PDA

View Full Version : The next BPL team should be a Kathmandu franchise

Yankees
September 2, 2017, 06:43 PM
Nepal is a country with a population of 30 million. It's bigger than Sri Lanka and cricket enjoys intense popularity in the country. With Barisal dropping out this year, BCB should take a bold step and have the 8th franchise be based out of Kathmandu.

Why it makes sense?

Simple economics:
You are tapping into a market that has 30 million people, where cricket is extremely popular. Yet their team is an associate and not a very good one. They play very little international cricket and Nepal has no other sport really. So BPL will not be competing with the national team or with any other entity. BPL can instantly get more views, leverage that into more lucrative TV deals, and generate more and more ad revenue. Our players can gain a new fan base, and possibly even new endorsement deals.

Desire for home/away fixtures:
As we know, one of the issues with BPL is that it only uses 2 stadiums. We all want Home/Away fixtures, right? Well, the Nepal board will soon complete a new national stadium with a capacity of 30,000. With little cricket played, that stadium could easily be the home venue for the Kathmandu team. At no expense to BCB, BPL will gain a whole new stadium. Alot of the regions in BD don't have stadiums and will take years to develop, whereas Kathmandu is completely ready to house a team.

Logisitcs:
Except for a tiny bit of Indian land, BD and Nepal are practically neighbors. Flights from Kathmandu to Dhaka is only 30 mins longer than Dhaka to Chittagong. Eventually, when there is home/away fixture, logistics will not be an issue.

Kathmandu team:
Just to be clear, this would be a BPL franchise team based out of Kathmandu, not the Nepal national team. But we can have special rules in effect, like an inverted 5 foreigner rule, where 5 of the XI will have to be Nepali and the other 6 can be Bengali/foreigner. This will ensure that they will be just as competitive as any other BPL team.

Ownership:
Ownership can and should be a Bangladeshi firm just to keep things simple. Ideally, all the BPL franchises should be opened up to foreign ownership, but that's a separate issue. Baby steps for now.

I can already imagine the most obvious objections to this proposal so I'll answer a few below:

Why would Nepal agree to this?
Perhaps the easiest hurdle to overcome. Nepal cricket team gets little to no games. Yet it has an intense popularity. Imagine channeling that passion to a team based out of your capital, representing you. And you also get to cheer on your best players. It will not infringe or compete with the national team or Nepal's domestic structure. Also, Nepal's best players get exposure and experience, which in turn will help the national team grow.

It's called Bangladesh Premier League, it should only have teams in Bangladesh.
Not really an issue. Plenty of such leagues exist already. NBA, MLB have teams in Canada. Plenty of Welsh teams play in the "English" Premier League. Lots of NZ based teams participate in Ozzie leagues.

We should expand in other parts of BD first, rather than another country. Places like Cox Bazaar and Barisal deserve a team.
This is a tougher one to answer. Perhaps Cox B., Barisal does deserve a team, but BPL gains more by going into Kathmandu first. The people of Cox B. will tune into BPL no matter what, but the people of Nepal are much more likely to follow BPL if they have a local team to support. You don't expand TV views by having a team in Cox B., but you increase it (by millions) by going into Kathmandu.

In short, it's win win for everyone. Generate revenue for BPL/BCB, which will in turn be used to develop Bangladesh cricket. Nepal fans get more cricket. The top few Nepal players get to participate in a T20 format, make money, etc.

Ultimately, this could be one way for BPL to compete with the other T20 leagues in the world. The only reason IPL hasn't done it yet is because it has states bigger than Nepal without a franchise. But BPL, based in a smaller country like BD, can only grow so much. With a bit of outside the box thinking, BPL can easily become the second largest T20 league in the world.

Thoughts for/against?

Zeeshan
September 2, 2017, 07:24 PM
Interesting piece, darling. FP material almost if not for the current Aus series... perhaps we can publish it in future?

Yankees
September 2, 2017, 08:08 PM
Thanks, baby. If you think it's good enough for FP than by all means move it for later.

aklemalp
September 2, 2017, 08:45 PM
Hmm, not a bad idea. This is something similar to our CPL.

tejkuni
September 2, 2017, 09:31 PM
I think that is a great idea. This will also increase tourism. TV commercial of BD products may get new market. "Pran" products are already there. Nepalis who live in BD (including a huge number of students) will probably go to the stadium.

Yankees
September 2, 2017, 09:45 PM
Hmm, not a bad idea. This is something similar to our CPL.

Sort of. Even though CPL takes place in different countries, it's all under the WICB, which has cricket jurisdiction in those countries. For this, BPL would still be wholly operated by BCB, but just happens to have a team based in Kathmandu. From a legal standpoint, it's similar to a Bangladeshi business opening a branch in Nepal.

aklemalp
September 2, 2017, 09:51 PM
Sort of. Even though CPL takes place in different countries, it's all under the WICB, which has cricket jurisdiction in those countries. For this, BPL would still be wholly operated by BCB, but just happens to have a team based in Kathmandu. From a legal standpoint, it's similar to a Bangladeshi business opening a branch in Nepal.

Cool, thanks for the further information.

I really do think that it is worthy of being on the front page. Some very good points were brought up in this initiative.

Yankees
September 2, 2017, 09:54 PM
I think that is a great idea. This will also increase tourism. TV commercial of BD products may get new market. "Pran" products are already there. Nepalis who live in BD (including a huge number of students) will probably go to the stadium.

Forgot about tourism, but yes another positive side effect. A company like Pran will have to out bid not just other BD firms, but also Nepali companies (during Kath. games) for ad space. A great thing for BCB.

Roy_1
September 3, 2017, 12:07 AM
If materialized will be great for Nepal cricket, they have a young population and cricket is quite popular among them, all they need is more chances and exposure to global cricket.

