PDA

View Full Version : Some Bangladesh cricket related tidbits ...

Fazal
July 11, 2017, 01:32 AM
While visiting Bangladesh, I had an opportunity to see the Big Boss in a private gathering. There were other big shots surrounding him and they were talking other things also (politics and other topics) besides cricket. Mainly I was listening, but didn't have much opportunity to ask him questions (besides two).

From the discussion (I was just the listener), this is what I gathered. Again this is my interpretation of his opinion, therefore I may either miss-understood or miss-representing unintentionally in some cases.

- He looked like easy going, intelligent and knows what he is talking.

- I think he said he doesn’t want to continue in his current role but plan to stay as director for his “love for the game”.... unless 'Apa' forced him to continue in the current position. ‘Apa’ loves cricket. When asked why he doesn’t want to run again for current position, he said currently the board is in good shape and any professional executive should be able to run it; as long as another politician (with no executive qualification/experience running an organization) come and screw up the board again.

- He said ICC was screwing up Bangladesh (financially) for long time, and no other executives in the past raised this issue with ICC. He asked them to explain their logic/formula how they determined who get what. When he asked, they first resisted and just said we have a formula... but with persistent demand finally they opened up the formula/logic and failed to justify why Bangladesh was getting so low. With some diplomacy and constant demand, now we are about to get fair share of the revenue (according to him off-course).

- He really like our current coach. He explained further, he admitted he (big boss) is not the technical SME on cricket, he has to trust on coaches, captain, senior players. But review the decisions and sometimes challenges some decisions and ask them to justify. While our head coach was always able to justify his decisions by explaining, the senior players rarely able to justify their suggestion/request/decisions. He gave an example: Mominul (his favotire player for test) just played one TEST (not two) against Sri Lanka. He asked the coach and the Head coach explained with examples about Monimul's weakness about certain type of balls by certain type of bowler. The coach explained that until Moninul fix his issues (by playing local games, warm-up games, few tests), he cannot be a fulltime test player in the team.

- He mentioned few weakness in the team that we already know: 1) Need another opener besides tamim; 2) A solid #3; 3) Fielding - that need to be improved; 3) Too big tail. He is concerned about SS's performance but mentioned anytime SS scores big, we win. Not too happy with Imrul (I will elaborate further), but may have to let him play as a stop gap if SS continue to fail. He thinks Sabbir has talent, but hates his stupidity. He thinks Sabbir suits better at #6. He said in today's world if we want to compete, our fielding need to be much better. He complained about the fitness of our players ( seniors as well as some junior) and Tamim, Mashrafee, Imrul, Al Amin, SS, Taskin were mentioned as the few culprits in fielding. He praised Miraj and Mossadek's fielding. He said every time our players go home after the series, most of them come back out of shape... most of them don’t take care of their body year long.

- He kind of mentioned the fraternity of senior players that is hurting the team. He said there are at-least 10+ young players waiting in the line who are all very talented and can easily replace some players in the team. He thinks Nurul is the best WK followed by Litton, But Litton is ahead of Nurul for his batting. We may see Litton back pretty soon (he didn’t said that, but that was my impression). He realize Mushfiq's below average WK, but he is irreplaceable for his batting, the management is struggling to make a room for Litton/Nururl for Wicket Keeping. Mashraffi has a huge fan base, and they are putting lot of pressure on management NOT to drop him. Recently he had a one-on-one meeting with Mashrafee and he asked Mashrafee when he plan to resign on his own term. But he think Mashrafee will not be in the team beyond 2017. He is not in 2019 WorldCup plan. However he mentioned that Mashrafee is still providing some value with the ball, but no value with his bat or fielding. Another BCB director (in the gathering) added that Mashrafee is picking up his overs during easy time of the game, so his stat looks better than real quality of his bowling (not exactly word by word, but that the message I got). Mashrafee also patronized to include nasir back, but the big boss explained that he cannot replace Opener(Tamim, SS/Imrul), Sabbir and Mossadek(his favorite) , Mushfiq and genuine bowlers; so Nasir can only replace either Sakib or Riyad. The Big boss asked who Mashrafee wants to replace: Sakib or Riyas to include Nasir? Mashrafee had no answer and he stopped with the request.

