PDA

View Full Version : Should a team with 4 ICC tournament Quarterfinals appearances still be classed as "minnows"???

al Furqaan
July 11, 2018, 12:24 PM
from Bangladesh's linkedin page:

2007 WC Super 8s after knocking India out
2007 WT20 Super 8s after knocking West Indies out
2015 WC Quarter-finals after knocking England out (same England is now a powerhouse)
2017 CT Semi-finals after knocking New Zealand out

To add to that, we'd have made the 2011 WC quarterfinals if West Indies had beaten England, making a total of 5.

DMan
July 11, 2018, 12:26 PM
Who is calling Bangladesh minnows though? You guys aren't world beaters but you shouldn't be called minnows either.

aklemalp
July 11, 2018, 12:31 PM
To add to that, we'd have made the 2011 WC quarterfinals if West Indies had beaten England, making a total of 5.

Clearly a hypothetical. Doesn't count. Either you make it or not.

aklemalp
July 11, 2018, 12:35 PM
I think the minnow is associated with the test cricket. No one calls them that in ODIs. T20I was the most vulnerable format for them, but they have come up with some good performances of late (Nihadas Trophy).

Yankees
July 11, 2018, 12:43 PM
from Bangladesh's linkedin page:

Wait, why does Bangladesh cricket have a Linkedin page? I thought linkedin was for professionals.

bujhee kom
July 11, 2018, 12:49 PM
Wait, why does Bangladesh cricket have a Linkedin page? I thought linkedin was for professionals.

Yankees uncle, keno na, whay not?
BCB and Bangladesh cricket team also has MuslimShadi.com, BDmatrimoni.com match.com and IMDB profile pages too. Who knows who created them accounts.

bujhee kom
July 11, 2018, 01:29 PM
So what our team has a BDMatrimoni.com page. Our team sucks so bad and a lot of the team members are Lomphuts....so nobody bodroloke taar meye-ke amader team-er kache Biye dibe na. I know I won't. I have two bibaho-upojogi girl cats, I am not sednign to no BD Odhum players house. Amy amar biral-der jibon noshto korba naa! I know beeter!

Roey Haque
July 11, 2018, 04:01 PM
Yes we are mi43ows. The name doesn't bother me.

al Furqaan
July 11, 2018, 04:07 PM
All teams struggle in the first couple tests on tour. India only win the 3rd Test in SA and that was due to a minefield pitch where Pandya becomes as lethal as Rabada. And that’s given how frequently India tours overseas at senior and A team level.

Roey Haque
July 11, 2018, 04:28 PM
^ No, I definitely agree with you. I am just saying, personally, the name does not bother me one bit. It can be quite appropriate at times. I have no problems it being tied to performance. Meaning when we collapse, we should be called that. But when we do well, we should be and are called more praiseworthy names.

Eclipse
July 11, 2018, 04:34 PM
What has Bangladesh done in it's 30 years of cricket history to be not termed as a minnow? Absolutely nothing.

Last time when we reached SF in CT, it was purely based on luck. Frankly we should be ashamed of the fact that we have reached the QF instead of AUS who actually humiliated us in the group stage by bundling us out for 180 and were cruising to a victory after 15 overs of their innings.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is, just because we've won couple of odd games in world stage( mostly based on luck or individual brilliance) doesn't necessarily mean that we can't be called as a minnow. Honestly we r the only cricket playing nation who has achieved next to nothing even after playing countless no of tests, ODIs and after spending a bucket load of money behind our players.

Remember, even worthless Kenya once reached the semifinal of a WC. And I repeat again that when Kenya went to semifinal of the most prestigious tournament of cricket, they didn't even have a test status.

cricket_king
July 11, 2018, 06:13 PM
No idea why this thread has been opened now. We ****** suck.

Donal C
July 11, 2018, 06:24 PM
Counting Super 8s as QF's is a bit of a stretch lol, in that case Ireland have two appearances.

Bangladesh arent minnows however, least not in Asia, still need to prove themselves outside of it though more consistently.

PS: When are the BCB gonna announce your A squad for your Irish tour next month?

NoName
July 11, 2018, 09:40 PM
Counting Super 8s as QF's is a bit of a stretch lol, in that case Ireland have two appearances.

Bangladesh arent minnows however, least not in Asia, still need to prove themselves outside of it though more consistently.

PS: When are the BCB gonna announce your A squad for your Irish tour next month?

When you promise us you will let us score 100 at least

ToBeFair
July 11, 2018, 10:04 PM
What has Bangladesh done in it's 30 years of cricket history to be not termed as a minnow? Absolutely nothing.

