PDA

View Full Version : Afghanistan and Ireland Are Now Full ICC Members

aklemalp
June 22, 2017, 09:42 AM
Voted in after a unanimous vote.

Ireland gets Test Status

IRELAND HAVE BEEN officially elevated to full membership and Test-playing status of the International Cricket Council (ICC) on a landmark afternoon for the sport in this country.
Cricket Ireland’s application to become the 11th full member nation of the ICC was passed in the last hour during the governing body’s annual conference in London.
http://www.the42.ie/ireland-cricket-test-status-3455578-Jun2017/

More to follow...this is breaking news

aklemalp
June 22, 2017, 09:44 AM
I think this deserves a thread all by itself...

They are now the 11th test playing nation.

Congratulations to our bro Donal and his country :up:

WarWolf
June 22, 2017, 09:50 AM
Congratulations Donal. Looking forward to play with you.

R0ssei
June 22, 2017, 09:54 AM
Wow, this is huge, especially for AFG. Tough time ahead for BAN?

Afghanistan and Ireland have been approved as Full Members by the ICC, meaning they have become cricket's 11th and 12th Test-playing nations. This was signed off on by the ICC Board in London on Thursday, during the ICC's AGM.

Afghanistan and Ireland's boards had applied to the ICC to have their status upgraded from Associates, and this was put to vote at the meeting on Thursday and unanimously supported.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci-icc/content/story/1105347.html

Night_wolf
June 22, 2017, 09:55 AM
This will become sour very soon if we see they make two tiers

aklemalp
June 22, 2017, 09:57 AM
A separate thread for this also...

Big move in the cricket world with the addition of Afghanistan as a test playing nation...

Hope we get to see more matches, played in a competitive spirit.

All the best :up:

aklemalp
June 22, 2017, 10:02 AM
Are they gonna play in their country?

Or will they host matches in India?

hoodlum
June 22, 2017, 10:17 AM
Big day for cricket. But I will not be happy anymore if ICC introduces two tier system

5tonne
June 22, 2017, 10:27 AM
Very good news. Congrats to both teams. I hope ICC now makes the 50 overs WC a 12 team tournament and let Ireland and Afghanistan play directly.

Kohli_Sox
June 22, 2017, 10:28 AM
Wow big news. Didnt see this coming. Well done ICC.

roman
June 22, 2017, 10:29 AM
Congrats to both team. We should invite them soon

godzilla
June 22, 2017, 10:49 AM
This is great news!

SportingBD
June 22, 2017, 10:51 AM
BCB should invite them to tour Bangladesh - we need to fill in our calendar with Test matches.

Bonglababu
June 22, 2017, 10:55 AM
I never believed they deserve this status as of now. Banglai ekta probad ase "mukut pora sohoj, kintu mukut er morjada rokkha kora kothin"..... Ulu bon e mukta choracche ICC...

Anyway, time will tell everything.

R0ssei
June 22, 2017, 11:09 AM
Are both nations still treated as "Associates" in getting ICC revenue shares? The new approved model doesn't specify IRE and AFG, rather shows $240M for associate members for 2016-23.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/story/1105328.html

Roey Haque
June 22, 2017, 11:12 AM
Breaking news indeed. You are a fine reporter Aklemalp.

Afghanistan's progress has been amazing. And Ireland was long over due anyway. Anyone who plays english county cricket is good enough to test their skills against other world players.

The more the merrier. Hope more nations become full members.

horizon
June 22, 2017, 11:23 AM
Congrats both the teams and Donal!

SH Anik
June 22, 2017, 11:28 AM
I never believed they deserve this status as of now. Banglai ekta probad ase "mukut pora sohoj, kintu mukut er morjada rokkha kora kothin"..... Ulu bon e mukta choracche ICC...

Same with Bangladesh in 2000 to be honour.

In fact I would say they're better equipped than BD 2000.

Let's see how they perform.. :ohno:

SH Anik
June 22, 2017, 11:29 AM
Congratulations to Afghanistan and Ireland :applause:

Kohli_Sox
June 22, 2017, 11:33 AM

BD would not be in this position if they hadnt received Test status. Test is essential for progression.

