PDA

View Full Version : How to respond to people who don't know where Bangladesh is?

iDumb
September 25, 2017, 12:14 AM
I always struggled to do this past 20 + years... Before it was more common, people didn't know where Bangladesh was. Now it is somewhat uncommon or atleast i thought it was until today.

I am not the type of Bangladeshi who is eager to bring Bangladesh in limelight. Simply I don't care really. But then again I feel frustrated that a person who is talking to me do not know where it is.

I was in a chinese buffet restaurant at langhorne, pensylvania today. After finish eating, the chinese waitress decided to have some small talk with me.

Waitress: Where you from?

Me (in my head thinking - is she asking for my background, or where I am actually driving from - then i decided i will answer to her just like i answer to most ppl that ask me this question) : I grew up here.

Waitress: So you are American (with a smirk on her face)

Me : Well yes my parents are from Bangladesh

Waitress: Where?

Me: Bangladesh

Waitress: Maybe I thought you were Mexican (looks back at the mexican dish washer with a smile), pointing to him, he thinks your wife is mexican

Me: No we have Bangaladeshi background

Waitress: where?

Me: Next to India

Waitress: So you are Indian

At this point my frustration is starting but I am still smiling

Me: yes to some ppl, i guess, for now I am indian

Waitress: oh ok (goes to the dishwasher guy - they are indian

Walking out of the restaurant i was thinking maybe I tipped her too much.. should have given half ...if i was gonna be an Indian might as well be an Indian.

how would you respond?

DinRaat.
September 25, 2017, 01:00 AM
:up::up::up:

Top thread, it boils my blood, when I get mistaken as a Indian instead of a bangladeshi, FFS, we are a population of 156 million, the rock you must live in must be pretty deep to not know the difference between India and Pakistan.

Option 1:You could educate her about the rich history of Bengal and how Bangladesh separate from Pakistan.

Option 2: Slap her for her ignorance

Option 2 is better.

Roy_1
September 25, 2017, 07:27 AM
Walking out of the restaurant i was thinking maybe I tipped her too much.. should have given half ...if i was gonna be an Indian might as well be an Indian.

What are the negative stereotypes about Bangladesh in the west ? Oh wait, one has to know you exist to form racist opinions against you :)

I took you for a senior, knowledgeable and no-nonsense poster, gotta work on my observations.

ReZ_1
September 25, 2017, 07:35 AM
When I first came out of bangladesh I really used to feel sorry and low when someone could not understand where bangladesh is. Once I came across with a chinese student in my university who asked me during our introduction about my origin. I told about bangladesh but he could not understand. I then told him about India and then showed him about the position of bangladesh with respect to india and after that I even googled him the map and told him about different features of our country. He was surprised to know this country exists.

Then I met with another chinese guy who also didn`t know about bangladesh but for some reason that day I asked him back that maybe you are weak in your geography.. don`t you know about banglades(with a surprise)? I also didn`t give him much attention. The next day he came to me and showed me the map in his phone and told that he learned about bangladesh and also showed me the flag and told about the longest sea beach.. I also then told him about all the other relevant details of bangladesh. We had a nice talk and he seemed to give interest to visit bangladesh.

I thought the later person is different than the previous ones so he had an interest besides my different approach. But i took the same approach next time I faced the question from another person about where is bangladesh and the result was amazingly similar. I don`t know whether it was a personal ego or what that made them to act differently.

Now I acutally don`t feel sorry if someone doesn`t know about bangladesh rather I feel pity that his country could not educate him properly to know about us. To this date there is enough reason to know about Bangladesh. There are huge countries where land half the size of bangladesh is almost free of any population but they cant dream of giving shelters to refugees but we are bold enough to share our tiny bit of land with others. Just an example but if that humanitarian effort doesn`t feel me proud then it is better to step back before someone ask me this question.

mufi_02
September 25, 2017, 08:30 AM
What are the negative stereotypes about Bangladesh in the west ? Oh wait, one has to know you exist to form racist opinions against you :)

I took you for a senior, knowledgeable and no-nonsense poster, gotta work on my observations.

no need for being so sensitive and go on personal attacks. this is not a thread about India or Indians but it is so hard to keep the billion plus cyber swamy army these days.

lately you are going on personal attack spree. it is cool to argue (or maybe even name call) at certain times. but statements such as 'Oh wait, one has to know you exist" is taking a swipe against an entire nation. doesn't matter if you end it with a smiley emoji or pretend it was in jest.

