PDA

View Full Version : Shakib to take sabbatical from Tests Cricket?

tiger1000
September 10, 2017, 08:19 AM
Disappointing if true

We will take a decision once he submits the official letter," BCB cricket operations chairman Akram Khan told Cricbuzz. "We just heard about such a thing but there is nothing official about it." According to sources, Shakib is ready to fulfill his national commitments in the limited-overs formats but isn't sure about going through the rigours of the longer form immediately.

It is believed Shakib is expected to submit the letter on Sunday (September 10) requesting approval for his stepping away from Tests. On Saturday, the BCB president Nazmul Hasan, at his residence, held several meetings with the board high-ups to weigh the matter.

"I think he will be part of the Test squad. We can only think of a replacement when we get an official letter from him. Until that arrives, we can always feel he is part of the Test squad," Minhajul told Cricbuzz on Sunday.

He will miss the SA tour and home series vs Sri Lanka

We don't get lot of test cricket as it is, rest him for other formats if need be, we're finally getting decent at tests

http://m.cricbuzz.com/amp/cricket-news/97001/shakib-al-hasan-mulls-immediate-six-month-break-from-tests-bangladesh-cricket-news

Yankees
September 10, 2017, 08:45 AM
I don't blame him, carrying an entire team can wreak havoc on your back.

On a serious note, I doubt it's true. That site looks piss poor and is probably of the "rumor has it" variety.

tiger1000
September 10, 2017, 08:47 AM
I don't blame him, carrying an entire team can wreak havoc on your back.

On a serious note, I doubt it's true. That site looks piss poor and is probably of the "rumor has it" variety.

Hopefully not, but quotes from officials make it more worrying

MarufH
September 10, 2017, 08:47 AM
You need to clarify that the article talks about 6 months and not permanent retirement. Anyways - I don't think anyone can imagine a team without shakib. If he feels his load is overwhelming, he should consider bowling less or batting down the order but we need him. Honestly, not a good time. We are too dependant on him.

Mods/OP - update the title with 6 months. Almost gave me a heart attack.

tiger1000
September 10, 2017, 08:53 AM
You need to clarify that the article talks about 6 months and not permanent retirement. Anyways - I don't think anyone can imagine a team without shakib. If he feels his load is overwhelming, he should consider bowling less or batting down the order but we need him. Honestly, not a good time. We are too dependant on him.

I said step away rather than retire, as I wrote it I thought it made sense, I'll edit it

tiger1000
September 10, 2017, 08:54 AM

He can play as a batsman if he wants really, someone who bowls 5-10 overs

MarufH
September 10, 2017, 08:55 AM
Thanks for updating the title.

Yankees
September 10, 2017, 08:56 AM
IF ITS TRUE than it might just be a subtle criticism of Mushy's captaincy and his over reliance on Shakib the last 2 tests. Obviously, he can't come out and say that his best friend is a crappy captain and running him to the ground.

MarufH
September 10, 2017, 09:00 AM
He can play as a batsman if he wants really, someone who bowls 5-10 overs

Problem is I doubt we can take 20 wkts without him. We can score decent runs without him thanks to tamim and mushy but not sure about our other bowlers. I want the truth behind this sudden decision. Is there a conflict with t20 league or is spin bowling coach riding too hard? What exactly is going on. He looked the most motivated i have ever seen him during the 1st test.

Eshen
September 10, 2017, 09:03 AM
If he is feeling burnt out, BCB should excuse him from SA Tests (we will lose those matches one way or the other). However, they need to ensure he will be available for home Tests against SL Dec-Jan.

tiger1000
September 10, 2017, 09:08 AM
Problem is I doubt we can take 20 wkts without him. We can score decent runs without him thanks to tamim and mushy but not sure about our other bowlers. I want the truth behind this sudden decision. Is there a conflict with t20 league or is spin bowling coach riding too hard? What exactly is going on. He looked the most motivated i have ever seen him during the 1st test.

He carries our bowling whilst he's one of the 3 that carry our batting

It just might be injuries, he's played as an all rounder with heavy workload for 10 years, don't know what his body is telling him

I will be majorly annoyed if he goes to some other t20 league during this period though

tiger1000
September 10, 2017, 09:11 AM
If he is feeling burnt out, BCB should excuse him from SA Tests (we will lose those matches one way or the other). However, they need to ensure he will be available for home Tests against SL Dec-Jan.

He must be available for Sri Lanka home series...I mean must

Cricket4All
September 10, 2017, 09:27 AM
He must be available for Sri Lanka home series...I mean must

How about giving him one year break from away/overseas Test matches as long as we get him to play all home Test matches ?

Actually if Sakib decides not to play any Test matches out of subcontinent anymore, then I do think I'll be complaining at all!

(I know he scored a double century in NZ recently, but still....)

tiger1000
September 10, 2017, 09:32 AM
How about giving him one year break from away/overseas Test matches as long as we get him to play all home Test matches ?

Actually if Sakib decides not to play any Test matches out of subcontinent anymore, then I do think I'll be complaining at all!

(I know he scored a double century in NZ recently, but still....)

His away record is better than his home record

We need him to have a hope of winning away, we won't beat south africa with him, but he can make it competitive

Eshen
September 10, 2017, 10:42 AM
Daily Star confirms the news -

Bangladesh Cricket Board media committee chairman Jalal Yunus informed The Daily Star of this development this evening. “We have received a letter from Shakib to the effect that he wants a six-month gap from Test cricket with a view to staying fresh for the long term. The board is yet to decide whether to grant the request.”

This development comes at a time when the BCB are set to name a 15-man Test squad to tour South Africa, with the squad scheduled to depart for Johannesburg on September 16. It was learnt that Shakib is unlikely to be a part of the Test squad for the two-Test series in South Africa.

http://www.thedailystar.net/sports/cricket/shakib-asks-6-month-break-tests-1460203

Yankees
September 10, 2017, 10:48 AM
This is actually not a bad thing:
1) He will get some time to get rejuvenated
2) Mushy's captaincy will get exposed badly enough for BCB to finally do something about it
3) Our team will get exposed and hopefully selectors will also do something about it
4) in 6 months, we will hopefully have a fresh Shakib, a better team, and a better captain.

Short term pain for long term gain.

Eshen
September 10, 2017, 10:58 AM
^^ Agree, stupidity of Mushfiq-Hathuru should be finally exposed, with Shakib not there to cover their blunders.

Feni_Heni
September 10, 2017, 11:00 AM
This is the trend across the world, so can't blame him for wanting a break (tbf - he has played a lot of cricket and playing cricket for Bangladesh has not been easy over the years).

But, if he then turns up to play in T20 tournaments across the world in those 6 months - I'm going to be pissed off.

Eshen
September 10, 2017, 12:44 PM
Selectors rattling over ‘Shakib’s decision’ of taking leave from Test cricket (http://www.bdcrictime.com/2017/09/selectors-rattling-over-shakibs-decision-of-taking-leave-from-test-cricket/)Reports also revealed BCB President Nazmul Hasan Papon fetched chief selector, national Test captain Mushfiqur Rahim, head coach Chandika Hathurusingha and national team manager Khaled Mahmud Shujon into his Gulshan residence to settle the squad without Shakib Al Hasan for the upcoming series but has failed to do so.

It is also known that the board has decided to grant a leave for three months to Shakib Al Hasan instead of his applied period of six months which means he will only be out of the Test series against South Africa. Bangladesh has no other Test series within this time span after the series against South Africa according to FTP.

Jadukor
September 10, 2017, 12:55 PM
No bowler would want to play under mushfiq. He bowls some people to death and others dont get an over an entire day. I still remember Robiul bowling a 100 overs in Zimbabwe series. Shakib is not a machine. He can come back once this idiotic captain is sacked

Zeeshan
September 10, 2017, 01:07 PM
We are having a tough season this year.

Jadukor
September 10, 2017, 01:08 PM
Mustafizur should also take a break or else he will have to bowl the entire day in SA

Eshen
September 10, 2017, 01:14 PM
Just imagine Tanbir Hayder being called up to replace Shakib :lol:

al Furqaan
September 10, 2017, 01:41 PM
^^ Agree, stupidity of Mushfiq-Hathuru should be finally exposed, with Shakib not there to cover their blunders.

Mushfiq hasn't done anything wrong.

Hathuri has left the team in all sorts of chaos. Drops Mominul to make room for Imrul and Sabbir, cant bother to give Mushy a role within the team. Changes batting lineups and orders more frequnetly than his tightie whities, and now cant manage Shakib properly.

This might be a decent idea. 6 months break will energize Shakib hopefully and allow us to look at a replacement for the long term future. Shakib has not been a reliable batsmen for us. we will defintiely miss him and its disappointing he wants to sit down. but he's also 30 and has to do everything for the team and this has been our busiest season in history.

Eclipse
September 10, 2017, 01:44 PM
He could've taken his break after SA tour. Anyway, he won't be missed as a bowler in south africa.

But we really need batsman shakib if we wanna take the first test to no 3 day against staffers. It's almost certain that without him the first test will end within 3 days.

In test Shakib has been performing really well as a batsman for last couple of years. Bangladesh team will definitely miss the batsman shakib.

Eclipse
September 10, 2017, 01:52 PM
Mushfiq hasn't done anything wrong.

Hathuri has left the team in all sorts of chaos. Drops Mominul to make room for Imrul and Sabbir, cant bother to give Mushy a role within the team. Changes batting lineups and orders more frequnetly than his tightie whities, and now cant manage Shakib properly.

This might be a decent idea. 6 months break will energize Shakib hopefully and allow us to look at a replacement for the long term future. Shakib has not been a reliable batsmen for us. we will defintiely miss him and its disappointing he wants to sit down. but he's also 30 and has to do everything for the team and this has been our busiest season in history.

I really don't know what's really Shakib's problem here. It's not as if Bangladesh plays loads of test in each season.

We usually play a handful of tests in each year. Shakib is a spinner and spinners r expected to bowl long spells.

Ppl here r going after mushy for absolutely no reason what so ever. It's a fact that shakib has chosen money over country. I don't blame him though. He has every right to take his own decision. But he has lost my respect today. Pathetic decision from shakib before an important away tour.

nsuRocks
September 10, 2017, 02:05 PM
This is not good at all. While our players cry and complain about not getting enough test cricket he suddenly asks for a leave of 6 months? How many times does he get to play in South Africa?
He has an exceptionally good bowling record there. 11 wickets at 20 per wicket and a strike rate of 36!
BCB should tell him to take rest from all odi/t20s for that period in lieu of abstaining from test cricket and no permission for any t20 league for that period as well.
On the other hand they could offer him test captaincy if he agrees.
The man could become the greatest allrounder ever and is clearly not thinking straight. Management needs to give him assurances that they will play with 5 bowlers from now on to reduce whatever extra burden he has been taking on from the day he started playing.
Ben Stokes is Englands 6th bowling option. Shakib must have the freedom to ball less overs if he prefers it

al Furqaan
September 10, 2017, 02:08 PM
fans are assuming it has something to do with Mushfiq, but all the knowledgable posters have mostly left BC...apart from myself there are only a handful of folks left here who actually understand cricket beyond what commentators blurt out on air and what gets printed on kaler kontho sports page.