Faisal
June 22, 2017, 11:34 AM
Afghanistan and Ireland Both have better player than we had when got test status in 2000. Well deserved, hope Bangladesh invite ireland or Afg soon, it will be good contest.

SH Anik
June 22, 2017, 11:39 AM
There must be 1000s of Aussies, Kiwis and South Africans living here that we can ‘claim’ to be Irish …..god bless the granny rule. Where would Irish sport be without it

One Irish guy commented..if you know what he meant! :floor:

bujhee kom
June 22, 2017, 11:51 AM
Congrats to both Afghanistan and Ireland!
Play Test matches!!!

kintoo, bhitorey bhitorey ekdom shoijjo hocchey naa...Hingshai joley purey jacchi...kibhabey ora ei jinishta peye gelo...ekhon ki ora amader icc theke taka-te short feley dibey naa? Amra ki ekhon kom taka pabo? Ai hai hai...ami dua kori amra jatey beshi taka pai...aar Donal beta-r team-ke jatey icc kom taka dei...ora dhoni desh...oder already boohoo taka achey. kintoo Afghanistan-der rupee-er dorkaar achey.

Shingara
June 22, 2017, 11:53 AM
I am happy that Ireland got Test status. Not sure about Afghanistan though.. winning T20's doesn;t make you ready for tests!

aklemalp
June 22, 2017, 11:58 AM
Prediction: Rashid Khan will end his career with more than 450 test wickets.

I re-visit this thread in next 10 years to see if I'm vindicated or not.

Kohli_Sox
June 22, 2017, 12:19 PM
Prediction: Rashid Khan will end his career with more than 450 test wickets.

I re-visit this thread in next 10 years to see if I'm vindicated or not.

Thats the easiest prediction ever. Seconded

koushik
June 22, 2017, 12:24 PM
happy for Afghanistan
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition

Shaan
June 22, 2017, 12:53 PM
great for cricket, happy for afghanistan!!

RazabQ
June 22, 2017, 01:19 PM
Congrats Afghanistan and Ireland! Looking forward to Tests with them. As for Rashid Khan and 450 wickets - meh - you guys do realize that at the peak of his career he will never get for than 4-5 Tests per year right? Shakib at his bowling peak got how many Tests?

RealSports
June 22, 2017, 01:50 PM
I thought there would be a 13th team or something. I doubt Ireland and Afghanistan will get that many test matches against the big teams. Ireland might get to play 1 or 2 test matches against England, but that will most likely be against a weakened England test side.

Donal C
June 22, 2017, 02:07 PM
Words don't sum up how happy I am tbh.

WE FINALLY FFFFFFCCCKKKINNNNGG DIDD ITTTTTT

Historic, landmark occasion. Magnificent. COME ON YOU BOYS IN GREEN

Yankees
June 22, 2017, 02:33 PM
Congrats to both Afghanistan and Ireland!
Play Test matches!!!

kintoo, bhitorey bhitorey ekdom shoijjo hocchey naa...Hingshai joley purey jacchi...kibhabey ora ei jinishta peye gelo...ekhon ki ora amader icc theke taka-te short feley dibey naa? Amra ki ekhon kom taka pabo? Ai hai hai...ami dua kori amra jatey beshi taka pai...aar Donal beta-r team-ke jatey icc kom taka dei...ora dhoni desh...oder already boohoo taka achey. kintoo Afghanistan-der rupee-er dorkaar achey.

LMAO no need for hingsha bhai. Just be happy for the fans of these two countries. Besides any cut in ICC money can be made up by hosting bilaterals with these two countries. Our base is so strong that even matches with Afg/Ire will be sold out in Mirpur.

Yankees
June 22, 2017, 02:35 PM
Congratulations to Ireland and Afghanistan. Long over due for Ireland. I always felt a sort of kinship with them ever since Ban and Ire ousted Ind-Pak from the 2007 world cup.

