PDA

View Full Version : Your immediate Test lineup

al Furqaan
September 27, 2017, 02:03 PM
Lots of debate, but what would you say is the absolute best XI that you would like to see for the forseeable future? Obviously you can't pick a U-19 player as thats too far ahead to be realistic right now.

Imagine this is the lineup for the SL series in January. My team would be thus:

1. Tamim
2. Imrul/Soumya
3. Mushfiqur
4. Mominul
5. Mosaddek
6. Shakib
7. Nurul (+)
8. Miraz
9. Taijul/3rd seamer overseas
10. Taskin
11. Mustafiz

With two left handed openers, having Mushy and Musa at 3 and 5 gives some left-right variation. We bat down to #8 and have a tall WK who can grab wides and leg byes Mushy and Liton would miss without sacrficing on batting too much (if at all).

Shanto, Ibadat, Sabbir, and Liton can be our bench.

Eshen
September 27, 2017, 04:12 PM
Not sold on Mosaddek yet, hard to make a judgement after only one Test. He won't be fit in next 3-6 months anyway.

I rather recall Naeem for the SL series, unless Sabbir makes himself hard to bench during SA series.

It's painfully clear by now that Taskin is not cut for longer formats. Unless things change during SA series, I would rather stick with Roy as a stop gap option for the time being.

Eshen
September 27, 2017, 04:19 PM
BTW, I like the idea of promoting Mushfiq at #3, giving gloves to someone else. But, expect to hear lots of whines if he is forced to do that.

Gowza
September 27, 2017, 05:05 PM
Mine would be:

Tamim
Liton
Shanto
Mominul
Mushy
Shakib
Sabbir
Miraz
Saifuddin/taijul
Fizz
taskin

Think the xi and the squad in the OP are really good especially if shanto and liton aren't able to step up yet.

But liton and shanto yet to prove themselves, Sabbir still has work to do but recent signs are good

al Furqaan
September 27, 2017, 06:21 PM
Not sold on Mosaddek yet, hard to make a judgement after only one Test. He won't be fit in next 3-6 months anyway.

I rather recall Naeem for the SL series, unless Sabbir makes himself hard to bench during SA series.

It's painfully clear by now that Taskin is not cut for longer formats. Unless things change during SA series, I would rather stick with Roy as a stop gap option for the time being.

Might as well pick the bowler who looks threatening for stop gap ie Taskin. If you factor in dropped catches, missed reviews, genuine chances, Taskin would be no worse than Roy (who averages nearly 60) and has a much higher ceiling. That one spell alone in Christchurch Taskin beat the bat 5-6 times.

Mosaddek may be slighly weak against pace...but he's Lara like against spin albeit only faced a mediocre spin attack so far.

Cricket4All
September 27, 2017, 11:27 PM
BTW, I like the idea of promoting Mushfiq at #3, giving gloves to someone else. But, expect to hear lots of whines if he is forced to do that.

Mushy is our best batsman if you put him at #4 or afterwards. But if you put him at #3 then he will so spectacularly fail that he will be out of Test team with a year.

I guess Mushy is not a fool and will vehemently oppose such move.

al-Sagar
September 30, 2017, 04:10 AM
I am not yet convinced about Taskin bowling in a test match ... ....

but again Donny know who can convince me .... ....

al Furqaan
September 30, 2017, 04:39 AM
200 for 4 now.

Looks better than 103 for 3 when Mushy fell.

al Furqaan
September 30, 2017, 04:39 AM
...more importantly 4 singles in a row to throw Maharaj's lines off. Good stuff!

DinRaat.
September 30, 2017, 05:13 AM
This is the best line-up we can possibly sport at the moment.

1.Tamim Iqbal
2.Souyma/Liton Das
3.Mominul
4.Mushfiqur
5.Mosaddek
6.Shakib.
7.Sabbir
8.Mehedi
9.Shahid
10.Roy
11Mustafiz

al Furqaan
September 30, 2017, 05:41 AM
This is the best line-up we can possibly sport at the moment.