Roy_1
September 25, 2017, 09:07 AM
no need for being so sensitive and go on personal attacks. this is not a thread about India or Indians but it is so hard to keep the billion plus cyber swamy army these days.

lately you are going on personal attack spree. it is cool to argue (or maybe even name call) at certain times. but statements such as 'Oh wait, one has to know you exist" is taking a swipe against an entire nation. doesn't matter if you end it with a smiley emoji or pretend it was in jest.

You of all people should know that I harbor no animosity towards BD or it's people, my comment albeit not in good taste was a direct response to the snide remark from iDumb, which I am pretty sure somehow escaped your eyes. I did not mean to offend anyone. Chill Mufi da.

You are right about one thing though, being the only regular poster from India I am like a one man cyber army :D

iDumb
September 25, 2017, 09:18 AM

Some general comments :

1. You don't have to reply to every single post that has word India or Indian in it. It is not your duty to defend India here though you may feel so.

2. This is a Bangladeshi forum and a little bit of India bashing is expected ... again don't take it upon yourself to defend silly things ..

3. High school to college (a bit less) to grad school to now at work .... i encounter with Indian Americans on daily basis ... and brown code of conduct dictates u laugh at those stereo types ... the waitress in the back isn't thinking .. oh I got tipped well ..that Brown guy must be Bangladeshi and not Indian ... maybe psyche of indians in India is different ..

4. This may be a little hurtful but it is not the west that have such stereo types but even in Bangladesh (east Bengal) ppl joke about how cheap ppl are in the west Bengal ( I am just a messenger _ do not shoot ..I am sure there is no truth to it ..)

5. There are noakhali sylheti chatgiaya bashing in jest here all the time .. but God forbid if someone utters India .. it is full blown assault in retaliation .

I don't want you to get banned but some of your replies when defending India is very cringewortht ... there is a Bangladeshi guy who is like that here ..adamnsu ... gets cringe worthy when "defending" bd ... it's embarrassing and I am sure many of your fellow Indians will equally feel same ...

It's not your battle ....

iDumb
September 25, 2017, 09:36 AM
Now I acutally don`t feel sorry if someone doesn`t know about bangladesh rather I feel pity that his country could not educate him properly to know about us.

Rez thank you for sharing your experience. I am very nonchalant about this . This is a waitress who obviously is not interested to become more knowledgeable. It's ok not to know things but it is the follow up questions and response that dictates if the continuation of the convo is warranted or not ...

I had a patient once that spoke soninke only . I have never heard of this language before but I had to find a translator to communicate with him . That week when I got free time I read about soninke more than I should . It's the curiosity . And a proper behavior when u don't know about something ... now saying something like "anybody speaks African language " would not only only be ignorant but offensive ...

So to me it is how you respond when you are told something that matters rather than not knowing about it ....

I said "next to India" ..she says "oh so you are Indian " ... you can't educate at that point ..just agree and walk away ..

Roy_1
September 25, 2017, 09:41 AM
Some general comments :

1. You don't have to reply to every single post that has word India or Indian in it. It is not your duty to defend India here though you may feel so.

2. This is a Bangladeshi forum and a little bit of India bashing is expected ... again don't take it upon yourself to defend silly things ..

3. High school to college (a bit less) to grad school to now at work .... i encounter with Indian Americans on daily basis ... and brown code of conduct dictates u laugh at those stereo types ... the waitress in the back isn't thinking .. oh I got tipped well ..that Brown guy must be Bangladeshi and not Indian ... maybe psyche of indians in India is different ..

