PDA

View Full Version : Ashraful is back...potential test recall😁

Rana Melb
September 15, 2017, 05:23 AM
http://www.prothom-alo.com/sports/article/1324531/%E0%A6%9A%E0%A6%BE%E0%A6%B0-%E0%A6%AC%E0%A6%9B%E0%A6%B0-%E0%A6%AA%E0%A6%B0-%E0%A6%86%E0%A6%B6%E0%A6%B0%E0%A6%BE%E0%A6%AB%E0%A 7%81%E0%A6%B2%E0%A7%87%E0%A6%B0-%E0%A6%B8%E0%A7%87%E0%A6%9E%E0%A7%8D%E0%A6%9A%E0%A 7%81%E0%A6%B0%E0%A6%BF

Rana Melb
September 15, 2017, 05:24 AM
102 not out against ctg

May be solved our no 3 position.

Night_wolf
September 15, 2017, 07:36 AM
102 not out against ctg

May be solved our no 3 position.

He needs to have at least one great season, not one great match

MHRAM
September 15, 2017, 08:16 AM
Going back to Ashraful? :down:

aklemalp
September 15, 2017, 08:18 AM
What about Tushar Imran?

That guy made a ton of runs and still no callup.

One World
September 15, 2017, 08:40 AM
Imagine Ash-Shabbir both blazing from either end!

ReZ_1
September 15, 2017, 08:50 AM
What about Tushar Imran?

That guy made a ton of runs and still no callup.

He is a domestic bully like reza and abul..

RealSports
September 15, 2017, 10:09 AM
He could be a really good T20 player for us. It's a format we need to seriously work on, and find the right players. I still prefer watching him over Sarker.

aklemalp
September 15, 2017, 10:26 AM
He is a domestic bully like reza and abul..

In that case, Ash should be a bully's bully. But unfortunately now he looks anything but a bully.

brockley
September 15, 2017, 03:46 PM
Considering Bangladesh struggles in the 2 tests with batting against Australia,I think Ashraful watch this space.
He did score near 200 before he was banned.

Fazal
September 15, 2017, 05:09 PM
Ashraful flirting with his die hard fans again.:D

Gowza
September 15, 2017, 05:49 PM

^this minimum but I think it's better to move on, plenty of players in line that currently deserve call ups ahead of ashraful.

DinRaat.
September 15, 2017, 06:12 PM
You go forwards in life, looks like Bangladesh cricket is destined to go backwards.

kalpurush
September 15, 2017, 06:17 PM
You go forwards in life, looks like Bangladesh cricket is destined to go backwards.

Why are you saying that? Care to elaborate?

DinRaat.
September 15, 2017, 06:18 PM
Why are you saying that? Care to elaborate?

Why would want a guy who averages 24, 22 and 19 across formats. I rather give Souyma an extended run than bring back Ashraful into the scene.

Gowza
September 15, 2017, 07:59 PM
Why would want a guy who averages 24, 22 and 19 across formats. I rather give Souyma an extended run than bring back Ashraful into the scene.

Or try out another younger prospect. Even when nafees is brought up to replace soumya or imrul I think why not give liton a chance? He's young, clearly ready to go onto a higher level than what domestic offers, he's been around the team for a couple of years now, it should be time to give him his extended chance rather than going with a senior who hasn't been with the team for years... Why was liton in all these squads, being around the team, the current senior players and captains, the coaches and management if he's going to be ignored when an opportunity arises for someone to get a chance if it ends up being someone who's not been around for awhile. It's not like nafees or ashraful are these special young prospects that need fast tracking (maybe someone like that, in some circumstances can bypass a player who's been waiting for their turn)

i'm not specifically saying this for liton, it's a general comment but liton is the example because he's the one currently in this situation.

I've always believed if you're going to bring someone 30+ into the setup or back into the setup that they need to be ready pretty much immediately otherwise you're better off putting that time and investment into a younger prospect who can ultimately give you more time with possibly a higher ceiling.

Oni_cricket
September 16, 2017, 05:12 AM
It's 2017 ,isn't it?