Last time when we reached SF in CT, it was purely based on luck. Frankly we should be ashamed of the fact that we have reached the QF instead of AUS who actually humiliated us in the group stage by bundling us out for 180 and were cruising to a victory after 15 overs of their innings.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is, just because we've won couple of odd games in world stage( mostly based on luck or individual brilliance) doesn't necessarily mean that we can't be called as a minnow. Honestly we r the only cricket playing nation who has achieved next to nothing even after playing countless no of tests, ODIs and after spending a bucket load of money behind our players.

Remember, even worthless Kenya once reached the semifinal of a WC. And I repeat again that when Kenya went to semifinal of the most prestigious tournament of cricket, they didn't even have a test status.

:up::up::up:

Those QFs = one match wonder

al Furqaan
July 11, 2018, 11:53 PM

Thats a fallacy. Kenya only won against 2 major opponents in 2003. Bangladesh did the same in 2007, so thats even stevens. Kenya has fewer WC scalps than Ireland, and Ireland has only 1 quarterfinal appearance, which is 3 less than Bangladesh.

But what is the criteria for minnow status? Is it underachieving relative to some standard. What if Bangladesh had 80% of the cricket players and 50% of the money yet only had 10% of the trophies? Would that be enough underachieving to be classed as a minnow?

al Furqaan
July 11, 2018, 11:55 PM

Not a strech for cricket. S8s and QFs are both for the final 8 and hence equivalent. My bad I forgot about Ireland in 2009. Ireland do have 2. Thats 1 more than Kenya and even Kenya's were due to forfeitures.

Because then you'd have to say the World Test Championship Final isn't a real final because there is no preceding semi, quarter, or group stage.

Rifat
July 12, 2018, 12:02 AM
I distinctly remember a T20 match in 2015 where Bangladesh was playing UAE. if it wasn't for Mahmudullah(the most hated guy in BC) heroics with the bat that particular day, Bangladesh would have likely lost that match as well(the almost same team lost to Hong Kong and other weaker teams in 2014). and Guys, 2015 was our peak year...that was arguably the best year in Bangladesh Cricket History. That match was on home soil. so that should give you some perspective on where Bangladesh Cricket really stands. Bangladesh barely managed 135 in 20 overs against UAE . That should raise lots of alarms....

In order to become a World class team you need every single member of the team to be consistently performing like India or England for example. Bangladesh has good players but they are not consistent. if they are consistent then it is only a 2/3 players who are consistently performing while the rest performs once every 5/6 matches.

ToBeFair
July 12, 2018, 12:48 AM
I distinctly remember a T20 match in 2015 where Bangladesh was playing UAE. if it wasn't for Mahmudullah(the most hated guy in BC) heroics with the bat that particular day, Bangladesh would have likely lost that match as well(the almost same team lost to Hong Kong and other weaker teams in 2014). and Guys, 2015 was our peak year...that was arguably the best year in Bangladesh Cricket History. That match was on home soil. so that should give you some perspective on where Bangladesh Cricket really stands. Bangladesh barely managed 135 in 20 overs against UAE . That should raise lots of alarms....

In order to become a World class team you need every single member of the team to be consistently performing like India or England for example. Bangladesh has good players but they are not consistent. if they are consistent then it is only a 2/3 players who are consistently performing while the rest performs once every 5/6 matches.

Another spot on observation. :up:

The reality is very simple. Whether a team is good or bad, you can often understand it using common sense and simple naked eye observation.

From my common sense understanding, BD is not a good team at all. BD is a FLUKE team with average and below average players, who rarely wins outside and registers occasional wins on home soil.

But then of course, if you want to deny reality and common sense, then you have to bring mental gymnastics and statistical gymnastics like al Furqan. Not interested in that.

There is a saying in Bangla: Gyani sikhe dekhe, murkho (gadha) sikhe theke.

Etobar thoksi, thoka kaisi, it is time to learn and not be gordhob anymore. I AM NO LONGER DELUDED about BD cricket team. If you are, then per above saying, you are worse than a :facepalm: :D :lol: :down:

Eclipse
July 12, 2018, 03:41 AM
Thats a fallacy. Kenya only won against 2 major opponents in 2003. Bangladesh did the same in 2007, so thats even stevens. Kenya has fewer WC scalps than Ireland, and Ireland has only 1 quarterfinal appearance, which is 3 less than Bangladesh.

But what is the criteria for minnow status? Is it underachieving relative to some standard. What if Bangladesh had 80% of the cricket players and 50% of the money yet only had 10% of the trophies? Would that be enough underachieving to be classed as a minnow?

I really like ur optimistic view Furqaan, I really do. But, it's high time for u to realise that we r a minnow cricket team with little to no achievement in any form of cricket.

