PDA

View Full Version : Trip Advisor-BC Version

Jadukor
December 29, 2017, 08:36 PM
Travel Tips on cities, countries and recommendations. Your favorite destinations so far and where you would like to go in 2018 and beyond. BCers can help each other here.

Rifat
December 29, 2017, 11:27 PM
I can only offer advice on a select few of the US cities and maybe Toronto, Montreal, Canada. is that sufficient?

My favorite place to visit is Boston, Massachusetts. That place has a very historic vibe. It has just about everything New york city has to offer. and yet it is not as crowed as New york city. From my personal Experience in general, the people of Boston are absolutely amazing. (Random people in the streets actually greet you with very cheery vibes). New York is a bit too crowded for me. Driving through new york city feels like hell sometimes. In new york I have always gotten this vibe "Get out of my face" type of vibe(Again, from my personal experience in general). maybe cause you see too many people and life is extremely fast paced and people always on the go. in Boston, I felt that it is a lot more laid back. The buildings in downtown Boston offer a very nice mix of antiquity and modernity, which is great to see. In terms of food, It's got very very solid spots. If you are in Boston, be sure to check out the street performers and Quincy Market. I can assure you would not be disappointed. You can also get a good tour of some of the world's famous universities like Harvard, MIT and many more. Catch a baseball game at Fenway Park if you are able. Overall, The city has got pretty much a little bit of everything.

My second favorite place to visit and live is Denver, Colorado. The mile high city is an absolute stunner in terms of both architectural and natural beauty. again, not super crowded but has just enough people and things happening in the city to make it very vibrant and lovely. Colorado, the state in general has some of the best sights to see in the world IMHO if you are into natural beauty thing. Some of the World famous Skiing and Snowboarding resorts also reside in Colorado, if you are into that thing(my American roommate broke his ankle while skiing though, back in 2013).

Toronto, I got similar vibes like Boston. For me personally, as you can see, Visiting and traveling to new cities and places, It's usually the People and culture there that is the deal breaker.

Jadukor
December 30, 2017, 12:12 AM
Wonderful insights Rifat. I wanna visit the US again before my visa expires. NY is first on the list but perhaps i should add Boston too. I do have a friend who lives there and also several more in Toronto.

Zeeshan
December 30, 2017, 12:18 AM
LOL! I bet Rifat likes Denver Colorado. :p

Night_wolf
December 30, 2017, 12:30 AM
I recently went to Bangkok for my father's heart treatment. I was really busy with him so did not get much time for site seeing. I just got one day free time and I thought lets go to pataya. this was the place near Bangkok which I heard the most.

After reaching pataya I was really disappointed, I mean to me coxsbazar looked 200 times more beautiful than this.

after returning home I told my friend man pataya sucked. I dont know why people talk about it. and he replied why did you go to pataya for site seeing? people dont go to pataya for beautiful nature!..and I was like OHH!

Jadukor
December 30, 2017, 12:48 AM
Bangladeshi people always seem to go to Pattaya and when the are in Bangkok, tend to stay around Nana. These two places are the known prostitution zones in the country and i cant understand why people do not chose other beautiful areas to visit. Down south there is Koh Samui, Krabi,Phuket, Phi Phi and Hua Hin with 100s of 5 star resorts and beautiful beaches. Pattaya should be the last option if you are not living here. I know the resorts and the private beaches in pattaya which are just as beautiful but not on the central beach road where most people tend to go. In bangkok the nice areas are Thonglor, Chidlom, Ploenchit,Phrompong or Siam. People need to avoid staying around Nana and Asokh to get the real experience for the city. All the wonderful restaurants are in these areas.

Night_wolf
December 30, 2017, 12:52 AM
^Phuket was to far away as I did not have much free time. Pattaya and Phuket are the only two places I knew about bangkok lol. Next time if I go for tourism I will try to visit the places you mentioned

Jadukor
December 30, 2017, 12:59 AM
I will post a detailed review of places i have been in Thailand later.

DinRaat.
December 30, 2017, 04:46 AM
I recently went to Bangkok for my father's heart treatment. I was really busy with him so did not get much time for site seeing. I just got one day free time and I thought lets go to pataya. this was the place near Bangkok which I heard the most.