Yankees
September 3, 2017, 02:40 AM
Cool, thanks for the further information.

I really do think that it is worthy of being on the front page. Some very good points were brought up in this initiative.

Thanks buddy. I don't know the rules about FP publishing, but if any of the mods want to move it, its fine by me. I also wrote this in like 10 mins so I can polish it up some.

RealSports
September 3, 2017, 05:21 AM
Interesting, but I totally disagree. It's a Bangladesh league, and should only have teams within Bangladesh. Nepalese people don't speak or understand Bengali. I like the idea of including Cox Bazaar though. Also, no franchise league even combined can match the IPL. Their tournament ranks among the likes of EPL, NBA, MLB, AFL, NHL etc.

aklemalp
September 3, 2017, 10:25 AM
This is a picture or artist's depiction of the new stadium under construction in Kathmandu, Nepal. It's called the Mulpani Cricket Stadium. Capacity:30,000

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/qhk0iGgImZE/hqdefault.jpg

Shadow
September 3, 2017, 10:56 AM
This is a picture or artist's depiction of the new stadium under construction in Kathmandu, Nepal. It's called the Mulpani Cricket Stadium. Capacity:30,000

That's actually the old model of Mirpur Shere Bangla Stadium in Dhaka. Look, how the stadium is not round in shape.

http://tigers-cricket-profile.blogspot.com/2014/11/sher-e-bangla-national-cricket-stadium.html

aklemalp
September 3, 2017, 11:28 AM
That's actually the old model of Mirpur Shere Bangla Stadium in Dhaka. Look, how the stadium is not round in shape.

http://tigers-cricket-profile.blogspot.com/2014/11/sher-e-bangla-national-cricket-stadium.html

That's a coincidence

Yankees
September 3, 2017, 02:16 PM
Interesting, but I totally disagree. It's a Bangladesh league, and should only have teams within Bangladesh. Nepalese people don't speak or understand Bengali. I like the idea of including Cox Bazaar though. Also, no franchise league even combined can match the IPL. Their tournament ranks among the likes of EPL, NBA, MLB, AFL, NHL etc.

I anticipated this as one of the main objectives and wrote:

It's called Bangladesh Premier League, it should only have teams in Bangladesh.
Not really an issue. Plenty of such leagues exist already. NBA, MLB have teams in Canada. Plenty of Welsh teams play in the "English" Premier League. Lots of NZ based teams participate in Ozzie leagues.

Should have added that for NBA and MLB, it's still remained an American product. Only difference is that for Toronto home games, they play the Canadian anthem along with the American one. It would be the same case here.

Also BPL is broadcast in English with western commies.So not sure why language is an issue? Lastly, the goal isnt to compete with IPL. Goal is to grow BPL to number 2 status.

aklemalp
September 3, 2017, 02:19 PM
I remember IPL went to South Africa and UAE?

That wasn't bad at all. The South African leg was mostly during elections?

It's a good idea to host games overseas. As long as there are fans and accommodations. Both cricket boards have to work close together.

Yankees
September 3, 2017, 02:37 PM

Read this regarding the stadium:

Home to eight of the ten tallest peaks in the world, it is only apt that Nepal is called 'the Home of the Gods'. It seems appropriate, therefore, that Nepal's newest cricket stadium, the half-complete Mulpani Cricket Ground in Kathmandu, is located atop a hill, that little bit closer to the heavens. The ground shares its acronym with a more celebrated stadium from the southern hemisphere, but the Mulpani ground possesses its own charm, with panoramic views of the Himalayas and the growing metropolis of Kathmandu.

Might just challenge Dharamsala stadium for having the best backdrop.

ReZ_1
September 3, 2017, 03:19 PM
Nice thread Yankees... lots of thought behind this..
But I would rather go with Sri lanka than Nepal. Srilanka started their spl but due to some reason it stopped. So a joint premier league between two teams could be interesting. Each franchise team can have 8 players comprising 4 from BD and Sl and 3 foreigners to give it multi cultural and global flavor. Also Sl have the experience in this league system.

Yankees
September 3, 2017, 03:58 PM
Nice thread Yankees... lots of thought behind this..
But I would rather go with Sri lanka than Nepal. Srilanka started their spl but due to some reason it stopped. So a joint premier league between two teams could be interesting. Each franchise team can have 8 players comprising 4 from BD and Sl and 3 foreigners to give it multi cultural and global flavor. Also Sl have the experience in this league system.

Thanks. Actually, I thought of SL initially and would prefer them over Nepal. But I decided against SL because:

Logistics: Home/away fixtures will be harder to schedule if you have to constantly fly teams from Colombo to Dhaka, and vice versa. Kathmandu is so close that it will actually be shorter than the bus rides from Dhaka to Khulna or Dhaka to Rangpur.

SLC: We would have to scrap BPL completely and start a brand new T20 tournament. Because there is no way SLC accepts a "Bangladesh" Premier League in their country. Also, SLC is strong and will want to share operating control with BCB. Too complicated and a political nightmare.

CAN is financially weak and have no leverage. So we can easily have a Kath. team with minimal or no involvement from CAN and still keep BPL exactly the way it is.

Max100
September 4, 2017, 07:18 AM
Great front page articles. Fresh and innovative ideas

Mas_UK25
September 4, 2017, 11:13 AM
Good idea.

Anher
September 4, 2017, 12:12 PM
I am sold!
FP material.

It will help cricket in Nepal to flourish and bond cultures. Nepal will remember.

Shingara
September 4, 2017, 12:52 PM
Kothakar ki ???

iDumb
September 5, 2017, 12:50 AM
Front page article? yeah right. I wouldn't even put this in the back page or even in a forum post.