Kana-Baba
September 16, 2017, 01:22 PM
IMO Ashraful is no longer a good fit for ODI or T20 anymore. However, he is certainly a good solution for Test team, considering the fact that we don't have a settled top order other than Tamim. Ashraful can be the 2nd opener or even 1st down. Remember how he scored 190 before he got banned. Test cricket always require experience and he has that. Including Ashraful is by no mean going back as some members are talking here. I would watch him for a season, he can perform and show consistency in longer version, then I won't hesitate to recall him.

tiger1000
September 16, 2017, 02:11 PM
IMO Ashraful is no longer a good fit for ODI or T20 anymore. However, he is certainly a good solution for Test team, considering the fact that we don't have a settled top order other than Tamim. Ashraful can be the 2nd opener or even 1st down. Remember how he scored 190 before he got banned. Test cricket always require experience and he has that. Including Ashraful is by no mean going back as some members are talking here. I would watch him for a season, he can perform and show consistency in longer version, then I won't hesitate to recall him.

If anything he might be ok for T20s, ashraful and test cricket hahaha

Eclipse
September 16, 2017, 04:21 PM
Why not? Certainly can't do worse than shabbir, right?

Eclipse
September 16, 2017, 04:27 PM

That's a long, long time ago when Bangladesh was a minnow and the whole team used to rely on him to win matches.

But things r different now. U never know, he might surprise us all. The only thing that's concerning me is his fitness. But if the selectors and physician feels that he's fit enough to last 5 days in a test match then I believe he should definitely be given one final chance to redeem himself.

Eclipse
September 16, 2017, 04:34 PM
Going back to Ashraful? :down:

Nothing wrong with it. If Amir can make a comeback and help Pakistan to win CT, if hogg can make a comeback in his late 30s then why not ash. After all, he's still the most talented batsman that Bangladesh has produced in its entire cricket history.

Gowza
September 16, 2017, 06:01 PM
Ashraful's records span a long time period but did he ever have a period where his averages increased? That's the concern, yes the team is performing more now, there are more world class players, but aside from an innings here or an innings there (which is always how ash did it) he was still inconsistent and never really improved on that consistency so I think before he comes back he needs to prove consistency otherwise we will still get the inconsistent ash.

Ok so I just looked it up, from 2010 onwards (he stopped playing first half of 2013) in ODIs he averaged 13.66 from 24 innings, one 50+ score. In tests he faired better averaging 28 in 22 innings but he only scored one 50 and also one century in those 22 innings. The inconsistency was still there so I think he needs to prove it before returning to the national team.

kalpurush
September 16, 2017, 07:06 PM

I don't think Ash has a chance to come back to the national team...

And, like you, I am too to give an extended chance to the likes of Sarker and younger once..

Gowza
September 16, 2017, 08:01 PM
Last time he managed to get back a lot of us didn't think he would, pretty sure he made a 150+ domestic score and that pushed him back into the test side last time

rezwansyed
September 17, 2017, 09:35 AM
On the other hand I don't think any player should be considered for national team before reaching 27-29...preferably over 30 years of age. One turns to his peak physically and mentally after crossing 30 years of age. You just have to look at the career of great players to confirm that peak age of 30+. Talking exclusively about Batsman of course...

roman
September 17, 2017, 12:06 PM
His last test match score....190 runs. He could have been our best batsman but he blew it. What a waste of talent

Now that he is in his 30s, i think Ash needs to do lot more than just scoring a hundred. He needs to to be consistent throughout this season and perhaps next. Just a century here and there wont cut it anymore

kalpurush
September 17, 2017, 03:55 PM
^^^ Good luck then!

Mas_UK25
September 17, 2017, 06:27 PM
Why not. Need a experienced, quality matured right hander at 3. Ashraful can solve the number three issue.

Rana Melb
September 17, 2017, 06:38 PM
Ash is a class act.. i can challenge he can beat imrul's performances any day any where any format.

You are comparing old prestige car with a broken taxi.

Gowza
September 17, 2017, 06:58 PM
Ash is a class act.. i can challenge he can beat imrul's performances any day any where any format.

You are comparing old prestige car with a broken taxi.

His entire career suggests otherwise....not doubting his talent but his application has never been consistent enough, what has changed for us to think otherwise?