After reaching pataya I was really disappointed, I mean to me coxsbazar looked 200 times more beautiful than this.

after returning home I told my friend man pataya sucked. I dont know why people talk about it. and he replied why did you go to pataya for site seeing? people dont go to pataya for beautiful nature!..and I was like OHH!

Hope your father is okay now.

Roy_1
December 30, 2017, 05:00 AM

Yes exactly, I hope uncleji is keeping well, @NW

Wonderful post Rifat BTW.

aklemalp
December 30, 2017, 07:56 AM
Come to Staten Island. The Forgotten borough.

We have parks and parks and parks. ....the highest point on the eastern seaboard, Wagner College sitting on top the hill, where amazing views of the New York Harbor and the Lower Manhattan area...

We have Sri Lankan restaurants, Little Sri Lanka, the best Pizza in the world.

Tigers_eye
December 30, 2017, 12:40 PM
Inshallah flying 5th January to Orlando. My wife's cousin's wedding and then Disney world.

Tigers_eye
December 30, 2017, 12:43 PM
There are few places in Arkansas that is worthwhile. 1. Hotsprings. 2. White water rafting. 3. Flyfishing. 4. Diamond mining (free, if you can find, people do find) (Murfreesboro)

Zeeshan
December 30, 2017, 12:58 PM
The other day I was at LA. My mom is in the committee of Mohila Awami League ..lol

So after I had my biryani fix at Swadesh, I kicked back in my car in the parking lot. Kinda got bored. Then decided to take matters at my own hands. I entered Club DV8 in my GPS. It mentioned Hollywood and Highland.

So I went there. The club was closed. There was another new club but opens at 10 or 11. So I walked around the place. Not my first time. Basically this is where the Hollywood Walk of Stars is.

Now I been there a lot and there really is nothing to do. Then found three black dudes smokin pot in front of everyone on the street playing drums. Paid them 5-10 bucks to hook me up with a toke. After I got high that's when shtf.

First paid a dollar to have my fortune told. It was "Zoltar Speaks (https://oddyssea.com/2012/07/24/zoltar-speaks/)" ..lol

http://oddyssea.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/zoltar-speaks.jpg

Then saw Ripley's Believe it or not musuem after I walked past Chinese Theater. Chinese Theater looked nice but closed.

Now I am a stingy person...lol don't like spending money like most Bengalis. But out of whim (or pot?) I decided since it may be a while I return there, might as well check it out. So I bought a ticket for Ripley' Believe it or not + Guiness world record Musuem + Wax musuem.

https://s3-media1.fl.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/K04snAoEoJA8974d97xsKA/348s.jpg

http://static1.businessinsider.com/image/5329a32b6bb3f7fd1dbe2963-1200-924/minas-tirith-matchsticks-4.jpg

I must say it was worth it. Worth the admission. Plus I was kinda high so I was blown away as if I am on a ride or something... Loved it. Momma called.... told her I was at Target. .lol ... then went back and picked her up and she even had two more biryani packets.

http://www.arthurtaussig.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Ripley’s-Believe-It-or-Not-Buena-Park-CA-Nov-2005-06.jpg

This is from Buena Park, but you get the idea sh--ts that gets me on.

Zeeshan
December 30, 2017, 01:00 PM
By the way, what is trip advisor? lol......

Night_wolf
December 30, 2017, 11:07 PM
Yes exactly, I hope uncleji is keeping well, @NW

Wonderful post Rifat BTW.

he is ok now, thank you.

one of his artery was blocked so needed to put a ring in it

Night_wolf
December 30, 2017, 11:09 PM
http://www.arthurtaussig.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Ripley’s-Believe-It-or-Not-Buena-Park-CA-Nov-2005-06.jpg

This is from Buena Park, but you get the idea sh--ts that gets me on.

interesting..do you know if this is a skull of a cannibal or of a guy/girl who was cannibalized?

aklemalp
December 30, 2017, 11:12 PM
interesting..do you know if this is a skull of a cannibal or of a guy/girl who was cannibalized?

