PDA

View Full Version : If it had been possible should Bangladesh join India?

anon4567
September 16, 2017, 06:24 AM
After a lot of bloodshed to achieve our Independence, till this day we constantly have an identity crisis on whether we are Bengali, Bangladeshi or just simply Muslims.

Bear in mind, joining India would allow us to become a part of a much larger and faster growing economy. One possible way is us merging with West Bengal to once again reunite the two Bengals and settle as a state in India. That way our students will have an opportunity to study at IITs and other prestigious institutions that are gradually rising in global academic rankings. We will have much easier access to a far superior health care system and hospitals. Not to mention greater freedom of movement, and employment opportunities.

Would you be willing to give up our sovereignty and national identities for what could possibly be, a better life?

iDumb
September 16, 2017, 06:34 AM
You are the only one suffering from identity crisis .

anon4567
September 16, 2017, 06:39 AM

Not really, just look at the Pohela Boishak debate and how that's divided up the nation. Many religious extremists went as far as to say we shouldn't be celebrating Bengali New Year at all, a view that is becoming increasingly popular sadly.

iDumb
September 16, 2017, 07:54 AM
Not really, just look at the Pohela Boishak debate and how that's divided up the nation. Many religious extremists went as far as to say we shouldn't be celebrating Bengali New Year at all, a view that is becoming increasingly popular sadly.

In that case we should join Pakistan ..not India

views of the extremist matter more than vision of freedom fighters I guess ...

SportingBD
September 16, 2017, 08:01 AM
I thought this was a troll thread.

Habib
September 16, 2017, 11:53 PM
And the worst thread of the year award goes to.....

This country is one of the most homogeneous group of people in the world. No need to get confused by the arguments from internet/ social media political trolls. We are Bangladeshi and Bengali (apart from a very low percentage of other ethnicity) , but the Bangladeshi identity comes first. Most of us follow Islam, some follow other religions.

Shingara
September 17, 2017, 06:23 AM

:applause: Couldn't have said it better

Alien
September 17, 2017, 09:37 AM
Would you be willing to give up our sovereignty and national identities for what could possibly be, a better life?

Thanks but no thanks

Yankees
September 17, 2017, 10:16 AM
After a lot of bloodshed to achieve our Independence, till this day we constantly have an identity crisis on whether we are Bengali, Bangladeshi or just simply Muslims.

Bear in mind, joining India would allow us to become a part of a much larger and faster growing economy. One possible way is us merging with West Bengal to once again reunite the two Bengals and settle as a state in India. That way our students will have an opportunity to study at IITs and other prestigious institutions that are gradually rising in global academic rankings. We will have much easier access to a far superior health care system and hospitals. Not to mention greater freedom of movement, and employment opportunities.

I won't criticize you like the others, instead let's breakdown the points you made:

1) BD identity: Our identity should be Bengali, it is what the country was founded upon. You are right that extremism is on the rise, which threathens to overshadow bengali identity for a muslim identity. But extremsim is on the rise in India too. We would just be trading one religious extremism for another.

But just to make it clear, Bangladeshi identity is Bengali language and culture.

2) Economic benefit: You're right that joining India would mean that we would become part of the largest growing economy in the world. But the average Bangladeshi would see very little of that benefit. So I disagree that we would see a better life. Remember that for all of India's growth, half of Indians still live on less than $2 a day. The problem with big countries like India and China is that, even as their economies grow fast, their social development growth is very slow. It takes a large country a lot longer to develop socio-economocially. For example, Bangladesh has gotten rid of open defecation, while India still struggles with this issue. Bangladeshi women, by percentage, are more educated, more likely to work, and more likely to hold senior executive positions than Indian women.

Over the years, India will become a global economic force, and their dominant financial and government hubs like Mumbai and Delhi will benefit from it. But their beta cities and states will get left behind.

Now, if Bangladesh and West Bengal joined together to become the Bengal state of India, would we be alpha (due to the massive population of Bengal) or would we be beta? That's something we may never know.

Security: Yes, being a part of India would seem like we are more secure since they have a huge military. But they also have more enemies than Bangladesh, like Pakistan and China. We have a weak military, but that's because we don't need it.

Mobility: Yes, India would give us more mobility, but so what? In a globalized world, Bangladeshis have more mobility abroad now then ever before.

In the end, it really depends on what you value. if you only focus on economic growth, then yes Bangladesh should join India. But, for everything else, it really won't make a difference and would even be a step backwards.

Habib
September 17, 2017, 11:04 AM
And also, we want to freely slaughter cows during kurbani and all year round mind you. We love our beef.

ReZ_1
September 17, 2017, 11:24 AM
+ imagine we have to share the dressing room with indian players (only if we are givven to represent any bengali players)

Rifat
September 17, 2017, 11:45 AM
And also, we want to freely slaughter cows during kurbani and all year round mind you. We love our beef.

Boom! :clap: :clap:

Mas_UK25
September 17, 2017, 12:06 PM
Please close this thread :facepalm:
What an insult to the freedom fighters and those who gave blood/life for language.

OP clearly has been reading too much trolls anti-BD stuffs that goes on FB, twitter.

Mas_UK25
September 17, 2017, 12:10 PM

I can't imagine living without eating beef.

OP should understand that Bangladesh is independent, free and how a growing economy. With more stability will bring prosperity. Lots of potentials in so many areas, with a young massive population.

Having started from scratch it's only understandable it took time to get back up and rebuild.And that would've taken anyone time from such mass destruction before it was an independent country.

iDumb
September 17, 2017, 04:06 PM

In the end, it really depends on what you value. if you only focus on economic growth, then yes Bangladesh should join India. But, for everything else, it really won't make a difference and would even be a step backwards.

Maybe annexing Nepal is a good idea . All our neighbors are only a phone call away to be anything part of Bangladesh the greatest country ever to grace Asia

ReZ_1
September 18, 2017, 10:24 AM
Take that India.. we won 4-3.. what a comeback.. proud of our boys...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZFQUkXLwco

Sorry for the irrelevant post but the thread itself is irrelevant so doesn`t matter... :D

Eclipse
September 18, 2017, 10:59 AM
Nope. I believe exactly the opposite should happen. We should merge West bengal with Bangladesh and form a greater bangla.

