PDA

View Full Version : One of the best knocks I have ever seen in my life... And why this self hating needs to stop...

tanvir_nus
March 16, 2018, 10:36 PM
I am on some sort of hiatus from this forum, but I could not resist myself from posting this after the current trend of self hating deprecating humor and comments poised at fans and players here, cricinfo, facebook and other forums. I remember writing an article not so long about the victory against New Zealand in Champions Trophy here that was almost spontaneous and not thought so much about what I was going to write but the fact that I had to write something, I think it started from the Bengaluru day where it still haunts us, but at that time I remember posting here as well that I am thankful that this happened and we saw this day, because it is going to teach us a lot of things about holding nerves. Well guess what, the two culprits Mahmudullah and Mushfique from the Bengaluru night has won us two games in a row, one kept cool and took singles and didn't celebrate or repeat his mistake and the other held nerves of steel and got us over the line with a magnificent stroke.

Here is a link and quote from the article:
http://banglacricket.com/html/features/article.php?item=623

Every moment of this partnership screamed to the world we have the skills and the tenacity to play cricket at the top level. We are going to hear a lot about this partnership from different sources but one thing should resonate from every quarters that this was the partnership and the match that is going to take Bangladesh’s development in world cricket years ahead. Shakib and Mahmudullah did not just win a single match in an ICC tournament. They left a blueprint for success in the future. Anytime we are about to be done and dusted, they will teach us it is not over till it is over; do not ever give up. We need to do everything to remember this match, this is the match that will lift many more in the years to come and I can say that with 100% confidence. We had lost the close match against India in the T20 World Cup. This is a redemption from our choke. This is one of the best chases and one of the best comebacks I have ever seen. It was almost like a scripted movie, this stuff doesn’t happen in normal lives. That’s why I said I am speechless. I could not think more than the fact that this looks like a movie and guess what that’s exactly the expression I saw in Kane Williamson and every Kiwi face yesterday as well. They could not believe their own eyes.

This is the match that gave us the belief that we can come back from any situation. That no matter what the odds are against us, we can prevail. We will not choke from a situation. And when I said we need to remember everything about that match, as it was a blueprint for success in the future, I meant every word.

Now, coming back to the match and the series and Bangladeshi cricket in general, I have a few things to say. I see a trend among Bangladeshi fans, I feel it is because being confident in Bangladeshi culture is seen as arrogance and arrogance leads to downfall, there is a general trend among Bangladeshi fans to first blame their own players, their own fans, their own systems. It maybe because we are unhappy about the general status of the country, from political to state of the cricket fields. But the years of frustrations that we have grown to develop from other sectors of life gets thrown in cricket, comparisons between what life has taught are drawn to the battles that are happening between ball and the bat and the self hating that boils down from that is quite sickening to me. We don't wait to raise fingers at our own players or fans, no matter what the other side does, we are always quick to raise a finger at our own. Why this behaviour? So that we can rise above others? Or is it to say that we are not equal? We haven't won anything so why be confident of our abilities, why be confident now and say something to protest only to hear back vitriol that suggest we are not good enough, are we avoiding confrontations?

Or is this part of our growing up? Whenever we play an important match, or we score an important victory guess what, you can be sure that there is a group of fans somewhere in the world that are downgrading our victories so that we cannot enjoy it fully. If the same celebrations were done by Windies, if the same parodies of the celebrations were done by Sri Lankans, if the same molestations that happened to Sudhir happened to our fans, if the same leaving the field antics were done by Sri Lanka and numerous other antics were done by other countries or fans no where have I seen the same response. I truly ask you, please help me answer this question. Why are we so self hating? Is it because we think we do not deserve this praise? Are we so afraid of putting ourselves before others?

This must stop in my opinion. If we are going to win in the cricket field and become a major cricketing nation. We must answer fire with fire, a look with a look. If there are injustices served on a cricket field, if they are sleding my players I do not want our players to take a step back. Atleast that is the way I want to play cricket. I do not want our players to start the fight, but never back away from one.

Anyways, there is another trend that is on show whenever we play another nation. In the Asia cup final, a picture of Dhoni emerged from the media, in the Champions Trophy it was an online picture that drew flake from Star Sports commentators. You can be sure that there is already a lot of digging in espncricinfo and other areas, that somebody is going to post something before another final to divert our attentions. I am again sickened by the state of where just cricket is getting at. Online posts made by anonymous posters gaining this much attention is never good. But you can be sure we will hear about this. But be rest assured it is going to be one sided.

The main thing I want to talk about is let's concentrate on winning this final for now and let's focus on removing this defeatist mentality at the same time. We have to remember that the same blueprint we talk about, the blueprint of not ever giving up on the cricket field must be the mantra on this final. Because we have lost many finals in the recent past. 2012 Asia Cup, 2016 Asia Cup, the recent loss against SL in the tri series and the list goes on. But each loss has taught us something, and we come to a full circle and the nature always promises a balance in equation. That's what the Bengaluru night taught me, when we lost that night I said to myself this night and the feeling of despair is going to give us many days ecstasy for the nature has to balance the equation. If we win the final it is going to be another balance check in the many final losses, if not our net positive balance just keeps growing heavier and we wait for the day the balance is restored.

