PDA

View Full Version : our players lack the stomach for a fight?

RazabQ
May 19, 2004, 12:25 AM
http://www.thedailystar.net/2004/05/19/d40519040128.htm

Came across this on Daily Star. Apparently the pakistani imports were not impressed by our player's stomach for fight, calling em "chicken-hearted"

I wonder, does that apply to the senior squad as well? Amra ki beshi nomro bhodro?

sage
May 19, 2004, 02:59 AM
Corporate team need to bring quality pacers from abroad. Facing them would help us play better against quality pacers like WI.

billah
May 19, 2004, 04:15 AM
Originally posted by razabq
http://www.thedailystar.net/2004/05/19/d40519040128.htm

Came across this on Daily Star. Apparently the pakistani imports were not impressed by our player's stomach for fight, calling em "chicken-hearted"

I wonder, does that apply to the senior squad as well? Amra ki beshi nomro bhodro?

Habibul Bashar is the king of "nomro bhodro" min min kore kotha bole. I don't know how a person like him would inspire our team to have a killer instinct and a very essential disrespect for the opponent's bowlers.

Beamer
May 19, 2004, 10:29 AM
sage, you are right on the money. We need to bring in some quality pacers in the future instead of only batsmen. It will improve our play against good pace bowling. Currently all our players, either in matches or at the nets, only face pacers of dubious quality at home. That needs to change if we are to excel in intl cricket. England series showed us that deficiency and Streak exposed us as well with his bowling. Best, Edwards and co. are doing the same thing. We have plenty of spinners at home and batsmen are getting accustomed to playing spinners relatively well. Its time to do that with pacers and quality imports not only will sharpen our batsmen, but the local pace bowlers can also learn a thing or two.

sage
May 19, 2004, 10:36 AM
Which pacers we can hire? I know Akram played in Dhaka. if you pay good WI pacers might agree. Pakistan also has some pacers.

Beamer
May 19, 2004, 10:46 AM
Well, pacers from the Sub-continent, specially from Pak shouldn't be a problem. Their second-third tier pacers are as good as our frontline pacers or better. Plus, geographic proximity and simmilar pay scale are to our advantage. We can even broaden the horizon and bring in a caribbean or an aussie or two. Now that we have the patronage of big Corporate houses, bigger wallets are available and it only takes one club to do it and the rest will follow to keep pace with their competitors.

Arnab
May 19, 2004, 11:08 AM
Back to the topic. Fahad apparently said "Oder ghilu nei. Khelte namey khub chhoto mon niye."

Zobair
May 19, 2004, 11:12 AM
Hopefully this snub should spur the locals to show some steel. If you ask me, our locals are still getting used to being professional cricketers, thinking and acting like cricketers from a test-playing nation.

[Edited on 19-5-2004 by pompous]

sage
May 19, 2004, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Arnab
Back to the topic. Fahad apparently said "Oder ghilu nei. Khelte namey khub chhoto mon niye."

Thats not what he said. He said lack courage,"Chicken hearted". Are we reading the same document.

Arnab
May 19, 2004, 12:19 PM
It's on prothom alo.

sage
May 19, 2004, 12:37 PM
It's on prothom alo.

OOHH Prothom Alo...... Ok..
Take it easy bro.

akabir77
May 20, 2004, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by sage
It's on prothom alo.

OOHH Prothom Alo...... Ok..
Take it easy bro.
i think that was madeup by prothom-alo as shahosh nai er shatey ghilu nai jay na thik as others reported only on shahosh nai (bangladesherkhela reported that 1st i think)

reyme
May 20, 2004, 11:06 AM
I remember a player who was not "chicken hearted: Inzamam. In one of the world cup matches against NZ, the way he played under tremendous pressure by smashing the ball all over the field was simply amazing. Many players from PAK possesed this great quality called courage. They did not seem to worry about the outcome, just played with courage. Possibly a great quality domestic league helped them to prepare for this types of situation. To make things better they had a good leader: Imran. I did not think they had the best team, but with right leadership and aggressive nature made them world champs. We also have many courageous players, the problem might be they are not in the right places and are not led by the right people in the field. :)

Flip Master Mick
May 21, 2004, 12:13 PM
reyme... i don't think pakistan ever had a great domestic league. its all about the will-to-win for them. our national character can aptly be described as "chicken hearted." it is only normal that our cricketers share similar characteristics.