Yankees
September 18, 2017, 12:03 PM
Nope. I believe exactly the opposite should happen. We should merge West bengal with Bangladesh and form a greater bangla.

:lol::lol: you've been on a roll lately

Vahroone
September 18, 2017, 12:07 PM
Interesting thread.

I'm Indian - and from an Indian perspective, I ask: what positive things can Bangladesh contribute if they join India?

Since this is a cricket forum, I also ask - which Bangladeshi players would make the Indian team?

kalpurush
September 18, 2017, 12:10 PM

Ah! Now we have another Bangla fan from ooper Bangla!

And self declared!!

ReZ_1
September 18, 2017, 12:13 PM
Ah! Now we have another Bangla fan from ooper Bangla!

And self declared!!

You made a mistake.. he is from epar bangla not opar bangla... irrespective from which side you are referring..

kalpurush
September 18, 2017, 12:14 PM
You made a mistake.. he is from epar bangla not opar bangla... irrespective from which side you are referring..

:up: epar Bangla it is then!

patriot
September 18, 2017, 12:38 PM
Interesting thread.

I'm Indian - and from an Indian perspective, I ask: what positive things can Bangladesh contribute if they join India?

Since this is a cricket forum, I also ask - which Bangladeshi players would make the Indian team?

An extra 160 million heads to your 2 billion plus. Surely thats a big positive.

Vahroone
September 18, 2017, 12:45 PM
An extra 160 million heads to your 2 billion plus. Surely thats a big positive.

India is not short of manpower, so this will be a (further) drag.

It would be a bad idea honestly. The likes of Chittagong and Sylhet won't be the cities that they are for starters, and will be tucked in a corner of the country and bereft of development that other regions receive.

Yankees
September 18, 2017, 12:52 PM
Interesting thread.

None whatsoever. For both sides, it wouldn't make sense. Adding 160mm to 1.3 billion makes no sense for India. And losing economic, political, and cultural soverignty to become just another state in India makes no sense for Bangladesh.

With that said, Bangladesh as an economy is much more vibrant than some of your states that are lagging behind. If the question was, would India swap some of their states for Bangladesh, I bet most Indians would want that. (religion issue aside)

SportingBD
September 18, 2017, 01:44 PM
India is not short of manpower, so this will be a (further) drag.

It would be a bad idea honestly. The likes of Chittagong and Sylhet won't be the cities that they are for starters, and will be tucked in a corner of the country and bereft of development that other regions receive.

Usually posters from overseas, India/Pakistan, SL etc hardly know about other regions of BD apart from Chittagong and Dhaka. I'm curious as to how you knew about Sylhet? Chittagong and Dhaka, I can understand. Two of the biggest city..

hmmmm.

Sylhet can survive by itself, financially... if you didn't know.

Vahroone
September 18, 2017, 01:44 PM
With that said, Bangladesh as an economy is much more vibrant than some of your states that are lagging behind. If the question was, would India swap some of their states for Bangladesh, I bet most Indians would want that. (religion issue aside)

Fair call. But India is a country of 29 states and many Union Territories. It's inevitable that some would be doing worse than any given country - including Bangladesh.

Vahroone
September 18, 2017, 01:45 PM
Usually posters from overseas, India/Pakistan, SL etc hardly know about other regions of BD apart from Chittagong and Dhaka. I'm curious as to how you knew about Sylhet? Chittagong and Dhaka, I can understand. Two of the biggest city..

hmmmm.

What's the big deal about knowing of Sylhet?

SportingBD
September 18, 2017, 01:46 PM
What's the big deal about knowing of Sylhet?

It is so random.

As overseas posters usually don't know about those district
Just curious how you knew..

Vahroone
September 18, 2017, 01:48 PM
It is so random.

As overseas posters usually don't know about those district
Just curious how you knew..

I'm interested in geography, I guess. I know Sylet is a city in NE Bangladesh, close to Assam. Lots of folks from the UK hail from there.

SportingBD
September 18, 2017, 01:48 PM
I am now doubting whether you are a real Indian.

Or a Bangladeshi disguised as an Indian.

SportingBD
September 18, 2017, 01:50 PM
I'm interested in geography, I guess. I know Sylet is a city in NE Bangladesh, close to Assam. Lots of folks from the UK hail from there.

How did you know lot of sylhetis are in UK:ohno:

Hmm.... E-)

Something doesn't... sound right...

not sure an Indian would know that..

Vahroone
September 18, 2017, 01:51 PM
I am now doubting whether you are a real Indian.

Or a Bangladeshi disguised as an Indian.

Yeah, okay. Just because I mentioned the name of Bangladesh's third largest city. :rolleyes:

I'll return to this thread if others contribute to my previous posts / or respond to the thread title.

SportingBD
September 18, 2017, 01:53 PM
Yeah, okay. Just because I mentioned the name of Bangladesh's third largest city. :rolleyes:

I'll return to this thread if others contribute to my previous posts / or respond to the thread title.

You sound like a known BC member, hmm...
That often can't stop mentioning/referencing Sylhet...

SportingBD
September 18, 2017, 01:57 PM
On a serious note.

Now I have started to doubt.. how many of those Indian posters are genuine Indians...

Yankees
September 18, 2017, 01:59 PM
Fair call. But India is a country of 29 states and many Union Territories. It's inevitable that some would be doing worse than any given country - including Bangladesh.

It's only natural. Just look at the US and Canada. Canada's economy is tiny compared to the US, but it's doing much better in infrastructure, employment, and quality of life than many American states. The same can and will be said of Bangladesh and India.

This is always the challenge for big countries. Some states or territories, particularly those without any geographic advantage, will inevitably get left behind. It's happened in US, China, and will happen to India as well.

jabbar
September 18, 2017, 03:54 PM

Preposterous thought.
And how is this even relevant to cricket?

Yankees
September 18, 2017, 04:20 PM
Preposterous thought.

This is the "forget cricket" section, doesn't need to be relevant to cricket at all.

anon4567
September 20, 2017, 03:39 AM
Many Bangladeshis and Indians agree that the division of Bengal based on religion was wrong back then. Many including Rabindranath Tagore, strongly opposed such a divide back in 1905 as proposed by Lord Curzon, which was done by the Brits only to weaken Bengal.