1.Tamim Iqbal
2.Souyma/Liton Das
3.Mominul
4.Mushfiqur
5.Mosaddek
6.Shakib.
7.Sabbir
8.Mehedi
9.Shahid
10.Roy
11Mustafiz

WK can't open, and if Mushy keeps he can't bat at 4.
Sabbir's place will depend on how he does this series.
Shahid is a wife beater and also probably has missed his chance anyways.
Roy is no better than Taskin and has way less potential.

We need to bring in Ibadat as we are struggling in the seam bowling dept. Shafiul did a decent job as the 3rd quick this game, but we need more. Rubel, Rabbi, Roy are no solution.

We also need a leg or chinaman spinner.

DinRaat.
September 30, 2017, 05:45 AM
WK can't open, and if Mushy keeps he can't bat at 4.
Sabbir's place will depend on how he does this series.
Shahid is a wife beater and also probably has missed his chance anyways.
Roy is no better than Taskin and has way less potential.

We need to bring in Ibadat as we are struggling in the seam bowling dept. Shafiul did a decent job as the 3rd quick this game, but we need more. Rubel, Rabbi, Roy are no solution.

We also need a leg or chinaman spinner.

Ibadat, that guy hasn't even lit up in the A-team matches or the domestic scene. Abu jayed, is more likely to get into the side, than Ibadat.

al Furqaan
September 30, 2017, 08:58 PM
Ibadat, that guy hasn't even lit up in the A-team matches or the domestic scene. Abu jayed, is more likely to get into the side, than Ibadat.

Yasir Arafat Mishu then. Hope he is at least 135-140 kph.

Taskin should get this series and if he doesn't get at least a few wickets drop him for a young up coming pacer like Ibadat or Mishu. Abu Jayed I dont think is good enough for this level.

Rinathq
September 30, 2017, 09:05 PM

Taskin should get this series and if he doesn't get at least a few wickets drop him for a young up coming pacer like Ibadat or Mishu. Abu Jayed I dont think is good enough for this level.

yea as if pace does jack **** these days... Our best bowler is Fizz and its not because he is fast but because he uses this thing called a brain when he is bowling. Ibadat is barely effective for his clubs and ncl teams...

Gowza
September 30, 2017, 09:16 PM
Ebadat hasn't played enough, he just doesn't get enough games so we don't really know what he's capable of. Would surely have to pick saifuddin or Abu hider ahead of any other young pacers atm right? I mean they are the most experienced of the young guys.

Rinathq
September 30, 2017, 09:20 PM
I would go with

Tamim
Liton
Mominul
Nafees
Mushy
Shakib
Riyad
Miraz
Taijul
Shahid
Fizz

Extras: Soumya, Roy, Al Amin, Nasir

Our next series is against Sri Lanka so thats what my squad is based on. Keeping Mosaddek out because his return is unpredictable at this point.. Him returning would mean he takes Riyads spot and Riyad goes to the bench dropping Nasir. No place for Imrul, Shabbir. Only giving Soumya an outside chance cause he did score some runs in patches. Want Nafees in the side and I think he can be valuable against spin. Liton opened after keeping for 147 overs so I am confident he can do it. If anything, Mushy can keep one innings to take pressure off. He brings a righty lefty combo. For bowling Shahid is a must.. can bowl consistent line and length and keep it tight which is what we need from a seamer. Al Amin on any given day is a better seamer then Shafiul and Rubel is tests and Taskin still has a long way to go before he can be a regular. In home conditions, he will be a run machine

Gowza
September 30, 2017, 09:43 PM
I would go with

Tamim
Liton
Mominul
Nafees
Mushy
Shakib
Riyad
Miraz
Taijul
Shahid
Fizz

Extras: Soumya, Roy, Al Amin, Nasir

Our next series is against Sri Lanka so thats what my squad is based on. Keeping Mosaddek out because his return is unpredictable at this point.. Him returning would mean he takes Riyads spot and Riyad goes to the bench dropping Nasir. No place for Imrul, Shabbir. Only giving Soumya an outside chance cause he did score some runs in patches. Want Nafees in the side and I think he can be valuable against spin. Liton opened after keeping for 147 overs so I am confident he can do it. If anything, Mushy can keep one innings to take pressure off. He brings a righty lefty combo. For bowling Shahid is a must.. can bowl consistent line and length and keep it tight which is what we need from a seamer. Al Amin on any given day is a better seamer then Shafiul and Rubel is tests and Taskin still has a long way to go before he can be a regular. In home conditions, he will be a run machine

I don't agree with everything you said but I respect your opinion, you gave sound reasoning for your team. I think you are right about liton though, I was hesitant about him opening and keeping but then I did a little research and found out he did that in most of if his FC matches (either opening or batting first drop), so he's done it consistently, test level is a level above but if he's fit enough he can do it, he's showed that in this test match.

