PDA

View Full Version : Get to Know Bangladesh: Ask away

adamnsu
May 2, 2018, 03:12 AM
Hi and Salam all.

I know we have some foreign members here and ethnic Bangladeshis brought up abroad who might be curious to know more about the country.

I was looking at a compilation made by this young British traveller who stayed 2 months in Bangladesh and how he tried to promote to others about Bangladesh and its culture on his youtube channel. This kind of inspired me to open this thread.

If you have any questions in mind (non controversial please :D) about the country or its culture I will try my best to answer.

DinRaat.
May 2, 2018, 07:48 AM
Do you think Bangladesh is in safe hands, when the next generation(us as in those born from 1990-2000) take over.

mufi_02
May 2, 2018, 08:58 AM
who came up with the name "Bangladesh" and when was it formally adopted? was it before or during the war?

and would you have preferred a simpler name? I for one would. Something like "Bengal" or just "Bangla" or even "Padja/Meghna/Jamuna". Our name is too difficult for others to pronounce. Except maybe Indians no one can say it correctly.

uttor chai.

Tigers_eye
May 2, 2018, 09:23 AM
who came up with the name "Bangladesh" and when was it formally adopted? was it before or during the war?

and would you have preferred a simpler name? I for one would. Something like "Bengal" or just "Bangla" or even "Padja/Meghna/Jamuna". Our name is too difficult for others to pronounce. Except maybe Indians no one can say it correctly.

uttor chai.Did you know: The Chinese say, "Banjala"?

The British had hard time pronouncing Gongga, Podda. They renamed it Ganges, Padhma. You think Bangladesh is difficult to pronounce? :)

Tigers_eye
May 2, 2018, 09:24 AM
Do you think Bangladesh is in safe hands, when the next generation(us as in those born from 1990-2000) take over.No. I don't think so.

The fruit doesn't fall far from the tree.

mufi_02
May 2, 2018, 09:27 AM
Did you know: The Chinese say, "Banjala"?

The British had hard time pronouncing Gongga, Podda. They renamed it Ganges, Padhma. You think Bangladesh is difficult to pronounce? :)

you haven't answered my ques. who came up with the name "Bangladesh" and when was it formally adopted? I had this question for a long time and never found a reliable answer.

adamnsu
May 2, 2018, 10:11 AM

uttor chai.

Here is my take
Bangladesh as you obviously know literally means the country of Bengal. The use of this predates even the India/Pak partition but then it would include the areas of West Bengal as well.

The name was formally adopted on 11 January 1972.

I kind of like this name and its sophistication lies within its simplicity for me. I think alot of Europeans pronounce Bangladesh quite well. If you are talking about pronunciation, many US people call Iraq ...Eyerak. :D

adamnsu
May 2, 2018, 10:13 AM
Guys my intentions are to promote the country. Not to give political opinions or make fun of it. I would much appreciate if you can keep it clean. :up::flag:

aklemalp
May 2, 2018, 10:23 AM
Is Bangladesh's version of Hathumalawa better than Sri Lanka's?

adamnsu
May 2, 2018, 11:08 AM

Bangladesh doesnt make this dish to my knowledge.

One of the most popular Veggie stew type dishes is known as Pach Mishali: which means 5 mixed. It is usually a combo of 5 veggies and found in most local restaurant through out the country.

At many local restaurants when you are half done with a curry, a attentive waiter will normally take it away and top it up slightly without you even asking on many occasions.

R0ssei
May 2, 2018, 12:50 PM
^
It's also known as "Labra", at least to Bikrompuris.

aklemalp
May 2, 2018, 12:53 PM
Bangladesh doesnt make this dish to my knowledge.

One of the most popular Veggie stew type dishes is known as Pach Mishali: which means 5 mixed. It is usually a combo of 5 veggies and found in most local restaurant through out the country.

At many local restaurants when you are half done with a curry, a attentive waiter will normally take it away and top it up slightly without you even asking on many occasions.

Oh thank you. Someone mentioned that the two dishes are related in one of the match threads earlier this year.