Eoin Morgan must feel like an even bigger d*ck now that he has no excuse for still playing for England.

tiger1000
June 22, 2017, 02:55 PM
Congrats Afghanistan and Ireland! Looking forward to Tests with them. As for Rashid Khan and 450 wickets - meh - you guys do realize that at the peak of his career he will never get for than 4-5 Tests per year right? Shakib at his bowling peak got how many Tests?

They'll get more matches than us, I promise you that

Also rashid is already in his peak in his mid 20's I would guess, so perfect timing for him to make test debut

SH Anik
June 22, 2017, 03:13 PM
They'll get more matches than us, I promise you that

Also rashid is already in his peak in his mid 20's I would guess, so perfect timing for him to make test debut

We played hell lot of tests in our early venture into test arena around early 2000s.

And by the way Rashid is around 19 at the moment :D

aklemalp
June 22, 2017, 03:16 PM
For their inaugural test match, both teams should play each other.

WarWolf
June 22, 2017, 04:28 PM
We played hell lot of tests in our early venture into test arena around early 2000s.

And by the way Rashid is around 19 at the moment :D

Rashid is early teenager.

Mauryan
June 22, 2017, 04:40 PM
Congratulations to both teams. I feel really happy for them. Bangladesh should tour both teams as soon as possible and as much as they can. Will get us used to european and uae condtions

horizon
June 22, 2017, 04:47 PM
Ireland will host New Zealand and Bangladesh at home and travel to Afghanistan and England in 2020-21. In the next phase, Ireland will host South Africa and Zimbabwe while travelling to the West Indies and the 13th-ranked side.
Afghanistan will play two ODI series at home against Pakistan and Ireland in 2020-21. They will travel to Bangladesh and Sri Lanka for away tours. Across 2021-22, Afghanistan will host Australia and the 13th-ranked country and play in India and Zimbabwe for away series.

Mandela
June 22, 2017, 05:02 PM
Thats the easiest prediction ever. Seconded

Maximum 150 wickets. Even for that he won't play enough tests.

Gowza
June 22, 2017, 05:43 PM
Congrats to both teams! Great day!

aklemalp
June 22, 2017, 05:44 PM
70 tests is enough for Rashid Khan to reach 450 wickets

anon4567
June 22, 2017, 06:25 PM
Now Eoin Morgan should return to Ireland, to even things out with Afghanistan.

Tbh I would not mind a two-tier system, as long as India, Australia and England are not exempt from relegation as previously suggested. I think a two-tier system is good for us.

anon4567
June 22, 2017, 06:29 PM
70 tests is enough for Rashid Khan to reach 450 wickets

He will never play 70 tests in his life time. Afghanistan doesn't even have their own home venue, and it took us almost 2 decades to reach 100 matches since our test status.

Roni_uk
June 22, 2017, 06:30 PM
Congratulations but do they even play first class 4 or 5 day matches? If not, they will struggle for a long time. Lets get them over to BD for some practise matches.

aklemalp
June 22, 2017, 06:37 PM
He will never play 70 tests in his life time. Afghanistan doesn't even have their own home venue, and it took us almost 2 decades to reach 100 matches since our test status.

It's 2017
Not 2000

Bonglababu
June 22, 2017, 07:15 PM
So, that means from now on, there is a strong possibility of having 1/2 test playing nations missing out in ODI World Cup. isn't it?

Gowza
June 22, 2017, 07:25 PM
Congratulations but do they even play first class 4 or 5 day matches? If not, they will struggle for a long time. Lets get them over to BD for some practise matches.

Don't the Irish have a first class comp? For some reason I thought Afghanistan did as well but could be wrong.

brockley
June 22, 2017, 07:26 PM
Congrats Donal.:)
Progress being made i see.

aklemalp
June 22, 2017, 08:02 PM
I really hope that these teams will play more tests per year that what is the norm righr now.....

Looking forward to that five-test series versus Bangladesh

MohammedC
June 22, 2017, 08:30 PM
Good luck to both Ireland and Afghanistan.

Mas_UK25
June 22, 2017, 08:48 PM
Very happy for Afghanistan. Another asian brotherly nation to test and subcontinent/South Asia cricket grows. Congrats to Both Ireland and Afghanistan.