Obviously there isn't a definite set of rules based on which u can declare a cricket nation minnow. But if u summarise the achievements of a cricket team, their current ranking, overall win loss ration, no of world class players they currently have at their disposal or had in the past relative to the no of years they have been playing this sport, u'll definitely get an idea.

We have already played over hundreds of tests but it's needless to say that we've lost 90% of them. Don't think there r many test teams in the world which has as pathetic win loss ratio as we have in tests. Even now we regularly lose to associates and 90% of the time get whitewashed by bigger teams. Don't u think based on these above points we can safely say that Bangladedh is still a minnow cricket team filled with mediocre players who aren't fit enough to be in the B team of other test playing nations ?

adamnsu
July 12, 2018, 03:57 AM
I dont know why this is an issue and why we have to ask ourselves this question now. Yes we are going through a bad period currently but in the last few years we have got results.

brockley
July 12, 2018, 04:03 AM
Not a minnow,especially at home.
Easy to beat away.
Maybe Bangladesh has 2 many foreign tours,a victim of their success.

bujhee kom
July 12, 2018, 05:50 AM
To clarify, BD is NOT ONLY the minnows in world top tier cricket, but also the Mini (as in mini me) as well as still 100% Monu (as in Borishailla speaking)!

RealSports
July 12, 2018, 07:51 AM

That's not fair. They got their full membership status in 00. Before then, the sport didn't really mean much. Cut the bias.

adamnsu
July 12, 2018, 08:42 AM
That's not fair. They got their full membership status in 00. Before then, the sport didn't really mean much. Cut the bias.

From the sounds of it, I guess you dont know Eclipse too well to know the reason for his bias

One World
July 12, 2018, 10:24 AM
Is Kenya a country?

Donal C
July 12, 2018, 10:31 AM
Desi fans are way to reactive and emotional. Bangladesh are not minnows but they're not a powerhouse either. Good at home, sub par away. Not too hard to understand, no need for the emotional highs and lows that follow a good and poor run of form.

Yankees
July 12, 2018, 02:21 PM
Is Kenya a country?

Yes and it's a pretty cool one.

aklemalp
July 12, 2018, 02:34 PM
https://i1.wp.com/www.canadacool.com/wp-content/uploads/boat_minnow.jpg?resize=300%2C225

adamnsu
July 12, 2018, 02:36 PM
https://i1.wp.com/www.canadacool.com/wp-content/uploads/boat_minnow.jpg?resize=300%2C225

Ah the SS Minnow. Gilligan’s Island was a great show. Used to be shown on btv

aklemalp
July 12, 2018, 05:02 PM
Ah the SS Minnow. Gilligan’s Island was a great show. Used to be shown on btv

A freaking 3-hour tour.

adamnsu
July 12, 2018, 05:16 PM
A freaking 3-hour tour.

Sorry didn’t get what you meant

aklemalp
July 12, 2018, 05:21 PM
Sorry didn’t get what you meant

The theme song. Listen to it. This is the most important thing.

Vahroone
July 13, 2018, 07:35 AM
All teams struggle in the first couple tests on tour. India only win the 3rd Test in SA and that was due to a minefield pitch where Pandya becomes as lethal as Rabada. And that’s given how frequently India tours overseas at senior and A team level.

As evidenced by his earth shaking 0 wickets across both innings, versus Rabada's half a dozen.

Eclipse
July 13, 2018, 08:17 AM

We shouldn't even mention Team India when we r talking about a team of Bangladesh's caliber. Its like bringing the quality of Audi into discussion when we r talking about the local tempos. :lol:

India has performed brilliantly in their recently finished SA tour. They would've easily won the series if kohli had selected a better team. Second test was there for the taking but unfortunately they failed to do so due to bad luck.

But we all saw how they hammered and humiliated SA in the ODIs, didn't we? Oh one more thing, i don't think the number of tests we have played in last couple of years have played any role in our overall development as a cricket playing nation. We played quite a number of tests at both home and away in last couple of years and it's needless to say, we have been humiliated in most of them. Only a uber low level minnow team can get thrashed the way we got thrashed in SA and NZ. We couldn't even compete in a single session leave alone winning a test or series. It was so damn embarrassing.

Eclipse
July 13, 2018, 08:19 AM
As evidenced by his earth shaking 0 wickets across both innings, versus Rabada's half a dozen.

India performed really well in SA. Those who followed that series closely would agree with me.

Rifat_02
July 13, 2018, 08:19 AM
We shouldn't even mention Team India when we r talking about a team of Bangladesh's caliber. Its like bringing the quality of Audi into discussion when we r talking about the of local tempos. :lol:

India has performed brilliantly in their recently finished SA tour. They would've easily won the series if kohli had selected a better team. Second test was there for the taking but unfortunately they failed to do so due to bad luck.