- Doesn't looks like he is a fan of Sakib any longer. He mentioned about this bowling (from “very good” r to close to “T20 rubbish” bowling), and batting. He thinks it’s not his lack of talenet, but motivation. May be he has earned enough and thinking about his retirement and that’s why his mind is not always in the game.
- He mentioned the 2nd SL test and how disappointed he was the way Imrul, Sabbir got out ( and the way Sakib was playing) at the end of the day. After the day he had a meeting with the players and asked individually to explain why they played that way, and none (SS, Imrul, Sabbir, Sakib) of them can justify their shot selection. He threatened that if they continue to plays like that, this will be their last TEST match (for some of them). He said for example, next day Sakib's game changed a u-turn in a positive way.

- He briefly mentioned that team discipline was a big issue before he took the responsibility. There was an incident where Tamim boke a table in front of past BCB chairman, and he was not disciplined. He punished Sakib for disciplinary reason and it impacted other senior players in a good way.

- Confirmed Al-Alim incident. He went to a massage parlor and tried to contact a bookie. Plus he created a reputation as a bad guy (there may be other incidents). Unless he plays extra ordinary, his days in the national team is most likely numbered.

- Really like the head coach and wants him to protect from other directors and policies. He recognize his contribution and trust him as a coach. Admitted that last FB coach was a good one. Not happy with the current bowling coach, trying to get Champaka. Also he is trying to get Kumble as consultant for spinning.

- Among the young players he highly praised are: Saifuddin ??(all rounder), Mossadek, Litton, Miraj, the last U-19 captain (forget his name). Not happy with Taskin's development.

- Explained why Mustafiz was not that effective i.e . still recovering. Doctor asked him not to bowl cutter (I believe next 6 months or so) even though he tried few recently against doctor's wish. He mentioned Mustafiz is a very good kid with no ego (with so much fame) but he need to be protected (from media and others). he mentioned couple of incident that happened during IPL where media asked some trap questions. After that BCB asked him to keep his mouth shut and he did that.

- Not happy with the media. Sometimes they create controversies out

iDumb
July 11, 2017, 01:49 AM
Good thread and good tidbits ... but I think he takes too much credit for things that may not be remotely affected by his actions ..

But I do credit him for discipline and he knows how to run an organization ...

His words mostly I feel like has one theme ..that he is the boss and nothing goes past him or without his approval ..... it served him well so far as he surrounded himself with some right staff .

tonoy
July 11, 2017, 02:00 AM
The guy always kind of gives off a Trump like aura. That could be a good or a bad thing I guess.

bujhee kom
July 11, 2017, 05:09 AM
Fazal mama,

This is fantastic...great amount of information and and team news you brought for us that we otherwise wouldn't come to know. Thank you so very much. This is super!

Al-Amin...Beta, Massage Parlor!...hmmm so there was no, "Bhaat khaitey gesilaam...amkey WC team theikey tariye diechey" bullcrap!
BTW FAZAl mama, which massage parlor, any info on that please?

mufi_02
July 11, 2017, 06:27 AM
Interesting titty bitty. But ami jante chai apni boss er eto kache kemne gelen?

Glad that he recognized some key problems - no # 3, long tail etc.

But why champaka??

MHRAM
July 11, 2017, 07:05 AM
Big boss so far has had the best knowledge of cricket among recent presidents. He was so professional

But I hoped he was more proactive and arranged much more cricket be it against associate teams. Why can't we invite Ireland over? Let's invite Netherlands and Scotland
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition

Shadow
July 11, 2017, 07:13 AM
That's some really detailed information you collected, Fazal bhai. Good to know the views of Papon about our crickters. That guy really talks a lot.

