PDA

View Full Version : Please don't waste Ashraful's batting talent

arafath79
May 20, 2004, 10:40 AM
Hello all,
We all know Whatmore is a nice coach.
I don't know why as an excellent coach like Whatmore is sending Ashraful to open the bat. Ashraful has got nice strokes we saw in the Zimbabwe tour and he made his name in the 5th position. He likes to play strokes which is a bit difficult for him with new ball and he should come to bat in the 4th or 5th position. Please Whatmore, don't waste this talented batsman.

[Edited on 20-5-2004 by arafath79 : missing word]

Beamer
May 20, 2004, 11:47 AM
He only opened in the 2nd and 3rd ODI because those were 25 over games. The strategy was right, unfortunately for Ashraful and us, it didn't work out. Had he stayed for a while, we would be looking at a much higher score in the 3rd and possibly a victory in the 2nd ODI. He along with Bashar are the only two natural strokemakers ( ability to hit fours ) in the squad. Like they say, hindsight is always 20/20. Ashrafuls early dismissals were not good for us and specially in the 3rd game, where he played an atrocious shot to get himself out.

AsifTheManRahman
May 20, 2004, 12:20 PM
I don't think Ashraful's talent will be wasted; he only opened, as pointed out by Beamer, in the last two ODI's because they were 25 over matches, and I don't blame Whatmore for that. It's just that we should not leave him out because of failures like these, and understand that, given the chance to bat at number 5 in 50 over matches, he might make a good middle order batsman, ideal for hitting at the end.

Optimist
May 20, 2004, 12:53 PM
I agree with Beamer and Asif that Ashraful is a natural stroke maker and he was sent to open only becaues the matches were 25-overs each. But Whatmore also said in one of his interviews that he believes Ashraful can be a good opener. I have doubt! I'm sure Ashraful has lots of shots. But how assured he is with his shots? It's one thing to be able to pool/cut or drive......it's completely different thing to do that consistantly. I read about Justin Langer that he practiced the inside out lofted shot for more than a few years before trying it in the match! Without being able to execute a shot consistantly to perfection, one should not try that in the actual matches! In our team only Habibul Bashar has some consistancy in terms of stroke making; and even that consistancy is not very high. So I don't expect much from Ashraful right now! I'm pretty sure Rajin will have higher average because he plays well within himself. That is the reason behind the relative success of Khaled Masud and Manjarul Islam. Stroke making is all-good but without some high- percentage shots that will mean little in terms of runs!

Beamer
May 20, 2004, 01:10 PM
optimist, that is the key : avoiding low percentage shots. Most of our batsmen suffer from that. They are in two minds. They just can't handle the pressure of some tight good bowling for a long time. Plus, their inability to take single or two and work the gaps, make them go for shots that are outrageous and low-percentage. I also have doubt about Ashraful ability as an opener. I don't beileve he will be tried as one in normal 50 overs situation. The piece about langer that you mentioned: thats true dedication and he still can't make it in the One day squad. That says a lot about top tier countries like Australia and the rest chasing them