PDA

View Full Version : Bangladeshi media and Banglacricket Dot Com

chinaman
May 20, 2004, 02:44 PM
Our deshi newspapers, wheather Bangla or English, talk a lot about cricketing and it's proliferation both within our community and beyond. They open up special sections like calypso coctail to describe at length cricket and cultures. They even find spaces to declare unknown and yet to be completed sites to be the first cricket site for Bangladesh.

Only if they could write a thing or two about Banglacricket dot com once a while or even reflected upon fan's posted views to a minimum. Seems like they are taking us as their arch rival or something.

Well, as the largest online fan community for the tigers, any mentioning of Bangladesh cricket will largely remain incomplete without a note about the site which has been making silent yet bold revolution about Bangladesh cricket for many years.

Rubu
May 20, 2004, 02:49 PM
i completely agree. i must add here that, i've been looking for a place for bd cricket fans for last four years and its only last febuary when i found it. i'm pretty sure there are many more like me. our newspapers can really do something about it.

Nasif
May 20, 2004, 10:13 PM
How did you find out?

Lets share how we found out BanglaCricket.

Back in oct 2002, I found out Banglacricket accidentally while searching in goggle. Back then only handful part of people were here. I was the 43rd member. Soon it became integral part of daily routine. And thats the history :duh:

[Edited on 21-5-2004 by nasif]

Mahmood
May 20, 2004, 10:30 PM
Back in 99, I used to chat in bdchat.com. They had a link called Cricket. Clicking on it took me to teststatus.com. When I got here, only Tehsin and Fahmida used to post.

rafiq
May 20, 2004, 11:21 PM
that;s interesting. What did the 2 of them have to say to each other?

Rubu
May 20, 2004, 11:27 PM
at the end of last year, i saw something about bangladesherkhela.com in prothom alo. i was so suprised to see a bangladeshi sport website. then i started to regularly visit bangladesherkhela. and since i'm too use to serving internet, my eyes are, by default, blind to banner add!! (is that add really noticable?) so after spending about 2 months in bangladesherkhela constantly (at least an hour a day) i finally see an add it says banglacricket.com. the rest are history, now i spend 75% of my internet time here.

[Edited on 21-5-2004 by AgentSmith]

rafiq
May 20, 2004, 11:30 PM
Agent, 75% of your internet time is approximately what % of your total time? :)

Rubu
May 20, 2004, 11:32 PM
since everyone is busy i dont get to spend too much time either. say during pick time, when a series going on, about 1-3 hours + the game time. otherwise around 30min to 1 hour per day.

mahbubH
May 21, 2004, 02:30 AM
during Namibia tour I was looking for scores and a google search took me here to show chainaman-way to get score from Namibia!

Mridul
May 21, 2004, 07:09 AM
i usually visit cricinfo ..... especially for stat....next to cricinfo its howstat.com that i used to visit at most of the time......then once...i was just typing bangladesh cricket/ bd cricket / bangla cricket on googe search....and found this website

...but prior to visit this site....i also visited teststatus/bdcricket......and there I found some BD Domestic cricket stat(oneday)...which i did not find in cricinfo

...if we can update our domestic cricket's statistics here by ourselves...not depanding on cricinfo...that would be great i think...and more ppl...especially crazy bd fans will visit this site to check out the updated domestic stats...and dont have to bother to check cricinfo for bangladesh cricket stats

nasifkhan
May 21, 2004, 11:41 AM
I came to know this home page when
BD A was playing the Busta Cup.

It was in teststatus.com.

Cricket46
May 21, 2004, 02:48 PM
This might sound strange, but somebody wrote a letter to the "letters to the Editor" column in the Daily Star that had some information on banglacricket.com. That is how I am here. Somebody in this thread said something about being the 43rd member. Wonder what would be my number? Can we not assign number by membership date and time. If that also matches up then by last name. That would be interesting.

Zobair
May 21, 2004, 02:53 PM
You can check your number by going through the "Member List" (Top-left corner of this page. The Members are listed by the date on which they formally registered on this site. You happen to be the 69th member of this board.

[Edited on 21-5-2004 by pompous]

Cricket46
May 21, 2004, 03:02 PM
I come to this site primarily for cricket. But lately, I also check out the sections on other stuff. For instance, at jumma this afternoon a Bangladeshi guy told me if I had heard of the explosion in Sylhet. Sure enough, I come to this site and find someone has already opened up a thread.

I have also liked Rajputro’s link on kobitaogaan. Oh those jokes by Bhanu brought back old memories. Duikhaan kotha :) Some people would know what I am talking about.

Pompous, thanks, but now I feel so stupid. In any case, I am in two places. The first one is I guess when I first registered, and the second one was when I first posted a message. Are all messages archived?

Tehsin
May 21, 2004, 11:01 PM
I got to the website quite by accident. I was surfing the net to find more info about bangladesh Kho Kho league and one search led to another and after sifting through hundreds of pop up, i saw something called tiger's board and the rest is history ..... okay, I keed.