Match Adda
September 17, 2017, 07:55 PM
Ashraful will be the perfect candidate for the no.3 position... he's batting ability at 3, bd needs it badly. But I think he gotta hit another 3 ton or double hundred for the recall... atleast for the papon kakku... good luck to him.

godzilla
September 18, 2017, 12:56 AM
Nothing wrong with it. If Amir can make a comeback and help Pakistan to win CT, if hogg can make a comeback in his late 30s then why not ash. After all, he's still the most talented batsman that Bangladesh has produced in its entire cricket history.

Comparing Apple with Small oranges. Amir was a proven performer and was a very good bowler to begin with. Had a great Average with the ball aswell. Hogg was no slacker either. Ashraful was a once in a bluemoon player and still is. Looked good when on song, looked horrendous when off song. Similar to what Aftab Ahmed was. If anyone who deserved a call back, it would have been S.Nafees.

Tamim and Mushfiq are the most talented batsmen bd has ever produced. You know why people calls you a fake bd fan? Cause for comments like this ... its like you know nothing about your own countrymen who represents your so called BD TEAM.

jeesh
September 18, 2017, 01:04 AM
We must also remember sports these days is not merely about skill. Fitness is paramount, so is work ethic, ability to gel with the rest of the team-to ensure proper team chemistry. Will team management/selectors be willing to gamble with that type of risk?

Ashraful will need more than 1 century to even be in contention for selection. Its not impossible, but he has quite an arduous road ahead. He could take inspiration from Athar Ali, Mod Rafique who played quite late, but then again BD is not in that era.

Eshen
September 18, 2017, 09:42 AM
Poor guy, got dengue http://www.bdcrictime.com/2017/09/mohammad-ashraful-returns-dhaka-due-to-dengue/

ReZ_1
September 18, 2017, 10:41 AM
Poor guy, got dengue http://www.bdcrictime.com/2017/09/mohammad-ashraful-returns-dhaka-due-to-dengue/

Who is behind this.. dengue mosha der k kara tar pichone leliye diyeche todonto kore dekhete hobe... we want justice..

get well soon..

al Furqaan
September 18, 2017, 11:02 AM
Ashraful has never been consistent, even at NCL level. He has rarely ever hit more than 2 tons in a season of NCL.

We are frankly too good of a team for Ashraful now (although with players like Sabbir in the team, you could be easily mistaken). He served the nation well in his time when he was the best batsman we had. I'll always remember those hundreds he hit with utter domination. But most of the time they were flat tracks and Bangladesh was losing by an innings anyways.

Fazal
September 18, 2017, 01:38 PM
Who is behind this.. dengue mosha der k kara tar pichone leliye diyeche todonto kore dekhete hobe... we want justice..

Trust me... I have nothing to do with it.

WorldCup11
September 18, 2017, 10:14 PM
As the title said "[বাংলা]চার বছর পর আশরাফুলের সেঞ্চুরি[/বাংলা]" Means we need to wait another 4 years to see his next one. Earlier it was considered as "Eid Innings" because Eid comes twice in a year. What comes in every 4 years? "Leap year innings"?

Night_wolf
September 18, 2017, 10:16 PM
even after all these years a thread about ashraful goes to 2nd page

Eclipse
September 19, 2017, 02:14 AM

He's got swag. :D

DinRaat.
September 19, 2017, 02:20 AM
Ashraful has never been consistent, even at NCL level. He has rarely ever hit more than 2 tons in a season of NCL.

We are frankly too good of a team for Ashraful now (although with players like Sabbir in the team, you could be easily mistaken). He served the nation well in his time when he was the best batsman we had. I'll always remember those hundreds he hit with utter domination. But most of the time they were flat tracks and Bangladesh was losing by an innings anyways.

Ashraful isnt even in the same league as Sabbir let him hit a century in t20s or win a match from the clutches of defeat(sl v BD in asia cup t20i)

Night_wolf
September 19, 2017, 03:14 AM
Ashraful isnt even in the same league as Sabbir let him hit a century in t20s or win a match from the clutches of defeat(sl v BD in asia cup t20i)

little brother BD has been playing cricket long before you started to watch in 2014.

Rinathq
September 19, 2017, 03:18 AM
little brother BD has been playing cricket long before you started to watch in 2014.

word!!!