In 1946-47 we had seen some of the worst riots on both sides of the border leading to thousands of casualties. I am just suggesting if today we can right this wrong, if we can forget about our religious differences and embrace our cultural similarities. I don't see how this suggestion is "preposterous" to ask how my fellow Bangladeshis would feel about such a merger.

If you look in Quora and similar sites I frequently see Indian nationals asking the same question about the possibilities/ viabilities of Bangladesh joining India and Indians answering back, so I thought I would get a Bangladeshi perspective on this. I don't see how this is belitteling my country and my fellow Bangladeshis? The muktibahini and the people giving their lives so that we can live freely, and speak in Bangla today will never be forgotten.

I am just suggesting that if Rabindranath Tagore's vision for a united Bengal would ever become a reality, or will we remain divided till the end of time.

Preposterous thought.
Hence this is in the "Forget Cricket" section. Navigate to this link (http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/forumdisplay.php?f=4) to get back to discussions on cricket.

anon4567
September 20, 2017, 03:51 AM

On a sidenote - the GDP per capita of Bangladesh is $1,359, which is higher than the Indian states of Assam, Tripura, Jharkhand, Uttar Pradesh, Manipur and Bihar, which would generally indicate that the living standards of Bangladeshis are higher than the aforementioned Indian states.

We are not really too far away from West Bengal at $1,532, which is around what most other Indian states are at.

Night_wolf
September 20, 2017, 05:32 AM
I couldn't get past the first para, what Identity crisis? Bangali, Bangladeshi, Muslim? are you kidding?

I am a Bangladeshi because I am a citizen of Bangladesh. I am a Muslim as this is my religion, I am a Bangali because I speak the language Bangla, its my mother toung. I am all three

there are no identity crisis here, if there was everyone in the world will ask the same question.

Roy_1
September 20, 2017, 09:38 AM
No friggin way in hell, this proposal is a complete recipe for disaster on so many levels. We Indians acknowledge that BD is a proud nation and respect their sovereignty and expect them to respect our border fences in return. In a world where millions die over an inch of disputed land we settled our disputes in the most peaceful way possible, we are good neighbors, share linguistic and cultural similarities and our friendship is time-tested, we should try our best to keep it that way.

Yankees
September 20, 2017, 11:27 AM
I couldn't get past the first para, what Identity crisis? Bangali, Bangladeshi, Muslim? are you kidding?

I am a Bangladeshi because I am a citizen of Bangladesh. I am a Muslim as this is my religion, I am a Bangali because I speak the language Bangla, its my mother toung. I am all three

there are no identity crisis here, if there was everyone in the world will ask the same question.

Maybe not for you, but this is a question the country as a whole needs to address over and over. Like it or not, there is an extremist threat in Bangladesh, which, if left unchecked, will slowly eradicate Bengali identity in favor of the Muslim identity.

As a person, we can be both Bengali AND Muslim. But a country can't do that. Either the country is Bengali and only upholds Bengali nationalism (as dictated in our constitution) or a country is an Islamic country and only upholds Islamic values. Which do you want?

goru
September 20, 2017, 11:51 AM
I second the idea of uniting with West Bengal.

But while we are at it, I think the ideal solution would be:

New United Bangladesh = Present-day Bangladesh +(West Bengal) +(Rakhaine) -(Sylhet)*

* see: http://www.bangladesh.com/forums/open-board/11937-isnt-about-time-sylhet-became-independent.html

Roy_1
September 20, 2017, 12:46 PM
I second the idea of uniting with West Bengal.

But while we are at it, I think the ideal solution would be:

New United Bangladesh = Present-day Bangladesh +(West Bengal) +(Rakhaine) -(Sylhet)*

If wishes were horses....:lol:

I wonder what @SportingBD has to say about such discriminatory treatment towards Sylhetis by other Bangladeshis >:)>:)>:)>:)

SportingBD
September 20, 2017, 01:07 PM

I wonder what @SportingBD has to say about such discriminatory treatment towards Sylhetis by other Bangladeshis >:)>:)>:)>:)

This is quite interesting, too be honest.

I just checked the referendum result of 1947, I'm little shocked.
Why? only 56% voted Sylhet to be part of Bangladesh.

43% of the people didn't want Sylhet to be part of Bangladesh. That is a big number.
Now after 70 years of the last referendum, lets assume.. we have a new one.

Should Sylhet become a independent country? if in 1947 there was 43% willing to join Assam... you can imagine the percentage would perhaps be really high now

As a Sylheti.. if I ask myself, genuinely.. if there was a referendum to make Sylhet as a country? what would I vote? yes or no? I have the feeling majority would vote yes, including me.

*for various economical and political factors.

There has been a growing feeling amongst Sylhetis that we are treated badly politically and economically by the Dhaka elites.. so the number maybe really high.

Yankees
September 20, 2017, 01:07 PM

I love how he says "Present-day Bangladesh" like it's only a matter of time
:lol::lol::floor::floor::floor:

SportingBD
September 20, 2017, 01:10 PM
I love how he says "Present-day Bangladesh" like it's only a matter of time
:lol::lol::floor::floor::floor:

Goru bhia has a point.

I get the feeling... soon in the future something will happen..

SportingBD
September 20, 2017, 01:15 PM
This is quite interesting, too be honest.

I just checked the referendum result of 1947, I'm little shocked.
Why? only 56% voted Sylhet to be part of Bangladesh.

43% of the people didn't want Sylhet to be part of Bangladesh. That is a big number.
Now after 70 years of the last referendum, lets assume.. we have a new one.

Should Sylhet become a independent country? if in 1947 there was 43% willing to join Assam... you can imagine the percentage would perhaps be really high now

As a Sylheti.. if I ask myself, genuinely.. if there was a referendum to make Sylhet as a country? what would I vote? yes or no? I have the feeling majority would vote yes, including me.

*for various economical and political factors.

There has been a growing feeling amongst Sylhetis that we are treated badly politically and economically by the Dhaka elites.. so the number maybe really high.

However, It maybe extremely difficult to hold a referendum. The impact on Bangladesh economy will be significant, if Sylhet was to be made an independent country. Therefore, it is highly unlikely the government would ever allow a referendum to take place in making Sylhet a independent country. It is solely for the fear of the economy collapsing.