But we all saw how they hammered and humiliated SA in the ODIs, didn't we? Oh one more thing, i don't think the number of tests we have played in last couple of years have played any role in our overall development as a cricket playing nation. We played quite a number of tests at both home and away in last couple of years and it's needless to say, we have been humiliated in most of them. Only a uber low level minnow team can get thrashed the way we got thrashed in SA and NZ. We couldn't even compete in a single session leave alone winning a test or series. It was so damn embarrassing.

Are you from India posing as a BD fan ?

ToBeFair
July 13, 2018, 08:31 AM
We shouldn't even mention Team India when we r talking about a team of Bangladesh's caliber. Its like bringing the quality of Audi into discussion when we r talking about the local tempos. :lol:

So true. India fought really hard in the first two tests and could have easily won had Kohli were a little smarter about team selection.

There is a difference between losing the first test while fighting hard and a complete disgraceful surrender like BD did in WI. The first type can be attributed to getting acclimatized whereas the second type is nature of minnows.

adamnsu
July 13, 2018, 08:33 AM

Thats quite rich coming from a person whose quality of comments are as toxic as greenhouse gas emissions

adamnsu
July 13, 2018, 08:35 AM
Is it me or am I detecting two closet trolls? Both seem to be cut from the same Indian deshi cloth

Roey Haque
July 13, 2018, 09:19 AM
I have a question for you Adamnsu, no one in this forum probably is as merciless as me when comes to using words to be critical of Bd. And yet, you never call me a troll. So why are you calling these folks trolls? Did they do something in the past that I am unaware of?

Vahroone
July 13, 2018, 09:35 AM
I have a question for you Adamnsu, no one in this forum probably is as merciless as me when comes to using words to be critical of Bd. And yet, you never call me a troll. So why are you calling these folks trolls? Did they do something in the past that I am unaware of?

Coping technique.

adamnsu
July 13, 2018, 09:45 AM

I have stopped actually to say anything to you after the day you stoopped so low when you changed the name of Bangladesh to show your frustration. That IMO is worse than being a troll.

adamnsu
July 13, 2018, 09:46 AM
Coping technique.

Not really. Its more to give back a pinch of their own medicine.

Roey Haque
July 13, 2018, 09:50 AM
I have stopped actually to say anything to you after the day you stoopped so low when you changed the name of Bangladesh to show your frustration. That IMO is worse than being a troll.

Hahaha,ok! Good to know.

Vahroone
July 13, 2018, 09:51 AM
India performed really well in SA. Those who followed that series closely would agree with me.

Yep, it was a decent performance across the tests and ODIs, but I fail to see why it was even brought up in the first place in the context of this thread.

mufi_02
July 13, 2018, 10:05 AM
I don't like the term "minnows" but if it needs to be used then I will say we are minnows in Test and T20s. In ODIs, we are mediocre.

Beside Zim/Ireland, we don't start any game with any of those nine oppositions as the favorite to win.

and not everyone who criticizes our poor performance is a troll.

Eclipse
July 13, 2018, 12:21 PM
Are you from India posing as a BD fan ?

Nope dude. I m a Bangladeshi from Bangladesh who's a die hard fan of Bangladesh cricket team.

al Furqaan
July 13, 2018, 12:23 PM

They also got favorable pitches in 2 of the 3 Tests.

In fact the minefield of the 3rd Test evened things out as well because it made a Bumrah as lethal as a Rabada.

al Furqaan
July 13, 2018, 12:28 PM

YOU shouldn't mention it. Once India starts to win 70% of the ICC trophies to reflect their power, influence, and financial standing we'll have a reasonable base for discussion.

You can't even compare SL to BD. SL didn't win till the 3rd Test on tour. And that too was on a minefield where a Lakmal or Ranjith becomes as unplayable as a Gabriel or Roach. Its like a Dhaka turner where both Miraz, Ashwin, or Lyon can all turn the ball a yard.

tiger1000
July 13, 2018, 12:48 PM
From the sounds of it, I guess you dont know Eclipse too well to know the reason for his bias

Eclipse isn't bias, he's a troll

There's a difference

Eclipse
July 13, 2018, 12:50 PM
So true. India fought really hard in the first two tests and could have easily won had Kohli were a little smarter about team selection.

There is a difference between losing the first test while fighting hard and a complete disgraceful surrender like BD did in WI. The first type can be attributed to getting acclimatized whereas the second type is nature of minnows.

Totally agree with u. There's a big difference between getting defeated by the opposition and getting steamrolled by the opposition.

