PDA

View Full Version : The Great Fast Bowler Hunt

paco
May 20, 2004, 03:21 PM
I pledge $100 to any Bangladeshi bowler (who's not in the national pool already) who can bowl a legal over at avg 90mph +

paco
May 20, 2004, 04:26 PM
Anyone else ? Can we set up a competition like BCB did ?

Rubu
May 20, 2004, 04:36 PM
it might work, but u've to send this message to the unknown corners of bangladesh. posting a message to a board where 80% members are from outside bangladesh, its almost useless. i guess, i should mention that, it is a problem even for bcd to search the whole country.

paco
May 20, 2004, 04:43 PM
I realize that - I wasn't expecting chinaman or oracle or fwullah or habibul_fan (he'd be disqualified anyways) to jump in and try to win this money anyways ..

But if we can get enough people to pitch in to the pot, and get a co-sponsor (say BangladesherKhela) and work with BCB to organize something, we may have chance, right ?

Zunaid
May 20, 2004, 06:32 PM
Count me in ...

You know if we get enough of a pool - we can get some newspaper to co-sponsor with BanglaCricket.

A thousand bucks is 55000+ taka - enough to get noticed.

Of course, BC needs some contributions too.

chinaman
May 20, 2004, 06:48 PM
Nice ideas! We need to be known first. Let's have a firm foot first in terms of quality articles; scoring and updates from the matches not otherwise covered; regular columns and contacts with national players and coaches; ensuring our server costs etc.

Then we can start on field projects like the one you already mentioned and / or say, $100 for a test ton or 5 wicket haul etc. The key word here is foundation. With a strong foundation we can make things to happen.

Zephaniah
May 21, 2004, 12:15 AM
1. Mashrafee Mortaza (age 20.5 yr)
2. Talha Zubair (age 18.5 yr)
3. Tapash Bashya (age 22.5 yr)
4. Mohammad Sharif (age 18.5 yr)
5. Shahadat hussain (age almost 18 yr)
6. Shafaq al Zabir (age almost 18 yr)

And also Tareq Aziz (age 20.5 yr)

Would be great if we find a 'great' fast bowler. But i categorically disagree that only raw pace (90+) would make a great fast bowler. We also need to have a good look at our pitches. Pitches ought to be improving all the time. There are climatic differences around the world that contribute to the way pitches are. But greater use of technology and the sharing of ideas ( i.e help) internationally will lead to better pitches with more `carry', which is what has the fast bowler drooling.

We've got good bunch of Fast/Fast-medium bowlers with potential. All of them are very young to work on their pace. Then again only potential is nothing. Good work ethics with rigid training schedule is essential to make them stronger, faster and fitter. For example Harmison's well-documented training sessions at Newcastle United have clearly been a factor in his success. I think what we should be hoping is a McGrath or Ambrose type of bowler whose unfailing control can take pressure off the other bowlers and put pressure on batsmen.

I read about Einstein: he tried things over and over again.

Zephaniah
May 21, 2004, 12:20 AM
Can we use this thread to discuss fast bowling instead of posting random thoughts about fast bowling here and there? It would help posters and readers alike.

betaar
May 21, 2004, 05:01 PM
it's a good initiative, however I wish we had a cricket coaching schools or federations in BD which would focus mainly on fast bowling. It's been my dream to open up my own and be a trainer as I am a fast bowler myself and still participating in cricket here in USA. But lately I have found it hard to stay fit though I'm only in my mid-late 20s. I only wished that I had good fitness training from school level in BD which is the foundation of a good fast bowler in addition to his natural ability..

So my point is, we need to train are youngsters from the very early age and preach the necessity of basic fitness through cricket school and groom them for international level. I know Banglacricket hasn't established it self yet to be a big sponsor like others in BD, but at least we can start working for it by promoting the idea.