Yankees
September 20, 2017, 01:23 PM
I've got a better idea:

Let Sylhet and Assamese sylhetis becomes an independent country.
Let Bangladeshi Hindus go to West Bengal.
Let Bangladeshi Buddhists join Sri Lanka.
Let Bangladeshi Christians join Goa.
Let the Biharis go join Pakistan.
Let Chittagong claim Portugese ancestry and join Portugal.
Let the Paharis join Myanmar.
Let the mullahs go and become miskins in the middle east.

There we go. Now no one can claim they don't get representation. Joy whatever is left of Bangla.

SportingBD
September 20, 2017, 01:26 PM
Sylhet and Assamese? big NO NO!

Sylhet as an independent country.. highly likely.. if a referendum was held.

However, if assamese are involved in the referendum.. the vote will be a majority no...

mufi_02
September 20, 2017, 01:29 PM
^Biharis are Indians :facepalm:

accha ami sylhet niye kichu lekhlei sylhet hater howe jay. but apnarai dekhun. ami charao toh onekei ei sylther er bhumika niye proshno tuleche, tulche, tulbe. glad to know I am not the only one.

aklemalp
September 20, 2017, 01:31 PM
Change the title of the thread to 'Shylet as an independent country'.

/s

Yankees
September 20, 2017, 01:32 PM

They wanted to join Pakistan, hence the term "stranded Pakistanis" :facepalm:

Roy_1
September 20, 2017, 01:38 PM

What did we do ? :-/:-/:-/

I made a light-hearted comment, didn't the devil emoji give it away? :sigh::sigh:

aklemalp
September 20, 2017, 01:40 PM

I made a light-hearted comment, didn't the devil emoji give it away? :sigh::sigh:

Should have added: /s

It's what we do on Reddit

Roy_1
September 20, 2017, 01:45 PM
BTW SportingBD how do you think an independent Sylhet would do economically considering it will be completely landlocked with no access to the sea and will border hostile Mufis, Yankees and Assamese on all sides ? :D:D:

Roy_1
September 20, 2017, 01:56 PM
They wanted to join Pakistan, hence the term "stranded Pakistanis" :facepalm:

True, some of the worst atrocities during operation searchlight were committed by them, but no point having grudge against this generation for the crimes committed in the past, if they want to be assimilated with the mainstream they should be allowed to,just my personal opinion.

SportingBD
September 20, 2017, 02:01 PM
BTW SportingBD how do you think an independent Sylhet would do economically considering it will be completely landlocked with no access to the sea and will border hostile Mufis, Yankees and Assamese on all sides ? :D:D:

Economically Sylhet will be booming. Foreign investments (mainly from UK) will be HUGE. We have vast natural resources, our region is known for businesses etc, especially real estates. If any region can survive by itself economically, than Sylhet is one of them.

You have to remember one thing. Sylhet here doesn't want to be independent by their own choice, rather the political and economical imbalances towards the Sylheti people is slowly forcing Sylheti into this. We want to remain Bangladeshi forever.

But, I fear sometime in the future, there maybe an uprise from Sylheti people due to the unfair treatment received from the elites in power.

mufi_02
September 20, 2017, 02:06 PM

it was not directed at you.

on topic, absolutely NOT. joining India or any other country is an insult to freedom fighters and their sacrifices. they fought for an independent secular Bangladesh. and we will remain that.

India (including WB) is proud nation on their own term. why would they just absorb a small piece of land that has 170 million.

ridiculous idea.

Yankees
September 20, 2017, 02:07 PM

I can tell you exactly how this will play out:

-Sylhet proclaims independence from tyrannical Bangladesh.

-"We are with you Sylhet" says Kashmir, Scotland, Catalonia.

-Bangladeshi army invades Sylhet, prompting protests all over East London. Theresa May, distraught from all the protests, brings up issue to the UN.

-UN deploys peacekeeping soldiers to Occupied Sylhet. As Bangladesh is the largest distributor of peacekeeping soldiers to the UN, it becomes a bhai vs bhai standoff.

-Outside political pressure forces Hasina to step down.

-People's Republic of Sylhet is born.

-Sylhet, without any access to sea ports or natural resources, goes into deep famine. Remittance from the UK surprinsingly not enough to sustain a nation.

-Most of its 500,000 inhabitants seek jobs elsewhere, like neighboring Bangladesh.

-"Are there too many illegal Sylhetis in Bangladesh?" claims Prothom Alo.

-"Ironic" claims India.

-""Ironic" claims India" Ironic, claims Canada/UK/US.

-Poster on Sylhet cricket forum posts thread "Should Sylhet join Bangladesh for a better economic future?" Gets blasted as idiotic by the rest.

Roy_1
September 20, 2017, 02:08 PM
it was not directed at you.

on topic, absolutely NOT. joining India or any other country is an insult to freedom fighters and their sacrifices. they fought for an independent secular Bangladesh. and we will remain that.

India (including WB) is proud nation on their own term. why would they just absorb a small piece of land that has 170 million.

ridiculous idea.

I know Mufi da, I was just kidding around :D

Agreed with you 100% on all the points.

Roy_1
September 20, 2017, 02:23 PM
I can tell you exactly how this will play out:

-Sylhet proclaims independence from tyrannical Bangladesh.

-"We are with you Sylhet" says Kashmir, Scotland, Catalonia.

-Bangladeshi army invades Sylhet, prompting protests all over East London. Theresa May, distraught from all the protests, brings up issue to the UN.

-UN deploys peacekeeping soldiers to Occupied Sylhet. As Bangladesh is the largest distributor of peacekeeping soldiers to the UN, it becomes a bhai vs bhai standoff.

-Outside political pressure forces Hasina to step down.

-People's Republic of Sylhet is born.

-Sylhet, without any access to sea ports or natural resources, goes into deep famine. Remittance from the UK surprinsingly not enough to sustain a nation.

-Most of its 500,000 inhabitants seek jobs elsewhere, like neighboring Bangladesh.

-"Are there too many illegal Sylhetis in Bangladesh?" claims Prothom Alo.

-"Ironic" claims India.