We all know that most top teams struggle in their first couple of matches in their respective tours especially if they start the away series without playing any practice match. But what Bangladesh do is completely different than that. Our team gets completely annihilated every time we play outside Mirpur regardless the quality of the opposition.

Don't think playing a lot of tests is going to help us to improve our current status. We've already played quite a lot of away matches in last couple of years but the result is still the same if not worse.

adamnsu
July 13, 2018, 12:59 PM
Nope dude. I m a Bangladeshi from Bangladesh who's a die hard fan of Bangladesh cricket team.

Apnar desher baari kon khano jani?

Eclipse
July 13, 2018, 01:18 PM
They also got favorable pitches in 2 of the 3 Tests.

In fact the minefield of the 3rd Test evened things out as well because it made a Bumrah as lethal as a Rabada.

Haha :lol:

This post of urs have just made me assured that u haven't followed that series closely and now just making things up my dear friend..

Truth is, SA thought that they didn't get the doctored pitch they wished for in the second test against India (where they almost got defeated)

In order to rectify that mistake and to take revenge of their last India tour(In which they got humiliated by team India by getting whitewashed), SA systematically dished out a doctored green pitch to India. They provided such a green, bouncy pitch that every single ball in that test was jumping above shoulder height from good lengths and was swinging viciously.

But SA forgot that India currently has one of the best fast bowling attack in the world. Indian fast bowlers made SA to fall in their own trap and completely massacred SA batting lineup in their own doctored green top. That pitch was heavily doctored to favour SA, but India fought valiantly and won that test against all odds.

Vahroone
July 13, 2018, 01:23 PM
More bandaid cluelessness by Bangladesh fans whose patience with their team would be hilarious if it wasn't so depressing.

At the end of the day, these are the stats that matter against the teams that matter:

Tests: 10 wins out of 107
ODIs: 39 wins out of 231
T20s: 8 wins out of 52

Want to banish the M-word? Channel your ire at the gutless BCB and the team to make that 30 test wins out of 150. Or 75 ODI wins out of 300. No amount of window dressing or deflection by al-Furqaan (who has done it for a lifetime's worth - where has it led him or his beloved "Tigers" besides rock bottom?), or the classic little boy syndrome displayed by adamnsu (who shoots off the 'troll' term much like children close their eyes and believe their problems go away) can take this imitation of a sports team anywhere.

As I type, Bangladesh are 21/2 against the West Indies 350+ total. Even patience has its limits sometimes you would think.

adamnsu
July 13, 2018, 01:26 PM
Don’t understand what obsession Indian fans have with Bangladeshi cricket when we are not playing with them. Seems like they have no where else to infest

Eclipse
July 13, 2018, 01:26 PM
Apnar desher baari kon khano jani?

I m more fluent in Bangla than I'm in English. Our stupid education system hasn't allowed me to write a single Bangla sentence in last 7/8 years.

Wish we were a top nation(like Japan or Germany) and had all the necessary books available in Bangla. If that was the case we could have studied in our own mother tongue and could've achieved much more in our respective fields.

adamnsu
July 13, 2018, 01:31 PM
I m more fluent in Bangla than I'm in English. Our stupid education system haven't allowed me to write a single Bangla sentence in last 7/8 years.

Wish we were a top nation(like Japan or Germany) and had all the necessary books available in Bangla. If that was the case we could have studied in our own mother tongue and could've achieved much more in our respective field.

So you are more fluent in Bangla and you can’t write in Bangla. Don’t think the education system that is stupid 😁.

Where is your village home? Surely you can say where that is?

First time I saw you didn’t bring India into your argument. I guess in this instance it’s like the Audi example you gave earlier

Yankees
July 13, 2018, 01:36 PM
I m more fluent in Bangla than I'm in English. Our stupid education system hasn't allowed me to write a single Bangla sentence in last 7/8 years.

Wish we were a top nation(like Japan or Germany) and had all the necessary books available in Bangla. If that was the case we could have studied in our own mother tongue and could've achieved much more in our respective fields.

Eclipse miah, anner bari koi? Adamnsu re jobab den.

Eclipse
July 13, 2018, 01:43 PM
Thats quite rich coming from a person whose quality of comments are as toxic as greenhouse gas emissions

Brother, I never make toxic connects. U know it, I know it, everybody knows it. What I said in my previous post is true. Bringing a team of India's caliber into the discussion (who has the potential to be as good as 2000s Australia) when we r talking about a team like Bangladesh is indeed laughable.

adamnsu
July 13, 2018, 01:46 PM
Brother, I never make toxic connects. U know it, I know it, everybody knows it. What I said in my previous post is true. Bringing a team of India's caliber into the discussion (who has the potential to be as good as 2000s Australia) when we r talking about a team like Bangladesh is indeed laughable.