Mushy has been captain since 2011, Shakib was a one man bowling attack for 80% of that time bowling 40 overs per innings on dead flat tracks. all of a sudden he will resent Mushy for bowling his best bowler 20 overs on a rank turner? thats BanglaCricket logic right there. this forums quality has dropped shockingly over the years.

the new kids are obviously too young to remember how Jaya or Atapattu bowled Murali back in the day.

My guess is Shakibs actions are aimed at Hathu and not Mushfiq. But looks like Roey has been coughing all over the forum and most posters caught his lunacy virus.

patriot
September 10, 2017, 02:19 PM
Unless there is some dirty politics in the dressing room or a personal problem, a pathetic decision really. I am not suprised though.

Shakib has acheived everything in his career so far with his talent alone. The guys poor match fitness reflects on his 'ants in pants' sort of batting and his poor body language on and off the field.

Why havent we produced a cricketer half as good as Kohli? India play almost every week, you dont see Kohli taking a bloody break from cricket to stay 'fresh' for the long term.

Shakib, you really want to stay fresh? Then stop playing in those T20 tournaments, stop going to china and elsewhere for promoting your brands, stop doing those C grade Ads.

If we were to succeed, the next generation of Bangladesh cricketers should look upon someone by the name of Benajamin Andrew Stokes. The only true number one all rounder in the game. Desire, passion, willpower, you name it. Not some lazy bloke masquerading as a professional cricketer.

iDumb
September 10, 2017, 02:22 PM
all the knowledgable posters have mostly left BC...apart from myself there are only a handful of folks left here who actually understand cricket beyond what commentators blurt out on air and what gets printed on kaler kontho sports page.

Lol .. welcome back ! Where have you been .

Yankees
September 10, 2017, 02:25 PM
This is not good at all. While our players cry and complain about not getting enough test cricket he suddenly asks for a leave of 6 months? How many times does he get to play in South Africa?

He will get to play there through Global T20 in the future if it stops clashing with BPL

Also, we don't know why he is requesting the sabbatical. It could be a nagging injury.

RazabQ
September 10, 2017, 02:30 PM
This has more likely to do with T20 and his other commercial interests. Or he probably just wants to spend time in Minnesota in fall with wife and kids. I doubt even Hathuru's dictatorial ways applies here. (And I won't dignify the Mushy-link ones with comment).

Yankees
September 10, 2017, 02:30 PM
all the knowledgable posters have mostly left BC...apart from myself there are only a handful of folks left here who actually understand cricket beyond what commentators blurt out on air and what gets printed on kaler kontho sports page.

This is rich. "hey I don't know any of you or your experience with watching and playing cricket, but I have been a part of an online forum longer than most of you so I know more than you and my opinions matter more." :facepalm:

Eclipse
September 10, 2017, 02:32 PM
Unless there is some dirty politics in the dressing room or a personal problem, a pathetic decision really. I am not suprised though.

Shakib has acheived everything in his career so far with his talent alone. The guys poor match fitness reflects on his 'ants in pants' sort of batting and his poor body language on and off the field.

Why havent we produced a cricketer half as good as Kohli? India play almost every week, you dont see Kohli taking a bloody break from cricket to stay 'fresh' for the long term.

Shakib, you really want to stay fresh? Then stop playing in those T20 tournaments, stop going to china and elsewhere for promoting your brands, stop doing those C grade Ads.

If we were to succeed, the next generation of Bangladesh cricketers should look upon someone by the name of Benajamin Andrew Stokes. The only true number one all rounder in the game. Desire, passion, willpower, you name it. Not some lazy bloke masquerading as a professional cricketer.

Don't bring kohli in the discussion. Kohli is something else. He is perhaps 50 times richer than shakib and he has achieved almost everything in cricket but he's still hungry for more. He's stills keen to serve his nation which is why he plays all three formats of the game but still enjoys each game like the way he enjoyed his very first international match.

And here we have shakib who gets tired after playing 5 tests in a season :facepalm:

I don't think it has got anything to do with fitness or anything. He isn't just interested in international cricket any more.

tiger1000
September 10, 2017, 02:32 PM

Stokes gets rested timely by England, you clearly don't watch England often

No one in international cricket has had Shakibs workload in the past 10 years

His ants in the pants technique has him averaging near 50 past few years

Saying that, if he plays t20 leagues during this 6 months that'll be ridiculous

RazabQ
September 10, 2017, 02:33 PM
In fairness to Asaad, I do wonder how many of our forum posters follow cricket seriously? As in they can tell you the difference between conventional and reverse swing or understand trigger movements in batting or the shoulder dip when driving or side spin/over spin and wrist attenuation and all that stuff? BTW I readily admit I'm not well versed in the nuances of fielding - I'm a crappy fielder :(

aklemalp
September 10, 2017, 02:35 PM
Isn't this topic spicy?

What kinda hell will break out once the news is confirmed and he is gone for good?

Get your act together BCB

tiger1000
September 10, 2017, 02:36 PM
Don't bring kohli in the discussion. Kohli is something else. He is perhaps 50 times richer than shakib and he has achieved almost everything in cricket but he's still hungry for more. He's stills keen to serve his nation which is why he plays all three formats of the game but still enjoys each game like the way he enjoyed his very first international match.

And here we have shakib who gets tired after playing 5 tests in a season :facepalm:

I don't think it has got anything to do with fitness or anything. He isn't just interested in international cricket any more.

Kohli is a batsmen not a all rounder, a batsman who only averages not much more than Shakib with the bat

Shakib if fatigued, isn't due to the season, it's due to the past 10 years

Kohli is still one of the fittest players around no doubt, but let's not pretend they do the same roles

Also 50 times richer? Didn't realise Kohlis a billionaire

RazabQ
September 10, 2017, 02:36 PM
Kohli and Shakib are not the same in their personal situation. I'd argue Shakib's domestic situation is more settled (and thus demands more of his attention and time). Kohli can spend 5 days a week at the gym and nets and there won't be any little one going "I miss you papa". You can debate the rightness or wrongness of marrying and starting a family vs focusing only on career but the reality remains that Shakib has other fish to fry.

SportingBD
September 10, 2017, 02:38 PM
I would have loved seeing Shakib in South Africa.
This was his chance to show the world he could perform against the big boys!

Also would have eradicated a lot of doubts about his no.1 rank (some claiming can't perform overseas)
But he decides to take a 6 months break. I feel like he could have waited after SA series.

Anyway, I just find that its a cheap move from him. Especially as he mentioned fatigue.. I just hope he doesn't enter some T20 league... because if he does.. that's not fatigue brothers...

aklemalp
September 10, 2017, 02:39 PM
In fairness to Asaad, I do wonder how many of our forum posters follow cricket seriously? As in they can tell you the difference between conventional and reverse swing or understand trigger movements in batting or the shoulder dip when driving or side spin/over spin and wrist attenuation and all that stuff? BTW I readily admit I'm not well versed in the nuances of fielding - I'm a crappy fielder :(
I think I should open a cricket academy:D

In all seriousness, the way cricket is fed to the masses these days, it is hard for the people to bother with what is reverse swing...because they don't watch 'boring ' test cricket. Most people (new age fans) wanna see boundaries at a high frequency. Rapturous celebrations.

I have always been a fan of the leg slip.

Sorry for going off-topic

patriot
September 10, 2017, 02:47 PM
Kohli and Shakib are not the same in their personal situation. I'd argue Shakib's domestic situation is more settled (and thus demands more of his attention and time). Kohli can spend 5 days a week at the gym and nets and there won't be any little one going "I miss you papa". You can debate the rightness or wrongness of marrying and starting a family vs focusing only on career but the reality remains that Shakib has other fish to fry.

What do the following have in common?

Kobe Bryant
Stephen Curry
Eden Hazard
Lionel Messi
Sachin Tendulkar
Wayne Rooney

Yes, you guessed it right . Some Married as young as 20 and they all took rest every six months/year in their career to remain 'fresh' for the long term.

Eshen
September 10, 2017, 02:50 PM

Also would have eradicated a lot of doubts about his no.1 rank (some claiming can't perform overseas)
Shakib has two fifers against SA in SA. He does not have anything new to prove here. Idiots will keep saying idiotic stuff. Thank God Shakib has a thick enough skin not to be bothered by them.

SportingBD
September 10, 2017, 02:51 PM
What do the following have in common?

Kobe Bryant
Stephen Curry
Eden Hazard
Lionel Messi
Sachin Tendulkar
Wayne Rooney

Yes, you guessed it right . Some Married as young as 20 and they all took rest every six months/year in their career to remain 'fresh' for the long term.

:floor: Good one bro.

Its a little blatant to me. His either afraid to go SA or his got his head around T20!
Either one of these two.

Can't be fatigue when BD hardly plays too much test cricket.
+ It's Shakib himself that decides to take part in T20 tournaments around the world.
BCB don't force him to do that, and he feels fatigued playing test cricket?

Also, as soon as we get rid of Mushfiqur, the better!
man that guy kills players off!!! really man!!!

SportingBD
September 10, 2017, 02:58 PM
Shakib has a fifer against SA in SA. He does not have anything new to prove here. Idiots will keep saying idiotic stuff. Thank God Shakib has a thick enough skin not to be bothered by them.

He struggled with his batting that time, his bowling has always been top class.

Eclipse
September 10, 2017, 02:59 PM

But he decides to take a 6 months break. I feel like he could have waited after SA series.

Anyway, I just find that its a cheap move from him. Especially as he mentioned fatigue.. I just hope he doesn't enter some T20 league... because if he does.. that's not fatigue brothers...

Shakib would've been taken to the cleaners by the saffers if he had decided to play that series.

The only reason shakib has somewhat respectable bowling figure in test is because of the fact that he has played only 7,yes only 7 tests outside home in last 5 years.

In last 5/6 years most of the time he bowled on underprepared wickets of mirpur and ctg which greatly inflated his stats. He won't be missed as a bowler in south africa.

SportingBD
September 10, 2017, 03:01 PM
Shakib would've been taken to the cleaners by the saffers if he had decided to play that series.

The only reason shakib has somewhat respectable bowling figure in test is because of the fact that he has played only 7,yes only 7 tests outside home in last 5 years.

In last 5/6 years most of the time he bowled on underprepared wickets of mirpur and ctg which greatly inflated his stats. He won't be missed as a bowler in south africa.

This guy is a beast when it comes to bowling, I have no doubt about that.

It's his batting that would have been really tested.

Eshen
September 10, 2017, 03:05 PM
To me, it's plain and simple - Shakib knows very well he will be exhausting himself in those two Test matches for losing causes. Rest of the team is not up to the scratch to mount any challenge against SA in SA, BD will most likely lose both matches by innings.

After 10 years, being thrashed in this manner over and over is no fun anymore.

I would still say Mushfiq did his part to demoralize the team. In the last match, when our batting was in tatters, when it was painfully clear that we needed our best right handed batsman to stop the carnage by Lyon, our captain refused to step up. How can you still remain loyal to this coward?!