-""Ironic" claims India" Ironic, claims Canada/UK/US.

-Poster on Sylhet cricket forum posts thread "Should Sylhet join Bangladesh for a better economic future?" Gets blasted as idiotic by the rest.

:lol:

On a serious note though, the most important thing for a newly formed country is to get recognition from the rest of the world, I am sure most Bangladeshis still remember fondly what Indira Gandhi did to gain recognition from the world powers for a newborn BD, I don't think Sylhet will find such an ally in India, despite what social media tells you India and BD are on the best of terms and will likely to remain so, I am pretty sure if such a situation arises India will completely side with BD and so is US and Russia, not sure about China though.

roman
September 20, 2017, 03:46 PM

Too bad you wont be able to change your BC username to SportingSh..Only change to your real name is allowed.

This thread made me sad. People want to join India, some want to create another sovereign country, whats next? Sylheti as national language?. WTH is wrong with us? This is what happens when we get independence within 9 months I guess. People dont value things they get easily. 3 million lives mean jack to them.

Shingara
September 20, 2017, 03:48 PM
This thread gets my seal of BAKWAZ!

SportingBD
September 20, 2017, 03:57 PM
Too bad you wont be able to change your BC username to SportingSh..Only change to your real name is allowed.

This thread made me sad. People want to join India, some want to create another sovereign country, whats next? Sylheti as national language?. WTH is wrong with us? This is what happens when we get independence within 9 months I guess. People dont value things they get easily. 3 million lives mean jack to them.

Sylhetis are proud Bangladeshis. Like many others, our forefathers fought for the independence of Bangladesh. But it is sad, how Sylhet/Sylheti is seen as something that is not part of Bangladesh, by the Dhaka elites/people. The neglect that Sylhetis face, even to some extent, many in Bangladesh disregarding them as not real Bengalis is sad, and it goes back to the same Dhaka problem. Than you have the economical and political imbalances against the Sylheti people. There are many factors as to why sylhetis may consider voting Yes to a independent country. It's not by choice, rather a forceful surrender to many factors that may lead to this outcome. Show same respect to Sylhet people as all other regions? in the sense of political powers, economical development etc?

Yankees
September 20, 2017, 04:27 PM
:lol:

On a serious note though, the most important thing for a newly formed country is to get recognition from the rest of the world, I am sure most Bangladeshis still remember fondly what Indira Gandhi did to gain recognition from the world powers for a newborn BD, I don't think Sylhet will find such an ally in India, despite what social media tells you India and BD are on the best of terms and will likely to remain so, I am pretty sure if such a situation arises India will completely side with BD and so is US and Russia, not sure about China though.

If India supports Bangladesh, then Pakistan will support Sylhet. Ye Pakistani logic hai :lol:

Yankees
September 20, 2017, 04:39 PM

Jokes on you, his parents named him MD Mohir Uddin Sporting Sylhet.

Not sure why this thread would make you sad, out of all the things to be sad about. SportingBD might seem extreme, but he does bring up some valid points. And not sure why Sylheti gets dismissed as just another dialect. It is considered a separate language by the international community. Denying them that status makes us no different than Pakistan.

roman
September 20, 2017, 05:03 PM
But it is sad, how Sylhet/Sylheti is seen as something that is not part of Bangladesh, by the Dhaka elites/people. The neglect that Sylhetis face, even to some extent, many in Bangladesh disregarding them as not real Bengalis is sad, and it goes back to the same Dhaka problem. Than you have the economical and political imbalances against the Sylheti people. There are many factors as to why sylhetis may consider voting Yes to a independent country. It's not by choice, rather a forceful surrender to many factors that may lead to this outcome. Show same respect to Sylhet people as all other regions? in the sense of political powers, economical development etc?

2 if not more of our finance ministers were from Sylhet. Many of our MPs are from Sylhet. Many of our government officials are Sylhetis. The economy of Sylhet Division is the third largest in Bangladesh. What are you talking about bro?

If Sylhet were neglected, BD would not spend much on Sylhet cantonment. Take a look at Bangladesh army formation.

Sylhet Area Command, headquartered at Jalalabad Cantonment
17th Infantry Division HQ[3]
17th Artillery Brigade
306th Infantry Brigade
11 Infantry Brigade
52th Infantry Brigade
32nd Bangladesh Infantry Regiment
33rd Bangladesh Infantry Regiment
18th Field Regiment Artillery
21st Engineers Battalion
91st Field Ambulance Unit
17th Military Police Unit
38th Supply and Transport Battalion
508th Division Ordnance Company(DOC)
598th Field Intelligence Unit(FIU)
8th Signals Battalion
22nd Field Regiment Artillery
61st East Bengal Regiment(EBR)
Ghatail Area Command, headquartered at Shahid Salahuddin Cantonment
19th Infantry Division HQ
19th Artillery Brigade
309th Infantry Brigade
77th Infantry Brigade (Mymensingh Cantonment)
98th Composite Brigade (Jamuna Cantonment)

Sylhet Cantonment is also home of the School of Infantry and Tactics (SI&T) and the 1st Para-commando Battalion, an elite commando unit of the Bangladesh Army. How are we neglecting them again?

And dont get how Dhaka people are mistreating Sylheti people? This argument of Dhaka people dont like sylhetis is just puerile to me. How many people do you actually know that are from Dhaka? Dhaka just like any mega cities in the world is a melting pot. People from all over the country including many sylhetis live in Dhaka. My paternal grandfather is Sylheti and I was born and raised in Dhaka. None of my parents are from Dhaka. Even Mufi jake niye eto kotha sheo Moymonshinghor, Dhaka r na bhai :lol:

Zeeshan
September 20, 2017, 05:12 PM
The awkward moment when only sensible post in the entire lot is from Eclipse. :-|

Zeeshan
September 20, 2017, 05:13 PM
I usually do not participate in online fora but I will express my views on this topic.

I am a no one.
I do not follow any religion.
I am not a patriot.
I am not a nationalist and neither am I am not college graduate.
I have zero pennies in my bank account. I do not have a job.
I have no girlfriend and never did.

