PDA

View Full Version : The "Who's Better" Thread.

Roey Haque
July 23, 2017, 02:27 PM
So, this is the "who's better" thread were we compare and discuss two cricket players from anytime in history, till now, including future speculations.

I will start if off.

Who's better? Darren Gough or Mashrafe Bin Mortaza?

( And I don't want to include tests here, because there Darren wipes the floor with Mash. Only ODIs :))

Anyone who watched cricket in the 90s know who Darren Gough is, the only staple bowler England had. 235 ODI scalps in 159 matches with 26 avg.

Then there is our lion heart Mash, 6 knee operations and still going, 232 ODI scalps in 179 matches, with 30 average.

Interesting to note, Gough also got by because of his skill even after suffering many injuries and somehow managed to continue till 2007, where he finally did not make the world cup squad.

Gough is 5'11. Mash is 6'3. But I always thought that Mash does not bowl like a tall guy. So both have very stocky actions.

Who's better?

cricket_king
July 23, 2017, 10:29 PM
So, this is the "who's better" thread were we compare and discuss two cricket players from anytime in history, till now, including future speculations.

I will start if off.

Who's better? Darren Gough or Mashrafe Bin Mortaza?

( And I don't want to include tests here, because there Darren wipes the floor with Mash. Only ODIs :))

Anyone who watched cricket in the 90s know who Darren Gough is, the only staple bowler England had. 235 ODI scalps in 159 matches with 26 avg.

Then there is our lion heart Mash, 6 knee operations and still going, 232 ODI scalps in 179 matches, with 30 average.

Interesting to note, Gough also got by because of his skill even after suffering many injuries and somehow managed to continue till 2007, where he finally did not make the world cup squad.

Gough is 5'11. Mash is 6'3. But I always thought that Mash does not bowl like a tall guy. So both have very stocky actions.

Who's better?

Just pointing out that Mash is more likely about 6'1" as I've spoken to him a couple of times. Either that, or I'm taller than 5'11".

I'd say Gough is the better one here simply because I remember him being a far better impact player, not to mention that statistically, he's also superior.

jeesh
July 24, 2017, 12:54 AM
Mash has been more consistent across a longer period of time, and hence similar wicket tally.

But like cricket_king here mentions, Gough probably had more impact. More pace, more oomph factor, good with new ball, old ball, yorkers.

But the early Mash or at least the one who played around 2000-01 was quite special.

bujhee kom
July 24, 2017, 05:08 AM
Yes Sir, I agree with Roey, C-K Calvin Klein and Jeesh Mirza bhai.

Now I will go next. Who is better looking?

Kaan-kata Van Gogh or 5 foot 11 Darun Gogh?
My money is on the Kaan-kata one...
Why?
Because, 5 foot skinny Van Gogh caught syphilis from the islands and was mentally insane and
painted with Dari (beard).
While 5 foot 11 Darun Gogh was stocky and but still could not draw his own portrait.

Gowza
July 24, 2017, 06:55 AM
Mash quite possibly could've been better if not for injuries, Gough probably just takes it.

What about mike procter V Clive rice? 2 great all rounders who didn't really get to show much in the international stage.

Fazal
July 24, 2017, 10:14 AM
I am better than you.

Roey Haque
July 24, 2017, 12:15 PM
I don't have too much knowledge pre 90s Gowza, but you have Procter in your XI, not Rice. So I will go with Procter.

As for BK, I seriously think you are on something when you write such posts. And by something I mean weed. lol :P

Tigers_eye
July 24, 2017, 03:08 PM
Liton Das vs :facepalm:

Yankees
July 24, 2017, 04:36 PM
Who's better: Ronald McDonald or Col. Sanders?

aklemalp
July 24, 2017, 04:49 PM
Steve Harmison or Mitchell Johnson

Both of them went through a superhuman phase.

Gowza
July 24, 2017, 05:06 PM
Steve Harmison or Mitchell Johnson

Both of them went through a superhuman phase.

Mitch for me, his last run in the team he had that god fearing period.

Gowza
July 24, 2017, 05:08 PM
I don't have too much knowledge pre 90s Gowza, but you have Procter in your XI, not Rice. So I will go with Procter.

As for BK, I seriously think you are on something when you write such posts. And by something I mean weed. lol :P

Ah, but you see Clive rice never played a test match! Procter played a handful thus he is eligible for a test XI. Clive rice would have easily have been grouped with Imran, Kapil, Botham and Hadlee if he had been able to play.

aklemalp
July 24, 2017, 05:36 PM
Mitch for me, his last run in the team he had that god fearing period.