Al-Amin...Beta, Massage Parlor!...hmmm so there was no, "Bhaat khaitey gesilaam...amkey WC team theikey tariye diechey" bullcrap!

So his story of having rice with begun bhorta, Mug dal and goru bhuna in downtown Brisbane was a lie all along.

Shubho
July 11, 2017, 08:35 AM
First of all, excellent intelligence report by Fazal. The insights are superb.

However, what the Sam Hill is Papoinna doing divulging all this information within earshot of non-BCB directors? How is that professional?

PoorFan
July 11, 2017, 08:42 AM
'Private Gathering' lost its 'Privacy' big time, job well done Fazal in every meaning.

roman
July 11, 2017, 09:06 AM
Glad to hear that he is not pleased with Walsh. But how come Champaka's name is even coming into discussion? That is terrifying.

Thank you for sharing all these with us btw :)

Fazal
July 11, 2017, 09:07 AM
However, what the Sam Hill is Papoinna doing divulging all this information within earshot of non-BCB directors? How is that professional?

'Private Gathering' lost its 'Privacy' big time, job well done Fazal in every meaning.

I had a guilty feeling about breaking the unspoken trust (I still have). There are lots of discussion on politics, his personal life and family not relevant to cricket or critical to past and present BCB executives. I decided not to reveal those as a compromise.

My intention was not to make the big boss more evil or angel. Its not about him. My focus was on the players and the team and what the BCB sees as challenge and next steps. However I must admit, after seeing the big boss in person, he looks like more approachable, friendly, relaxed and intelligent than the sound bites in the TV. Its the people surrounding him who acts as if they are talking with a "God" is the main problem in my humble opinion. bangalee tel marte ustad... that's the main problem.

btw what he said .... most of them we already talked about and is no secret.

Fazal
July 11, 2017, 09:13 AM

I had the same question in mind. But there were known murubbis and I was not comfortable asking that question. Tai question-ta chepe gelam.

SportingBD
July 11, 2017, 09:16 AM
@Fazal if you're a relative of big boss - can you please ask him to sack Walsh, Immediately. Thanks.

Fazal
July 11, 2017, 09:18 AM
But why champaka??

But how come Champaka's name is even coming into discussion? That is terrifying.

I am not familiarize with Champaka, the coach. Now that you guys are raising the question, I am a little bit confused, did I hear the name right? It's possible I may be miss-quoting the name.

btw when he said the name, someone asked why him? He said confidently he is a very good bowling coach.

Fazal
July 11, 2017, 09:23 AM
But I hoped he was more proactive and arranged much more cricket be it against associate teams. Why can't we invite Ireland over? Let's invite Netherlands and Scotland
It was not discussed. I should have asked this question.

I was not aware he was invited and not prepared at all, it was a pleasant surprise to me. Also the environment was not ideal for taking interview or taking one-to-one with him. I am not a reporter so I was not ready for it.

iDumb
July 11, 2017, 09:24 AM
There are lots of discussion on politics, his personal life and family not relevant to cricket or critical to past and present BCB executives. I decided not to reveal those as a compromise.

sounds like he was in a therapy session or something ...

He is the perfect candidate to join our forum .....

Fazal
July 11, 2017, 09:25 AM
Most of the invitees were close to him personally except few of us. For example the host knows him from his childhood.

PoorFan
July 11, 2017, 09:28 AM
I had a guilty feeling about breaking the unspoken trust (I still have). There are lots of discussion on politics, his personal life and family not relevant to cricket or critical to past and present BCB executives. I decided not to reveal those as a compromise.
Rightly so, I understand.