DinRaat.
September 30, 2017, 10:37 PM

AJRahi has lit up the domestic scene for quite a long time now, show defo get a call up.

Rinathq
September 30, 2017, 10:43 PM
I don't agree with everything you said but I respect your opinion, you gave sound reasoning for your team. I think you are right about liton though, I was hesitant about him opening and keeping but then I did a little research and found out he did that in most of if his FC matches (either opening or batting first drop), so he's done it consistently, test level is a level above but if he's fit enough he can do it, he's showed that in this test match.

tell me what u didnt agree... not trying to convince you.. just curious. You are someone I can have a healthy debate with

Gowza
October 1, 2017, 12:39 AM
tell me what u didnt agree... not trying to convince you.. just curious. You are someone I can have a healthy debate with

At this stage I tend to believe we have better pace options to invest in than shahid, if not long term then even short term as he's probably not completely match ready fitness wise as he hasn't played much.

with nafees, I'd prob prefer to go with a youngster who has shown real promise. Nafees has been away from international cricket for so long that it's almost like starting over for him and unless he can adjust very quickly I would think it's better to give a youngster the experience. There are youngsters who have performed very well but are yet to have their chance.

At the same time, there are valid points to include the players you have included.

Tausif
October 1, 2017, 12:45 AM
Tamim
Soumya
Mominul
Mushy
Shakib
Liton
Sabbir
Miraz
Taijul
Roy
Mustafizur

Extras: Mosaddek, Imrul, Shafiul, Anamul

This is the best XI I can think of for SL series. Soumya has scored runs in patches and has done well recently compared to Imrul. Imrul still should be in the team because he has also played out of place recently. Kept Mosaddek out and Sabbir in since Mosa hasn't played in a while and not sure if he will be ready by SL series either. Included Anamul because Papon chacha has an eye on him and I'm sure he will be in the mix eventually. Plus he won't be too bad one down. Can't think of any fast bowlers better than the ones included. Taskin has been all over the place, Shahid won't be back most likely, and Rubel just sucks in this format.

Rinathq
October 1, 2017, 01:23 AM
At this stage I tend to believe we have better pace options to invest in than shahid, if not long term then even short term as he's probably not completely match ready fitness wise as he hasn't played much.

with nafees, I'd prob prefer to go with a youngster who has shown real promise. Nafees has been away from international cricket for so long that it's almost like starting over for him and unless he can adjust very quickly I would think it's better to give a youngster the experience. There are youngsters who have performed very well but are yet to have their chance.

At the same time, there are valid points to include the players you have included.

Valid reasons. See I grew up watching cricket and hockey at the same time. From Hockey, i have developed this understanding that its very inadvisable to introduce fresh blood or top prospects before they are fully ready. Teams go through years of playing sub par players and finish bottom of the table just to give their prospects enough time to be fully ready. I dont think players like Shanto, Saifuddin, Saif are ready to take a national spot on the toughest format. In my opinion they need atleast 15-20 domestic games before they should be considered. I dont want them to become Anamul, Soumya, Jubair and so on. Meanwhile, there are guys who deserves to play based on performance and merit combined. We dont need their service for 7-8 years. We need them for 2-3 years until the younger ones are fully prepared. If these veterans are still competing the younger ones and beating them in the local leagues, it means they still have the upperhand. The ones who excelled above the seniors (Liton, Mustafiz, Miraz) made the team are doing decently.

DinRaat.
October 1, 2017, 01:23 AM

You want to throw an 18 yr old into the midst of test cricket?