I have no identity.
I am a faceless person.
Precisely because of this lack of attachment and my stoic life I have balls to be whoever I wanna be.
You wouldn't see me hanging around in Bengali parties, kissing up to people and picking up tissue paper trashes after them or their kids.
I have no friends. You wouldn't see me hanging around in clubs or bars or having a cozy Miller time with jocks watching football.
I like my own status. I was never fond of social media and deactivated them. Simply because Zeeshan Mahmud doesn't go around begging for people's approval and validation.
Yes at one point I had my share of social media profiles. But that is because I lost touch with my essence.
Real Zeeshan Mahmud is not a damn people pleaser.
I ran away from my home at 18 simultaenously dropping out of college and abdicating the religion I was given to live with room mates surviving on my own as a dishwasher.
I live life on my own terms.
So clearly I have no identity crisis as I have no identity.
Who am I then?

I am Spiderman.
First of all, neither religion nor language nor blind patriotism or any other label encapsulates who I am.
I have a tattoo on my left arm that says: "Know Thyself". And I EXACTLY know who I am.
First of all, from non-dualistic point of view, I am nobody. I am nothing. Not nothing. But no-thing. Ineffable.
Then hierarchically down the order...
I am Self.
I am Atman.
I am a Soul.
I am God.
I am Light.
I am Divine Being.
I am a spiritual being in human form.
I am a human being.
I was born in Bangladesh.
And so on and on...down the egoic chain of command.
There will be certain people in this forum who will conflate this with narcissism. What these people fail to realize is everyone has ego. That's right. Even saints have ego. And some nice, kind hearted polite people have what psychologists will call "manipulative ego". Sure they are not proud and haughty and have massive ego in the traditional sense but these people will act nice to get their jobs done. Do Google narcissistic personality disorder.
Even if I were to lose my home, my shelter, my food, my passport and everything that belonged to me tomorrow, I would know in my heart of hearts who I am. No external attachments define me.
As Kierkegaard said: "When you label me, you negate me."
Of course some will interject and point out that I am really not on topic and being bombastic. Exactly that's what I am doing. I am trumpeting how great I am so that all of you can bow down and worship me. :deadpanemoji:
However, having said all these I must point out that I do have values.
I value:
Integrity. Honesty. Loyalty. Self-respect. Mutual respect. Authenticity. Dignity. Friendship. Courage. Pursuit of excellence. Civil liberties for all human beings. Etcetera among other things.
So what I fail to realize, if all you are so chest-thumping patriots, why do you even allow some eponymous "anon" to come to YOUR turf and tell you if you should join their country. As far as myself with no attachment and neutral, I do not care. It doesn't bother me the least bit. But it should bother you. No?
How many times would ICF or PP even allow such drivel to exist? Oh I see. "Free speech and all that." I can respect that. Again, mods swear by the fact that this forum is not democratic. But instead of shutting this damn thread down, why fuel it? I am fuelling it because I am Zeeshan and I can do whatever the f I want.
One of my biggest regret in my career in BC is never to get banned. That means I was just some spineless people pleaser oozing with odious nice guy niceholic syndrome. Secretly I do admire some people in this forum who got banned multiple times. Good. That means they stood up for something they believed in instead of being all goody goody and nice and to bend over their back like Shamim and Athar to please other commentators the least bit they get the signal that a player is showing off bravado. That flag goes up. And this is why Indians never respect us. Cricinfo boasts about their on field accomplishments and we conflate healthy self-esteem with ego and instead become all meek while Indians run us over like deplorable bullies both as commentators and in TV discussion panels and what not. People who has self-esteem problems will point out maybe because we are not good enough? No you idiot. We are not good enough because we do not feel worthy enough. It is cart before the horses. You don't need to succeed to feel worthy, rather the opposite.
We go to colllege. We pen formal letters and fill out forms and check this little boxes. We edit our speech into neat little packages. We make our bosses in office happy and get coffee for them. We edit out purple prose, color and fluff in sacrifice for tehnical and mechanical robotic language in some yawn inducing monographs. In the process, we lose the very thing that makes us who we are: Our SOUL.
Ali didn't become great because he won the battles. Rather he WAS great and that is why he won all the matches.
There was once a study done in psychology. Once a salesman got his foot in the door and asked if he can plant a picket fence on customer X's front lawn. The people who said yes also said yes when these same salesman showed up next week and pitched their sales. I mean this is how people get their foot in the door. This is how the values we cherish gets eroded. This is why - and also mainly due to the fact that world has turned a blind eye- why genocides happen, why 71, Holocaust, Syria, Rohingya, Polpot, Rwanda happens. Not due to this stupid thread, but the fact that slowly and slowly people starts sacrificing their basic human rights.
In French there is a proverb: "Qui vole un oeuf, vole un beuf." One who can steal an egg, can steal a cow.
Point of this rather long winded and my final post being, never ever sacrifice the values, rights, creeds you deeply believe in solely to make other people happy or conversely if it will make you uncomfortable.
Thank you.
Heck now I think this should be its own thread.
[I am a man of my word. I will exit with a bang just like I made entrance into this amazing and beautiful forum.]
All the best guys. For those who ask why I will leave. Well geez man. God doesn't have social media. You also don't see Kobe Bryant, Jason Bourne and James Bond hanging around in virtual online fora bickering if Kayes was in beastmode against Sri Lanka or what not. Anyways, your life is yours mine is mine. It was an amazing journey and thank you for your love, support and blessings.
BC is indeed a great family.

SportingBD
September 20, 2017, 05:32 PM
2 if not more of our finance ministers were from Sylhet. Many of our MPs are from Sylhet. Many of our government officials are Sylhetis. The economy of Sylhet Division is the third largest in Bangladesh. What are you talking about bro?

If Sylhet were neglected, BD would not spend much on Sylhet cantonment. Take a look at Bangladesh army formation.