Eclipse
September 10, 2017, 03:16 PM
Kohli is a batsmen not a all rounder, a batsman who only averages not much more than Shakib with the bat

Shakib if fatigued, isn't due to the season, it's due to the past 10 years

Kohli is still one of the fittest players around no doubt, but let's not pretend they do the same roles

Also 50 times richer? Didn't realise Kohlis a billionaire

Shakib has played only 7 away tests in last 5 years. That's the number of tests kohli plays in one single away tour.

They can't simply be compared. Kohli is easily one of the greatest athletes of all time. He's the leader of his IPL team and plays all of the matches where as shakib just sits in the dug out in the very same league.

Kohli is one of the best fielders in world cricket if not the best. Compared to him shakib is, well let's not get there.

Kohli plays way, way more international matches than shakib and the whole Indian team has been ridding on his back for last several years but still it hasn't made him fatigued.

As I said, kohli and shakib r two completely different level of athletes. One wants to be the greatest of all time whereas the other just wants to remain happy by being the best all rounder of a no 9 ranked team.

Equinox
September 10, 2017, 03:29 PM
fans are assuming it has something to do with Mushfiq, but all the knowledgable posters have mostly left BC...apart from myself there are only a handful of folks left here who actually understand cricket beyond what commentators blurt out on air and what gets printed on kaler kontho sports page.

Mushy has been captain since 2011, Shakib was a one man bowling attack for 80% of that time bowling 40 overs per innings on dead flat tracks. all of a sudden he will resent Mushy for bowling his best bowler 20 overs on a rank turner? thats BanglaCricket logic right there. this forums quality has dropped shockingly over the years.

the new kids are obviously too young to remember how Jaya or Atapattu bowled Murali back in the day.

My guess is Shakibs actions are aimed at Hathu and not Mushfiq. But looks like Roey has been coughing all over the forum and most posters caught his lunacy virus.
You are spot on about the quality of posts these days. This forum has really gone to the dogs.

Regardless of who the action is aimed at, I find it strange that people are coming up with conspiracy theories rather than discussing the shocking thought process of a senior player such as him.

This team has been getting humiliated for years in Test cricket and has been in much worse shape than the current state of the team and all of a sudden it has gotten too much for him? The logic of some of the posters :facepalm:. If he thinks that 4 Tests in 6 months is too much of a ask then he can retire. Couldn't care less. He has been a nuisance for much of his career. BCB needs to show some backbone here and show once and for all that the team is above any player.

tiger1000
September 10, 2017, 03:37 PM
You are spot on about the quality of posts these days. This forum has really gone to the dogs.

Regardless of who the action is aimed at, I find it strange that people are coming up with conspiracy theories rather than discussing the shocking thought process of a senior player such as him.

This team has been getting humiliated for years in Test cricket and has been in much worse shape than the current state of the team and all of a sudden it has gotten too much for him? The logic of some of the posters :facepalm:. If he thinks that 4 Tests in 6 months is too much of a ask then he can retire. Couldn't care less. He has been a nuisance for much of his career. BCB needs to show some backbone here and show once and for all that the team is above any player.

Yet you don't find it strange to not consider whether he is being bothered by injuries?

You instantly assume it's just his thought process rather than physical problems?

That's not strange?

Eshen
September 10, 2017, 03:37 PM
BTW, ABD also took a break from Test cricket, for a much longer time. His teammates said they will gladly welcome him back whenever he is ready to return.

WI team still want Gayle back in the Test team.

I guess those boards lack backbone too?!

Typical Bangladeshi fans, have to go over the top with their reactions on everything :facepalm:

tiger1000
September 10, 2017, 03:39 PM

His figures are better away than at home, same cannot be said of lesser spinners like ashwin and Jadeja

Equinox
September 10, 2017, 03:40 PM
Angelo Mathews and the rest of the senior Sri Lankan players should follow suit. I feel proud in a way. A Bangladeshi player is showing the rest of the world a new, innovative way to conduct yourself whenever the team is struggling or when you are unhappy with the way the team is being managed.

tiger1000
September 10, 2017, 03:42 PM
Angelo Mathews and the rest of the senior Sri Lankan players should follow suit. I feel proud in a way. A Bangladeshi player is showing the rest of the world a new, innovative way to conduct yourself whenever the team is struggling or when you are unhappy with the way the team is being managed.

Matthews probably should, he always gets injured

Equinox
BTW, ABD also took a break from Test cricket, for a much longer time. His teammates said they will gladly welcome him back whenever he is ready to return.

WI team still want Gayle back in the Test team.

I guess those boards lack backbone too?!

Typical Bangladeshi fans, have to go over the top with their reactions on everything

Did AB take a break as a 'protest' against coaching and captaincy as you are suggesting?

That is the 'thought process' I am talking about and the justification from people like you is what I find shocking.

Yankees

And exactly how are you any different than the conspiracy theorists? You don't know Shakib's thought process or the real reasons yourself. Yet here you are literally doing the same thing. Pot, meet kettle.

tiger1000
September 10, 2017, 03:43 PM
Did AB take a break as a 'protest' against coaching and captaincy as you are suggesting?

Did Shakib?

Equinox
September 10, 2017, 03:46 PM
Did Shakib?
That's what some people are suggesting and then justifying such actions.

Yankees
September 10, 2017, 03:46 PM
Can everyone please stop responding to Eclipse. You are giving him a voice and allowing him to continue with his nonsensical India loving/BD hating posts. He loves Kohli so much that he dreams of being Anusha sharma. This is not someone to have a discussion with.

adamnsu
September 10, 2017, 03:49 PM
Obvious we don't have anyone to fill Shakibs spot. However it will be interesting to see how the Selectors act to fill his void.

tiger1000
September 10, 2017, 03:51 PM
Can everyone please stop responding to Eclipse. You are giving him a voice and allowing him to continue with his nonsensical India loving/BD hating posts. He loves Kohli so much that he dreams of being Anusha sharma. This is not someone to have a discussion with.

I kind of find him entertaining rather than annoying...

tiger1000
September 10, 2017, 03:54 PM
That's what some people are suggesting and then justifying such actions.

Which experts are saying this, and with what source or basis

And are they justifying it, or using it to bash mushfiqs captaincy more?

Even if they are, they probably enjoy coming up with bs

But you complain about conspiracy theories, yet you're the main one running with a conspiracy theory

Given his work load past 10 years and his general more positive mood of late, you really think it's Shakib being upset that has led him to the break

Maybe it has, who knows, but right now you have no basis to go off of it

Eshen
September 10, 2017, 04:00 PM

That is the 'thought process' I am talking about and the justification from people like you is what I find shocking.Why do think it's a protest?

It can be genuinely exhausting from him to deal with such incompetent team management and continue to carry the team on his back. He is not walking away from the team for good, just requested break for two series (which is now reduced to one series only).

After all, this is only a game, not life and death. No need for him to burn himself out. If if he exhausted for whatever reason, he is entitled to a break.

Eclipse
September 10, 2017, 04:00 PM
Did Shakib?

Fact remains the same. Shakib has decided to retire from test cricket for six months WITHOUT any apparent reason.

For the first time in the history of Bangladesh Cricket we've got the chance to play some back to back test serieses in alien conditions against some top class teams.

First it was against NZ, then ind, then SL, then against Aus and now we r going to play against SA in SA.

It's the best time for our players to hone their skills and get themselves accustomed to different playing condition. But what r we seeing? Yes, we r seeing that one of the key players of our team has decided to retire from test just before the important SA tour. It's just pathetic.

tiger1000
September 10, 2017, 04:03 PM
Fact remains the same. Shakib has decided to retire from test cricket for six months WITHOUT any apparent reason.

For the first time in the history of Bangladesh Cricket we've got the chance to play some back to back test serieses in alien conditions against some top class teams.

First it was against NZ, then ind, then SL, then against Aus and now we r going to play against SA in SA.

It's the best time for our players to hone their skills and get themselves accustomed to different playing condition. But what r we seeing? Yes, we r seeing that one of the key players of our team has decided to retire from test just before the important SA tour.

Luckily he doesn't have to prove anything on those conditions, unlike home track bullies like ashwin and Jadeja

Eshen
September 10, 2017, 04:07 PM
Even greats like Murali and Kumble don't have back to back fifers against SA in SA. So, yeah, Shakib has nothing to prove whatsoever in this Test series.

al Furqaan
September 10, 2017, 04:14 PM

I cant comment much on those topics, but I'll stay out of it.

But we have guys who think they know how to captain a Test team because they've captained stick cricket.

Bowling Shafiul in Mirpur with 5 slips when Warner and Smith are on a 130 run paternship wont deliver a Test win. Your bowl your spinners on a dustbowl, duh!

al Furqaan
September 10, 2017, 04:17 PM
Lol .. welcome back ! Where have you been .

I asked Doc Zunaid for a 6 month break to manage my workload since Im unhappy with the BC moderators and so I can balance my committments to foreign cricket forums.

mufi_02
September 10, 2017, 04:39 PM
A rather surprising request from Shakib. If he is fatigued (playing as the main all rounder in all formats), then taking few months off isn't a big issue.

I don't believe he is doing this to prove a point regarding mushy/haturu.

brockley
September 10, 2017, 05:51 PM
Will probably be a T20 pro for 6 months,doubt he will get a Big Bash deal tho.

MohammedC
September 10, 2017, 05:57 PM
If he wants a break then give him the break.

NoName
September 10, 2017, 05:58 PM
You guys are making a mountain out of a mole-hill with these conspiracy theories.

Though 6 months break is a tad bit too much

aklemalp
September 10, 2017, 06:00 PM
Him dancing like it's 1967 after he took the wicket of Wade in the first test didn't show any signs of fatigue then....it was the hunger of a victory captured in that moment.

adamnsu
September 10, 2017, 06:00 PM
Why couldn't Kayes and Shafiul take such breaks for a much longer period

jabbar
September 10, 2017, 06:05 PM
IF ITS TRUE than it might just be a subtle criticism of Mushy's captaincy and his over reliance on Shakib the last 2 tests. Obviously, he can't come out and say that his best friend is a crappy captain and running him to the ground.

Yes this seems like a subtle message to the captain. Also indicates some unrest with the team management, what with the Mominul debacle and Papon's comments about Mushfiq's captaincy...

jabbar
September 10, 2017, 06:11 PM

It's the best time for our players to hone their skills and get themselves accustomed to different playing condition. But what r we seeing? Yes, we r seeing that one of the key players of our team has decided to retire from test just before the important SA tour. It's just pathetic.

Agree how pathetic it is.
Shakib should stop playing IPL and BBL. Save his energy for Test. Plenty of time to play IPL and BBL when you're retired from intl cricket.

5tonne
September 10, 2017, 06:56 PM
I don't think Mushy's captaincy has anything to do with it. No one can force Shakib to do anything if he doesn't want to. Plus, they have a very good relationship since the BKSP days. Shakib asked for the break after first test, not second. To me it looks like a preplanned decision. Most probably he is using the fatigue as an excuse. He gets fatigued after scoring a big half century (lol) but he doesn't ask for a break from the next match. If he wanted to take a break from all types of cricket I would understand but he is asking break only from test cricket. By doing that he is trying to keep his options open for playing t20 leagues. Someone brought up ABD's case as a comparison. ABD had suffered from a major injury which Shakib didn't. Shakib's is more like a niggle. Shakib's case is more similar to Gayle than ABD. Also, I don't believe Shakib is scared of losing his ranking points or not performing in SA. Those who follow him for long enough know Shakib doesn't care about any of those. Moreover, he is much more experienced now than he faced SA last. And his recent test records in home and abroad is pretty good.