It is just a very poor random thought of a random guy without much insight to how a tournament like BPL is run or its purpose.

We care about BPL not because it can reach world wide audience... (who cares?) but we support this tournament because it unearths Banglaeshi talent when they are pitted against world class players. Having a Nepali team neither gives a world class skill set nor does it unearths Bangladeshi talent.

I think one can look at Nepal for player signing if you want a portion of that viewership (but why do you want that?).

One can write a same post saying.. BPL should have a team from Calcutta - which is a much more lucrative team than any other and actually makes more sense but WHY?

DinRaat.
September 5, 2017, 02:27 AM
Front page article? yeah right. I wouldn't even put this in the back page or even in a forum post.

It is just a very poor random thought of a random guy without much insight to how a tournament like BPL is run or its purpose.

We care about BPL not because it can reach world wide audience... (who cares?) but we support this tournament because it unearths Banglaeshi talent when they are pitted against world class players. Having a Nepali team neither gives a world class skill set nor does it unearths Bangladeshi talent.

I think one can look at Nepal for player signing if you want a portion of that viewership (but why do you want that?).

One can write a same post saying.. BPL should have a team from Calcutta - which is a much more lucrative team than any other and actually makes more sense but WHY?

Did you guys have a break-up, what happened to your exciting romance.

Jadukor
September 5, 2017, 02:39 AM
From a business/viewership point of view, it does have merit. I remember when our cricketers defected to ICL and formed a Bangladeshi Team in ICL.. we were all tuning in to watch Kapali and co from Bangladesh. Nepali audience should also be very interested in the same way. One way to test this is to see if established Nepali brands would sponsor the team. That would indicate market interest. In terms of competitiveness you also have a solution through the team composition. Interesting idea.

Yankees
September 5, 2017, 10:41 AM

Welcome back iDumb, looking forward to your next banning. Vegas odds are currently 2 months. :floor:

Your pathetic personal grudge aside, I will focus on the two topics you did bring up:

"we support this tournament because it unearths Bangladeshi talent when they are pitted against world class players." Nope. Maybe you do, but not the average BD fan. BPL's goal is to make money by entertaining the masses. The franchise owners don't buy the teams to help Bangladesh cricket grow. They do it to make money. Wanting a more global reach is very much their focus.

"BPL should have a team from Calcutta" - you fail to understand the whole point of the post. Kolkata has an IPL team and the Indian national team. You think they would care about a BPL franchise? You think BCCI would allow a BPL franchise in their territory? Nepal, on the other hand, is cricket hungry. This is about what is realistic, not what is ideal. Try to understand the difference.

Yankees
September 5, 2017, 10:43 AM
Great front page articles. Fresh and innovative ideas

Good idea.

I am sold!
FP material.

It will help cricket in Nepal to flourish and bond cultures. Nepal will remember.

Thanks bros :up:

Yankees
September 5, 2017, 10:44 AM
Did you guys have a break-up, what happened to your exciting romance.

iDumb's just mad cause he got iBanned. Nothing more.

Night_wolf
September 5, 2017, 10:50 AM
"we support this tournament because it unearths Bangladeshi talent when they are pitted against world class players." Nope. Maybe you do, but not the average BD fan. BPL's goal is to make money by entertaining the masses. The franchise owners don't buy the teams to help Bangladesh cricket grow. They do it to make money. Wanting a more global reach is very much their focus.

I agree with you that BPL owners dont buy the teams to help BD cricket grow. I cant blame them as they are businessman and this is just business for them, whatever earns them more money they should go for it

but I hoped this tournament was to unearths Bangladeshi talent when they are pitted against world class players

Jadukor
September 5, 2017, 12:59 PM
I thought it did unearth some talent like Mehedi Maruf and Abu Haider Rony. Maruf never even made it to the t20 matches

MHRAM
September 5, 2017, 01:36 PM
Nice article. FP material

But I am not interested in this Kathmandu franchise. We should focus more on the development of our own cricketers. BPL is a substandard tournament. There is so much to work on
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition

Roy_1
September 5, 2017, 02:25 PM
Nice article. FP material

But I am not interested in this Kathmandu franchise. We should focus more on the development of our own cricketers. BPL is a substandard tournament. There is so much to work on

3rd biggest cricket league by monetary value, only after IPL and PSL if I am not wrong, I won't call it substandard as it attracted quite few big names over the years, issues I find are lack of venues and poor video quality which can surely be improved.

Yankees
September 5, 2017, 03:19 PM
I agree with you that BPL owners dont buy the teams to help BD cricket grow. I cant blame them as they are businessman and this is just business for them, whatever earns them more money they should go for it

but I hoped this tournament was to unearths Bangladeshi talent when they are pitted against world class players

In theory, those players should be unearthed in the domestic structure. BPL does however give these guys a platform to play and be seen by the fans. Guys like Liton or Maruf or Rony, who can't get in the national team XI can easily get into one of the 77 starting spots (7 teams x 11). If BPL is the only time these players get noticed, then thats a failure on our domestic system.

Yankees
September 5, 2017, 03:23 PM
3rd biggest cricket league by monetary value, only after IPL and PSL if I am not wrong, I won't call it substandard as it attracted quite few big names over the years, issues I find are lack of venues and poor video quality which can surely be improved.

In a sport that's played by only a handful of countries, where half the countries do not have the financial capability or public interest to have a T20 league, being 3rd best isn't that difficult :lol: Maybe not substandard, but certainly poorly managed. Fact that a franchise can fold weeks before the tourney is embarrassing.

Roy_1
September 5, 2017, 03:30 PM
Nope. Maybe you do, but not the average BD fan. BPL's goal is to make money by entertaining the masses. The franchise owners don't buy the teams to help Bangladesh cricket grow. They do it to make money. Wanting a more global reach is very much their focus.