4. This may be a little hurtful but it is not the west that have such stereo types but even in Bangladesh (east Bengal) ppl joke about how cheap ppl are in the west Bengal ( I am just a messenger _ do not shoot ..I am sure there is no truth to it ..)

5. There are noakhali sylheti chatgiaya bashing in jest here all the time .. but God forbid if someone utters India .. it is full blown assault in retaliation .

I don't want you to get banned but some of your replies when defending India is very cringewortht ... there is a Bangladeshi guy who is like that here ..adamnsu ... gets cringe worthy when "defending" bd ... it's embarrassing and I am sure many of your fellow Indians will equally feel same ...

It's not your battle ....

Sir, if you are in a room full of foreigners and there are some snide remarks being passed about your people wouldn't you be inclined to defend them?

Yes, I get it now, I might have overreacted, sorry about that. It is just that I really admire you as a poster and I actually learned quite a lot from your posts in the financial thread, so it was kinda shocking for me when you made that comment and that triggered the response. Anyways, all cool now, again I did not mean to troll or offend you or anyone.

Have a great day

aklemalp
September 25, 2017, 09:43 AM
@idumb, was she Caucasian?

Sometimes, I mistake people of southeast Asian descent as Hispanics. I'm of that descent as well, and when they ask where I am from, I usually reply south America...and then they would blurt something out in Spanish. ..I'm flabbergasted.

I get mistake for a Sri Lankan most of the time from curious eyed Sri Lankan girls in college.

Roy_1
September 25, 2017, 09:51 AM
Some general comments :

Didn't know that, it hurts :(

iDumb
September 25, 2017, 09:55 AM
No need to apologize . I am not offended at all . That post was a general observation about you nothing particular about this thread ...

Yes you should reply ... but by posting all that about "senior poster blah blah " it seemed to me u took it personally ..

My point is ..we might be making distinction between us ..but when you are in a land where majority is not brown ... ignorance will mark you based on your color ... a brown guy is an Indian and a Muslim ... Sikh ppl got murdered post 9/11 and called filthy Muslims ...

Now u can be a dumbass and chant shikhs are not Muslims or you can stand up for racism overall ... because victims background should be irrelevant ...

Hence i find it funny that u would take offense in some stereo type that I myself would face ...

Roy_1
September 25, 2017, 10:04 AM
My point is ..we might be making distinction between us ..but when you are in a land where majority is not brown ... ignorance will mark you based on your color ... a brown guy is an Indian and a Muslim ... Sikh ppl got murdered post 9/11 and called filthy Muslims ...

Now u can be a dumbass and chant shikhs are not Muslims or you can stand up for racism overall ... because victims background should be irrelevant ...

Hence i find it funny that u would take offense in some stereo type that I myself would face ...

Agreed 100%, we brownies gotta watch each other's back while in the west, often we end up doing the exact opposite. For an average blue collar American we are all Arabs after all :lol:

mufi_02
September 25, 2017, 10:07 AM

Sometimes, I mistake people of southeast Asian descent as Hispanics. I'm of that descent as well, and when they ask where I am from, I usually reply south America...and then they would blurt something out in Spanish. ..I'm flabbergasted.

I get mistake for a Sri Lankan most of the time from curious eyed Sri Lankan girls in college.

its because you go to CSI, which is full of SL students :)

But you can pass as Bengali very easily as well. If I didn't know you are Guyanese and saw you in Jamaica or Jackson Heights, I would have easily said "bhai kemon asen? bou baccha bhalo toh" (translation - how do you do?)

on topic, I think most in the urban and big cities of USA are familiar with BD. But probably not at smaller cities. To them, anyone who looks brown are Indians. Heck, they even confuse Indians and Arabs.

It is the same with Hispanics. To rest, people from Guatemala, Honduras, DR, El Salvador and others are all Mexicans!

