PDA

View Full Version : The Question of Not Getting to Bat in 2nd innings

fwullah
May 24, 2004, 09:26 PM
am pissed at WI because they didn't show their island hospitality. We needed the battting practice.

I think from the thread of the 3-day practice match, there are many quotes like this one.

Quite frankly, I believe that the West Indians are consciously, or subconsciously know that if we have more practice, batting practice, to be more precise, we have a better chance of performing better in the tests.

So the WICBXI did not let us bat, and they had batted to pass the time, instead.

However, I could be wrong, and they may have taken the chance of batting in the 2nd innings - just to demoralize our bowlers - plus increase their own confidence a bit.

rafiq
May 25, 2004, 12:15 AM
Why wouldn't they give their own players batting practise since they have a test match to play in a couple of days as well? It's questions and discussion like this that hint at our underlying fundamental mental weakness.

fwullah
May 25, 2004, 12:20 AM
Valid point. I guess I lost my sense of logic after watching the hopeless batting performance.

3-Day Practice Match Scorecard of Cricinfo (http://usa.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2004/BDESH_IN_WI/SCORECARDS/BDESH_WI-BOARD-XI_22-24MAY2004.html)

BushidoTiger
May 25, 2004, 12:59 PM
It has nothing to do with their hospitality, which in my opinion, is abound (just read Cricinfo article about cocktail parties thrown around to honor/welcome BD players).

Rather, its a strategic move. I'm sure DW would've done the same.

Decision to bat again wasn't a fluke. It was done mainly to get them more batting practice against the very bowlers the team would face in couple of days.

The fringe benefit of the batting again is that they get to slaughter the BD bowlers barring TB w/ impunity.

Is it designed to demoralize the BD bowlers? You bet.
But instead of being demoralized and crawling into a hole, our bowlers should know that they are in the major league now - playing with the big boys and learn to pick themselves up, dust off and roll again.

Not unlike most fans here, I'm tired of hearing same old whining like the ones from Mahmud saying BD players were demoralized once they were beaten on the first test in which they were agonizingly close to winning. Apparently, it affected their performance for the remaining two.
Those kind of sorry a**, lame excuses make great headlines on often self-delusional BD sports pages, but serves very little to improve the situation.

Now, no one is dumb enough to expect them to start winning already..but at least put up a fight.
The batsmen should be fined their match fees if they continue to make the same stupid mistakes.

Just my 2 & half cents.

SS
May 25, 2004, 01:05 PM
I agree they should be fined
they have to stop this stupidity
Wi wanted to know our bowlers
thatz why they batted

pagol-chagol
May 25, 2004, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by rafiq
Why wouldn't they give their own players batting practise since they have a test match to play in a couple of days as well? It's questions and discussion like this that hint at our underlying fundamental mental weakness.

* WI players have been playing in that field their whole career. There is not much more that they can pick up about that pitch.

* WI batsmen were playing mostly against BD 2nd string bowlers. Only Taposh played in the 1 day games. Jr. may or may not be in the test.

* What kind of batting practice did WI get in the 2nd inning? Great batting practice for a one day series. Smith's lack of patience has cost him a regular place in WI test team. What has he picked up from this game. If anything, Bangadesh wants him to be over confidence and over aggressive in the test.

* Was WI in position to win this game. Absolutely. They decided to play a 25 over one day inning instead of going for the win.

* Result: Our batsmen who are strangers in their bouncy pitch didn't get a chance to bat in the 2nd innings. This problem is amplified because of our 1st innings debacle. All touring sides even the best ones visiting the weakest teams like to get the chance to learn about the pitch. I am sure DW wished we could bat a 2nd time.

West Indies knowingly deprived us of that opportunity although their gain was minimal.

Every BD fan has sufficient reasons to be upset about that.

I would really like to know the weakness in this argument.

pagol-chagol
May 25, 2004, 01:51 PM
BD bowling and fielding have been consistently good in the series. The battting was consistently bad.

Blaming it on "demoralized" does not add up. Its all batting.