TBH I don't think this is entirely true, I am not doubting your statements about the mentality of the owners but I really don't think BCB organizes the league solely to earn money and nothing else. IPL for all the hate it gets has done a fine job in discovering and promoting young talents, same is true for PSL, it did give Pakistan some exciting new talent within a very short span of time. Money, viewership, TRP are all fine and absolutely essential for a league to survive I understand but the purpose is not completely served until it creates a decent talent pool for BD cricket IMHO. The best thing about IPL is the synergy between businessman and Indian ex cricketers/analysts/pundits. Since guys like Dravid, Kumble, Laxman associated with IPL we can always expect steady inflow of domestic talents.

"BPL should have a team from Calcutta" - you fail to understand the whole point of the post. Kolkata has an IPL team and the Indian national team. You think they would care about a BPL franchise? You think BCCI would allow a BPL franchise in their territory? Nepal, on the other hand, is cricket hungry. This is about what is realistic, not what is ideal. Try to understand the difference.

Totally agree, it makes no sense whatsoever having a team from Kolkata, Nepal is a different story though.

Yankees
September 5, 2017, 03:31 PM
From a business/viewership point of view, it does have merit. I remember when our cricketers defected to ICL and formed a Bangladeshi Team in ICL.. we were all tuning in to watch Kapali and co from Bangladesh.

ICL was a novel idea and a brilliant one. The only reason it failed is because BCCI is a government monopoly. In a truly free market, it's ICL, not IPL, that would thrive today. They also had 2 teams from Pakistan. And it basically guaranteed views from all 3 countries. If given time, imagine the type of rivalry it would create between Kolkata and Dhaka or Lahore and Punjab, in addition to the typical India intercity rivalries.

Roy_1
September 5, 2017, 03:50 PM
In a sport that's played by only a handful of countries, where half the countries do not have the financial capability or public interest to have a T20 league, being 3rd best isn't that difficult :lol: Maybe not substandard, but certainly poorly managed. Fact that a franchise can fold weeks before the tourney is embarrassing.

No offense to you bro, but I don't understand this wrist slitting mentality of majority of the cricket fans, I follow very few sports, Cricket, Tennis, boxing and a bit of MMA and table tennis here and there, could you tell me another truly global sports barring Soccer ?, No one gives a **** about baseball except US, Japan and couple other countries, I am pretty sure baseball fans aren't crying day and night because of that, cricket is still one of the major sports in the world just cuz majority of the followers are brown does not make it any lesser, this financial capability you are talking about will change in due time.

Again don't get me wrong I am not singling you out or anything, an overwhelming majority of cricket fans have this self-hating attitude towards cricket from what I observed.

Zeeshan
September 5, 2017, 03:57 PM
As an editor I need to state this to further dissuade from members from contributing due to anyone with personal attacking nature of post.

In all articles, it clearly reads on the side:

Opinions expressed in this article are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the views of BanglaCricket unless explicitly stated.

FP article doesn't need to be "stellar dissertation worthy" articles. It can be a unique and original view like this for which I used the F word after which many jumped on the bandwagon. (Besides, without revealing much, I do not have the privilege to make unilateral decision and it is a team work eventually...)

Heck you can rip apart entire Bangladesh team progress but if you articulate it enough and do have logical grounds, it may get published should the editorial team decide on it.

I had to put it out there, because I wrote my 71 piece from heart as well as other genuine thoughts and feelings and so do many members do spend time and effort to articulate something and then we have some troll members who never contributed anything constructive in this forum only to smear the genuine expression to dust with some irritating pseudo-logic. This needs to stop and as a member I urge fellow members to aggressively use report button once you feel someone gets 'paar peye jay' with these non-stop snide personal attacks.

Not to mention this sort of tendency deflates spirit and dissuades further from contributing anything worthwhile.

SportingBD
September 5, 2017, 04:55 PM
As an editor I need to state this to further dissuade from members from contributing due to anyone with personal attacking nature of post.

FP article doesn't need to be "stellar dissertation worthy" articles. It can be a unique and original view like this for which I used the F word after which many jumped on the bandwagon. (Besides, without revealing much, I do not have the privilege to make unilateral decision and it is a team work eventually...)

Heck you can rip apart entire Bangladesh team progress but if you articulate it enough and do have logical grounds, it may get published should the editorial team decide on it.

I had to put it out there, because I wrote my 71 piece from heart as well as other genuine thoughts and feelings and so do many members do spend time and effort to articulate something and then we have some troll members who never contributed anything constructive in this forum only to smear the genuine expression to dust with some irritating pseudo-logic. This needs to stop and as a member I urge fellow members to aggressively use report button once you feel someone gets 'paar peye jay' with these non-stop snide personal attacks.

Not to mention this sort of tendency deflates spirit and dissuades further from contributing anything worthwhile.

Not sure if you're referring to the tag team gang! that work together lol. I have stopped posting at BC regularly out of fear that I might end up getting permanently vanished from BC by getting involved in a argument with those 1-2 members.

It's a scary place, knowing that there are like hidden personal agenda/work being done.. just waiting to strike you.. hence I prefer to stay away.

Yankees
September 5, 2017, 05:03 PM
No offense to you bro, but I don't understand this wrist slitting mentality of majority of the cricket fans, I follow very few sports, Cricket, Tennis, boxing and a bit of MMA and table tennis here and there, could you tell me another truly global sports barring Soccer ?, No one gives a **** about baseball except US, Japan and couple other countries, I am pretty sure baseball fans aren't crying day and night because of that, cricket is still one of the major sports in the world just cuz majority of the followers are brown does not make it any lesser, this financial capability you are talking about will change in due time.

Again don't get me wrong I am not singling you out or anything, an overwhelming majority of cricket fans have this self-hating attitude towards cricket from what I observed.