Haven't seen that manifested into the current crop of fast bowlers in world cricket.

Perhaps Starc is the one bowler who comes the closest to that level.

aklemalp
July 24, 2017, 05:37 PM
Who's better: Ronald McDonald or Col. Sanders?

Sanders is a legend who revolutionized chicken.

Ronald McDonald is fake!!

Tausif
July 24, 2017, 07:59 PM
Ziaur Rahman vs Farhad Reza :D

DinRaat.
July 24, 2017, 08:03 PM
Jahurul Islam Vs Junaid Siddique

Gowza
July 24, 2017, 09:46 PM
Haven't seen that manifested into the current crop of fast bowlers in world cricket.

Perhaps Starc is the one bowler who comes the closest to that level.

With the swing Starc gets at his pace it reminds me of waqar younis. Johnson had a different vibe, it was more fear of the bouncer and being roughed up I think, Starc attacks the stumps more.

Roey Haque
July 25, 2017, 04:34 AM
Ziaur Rahman vs Farhad Reza :D

Farhad Reza.

Ziaur Rahman will always be a hack to me. Plus Farhad was a good fielder as well. Proven. Farhad Reza was great in ICL league for Dhaka Warriors.

Gowza
July 25, 2017, 11:59 PM
Wasim or imran (as bowlers)?

Austin 3:!6
July 26, 2017, 03:24 AM
Shikhar Dhawan or Tamim Iqbal?

DinRaat.
July 26, 2017, 03:46 AM
Who is the better troll

Vahroone or Austin 3:!6

Tigers_eye
July 26, 2017, 08:03 AM
Who is the better troll

Vahroone or Austin 3:!6Austin wins hands down. Light years ahead of others. He is very good at his trade. :D

aklemalp
July 26, 2017, 11:26 AM
Who'se better?

Umesh Yadav or Dominic Cork?

NoName
July 26, 2017, 11:51 AM
Vahroone is just a cheap knock-off compared to the other trolls lol

Yankees
July 26, 2017, 02:05 PM
Who is the better troll

Vahroone or Austin 3:!6

Vahroone can only post when he copy pastes others. So here bro, I'm gonna help you out: "I'm not a troll. India # 1. BD sucks. You guys are jealous of our awesome team." There you go, paste that everywhere. Just make sure to insert relevant country in place of BD when you go to other message boards.

At least the diarrhea Austin leaves behind is his own. Plus I'm pretty sure he's a 14 years old, which makes him a prodigy. Hands down better.

aklemalp
July 28, 2017, 01:58 PM
With the swing Starc gets at his pace it reminds me of waqar younis. Johnson had a different vibe, it was more fear of the bouncer and being roughed up I think, Starc attacks the stumps more.

It's a good observation. Starc attacks the stumps more than Johnson.

I recall Starc getting a wicket in his first over many times.

Johnson in that period of his was used to rough up the batsmen, hence he was call the enforcer of Michael Clarke.

Fazal
July 29, 2017, 12:48 PM
Who is better? Sylheti or Dhakaiya?

aklemalp
July 30, 2017, 06:38 AM
Who'se better?

Umesh Yadav or Dominic Cork?

Just an interesting info:

Dominic Cork was the first English bowler to pick up a hattrick in tests...

I believe the next bowler was Matthew Hoggard against the same opposition: West Indies.

aklemalp
August 3, 2017, 09:55 AM
Who's the better SLA?

Herath or Vettori?

Roy_1
August 3, 2017, 01:14 PM
Who's the better SLA?

Herath or Vettori?

Herath is a better bowler skill-wise without a doubt, but I will have Vettori in my team instead, mentally stronger, can read the game better, brilliant fielder and a very handy bat down the order.

Yankees
August 3, 2017, 01:17 PM
Who's the better SLA?

Herath or Vettori?

Who's Herath? Are you talking about Herath Mudiyanselage Rangana Keerthi Bandara Herath? Be more specific bro.

Gowza
August 3, 2017, 10:11 PM
As bowlers, herath for me is significantly ahead of Vettori.

jeesh
August 3, 2017, 10:30 PM
In Tests, Herath better option. In ODI's Vettori.

aklemalp
August 4, 2017, 07:11 AM
I think Herath is a better bowler in the second innings than the first. Vettori and his variations in speed is more effective in the first inning.