Gowza
October 1, 2017, 02:38 AM
Valid reasons. See I grew up watching cricket and hockey at the same time. From Hockey, i have developed this understanding that its very inadvisable to introduce fresh blood or top prospects before they are fully ready. Teams go through years of playing sub par players and finish bottom of the table just to give their prospects enough time to be fully ready. I dont think players like Shanto, Saifuddin, Saif are ready to take a national spot on the toughest format. In my opinion they need atleast 15-20 domestic games before they should be considered. I dont want them to become Anamul, Soumya, Jubair and so on. Meanwhile, there are guys who deserves to play based on performance and merit combined. We dont need their service for 7-8 years. We need them for 2-3 years until the younger ones are fully prepared. If these veterans are still competing the younger ones and beating them in the local leagues, it means they still have the upperhand. The ones who excelled above the seniors (Liton, Mustafiz, Miraz) made the team are doing decently.

It is conflicting for me as well because a big part of cricket for me was the Aussies dominating and anyone brought in was seasoned and were ready for international cricket but it seems, and it's not just with BD cricket, that these days domestic comps aren't developing players to the required level needed to be fully competent for international cricket. The gap in quality between international cricket and domestic cricket seems to have increased and it's taking players longer and longer to get to international standard.

I also think it is important to put your best team on the park, within reason of course.

Rinathq
October 1, 2017, 03:11 PM
It is conflicting for me as well because a big part of cricket for me was the Aussies dominating and anyone brought in was seasoned and were ready for international cricket but it seems, and it's not just with BD cricket, that these days domestic comps aren't developing players to the required level needed to be fully competent for international cricket. The gap in quality between international cricket and domestic cricket seems to have increased and it's taking players longer and longer to get to international standard.

I also think it is important to put your best team on the park, within reason of course.

But its not like players like Shanto or Saifuddin are making it look easy in domestics though are they? I understand the quality of our domestic scene is sub par but even then the youngstars are doing decent only..

al Furqaan
October 1, 2017, 03:25 PM
You want to throw an 18 yr old into the midst of test cricket?

Well you don't want Taskin and if he doesnt get any wickets in the next Test, we have to look elsewhere. Not many options.

Gowza
October 1, 2017, 04:30 PM
But its not like players like Shanto or Saifuddin are making it look easy in domestics though are they? I understand the quality of our domestic scene is sub par but even then the youngstars are doing decent only..

Saifuddin maybe not as much (well that's in FC cricket, list A cricket he's done great) but both have done well in HP matches and A team matches and shanto has done quite well domestically in FC cricket. Shanto in the recent BCL averaged 61 with bat, saifuddin averaged 21 with ball, even with bat saifuddin averaged 45.

Thing is they are doing just as well as the older experienced players but they have more upside because they are young and have imo a higher talent ceiling.

Rana Melb
October 1, 2017, 06:24 PM
I ll add nayeem islam in sub continent without shadow of a doubt. Also shanto in 15 man sq for grooming.

Rifat
October 1, 2017, 06:33 PM
Naeem Islam and Shahriar Nafees should be auto choice in Bangladesh test lineup in Bangladesh. We are missing a trick here

Rifat
October 1, 2017, 06:34 PM
Abu Jayed Rahi takes fifers for fun in NCL...surely he should be given a try

Gowza
October 1, 2017, 07:09 PM
Abu Jayed Rahi takes fifers for fun in NCL...surely he should be given a try

Problem for him is when he got A team or HP chances he got smashed so selectors have probably pushed him down the pecking order, but if we continue to have issues with the pacer unit in tests then he's surely worth a crack...

What we really need to do is get the wicket taking bowlers and work on their consistency without taking away their potency.

The greats are so good because they have wicket taking skills and deliveries but also because they have that terrific line and length which creates the pressure and wickets are taken.

It's too hard in tests to take wickets without consistent pressure on the batsmen, batsmen just don't need to take chances on those wicket taking balls unless they are in need of runs to move the game along.

But it's easier to teach and learn line and length than it is to teach and learn wicket taking ability.

Rifat
October 1, 2017, 08:15 PM
Problem for him is when he got A team or HP chances he got smashed so selectors have probably pushed him down the pecking order, but if we continue to have issues with the pacer unit in tests then he's surely worth a crack...

What we really need to do is get the wicket taking bowlers and work on their consistency without taking away their potency.

The greats are so good because they have wicket taking skills and deliveries but also because they have that terrific line and length which creates the pressure and wickets are taken.