Sorry I still can’t see the answer about your village home.

India is a strong powerhouse of cricket, there is no argument about that though.

Vahroone
July 13, 2018, 01:47 PM
Don’t understand what obsession Indian fans have with Bangladeshi cricket when we are not playing with them. Seems like they have no where else to infest

The usual tinpot argument - the right to comment on other teams is a God-given right to the residents of Gulshan and Dhanmondi. Hang and flay anybody else who bring the adorable tigers up, while we dissect the Ashes or an India tour of South Africa in a vain attempt to wish away the uncomfortable M-word.

You have an admirable tendency to let the facts get out of the way of a desperate run for the exit, from the trifling matter of my antipathy towards criticism of that which you hold dear, to the more substantive issue of my supposed desire to infest sports forums Internet-wide.

Yankees
July 13, 2018, 01:47 PM
More bandaid cluelessness by Bangladesh fans whose patience with their team would be hilarious if it wasn't so depressing.

At the end of the day, these are the stats that matter against the teams that matter:

Tests: 10 wins out of 107
ODIs: 39 wins out of 231
T20s: 8 wins out of 52

Want to banish the M-word? Channel your ire at the gutless BCB and the team to make that 30 test wins out of 150. Or 75 ODI wins out of 300. No amount of window dressing or deflection by al-Furqaan (who has done it for a lifetime's worth - where has it led him or his beloved "Tigers" besides rock bottom?), or the classic little boy syndrome displayed by adamnsu (who shoots off the 'troll' term much like children close their eyes and believe their problems go away) can take this imitation of a sports team anywhere.

As I type, Bangladesh are 21/2 against the West Indies 350+ total. Even patience has its limits sometimes you would think.

wonderful stuff, Varoone. I can picture the delight on your face as you wait for your micromax 3g lite phone to finally load the google results showing how many wins BD has to date (assuming you haven't already got it memorized).

I don't disagree with what you said, but it does bring up the question, why are you - a non bengali - are so concerned that you put so much effort and thought and time into this forum. Why spend so much time following and studying a forum dedicated to a minnow team, to the point where you can rattle off member names by heart? Is it forget your own little pecker? Your own short man syndrome? Or maybe it helps you forget that you had to take a sh*t on the side of the road this morning.

adamnsu
July 13, 2018, 01:52 PM
The usual tinpot argument - the right to comment on other teams is a God-given right to the residents of Gulshan and Dhanmondi. Hang and flay anybody else who bring the adorable tigers up, while we dissect the Ashes or an India tour of South Africa in a vain attempt to wish away the uncomfortable M-word.

You have an admirable tendency to let the facts get out of the way of a desperate run for the exit, from the trifling matter of my antipathy towards criticism of that which you hold dear, to the more substantive issue of my supposed desire to infest sports forums Internet-wide.

You have an even more admirable tendency to bash us Bangladeshis along with your mates.

You can come here like anyone else but when you want to make fun of us fans like that expect something you way as well.

I am glad you are not an ambassador of your country as you lot on this forum put it to shame.

Eclipse
July 13, 2018, 01:59 PM
YOU shouldn't mention it. Once India starts to win 70% of the ICC trophies to reflect their power, influence, and financial standing we'll have a reasonable base for discussion.

You can't even compare SL to BD. SL didn't win till the 3rd Test on tour. And that too was on a minefield where a Lakmal or Ranjith becomes as unplayable as a Gabriel or Roach. Its like a Dhaka turner where both Miraz, Ashwin, or Lyon can all turn the ball a yard.

I won't say much in response, even though I had many things to say.

India won the champions trophy, went to the final in odi WC, won the t20 wc, Won the odi WC, won the champions trophy yet again, went to the semifinal of the odi world cup , went to the final of the CT and remained as a no 1 test and odi team for a prolonged period of time in last 15/20 years.

They r undoubtedly the most successful cricket team in last 15/20 years.

RazabQ
July 13, 2018, 02:03 PM
easy - lay off the personal attacks y'all.

Vahroone
July 13, 2018, 02:04 PM
I can picture the delight on your face as you wait for your micromax 3g lite phone to finally load the google results showing how many wins BD has to date (assuming you haven't already got it memorized).

Is it forget your own little pecker? Your own short man syndrome?

Or maybe it helps you forget that you had to take a sh*t on the side of the road this morning.

I say get over your xenophobic crassness, and head beyond the insularity of your physical and mental ghettos. As a cricket fan, I can put up my take about the sport, its teams, players and fans in a dedicated arena such as this one without hesitation. Which is more than what we can say about you and your glittering prose above.