Also, thank you for opening this thread. Very good initiative. :)

adamnsu
May 2, 2018, 02:18 PM
Oh thank you. Someone mentioned that the two dishes are related in one of the match threads earlier this year.

Also, thank you for opening this thread. Very good initiative. :)

You should visit Bangladesh one day. I am sure many from here will want to host you as a guest.

Yankees
May 2, 2018, 02:55 PM

lol what is your obsession with hathumawala?

Yankees
May 2, 2018, 02:58 PM
Guys my intentions are to promote the country. Not to give political opinions or make fun of it. I would much appreciate if you can keep it clean. :up::flag:

I say take the good with the bad. This isn't the BD tourism board that we should just promote the good. BD has many issues that foreigners/2nd gen bdeshis want to know about.

aklemalp
May 2, 2018, 02:59 PM
lol what is your obsession with hathumawala?

A curiosity rather than an obsession.

Yankees
May 2, 2018, 03:21 PM
you haven't answered my ques. who came up with the name "Bangladesh" and when was it formally adopted? I had this question for a long time and never found a reliable answer.

Bangladesh was in use long before partition to mean all of Bongo/Bongobhumi. It's "bengal" that's the foreign word, derived by the British.

If you want to know who came up with the name, you'd have to look at the period long before the british empire.

Besides, declaring a land after its people was the prevailing method throughout history. Hence:

ireland, england, switzerland, scotland, finland, netherland, thailand

then you have the stans: kazakh, afghan, turkmeni, uzbek

If you want to standardized the name with the rest of the world, it would be BanglaLand, which is unfitting for a country created because of its language.

But funny enough, the King of Swaziland just declared yesterday that he will change the country's name to eswatini. and all that means is Swazi land in their language.

So in the moment of time when other countries are slowing shredding their English names, Bangladesh was already ahead of the pack.

adamnsu
May 2, 2018, 03:25 PM
I say take the good with the bad. This isn't the BD tourism board that we should just promote the good. BD has many issues that foreigners/2nd gen bdeshis want to know about.

I took an initiative to promote Bangladesh and made it clear. If you don’t want to promote you could either open a new thread or not contribute at all.

Tigers_eye
May 2, 2018, 04:18 PM

But funny enough, the King of Swaziland just declared yesterday that he will change the country's name to eswatini. and all that means is Swazi land in their language.

So in the moment of time when other countries are slowing shredding their English names, Bangladesh was already ahead of the pack.Burma > Myanmar

To a lessor degree, Dacca > Dhaka (Airport code is still DAC), Calcutta > Kolkata, Bombay > Mumbai.

Shingara
May 2, 2018, 04:20 PM
Bangladesh thekey kivabey desher mati bideshe export kortey parbo.

Ar, adam bhai, Jason Billam er youtube videos deikhen na. Ahammok kom poishay ki shob foula basha-bari ar restaurantey gesilo.

Tigers_eye
May 2, 2018, 04:23 PM
you haven't answered my ques. who came up with the name "Bangladesh" and when was it formally adopted? I had this question for a long time and never found a reliable answer.Janley tho bolbo. Ami atho buira na. Amar jonme'r agey namkoron hoisey. Bhasha andolen'er shomoi. Miraz're jiggesh koro. He MUST know.

Tigers_eye
May 2, 2018, 04:26 PM
Bangladesh thekey kivabey desher mati bideshe export kortey parbo...TSA restriction asey. You can't. Ar mota onkk'er taka transfer kortey hoiley Houndi dhortey hobay. :)

Yankees
May 2, 2018, 04:30 PM
I took an initiative to promote Bangladesh and made it clear. If you don’t want to promote you could either open a new thread or not contribute at all.

fair enough, but maybe change the thread title to Get to know Bangladesh (with blinders on): Ask away (only Positives!)

Then when Akle bhai goes to visit our desh, and is cooped up in his hotel room because of another sarkari hartal, he can wonder "haire, Adam bhai keno aisob koilo na?"