It's too hard in tests to take wickets without consistent pressure on the batsmen, batsmen just don't need to take chances on those wicket taking balls unless they are in need of runs to move the game along.

But it's easier to teach and learn line and length than it is to teach and learn wicket taking ability.

It was a flat road in India. The team was assembled in the last minute he just finished an NCL match a day ago. Abu Jayed bowled in BPL and he definitely has it in him. He did pretty good in the Under 19 world cup too.

Bangladeshi First Class leagues such as NCL or BCL needs to have pitches that encourage Seam Bowling, Bouncers. unless and until these issues are rectified at the grassroots level, Bangladesh will continue to suffer humiliation overseas against potent opposition.

Night_wolf
October 1, 2017, 08:53 PM
tamim
????
Mominul(at lest for next 2-3 series)
Mushfik
shakib
????
????
Miraz(in spinning condition)/????(when their is no turn)
????
????
Mustafiz

kalpurush
October 1, 2017, 09:03 PM
Lots of debate, but what would you say is the absolute best XI that you would like to see for the forseeable future? Obviously you can't pick a U-19 player as thats too far ahead to be realistic right now.

Imagine this is the lineup for the SL series in January. My team would be thus:

1. Tamim
2. Imrul/Soumya
3. Mushfiqur
4. Mominul
5. Mosaddek
6. Shakib
7. Nurul (+)
8. Miraz
9. Taijul/3rd seamer overseas
10. Taskin
11. Mustafiz

With two left handed openers, having Mushy and Musa at 3 and 5 gives some left-right variation. We bat down to #8 and have a tall WK who can grab wides and leg byes Mushy and Liton would miss without sacrficing on batting too much (if at all).

Shanto, Ibadat, Sabbir, and Liton can be our bench.
I don't think Imrul has a place in the current BD squad.

Also, watching Liton in the on going test, how one could leave him out of the squad?

And, Taskin is not up to test standard at this point imho. Shahid should be in the test squad in place of him.

Gowza
October 1, 2017, 10:47 PM

Also, watching Liton in the on going test, how one could leave him out of the squad?

And, Taskin is not up to test standard at this point imho. Shahid should be in the test squad in place of him.

Liton for sure has showcased his keeping this test, very exceptional, deserves to be kept just on a couple takes he's made, his batting is a bonus but if he adjusts and gets comfortable then he could become the worlds leading keeper bat and that's saying something when you got the likes of QDK around.

Taskin just needs focus, if we need a line and length bowler I think young Abu hider can do that job, taskin has shown ability to produce good line and length but he needs to keep it up throughout a whole test match. But yeah taskin's place is in jeopardy, at the end of the day you need results.

Rinathq
October 2, 2017, 02:04 AM
Saifuddin maybe not as much (well that's in FC cricket, list A cricket he's done great) but both have done well in HP matches and A team matches and shanto has done quite well domestically in FC cricket. Shanto in the recent BCL averaged 61 with bat, saifuddin averaged 21 with ball, even with bat saifuddin averaged 45.

Thing is they are doing just as well as the older experienced players but they have more upside because they are young and have imo a higher talent ceiling.

fair enough... again for me, Its great seeing young blood coming in and taking charge but its devastating to see some of the promising ones fading away so quickly specially when they are brought in too early

Rifat
October 2, 2017, 02:16 AM

Shahid had a domestic dispute maybe he is in jail now i think...

BD_TigerZ
October 2, 2017, 03:41 AM
tamim
????
Mominul(at lest for next 2-3 series)
Mushfik
shakib
????
????
Miraz(in spinning condition)/????(when their is no turn)
????
????
Mustafiz

for home series

Tamim
???? - Liton
Mominul
Mushfiq
Shakib
???? - Mossa
???? - Anamul WK (reluctant but against an older ball may fare better)
Miraz
???? - Saifuddin (Good pace and can hold the willow)
???? - Taijul
Mustafiz

Max100
October 2, 2017, 06:52 AM
Tamim
Shahriar nafees
Mominul
Tushar imran/anamul
Mushfiq
Naeem Islam/liton
Shakib
Miraz/taijul
Shafiuddin
Mustafiz
Shahid

al Furqaan
October 2, 2017, 10:03 AM
Liton for sure has showcased his keeping this test, very exceptional, deserves to be kept just on a couple takes he's made, his batting is a bonus but if he adjusts and gets comfortable then he could become the worlds leading keeper bat and that's saying something when you got the likes of QDK around.