Roy_1
September 25, 2017, 10:13 AM

Sri Lankans there are mostly Tamils? or Sinhalas? Just curious

Tigers_eye
September 25, 2017, 10:15 AM
Just to get a kick out of Roy.... (I told this story here before)

One fine Saturday morning in 1993 (been in US for few years already), waiting for friends to finish their Walmart shopping, I sat on the bench right behind the cash registers. A gentleman (southern with heavy accent) sits beside me. I am college student he could figure that out already. So we start talking. The dreaded question comes up.

Where are you from?

I am from Bangladesh.

Where is that at?

Next to India.

How long does it take for you to drive (Implying in a car)?

I am sitting and thinking how to answer this. Finally after a brief pause, I said, "Pretty long time."

Luckily my friends came out of the registers.

I said, "Have a great day, Sir!!" and left.

mufi_02
September 25, 2017, 10:21 AM
Sri Lankans there are mostly Tamils? or Sinhalas? Just curious

I think mostly Sinhalese. I might be wrong as I am assuming based on my high school SL friends who were all Sinhalese.

Roy_1
September 25, 2017, 10:27 AM
I think mostly Sinhalese. I might be wrong as I am assuming based on my high school SL friends who were all Sinhalese.

Makes sense, since the Sri Lankans in UK and Europe are majority Tamils and they don't get along well in the west is what I've heard

Roy_1
September 25, 2017, 10:33 AM
Just to get a kick out of Roy.... (I told this story here before)

One fine Saturday morning in 1993 (been in US for few years already), waiting for friends to finish their Walmart shopping, I sat on the bench right behind the cash registers. A gentleman (southern with heavy accent) sits beside me. I am college student he could figure that out already. So we start talking. The dreaded question comes up.

Where are you from?

I am from Bangladesh.

Where is that at?

Next to India.

How long does it take for you to drive (Implying in a car)?

I am sitting and thinking how to answer this. Finally after a brief pause, I said, "Pretty long time."

Luckily my friends came out of the registers.

I said, "Have a great day, Sir!!" and left.

:lol:

Allow me to quote Twain - "God created war so that Americans would learn geography."

Makes perfect sense, doesn't it?

For them the world consists of only Blacks, Whites, Mexicans, Arabs, Chinese, Commies and Kardashians.

Yankees
September 25, 2017, 01:11 PM

Technically, Southeast Asian is the region from Myanmar to Vietnam, and all the way down to PNG. We are South Asian. And you would be of South Asian descent.

Don't feel bad, I get mistaken as Hispanic all the time. I also speak Spanish so I just go with it.

Yankees
September 25, 2017, 01:12 PM

Why would CSI have lots of SL students? I've never heard this before.

Yankees
September 25, 2017, 01:18 PM

I don't know how old you are Mufi, but most of my high school SL friends were Tamil. I think the war had a lot to do with the shift .

aklemalp
September 25, 2017, 03:27 PM
I don't know how old you are Mufi, but most of my high school SL friends were Tamil. I think the war had a lot to do with the shift .

You went to high school in Staten Island?

Yankees
September 25, 2017, 04:41 PM
You went to high school in Staten Island?

Nope, in Manhattan. Are there lots of Lankans in SI?

NoName
September 25, 2017, 05:28 PM
Lol, people have a blank expression when I say BD. I usually just follow with a '...its a tiny country beside India'

aklemalp
September 25, 2017, 05:54 PM
Nope, in Manhattan. Are there lots of Lankans in SI?

Staten Island has the highest concentration of Sri Lankans outside of SL.

They have little SL. The cuisine is really good.

Yankees
September 25, 2017, 08:49 PM
Staten Island has the highest concentration of Sri Lankans outside of SL.

They have little SL. The cuisine is really good.

News to me. Lankans just like living on islands it seems.

aklemalp
September 25, 2017, 08:51 PM
News to me. Lankans just like living on islands it seems.

Seems so.