Hoping we finally win this final, you can be rest assured that I will be watching at 4 AM like the CT match sacrificing my sleep and hoping this is the day we finally write the blueprint of another success, winning in Finals.

Jadukor
March 16, 2018, 10:42 PM
Good to see you back Tanvir

captain_thinking_tank
March 16, 2018, 11:21 PM
Good read bubba, hope your wish comes true tomorrow.

ma_o_mati
March 17, 2018, 12:12 AM
Exactly. Very well said. If you can gloat in team’s victory cuz thats the feeling nothing else can give you then dont be selfish. Endure the pain that comes along with being a fan. Dont be a seasonal fly on the wall, only come to annoy in bad times. If bd goes wild with celebrations then be it, may be thats our way of expressing. Why we must follow everything the countries do. We can also add our own flair to the game. If you wanna fully professional team, then follow australia or south africa. Sub continent ppl has always been emotional, there r weakness to that but thats also part of our strength.

G-man
March 17, 2018, 01:16 AM
Whatever is being alluded to here- expressing one self, celebrating, playing tough, self respect etc...this all can be achieved without alienating the masses, uncontrollable emotions, violent scenes and so on.

It's possible to be passionate without being rude, emotional without being irrational...

Both teams are at fault here and putting it under the umbrealla of passion or whatever is not good enough.

G-man
March 17, 2018, 01:19 AM
Why is this about self hating? Why is it wrong that i expect my national team to carry themselves with pride, self respect, professionalism etc. Just because i don't encourage this behavior doesn't mean I'm self hating, if anuthing i expected better from my team. This ugly behaviour under the guise of passion is wrong.

adamnsu
March 17, 2018, 01:23 AM
This passion thing is more of a template shield to answer during the award ceremony and the following press conference.

MHRAM
March 17, 2018, 01:31 AM
The self hating arises because we took an umpiring howler too seriously. These things can happen and will happen, no reason to forfeit it.

If we did we would be a laughing stock.

Instead we continued with the match and won it! I am glad we continued with the match. And no its not because of inferiority complex. If some other team did what we did I would have criticized them too.

tanvir_nus
March 17, 2018, 07:22 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/5TgLbsXoBeg" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Boy do I agree with this guy... Points he brought out that no one here thought:
- Shakib played a master stroke like Dhoni by drawing attention to the umpiring errors,thereby slowing the game down, thereby giving Mahmudullah time to set a plan of attack.
- The need for cricketing rivalries, as that's what propels cricketing development of a nation forward
- The hunger to win that Shakib and Mahmudullah showed is what is expected of other players
- The way Shakib came down after match without shirt, and how he drew comparison to Ganguly and the state of Indian cricket after 15 years of that incident.
- And how he agreed 100% with Shakib and what message it sent to world cricket. That we are not here to take umpiring errors and BS lightly and just be forgotten, no we are here to fight for what's right and play fairly.

I thought this was an excellent interview.

simon
March 17, 2018, 08:04 AM
^yes , you are right, gotta appreciate Deb, excellent points that most of us have not noticed.

mufi_02
March 17, 2018, 09:57 AM
^^ wow this guy Deb is really good. Very knowledgeable and articulate. Liked the way he drew parallels from other such events in the past

guppy
March 17, 2018, 03:04 PM
This ugly behaviour under the guise of passion is wrong.

If passion is everything then even Mahmudullah is guilty of cowardice for restraining Nurul who was ready to fight with SL players (tbf they shoved him too). Would we rather they abandon the match and settle everything with their fists? That would be ultra-passionate.

laki
March 18, 2018, 04:02 AM
If passion is everything then even Mahmudullah is guilty of cowardice for restraining Nurul who was ready to fight with SL players (tbf they shoved him too). Would we rather they abandon the match and settle everything with their fists? That would be ultra-passionate.

Not really. A big dose of a helpful and effective medicine can be poison. Too much of a good thing.

Mahmudullah is a hero because he was calm and trying to diffuse tension. But we should not go after Nurul with a big stick. Nurul did not start it all by himself. Thisara was no angel of peace and brotherly love. Nurul should be treated with a slap on the wrist. In any case, these are matters of growing pains.

Yankees
March 18, 2018, 04:07 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/5TgLbsXoBeg" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Boy do I agree with this guy... Points he brought out that no one here thought:
- Shakib played a master stroke like Dhoni by drawing attention to the umpiring errors,thereby slowing the game down, thereby giving Mahmudullah time to set a plan of attack.
- The need for cricketing rivalries, as that's what propels cricketing development of a nation forward
- The hunger to win that Shakib and Mahmudullah showed is what is expected of other players
- The way Shakib came down after match without shirt, and how he drew comparison to Ganguly and the state of Indian cricket after 15 years of that incident.
- And how he agreed 100% with Shakib and what message it sent to world cricket. That we are not here to take umpiring errors and BS lightly and just be forgotten, no we are here to fight for what's right and play fairly.

I thought this was an excellent interview.

I'm a fan of Deb Chow. He's also the same guy that said Sabbir likes to hit, whether its a ball or a child lol.

adamnsu
March 18, 2018, 04:59 AM
Wasn’t Deb Chow the same guy doing a pitch report while testing the grass on the outskirts of the boundary?

Anyone notice in the video he called Sohan a swan

Also he did a pun: Mushfiqur did his Snake dance with some venom