Roey Haque
August 6, 2017, 02:13 PM
I will take Herath. I once opened a Rangana Herath appreciation thread. I think he is grossly underrated.

cricman
August 6, 2017, 05:37 PM
Better All Rounder (Tests)

Moeen Ali (Last 2 years) vs Shakib Al Hasan (2007-10)

DinRaat.
August 6, 2017, 10:07 PM
Better All Rounder (Tests)

Moeen Ali (Last 2 years) vs Shakib Al Hasan (2007-10)

Moeen Ali by far, Shakib is a home ground Bully, now the people are gonna crawl out the wood work and remind be about Shakib`s pointless 216 in NZ, well guess what. He didn`t win or draw the game for us. Moeen Ali is a good bowler and even a better batsmen

I remember he even opened the batting once.

aklemalp
August 7, 2017, 10:12 AM
Moeen Ali and Shakib were teammates for Worcestershire, back when Shakib went on that county stint...

Gowza
August 7, 2017, 05:38 PM
Stokes or Woakes? Suppose it doesn't matter that much, both should be selected when fit.

MHRAM
August 8, 2017, 03:50 AM
Moeen Ali by far, Shakib is a home ground Bully, now the people are gonna crawl out the wood work and remind be about Shakib`s pointless 216 in NZ, well guess what. He didn`t win or draw the game for us. Moeen Ali is a good bowler and even a better batsmen

I remember he even opened the batting once.

Shakib's bowling average in SA England NZ WI combined is pretty good.

Btw he scored quite a bit in SL and India or maybe those are home ground too?
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition

jeesh
August 8, 2017, 05:41 AM
Shakib was at a point outstanding with the ball. The series played in South Africa in 2008, he was just simply incredible picking up two 5 wicket hauls in relatively less spin friend surfaces. His coach/mentor Salahuddin had said, playing T20 has adversely affected his bowling.

DinRaat.
August 8, 2017, 05:56 AM
Moeen is the perfect example of how numbers / statistics can be totally misleading when analysing cricket. Yes he has fairly ordinary overall numbers but when you watch England play it is clear that he is on par with Root and Anderson as the MVP.

Quoted in PP.
This is a pristine example, such a good statement, look at Moeen is on par with the likes of anderson, cook and root when it comes to being a MVP, did you guys see that blistering 154 batting against the fierce Aussie bowling attack.
Shakib is the complete opposite, numbers are not everything Shakib is not an impact player. Just because his stats look good, it isn`t justified in crunch performances. In the SA-Eng series, SA were on a good course, Moeen`s hattrick came and simply took the game away from them.

Moeen is a very quiet achiever, his impact ability is often underestimated. Moeen has never complained about whatever role given to him in the Test team and his recent milestones are a fitting reward, one of the most selfless cricket players in recent times and may be a nice guy as welll.

Moeens ali`s hattrick is an outstanding example of a bowler with grit and batsmen with clear wit.
Please, don`t compare Moeen to Shakib. Its like comparing a Ferrari to a Honda Civic.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Y_COJdu-r_k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DinRaat.
August 8, 2017, 06:15 AM
Before I get bashed by Shaks crew.

I deleted my last post with statistics, because it was useless, someone out their will always find away to oppose statistics

Just ask yourself this, who would you want your child to follow

A guy that has a beard, supports Muslim movements such as Gaza and does charity work
OR
A guy that points at his dick in live television. And has severe disciplinary issues and thinks he is bigger than the game.

Just let that sink in.

I am waiting for someone to justify his act.

tiger1000
August 8, 2017, 07:34 AM
The problem you get is, you get people like above posting who actually don't follow English cricket regularly, so the frequent failures by some of their players are often missed, because the great matches are what makes the news.

It was inevitable in a thread like this, likes of dinraat sound start trolling.

fush_montor
August 8, 2017, 03:24 PM
Before I get bashed by Shaks crew.

Just ask yourself this, who would you want your child to follow

A guy that has a beard, supports Muslim movements such as Gaza and does charity work
OR
A guy that points at his dick in live television. And has severe disciplinary issues and thinks he is bigger than the game.

Just let that sink in.

I am waiting for someone to justify his act.
quick question: are we judging a player by his performances or by some other attributes? what does having a beard or supporting "Muslim Movements"(?) has to do with cricket? boggles my mind..last time i checked, the thread is about who is a better cricketer not who is more saintly

SportingBD
August 8, 2017, 03:31 PM
Just curious to know.. following from the beard post above..

Whose the best bearded cricketer (batsman and bowler) ever?

fush_montor
August 8, 2017, 03:40 PM
^ WG Grace (batting allrounder) hands down...gets the best beard award as well

SportingBD
August 8, 2017, 03:43 PM
^ WG Grace (batting allrounder) hands down...gets the best beard award as well

50,000+ runs in first class cricket.
2800+ wickets also.

Wow.:applause: What a player.
http://www.espncricinfo.com/england/content/player/13424.html