004, 12:12 AM
Look at the bolwing stats after 2 games! :)

Rana: 12.25 (4w)
Tapash: 13.2 (5w)
Sujon: 15.33 (3w)

Amazing!

Of course:

Bradshaw: 5.2 (5w)
Best: 10 (5w)
Edwards: 10.75 (4w)

This series has been great for improving bowling stats for both teams.

As for batting, the only one that seems to be an outlier is Dwayne Smith at 64.

Next is Pilot and Powell at 36.

arafath79
May 18, 2004, 02:08 PM
If u really wanna have a world class Bangladeshi batsman just wait and see for few days. Aftab is coming and he will be a world class batsman like Arvinda De Silva. In the current Bd team Hannan, Rajin and Rana are improving their batting and they could become world class batsmen. Ashraful has got world class strokes and he should come to bat at 5th position when the ball will become old. Other wise Ashraful will be gone for 0 run.

reverse_swing
May 18, 2004, 02:11 PM
to me Aftab is another Afridi. We don't need this kind of batsman.

Barrera
May 18, 2004, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by reverse_swing
Al take Afridi anytime, man

billah
May 18, 2004, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by Barrera
Originally posted by reverse_swing
Al take Afridi anytime, man

Wish we had an Afridi.

arafath79
May 20, 2004, 11:05 AM
reverse_swing bro,
Don't say that in your life any more. We don't have and we didn't have any power stroke maker like Afridi in Bangladesh team. If we had any we would won the 25 over 2nd and 3rd one day matches against West Indies. Afridi is Afridi and don't compare him with any BD batsman.

[Edited on 20-5-2004 by arafath79 : mistake]

Ahmed_B
May 20, 2004, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by arafath79
reverse_swing bro,
Don't say that in your life any more. We don't have and we didn't have any power stroke maker like Afridi in Bangladesh team. If we had any we would won the 25 over 2nd and 3rd one day matches against West Indies. Afridi is Afridi and don't compare him with any BD batsman.

mmm...... u seem to be quite pessimistic!