About time ICC did hand it to them. Hoping the number of test reaches to 14 one day. Maybe Nepal and Scotland? Who knows. One thing for sure, now many other nations will be inspired to push harder!

DinRaat.
June 22, 2017, 08:54 PM
Very happy for Afghanistan. Another asian brotherly nation to test and subcontinent/South Asia cricket grows. Congrats to Both Ireland and Afghanistan.

About time ICC did hand it to them. Hoping the number of test reaches to 14 one day. Maybe Nepal and Scotland? Who knows. One thing for sure, now many other nations will be inspired to push harder!

Scotland or nethersland should get it next

Mas_UK25
June 22, 2017, 09:16 PM
Scotland or nethersland should get it next

They'll have to earn it, not any charity test status. I think Scotland and Nepal has has the sort of more cricket following population enough and will be able to bring more cricketers in future than Dutch side which has mostly non-dutch players.

anon4567
June 22, 2017, 09:50 PM
It's 2017
Not 2000

It's still the same for us. We get no where near as many invites to test series overseas as the top 8 teams.

I'd imagine the same would be true for Afghanistan and Ireland.

MalikBro
June 22, 2017, 10:29 PM

Afghanistan has its own home venue. It is called Peshawar. Afghanistan cricket didn't get to where it is at by nothing.

horizon
June 22, 2017, 10:34 PM
Afghanistan has its own home venue. It is called Peshawar. Afghanistan cricket didn't get to where it is at by nothing.

Currently Afghan home venue is Noida, India.

brockley
June 22, 2017, 11:02 PM
They said in Foxtel UAE,but gather they got their facts wrong.

Ajfar
June 22, 2017, 11:16 PM
This will become sour very soon if we see they make two tiers

It's a matter of when not if. Think about it, we can barely get England, Australia, India to play us and we have a pretty decent market in BD. The only reason top 3 would agree to something like this is if they already know this won't harm them financially. Playing Ireland, Afghanistan won't help them financially.

Pakman
June 23, 2017, 03:27 AM
This is a very good initiative although it should have been done long ago but anyway this may prove to be the first step to dissolve the centralized power in ICC.
More teams means more exciting players to watch and hence more interest in cricket.

jeesh
June 23, 2017, 05:56 AM
So when can we invite them for tours :D

iDumb
June 23, 2017, 06:19 AM
I thought test cricket was dying.

I agree about 2 tier coming up...

I don't like this at all. but good for ireland and afghan.

anon4567
June 23, 2017, 06:31 AM
I think a 2-tier system is good for us (as long as it is equal to everyone and only applies to test cricket). It's not like we are currently playing India, SA, England and Australia regularly in test cricket anyway. Whenever we are, we are getting our asses handed right back to us.

They should have an annual promotion-relegation system each year much like professional football. That way we can fight our way to the top in order to get more regular fixtures with other top teams.

Match Adda
June 23, 2017, 06:43 AM
Bangladesh need to beat Australia 2 test series by 2-0 for getting some points... looks like icc going to have 2 tire test system..
Also bd should invite Ireland for their first test match play...now bd , wi, srilanka, Pakistan will be more busy to playing more test matches...don't mind it at all.. except Afghanistan cricket structures?
But congratulations to Ireland and Afghanistan.. go forward

Match Adda
June 23, 2017, 06:45 AM
I think India will help Afghanistan here... especially given money for making their own stadium.

NoName
June 23, 2017, 08:02 AM
So when can we invite them for tours :D

Well...... you know its customary for BD to be the first one to give them test wins within a year :lol:

SH Anik
June 23, 2017, 08:42 AM
Bangladesh need to beat Australia 2 test series by 2-0 for getting some points... looks like icc going to have 2 tire test system..
Also bd should invite Ireland for their first test match play...now bd , wi, srilanka, Pakistan will be more busy to playing more test matches...don't mind it at all.. except Afghanistan cricket structures?
But congratulations to Ireland and Afghanistan.. go forward

Pakistan was always busy playing tests. They were also always good in Test Rankings unlike the Pakistan of ODIs(Still Champions of Champions :D ).