I was getting tired, bored and frustrated and just following cricinfo text (if we were lucky enough) coverage or delayed scores wasn't cutting it for me. I knew there were others out there, just like me (or crazier). When I moved to teststatus.com (anyone been to www.iocc.com/~salient/ ?), I was happy to get the free message board with it. Fahmida (fwullah) was first to join. It grew slowly (very very slowly) and it was really dissapointing for a while as I would go to various chat places (irc and later paltalk and even face to face) to find other fans like me but unfortunately there wasn't much luck there.

Any case, am excited to be part of all this and can only imagine how far we can go from here.

Rubu
May 21, 2004, 11:13 PM
tehsin vai, got a question for ya. as i read above, u and fw used to post here at the beginning. when i try to imagine this, two people in a board posting messages, i get a weird feeling. and comparing where this site is now, its already a history. do u mind sharing your journey so far with us? i bet it would be a nice article to read. yeah, u already did write few lines, but i was talking about more details and including events that changed the path also the addition of some key members of the site such as chinaman and doc. Z. wanna give it a try?

fwullah
May 21, 2004, 11:26 PM
that;s interesting. What did the 2 of them have to say to each other?

The same thing that we discuss with each other on this site - BANGLADESH CRICKET

Like many in this board, I didn't come here accidentally.

When Internet was first available in Bangladesh, my brother, a computer fanatic, used to use the Internet connection at our home - in those dial up connection times, it used to be very costly to have 2 people using the Internet using the same account. So obviously, he didn't give me much choice to use Internet while he was here.

But then during summer of 1998, he went to UK for higher studies (and still living there until now) and gave me THIS POWER to use the Internet.

It took me some time to know things - that is, using the search engines. I used to use altavista at first.

Using altavista, I used to search for the word "Bangladesh Cricket" and found out Cricinfo.

I think, not too soon after that, I found the rivals.net's teststatus.com.

I was more encouraged to search more of Bangladesh Cricket online especially after Bangladesh's good performance during the world cup 1999. I don't exactly remember was it during the world cup '99 or was it before or after, that I found teststatus.

You know the rest of the story.

Tehsin
May 22, 2004, 12:55 AM
Agent, I reached 30 a few days back and my memory as it is is already starting to fade, eheh.

Yeah, it used to be funny for a little bit with 2 folks talking about BD cricket (atleast now - we get some close games, back then, it used to be even more depressing). By the way, looks like they finally killed the teststatus.com site. It was up until last week.

I don't remember who came in when but I remember Rajputro, Almer (with newage, not a member here), Sham, Piranha and a few others were there during the early days. I was single and in college and had all the time in the world to spend on this site (kinda like what chinaman is doing now. Except, he is not single, IS married and is not a student - How do you do it man ?). I don't think we lost too many folks from teststatus but I do miss that place.

Some key members ? You kidding me ? If I leave someone out, I'd be in deep you know what. Not falling for that trap. I'll let someone else take the hit for that one. :)

fwullah
May 22, 2004, 07:00 AM
If anyone's interested, here is an example of what it used to be like back in the old days.

Test Status (http://bangladeshcricket.rivals.net/default.asp?sid=1175)

I must mention here that most of the links are probably not working there.

By the way, I have this site-address saved in my Favorites.

Tintin
May 22, 2004, 07:54 AM
This is just wonderful. Especially match reports from those times :)

rezwan
May 23, 2004, 12:15 PM
yeh tehsin ive been to www.iocc.com/~salient/ i remember you from back when i used to manage www.youngcricketers.com you had posted a message in the guestbook that the young cricketers club site..

Originally posted by tehsin
I got to the website quite by accident. I was surfing the net to find more info about bangladesh Kho Kho league and one search led to another and after sifting through hundreds of pop up, i saw something called tiger's board and the rest is history ..... okay, I keed.

I was getting tired, bored and frustrated and just following cricinfo text (if we were lucky enough) coverage or delayed scores wasn't cutting it for me. I knew there were others out there, just like me (or crazier). When I moved to teststatus.com (anyone been to www.iocc.com/~salient/ ?), I was happy to get the free message board with it. Fahmida (fwullah) was first to join. It grew slowly (very very slowly) and it was really dissapointing for a while as I would go to various chat places (irc and later paltalk and even face to face) to find other fans like me but unfortunately there wasn't much luck there.

Any case, am excited to be part of all this and can only imagine how far we can go from here.

Piranha
May 24, 2004, 07:32 PM
Ahh..the good old testatus.com days...those are nice fond memories. Sham told me about teststatus.com. I joined a few weeks after I heard about it, and then moved over here.

Nasif
May 25, 2004, 01:26 PM
The "Bhaanu" discussion in this thread was split into a seperate thread. Its available in forget cricket forum.

http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/viewthread.php?tid=5689