I'm currently sitting next to one on the college shuttle bus heading home lol

icricket
September 27, 2017, 08:54 PM
All of us are educating people about Bangladesh one person at a time. It's a never ending process.
-----------
Nowadays, I usually tell people that I'm from Bangladesh. If they want to know the geographic location, I ask them to google it. In a professional situation though, I tell them that it's in SE Asia.

adamnsu
September 28, 2017, 04:21 AM
All of us are educating people about Bangladesh one person at a time. It's a never ending process.
-----------
Nowadays, I usually tell people that I'm from Bangladesh. If they want to know the geographic location, I ask them to google it. In a professional situation though, I tell them that it's in SE Asia.

Well said and I agree we should tackle one person at a time. Usually people in UK know where Bangladesh is more or less due to the national team playing. But in the rest of Europe I dont think they have much of an idea.

I have to deal with American clients who are quite well educated but have limited knowledge about Bangladesh and I enjoy telling them more about Bangladesh.

I have even managed to convince some Israelis we are a great nation who thought we were a big bunch of terrorists.

But in the past Bangladesh was associated alot with floods, poverty, child labour and garments. It is our responsibility to let people know there is more to our country.

One World
September 28, 2017, 09:31 AM
From 2000-2010, I had to make extra stride to make people recognize where and what is BD about. Since 2013 it was not alike.

Now-a-days most people when I answer the question "where are you from" people recognize instantly and I can sense the pride in their tone when they acclaim that "I know where Bangladesh is" right after my obvious geographic directive response of "beside India, large coast along Bay of Bengal". If people seem more curious I would mention, "just check 'made in' in around Wal Mart clothing section".

This may be because later part of my stay I am mostly around East Coast and people are more knowledgeable in this area when comes to diversity. I think people in central and south still mostly will continue act dubious and their pride probably lies in not knowing :D.

_Rafi_
September 29, 2017, 06:07 PM
When I first came out of bangladesh I really used to feel sorry and low when someone could not understand where bangladesh is. Once I came across with a chinese student in my university who asked me during our introduction about my origin. I told about bangladesh but he could not understand. I then told him about India and then showed him about the position of bangladesh with respect to india and after that I even googled him the map and told him about different features of our country. He was surprised to know this country exists.

Then I met with another chinese guy who also didn`t know about bangladesh but for some reason that day I asked him back that maybe you are weak in your geography.. don`t you know about banglades(with a surprise)? I also didn`t give him much attention. The next day he came to me and showed me the map in his phone and told that he learned about bangladesh and also showed me the flag and told about the longest sea beach.. I also then told him about all the other relevant details of bangladesh. We had a nice talk and he seemed to give interest to visit bangladesh.

I thought the later person is different than the previous ones so he had an interest besides my different approach. But i took the same approach next time I faced the question from another person about where is bangladesh and the result was amazingly similar. I don`t know whether it was a personal ego or what that made them to act differently.

Does Chinese people know Bangladesh by differnt name? Because one of my mates could not recognize BD as I told him I am from there. I told him we are his neighbor and I am surprised he doesn't know about Bangladesh at all. Then on next day he came up to me and showed Bangladesh on map and said oh thats Bangladesh. They call it something different. But, I think he was making this up as he was embarrassed for not knowing at all.

_Rafi_
September 29, 2017, 06:13 PM
-----------

Why would you say that? Bangladesh is a South Asian country.

adamnsu
September 29, 2017, 11:53 PM
Does Chinese people know Bangladesh by differnt name? Because one of my mates could not recognize BD as I told him I am from there. I told him we are his neighbor and I am surprised he doesn't know about Bangladesh at all. Then on next day he came up to me and showed Bangladesh on map and said oh thats Bangladesh. They call it something different. But, I think he was making this up as he was embarrassed for not knowing at all.