Donal C
June 25, 2017, 12:53 PM
https://twitter.com/BCBtigers/status/877929620288397312

Mas_UK25
June 26, 2017, 06:04 AM
Donal congrats your dream came true. Patience is key to any success as they say.

Now let's hope Irish gov also opens their pocket to cricket in Ireland, your not any 3rd world nation who just started cricket so sure there needs to he more investment made by the gov.

Another policy Ireland can use, is to get players from the county who have Irish links, also see if there Irish links elsewhere too like in SA, Aus. I'm sure, if there is links they will be able to play for Ireland? in UK, the football, players can play for country of birth, country of parents, grandparents.

Donal C
June 26, 2017, 08:15 AM
Donal congrats your dream came true. Patience is key to any success as they say.

Now let's hope Irish gov also opens their pocket to cricket in Ireland, your not any 3rd world nation who just started cricket so sure there needs to he more investment made by the gov.

Another policy Ireland can use, is to get players from the county who have Irish links, also see if there Irish links elsewhere too like in SA, Aus. I'm sure, if there is links they will be able to play for Ireland? in UK, the football, players can play for country of birth, country of parents, grandparents.

Our Taoiseach (PM) is a cricket fan and the government, president etc were quick to congratulate CI on the success.

The Minister for Sport and Tourism and Trade who was at the CI press conference made positive sounds about government funding being increased, and apparently talks are in place for a 6 millions euro stadium at Malahide being erected

http://www.cricketeurope.com/DATABASE/ARTICLES2017/articles/000039/003969.shtml

The government may, note I say may, actually invest in cricket significantly more purely due to the insane amount of viewers from India and elsewhere it attracts. A big stage to market the country in, especially when Indian middle class is performing so well nowadays.

SH Anik
June 26, 2017, 08:31 AM
Great insight to Ireland's Cricket struggles and then turn over in 21st century. Strangely enough it was the most popular sport in the country back in 1870s.

In 1901, the G.A.A. prohibited those who played, or even watched, “foreign” sports like cricket from playing in Gaelic sports, a ban that was not revoked until 1971. So great was the resentment toward cricket that Eamon de Valera, a leading figure in the Irish independence movement and later the country’s president, once dropped a cricket bat he was playing with instead of being photographed with it...The sport was seen as a niche, middle-class and decidedly English pursuit; those who played cricket were disparagingly referred to as “West Brits.”..

...While trying to qualify for the World Cup in 2001, Ireland twice had to enlist a journalist covering the team to serve as a substitute fielder. The following year the South African Adi Birrell was appointed as the third full-time coach in Ireland’s history. On his first day, Birrell was handed the keys to a car, and told that the trunk doubled as the storeroom for Ireland’s equipment and uniforms...
More at - https://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/05/sports/cricket/after-years-in-shadows-cricket-emerges-in-ireland.html?WT.mc_ev=click&WT.mc_id=2015-Mar-Outbrain-Intl_Aud_Dev-0302-0329&_r=0&ad-keywords=IntlAudDev

mufi_02
June 26, 2017, 09:37 AM
okay excuse my ignorance but I have a question about Ireland. So there are 2 Irelands - Northern Ireland and Republic of Ireland.

So when we think of IRE, which one are we referring to? Are they the same country or is Northern Ire part of England? This UK structure is very confusing.

SH Anik
June 26, 2017, 09:52 AM
okay excuse my ignorance but I have a question about Ireland. So there are 2 Irelands - Northern Ireland and Republic of Ireland.

So when we think of IRE, which one are we referring to? Are they the same country or is Northern Ire part of England? This UK structure is very confusing.

The Ireland cricket team represents all of Ireland.

Only soccer and net ball has seperate sports structure in Ireland. Almost all the sports organization conduct players from both the part of the island. Cricket is also same. Ireland cricket represent both the Northern Ireland and Republic of Ireland.

Yankees
June 26, 2017, 12:05 PM

Republic of Ireland is an independent country which has nothing to do with the UK structure. Northern Ireland, on the other hand, is a country that is part of the UK, along with Eng, Wales, Scotland. Northern Ireland is not a part of England, rather both are members of the UK. Most people incorrectly use the terms UK, Britain, and England interchangeably, but they are not the same thing.