I think its all due to frustration. We know cricket can be a better product than what we have now.

As far as popularity goes, I would say Basketball is easily more popular. The same number of countries play Rugby as Cricket. Baseball is actually very popular in Japan, Korea, and most of Latin America. Possibly more countries play baseball than cricket. Cricket's popularity is due to South Asia's MASSIVE population. But that's still only 4 countries (6 including Nepal and AFG).

Test cricket is not an attractive sport for newcomers. Neither is a 8 hour ODI match. This is where IPL, BPL, BBL can actually grow cricket. Just like NBA does for Basketball. But for that to truly happen, International bilaerals and test matches will have to take a backseat.

Yankees
September 5, 2017, 05:05 PM
^^ I say the above as someone who doesn't watch IPL or BBL and only watches highlights of BPL. I prefer Test and ODI over T20 anyday. But this is the reality.

bujhee kom
September 5, 2017, 05:11 PM
I prefer Test and ODI over T20 anyday. But this is the reality.

Me too, Yankees bhaiya...
I love Test cricket - First class cricket...
After that ODIs I also like well.

iDumb
September 5, 2017, 10:09 PM
ICL was a novel idea and a brilliant one. The only reason it failed is because BCCI is a government monopoly. In a truly free market, it's ICL, not IPL, that would thrive today. They also had 2 teams from Pakistan. And it basically guaranteed views from all 3 countries. If given time, imagine the type of rivalry it would create between Kolkata and Dhaka or Lahore and Punjab, in addition to the typical India intercity rivalries.

No it wasn't. ICL was simply a competing league in India that failed to materialize. Your words do not make sense. It failed. ICL failed in today's time. Part of "brilliant ideas" are also brilliant implementation despite obstacles. It had neither.

And no true Bangladeshi should have supported ICL. Leagues like that if flourished would have wiped out any little talent BD produces. It is not yet India or Pakistan that 11 deserters would all of a sudden be replaced with equally 11 talents. That exodus from BD took us back some years. There is very tunnel vision in most of what some of you write.

There is lot of money to be made if India/Pak tours each other also but they don't because each countrys governming body has to abide by countrys political laws/sentiment. ICL can have as many Pakistani teams as they wanted but it would have never sustained unless the relationship between those two countries improve at government level. This is called lack of vision, not brilliance.

your proposal is just very random. and given you are just a random guy, it has little weight and hence if poor opinion like this make to front page , it reflects poorly on this site and its staff.

Night_wolf
September 5, 2017, 10:26 PM

well said :up:

Jadukor
September 5, 2017, 10:43 PM
Yes that is true. BCCI killed ICL and started IPL which was, for them, a good business decision despite it's ruthlessness. I totally forgot about the Inzi captained Lahor badshash or a name similar to that. I think there is an opportunity to curve out a niche among all these t20 leagues by bringing in a Franchise from Nepal and perhaps other franchises from associate countries if they are interested to send a team. If the teams have money then they should be able to bring foreign players just like other BPL teams. The precondition in my opinion should be that the team is sponsored by their own companies and not by us. If there is a market for it then they should be able to find sponsor/franchise owner. If there is no sponsor then there is no market for it and therefore we shouldnt get involved.

I think Nepal would certainly have the fan interest and that would allow BPL to sell broadcast rights to local tv in Nepal.

Night_wolf
September 5, 2017, 10:50 PM
I was not on board of bringing in a team from Nepal, but thinking about ICL now it feels like a great idea.

iDumb
September 5, 2017, 11:35 PM
I was not on board of bringing in a team from Nepal, but thinking about ICL now it feels like a great idea.

Yes .. mimicking a failed tournament is always a great idea . /sarcasm

If u want to go international ....you should not stop at one country ... u can also go with a team from Afghanistan ..from pakistan .... and eventually one from Zimbabwe and Kenya .. then bpl Wil truly be great and all .....

Oh China ! I forgot about China ... aminul Islam can play for them

Night_wolf
September 5, 2017, 11:39 PM
Yes .. mimicking a failed tournament is always a great idea . /sarcasm

If u want to go international ....you should not stop at one country ... u can also go with a team from Afghanistan ..from pakistan .... and eventually one from Zimbabwe and Kenya .. then bpl Wil truly be great and all .....

Oh China ! I forgot about China ... aminul Islam can play for them

well ICL was destroyed, it did not fail on its own.

if it was allowed to grow who knows what could have happened. certainly brought interest from BD when Dhaka Warriors were playing

iDumb
September 5, 2017, 11:49 PM
well ICL was destroyed, it did not fail on its own.

if it was allowed to grow who knows what could have happened. certainly brought interest from BD when Dhaka Warriors were playing

Are you seriously that naaive? It got killed ..haha ... which ideas is there that is not out there thats some one will not try to kill ...

Look up history on electric car and how it was "killed" but all of a sudden tesla is the 2nd largest car maker in market cap .... just needed a different guy.

And I am not gonna go make theoretical discussion if it was successful ..if it was it would have been bad for Bangladesh cricket .. a league based on India would be controlling our sports and players .... and reaping the benefits :)

Vision!x!

Night_wolf
September 6, 2017, 12:00 AM
Are you seriously that naaive? It got killed ..haha ... which ideas is there that is not out there thats some one will not try to kill ...

Look up history on electric car and how it was "killed" but all of a sudden tesla is the 2nd largest car maker in market cap .... just needed a different guy.

And I am not gonna go make theoretical discussion if it was successful ..if it was it would have been bad for Bangladesh cricket .. a league based on India would be controlling our sports and players ....