I don't think China is really a neighbor. In context of neighbouring countries, some Indians think Nepal is another state of their country as do a lot of Americans think Caribbean countries also belong to them

Yankees
September 30, 2017, 11:31 AM
I don't think China is really a neighbor. In context of neighbouring countries, some Indians think Nepal is another state of their country as do a lot of Americans think Caribbean countries also belong to them

No they don't :facepalm:

bujhee kom
September 30, 2017, 11:36 AM
People here and Europe always think I am Afrikan, I guess due to my very dark skin. Some people even asked if I was Somalian or Senegali...I got tired of this now I just look back at them with a blank stare and pretend I don't understand the fools!

One winter, around 2009 recession (drepression!) when I lost mey job...I stopped cutting my hair, beard, sideburn, Julpi and let a lot of my salt/pepper white hair grow long...I was walking on the Williamsburg bridge wearing an old black coat, pants and hat with a white long sleeve shirt...Some a-hole on the bridge come upto my face and call me a dirty jew and go the F back to Etheopia! That was the first time ever in my life, I almost got arrested and lost 2 of my front teeth...During Hatathati on the bridge I threatened to throw the racist bast'd over the railing in the sewage canal below. I told the Police I will my Rabi and whole Congregation Sabath unless this guy goes to detention.
I once had a tupi over my head while coming out of the Tribeca Dergah al-Farah Sufi mosque, somebody asks where I got my beautiful yamaca from. Schmuck!

adamnsu
September 30, 2017, 04:04 PM
No they don't :facepalm:

My Carribean colleagues have complained to me.

Obviously you haven't don't a consensus

jabbar
September 30, 2017, 05:07 PM
If I may make an observation.

It is a strongly held belief that people form the US are woefully uninformed about the rest of the world. I have visited the US numerous times (my wife is from there), and I am consistently amused and aghast at how ignorant Americans are about other countries. It is as though the rest of the world doesn't matter to them, and might explain some of the ill treatment successive US governments have inflicted on other countries in the past.

So I wouldn't worry too much. As they say: "you can't argue with an ignorant man".

Yankees
September 30, 2017, 05:24 PM
My Carribean colleagues have complained to me.

Obviously you haven't don't a consensus

Your Caribbean colleagues speak for +300mm people, do they?

adamnsu
September 30, 2017, 05:39 PM
Your Caribbean colleagues speak for +300mm people, do they?

They are in much better position than you are.

Yankees
September 30, 2017, 06:16 PM
They are in much better position than you are.

:lol::lol: ofcourse they are. whatever you say. But that still doesn't explain how they can speak on behalf of +300mm people. :facepalm:

mufi_02
September 30, 2017, 07:07 PM
If I may make an observation.

It is a strongly held belief that people form the US are woefully uninformed about the rest of the world. I have visited the US numerous times (my wife is from there), and I am consistently amused and aghast at how ignorant Americans are about other countries. It is as though the rest of the world doesn't matter to them, and might explain some of the ill treatment successive US governments have inflicted on other countries in the past.

So I wouldn't worry too much. As they say: "you can't argue with an ignorant man".

Once again it depends where in US you are. It’s a vast country with 330m people. And to be quite honest, Americans don’t really care about what happens outside. Coz US is the only thing that matters.

Go Murica!! Greatest land in the world. It is the land of the free and home of the brave!

DinRaat.
September 30, 2017, 08:22 PM
Once again it depends where in US you are. It’s a vast country with 330m people. And to be quite honest, Americans don’t really care about what happens outside. Coz US is the only thing that matters.

Go Murica!! Greatest land in the world. It is the land of the free and home of the brave!

Is it true Americans learn geography by going to war.

mufi_02
September 30, 2017, 11:23 PM
Is it true Americans learn geography by going to war.

No by providing and exporting science, technology, entertainment, culture, and everything to the rest of the world.

Speaking of war, Europe would have disintegrated itself with their world wars if America didn’t intervene and bailed them out twice. The two world wars pales in comparison to whatever war US started.

America is not a perfect country. She has her problems. But there’s no denying the fact that no other country (or empire) had a global domination and influence in every facets of social, cultural, technological aspects than America.

