PDA

View Full Version : Bangladesh, a formidable force in cricket now

abherath
August 29, 2017, 01:47 AM
There is still that lingering feeling of humiliation when your established team is beaten by Bangladesh, especially in test cricket but that is just a ghost from the past. You shake your head, effectively shaking that feeling off too, realising that you shouldn't be feeling bad about it so much as you should about your own team's weaknesses or state of transition.

Yes I am a Sri Lankan, and yes, I am thinking of the recent test defeat and one day series defeat to Bangladesh. Looking back, I think that performance of Sri Lanka - drawing tests 1-1 and losing ODIs by 'just' 2-3 - was good compared to the subsequent disastrous ODI series loss to Zimbabwe and the on-going thrashing we are receiving at the hands of India.

As I write, Bangladesh is dominating Australia in clinical fashion. 133/3 in the second innings with Tamim Iqbal and the ever reliable skipper Mushfiqur Rahim on 76 and 25 respectively, with an overall lead of 176 runs with 7 wickets standing. With Bangladesh's well balanced bowling attack ready to take advantage of home conditions, I will bet my last dime on an Australian defeat. Such a win would be historic for Bangladesh only because they have not beaten Australia in a test before, but given the heights the Tigers have reached, this is only to be expected.

This Bangladeshi team reminds me of the Sri Lankan team in the mid 1990s lead by Arjuna Ranatunga, with the likes of Aravinda de Silva, Mahanama, Gurusinghe, Chaminda Vass and Muralitharan dictating terms to so called powers in world cricket.

Apart from a strong batting line up, Bangladesh has one of the best balanced bowling attacks in World cricket, backed by above par fielding but what is most important about the team is something else, something that Arjuna Ranatunga instilled in the minds of Sri Lankan cricketers. Let me come to that.

Years and years before Sri Lanka were granted test status, they had gone way past the level Bangladesh or Zimbabwe had reached when they were granted test status. So when Sri Lanka were granted test status, they had excellent, world class cricketers like Bandula Warnapura, Duleep Mendis, Roy Dias, Sidath Wettimuny, Ashantha de Mel, Rumesh Ratnayake, Ravi Ratnayake and D S de Silva. In spite of their excellence, the Sri Lankans were known as the smiling gentlemen from Asia, rightly so. They were there to play cricket fair and square and take victory and defeat (the latter mostly) with a smile.

Arjuna Ranatunga changed all that. He turned the team into a ruthless outfit, meaning business. They became a set of guys going out there to win and give the likes of aggressive Aussies (how can I forget Shane Warne) and South Africans a taste of their own medicine. The result - Sri Lanka winning the world cup just 16 years after being granted test cricket.

Well, the important factor of Bangladesh cricket I stopped short of mentioning above is that same aggression, that winning spirit, that self-belief.

I am pretty sure that apart from Australia, many other so called top rated teams will be beaten by Bangladesh in the immediate future.

Bangladesh is now a formidable force and I hope they are there to stay.

MHRAM
August 29, 2017, 01:51 AM
Thanks for your input. Great to hear your view about our cricket
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition

Yankees
August 29, 2017, 01:53 AM
Let's wait till the game is over. All 3 results still possible.

abherath
August 29, 2017, 01:56 AM
You are so welcome mate.

Thanks for your input. Great to hear your view about our cricket

abherath
August 29, 2017, 01:58 AM
Given the glorious uncertainties of cricket, I'd say you are right but what I say about the Bangladeshi team is in general and not just about this match.

Let's wait till the game is over. All 3 results still possible.

abherath
August 29, 2017, 02:38 AM
If Bangladesh manages to post about 260 in the second innings they's be in with a good chance.

Two quick wickets in this innings have changed the scenario in a bit still the Tigers are in with a good chance in this match.

abherath
August 29, 2017, 03:31 AM
As far as the current test is concerned, Aussies have pulled it back with a quick succession of wickets. Mehidy Hasan Miraz is doing the rights thing by hitting out which I guess he could do better than defending. The target for the Aussies should be about 275.

cricket_king
August 29, 2017, 03:44 AM
Legit jinx thread. If we lose from here, I blame this thread. And our players incompetence.

oronnya
August 29, 2017, 03:56 AM
Thanks a lot for the beaitiful write up. It's really a great feeling to see our BD team getting respect from other countries. I love Sri Lankan cricket, my second favourite team after Bangladesh. I just hope someday we will get players like Sangakara or Muralidharan :)

oronnya
August 29, 2017, 04:04 AM
BD cricket team must be doing something right in one hand to get so much appreciation from some gentlemen from Sri Lanka, India, West Indies in BC and on the other hand making some Indian fans sooooooo jealous that they almost spend their entire idle time in BC to bash BD team :floor:

(Should I start mentioning the names E-))

Austin 3:!6
August 29, 2017, 04:17 AM
BD cricket team must be doing something right in one hand to get so much appreciation from some gentlemen from Sri Lanka, India, West Indies in BC and on the other hand making some Indian fans sooooooo jealous that they almost spend their entire idle time in BC to bash BD team :floor:

(Should I start mentioning the names E-))
LOL why would an Indian be jealous of Bangladesh? The last time we played in Champions trophy...we have beaten you once by 240 runs and next time by 9 wickets. BD may have improved marginally but the gulf wit Indian team is massive.

#FACT

oronnya
August 29, 2017, 04:26 AM
LOL why would an Indian be jealous of Bangladesh? The last time we played in Champions trophy...we have beaten you once by 240 runs and next time by 9 wickets. BD may have improved marginally but the gulf wit Indian team is massive.

#FACT

Then why are you guys so interested in BD team and spend your entire day in a Bangladeshi forum. You have your mighty Indian team to take all your attention away from everybody. I just wonder what makes BD team soooooo interesting that so many people frim all over the world follow our cricket sooooo closely E-)

August 29, 2017, 04:32 AM
Then why are you guys so interested in BD team and spend your entire day in a Bangladeshi forum. You have your mighty Indian team to take all your attention away from everybody. I just wonder what makes BD team soooooo interesting that so many people frim all over the world follow our cricket sooooo closely E-)
Which Indian spent whole day in Bangla forum? Don't be ignorant now. There are hardly 2-3 Indians in this forum and most of them are Indian bengalis. Its bcoz of Bong connection. Hindi speaking Indians dont even know or care when a BD match going on.

oronnya
August 29, 2017, 05:11 AM
Which Indian spent whole day in Bangla forum? Don't be ignorant now. There are hardly 2-3 Indians in this forum and most of them are Indian bengalis. Its bcoz of Bong connection. Hindi speaking Indians dont even know or care when a BD match going on.

E-) E-) E-)

Jadukor
August 29, 2017, 05:12 AM
Which Indian spent whole day in Bangla forum?

My crystal ball tells me that person's name starts with an A and ends with 3:!6. Not entirely sure who that is but my crystal ball is never wrong bro.

DinRaat.
August 29, 2017, 05:38 AM

Does anything else other than **** come out of your posts.

Mas_UK25
August 29, 2017, 06:39 AM
I don't understand why this austin geezer never gets banned but our own posters get banned easily. We are good at dealing with our own because it's easier I guess.

Austin, adds nothing valuable even constructive criticism is welcome but all he comes here to show nationalism. Little do some mods see....

Try to go to their troll forum ICF, and try acting once like austin. Watch how their bharat army gang up on you, even their mods join in.

Mas_UK25
August 29, 2017, 06:43 AM

Bong connections? Lame excuse. They are Indians in our eyes. Connection or not doesn't make not not Indian.

As for you. What are you man? One minute your punjabi next minute bangali- what are you?

mufi_02
August 29, 2017, 10:09 AM
just ignore him.

on topic, good write up abherath. it is nice to hear positive words from a great cricketing nation.

Zeeshan
August 29, 2017, 10:24 AM
I knew it immediately he was speaking in general.

Thank you abherath.

abherath
August 30, 2017, 03:01 AM
There's nothing called a jinx in cricket. It's talent and temperament.
If you have a headache would you blame the pillow ?
..and didn't I say it ? Bangladesh won, jinx or no jinx.

Legit jinx thread. If we lose from here, I blame this thread. And our players incompetence.

abherath
August 30, 2017, 03:03 AM
Thank you so much mate.
I work from home now. I work for myself after retirement last year.
I ran upstairs from my study to watch the great moment - that plumb LBW. It was great to see the spectators celebrating and your Prime Minister was not let down either.
Well done Bangladesh.

just ignore him.

on topic, good write up abherath. it is nice to hear positive words from a great cricketing nation.

abherath
August 30, 2017, 03:06 AM
Mate, you already have greats like Shakib, Mushfiqur and Tamim.

Thanks a lot for the beaitiful write up. It's really a great feeling to see our BD team getting respect from other countries. I love Sri Lankan cricket, my second favourite team after Bangladesh. I just hope someday we will get players like Sangakara or Muralidharan :)

adamnsu
August 30, 2017, 03:09 AM
Ignore the likes of Austin and Eclpise. I have some Indian colleagues/friends who are amazing. Already sent me congrats.