Saying all these, I totally respect his right to ask for a break for whatever reason. I am just trying to figure out the real reason behind it out of curiosity and also the fact that the team will be significantly weakened due to his absence.

Rifat
September 10, 2017, 07:34 PM
Good decision from Shakib. We need him fresh and at his 100% best for 2019 World cup, the ultimate cricket event. He has been traveling non-stop and playing cricket non-stop for a while now. Taking couple of months off is not a bad idea.

Time for Nasir Hossain(Bangladeshi Gunda Mastaan Cricketer) to step up. Shakib is a human being after all, he is not a machine. It's unreasonable, naive and unfair to ask and expect fifers and centuries every single match from one single man. Bangladesh needs this. It's never ever a good idea to be overtly reliant on one man(two man in some cases) show. The Nasir's, The Litton's, the Mosaddeks, The Soumyas, The Sabbir's The Shafiuls, Taksin Roy better prove their Salaries worth...

tiger1000
September 10, 2017, 07:42 PM
I don't think Mushy's captaincy has anything to do with it. No one can force Shakib to do anything if he doesn't want to. Plus, they have a very good relationship since the BKSP days. Shakib asked for the break after first test, not second. To me it looks like a preplanned decision. Most probably he is using the fatigue as an excuse. He gets fatigued after scoring a big half century (lol) but he doesn't ask for a break from the next match. If he wanted to take a break from all types of cricket I would understand but he is asking break only from test cricket. By doing that he is trying to keep his options open for playing t20 leagues. Someone brought up ABD's case as a comparison. ABD had suffered from a major injury which Shakib didn't. Shakib's is more like a niggle. Shakib's case is more similar to Gayle than ABD. Also, I don't believe Shakib is scared of losing his ranking points or not performing in SA. Those who follow him for long enough know Shakib doesn't care about any of those. Moreover, he is much more experienced now than he faced SA last. And his recent test records in home and abroad is pretty good.

Saying all these, I totally respect his right to ask for a break for whatever reason. I am just trying to figure out the real reason behind it out of curiosity and also the fact that the team will be significantly weakened due to his absence.

Yh I think some of the guys are reading too much into this

Most likely he's been carrying niggles for a while and it's just getting on top of him, I fully understand him needing time off, but don't see why he can't be ready by Sri Lanka series

Rifat
September 10, 2017, 07:43 PM
I think he should be available again for SL series

MarufH
September 10, 2017, 08:52 PM
[বাংলা]অস্ট্রেলিয়া সিরিজের পর থেকেই জ্বরে ভুগছেন টেস্টের শীর্ষ এ অলরাউন্ডার। শুধু টেস্ট নয়, তিন ফরম্যাটেই ব্যাটিং-বোলিং-ফিল্ডিংয়ে মাথার ঘাম পায়ে ফেলতে হয় সাকিবকে। তাতে ক্লান্তিতে আক্রান্ত হওয়া অস্বাভাবিক নয়। সে কারণ দেখিয়েই টেস্ট থেকে সাময়িক ছুটি চেয়ে আবেদন করেছেন সাকিব।[/বাংলা]

He has fever according to this article (http://www.kalerkantho.com/print-edition/sports/2017/09/11/541225). In lieu of that, I think he deserves a break.

Night_wolf
September 10, 2017, 09:39 PM

do you know what happened the last time he bowled in a test in SA? get your facts right before you utter garbage

iDumb
September 10, 2017, 09:52 PM
I asked Doc Zunaid for a 6 month break to manage my workload since Im unhappy with the BC moderators and so I can balance my committments to foreign cricket forums.

hah! BC moderators. Dont get me started on them. They need a little balance in their live outside the forum too for clear mind.

anyways welcome back.

regarding shakib:

Not sure about 6 months break but if he requested off from south africa test series... I think he should be granted. He earned it after serving us over a decade.

Unless it is some sort of political move... like shakib noc/hathuri in the beginning... who knows. an odd request i think ... aint like we play lot of cricket... he can easily skip some of the domestic league competition if he wants rests... ie bpl . Obviously not ipl that's one of his main income.

but yyeah whatever it is.. give him the break. becuase if it's genuine concern for for body and mind he can always retire fromt test cricket and we don't want that

DinRaat.
September 10, 2017, 10:53 PM
Good time to take a rest, it's his choice. Hope we uncover a new batting/bowling talent, while he is gone.

Gowza
September 10, 2017, 11:37 PM
Wonder if mehedi will get more batting responsibility because of this.

iDumb
September 11, 2017, 12:29 AM
Good time to take a rest, it's his choice. Hope we uncover a new batting/bowling talent, while he is gone.

It's not really his choice. He is an employee of the BCB. It's BCB's choice.. his wants unless he "resigns".

tiger1000
September 11, 2017, 05:35 AM
Why couldn't Kayes and Shafiul take such breaks for a much longer period

Cause in the past 10 years one did ok around 10-11, other did excellent 14-16, apart from that they've done f all

Wickets
September 11, 2017, 05:44 AM
Luckily he doesn't have to prove anything on those conditions, unlike home track bullies like ashwin and Jadeja

Wonder what statements would have been made if Jimmy Anderson had wimped out of the 5 match test series in India (where he had already proven himself) as Shakib is doing with the South Africa series...

Eclipse
September 11, 2017, 06:23 AM
do you know what happened the last time he bowled in a test in SA? get your facts right before you utter garbage

Yes, of course. A cricket enthusiast and a die hard Bangladeshi fan like me is expected to such small details. :D

Who can forget those humiliating innings defeat.

DinRaat.
September 11, 2017, 06:36 AM
Yes, of course. A cricket enthusiast and a die hard Bangladeshi fan like me is expected to such small details. :D

Not to mention, that was when Shakib was at his prime, who knows how he performs, in the highways of SA.

Night_wolf
September 11, 2017, 06:42 AM

lol what a "du mukhi" comment, if you are a Bangladesh fan you will remember details which mattered. Shakib at that series took back to back 5wk halls, in an era where 5wk halls were a rare thing for us , it was a big deal. specially against SA in SA.

we were taking about how rubbish shakib was and how we dont need him in the team for SA tour right? how BD's innings defeat came into picture?

tsk tsk you are losing your troll charisma, pick up your game.

although I suggest not to pick up that much, we do have a rule against too much trolling

Eclipse
September 11, 2017, 06:52 AM
Not to mention, that was when Shakib was at his prime, who knows how he performs, in the highways of SA.

Absolutely. Shakib isn't half of the bowler now as he was back then.

Eclipse
September 11, 2017, 06:55 AM
Did staffers face shakib before that test? I highly doubt it. So, there's a strong possibility that his novelty factor also played a role in those two 5w hauls.

What's even funnier is most of the bandwagoners who hails him as one of best all rounder of modern time(which is off course not true) r conveniently ignoring that shakib averaged 10 with bat in that series and repeatedly got owned by the south african bowlers.

Perhaps it's too embarrassing for them. If based on past two fluke performance we can assume that he would've done well with the ball this time too, can we similarly assume that he would've batted like a tail ender this time too just like the way he did in his first series in south africa? :)

Night_wolf
September 11, 2017, 07:02 AM
oh god novelty factor for shakib..what more :lol:

Eclipse
September 11, 2017, 07:13 AM
oh god novelty factor for shakib..what more :lol:

The gist of mys posts is quite simple. Shakib was a pretty decent spinner back then. I have no intention to belittle his performance against staffers.

But his bowling has regressed drastically in last 2/3 years while his batting has improved. I've already stated that he'll be missed as a batter.

But he won't be missed as a bowler. Shakib needs rank turners to take wickets which he'll obviously won't get in south africa, he won't be that effective there and therefore won't be missed. There's a reason why he averages 58 with the ball in ODIs and over 40 in tests in last two years outside BD.

Tigers_eye
September 11, 2017, 07:16 AM
This is a warning for all of you.

IGNORE THE TROLL. Do not feed the troll. No matter how much offensive, full of lies, ignorant, uninformed posts it seems like to you.

Ignore. as those posts do not exist. Ignore the current and future posts. Fools, if you can't ignore.

tiger1000
September 11, 2017, 07:41 AM
Did staffers face shakib before that test? I highly doubt it. So, there's a strong possibility that his novelty factor also played a role in those two 5w hauls.

What's even funnier is most of the bandwagoners who hails him as one of best all rounder of modern time(which is off course not true) r conveniently ignoring that shakib averaged 10 with bat in that series and repeatedly got owned by the south african bowlers.

Perhaps it's too embarrassing for them. If based on past two fluke performance we can assume that he would've done well with the ball this time too, can we similarly assume that he would've batted like a tail ender this time too just like the way he did in his first series in south africa? :)

Yh Shakib was poor with the bat that series, almost as bad as 'king' Kholi being sonned by Anderson and Co in England, talk about limited players

tiger1000
September 11, 2017, 07:43 AM
Wonder what statements would have been made if Jimmy Anderson had wimped out of the 5 match test series in India (where he had already proven himself) as Shakib is doing with the South Africa series...

Wimped out, Anderson like Shakib has served his country long and hard, if he wanted a rest, so be it

RealSports
September 11, 2017, 09:12 AM
Whether he misses or not, it won't make a difference to the result. South Africa are expected to win this with ease. He's obviously doing this for attention or something. Bangladesh barely get to play tests, so it makes no sense to avoid this tour. Also, Bangladesh had a good break after the Champions Trophy, so there's no excuse for him. It's his fault that he's participating in these T20 leagues for his own benefit. I'm sorry, but there's no reasonable justification for this. He should be avoiding the BPL if he wanted a break from the sport.

Fazal
September 11, 2017, 09:36 AM
Let him take his mush needed sabbatical leave. It will help both in long term: Sakib as well as the team.

Sakib, when/if he comes back he will come back with 100% motivated. And the team will learn to live without a star player and hopefully a new player will step in. Players (in the team) need to learn how to fill up a gap created by the absence of a star performer.

I think when a star player feel that (for whatever reason) he needs a break, I think BCB should give them the break. There should be no hard feeling from either end.

Ish
September 11, 2017, 10:30 AM
Let him take his mush needed sabbatical leave. It will help both in long term: Sakib as well as the team.

Sakib, when/if he comes back he will come back with 100% motivated. And the team will learn to live without a star player and hopefully a new player will step in. Players (in the team) need to learn how to fill up a gap created by the absence of a star performer.

I think when a star player feel that (for whatever reason) he needs a break, I think BCB should give them the break. There should be no hard feeling from either end.

:up: Lot of haters on this board, but glad someone gets it

SportingBD
September 11, 2017, 01:14 PM

I hope in that 6 months time, he doesn't consider retiring from test cricket.
It maybe tempting if he sees there's more value to him and his family not playing test cricket.

Tigers_eye
September 11, 2017, 01:30 PM

I think when a star player feel that (for whatever reason) he needs a break, I think BCB should give them the break. There should be no hard feeling from either end.Plus a burned out Shakib will not perform they way we all want him to perform. We will have to deal with 10 threads of Sacking him. Raat din khali ei shob bajey thread portey hobay. I can already see the future with a burned out Shakib. :)

brockley
September 11, 2017, 05:49 PM
How has Shakib's recent workload been?