Sylhet Area Command, headquartered at Jalalabad Cantonment
17th Infantry Division HQ[3]
17th Artillery Brigade
306th Infantry Brigade
11 Infantry Brigade
52th Infantry Brigade
32nd Bangladesh Infantry Regiment
33rd Bangladesh Infantry Regiment
18th Field Regiment Artillery
21st Engineers Battalion
91st Field Ambulance Unit
17th Military Police Unit
38th Supply and Transport Battalion
508th Division Ordnance Company(DOC)
598th Field Intelligence Unit(FIU)
8th Signals Battalion
22nd Field Regiment Artillery
61st East Bengal Regiment(EBR)
Ghatail Area Command, headquartered at Shahid Salahuddin Cantonment
19th Infantry Division HQ
19th Artillery Brigade
309th Infantry Brigade
77th Infantry Brigade (Mymensingh Cantonment)
98th Composite Brigade (Jamuna Cantonment)

Sylhet Cantonment is also home of the School of Infantry and Tactics (SI&T) and the 1st Para-commando Battalion, an elite commando unit of the Bangladesh Army. How are we neglecting them again?

And dont get how Dhaka people are mistreating Sylheti people? This argument of Dhaka people dont like sylhetis is just puerile to me. How many people do you actually know that are from Dhaka? Dhaka just like any mega cities in the world is a melting pot. People from all over the country including many sylhetis live in Dhaka. My paternal grandfather is Sylheti and I was born and raised in Dhaka. None of my parents are from Dhaka. Even Mufi jake niye eto kotha sheo Moymonshinghor, Dhaka r na bhai :lol:

This is from 2009.

Around Tk 11,000 crore, roughly equal to ten percent of the national budget, is lying idle in banks in the Sylhet region, which could be invested in the industrial sector, says a study of International Finance Corporation.

Despite holding all potential for being an export-oriented economic zone with good remittances, geographic position and natural resources, the region is lagging behind for lack proper investment policies, creating frustration among local businessmen.

Lack of cooperation from the banks, non-resident Bangladeshis' apathy for taking risks, high rate of interest, lack of proper knowledge for investment, insufficient electricity supply and bureaucratic tangles are some reasons that stood in the way of investment in the region, said the study.

http://m.bdnews24.com/en/detail/business/194642

Just one example of how the government fails to help! There are many others if you search. This was 2009. I haven't seen huge development in Sylhet as of it.. still.

Night_wolf
September 20, 2017, 08:47 PM
I wonder how many years the syloti extreme lovers here in this forum actually lived in sylet

NoName
September 20, 2017, 09:09 PM
Why is there enmity between Sylhetis and Dhakites

roman
September 20, 2017, 10:30 PM
This is from 2009.

Around Tk 11,000 crore, roughly equal to ten percent of the national budget, is lying idle in banks in the Sylhet region, which could be invested in the industrial sector, says a study of International Finance Corporation.

Despite holding all potential for being an export-oriented economic zone with good remittances, geographic position and natural resources, the region is lagging behind for lack proper investment policies, creating frustration among local businessmen.

Lack of cooperation from the banks, non-resident Bangladeshis' apathy for taking risks, high rate of interest, lack of proper knowledge for investment, insufficient electricity supply and bureaucratic tangles are some reasons that stood in the way of investment in the region, said the study.

http://m.bdnews24.com/en/detail/business/194642

Just one example of how the government fails to help! There are many others if you search. This was 2009. I haven't seen huge development in Sylhet as of it.. still.
Lol. Pretty soon we will hear that Barisal Rangpur khulna want their own sovereign country because they havent seen huge development either. Heck Dhaka needs to be independent too because the government has failed to improve its drainage system. Dhaka gets flooded in every monsoon season. Jonmo theke dekhe ashchi

DinRaat.
September 20, 2017, 11:20 PM
A small thread about Bangladeshi being Indian has turned out to be a fully fledged University thesis.

Seriously some of you guys should do other people assignments, you will make a big buck.

Roy_1
September 21, 2017, 01:31 AM
I usually do not participate in online fora but I will express my views on this topic.

I am a no one.
I do not follow any religion.
I am not a patriot.
I am not a nationalist and neither am I am not college graduate.
I have zero pennies in my bank account. I do not have a job.
I have no girlfriend and never did.

I have no identity.
I am a faceless person.
Precisely because of this lack of attachment and my stoic life I have balls to be whoever I wanna be.
You wouldn't see me hanging around in Bengali parties, kissing up to people and picking up tissue paper trashes after them or their kids.
I have no friends. You wouldn't see me hanging around in clubs or bars or having a cozy Miller time with jocks watching football.
I like my own status. I was never fond of social media and deactivated them. Simply because Zeeshan Mahmud doesn't go around begging for people's approval and validation.
Yes at one point I had my share of social media profiles. But that is because I lost touch with my essence.
Real Zeeshan Mahmud is not a damn people pleaser.
I ran away from my home at 18 simultaenously dropping out of college and abdicating the religion I was given to live with room mates surviving on my own as a dishwasher.
I live life on my own terms.
So clearly I have no identity crisis as I have no identity.
Who am I then?