You have to realise there will always be sour grapes like them from India/Pakistan, but lets not end up like them.

Lets be victorious and not belittle ourselves and not make lewd remarks like them

Mas_UK25
August 30, 2017, 03:14 AM
Have to learn to grasp the match from strong positions, well. Have the tendency to keep letting teams come back into it, by playing bad shots and getting out cheaply when it looked like we could score more and out bat an opponent out of the game.

Whenever bd finds itself in commanding positions theres always some silly collapse out of the blue.

A very good soild side in LOI all over, and test at home and subcontinent conditions (yet to be test outside subcontinent for years now), no doubt.
As there's always rooms for improvements. BD has much to improve.

bujhee kom
August 30, 2017, 03:20 AM
abherath, thank you for your beautiful and supportive post.
Sri Lanka cricket is awesome and very rich. Bangladesh can/will learn a lot from the Sri Lankan greats.

zman
August 30, 2017, 03:21 AM
Thank you abherath! Although you speak about the rise of BD cricket in a general sense, it makes me think you saw the writing on the wall with regards to the outcome of this match, coming from a nation that's "been there done that" in recent decades!

adamnsu
August 30, 2017, 03:30 AM
Thanks abherath.

We are still a growing Test playing nation in all aspects starting from the selection, fan to the players. We still need to learn from our mistakes and improve our standards. With the help of the Almighty we will.

SportingBD
August 30, 2017, 03:34 AM
Golden thread. What timing:)

August 30, 2017, 05:38 AM
Ignoring all the verbal diarrhea thrown at me by few posters, I wish to congratulate Bangladesh cricket team for a fantastic victory. They are indeed a formidable force now at home and will challenge all non-asian teams in these conditions who does not play spin well. However there are plenty of scope for improvement as evident from Champions Trophy and one would be naive to think otherwise.

- A Realist

Miraz
August 30, 2017, 05:48 AM
Welcome back abherath. Its always nice to hear from you. We are slowly but surely becoming a force at home. Still have plenty to do in away tours, but most teams including big Three struggle away from home. We need to make our home a fortress, and then gradually start winning away.

Good write-up.

Miraz
August 30, 2017, 05:50 AM
Austin, India is one of the best Test team, and has been one of the best at home for many years. There is no comparison with Bangladesh. We have had fair share of rivalry in the recent years with mixed successes. Surely more to come in the future and the results won't be always one-sided. I can premise you that. :)

MHRAM
August 30, 2017, 05:54 AM
We are slowly getting their but some distance to go.

cricket_king
August 30, 2017, 07:12 AM
There's nothing called a jinx in cricket. It's talent and temperament.
If you have a headache would you blame the pillow ?
..and didn't I say it ? Bangladesh won, jinx or no jinx.

Right. Yes. You were the ONLY person who felt Bangladesh are now genuine force in cricket. My chacha's mate's bhabi's brother's driver, Mahfuz, thought the same thing. I would be surprised if every second person in Bangladesh didn't have the same thought. Joto shob.

Vahroone
August 30, 2017, 09:32 AM
Bangladesh are now better than Lanka.

Australia should hang their heads in shame at being wiped 3-0 by SL last year.

bujhee kom
August 30, 2017, 12:47 PM
Right. Yes. You were the ONLY person who felt Bangladesh are now genuine force in cricket. My chacha's mate's bhabi's brother's driver, Mahfuz, thought the same thing. I would be surprised if every second person in Bangladesh didn't have the same thought. Joto shob.

Huhh... Calvin Klein...Mahfuz bhai kemon achey?

godzilla
August 30, 2017, 01:32 PM
Definitely a very good win but one question did pop up in my head last night, how formidable are we when we take out Tamim's and Shakib's (espacially Shakib) name out of the team?

Habib
August 30, 2017, 01:35 PM
Definitely a very good win but one question did pop up in my head last night, how formidable are we when we take out Tamim's and Shakib's (espacially Shakib) name out of the team?

Yeah, I also wonder how strong Aus would be if Warner and Smith are taken out of the equation. :)

godzilla
August 30, 2017, 01:39 PM
Yeah, I also wonder how strong Aus would be if Warner and Smith are taken out of the equation. :)

This question was in by no means a comparison with any other teams. It's actually a real concern. Younsters are failing from left to right. Beside tamim, top order looks like a dynamite, waiting to be lit up. Beside Mehdi, the others youngsters are not pulling their weight.

Zeeshan
August 30, 2017, 01:50 PM
CK, winner's high wearing off? :)

MHRAM
August 30, 2017, 01:51 PM
We are not letting youngsters like Litton and Mominul play in their ideal format