Since 2015, Shakib has represented as many as seven franchise T20 sides, across five different competitions. Among the world's top five allrounders, his franchise T20 workload has been the highest, having played as many as 73 matches across these competitions. While he has played each of Bangladesh's 14 Tests in this period, that is by far the lowest in the field and is just over a third of Moeen's 37 Tests. Among players who made their debut around the time Shakib burst on to the international scene, Shakib, along with captain Mushfiqur, remains among the rare ones to still be playing all three formats.
Cricinfo.

Yankees
September 11, 2017, 05:58 PM
It's very easy to call Shakib selfish and blame his reasons for being tired on T20 franchise cricket that he plays. It's easy for us to say oh he should play for his country and play test cricket. Unlike other world stars, whose central contracts are worth millions, Shakib gets very little from BCB. And unlike other Bangladeshi cricketers, Shakib is actually good enough to get picked by all these franchises. He leaves alot of money on the table everytime he cuts his IPL, CPL, BBL stints short to come and play more meaningless bilaterals for Bangladesh.

We can say he should pick country over money. But you are not in his position. It's human nature to want to earn as much money as possible, and his cricket years are limited. Also, most of us live and work in western countries. We have abandoned the country for money. So how is it fair to expect Shakib to not do the same?

iDumb
September 11, 2017, 08:25 PM
It's very easy to call Shakib selfish and blame his reasons for being tired on T20 franchise cricket that he plays. It's easy for us to say oh he should play for his country and play test cricket. Unlike other world stars, whose central contracts are worth millions, Shakib gets very little from BCB. And unlike other Bangladeshi cricketers, Shakib is actually good enough to get picked by all these franchises. He leaves alot of money on the table everytime he cuts his IPL, CPL, BBL stints short to come and play more meaningless bilaterals for Bangladesh.

We can say he should pick country over money. But you are not in his position. It's human nature to want to earn as much money as possible, and his cricket years are limited. Also, most of us live and work in western countries. We have abandoned the country for money. So how is it fair to expect Shakib to not do the same?

Don't be fooled. Shakib makes more money than majority of non-indian big stars. That Australian paper on them playing "paupers" were hilarious becuase shakib makes more money than all of them.

He himself mentioned BCB contract money is neglible. Bulk of his money is from endorsements. And a lot of are from these franchises but he can more than afford to skip many of those as without representing Bangladesh and its glory - his endorsements should go down.

Shakib needs Bangaldesh my friend.

Grameen phone aint gonna pay him if he lifts CPL trophy but if he brings a test series for Bangladesh then grameen will plaster his face all over....

iDumb
September 11, 2017, 08:28 PM
Shakib al hasan's net worth is close to 40 million dollars... there is nothing wrong with anyone saying he should give up some of these t20 schedules if it's too much... (bar IPL - he doesnt play there much anyway)

iDumb
September 11, 2017, 09:27 PM
Shakib al hasan's net worth is close to 40 million dollars... there is nothing wrong with anyone saying he should give up some of these t20 schedules if it's too much... (bar IPL - he doesnt play there much anyway)

Just to put up an example, one of the biggest world wide demand star last decade in t20 has been Chris Gayle. Despite getting so much money from all of these tournaments his networth is still paltry only because he is not as marketable.

If he was from Bnagladesh and played for BD his networth would easily be 4 to 5x more. It is counterintuive given BD is a "poor" country in the eyes of many but numbers and popularity do not lie.

BD players aren't missing a whole lot by missing out on lesser popular t20 competitions... specilly those that get signed up for 50k or so. It's joke money in grand scheme of things.

So playing for Bangladesh national team has its merit even if contract salary is only 20k a year over the lesser known t20.. cpl, bpl, big bash, psl, global t20.

tonoy
September 11, 2017, 09:48 PM
I am one of Shakib's biggest fan. If Shakib really wishes to take six months off then I think we have no choice but to accept it. But I would question the timing for such request. There is no doubt that being an allrounder takes quite a toll on the body especially if you are the team's best batsmen and bowler in the Test Arena. But let's not kid ourselves here. The national team had like about a 2 month break. The whole team hasn't even played 10 tests this year. There is no way playing a few two match test series should have him burnt out.

Shakib can afford to play all these leagues for months but he feels burnt out after playing couple of test matches? Heck he was even in the cpl 3 days before the first test match and I was still okay with it as I thought he was professional enough to handle such workload.

Test cricket is the ultimate form. It's what creates a name for the player. And it's not everyday that Bangladesh gets to play SA in SA. For an emerging team like Bangladesh to lose such an important player at this crucial stage is nothing short of a travesty. Shakib has left the whole team and the whole nation high and dry at such an important tour.

I would've understood if it was an injury concern or even an important life event. But if it is just to feel refreshed, then he should have prioritized his commitments and maybe skip few fringe leagues. He should realize that it's playing for Bangladesh that puts him in the top echelon of the game and not Kolkata shepherds or guyanese curries or any of these 3rd rate fringe teams. It's easy money but he will soon be forgotten if he really enjoys sitting on the bench that much then let him.

iDumb
September 11, 2017, 09:58 PM
I am one of Shakib's biggest fan. If Shakib really wishes to take six months off then I think we have no choice but to accept it. But I would question the timing for such request. There is no doubt that being an allrounder takes quite a toll on the body especially if you are the team's best batsmen and bowler in the Test Arena. But let's not kid ourselves here. The national team had like about a 2 month break. The whole team hasn't even played 10 tests this year. There is no way playing a few two match test series should have him burnt out.

Shakib can afford to play all these leagues for months but he feels burnt out after playing couple of test matches? Heck he was even in the cpl 3 days before the first test match and I was still okay with it as I thought he was professional enough to handle such workload.

Test cricket is the ultimate form. It's what creates a name for the player. And it's not everyday that Bangladesh gets to play SA in SA. For an emerging team like Bangladesh to lose such an important player at this crucial stage is nothing short of a travesty. Shakib has left the whole team and the whole nation high and dry at such an important tour.

I would've understood if it was an injury concern or even an important life event. But if it is just to feel refreshed, then he should have prioritized his commitments and maybe skip few fringe leagues. He should realize that it's playing for Bangladesh that puts him in the top echelon of the game and not Kolkata shepherds or guyanese curries or any of these 3rd rate fringe teams. It's easy money but he will soon be forgotten if he really enjoys sitting on the bench that much then let him.

This! Could not have agreed more. I siad it before and will say it again.. i can not stand when our players feel BD owe them something instead of the opposite. Recent outburst by his spouse gives a bit glimpse of that thought process.

his wife likes beaches so he doesn't skip CPL.

I think besides ipl and bpl he shoud skip everything else if he feels burt out.

Regardless, he needs to be back and it is the first time he requested in over a decade so i think being a senior player his wish should be respected. But needs to be made aware that he can go WITHOUT these fringe tourneys and where his true allegiance should lie....

Night_wolf
September 11, 2017, 11:10 PM

Great Post :up:

Said everything that was in my mind

Gowza
September 11, 2017, 11:21 PM

Top post! Totally agree.

DinRaat.
September 12, 2017, 12:02 AM

Please,please give me a source, this is all speculation.

DinRaat.
September 12, 2017, 12:05 AM
Just to put up an example, one of the biggest world wide demand star last decade in t20 has been Chris Gayle. Despite getting so much money from all of these tournaments his networth is still paltry only because he is not as marketable.

If he was from Bnagladesh and played for BD his networth would easily be 4 to 5x more. It is counterintuive given BD is a "poor" country in the eyes of many but numbers and popularity do not lie.

BD players aren't missing a whole lot by missing out on lesser popular t20 competitions... specilly those that get signed up for 50k or so. It's joke money in grand scheme of things.

So playing for Bangladesh national team has its merit even if contract salary is only 20k a year over the lesser known t20.. cpl, bpl, big bash, psl, global t20.

https://i.imgflip.com/1vpj5h.jpg
You on weed.

al Furqaan
September 12, 2017, 12:26 AM

Has it occured to anyone that there could be a dozen legit reasons for Shakib asking for a break? Maybe he has issues with the coach. Maybe he is exhausted. Maybe he is suffering from anxiety, maybe something happened to his wife or child. Tamim left UK suddenly and we still dont know why. So lets give Shakib the benifit of the doubt.

Eclipse
September 12, 2017, 12:29 AM
https://i.imgflip.com/1vpj5h.jpg
You on weed.

He isn't totally wrong.

Cricket isn't as much popular in West indies as it is in Bangladesh. Here every big company wants shakib to be the spokesperson for their company/product due to his image and fan Base.

That's not the case for caribbean players. There, cricketers are nowhere near as popular as spirtnters or NBA players. But yes, in India or in any other country gayle is certainly more marketable than shakib.

DinRaat.
September 12, 2017, 12:34 AM
He isn't totally wrong.

Cricket isn't as much popular in West indies as it is in Bangladesh. Here every big company wants shakib to be the spokesperson for their company/product due to his image and fan Base.

That's not the case for caribbean players. There, cricketers are nowhere near as popular as spirtnters or NBA players. But yes, in India or in any other country gayle is certainly more marketable than shakib.

Clubs all over the world, would be more willing to sign T20 Legend Gayle over Shakib

aklemalp
September 12, 2017, 12:35 AM
That's not the case for caribbean players. There, cricketers are nowhere near as popular as spirtnters or NBA players. .

I disagree with this.

DinRaat.
September 12, 2017, 12:38 AM
He isn't totally wrong.

Yea your right about how the companies here want shakib to be their spokesperson IN BANGLADESH. But clearly Gayle is way more marketable. He is paired up with Nike, Toyota, Pepsico, Royal Stag, Royal Challenge. Whilst the beloved Shakib is sponsored by Robi and is the ambassador of some pen company overseas :facepalm: Gayle's ads are on billboards all over asia and here in Australia,heck Sydney airport features a Spartan ad starring Gayle. Gayle is a marketable international figure that is recognised all over the world. Ask a random person on the street who Shakib and then ask who Gayle is, the results will be staggering.

Eclipse
September 12, 2017, 12:39 AM
Clubs all over the world, would be more willing to sign T20 Legend Gayle over Shakib

Agreed. Gayle certainly has way more star power than Shakib. Shakib is only popular in Bangladesh.

iDumb
September 12, 2017, 12:41 AM
Please,please give me a source, this is all speculation.

https://www.crictracker.com/shakib-al-hasan-is-bangladeshs-highest-earning-cricketer/

DinRaat.
September 12, 2017, 12:45 AM
https://www.crictracker.com/shakib-al-hasan-is-bangladeshs-highest-earning-cricketer/

I know that source, how can you assume that it is reputable. It is written up by some bloke in his garage or studio. I have searched and found no credible source anywhere on the web. If Shakib net worth is really that high he is in the top 10 of the highest paid cricketers(incl sponsorships and ads), going by this source, Shakib net worth is greater than Yuvi, which is nonsensical/highly unrealistic.