If you want forum members to lie through our teeth to make your favorites look better than they really are for reasons best known to you, PR agents aren't too tough a find. You may even snatch one on Fiverr.

al Furqaan
July 13, 2018, 02:07 PM
They r undoubtedly the most successful cricket team in last 15/20 years.

Thats like saying the USA has won 50% of all Basketball World Cups. The US should be winning them ALL. And India has more of a monopoly on cricket than the US does on basketball. Italy dominates soccer by bigger margins.

al Furqaan
July 13, 2018, 02:12 PM
But SA forgot that India currently has one of the best fast bowling attack in the world. Indian fast bowlers made SA to fall in their own trap and completely massacred SA batting lineup in their own doctored green top. That pitch was heavily doctored to favour SA, but India fought valiantly and won that test against all odds.

Thats not a how a minefield works.

Give both me and Muhammad Ali a gun, and I'd have a 50-50 chance of knocking him out.

Eclipse
July 13, 2018, 02:36 PM
Thats not a how a minefield works.

Give both me and Muhammad Ali a gun, and I'd have a 50-50 chance of knocking him out.

Nope sorry, can't agree with you. Firstly, u have to have the potential to deal with uncomfortable situation and bring it under control.

Give Bangladesh cricket team a minefield and they will get bundled out for 30 odd and when the opposition will come to bat they will score against Bangladeshi bowlers for fun and easily get a 400/500 runs lead.

The way Indian batters batted on that pitch, especially kohli was simply out of this world. Any other ordinary team, with ordinary batters would have easily got destroyed there. No wonder, kohli is already considered as a GOAT in all forms of cricket.

Anyway, I think we r going off track here. It's time for us to get back to the real topic and discuss whether Bangladesh is a minnow or not. Mods may not take it kindly if they see me to make unnecessary off topic posts.

al Furqaan
July 13, 2018, 02:49 PM
Nope sorry, can't agree with you. Firstly, u have to have the potential to deal with uncomfortable situation and bring it under control.

Facts aren't things you agree with or disagree with. They just are.

kfirooz
July 13, 2018, 11:11 PM
Bangladesh is certainly not a minnow but a team that hasn't done justice to its place in the big league for so long. 32 years as an ODI team it should have had at least entered one ICC final. Tests, Bangladesh was never ready and only entered through politics. Now they are showing signs of a test team every now and then.

WarWolf
July 13, 2018, 11:23 PM
Right now Bangladesh is minnow. I don't see any reason for debate.

kfirooz
July 13, 2018, 11:29 PM
Right now Bangladesh is minnow. I don't see any reason for debate.

Calling them minnows only helps justify their poor record. They should be reminded that they are a senior in the big league and about time performed like one.

kfirooz
July 13, 2018, 11:35 PM
The problem with some fans is that they demanded world beating performances from a team that was not even first class quality in the early years. Now they are happy to call them minnows.

horizon
July 14, 2018, 01:03 AM
This has become a useless discussion. Every team goes through ups and downs. Calling any team "minnow" is more or less unnecessary.

adamnsu
July 14, 2018, 01:17 AM
This has become a useless discussion. Every team goes through ups and downs. Calling any team "minnow" is more or less unnecessary.

I agree and that is what I implied earlier too

adamnsu
July 14, 2018, 01:27 AM
I say get over your xenophobic crassness, and head beyond the insularity of your physical and mental ghettos. As a cricket fan, I can put up my take about the sport, its teams, players and fans in a dedicated arena such as this one without hesitation. Which is more than what we can say about you and your glittering prose above.

If you want forum members to lie through our teeth to make your favorites look better than they really are for reasons best known to you, PR agents aren't too tough a find. You may even snatch one on Fiverr.

Atleast we have a ghetto you are just like a homeless street urchin begging for attention mate.

Also I find it ironic and laughable you question others tolerance of criticism on the Internet when you yourself cannot manage to keep your emotions in check and resort to cheap low blows personally.

Stop abusing Bangladeshis personally.

Rifat_02
July 14, 2018, 03:34 AM
We are debating if Bangladesh should be classed as minnows or not? Is that a worthwhile discussion ?

What does it matter how some fans from across the border classify the BD team as, we should be more concerned with the big drop in performance of the team

WarWolf
July 14, 2018, 04:28 AM
Asaad has started this unnecessary discussion that attracts all the BD-hating trolls.

adamnsu
July 14, 2018, 04:43 AM
We are debating if Bangladesh should be classed as minnows or not? Is that a worthwhile discussion ?

What does it matter how some fans from across the border classify the BD team as, we should be more concerned with the big drop in performance of the team

Another valid and true analysis

al Furqaan
July 14, 2018, 12:19 PM
Asaad has started this unnecessary discussion that attracts all the BD-hating trolls.

BC has outlived its usefulness.