Taskin just needs focus, if we need a line and length bowler I think young Abu hider can do that job, taskin has shown ability to produce good line and length but he needs to keep it up throughout a whole test match. But yeah taskin's place is in jeopardy, at the end of the day you need results.

did LKD do well behind the stumps? I would prefer a taller WK especially on turners at home where Mushfiq concedes lots of 4 byes.

Riyad, Sabbir, Imrul have no business in the squad and they need to be the first guys dropped and dropped for good.

Nafees, Naeem aren't answers either.

Saifuddin will get raped at this level...he is ordinary.

Fizz showing just how good he is. Musa walks back in when fit, Shakib too obviously.

tiger1000
October 2, 2017, 10:53 AM
did LKD do well behind the stumps? I would prefer a taller WK especially on turners at home where Mushfiq concedes lots of 4 byes.

Riyad, Sabbir, Imrul have no business in the squad and they need to be the first guys dropped and dropped for good.

Nafees, Naeem aren't answers either.

Saifuddin will get raped at this level...he is ordinary.

Fizz showing just how good he is. Musa walks back in when fit, Shakib too obviously.

Keepers are not the tallest generally, Nurul is an exception, being tall certainly doesn't benefit on spinning tracks, having a lower centre of gravity gives you more balance, helps with your back and generally smaller athletes are more nimble and quicker, saying that Nurul is our best keeper, followed by Litton.

Mahmadullah did score a 50, but probably isn't enough and imrul did score a third of the runs, but still not enough

Tigers_eye
October 2, 2017, 11:09 AM
We need a pitch reader in the team. :(

al Furqaan
October 2, 2017, 02:43 PM
Keepers are not the tallest generally, Nurul is an exception, being tall certainly doesn't benefit on spinning tracks, having a lower centre of gravity gives you more balance, helps with your back and generally smaller athletes are more nimble and quicker, saying that Nurul is our best keeper, followed by Litton.

Mahmadullah did score a 50, but probably isn't enough and imrul did score a third of the runs, but still not enough

Thats true...lower CoG would be vital for balance. The real skill of keeping is measured by how you keep vs spinners on a rank turner. Even Mushy is a decent to good WK vs pace.

People want Liton because he's a better bat with a 50 FC average. But the issue there is Nurul has a 40+ avg and if Nurul is the better WK, how much marginal benefit do those extra 10 first class runs mean at the Test level? 10 runs at first class level probably only equate to 5 extra runs at Test match level.

But apart from that, I don't think Liton is any better than Nurul as a batsman based on what I saw of Nurul on a sporting Christchurch pitch. Of course neither LKD nor Nurul has played enough matches to tell for sure.

But who keeps is not the biggest problem in our lineup right now.

Imrul, Sabbir, Riyad are all passengers and I'm starting to agree that Taskin is also a passenger. The problem is Shahid, Roy, Shafiul are all 3rd seamers (Rubel shouldn't even be on the A team) and they will all be the weak link if they are picked as the 2nd seamer.

Eclipse
October 2, 2017, 02:48 PM
Not sure about others but I definitely want taskin in the team. He has all the potential to become one of the greatest fast bowlers in the history of cricket. :lol:

Gowza
October 2, 2017, 04:40 PM
I think liton deserves to be in the squad or even the xi, since imrul and soumya haven't done well lately, just due to his batting but he's also a very very good keeper.

Hey if you can fit both nurul and liton in the squad/team then great. But as far as I've seen liton is as good a opening option as we have, got nothing against nurul.

I'm not saying pick liton over nurul, in fact pick liton to open, nurul can take riyad or sabbir's spot.

asif1530
October 2, 2017, 07:36 PM
People want Liton because he's a better bat with a 50 FC average. But the issue there is Nurul has a 40+ avg and if Nurul is the better WK, how much marginal benefit do those extra 10 first class runs mean at the Test level? 10 runs at first class level probably only equate to 5 extra runs at Test match level.