BushidoTiger
May 25, 2004, 02:05 PM
posted on 25-5-2004 at 10:51 AM

BD bowling and fielding have been consistently good in the series. The battting was consistently bad.

Blaming it on "demoralized" does not add up. Its all batting.

-Agree completely. Its the batting..!! has been the batting for a painful while.

'Demoralization' issue was brought up to thwart the apologists, monday-morning-quater backing nimrods (read BD current/ex captain) who always seem to have plently of lame excuses for their failures.

pagol-chagol
May 25, 2004, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by BushidoTiger
posted on 25-5-2004 at 10:51 AM

who always seem to have plently of lame excuses for their failures.

I know. Reminds me of Akram Khan. Shujon talking with personal agenda and without any explanation or data behind it. Akram had my all time greatest BD Innings (66 against Holland) which catapulated BD eventually into the world cup. If he didn't come through BD would still be playing against teams like Nepal. Shujon has helped us get the few wins we got. But, good cricketers don't always make good analyst.

EngWIndian
May 25, 2004, 02:20 PM
Some of you take things too seriously !

this was a practise match, it was 3 days so winning was out of de question, (for the WICBXI anyway),

both teams wanted as much practise as possible, WI batted and Smith+bravo+joseph's hundred would have brought them more faith in themselves (which is priceless). BD bowlers started well but layed off on dissapline, they will learn from this. 'Also' Ashraful, who made 73 will feel much more comfatable against the likes of Lawson and Rampaul's pace, so he would now believe more in himself.

I hope you lot dont reckon that the WI wanted this match all for themselves, not taking notice of BD,

In my opinion the practise match went along nicely, except for the rain, it was a good match, and would have given the coaches (of both teams) more to think about.

EngWIndian
May 25, 2004, 02:21 PM
AND! these drop-catches is a complete joke, if we see these in the test match (from either team), they need shooting:mad:

pagol-chagol
May 25, 2004, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by EngWIndian
Some of you take things too seriously !

You're right mon. Gotto grow up.

EngWIndian
May 25, 2004, 02:35 PM
(BTW, i live in england, that why i got 'Eng' in front of my name)

You're right mon. Gotto grow up.

was that sarcastic? if yes, then i said it because of...e.g.

am pissed at WI because they didn't show their island hospitality.

anyway, GJ SMITHY !!! well played :):):)

V trumper
May 27, 2004, 12:39 PM
The Wi selectors used this match as a means to assess the players wrt to selection for the English tour.Dwayne Smith ,D bravo ,S joseph are all competing for one spot on the Test side .so the selectors wanted the opportunity to see them all in action

betaar
May 27, 2004, 01:03 PM
other then all the reasons you guys talked about WI decision on batting twice, I'd like to know,

Why would you make your bowlers work and have your full team on the ground taking the risks of injury knowing it's a drawn match?

and didn't you guys play cricket ever, everybody wants to bat, nobody wants to bowl or field.:duh:

Nasif
May 27, 2004, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by BETAAR
other then all the reasons you guys talked about WI decision on batting twice, I'd like to know,

Why would you make your bowlers work and have your full team on the ground taking the risks of injury knowing it's a drawn match?

and didn't you guys play cricket ever, everybody wants to bat, nobody wants to bowl or field.:duh:

We were the guest. Its a matter of hospitality :)

Zobair
May 27, 2004, 01:53 PM
Just shows how seriously are they taking us! Look at the team they have selected. No experimenting at all. A full frontal assault is what they have got planned....they are taking us eriously indeed... more than many of the West Indian fans, with their big egos, would care to admit :) Even with all this firepower I am hoping the Tigers will have a nasty surprise or two planned for the Calypsos :ninja:

betaar
May 27, 2004, 05:01 PM
We were the guest. Its a matter of hospitality :)

but hospitality isn't anyone's concern on the field, it matters mainly off the field. even Australia wouldn't do us a favor like that.

remember, Paki not letting us fly First Class but their own, now that's not hospitality.

chinanan
May 28, 2004, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by SS
I agree they should be fined
they have to stop this stupidity
Wi wanted to know our bowlers
thatz why they batted

i agree