DinRaat.
May 2, 2018, 07:28 PM
During the haartals I feel sorry for the cars, picketers must have a fetish of trashing and burning cars during haatarls. God knows what would happen if someone happens to drive through one in a luxury sedan.

aklemalp
May 3, 2018, 06:50 PM
What are the 'haartals'?

DinRaat.
May 3, 2018, 08:02 PM
What are the 'haartals'?

Riots, in which the public fulfill their bloodlust by trying to pillage, violate and burn every single vehicle with a diesal or petrol engine and 4-8 set of wheels.

Night_wolf
May 4, 2018, 06:02 AM
I cant remember the last time Dhaka had a proper riot type hartal, nowadays people dont give a F about hartal. I feel for today's kids. when I used to go to school hartals were proper! schools used to remain close! hartal was like eid to me back than! now even we have ssc exams during hartals

Night_wolf
May 4, 2018, 06:04 AM
Riots, in which the public fulfill their bloodlust by trying to pillage, violate and burn every single vehicle with a diesal or petrol engine and 4-8 set of wheels.

you are way backdated. please keep up with the current trend or dont utter fake news

I am getting tired of telling you this

mufi_02
May 4, 2018, 07:54 AM
Dhaka had no hartal in years. We used to play cricket in the street during hartaals. sometimes the parties would announce very late around 9-10 pm. so we would be glued to the TV set waiting it to be announced and that feeling of no school tomorrow was so sweet.

riots lol. those were only limited to Mothijheel or Shantinagar.

sometimes people have no idea what they talk about.

DinRaat.
May 4, 2018, 08:10 AM
you are way backdated. please keep up with the current trend or dont utter fake news

I am getting tired of telling you this

oh so your saying a car was never needlessly destroyed in a haartal, maybe not these days but back in 2007-2010, getting your prized possession trashed was a very realistic thing

roman
May 4, 2018, 08:17 AM
I cant remember the last time Dhaka had a proper riot type hartal, nowadays people dont give a F about hartal. I feel for today's kids. when I used to go to school hartals were proper! schools used to remain close! hartal was like eid to me back than! now even we have ssc exams during hartals

I had to sit for my O level exam at 2 am in the morning Thanks to hartal.

Nowadays we do not have proper hartal mainly due to ineptness of BNP. Also general people got tired of Hartals. Thats a good thing.

aklemalp
May 4, 2018, 08:17 AM
Can someone tell me the name of the dish that have the jackfruit seeds and green ( unripe ) mangoes in it?

A Bangladeshi colleague of mine (at college) and I was having a conversation about different food and she brought this one up...I forgot the name she mentioned.

Night_wolf
May 4, 2018, 09:54 AM
oh so your saying a car was never needlessly destroyed in a haartal, maybe not these days but back in 2007-2010, getting your prized possession trashed was a very realistic thing

again keep up with the current trend :facepalm:

Tigers_eye
May 4, 2018, 04:40 PM
Can someone tell me the name of the dish that have the jackfruit seeds and green ( unripe ) mangoes in it?

A Bangladeshi colleague of mine (at college) and I was having a conversation about different food and she brought this one up...I forgot the name she mentioned.
Not necessarily put in to one dish.

"Kathal'er bichi" Seed of Jackfruit, is almost like small potato (little hard). We usually have it with Beef Bhuna.

"Kacha aam", unripe mango, is used in daal. Too good.

adamnsu
May 5, 2018, 10:54 AM
What are the 'haartals'?

Hartarl are strikes called by the opposition party. In the mid 90s it was quite regular. This enforced normal life to be restricted as people could not go out on long journey as transportation was almost not available.

These days it is not as violent as it used to be and certain areas are safe to carry on as normal. Also the frequency of the hartals has reduced a lot.

In order for a procession to have more people, they would hire kids who would get some money and a packet of biryani.

Roey Haque
May 5, 2018, 03:14 PM
Only God knows how many millions of dollars in GDP "hartaals" have cost the Bd economy. I am glad they are over.

I am still for protests though. But protests which don't threaten businesses or transportation.

aklemalp
May 7, 2018, 08:20 PM
Not necessarily put in to one dish.