Even though it may be just 10 numerically, difference between 40 and 50 in average is quite substantial for evaluating batsmen. Averaging 50 in test cricket is considered a yard stick for a great batsman. Average 40, on the other hand, is considered a decent top order batsman but not great. Most test player legends will tell you this at least the ones I've heard over over the years from the likes of Boycott, Gavascar, Tony and so on. If we can have 2 batsmen considered great (i.e averaging 50) and 5 batsmen considered decent (i.e., averaging 40), then we have a great top 7. For now, we have only two batsmen - Tamim and Shakib -- that are close to touching 40 (being decent). Mominul is close to greatness if he can repeat his initial form. But the rest are either too early to tell or plain poor as a top order test bastman.

Admittedly, Bangladesh FC cricket is no where near the standard of test cricket. So, we have to take all these numbers with a grain of salt. Nevertheless, we cannot discount the difference in quality between somebody averaging 40 and vs somebody averaging 50.

al Furqaan
October 2, 2017, 08:42 PM
Even though it may be just 10 numerically, difference between 40 and 50 in average is quite substantial for evaluating batsmen. Averaging 50 in test cricket is considered a yard stick for a great batsman. Average 40, on the other hand, is considered a decent top order batsman but not great. Most test player legends will tell you this at least the ones I've heard over over the years from the likes of Boycott, Gavascar, Tony and so on. If we can have 2 batsmen considered great (i.e averaging 50) and 5 batsmen considered decent (i.e., averaging 40), then we have a great top 7. For now, we have only two batsmen - Tamim and Shakib -- that are close to touching 40 (being decent). Mominul is close to greatness if he can repeat his initial form. But the rest are either too early to tell or plain poor as a top order test bastman.

Admittedly, Bangladesh FC cricket is no where near the standard of test cricket. So, we have to take all these numbers with a grain of salt. Nevertheless, we cannot discount the difference in quality between somebody averaging 40 and vs somebody averaging 50.

Yes, but its still to early to tell what those averages are really worth at Test level. If Liton is a vastly superior batsmen, he would still be worth having even if he was a less capable WK. On the other hand a vastly superior WK might make the cut over a slightly better batsmen.

As it stands how about this potential lineup?

Tamim
Liton
Momin
Mushfiq
Mosaddek
Shakib
Nurul (WK)
Miraz
Taijul
Shafiul
Mustafiz

DinRaat.
October 2, 2017, 09:06 PM
Yes, but its still to early to tell what those averages are really worth at Test level. If Liton is a vastly superior batsmen, he would still be worth having even if he was a less capable WK. On the other hand a vastly superior WK might make the cut over a slightly better batsmen.

As it stands how about this potential lineup?

Tamim
Liton
Momin
Mushfiq
Mosaddek
Shakib
Nurul (WK)
Miraz
Taijul
Shafiul
Mustafiz

That squad has 3 Wicket keepers. Nurul Hasans batting is not that great, I rather sacrifice amazing WKing, for someone who is a good batsmen but at the same time a good Wicket keeper not better than Nurul tho(liton)

al Furqaan
October 2, 2017, 10:31 PM
That squad has 3 Wicket keepers. Nurul Hasans batting is not that great, I rather sacrifice amazing WKing, for someone who is a good batsmen but at the same time a good Wicket keeper not better than Nurul tho(liton)

Nurul looked quite solid when he hit 47 in Christchurch which had a sporting surface. Litons high score is not much higher and he has batted on some very flat tracks. we dont have any other openers...if Liton can do the job why not try? hes a RHB as well.

SportingBD
October 3, 2017, 04:21 AM
We need four day tour matches man. Seriously lack of A team hurting a lot (development wise)

Here is my four day squad:

1. Soumya Sarkar
2. Liton Das
3. Anamul Haque
4. Nazmul Hossain Shanto
5. Mominul Haque (C)
6. Sabbir Rahman
7. Mohammad Saifuddin
8. Abul Hasan Raju
9. Al-Amin Hossain
10. Abu Haider Rony
11. Sanjit Saha (Hope his not chucking anymore)

This is like a development squad. From these atleast 2-3 should be considered for national team.

Shadow
October 3, 2017, 01:02 PM

Nothing wrong with three Wicket keepers particularly when one is opening the batting (a specialist position).