When it comes to cricket, both Ireland and Northern Ireland play as one and have one board, which is why that board doesnt use either country's flag but a made up one (much like the west indies).

Shehwar
June 26, 2017, 08:02 PM
Republic of Ireland is an independent country which has nothing to do with the UK structure. Northern Ireland, on the other hand, is a country that is part of the UK, along with Eng, Wales, Scotland. Northern Ireland is not a part of England, rather both are members of the UK. Most people incorrectly use the terms UK, Britain, and England interchangeably, but they are not the same thing.

When it comes to cricket, both Ireland and Northern Ireland play as one and have one board, which is why that board doesnt use either country's flag but a made up one (much like the west indies).

10 years too late for Ireland. They had a decent side in 2007.

MHRAM
June 27, 2017, 07:14 AM
Ireland where at their peak between 09-15. They have regressed in the last few years. That's a big issue because we may find out that they keep losing like us and not show any potential what so ever.

Do they have quality players in the ranks?

SH Anik
June 27, 2017, 07:57 AM
Ireland where at their peak between 09-15. They have regressed in the last few years. That's a big issue because we may find out that they keep losing like us and not show any potential what so ever.

Do they have quality players in the ranks?

Not very noteworthy :smh:. Afghanistan senior team is currently better than Ireland and also on junior level it's much better than Ireland at talent pool.

For all the success Ireland have had at the senior level since that seminal World Cup win over Pakistan in 2007, the lack of youth talent coming through in the decade since has been lamentable. A brief spurt was evident in the initial five years of that period. The 2009 junior team, captained by Balbirnie, that won the ICC Under-19 World Cup Qualifier in Toronto and lost the Plate Final to Bangladesh at the 2010 U-19 World Cup in New Zealand, also featured Stirling, Dockrell, Young, Thompson and Stuart Poynter. Chase, McCarthy and McBrine came through the 2012 U-19 World Cup team, captained by Dockrell. But upstarts like James Shannon, Tyrone Kane and Graeme McCarter have been briefly tried and discarded.

In the last five years, Ireland's juniors have been soundly outperformed in Europe by Scotland. They failed to qualify for the 2014 U-19 World Cup and only appeared in the 2016 edition because Australia refused to send a team to Bangladesh. In that small group of junior players who have progressed to the senior team, Stirling is the only genuine match-winner, while Dockrell's one-time mesmerising spin powers have waned so precipitously that he was cut loose by his county, Somerset, in 2015.

In contrast, Afghanistan's development system is thriving. Their junior sides have qualified for every U-19 World Cup since 2010. After finishing in last place in New Zealand that year, they made it to the Plate Final in 2012, finished in the top half of their group to reach the knockout stage in 2014, and won the Plate Championship in 2016.

(A Part of http://www.espncricinfo.com/ireland/content/story/1089428.html )

MHRAM
June 27, 2017, 09:17 AM
Just goes to show if you don't have any interest in junior level then you will struggle at the highest level.

Can't blame them much because in Ireland there are so many other sports already established rugby football hockey and cricket doesn't cut it

moinul_huq
June 27, 2017, 09:58 AM
Ireland's future will be in poaching Saffers, Kiwis, Aussies and Zimbabweans who cant make it in those countries. (Zims may leave for better opps).

icricket
June 28, 2017, 01:46 AM
Congrats to Ireland and Afghanistan for getting their test statuses. So happy for them and our very own Donal from bc. Wish them all the best on their new journey as a test playing nation. :)

aklemalp
August 1, 2017, 08:37 AM
Afghanistan currently in talks for their maiden test versus Zimbabwe.

Night_wolf
August 1, 2017, 09:12 AM
Afghanistan currently in talks for their maiden test versus Zimbabwe.

the venue should be zim not neutral venue like ind

aklemalp
August 1, 2017, 09:17 AM
the venue should be zim not neutral venue like ind

It would be hard for them to get it played in their country...but Zimbabwe it will be.

But that neutral venue in India, they would stand a good chance of winning, because of the familiarity of that ground.