A guesstimate of his net worth would be more around the 10-15 million range.

https://www.forbes.com/forbes/welcome/?toURL=https%3A//www.forbes.com/pictures/emdm45hmgh/1-mahendra-singh-dhoni/&refURL=https%3A//www.google.com.au/&referrer=https%3A//www.google.com.au/

iDumb
September 12, 2017, 12:47 AM
Agreed. Gayle certainly has way more star power than Shakib. Shakib is only popular in Bangladesh.

Dinrat, We are talking about marketable as earnings power. Being more famous does not mean you are more marketable for commercial purpose.

There are many footballers that earn less than indian cricketers who are MORE known worldwide.

Read my post again.

and here is a personal thought:

Gayle - this is the guy who hits on/harasses white australian women like a chagol on TV. Companies should not stand behind that type of personality...

iDumb
September 12, 2017, 12:52 AM
I know that source, how can you assume that it is reputable. It is written up by some bloke in his garage or studio. I have searched and found no credible source anywhere on the web. If Shakib net worth is really that high he is in the top 10 of the highest paid cricketers(incl sponsorships and ads), going by this source, Shakib net worth is greater than Yuvi, which is nonsensical/highly unrealistic.

A guesstimate of his net worth would be more around the 10-15 million range.

https://www.forbes.com/forbes/welcome/?toURL=https%3A//www.forbes.com/pictures/emdm45hmgh/1-mahendra-singh-dhoni/&refURL=https%3A//www.google.com.au/&referrer=https%3A//www.google.com.au/

you can request forbes to run some numbers on shakib.... but you come up with a pretty accurate picture by going through all his number of endorsements and years of t20 earnings... I don't think the number is much off when I briefly look at his years of earnings and number of endorsements. It may be hard for many to believe however.

these endorsements are often multi year contracts...

how do you think forbes is gonna come up with a number? ^above that's how.

That link by forbes proves what exactly? forbes is usually conservative when estimating numbers. Also those are PER YEAR earnings. Dhoni was among the most highest paid athlete in the WHOLE world few years back...(includes soccer, basketball, nfl football) in top 10.. he was in the middle i think forgot. Where do you see yuvi's number?

you can believe whatever you want... He is well paid :)

DinRaat.
September 12, 2017, 12:52 AM
Dinrat, We are talking about marketable as earnings power. Being more famous does not mean you are more marketable for commercial purpose.

There are many footballers that earn less than indian cricketers who are MORE known worldwide.

Read my post again.

and here is a personal thought:

Gayle - this is the guy who hits on/harasses white australian women like a chagol on TV. Companies should not stand behind that type of personality...

No matter, Shakib net worth is not greater than Gayle, Gayle is an internationally recognised brand. You are telling me(your source) that Shakib`s networth is more than the likes of M.S, YV,Kohli,Watto and other legends of the game.

DinRaat.
September 12, 2017, 01:03 AM
you can request forbes to run some numbers on shakib.... but you come up with a pretty accurate picture by going through all his number of endorsements and years of t20 earnings... I don't think the number is much off when I briefly look at his years of earnings and number of endorsements. It may be hard for many to believe however.

these endorsements are often multi year contracts...

how do you think forbes is gonna come up with a number? ^above that's how.

That link by forbes proves what exactly? forbes is usually conservative when estimating numbers. Also those are PER YEAR earnings. Dhoni was among the most highest paid athlete in the WHOLE world few years back...(includes soccer, basketball, nfl football) in top 10.. he was in the middle i think forgot. Where do you see yuvi's number?

you can believe whatever you want... He is well paid :)

But don't you think Forbes is a bit more credible, valid and accurate compared to a site called crictracker.com

DinRaat.
September 12, 2017, 01:09 AM
you are an idiot. Stop replying please if you do not understand simple posts first.

Where did I write shakibs worht is more than MS, Kohli?? are you stupid. Read just my previous post.

Dhoni was number 5 in WORLD WIDE earnings PER YEAR 3 years ago.

Net worth is NOT same as earnings PER YEAR.

I am not gonna post anymore to you.

yes SHkib is richer than gayle and most of current australian pauper players.

Yea I see you are talking about net worth, my mistake. Gayle net worth is much higher than Shakib's. Don't forget all these stats are written by die hard shakib fans. No need for senseless aggression. Even with all the sponsorships(from less wellknown brands) + the restaurant business, plus his total assets are value much higher compared to Shakib( has houses in NY,IND and the Windies) I highly doubt his net worth even exceeds 10-15 million. Gayle is seen taking photos with companies such as Volkswagen, Toyota, Royal Stag,Pepsico.

DinRaat.
September 12, 2017, 04:05 AM
Team needs him most, and the bloke decides to take a break.

adamnsu
September 12, 2017, 04:27 AM
I think Shakibs absence will be a real shock to the system obviously. But I hope this helps us prepare for times without him in the team and for the future.

I know many would change their sentiments if the guy was injured for the series but we still need to see how we cope.

May Allah see us through

Jadukor
September 12, 2017, 04:47 AM
I refuse to believe the reasoning is just fatigue because of the timing of it. Why wait till the end of the Australia series to announce this decision? If he wanted a break this year, then announce it early so that Team management can plan accordingly.

And what kind of idiotic decision was that to leave Ryad out for Australia series if he was going to feature in the SA series? If you thought Ryad would be useful in SA, then why play Nasir and leave Ryad out of match practice? Either you should have faith in Nasir or in Ryad but it can't be 50:50 which just seems utter moronic

tiger1000
September 12, 2017, 04:50 AM
I refuse to believe the reasoning is just fatigue because of the timing of it. Why wait till the end of the Australia series to announce this decision? If he wanted a break this year, then announce it early so that Team management can plan accordingly.

And what kind of idiotic decision was that to leave Ryad out for Australia series if he was going to feature in the SA series? If you thought Ryad would be useful in SA, then why play Nasir and leave Ryad out of match practice? Either you should have faith in Nasir or in Ryad but it can't be 50:50 which just seems utter moronic

Maybe fatigue snuck up on him, you can hit an energy wall out of nowhere, especially for a 30 year old 10+ year pro

tiger1000
September 12, 2017, 04:51 AM

Hardly, even with Shakib we won't win

We need him the most at home series or away to similar level teams

jeesh
September 12, 2017, 04:58 AM
He has been playing non stop for ten years, contributing with bat, ball, thinking. No doubt about all that.

But there was always the possibility of him playing just as a batsman. We are only talking about 4 tests for the next 4 months.

Nevertheless i think this is a nice reminder to management and selectors they better start developing some newer players.

adamnsu
September 12, 2017, 05:00 AM

His timing was awful I do agree.

Well Shakib has in the past done things which werent the best. Tbh I was glad when he was sidelined when Haturi came in.

Eclipse
September 12, 2017, 05:19 AM
Hardly, even with Shakib we won't win

We need him the most at home series or away to similar level teams

He knows he needs dustbowls,whithout that he's nothing.

But his batting will be missed.

tiger1000
September 12, 2017, 05:31 AM

Not as badly as Indian bowlers, thank God

Can you imagine how pathetic you would feel being supporters of the likes of Jadeja and that chucking ashwin

Night_wolf
September 12, 2017, 05:52 AM
Not as badly as Indian bowlers, thank God

Can you imagine how pathetic you would feel being supporters of the likes of Jadeja and that chucking ashwin

no need to belittle other players just to respond to trolls

DinRaat.
September 12, 2017, 06:08 AM

Maybe... most of Shaks 5 fers have been at home, he needs more international exposure to accurately assess whether he is pitch dependent, like bowlers such as Jadwin.

tiger1000
September 12, 2017, 06:14 AM
no need to belittle other players just to respond to trolls

How am I belittling, Jadeja has a bradman esque bowling average away from home

tiger1000
September 12, 2017, 07:29 AM
ESPNCricinfo

'I deserve a break' - Shakib

"I have been thinking about taking the break for quite some time now," Shakib said. "I have spoken to my family and friends ahead of this series about this break. I think this will help me. Since I play a lot, I can't focus on my fitness or even try to be mentally fresh. I have been playing for 10-11 years, so I think I deserve a break.

"In Test cricket, my role is such that I have to contribute in all four innings. If I am contributing half the time, I won't be able to meet the team's expectations. I think it is best to play when I know I can give my best in all four innings. It is not important to me to just play for the sake of match fees and salary. This is my job, for sure, but I started playing out of interest, passion and love for the game. If that's not there, I don't see the point in playing."

"I don't react to those [criticisms]. I know how much my body goes through. I am surprised when people question why I am not resting from limited-overs matches or other T20s. There are really no pressures when playing those T20 matches. It seems like a holiday to me, with a bit of experience and of course, it is financially important too."

RealSports
September 12, 2017, 09:10 AM
The sad truth is that with or without him, the result is still going to be 2-0 to the South Africans. I don't like his excuses, but maybe he should skip out for this test series just for the sake of it. The side plays very little tests, so it really doesn't make much sense.

cricman
September 12, 2017, 09:36 AM
We play the least amount of Int Cricket, so its not like he's played non-stop for 10 years. We had Tamim not to long ago bemoan the fact we dont play enough Test Cricket.

Shakib is 30, so he knows his body best. If he really needs a break then he should take the entire series off. Missing out on 2 tests wont rejuvenate him.

RazabQ
September 12, 2017, 09:41 AM
Please do not get a ban by violating forum rules in your attempt to shut up a troll. Trolls don't shut up - they go on.

There are trolls here who are very smart about making bombastic statements while staying within the bounds of forum rules. Trust the Mods. As the Austin situation shows, the very first time a troll slips up, he/she will get banned. Until then: DO NOT FEED THE TROLL

kalpurush
September 12, 2017, 09:58 AM

Ha! Ha!! Ha!!!:floor:

and tha't coming from a Shak "hater" !!!

godzilla
September 12, 2017, 10:11 AM
Shakib has played only 7 away tests in last 5 years. That's the number of tests kohli plays in one single away tour.

They can't simply be compared. Kohli is easily one of the greatest athletes of all time. He's the leader of his IPL team and plays all of the matches where as shakib just sits in the dug out in the very same league.

Kohli is one of the best fielders in world cricket if not the best. Compared to him shakib is, well let's not get there.

Kohli plays way, way more international matches than shakib and the whole Indian team has been ridding on his back for last several years but still it hasn't made him fatigued.

As I said, kohli and shakib r two completely different level of athletes. One wants to be the greatest of all time whereas the other just wants to remain happy by being the best all rounder of a no 9 ranked team.

Bro, where do you come up with such nonsense? The whole Indian team could bat circles around majority of the teams, and that too without Virat. Not to mention Team India wins plenty of test matches which is not the best format for Virat out of the 3 international ones.

Plenty of people already pointed this out, which for some reason you are not reading, Shakib most likely wants to step away for 6 months because of the workload Mushy puts on him during a single test match. If a test match goes on for 5 days, Shakib plays 3-5 days most of the time where as others can sit in the dugout when the team mate is batting for a whole day or stand at the corner when others are bowling for a whole day. Batting/Bowling (you have to feel sorry in this department for this fella), he has to do it all. Not to mention, he most likely will have to take on the captaincy from Mushy. I am not surprised he haven't pushed for a retirement from this format.

mufi_02
September 12, 2017, 10:23 AM
let's compare Kohli and Shakib. Coz Kohli bowls 50+ overs in both innings. His medium pace is the spearhead of Indian bowling attack.