Vision!x!

it was killed, BCCI banned whoever was with the league and made sure other countries dont let any of their players take part in it. without resource it was destined to die

but BPL wont be that case, if players from nepal form a team here BCCI or any other entity wont come knocking with a hammer.

look I didn't reply to this thread at first as I was oppose to a foreign team in our league, but looking at it now from pure sports point of view it wont be that bad to bring teams from other cricket playing countries. it will be nice to see Dhaka vs Kathmandu or Ctg vs say Dublin

India/Pak teams make no sense as they already have their own league and wont allow their team to be part of another league. but I think associate nations will dig the Idea

Yankees
September 6, 2017, 12:05 AM
it was killed, BCCI banned whoever was with the league and made sure other countries dont let any of their players take part in it. without resource it was destined to die

but BPL wont be that case, if players from nepal form a team here BCCI or any other entity wont come knocking with a hammer.

look I didn't reply to this thread at first as I was oppose to a foreign team in our league, but looking at it now from pure sports point of view it wont be that bad to bring teams from other cricket playing countries. it will be nice to see Dhaka vs Kathmandu or Ctg vs say Dublin

India/Pak teams make no sense as they already have their own league and wont allow their team to be part of another league. but I think associate nations will dig the Idea

Don't bother using logic with the illogical. This point has been made before. iDumb is just unable to comprehend.

iDumb
September 6, 2017, 12:18 AM
LOL . I know all that.. you are missing the point I think. It was a open market t20 in India for someone to grab 10 years ago. IPL owners won ..ICL lost simple ... all the rest of excuses u bring are simple hurdles that needed to be overcome.

They still tried somewhat ..that's why the Bangladeshi player exodus despite being it "illegal".. but just weren't good enough ... ever wondered their approach was wrong ?

but BPL wont be that case,
Won't be what ? That in trying to create greater international audience that bpl will lose local interest ? Maybe no chatgaigaya is interested in see tamim scoring 100 against some fat guy name laberock or whatever ...

India/Pak teams make no sense as they already have their own league

India pak Afghan sl that's where the talent is and that's where the money is ... if icl can take half of Bangladeshi national players illegally ... bpl can't recruit some local boys u telling me from those countries ?

What does their local league have to do with anything ? If teams from these countries do not make sense to u why does one from Nepal does ? Is it because ease of entry ?

MHRAM
September 6, 2017, 12:22 AM

Don't want to offend you bro but I religiously follow the BPL

The crowd apart from home games is poor
The broadcast quality is poor
Technical aspects is poor
No home and away games
Pitches are rubbish, which is why we have many sub 120 matches

Yes BPL has money and top players but I think quality wise it would 3rd from the bottom of all the T20 leagues in the world.

iDumb
September 6, 2017, 12:26 AM
Don't bother using logic with the illogical. This point has been made before.

What point ? What is actually your goal for bpl... figure that out first before writing nonsense .

If it's greater international and quality players along with exposure then Afghanistan... Pakistan or other established countries are better choices...

If it is to form an associate global t20 in bd... then bangladesh is not rich enough to sustain that .... and in an effort to do that it will kill whatever it created ...

But my biggest question is WHY? How does it benefit Bangladesh cricket ?

Yankees
September 6, 2017, 12:39 AM
What point ? What is actually your goal for bpl... figure that out first before writing nonsense .

If it's greater international and quality players along with exposure then Afghanistan... Pakistan or other established countries are better choices...

If it is to form an associate global t20 in bd... then bangladesh is not rich enough to sustain that .... and in an effort to do that it will kill whatever it created ...

But my biggest question is WHY? How does it benefit Bangladesh cricket ?

You only have to read the first post to get the answer to all your questions. Whether you agree or not is irrelevant. To get my point (as you asked), you literally have to read the first post. The answers to your questions have also been hammered home by all the other posters. Even the ones that don't agree with me atleast understand the point. You are literally the only guy here who can't comprehend anything whatsoever. It's not our job to hand hold you through every post. It's not a failure on any of us, it's a failure on you.

Just like getting banned was also on you. You can pretend otherwise, but its obvious that's why you are so combative. :lol:

Night_wolf
September 6, 2017, 12:40 AM
LOL . I know all that.. you are missing the point I think. It was a open market t20 in India for someone to grab 10 years ago. IPL owners won ..ICL lost simple ... all the rest of excuses u bring are simple hurdles that needed to be overcome.

They still tried somewhat ..that's why the Bangladeshi player exodus despite being it "illegal".. but just weren't good enough ... ever wondered their approach was wrong ?

IPL owners own because they tied up ICL owners with BCCI. I can't do business against you if you lock me up and not let me do anything. Those Bangladeshi players were expats because BCCI made sure of it. if the situation was not like what BCCI made it to be things might have been different, I followed Dhaka Warriors and enjoyed, if the league was legal I would have followed ICL till now because of DW. May be you didn't enjoyed it but its depends on perspective

Won't be what ? That in trying to create greater international audience that bpl will lose local interest ? Maybe no chatgaigaya is interested in see tamim scoring 100 against some fat guy name laberock or whatever ...

BCCI will not ban BPL if BPL have a team from Kathmandu, thats what I am saying. it wont face the same issues as ICL. because of BD players playing BPL wont lose interest. I for one would love to see tamim score 100 against dublin dulhas! you will say meh!..see it depends on person to person. you dont like it doesn't mean I wont care. if their are no local interest to see our players vs Katmandu or Dublin or whatever then we can scrap the idea,but before we try we wont know.

India pak Afghan sl that's where the talent is and that's where the money is ... if icl can take half of Bangladeshi national players illegally ... bpl can't recruit some local boys u telling me from those countries ?