"Kathal'er bichi" Seed of Jackfruit, is almost like small potato (little hard). We usually have it with Beef Bhuna.

"Kacha aam", unripe mango, is used in daal. Too good.

I've never heard about mango being put into dhal...the only greens that I know of which they put into dhal is okra.
The unripe mango joins most of the saltwater fishes in a curry marriage.

Hartarl are strikes called by the opposition party. In the mid 90s it was quite regular. This enforced normal life to be restricted as people could not go out on long journey as transportation was almost not available.

These days it is not as violent as it used to be and certain areas are safe to carry on as normal. Also the frequency of the hartals has reduced a lot.

In order for a procession to have more people, they would hire kids who would get some money and a packet of biryani.

Oh, thanks. So it's a form of mainstream protesting now?

adamnsu
May 8, 2018, 03:24 AM
I've never heard about mango being put into dhal...the only greens that I know of which they put into dhal is okra.
The unripe mango joins most of the saltwater fishes in a curry marriage.

Oh, thanks. So it's a form of mainstream protesting now?

Unripe mango in dhaal is a nice combo as it adds a sour element to the dish. Last night we had garden tomatoes too. Another popular vegetable used in dhaal is drumstrick.

Bangladesh has many ranges of mangoes. The popular ones are sweet like a Pakistani mango but is quite firm like a Jamaican mango.

A popular snack/breakfast is ripe mango+rice+milk sprinkled with sugar.

Political protests mainly constitute of processions. They have stand offs with the police and this stand off is always expected. Last 3 years it is not as regular and violent as it used to be in the 90s.

aklemalp
May 8, 2018, 06:36 PM
Another popular vegetable used in dhaal is drumstrick.

This is what the drumstick looks like?

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51w26UA1dhL._SX425_.jpg

We call it saijan. Also eat the leaves as a bhajee. Good plant this it.

Sheikh_Saheb
May 8, 2018, 07:58 PM

Crikey, wouldn't want to live through a 90's hartarl in Bangladesh, sounds thuggish. Good that it's better now. I guess folks grew weary of the orchestrated violence over time. Wouldn't be surprised if it were the politicos doing the orchestration. This may've fallen out of favour with public anger and dissatisfaction broadcast over social media nowadays, you reckon.

Cheers
Siraj

adamnsu
May 9, 2018, 03:30 AM
This is what the drumstick looks like?

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51w26UA1dhL._SX425_.jpg

We call it saijan. Also eat the leaves as a bhajee. Good plant this it.

Yes that looks like it. Although I normally see it cooked and not in its raw form.

adamnsu
May 9, 2018, 03:38 AM
Crikey, wouldn't want to live through a 90's hartarl in Bangladesh, sounds thuggish. Good that it's better now. I guess folks grew weary of the orchestrated violence over time. Wouldn't be surprised if it were the politicos doing the orchestration. This may've fallen out of favour with public anger and dissatisfaction broadcast over social media nowadays, you reckon.

Cheers
Siraj

Well as a kid it wasnt that bad in the 90s. School was closed. Young boys in Dhanmondi would play cricket all day in the lanes. When Hasina called a non stop hartaal, prices of things went up quite a bit. Also like someone said we had to sit for O level exams after 7pm when the hartaal period was off.

Shop keepers had to keep their shutters half open. When they would see a procession coming they and the pedestrians would close shop and hide until the procession passed by.

It was really dangerous mainly in certain points and on the main road. Residential areas and alleys would not be impacted much. I heard Gulshan, Banani and diplomatic zones are more open for people to move around.

DinRaat.
May 9, 2018, 05:56 AM
Well as a kid it wasnt that bad in the 90s. School was closed. Young boys in Dhanmondi would play cricket all day in the lanes. When Hasina called a non stop hartaal, prices of things went up quite a bit. Also like someone said we had to sit for O level exams after 7pm when the hartaal period was off.

Shop keepers had to keep their shutters half open. When they would see a procession coming they and the pedestrians would close shop and hide until the procession passed by.

It was really dangerous mainly in certain points and on the main road. Residential areas and alleys would not be impacted much. I heard Gulshan, Banani and diplomatic zones are more open for people to move around.