Oh and Shakib being the best all rounder of the no.9 ranked team. Nope, he is the best all rounder in the world.

This is BC logic. It is bichi logic to me.

senman
September 12, 2017, 11:12 AM
Shakib deserves a break, he has carried the burden too long. BCB need to have a rotational policy in place so they can use youngsters against weaker teams and good players against stronger teams.

On a lighter note: Shakib, welcome to IPL mate.

Rifat
September 12, 2017, 11:24 AM
With all due respect to everyone, I honestly think we are making a big deal out of this. Bangladesh Cricket has won matches without Shakib Al Hasan before. I don't see why we can't do it again but Other people both senior and juniors should step up big time. You don't really need 3 SLA/spinners in South Africa to succeed only at most two spinners should do.

MarufH
September 12, 2017, 11:44 AM
Here is what Shakib said in response to all of you:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/1WX6AjmI-gg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Also, a gentle reminder to those who are questioning his dedication:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.espncricinfo.com/core/video/iframe?id=20681954&endcard=false" allowfullscreen frameborder="0"></iframe>

Yankees
September 12, 2017, 12:32 PM

I like your post, but you are coming to it from a sentimental point of view. You don't know whether or not it really is an injury concern, do you?

T20 games are barely cricket. It's 4 overs of bowling and a couple of overs of batting for Shakib. Test cricket, on the other hand, puts a massive mental and physical strain on the body. It's not just the long game days, but also the lack of rest days, since you are playing 5 straight days. And that can aggravate and re-aggravate nagging injuries, that T20 cricket never will.

In other words, if you assume test cricket is 90 overs per day, then the equivalent of a 5-day test match is 22.5 T20 games. So now you tell me why he should he skip T20 instead?

RazabQ
September 12, 2017, 12:48 PM
On a lighter note: Shakib, welcome to IPL mate.
Shakib himself also takes T20s (including IPL I presume) in a lighter note:
I am surprised when people question why I am not resting from limited-overs matches or other T20s. There are really no pressures when playing those T20 matches. It seems like a holiday to me, with a bit of experience and of course, it is financially important too."
-- http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/20679696/i-deserve-break-shakib-al-hasan

RazabQ
September 12, 2017, 12:54 PM
The interview vid verifies the above quote.

adamnsu
September 12, 2017, 01:37 PM

He might be nothing to you but he is one of Bangladesh's important player.

To actually accuse him of being a coward to bowl in a different pitch is not his style. Making such an outlandish and ridiculous accusation is honestly without any merit.

A true Bangladeshi would not do that.

R0ssei
September 12, 2017, 01:40 PM
What's the big deal here? He just wanted to take a break, BCB allowed it as much as it can. If he wanted to retire from Test, that would have been unacceptable at this stage when BAN have very few senior players, however 6 months seems too long here.

It also means more responsibility on to Tamim and Mushfiq. Hopefully, Mullah comes with something extra-ordinary.

Tigers_eye
September 12, 2017, 01:53 PM
Team needs him most, and the bloke decides to take a break.I thought you wanted a crap, no good, Shakib out of the team before the CT and then Aussie tests. Shall I dig through the posts? :)

Eclipse
September 12, 2017, 01:54 PM

-- http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/20679696/i-deserve-break-shakib-al-hasan

Did u expect any other response from him, RazabQ bhai? He'll obviously try to defend his ludicrous decision.

I'm pretty sure that mercenaries like gayle or Russel also gives similar types of excuses when they make themselves unavailable for selection.

Eclipse
September 12, 2017, 02:09 PM
He might be nothing to you but he is one of Bangladesh's important player.

To actually accuse him of being a coward to bowl in a different pitch is not his style. Making such an outlandish and ridiculous accusation is honestly without any merit.

A true Bangladeshi would not do that..

U misunderstood me. He's obviously one of the most important players in Bangladesh team.

Even though his bowling becomes unpenetrative without substantial assistance from the pitch, but he's still an extremely important player for Bangladesh team, almost irreplaceable.

senman
September 12, 2017, 02:09 PM

He can but he will be dropped by KKR if does so. He is playing to the gallery.

Let's not make this thread about T20, sorry for bringing IPL.

I truly believe he is in need of rest or vacation. He is playing non-stop around the world but under appreciated for it.

Eclipse
September 12, 2017, 02:19 PM
He can but he will be dropped by KKR if does so. He is playing to the gallery.

Let's not make this thread about T20, sorry for bringing IPL.

I truly believe he is in need of rest or vacation he is playing non-stop around the world but under appreciated for it.

At last someone has got it right.

I just don't know why some of us aren't accepting the fact that he's tired because he has been playing non stop T20s for quite some time now.

He needs a break from test cricket to rejuvenate himself and make himself fit for the upcoming useless T20 leagues, its as simple as that.

iDumb
September 12, 2017, 02:34 PM
With all due respect to everyone, I honestly think we are making a big deal out of this.

Even though this thread has pages of posts ..most if not all agree that he should get the rest . And it would be a shame if we lose him in tests forever if we can't accommodate him now . After 30 his goal would be to prolong his playing career

Shakib no doubt is overworked during tes:t specially if it is a spin friendly wicket .

I can't wait for the sentiment when it's time for him to retire ..we are F#')(:!

al Furqaan
September 12, 2017, 02:34 PM

U misunderstood me. He's obviously one of the most important players in Bangladesh team.

Even though his bowling becomes unpenetrative without substantial assistance from the pitch, but he's still an extremely important player for Bangladesh team, almost irreplaceable.

Name the bowlers who are successful on flat tracks?

Name the batsmen who have scored in tough conditions (hint: Chokedulkar, isn't one of them)

Match Adda
September 12, 2017, 10:54 PM
If he thinks he can back old sakib to us ... it's fine ... take a chill...whatever happened will happen... but sakib need to come back strong for another 5 years until we kicked out some sissy in the team or find his replacement...
we really need to keep on eyes to the younger generations... at this moment, we have nothing special like him... I mean nothing...good luck to him.

Yankees
September 12, 2017, 10:59 PM
If he thinks he can back old sakib to us ... it's fine ... take a chill...whatever happened will happen... but sakib need to come back strong for another 5 years until we kicked out some sissy in the team or find his replacement...
we really need to keep on eyes to the younger generations... at this moment, we have nothing special like him... I mean nothing...good luck to him.

Miraz will get there InShaAllah

jabbar
September 12, 2017, 11:04 PM
On the one hand, I feel that the timing of this sabbatical is very wrong. SAF are a very strong team, and all teams in the world.would field their strongest side. Shakib is no doubt an important cog, a vital cog. So on the surface the decision seems selfish and leads one to believe he is saving himself for T20 leagues (i.e. $$)

On the other hand, this might be a master stroke, and I wouldn't be surprised if the BCB/Hathuri have had a hand in it. SAF offer seamING pitches, so as good as Shakib is as a bowler he is unlikely to collect 5-fers or match 10-fers. The seam bowlers led by Fizz are going to get most of the wickets. Fizz's return to form in the second Aussie test is timely in that regard. So Shakib's bowling may not be missed, especially with Miraz and Taijul bowling well (the team may decide to bowl only one of Miraz/Taijul if pitches are seaming). Furthermore, the batting has become too dependent on Shakib. He is also often fatigued in the second innings, as indicated by his woeful second innings batting average. So the team needs to find another go to guy, and having Shakib out will force guys to step up. Someone outside of the "Big 5" (if you include Mullah) needs to step up, preferably a young gun. With Mossadek out, I'm pinning my hopes on Sabbir, Liton and/ or Soumya.

There is always a silver lining.

Habib
September 13, 2017, 11:39 AM
On the one hand, I feel that the timing of this sabbatical is very wrong. SAF are a very strong team, and all teams in the world.would field their strongest side. Shakib is no doubt an important cog, a vital cog. So on the surface the decision seems selfish and leads one to believe he is saving himself for T20 leagues (i.e. $$)

On the other hand, this might be a master stroke, and I wouldn't be surprised if the BCB/Hathuri have had a hand in it. SAF offer seamING pitches, so as good as Shakib is as a bowler he is unlikely to collect 5-fers or match 10-fers. The seam bowlers led by Fizz are going to get most of the wickets. Fizz's return to form in the second Aussie test is timely in that regard. So Shakib's bowling may not be missed, especially with Miraz and Taijul bowling well (the team may decide to bowl only one of Miraz/Taijul if pitches are seaming). Furthermore, the batting has become too dependent on Shakib. He is also often fatigued in the second innings, as indicated by his woeful second innings batting average. So the team needs to find another go to guy, and having Shakib out will force guys to step up. Someone outside of the "Big 5" (if you include Mullah) needs to step up, preferably a young gun. With Mossadek out, I'm pinning my hopes on Sabbir, Liton and/ or Soumya.

Ditto. I see more good than harm in this. It's high time other players learn to step up instead of relying on Shakib to do all the work, especially the junior players.

kalpurush
September 13, 2017, 12:31 PM

Shak got 11 wickets last time we have visited SA!

tiger1000
September 13, 2017, 12:40 PM

Big 5?

We have a big 3, that's it

jabbar
September 13, 2017, 03:33 PM
Shak got 11 wickets last time we have visited SA!

SAF wouldn't have known about Shakib that much back then. This time they will prepare green tops.

Eclipse
September 13, 2017, 05:52 PM
It's quite evident that ''Bangladesh er jan Shakib-Al-Hasan" is doing it for $$$$$

He doesn't want to get fatigued or injured by playing tests anymore. Bbl, IPL, Psl or cpl r more important to him than a test series in south africa and he wants to remain fit for those leagues.

If he was really feeling sick or whatever he could've just avoided caribbean league. Did he? Of course not. Even couple of days before the first test against Australia he was busy playing in Caribbean premier league.

Won't he play any T20 leagues in next 8/10 months? Won't he play in BPL? If he was truly sick he wouldn't have played in CPL, if he was really fatigued he would've withdrawn himself from BPL or any other T20 leagues.

But no, he didn't do anything that and won't do in future either. He rather prefers to take short breaks from test cricket to keep himself fit and rejuvenated for useless T20 leagues.

oronnya
September 13, 2017, 07:09 PM
Some posters here :facepalm:

Why do you expect the players to be heroes? Playing cricket is just a job for them and they have every right to ask for time off for whatever reason. Most people here I think leave abroad that is we all left our beloved motherland for a better future or security in life. People who are still living in Bangladesh in most cases will accept any lucrative job offer abroad and won't think twice before leaving their country then why the same people get soooooooooooooo judgemental about others? Why only the players will have to carry the burden of patriotism?

You guys seem more worried than his employer. He asked for the leave after giving a match winning performance and he is entitled to that reward and his employer was completely fine with it.

Please come out of your selfish attitude and learn to put yourself in someone's shoes before judging them. Most of you don't have to do a physical job for your profession so you really can't tell that why some might feel exhausted so easily. Now you will bring the example of some big names like Kohli and that's such a childish logic because Shakib is not Kohli and vice versa. Don't try to be those parents who will always lecture their kids "if he can do it why can't you". Comparison is just so lame. Everyone has their own battle to fight and there are millions of different variables in everyone's life so you simply can't ask someone "why are you not happy" or "why do you feel exhausted so easily"

oronnya
September 13, 2017, 07:11 PM
BTW what's wrong with going after money? We study, we work everything to earn money. No?

