PDA

View Full Version : Cricket Kenya disbanded by Government

anon4567
April 5, 2018, 09:24 PM
Kenyan cricket suffered yet another blow today with news that the beleaguered governing body of the sport in the country, Cricket Kenya, has been dissolved by the Ministry of Sports and Heritage.

http://m.cricbuzz.com/cricket-news/101472/government-set-to-dissolve-cricket-kenya

Kenya played the semi finals in 2003 CWC, and now this.. They were well and truly a competitive minnow of the 90s and early-2000s.

RIP
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR1IKcQU4wzcNv8Di0dDXq1OugPkLvv7 nhE4i5RmKTdShylufwgVw

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/0a/Cricket_kenya_new_logo.jpeg

Night_wolf
April 5, 2018, 10:42 PM
Should have been the 11th test playing country

Night_wolf
April 5, 2018, 11:06 PM
Italy was in the same WC qualifying group as spain and finished 2nd. as a result they had to play the play off to qualify, they lost the qualifier 1-0 overall and the 4 time world champions are out of this years WC. and Teams like Saudi, South Korea, Japan, Costa Rica, Senegal etc who just participate to make up numbers from around the world are playing this WC

Just think about how important Italy is to the WC and yet they are not playing because they failed to qualify from a tough group.

Imagine what ICC would have done with Italy, Kole bosay WC khelaite niye jaito

anon4567
April 6, 2018, 02:37 AM
Should have been the 11th test playing country

Yup, Kenya after 2003 and Ireland after 2007/8 should have been the 11th and 12th test playing nations. Cricket is the second most popular sport in Kenya too.

brockley
April 6, 2018, 02:57 AM
Is it Anon?

Kenya has had very much Indian support,and player roster of many Indians.
Less interest from the native Africans.
Also Namibia always beats them to the Under 19 world Cup.Their first world youth cup in 20 years,and only cause Namibia was confirmed for the last youth cup.

Rugby Union 7's is very popular in Kenya,and they maybe a chance for the 2019 world rugby cup in Japan.
Think cricket has been on the decline,plus based around many Indian players still.

What made the Kenya side good was a band of African brothers,some Indian expats,and a few other native Africans.But once that generation moved on Kenya was no longer effective.Colins Oboya is the last of that old gen and he is in his mid 30's,close to retiring.

Also running is of high sports interest.

anon4567
April 6, 2018, 03:49 AM
Is it Anon?

Kenya has had very much Indian support,and player roster of

I read it on Wikipedia, so it must be correct :D

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cricket_in_Kenya

adamnsu
April 6, 2018, 03:50 AM
How can any1 forget the name Deepak Chudasama

brockley
April 6, 2018, 03:53 AM
No worries Anon.:wave:

Night_wolf
April 6, 2018, 04:49 AM
Kenya had one golden generation of cricketers, odumbe, odoyo, suji brothers,otiano brothers, The great Steve tikolo. They had what Ireland currently have. Once the golden generation went kenya cricket went with them. I think Ireland was going to the same route as kenya and the test status have saved them.

I strongly believe if kenya was given test status at the right time they would have been at least as strong as Zim if not better now. we lost a cricket playing nation because of ICC.

Shubho
April 6, 2018, 07:09 AM
How can any1 forget the name Deepak Chudasama

Haha, awesome.

I also recall an Emirati player from the 1996 World Cup called Shaukat Dukanwala.

DinRaat.
April 6, 2018, 07:34 AM
Good riddance.

adamnsu
April 6, 2018, 10:26 AM
Haha, awesome.

I also recall an Emirati player from the 1996 World Cup called Shaukat Dukanwala.

They also had a guy who looked similar to Bangladesh's Akram Khan as a wicketkeeper when they played in that WC

mufi_02
April 6, 2018, 10:41 AM
They also had a guy who looked similar to Bangladesh's Akram Khan as a wicketkeeper when they played in that WC

saba kareem?

Yankees
April 6, 2018, 11:23 AM
No offence to Kenya, but if they had received test status, they would be below Zim.

Still, beggars cant be choosers. Cricket is so niche, that any interest is wort cultivating. ICC screwed up.

Tigers_eye
April 6, 2018, 11:46 AM
BD vs Kenya
Bd has/had the support of 12+ Millions compared to ...whatever.
Bd's most popular sport Football, Hadudu, drain class vs Kenya's Running, Football is World class or a step below.

So Bd getting test status was the gamble ICC made and was successful even without a huge cricketing history.

ICC was right not giving them the test status.

bujhee kom
April 6, 2018, 11:48 AM
Ohh Cricket Kenya disbanded...

I read quickly and understood Cricket Konya Disowned by some Government father!