I am Spiderman.
First of all, neither religion nor language nor blind patriotism or any other label encapsulates who I am.
I have a tattoo on my left arm that says: "Know Thyself". And I EXACTLY know who I am.
First of all, from non-dualistic point of view, I am nobody. I am nothing. Not nothing. But no-thing. Ineffable.
Then hierarchically down the order...
I am Self.
I am Atman.
I am a Soul.
I am God.
I am Light.
I am Divine Being.
I am a spiritual being in human form.
I am a human being.
I was born in Bangladesh.
And so on and on...down the egoic chain of command.
There will be certain people in this forum who will conflate this with narcissism. What these people fail to realize is everyone has ego. That's right. Even saints have ego. And some nice, kind hearted polite people have what psychologists will call "manipulative ego". Sure they are not proud and haughty and have massive ego in the traditional sense but these people will act nice to get their jobs done. Do Google narcissistic personality disorder.
Even if I were to lose my home, my shelter, my food, my passport and everything that belonged to me tomorrow, I would know in my heart of hearts who I am. No external attachments define me.
As Kierkegaard said: "When you label me, you negate me."
Of course some will interject and point out that I am really not on topic and being bombastic. Exactly that's what I am doing. I am trumpeting how great I am so that all of you can bow down and worship me. :deadpanemoji:
However, having said all these I must point out that I do have values.
I value:
Integrity. Honesty. Loyalty. Self-respect. Mutual respect. Authenticity. Dignity. Friendship. Courage. Pursuit of excellence. Civil liberties for all human beings. Etcetera among other things.
So what I fail to realize, if all you are so chest-thumping patriots, why do you even allow some eponymous "anon" to come to YOUR turf and tell you if you should join their country. As far as myself with no attachment and neutral, I do not care. It doesn't bother me the least bit. But it should bother you. No?
How many times would ICF or PP even allow such drivel to exist? Oh I see. "Free speech and all that." I can respect that. Again, mods swear by the fact that this forum is not democratic. But instead of shutting this damn thread down, why fuel it? I am fuelling it because I am Zeeshan and I can do whatever the f I want.
One of my biggest regret in my career in BC is never to get banned. That means I was just some spineless people pleaser oozing with odious nice guy niceholic syndrome. Secretly I do admire some people in this forum who got banned multiple times. Good. That means they stood up for something they believed in instead of being all goody goody and nice and to bend over their back like Shamim and Athar to please other commentators the least bit they get the signal that a player is showing off bravado. That flag goes up. And this is why Indians never respect us. Cricinfo boasts about their on field accomplishments and we conflate healthy self-esteem with ego and instead become all meek while Indians run us over like deplorable bullies both as commentators and in TV discussion panels and what not. People who has self-esteem problems will point out maybe because we are not good enough? No you idiot. We are not good enough because we do not feel worthy enough. It is cart before the horses. You don't need to succeed to feel worthy, rather the opposite.
We go to colllege. We pen formal letters and fill out forms and check this little boxes. We edit our speech into neat little packages. We make our bosses in office happy and get coffee for them. We edit out purple prose, color and fluff in sacrifice for tehnical and mechanical robotic language in some yawn inducing monographs. In the process, we lose the very thing that makes us who we are: Our SOUL.
Ali didn't become great because he won the battles. Rather he WAS great and that is why he won all the matches.
There was once a study done in psychology. Once a salesman got his foot in the door and asked if he can plant a picket fence on customer X's front lawn. The people who said yes also said yes when these same salesman showed up next week and pitched their sales. I mean this is how people get their foot in the door. This is how the values we cherish gets eroded. This is why - and also mainly due to the fact that world has turned a blind eye- why genocides happen, why 71, Holocaust, Syria, Rohingya, Polpot, Rwanda happens. Not due to this stupid thread, but the fact that slowly and slowly people starts sacrificing their basic human rights.
In French there is a proverb: "Qui vole un oeuf, vole un beuf." One who can steal an egg, can steal a cow.
Point of this rather long winded and my final post being, never ever sacrifice the values, rights, creeds you deeply believe in solely to make other people happy or conversely if it will make you uncomfortable.
Thank you.
Heck now I think this should be its own thread.
[I am a man of my word. I will exit with a bang just like I made entrance into this amazing and beautiful forum.]
All the best guys. For those who ask why I will leave. Well geez man. God doesn't have social media. You also don't see Kobe Bryant, Jason Bourne and James Bond hanging around in virtual online fora bickering if Kayes was in beastmode against Sri Lanka or what not. Anyways, your life is yours mine is mine. It was an amazing journey and thank you for your love, support and blessings.
BC is indeed a great family.

Man, you are on a different level altogether as a poster, agreements disagreements aside it is a treat reading your posts and everytime I read them I end up learning something or the other, you and BK are the reason why I haven't left BC already. I would love to meet you in person someday and talk about stuff over a drink or five.

Mas_UK25
September 21, 2017, 01:52 AM
I found some post rather disturbing in this thread. Why isn't this closed yet? OP lacks any patriotism hence maybe he has been watchin bollywood melodramatic films hence this idea of the thread came about in his mind. Or he has been trolled by the Indian trolls on FB too much into believing all the BS they said.

Mas_UK25
September 21, 2017, 02:18 AM

What discriminatory are you talking about?
No discriminatory at all. Ittjust regional banter in good spirit. It's nothing like the discrimination India's North East Mongoloids face from Mainland Indians, and or nothing like the South v North India.

Mas_UK25
September 21, 2017, 02:24 AM
Change the title of the thread to 'Shylet as an independent country'.

/s

You have hate for Sylhet. I gathered long back. constantly typing, "Shylet". It's spelt 'Sylhet', no 'H' after 'S'. Easy to see how it's spelt. Never heard anyone pronounce it as Shy..Let. Silot, Sylhot - I've heard those pronunciations, but Shylet? Jheez. It's like calling Caribbeans as Currybeans - Which I'm sure you might not mind, but we do. Shylet sounds completely off the pronunciation of Sylhet.

Please correct next time.

Roy_1
September 21, 2017, 02:28 AM
What discriminatory are you talking about?
No discriminatory at all. Ittjust regional banter in good spirit. It's nothing like the discrimination India's North East Mongoloids face from Mainland Indians, and or nothing like the South v North India.

Calm your nuts now, I was just messing around, grow a few brain cells for a change before getting all worked up about nothing.

Mas_UK25
September 21, 2017, 02:31 AM
Take that India.. we won 4-3.. what a comeback.. proud of our boys...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZFQUkXLwco

Sorry for the irrelevant post but the thread itself is irrelevant so doesn`t matter... :D

Wow. What a comeback by Bangladesh. :fanflag:

That was like Liverpool vs AC Milan 2005 Champions league final.

Great stuff boys. Always a great extra pleasure beating India in any sports. :)

ReZ_1
September 21, 2017, 02:34 AM
I found some post rather disturbing in this thread. Why isn't this closed yet?

When travelling through the desert you would like to have some trees to be present even if it is a cactus....

eagerly waiting for our next series to start and end the drought in BC...

Mas_UK25
September 21, 2017, 02:34 AM
Calm your nuts now, I was just messing around, grow a few brain cells for a change before getting all worked up about nothing.

I calm Mr know it all.

You seem to think your some genius who knows it all. :lol:

Telling me to grow brain cell? What a troll. Maybe you need to just STFU

Roy_1
September 21, 2017, 02:44 AM
I calm Mr know it all.

You seem to think your some genius who knows it all. :lol:

Telling me to grow brain cell? What a troll. Maybe you need to just STFU

Anyone with even a single digit IQ would understand that I was just pulling SportingBD's leg, just a lighthearted banter is all, now do me a favor and stop wasting my time El weirdo.

Night_wolf
September 21, 2017, 02:50 AM
ok this thread served its purpose