Rinathq
September 19, 2017, 03:20 AM

Let Shabbir score a 100 against Australia in foreign conditions first...

SportingBD
September 19, 2017, 03:23 AM

Only 2nd page? Disrespect to Sir Ash lol.

I'm expecting this to be minimum 10 page thread.

Wait till he scores another century in NCL.

SportingBD
September 19, 2017, 03:25 AM
Ash has potential for a return in test cricket.

Has Hathura seen him bat in the nets? Yet?

DinRaat.
September 19, 2017, 04:01 AM

So being a fan of 3 years automatically makes me eternally damned in BC. Sorry to be amongst you Bangladesh cricket veterans.

Night_wolf
September 19, 2017, 06:02 AM

So being a fan of 3 years automatically makes me eternally damned in BC. Sorry to be amongst you Bangladesh cricket veterans.

read your comment again, then read mine again..anyone who has seen ash play wont make the comment you made. thats why I said BD has been playing cricket long before you started watching. I did not damned you in bc, if you want to compare ash with sabbir watch ash's innings vs ZIM(then strong Zim team with grant flower, alister cambell and heath streak) in 2004, or his innings vs the GOAT "Team Australia of 2005", or his innings vs SA in 2007 world cup.

DinRaat.
September 19, 2017, 06:10 AM
read your comment again, then read mine again..anyone who has seen ash play wont make the comment you made. thats why I said BD has been playing cricket long before you started watching. I did not damned you in bc, if you want to compare ash with sabbir watch ash's innings vs ZIM(then strong Zim team with grant flower, alister cambell and heath streak) in 2004, or his innings vs the GOAT "Team Australia of 2005", or his innings vs SA in 2007 world cup.

I admit my comment sounded far-fetched, but do we really want a guy who sells out his own team for cash. I know he has served his sentence, but his figures don't justify a selection any time soon. He needs to move mountains and moon to warrant a position in the final 11.

No hard feelings :)

Night_wolf
September 19, 2017, 07:08 AM
I admit my comment sounded far-fetched, but do we really want a guy who sells out his own team for cash. I know he has served his sentence, but his figures don't justify a selection any time soon. He needs to move mountains and moon to warrant a position in the final 11.

No hard feelings :)

nowhere in my comment I said we need ash, I am a known hater of ash in this forum when he played. but just because he cheated doesn't mean you throw away his past contributions

Night_wolf
September 19, 2017, 07:09 AM
this thread has gone into page 3 now :smh:

SportingBD
September 19, 2017, 08:15 AM
Show some respect to the GodFather of Bangladesh Cricket.

Please.

R0ssei
September 19, 2017, 09:19 AM
If you look back on Bangladesh cricket history, how it evolved from pre-Test era to present when we play regularly against big names, you cannot deny Ashraful's contribution.

As I remember, Ash was a prolific batsman with both class and flash but too much inconsistencies. When he emerged, he was a boy wonder for us, much like the great Tendulkar. He was indeed a big innings player. in fact, he was a perfect fit No. 3 batsman until everything changed due to his role in spot-fixing.

He is 33 now and I don't see Haturi bringing an old veteran with spot-fixing scandals. Personally, I would like him back in the national team if he were 30 and showed some consistency in domestic leagues. I don't have any doubt re: his capabilities, neither Imrul or Sabbir is a match to his class.

Fazal
September 19, 2017, 02:07 PM
Ashraful is our future.

I mean Ashfrful Jr.

When will he born?

rezwansyed
September 20, 2017, 07:16 AM
If memory serves me properly, I remember Ash belting the legend Muralidharan all over the park on his debut century. At that era only the greatest batsman of alltime Brian Lara was able to do that. Not even S Ramesh Tendulkar could dominate Murali. But can you imagine a young Bangladeshi batsman doing that? He was the only tiger in a team of kittens. Now that our team has a few more tigers, I wonder how Ash will fit in the team. But knowing our team-management(read Hathuru) I don't think it's going to happen.

shovon13
September 20, 2017, 05:30 PM
agreed. but in his case I'd wait for 3 thousand run domestic seasons before taking a look at him. for one match wonders, anamul just scored a double ton.