I was like, ohh probably the kid didn't make the roster and hasshole dad disowned her. What a douche!

Yankees
April 6, 2018, 11:49 AM
BD vs Kenya
Bd has/had the support of 12+ Millions compared to ...whatever.
Bd's most popular sport Football, Hadudu, drain class vs Kenya's Running, Football is World class or a step below.

So Bd getting test status was the gamble ICC made and was successful even without a huge cricketing history.

ICC was right not giving them the test status.

It's not a matter of one or the other. They both could have gotten test status.

roman
April 6, 2018, 12:27 PM
Italy was in the same WC qualifying group as spain and finished 2nd. as a result they had to play the play off to qualify, they lost the qualifier 1-0 overall and the 4 time world champions are out of this years WC. and Teams like Saudi, South Korea, Japan, Costa Rica, Senegal etc who just participate to make up numbers from around the world are playing this WC

Just think about how important Italy is to the WC and yet they are not playing because they failed to qualify from a tough group.

Imagine what ICC would have done with Italy, Kole bosay WC khelaite niye jaito

ICC is a joke. This is the most pathetic and incompetent sports governing body out there. Cant really compare FIFA with ICC

adamnsu
April 6, 2018, 01:44 PM
saba kareem?

His name is Tariq Iqbal. Saba Karim was Indian

mufi_02
April 6, 2018, 02:22 PM
His name is Tariq Iqbal. Saba Karim was Indian

you are right..Kenya had an indian tall left arm spinner. used to trouble our batsmen. forgot his name.

RealSports
April 6, 2018, 03:05 PM
Bad luck! Kenya was such a promising cricketing nation. They could've been that 3rd major african cricketing side the sport needed. They had the potential to even be ahead of Zimbabwe. We made the mistake of not actually playing them enough. Instead of playing so many matches against Zimbabwe, playing Kenya would've been a lot better. They could've even made it to the final had they put in a better effort. Playing the finals is all about pressure. I blame the corrupt board known as ICC.

Tigers_eye
April 6, 2018, 04:30 PM
ICC is not a joke or as corrupt as we think. Member boards have influences that is all. Time to time it shifts on who controls the money flow. If it was any of the two, then we wouldn't get the test status just by beating a non-interested Pak team who had already wrapped up second round in the WC.

For crying out loud, Holland beat England in WC. Ireland was making fun of Pak. Beat WI, BD, and Zim.

Yes, Kenya was very strong team on 2003. However, they were lucky of boycott games. people could see less potential in the coming crops and other sport interests. ICC had learned that not all teams are like SL or Zim where cricket tradition was engraved. It took a while before we could stand up on our own. So they took the waited approach.

Yankees
April 6, 2018, 07:38 PM
FIFA is just as corrupt as ICC. Both are made up of guys who are incentivized to think short term (as in maximizing $$$$). The big difference is that the revenue drivers in football are the national leagues and its clubs. Whereas in ICC, it's country vs country, which means governing bodies like BCCI, CA, ECB are the money makers, and influencers.

Think of it another way, we all know what BCCI, CA stands for. Can any of you, without looking, tell me the governing body for Brazil football? Or the governing body for German football?

anon4567
April 6, 2018, 11:01 PM
Think of it another way, we all know what BCCI, CA stands for. Can any of you, without looking, tell me the governing body for Brazil football? Or the governing body for German football?

Brazil? I could, but I really CBF :D
mnemonics aside, great point.

Antora
April 6, 2018, 11:04 PM
This is so heartbreaking. Steve Tikolo was such a great batsman who sadly, never got to play test cricket :(

Nocturnal
April 6, 2018, 11:10 PM
you are right..Kenya had an indian tall left arm spinner. used to trouble our batsmen. forgot his name.

Aasif Karim?
AK was captain for few years too ..

godzilla
April 7, 2018, 03:37 AM
Good riddance.

not sure if you're trolling or not. In no way this is a good for cricket in general.

DinRaat.
April 7, 2018, 05:51 AM
not sure if you're trolling or not. In no way this is a good for cricket in general.

The latter, I am trolling.

Shehwar
April 8, 2018, 03:40 AM
So this means they will not play cricket anymore? Lose ICC associate status?

brockley
April 8, 2018, 04:04 AM
They will play cricket.
But are in division 2.
Of course the ICC will have 2 certify the new board.

horizon
April 9, 2018, 02:37 AM
Kenya mistake won't be repeated anymore I guess. If a team had those good players they would have snapped up by the T20 leagues worldwide by now. ICC will have far less role to play in cricket moving forward.

Roni_uk
April 9, 2018, 07:54 AM
All someone will have to do is come up with KPL - get the local businesses to sponsor it and their cricket business will be booming again. Any takers here? Here's your chance to be a millionaire.