What does their local league have to do with anything ? If teams from these countries do not make sense to u why does one from Nepal does ? Is it because ease of entry ?

if you take a team from kolkata you are in BCCI territory, you are making money with BCCI product. any team with a Indian origin is BCCI owned. Here BCCI will step in. same thing ICL faced. Thats why I am saying Countries which have their own leagues wont allow their teams to take part in other leagues. Something that is not possible why we are talking about it even if that is where the money is

iDumb
September 6, 2017, 12:58 AM
if you take a team from kolkata you are in BCCI territory, you are making money with BCCI product. any team with a Indian origin is BCCI owned. Here BCCI will step in. same thing ICL faced. Thats why I am saying Countries which have their own leagues wont allow their teams to take part in other leagues. Something that is not possible why we are talking about it even if that is where the money is

this is the only good point made in this thread (apart from all my posts) but that pertains to India. There is Afghanistan with loads of talent waiting to get a sniff.

Ultimately it seems like ease of entry is what attracks you.

Try to think of ways to Elevate quality of BPL so our local boys can be discovered and weight can be given to the tourney for any selection process. It is not in our fans interest to involve associate teams in the league. and that too NEPAL out of anyone.

Night_wolf
September 6, 2017, 01:10 AM
Try to think of ways to Elevate quality of BPL so our local boys can be discovered and weight can be given to the tourney for any selection process.

you are right, I agreed with your previous posts that I hoped BPL was there to get hidden local talents. We should try to elevate quality of BPL so we can find better players for our team. that should be the ultimate goal.

now getting associate teams in the mix will degrade the quality I dont agree with that. simply because our own teams are not that good..apart from national players in the team and couple of fringe players most are bad. we have ziaur rahman, nazmul islam apu etc filling atleast 4 spots in a team.

now imagine Ireland National team playing as team from dublin. and if we add 5 foreign players in their team, they are much better than team with ziaur rahman, nazmul islam apu. here we are not degrading quality by adding associate teams. yes you can counter argue that nepal national team is adding no value in this argument and I will give you that.

It is not in our fans interest to involve associate teams in the league. and that too NEPAL out of anyone.

I am a fan and I am interested, you are a fan and you think this is a bad idea. its already 50-50, so you cant say for certain its not our fans interest to involve associate teams in the league.

iDumb
September 6, 2017, 01:28 AM
night wolf you are thinking about quality associate teams now. Ireland. If you can get half of ireland national team to play for BPL.. that's great. I also mentioned Afghanistan. zimbabwe. Counties with rich cricket history and following at some point. There is a theme.. if you gonna do it (again why), do it right.

When i say fans interest, I meant to say does it help bangladesh cricket? that's the main question. whose pocket its filing or emptying is not any of our concern for a tournament paid by private companies.

the only thing nepal is good at is making delicious Momos.

Roy_1
September 6, 2017, 02:55 AM
I agree with idumb on ICL. Lol at people making a martyr out of it. ICL was a rogue league and treated as such. It was an epitome of ill planned activity and poor vision. An act of stupidity does not become bravery no matter how cool and revelutionary it sounds. What were they expecting when they went up against the most powerful board and the governing body of cricket itself? You can not drain out talents illegally from countries and expect the respective boards to just sit back and chill. They knew the rules, they knew who they will be compitting against. BCCI did nothing wrong, no government tolerates a parallel government within its boundary. Punching above weight is cool and all but when a featherweight decides to lock horns with the heavyweight champion and don't come out alive of the ring he has no one to blame but himself. When you set up a business without risk analysis and market study your business is bound to fail, your shiny business ideas are worth jack. You take lessons from failures and disasters, you don't celebrate them and repeat the same **** all over again.

Having said all these I do believe there is merit in Yankees' proposal, as it is about promoting talents of new members not breaking away or draining resources from already established cricket playing countries.

Jadukor
September 6, 2017, 03:08 AM
Lol at people making a martyr out of it. ICL was a rogue league and treated as such. It was an epitome of ill planned activity and poor vision. An act of stupidity does not become bravery no matter how cool and revelutionary it sounds. What were they expecting when they went up against the most powerful board and the governing body of cricket itself? You can not drain out talents illegally from countries and expect the respective boards to just sit back and chill. They knew the rules, they knew who they will be compitting against. BCCI did nothing wrong, no government tolerates a parallel government within its boundary. Punching above weight is cool and all but when a featherweight decides to lock horns with the heavyweight champion and don't come out alive of the ring he has no one to blame but himself. When you set up a business without risk analysis and market study your business is bound to fail, your shiny business ideas are worth jack. You take lessons from failures and disasters, you don't celebrate them and repeat the same **** all over again.

Having said all these I do believe their is merit in Yankees' proposal, as it is about promoting talents of new members not breaking away or draining resources from already established cricket playing countries.

No need to get defensive and defend your beloved BCCI. Nobody here is saying ICL was a noble initiative and needed to continue. The model of ICL of having a team from Bangladesh and Pakistan alongside the Indian franchises worked to market the tournament to those countries. Whether it is illegal or not is not the discussion since nobody is defending ICL here. ICL is only being used as an example to prove that it is possible for BPL to field a Nepali team in similar fashion provided there is a market demand for it in Nepal.

Roy_1
September 6, 2017, 03:46 AM
No need to get defensive and defend your beloved BCCI. Nobody here is saying ICL was a noble initiative and needed to continue. The model of ICL of having a team from Bangladesh and Pakistan alongside the Indian franchises worked to market the tournament to those countries. Whether it is illegal or not is not the discussion since nobody is defending ICL here. ICL is only being used as an example to prove that it is possible for BPL to field a Nepali team in similar fashion provided there is a market demand for it in Nepal.

So I am being defensive for merely stating my opinion :lol:

The big bad BCCI has every right to safeguard it's interest and eliminate threats, if there was a rebel league within BD I am sure BCB would have done the same.