Home of the top 1% of Bangladesh.

P.S I don't live there.

adamnsu
May 9, 2018, 09:10 AM
Home of the top 1% of Bangladesh.

P.S I don't live there.

Yes it is where most of the country's affluent society live. But it is not purely a residential zone.

Majority of the top firms have offices there. You also have educational institutions there as well. Let us also not forget the Diplomatic zones too.

So alot of people who do not live in that area need to come here.

adamnsu
May 9, 2018, 09:28 AM
Ar, adam bhai, Jason Billam er youtube videos deikhen na. Ahammok kom poishay ki shob foula basha-bari ar restaurantey gesilo.

Atleast ekjon amader desh re niya kotto valo kore dekhanor chesta korchay despite not living in luxurious places or eating at expensive restaraunts. taar kache amader desh ke kotto bhalo laaglo. Maybe thats not to everyones taste but I appreciate his effort.

Our country is more known for floods, famine, cheap garments and poverty and the media has been show casing that for many years. Yes thats true but I believe there are positives about the country and its not all about those things.

Aaar amra Bangali ra ki luxruiously bhabe amader desher prochar kori? khali always negative thinking and jhogra jhaati koria deshre aaro foul bhabe dekhanor chesta kori.

It is easy to criticise about others efforts, but cannot do something better themselves.

DinRaat.
May 9, 2018, 09:29 AM
Yes it is where most of the country's affluent society live. But it is not purely a residential zone.

Majority of the top firms have offices there. You also have educational institutions there as well. Let us also not forget the Diplomatic zones too.

So alot of people who do not live in that area need to come here.

Nice area though, makes me forget about the poverty.

adamnsu
May 9, 2018, 09:30 AM
Nice area though, makes me forget about the poverty.

There are alot of areas other than Gulshan/Banani/Baridhara where u can forget about the poverty :)

DinRaat.
May 9, 2018, 09:33 AM
There are alot of areas other than Gulshan/Banani/Baridhara where u can forget about the poverty :)

Yea, the Jamuna Future Park is definitely one of them. Fun fact it is 9th biggest mall in the world, maybe I'll visit it once again with someone special, next time I go.

Even places like IDB(BCS Computer city, that large technology mall) are a great idea, surprised that more technology focused malls haven't opened elsewhere.

JFP is by far one of the best malls I have been too. So sad that it is empty, since the prices are high for many people to afford. It is usually closed off to median middle- upper class families.

Even places like Fantasy Kingdom in Savar, where my parents own a plot near the road, Fantasy Kingdom was decent I went there a few times when I was 15, very enjoyable.

I think if people do it right, they can enjoy 99% of the comforts of a Western society in Bangladesh, next time I go alone, I'm going to try and book into one of the hotels, and see if it is possible to be completely closed off, from the poverty/ headaches(traffic jams).

Some of the places are complete shitholes(Kochu Khaat, parts of mirpur), whilst other parts are so nice and enjoyable to visit, the 3-5 star hotels, Sheraton,Le Meriedien, Radisson Blu, can make the trip much more convenient and enjoyable if you want to pay 130-200 dollars a night.

DinRaat.
May 9, 2018, 09:42 AM
How's the AirBnB in BD, do I have to fear of getting stabbed, or is it a better alternative to hotels.

Tigers_eye
May 9, 2018, 02:24 PM

Cheers
SirajI was already out of the country. However, when I went back, and if there was a Hartal, it felt like unofficial Holiday. No Traffic jams (If you can't imagine then think of Eid day traffic - none). You could ride Rickshaw any where. Visit relatives all day long. For those who didn't had to worry about daily earnings, it was an "Unofficial holiday". And if you had connection to an ambulance, you could ride anywhere as long as some was ready to pretend an emergency patient.

adamnsu
May 10, 2018, 12:50 AM
How's the AirBnB in BD, do I have to fear of getting stabbed, or is it a better alternative to hotels.

With AirBnB always check reviews regardless of which country they are in.

If your worries are about getting stabbed then go to a hotel which has security guards.