My intention was not to make the big boss more evil or angel. Its not about him. My focus was on the players and the team and what the BCB sees as challenge and next steps. However I must admit, after seeing the big boss in person, he looks like more approachable, friendly, relaxed and intelligent than the sound bites in the TV. Its the people surrounding him who acts as if they are talking with a "God" is the main problem in my humble opinion. bangalee tel marte ustad... that's the main problem.

btw what he said .... most of them we already talked about and is no secret.Actually, mostly I agree with Papon's view with our team and players, especially about SS, Sabbir, Shakib and even Mashrafee and his captaincy role beyond 2017. In short, I feel like he is the right person to lead the board for a cricket team like Bangladesh. May look like a dictator, may seem to be talking too much, but the passion and intent is there to bring out the result, that is most I care. No Tel-mara intended.

Fazal
July 11, 2017, 09:29 AM
@Fazal if you're a relative of big boss - can you please ask him to sack Walsh, Immediately. Thanks.

I am not related to him, nor I have access to him.

btw in the discussion, he kind of indirectly acknowledged Walsh's performance issue. That's why they are looking for new bowling (Fb) coach as well as another consultant coach for our spinners.

Tigers_eye
July 11, 2017, 10:01 AM
I am not familiarize with Champaka, the coach. Now that you guys are raising the question, I am a little bit confused, did I hear the name right? It's possible I may be miss-quoting the name.

btw when he said the name, someone asked why him? He said confidently he is a very good bowling coach.
No; you didn't hear him wrong. Our current coach speaks high of him all the time. Champaka Ramanayeke was SLan stop gap measure for some time before Vass. He was a work horse. He could swing the ball. He was BD bowling coach before.

He has coaching certificates from England and Australia.

Tigers_eye
July 11, 2017, 10:04 AM
Well done Fazal Mamu. "Mota guniya" dhorsilo naki? I mean "chikon guniya". Futchka, chotpoti, samosa, thik moto khawa hoisilo? Naki Burger King ar Pizza Hut!!! HHS.

SportingBD
July 11, 2017, 10:17 AM
I am not related to him, nor I have access to him.

btw in the discussion, he kind of indirectly acknowledged Walsh's performance issue. That's why they are looking for new bowling (Fb) coach as well as another consultant coach for our spinners.

Brilliant news. Hopefully happens very soon.

Fazal
July 11, 2017, 10:20 AM
Well done Fazal Mamu. "Mota guniya" dhorsilo naki? I mean "chikon guniya". Futchka, chotpoti, samosa, thik moto khawa hoisilo? Naki Burger King ar Pizza Hut!!! HHS.

Onek moshar kamor kaisee.... all those wrist band, off-spray are useless. Kintu kopal bhalo.

No bruger king? Naah.
Kaboob, mogoj, Koliza, paya, kaachchi biriani... from all different places including star, dhan-shiri, and other less known places. Plus Fuchka in the 3rd floor of Pink city plus some relatively expensive places, some daal bhat, bahji, chicken, Golda chinri, etc cooked in lakree chula, fresh made muri in a small resort (not the expensive one's), Daab, Taal, Lotcon, Lichee, mango, and other local fruits. different type of pithas (chita, bhapa, chrispi pitha decorated pitha with chinir shira, chitol(??) pitha, some other type I dont know the name, doi, all kind of misti...ummmm

Food wise.... it was GREAT !!! But the bad thing is: gained approx 7 pounds.

kalpurush
July 11, 2017, 10:30 AM
Fazal mamu, a wonderful thread you have presented us. Thank you :)

I new about Al Amin issues...and match all the way with Boss's info.

I have an opportunity to meet him way back in early 90's ... while he was living in CTG - was thin, young and very polite person - I must say he is a good soul as far I knew.

Thank you Fazal bhai again for all the detail info about our cricket and I agree most of them with boss as well. Good days ahead of us ... I believe :flag:

Rifat
July 11, 2017, 10:43 AM
Many people will disagree with me here, Big Boss definitely has his flaws, but he is the by far the best BCB President ever, if not one of the best.

Only thing i disagree with him on is the exclusion of Nasir and favoring Mosaddek in ODI's. Mosaddek is more of a #3-#5 not a finisher and more suited for Tests.