I believe the Headhunters were the ones who usually would be clad in that attire (at least that is how I saw them being depicted in books).

aklemalp
December 30, 2017, 11:19 PM
Looking for pictures, I found this:

https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MzMxWDUwMA==/z/910AAOSwBppZitru/$_57.JPG

Zeeshan
December 30, 2017, 11:22 PM
Yeah not messing with those guys.... ^^ lol

Yeah NW, that skull is a real life trophy. I think that's where our phrase "take the scalp" comes from esp. from Native Americans who'd chop of hairbun.

the scalp with the hair belonging to it cut or torn away from an enemy's head as a battle trophy, especially by an American Indian.

https://www.google.com/search?q=scalp+etomyoloy&oq=scalp+etomyoloy&aqs=chrome..69i57.7039j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Zeeshan
December 30, 2017, 11:24 PM
Looking for pictures, I found this:

https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MzMxWDUwMA==/z/910AAOSwBppZitru/$_57.JPG

They are Huli Wigmen if I am not mistaken.

The one in the picture is that of Asmat.

All badasses by the way..

Apologies to Jadukor if I am derailing it. But hey! It's Papua New Guinea Trip Advisor edition. :p

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wv3VCLMSOg0" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allow="encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

aklemalp
December 30, 2017, 11:36 PM
^^ I don't really know. I pulled it off the google images

Jadukor
December 31, 2017, 03:48 AM
Can you people spare this thread from becoming an off topic post festival? Please?

aklemalp
December 31, 2017, 09:11 AM
^^ noted.
But, if Zeeshan had not brought up the Headhunters, I wouldn't have gotten interested and started Googling Papua New Guinea headhunters...

I would love to go there some day.

But, all of this is off topic to the thread.

Tausif
December 31, 2017, 10:06 PM
Inshallah flying 5th January to Orlando. My wife's cousin's wedding and then Disney world.

Have fun! Orlando and Disney World tends to be crowded around this time with lots of tourists but you and your family will be able to enjoy nevertheless! If you are in the west side of Florida during your stay then let me know, would love to meet you!

Tigers_eye
January 13, 2018, 10:03 AM
Have fun! Orlando and Disney World tends to be crowded around this time with lots of tourists but you and your family will be able to enjoy nevertheless! If you are in the west side of Florida during your stay then let me know, would love to meet you!
Thanks for the invite but couldn't have made time at all.

So, we reach Orlando Friday evening Jan 5: 7pm attended holud. Ends around 11:30pm. Then went to see the extended family (they rented a 7 bedroom house, all staying together). We went to our hotel around 2am.

Saturday, went back to their house to have some more goppo shoppo, kids playing with cousins etc....then at night went to the wedding.

Sunday to Thursday 5 day Disney World. Friday Morning came back to the cold in Arkansas.
+++

Tips for Disney world:
1) Timing is everything. If you are visiting from out of state, make sure Florida schools are open :) . Spring break, Holiday times are too crowded. Avoid weekends. The traffic is crazy with all the new highway constructions and lane expansions.

The bigger the crowd, the longer the wait time in lines. :(

2) We had to deal with Argentina-Brazil tourists (summer there) during this time. Felt like we were visiting a South American country theme park.

3) Weather was great in FL. Got lucky with no rain. 70s high with mild breeze. It was freezing rain, cold in teens at Ark. :)

4) Get the Disney APP. It is a must. Gives you updated wait time on rides, shows. Allows you to get fastpasses. You can plan your way ahead of time.

5) New rides: (Animal Kingdom) Avatar, 3 hours wait time. No fast pass available a week advance. So if you want to ride it (worth it) plan to go early in the morning and stand in line.

Mine Train (Mini roller coaster): (Magic Kingdom) 90 plus minutes stand in and no fast pass available. Try during parades and shows.

Frozen, Sorin, Dinesour: Extremely difficult to get a fastpass. We got lucky again.

The key is to purchase the Disney tickets early and get those fastpasses. You can plan your fastpass 60 days early through the app.
+++
This was our second trip to Disney World FL. I think we did ride all of them that we wanted to. :) Had a great time with the kids.

Tigers_eye
January 13, 2018, 10:06 AM
The food is extremely expensive inside the parks. 1st three days we ate there. Then we packed McDonalds. :)

Just to tell you guys, them Mickey icecream bars, you can't get it anywhere else. :)

Tigers_eye
January 13, 2018, 10:11 AM
Halal stores all around Orlando. Over 5k BDis. Lots of Deshi/middle eastern markets and restaurants.