Habib
October 1, 2017, 01:05 AM

You could be onto something here. My Chinese course instructor once said they called BD as Munjala guaren. Ugly name I know. They also have this sort of names for some other countries.

DinRaat.
October 1, 2017, 01:15 AM
No by providing and exporting science, technology, entertainment, culture, and everything to the rest of the world.

Speaking of war, Europe would have disintegrated itself with their world wars if America didn’t intervene and bailed them out twice. The two world wars pales in comparison to whatever war US started.

America is not a perfect country. She has her problems. But there’s no denying the fact that no other country (or empire) had a global domination and influence in every facets of social, cultural, technological aspects than America.

Yes, but who can forget the countless countries they have invaded for their dire search of black gold(oil). Been a long time since you guys haven't got involved in a full scale war, my money is bet on North Korea. And how many wars have you guys won exactly.

And the British empire, controlled most of the world, and had a far greater influence geographically, socially and culturally.

adamnsu
October 1, 2017, 01:44 AM
:lol::lol: ofcourse they are. whatever you say. But that still doesn't explain how they can speak on behalf of +300mm people. :facepalm:

This getting a bit immature. I didn't say all the 300+ Americans. Anyways I am sure you will again come with something baseless. Enjoy

Yankees
October 1, 2017, 02:18 AM

haha I wasn't expecting such patriotism out of you tbh. USA! USA!

Yankees
October 1, 2017, 02:19 AM
This getting a bit immature. I didn't say all the 300+ Americans. Anyways I am sure you will again come with something baseless. Enjoy

Right, you said "alot of Americans." Why? because your supposed carribean colleagues told you. Brilliant logic.

I'm not the one making baseless comments. I'm just calling you out on yours.

mufi_02
October 1, 2017, 09:46 AM
haha I wasn't expecting such patriotism out of you tbh. USA! USA!

I spent most of my adult conscious life in US. I won’t live anywhere else. This is home to me. It will be ungrateful of me if I didnt love the country that has given me and my family so many opportunities for a honest life.

As I always say, American dream is still very much alive.

But I am attached to BD too as that’s the country of my birth and childhood.

Roy_1
October 1, 2017, 11:49 AM
I spent most of my adult conscious life in US. I won’t live anywhere else. This is home to me. It will be ungrateful of me if I didnt love the country that has given me and my family so many opportunities for a honest life.

As I always say, American dream is still very much alive.

But I am attached to BD too as that’s the country of my birth and childhood.

How is your Bangla? Do you speak it with a heavy accent? My elder bro too has settled there, he has grown a mild accent over time, could be because boudi is of Scottish descent.

mufi_02
October 1, 2017, 12:07 PM
How is your Bangla? Do you speak it with a heavy accent? My elder bro too has settled there, he has grown a mild accent over time, could be because boudi is of Scottish descent.

My Bangla is fine. I speak with a slight Dhaka (not old Dhakaiya) accent of course.

I write Bangla stories from time to time. I shared in BC—

http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/showthread.php?t=45055

Roy_1
October 1, 2017, 12:29 PM
My Bangla is fine. I speak with a slight Dhaka (not old Dhakaiya) accent of course.

I write Bangla stories from time to time. I shared in BC—

http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/showthread.php?t=45055

Wow, good one man, thanks for sharing :up:

Some of you guys here are seriously talented, looking forward to read more from you.

simon
October 1, 2017, 01:57 PM
Just be patient/humble and explain them with kindness where BD is.
There are countries I can not tell where located, so no need to feel annoyed or embarrassed if BD is unknown to someone.

_Rafi_
October 1, 2017, 03:56 PM
You could be onto something here. My Chinese course instructor once said they called BD as Munjala guaren. Ugly name I know. They also have this sort of names for some other countries.

Mèngjiālā guó. Googled it and found chinese people call us by that.

_Rafi_
October 1, 2017, 04:01 PM

China is our neighbour the way Srilanka and Pakistan are our neighbour. Although, I undersand why somebody would not recognize China as a neighbour. We dont share much culture between us.