Zeeshan
September 13, 2017, 08:58 PM
It's quite evident that ''Bangladesh er jan Shakib-Al-Hasan" is doing it for $$$$$

He doesn't want to get fatigued or injured by playing tests anymore. Bbl, IPL, Psl or cpl r more important to him than a test series in south africa and he wants to remain fit for those leagues.

If he was really feeling sick or whatever he could've just avoided caribbean league. Did he? Of course not. Even couple of days before the first test against Australia he was busy playing in Caribbean premier league.

Won't he play any T20 leagues in next 8/10 months? Won't he play in BPL? If he was truly sick he wouldn't have played in CPL, if he was really fatigued he would've withdrawn himself from BPL or any other T20 leagues.

But no, he didn't do anything that and won't do in future either. He rather prefers to take short breaks from test cricket to keep himself fit and rejuvenated for useless T20 leagues.

He was also responsible for Battle of Brunanburh.

MarufH
September 16, 2017, 01:40 PM
‘এত বড় খেলোয়াড় হইনি যে বিশ্রামে যাব’
- মুশফিকুর রহিম (http://www.prothom-alo.com/sports/article/1325526/%E2%80%98%E0%A6%8F%E0%A6%A4-%E0%A6%AC%E0%A7%9C-%E0%A6%96%E0%A7%87%E0%A6%B2%E0%A7%8B%E0%A7%9F%E0%A 6%BE%E0%A7%9C-%E0%A6%B9%E0%A6%87%E0%A6%A8%E0%A6%BF-%E0%A6%AF%E0%A7%87-%E0%A6%AC%E0%A6%BF%E0%A6%B6%E0%A7%8D%E0%A6%B0%E0%A 6%BE%E0%A6%AE%E0%A7%87-%E0%A6%AF%E0%A6%BE%E0%A6%AC%E2%80%99)

Eclipse
September 16, 2017, 04:19 PM
‘এত বড় খেলোয়াড় হইনি যে বিশ্রামে যাব’
- মুশফিকুর রহিম (http://www.prothom-alo.com/sports/article/1325526/%E2%80%98%E0%A6%8F%E0%A6%A4-%E0%A6%AC%E0%A7%9C-%E0%A6%96%E0%A7%87%E0%A6%B2%E0%A7%8B%E0%A7%9F%E0%A 6%BE%E0%A7%9C-%E0%A6%B9%E0%A6%87%E0%A6%A8%E0%A6%BF-%E0%A6%AF%E0%A7%87-%E0%A6%AC%E0%A6%BF%E0%A6%B6%E0%A7%8D%E0%A6%B0%E0%A 6%BE%E0%A6%AE%E0%A7%87-%E0%A6%AF%E0%A6%BE%E0%A6%AC%E2%80%99)

A Slap on the face of shakib. Glad to see that our test team is in right hand.

Mushy may not be the most intelligent, talented or influential guy in our team, but he has two of the most important things in him. Patriotism and work ethics. Respect.

Zeeshan
September 16, 2017, 08:19 PM
Mushfiqur is an idiot!

Along with that people pleaser and ethics police Isam who apparently thinks taking leave or putting time for yourself to relax is apparently a "first world problem". (Then again this guy doesn't exercise so obviously he is bound to be so cynical and negative...)

I will tell you a story. As I mentioned in my Footwork thread re:martial arts which some nawabs gave red arrows apparently conflating my sharing of personal story as being bombastic...

So the story is I took muay thai for 6 months. And some days I used to show up either stoned or highly caffeinated and would tell coach "do you run less when you advance more and more?"

His answer was extremely enlightening. "Heck if you advance more you run EVEN more!" And then he pinpointed exactly my motive: "It is not good sign that you come here not wanting to run..."

This was long time ago. And I also learned the value of "Growth mindset" (heck even before Carol Dwieck from him). He made me believe that it is far more than talent and overnight success and all weak people can become stronger over time.

Anyhoo, given that context do you see how utterly IDIOTIC Mushy sounds? Mushy is not "slapping" anyone (as the troll above me would irritatingly put) or lambasting anyone. ONLY person he is dissing is... HIMSELF.

Because what does that tell us? That tell us HE believes once you reach certain heights and laurel you can rest. This dumbass doesn't have kaizen mentality or asymptotic mindset of perpetual growth to reach perfection even though all the while cognizant you can never make it.

This guy is twit. Then again you don't expect any less from Non-Alpha Male. (Where the hell is Roey when you need him?)

Why the bloody hell people thinks taking care of yourself is a luxury or "first world problem?"

THIS IS WHY BANGLADESH WILL NEVER IMPROVE AS A NATION OR TEAM.

We feel guilty for treating ourselves.
We do not honor our Selves.
We put people first instead of our needs.
We conflate self-love as some sort of "ego" or "bombastic expression".
Ironically the above stems entirely from lack of self-esteem. We feel some sort of misplaced pride and virtue to put ourselves down for well being of others.
We as a society are pandering doormats.
The above is NOT a genuine expression. ^^
We may be nice to others but not ro ourselves.
And so on and on and on... yadda yadda yadda...

I really had to put this psychoanalytical post because A. I am deeply interested in this "self-loathing" "people's priorities before my own well being and happiness" issue, and B. because this lack of healthy self-esteem is a deep seated problem which has cost us many a match...

Sacrifice is NEVER a virtue. It is a misplaced disgusting habit that breeds resentment and bitterness. We may sacrifice sometimes at a given moment but then that egoic self would come back 20 years later and tell that person: "Look what I did for you. Where is my payment?"

Sometimes those smarmy, smiley-emoji people pleasing people are the most deceptive obnoxious person out there. And believe me there are plenty in this forum.

Thank you very frikkin much for reading my long winded rant.

NoName
September 17, 2017, 02:48 AM
Are we sure that Mushfiqur didn't say that sarcastically? But then again its Mushfiqur....

patriot
September 17, 2017, 09:25 AM
Watching the Chelsea Arsenal game. Not the most accurate comparison, just a thought.

Chelsea have to play 7 games in 21 days and 65 plus games in a season combined with clocking a thousand miles for travel and intense training sessions. Considering the physical and mental demands in football are considerably higher than Cricket, imagine a Chelsea first team player asking his manager for a rest so that he could be 'fresh'.

And then we have our spoilsport superstar asking for a rest for playing 5-6 test matches a year, where we hardly play more than 4 days. What message does it to send to the younger players?

Navo
September 17, 2017, 09:29 AM
Zee, you make some good points but not sure if Isam necessarily meant first world problem in a derisive way. When he published the article in question on his FB profile he added:

"What Shakib has brought to Bangladesh cricket:
Consistency ✅
Stronger sense of professionalism ✅
Star power ✅
and this week... Managing player fatigue ✅"

I would read that as Shakib being a trend-setter.

Yankees
September 17, 2017, 09:29 AM
Watching the Chelsea Arsenal game. Not the most accurate comparison, just a thought.

Chelsea have to play 7 games in 21 days and 65 plus games in a season combined with clocking a thousand miles for travel and intense training sessions. Considering the physical and mental demands in football are considerably higher than Cricket, imagine a Chelsea first team player asking his manager for a rest so that he could be 'fresh'.

And then we have our spoilsport superstar asking for a rest for playing 5-6 test matches a year, where we hardly play more than 4 days. What message does it to send to the younger players?

:lol::lol: football players routinely get rests.

Yankees
September 17, 2017, 09:40 AM
THIS IS WHY BANGLADESH WILL NEVER IMPROVE AS A NATION OR TEAM.

We feel guilty for treating ourselves.
We do not honor our Selves.
We put people first instead of our needs.
We conflate self-love as some sort of "ego" or "bombastic expression".
Ironically the above stems entirely from lack of self-esteem. We feel some sort of misplaced pride and virtue to put ourselves down for well being of others.
We as a society are pandering doormats.
The above is NOT a genuine expression. ^^
We may be nice to others but not ro ourselves.
And so on and on and on... yadda yadda yadda...

Sacrifice is NEVER a virtue. It is a misplaced disgusting habit that breeds resentment and bitterness. We may sacrifice sometimes at a given moment but then that egoic self would come back 20 years later and tell that person: "Look what I did for you. Where is my payment?"

You only have to read the comments on that PA article to know how right you are. The average Bengali still has a lot of growing up to do.

Tigers_eye
September 17, 2017, 10:12 AM
Mushfiqur is ......
Thank you very frikkin much for reading my long winded rant.You know I am among the very few who reads your entire posts. Thank you for posting them.

For this circumstance, I agree with you.

The only things I donot agree are,

"We put people first instead of our needs." This cannot be bad.

"Sacrifice is NEVER a virtue." and the word "NEVER". You win chess games sometimes on sacrifice. Depending on your end goal, sacrifice sometimes are necessary.

patriot
September 17, 2017, 10:42 AM
:lol::lol: football players routinely get rests.

Yes you 'routinely' get a rest if you are playing football for Bangladesh or North Korea.

tiger1000
September 17, 2017, 06:48 PM

Test matches are as demanding physically and much more demanding mentally than football

Football players do get rests often, they play 65, but a vital player like kante only played about 40 of them and even then not fully, you'll find that's a third off

Players also ask for rests all the time

Shakib may play 5-6 test matches, but how many matches has he played this year?

Lot more than 5-6

DinRaat.
September 17, 2017, 08:06 PM
Isam logged on 2 days ago.

DinRaat.
September 17, 2017, 08:07 PM
Its good that he took a break, his batting will be exposed in SA anyway.

tiger1000
September 18, 2017, 08:47 AM
Its good that he took a break, his batting will be exposed in SA anyway.

Same way it was going to be exposed in new zealand?

aklemalp
September 18, 2017, 08:59 AM
Give this thread a rest now nah mon. Let the guy enjoy his break nah.

Roey Haque
September 21, 2017, 06:37 PM
In the world of sports, a better break taking strategy is to sit out every few games. Just taking time off for an elongated duration tells me you are taking a vacation. So it is the mental burnout, not the physical burnout which is affecting Sabbatic- Al Hassan. If his body really needs a rest, don't play him in every single match.

In soccer, they rest their stars when they have more than two games in the span of a week.
Even in basketball, some teams rest their stars when they have back to back away games.

So this practice is very normal. But taking break for a long duration where you miss out on the big games as well where your skills are need, that is just asinine!

tiger1000
September 22, 2017, 04:54 AM
In the world of sports, a better break taking strategy is to sit out every few games. Just taking time off for an elongated duration tells me you are taking a vacation. So it is the mental burnout, not the physical burnout which is affecting Sabbatic- Al Hassan. If his body really needs a rest, don't play him in every single match.

In soccer, they rest their stars when they have more than two games in the span of a week.
Even in basketball, some teams rest their stars when they have back to back away games.

So this practice is very normal. But taking break for a long duration where you miss out on the big games as well where your skills are need, that is just asinine!

But the thing is Shakib hasn't been given these breaks every other series for past 10 years, only time off hes had is when he fractured his shin and when he got banned