Also disagree with him on Mashrafee.

NoName
July 11, 2017, 10:44 AM
Wow great thread!

Tigers_eye
July 11, 2017, 04:16 PM
Onek moshar kamor kaisee.... all those wrist band, off-spray are useless. Kintu kopal bhalo.

No bruger king? Naah.
Kaboob, mogoj, Koliza, paya, kaachchi biriani... from all different places including star, dhan-shiri, and other less known places. Plus Fuchka in the 3rd floor of Pink city plus some relatively expensive places, some daal bhat, bahji, chicken, Golda chinri, etc cooked in lakree chula, fresh made muri in a small resort (not the expensive one's), Daab, Taal, Lotcon, Lichee, mango, and other local fruits. different type of pithas (chita, bhapa, chrispi pitha decorated pitha with chinir shira, chitol(??) pitha, some other type I dont know the name, doi, all kind of misti...ummmm

Food wise.... it was GREAT !!! But the bad thing is: gained approx 7 pounds.7 pounds means 10 days in the gym. HHS. Ei gorom kaley pitha? wow!!!

Great that you had enjoyed your stay.

By the way guys, please pray for Akabir77 from Kansas City. He went to Dhaka and had the dreaded chicon gunia. I am not sure if he had fully recovered as of now. May he recover ASAP.

Roey Haque
July 12, 2017, 08:50 AM
Fazal's a whistle blower. And I like it.

RazabQ
July 12, 2017, 11:36 AM
Interesting tidbits indeed. Skippers are allowed to have favorites. The Trumpian vibes just won't go away. The whole "I will bring discipline because grown *** players are not capable of doing so" In the whole conversation I did not hear any mention of process, metrics or system. For e.g. "so-n-so went to a massage parlor, even though he was briefed on a-b-c, and then when given his due process could not provide sufficient explanation". Also about that fitness - just read a PA article where the players DID maintain fitness even during the Eid break. I'm pretty sure it was NOT because they were scared of Papon.
Anyway, we live in an imperfect world. [বাংলা]নাই মামার চেয়ে কানা মামা ভালো[/বাংলা]. Keep up the tidbit gathering Fazal.

Fazal
July 12, 2017, 12:06 PM
We don't have to agree with the big boss in every issue and that's fare and square.

However I have an obligation to restate some of my comments to make it clear:

- It was not a formal meeting, it was informal discussion among his close friends/associates. Nobody challenged his comments and therefore there was no hard counter questions. And there was no professional reporter to guide the discussion, the discussion flowed from one topic to another like a casual family gathering.

- About physical fitness issue. He mentioned that the physio often complained to him about that (players get unfit during the off period), and he agreed with the physio.

And my observation (watching recent game) : fielding went down in recent time. Fitness of some payers went down (except for Tamim, who looks like little bit better but not great. So what he said looks consistent to me. Now PA also reported hate crime against Tamim's wife. PA does not always report correctly. Also whatever PA is saying doesn't contradict with big boss's comment. Big boss said about past, PA saying about present (Eid). Hopefully PA is right and things changed for good for whatever reason.

Again we can disagree with big boss, we may think he did a bad job so far... but as I shared some information... I just wanted to make sure big boss in not un-fairly represented by me.

bujhee kom
July 12, 2017, 02:59 PM
Ji...Khub Interesting...bisesh korey regarding that Massage Parlor...
It is actually very healthy to get regular massages.

Tigers_eye
July 12, 2017, 03:14 PM
T_E: Body'r kon ogsho message shobchey bhalo?
BK: Jodi beta hoi taholey ghar, pith. Kustigir message.

ar Jodi beti hoi..... middle stump. :outbad::autlaal::outbad:
+++
Back ground'a gaan cholchey...pach foot shorir're 12 haat shari....

kalpurush
July 12, 2017, 04:15 PM
^^^ And I thought it's a G rated Forum!!! ;)