Double :lol: at ICL model, a tried and tested failure, being used to prove a point and presented as a glorified example. If you actually read my post without cherry-picking the keyword 'BCCI' you would know I liked the idea (Not that it matters) of having teams from Nepal and other associates in BPL, just that can't help but point out the logical fallacies of taking inspiration from a disastrous and rogue league.:wave:

Jadukor
September 6, 2017, 03:49 AM
So I am being defensive for merely stating my opinion :lol:

The big bad BCCI has every right to safeguard it's interest and eliminate threats, if there was a rebel league within BD I am sure BCB would have done the same.

Double :lol: at ICL model, a tried and tested failure, being used to prove a point and presented as a glorified example. If you actually read my post without cherry-picking the keyword 'BCCI' you would know I liked the idea (Not that it matters) of having teams from Nepal and other associates in BPL, just that can't help but point out the logical fallacies of comparing a rogue league with a functional one. :wave:
Anything related to IPL and BCCI and a Trumpesque reaction is a certainty from you:lol:
but do speak your mind about harmful effects and consequences of rebel leagues:lol: however tangential it is to this particular discussion.:wave:

Roy_1
September 6, 2017, 03:58 AM
Anything related to IPL and BCCI and a Trumpesque reaction is a certainty from you:lol:

Intolerance much? Can't handle different opinions? Or is it my nationality that rattles your cage? I really don't think I need assistance or recommendations to form my own opinions. Disagree all you want, refute my points by all means, but when you come up with straw-man arguments like this you lose credibility. :wave:

Night_wolf
September 6, 2017, 04:07 AM
I agree with idumb on ICL. Lol at people making a martyr out of it. ICL was a rogue league and treated as such. It was an epitome of ill planned activity and poor vision. An act of stupidity does not become bravery no matter how cool and revelutionary it sounds. What were they expecting when they went up against the most powerful board and the governing body of cricket itself? You can not drain out talents illegally from countries and expect the respective boards to just sit back and chill. They knew the rules, they knew who they will be compitting against. BCCI did nothing wrong, no government tolerates a parallel government within its boundary. Punching above weight is cool and all but when a featherweight decides to lock horns with the heavyweight champion and don't come out alive of the ring he has no one to blame but himself. When you set up a business without risk analysis and market study your business is bound to fail, your shiny business ideas are worth jack. You take lessons from failures and disasters, you don't celebrate them and repeat the same **** all over again.

Having said all these I do believe there is merit in Yankees' proposal, as it is about promoting talents of new members not breaking away or draining resources from already established cricket playing countries.

let me clear the air first. BCCI is not at fault here for killing ICL. ICL was a league that was using BCCI's properties and players to earn money without BCCI's consent. BCCI spends huge amount of money to create the local players that ICL were using. Any Cricket Board should not allow this, the best business decision was to crush ICL. any Board if allow something like ICL is stupid.

Having said that Me and idumb we were having discussion about the concept that ICL brought to the table. he argued that it was a failed league and I counter argued that it failed because of the circumstances with BCCI, ICL wasn't given the chance to flourish and we will never know what could have happen if BCCI did not kill it.

we are here discussing about if ICL concept of teams from different countries can work in BPL since here a force like BCCI will not be involved.

Jadukor
September 6, 2017, 04:14 AM
we are here discussing about if ICL concept of teams from different countries can work in BPL since here a force like BCCI will not be involved.

This was my original point as well. I think for all posts remotely mentioning BCCI we should put a disclaimer "This is not an attack on BCCI" in all caps to avoid hurting people's feelings

mufi_02
September 6, 2017, 10:25 AM
Interesting idea.

Not sure how big cricket is in Nepal and if any Nepalese company can buy a franchise and afford to buy international level cricketers.

I think Afg/Ireland are better options but as you said logistics will be an issue there.

It will be a completely requisitionary idea that has never been done before. So that's why I don't think BCB will take the risk.

Yankees
September 6, 2017, 03:31 PM

Great post :up:

Yankees
September 6, 2017, 04:00 PM
I think we can all agree that ICL was doomed to fail from the start. BCCI (just like BCB) is a government entity that has a complete monopoly on cricket in India. If I remeber correctly, BCB also put a ban on all ICL matches being televised in Bangladesh. So obviously a private company can never stand a chance at survival under those market conditions.

With that said, the people behind ICL were visionaries. It was the first T20 city based competition in the world (excluding England county system) and was basically copied by BCCI for IPL a year later. If what they did was so terrible, why did BCCI create the exact same thing? ICL beat IPL to the punch, had first mover advantage, and if IPL wasn't a government backed entity, then who knows what would have happened.

A similar thing happened in the US with basketball. There was the NBA league and then the ABA league was formed. NBA eventually won out and there was an acuquisition where 4 of the ABA teams joined the NBA. ABA actually pioneered the 3-point shot, which the NBA copied and is so prevalent in all the NBA games today. It made the NBA better in the long run.

My point is that when government has complete monopoly, its never a good thing. Development is slowed simply because it has no competition. Sometimes it takes a "rebel" league to show the way.

Yankees
September 12, 2017, 10:53 PM
Apologies for bringing up an old thread, but here's an interesting and relevant article about why the NFL's Jacksonville Jags keep playing "home games" in London (b/c of money) :

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/heres-losing-home-game-london-benefits-jacksonville-jaguars-054351876.html

London doesn't have a NFL style league of their own, so every time the Jags play, games are always sold out. The NFL also has considered having a NFL franchise in London in the future.

Why is the NFL focused on London and not Canada, where they actually have history of playing football? Because Canada already has the CFL. The UK has nothing.

Hence why I suggested Kathmandu, Nepal and not Sri Lanka, India, Pakistan, etc. as iDumb has repeatedly gone on about. You go where there is demand AND where the fans are void of any other substitutes.