Shingara
January 19, 2018, 09:27 AM
Americay thaika khali America ghurtey ichcha korey. Eida kisu hoilo ?

I went to Istanbul, Turkey this month.
Lovely country, lovely people and great cheap food.This is the 2nd time I have been there and I explored a bit more and I have been pleased just like my first trip. Lots to see as well. I didn't go to any tourist restaurants where the price is double for no reason.I went to restaurants where the locals eat. These didn't have fancy decorations. But, was clean and Food was well tasty and I didn't get any food poisoning.
Just to give you an idea of the food price ... A soup, kebap wrap, chicken casserole, rice and a bottle of mineral water cost only £9!
One dish you must try is Testi kebap ( available in chicken or lamb )

https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/0f/d0/d5/5e/testi-kebap.jpg

http://www.aksarayhaberci.com/resimler/2015-5/5/1816078282999.jpg

Tigers_eye
January 19, 2018, 09:50 AM
Americay thaika khali America ghurtey ichcha korey. Eida kisu hoilo ?:floor: Where is England? I can't see it in the map. :lol:

Fazal
January 19, 2018, 10:52 AM
There are few places in Arkansas that is worthwhile. 1. Hotsprings. 2. White water rafting. 3. Flyfishing. 4. Diamond mining (free, if you can find, people do find) (Murfreesboro)

5. Arkansas Snakes

http://2x6h6cot6ofzpzvk1n3w1pku.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/water-moccesin1.jpg

Fazal
January 19, 2018, 10:56 AM
Americay thaika khali America ghurtey ichcha korey. Eida kisu hoilo ?

I went to Istanbul, Turkey this month.

I didn't go to any tourist restaurants where the price is double for no reason.I went to restaurants where the locals eat.

True. I went twice, and I had the same experience. Once I stayed in a hotel in residential neighborhood near airport and once I stayed near Blue Mosque (a tourist spot).

bujhee kom
January 19, 2018, 11:10 AM
5. Arkansas Snakes

http://2x6h6cot6ofzpzvk1n3w1pku.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/water-moccesin1.jpg

That is a southern cottonmouth aka water moccasins - venomous! AKA black moccasin, gaper, mangrove rattler, snap jaw, stub-tail snake, swamp lion, trap jaw, water mamba and water pilot...

Cottonmouth venom is composed mainly of hemotoxins (our blood or it's food/prey's) that break down blood cells, preventing the blood from clotting or coagulating...very deadly..you can die form this venom...it is not a neuro toxin. The babies/juvis look different than the adults...juveniles have large bands and the older they get and they loose the band marking on the scale. They are land and water, amphibious and of Pit viper class

Look at your photo...the moth open...and it looks like his/her mouth is foaming, like a cloudy cotton ball.

Very fascinating creature.

adamnsu
January 19, 2018, 11:44 AM
The best place in the UK to visit is Cornwall. Its got amazing coast line and beaches. Its also got the Minac theatre which is open air and the back drop is the ocean. Also St Michael's Mount which is a small castle built on a small island. You can walk there at low tide which takes 10 minutes.

I havent visited many European Cities but here are my recommendations:
London is my favourite: Has something for everyone and all located close to each other. Halal food and you will be spoilt for choice of cuisine. Very wheel chair accessible friendly.
For family fun Paris: The Louvere, Eiffel Tower and Disneyland
Budget: Barcelona. Great Vibe. Lots of intricate art and architecture around the city. Its the least expensive metro city to visit.
Scenic: Nothing beats Switzerland. Friendliest and most welcoming people.

Egypt is amazing if you are interested in their History. But apart from that, its the same type of resorts you will get on the African Med coast. Cheaper to go to Morocco or even Turkey.

Roy_1
January 19, 2018, 11:50 AM
5. Arkansas Snakes

Baap re baap ki damra saanp :lol:

Eisob post korben na dada, bhoy lage, I am cool around spiders but snakes :ohno:

Shingara
January 19, 2018, 03:34 PM
:floor: Where is England? I can't see it in the map. :lol:

Bhai, beshi kotha koiben na. Ar nailey abar amra USA dokhol korum ;)

Zeeshan
February 10, 2018, 05:38 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/P6UI7ugEM-Y" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>