Gowza
September 21, 2017, 02:00 AM
There are a bunch of young batsmen averaging over 40, saif, shadman, not to mention liton and anamul.

Then you have journeymen who've been plugging away for years like naeem and tushar.

Why would you go back to picking ashraful after an innings or 2. His FC average is under 30.

Even when it comes to big innings those journeymen have more tons than ash in a similar amount of innings or less and even when it comes to naeem although he's played less tests than ash he's got a better test record.

So yeah plenty of options, if ashraful does get recalled make him earn it!

Rinathq
September 21, 2017, 03:12 AM
Ash has almost zero chance of coming back. The only way he can be back in international cricket is if he manages to have a phenomenal BPL next year. Ash cant be as consistent as Nafees, Tushar, Alok and doesnt bring the similar prospects as Saif, Shanto, Liton and so on. But our bench strength in T20 is severely weak and thats one format he is probably the best at in the country still. But again.. has to be leading the chart to even get noticed

Rana Melb
September 21, 2017, 04:37 AM
Sabbir vs Ashraful? Whats happeni g here..🕵️‍♂️

mufi_02
September 21, 2017, 08:22 AM
Ash has almost zero chance of coming back. The only way he can be back in international cricket is if he manages to have a phenomenal BPL next year. Ash cant be as consistent as Nafees, Tushar, Alok and doesnt bring the similar prospects as Saif, Shanto, Liton and so on. But our bench strength in T20 is severely weak and thats one format he is probably the best at in the country still. But again.. has to be leading the chart to even get noticed

but Ash brings experience. a wealth of experience. Ash 2.0 is also more mature now.

imagine Ash mentoring the young and nervous cricketers. I can almost imagine him saying to Shanto "ei babe kelbi. bol e kali khuca marbi".. that's what we need.

RealSports
September 21, 2017, 09:11 AM
I can see Ash part of the T20 set-up, but yeah, it's very unlikely he'll return to the national side ever again. I'm not sure if he's returning to play the BPL, but I would be glad if he is.

5tonne
September 21, 2017, 10:08 AM
Why are we still talking about him?

5tonne
September 22, 2017, 08:41 AM
"আশরাফুল বছরের পর বছর ফিক্সিং করেছে। শুধু বিপিএলে না, দেশের খেলায় ৩বার ফিক্সিংয়ের কথা আকসুর জিজ্ঞাসাবাদে স্বীকার করেছে। ১২ বছরে নিশ্চয়ই তিনবার করে নাই? আরও অনেকবার করছে। কাজেই তার পারফরম্যান্স, তার অবদান এসব নিয়ে আমার ন্যূনতম মাথাব্যথা নেই। একসময় তাকে নিয়ে প্রচুর লিখেছি। ভালো-খারাপ বিশ্লেষণ করেছি। লোকের গালি খেয়েছি। এখন নিজেকে প্রচণ্ড প্রতারিত মনে করি। সে প্রতারণা করেছে আমার মত প্রত্যেকটা ক্রিকেট ফ্যানের সঙ্গে।

অনেকবার বলেছি, আমার মতে, যে কোনো লেভেলের ক্রিকেটে সামান্যতম ফিক্সিংয়েরও ন্যূনতম শাস্তি হওয়া উচিত আজীবন নিষেধাজ্ঞা। তার পর ফিক্সিংয়ের মাত্রা ভেদে সঙ্গে হওয়া উচিত আরও কোনো জেল-জরিমানা বা দৃষ্টান্তমূলক শান্তি। আশরাফুল আবার ক্রিকেট খেলতে পারছে, এটার জন্য নিজেকে সৌভাগ্যবান ভাবতে পারে যে শাস্তির আইন বা নিয়ম খুবই হালকা। আজ মিরাজ বা মুস্তাফিজরা ভাবতেই পারে এই দেশে চাইলে বছরের পর বছর ফিক্সিং করার পরও কয়েক বছর পর লোকের কাছে হিরো হয়ে ফেরা যায়। অসৎ টাকাও কামাবে। লোকের কাছে আবেগের নায়কও হওয়া যাবে। দারুণ দৃষ্টান্ত না?"

From Ariful Islam Roney's fb page.