Tehsin, Ehsan, ATMR, Zunaid, capslock, Rubu, fwullah, Beamer, ammark, Miraz and many others have all moved on. I have a feeling Tigers_eye has also moved on and joined the exodus. RazabQ is that one guy who still sticks around amid.

Being a provacateur is about the only thing worth doing here anymore, lol.

Vixen
July 14, 2018, 05:24 PM
maybe it will help to understand -

ICC Trophies-

Australia - WCs,W-T20s,CTs, Test Mace
England - W-T20,Test Mace
India - WCs,W-T20s,CTs, Test Mace
Pakistan - WC,W-T20,CT, Test Mace
New Zealand - CT
West Indies - WCs,W-T20s,CT
SriLanka - WC,W-T20,CT,
South Africa - CT, Test Mace
Bangladesh - None

One World
July 14, 2018, 06:49 PM
It is Bangladesh, the d should be in small cap.

Vahroone
July 14, 2018, 11:49 PM

Which represents the beginning and end of any feedback to Vixen's list above.

i_am_ringo
July 15, 2018, 03:24 AM
Which represents the beginning and end of any feedback to Vixen's list above.

What type of breathtaking feedback did you anticipate taking the time out of your I’m sure busy schedule to log in to a BANGLADESH forum to illustrate the Indian resume.. cuz that’s really what the point was I’m sure.

Well I guess you wanted a cookie.

So here is your cookie dear Indian. Please enjoy.

adamnsu
July 15, 2018, 04:05 AM
What type of breathtaking feedback did you anticipate taking the time out of your I’m sure busy schedule to log in to a BANGLADESH forum to illustrate the Indian resume.. cuz that’s really what the point was I’m sure.

Mate if you offer one a free cookie then dol bedhay chollay ashbay

Vixen
July 15, 2018, 08:31 AM

sorry, my bad. i have corrected it.

adamnsu
July 15, 2018, 09:26 AM

Non Bangladeshis like Eclipse make this mistake.

bujhee kom
July 15, 2018, 09:31 AM
maybe it will help to understand -

ICC Trophies-

Australia - WCs,W-T20s,CTs, Test Mace
England - W-T20,Test Mace
India - WCs,W-T20s,CTs, Test Mace
Pakistan - WC,W-T20,CT, Test Mace
New Zealand - CT
West Indies - WCs,W-T20s,CT
SriLanka - WC,W-T20,CT,
South Africa - CT, Test Mace
Bangladesh - None

Thank you Vixen bhaiya for fixing that. Good to have you back, Salaam!

Bhai, you know me well.
A lot of us here in BC don't really expect the BD national team to win the world cup or become a world champ (would be nice though, someday or occasionally, to play well on a steady run for a little while). Me particularly and I can speak for a lot of other posters here in BC, we would like to see a steady development of Bangladesh cricket, this sport, the game - that's all. It would be nice to see a competitive engagement in the game, not a day in day out meek, pathetic, zero dull performance. A lot of money is being pumped into these irresponsible athletes, I think the outcome has been rather poor.

I really don't care for the word 'fan'- people like myself are rather enthusiast of the game of cricket. And yes, as a Bangladeshi, like I already said, it would be nice see BD team doing well, playing good cricket. Here in Bangladesh, there are young children, men and women of all ages, from remote villages, small towns and cities watch or follow the game somehow and they would see their team having a win here and there - it gives something to hold onto as a source of smile and positive feeling, Like it would do for me, even after all the other hardship and struggles that life offers you.

I grew up watching great subcontinental cricketers like Zaheer Abbas, Kapil Dev, Gavaskar, Imran, Ranatunga, Mudassar, Kirmani, Vass - It would be nice to see our BD cricket generating, developing sportsmen/athletes like those, in terms of skill, personality, dedication for the game, mental strength, mental focus. grit and patience and nerve. I mean it and I have the deepest respect for the cricket culture of Pakistan, India and Sri Lanka and how this unique game is played in those countries.

bujhee kom
July 15, 2018, 10:49 AM
What I said about the word 'fan' and myself- it is because, what is a fan? who is this fan? People here will often use the word patriot with a sport team...say what? How does a man or a woman who is watching a game end up being a patriot or a non? More than half the people of a country or many countries and the world do not get enough or almost nothing to eat. The water table is rising everyday - flood in Bangladesh, extreme heat and water shortage in Karachi, earthquake in India, Pakistan and Nepal, Tsunami in Sri Lanka, and we are trying to redefine the word 'patriot' by judging if a Bangladeshi for that matter criticize the way a Bangladeshi batsman or the whole team collectively batting??

Sports come a lot latter. First you have got to have nutrition and food in your stomach! We need a decent safe shelter, clothing and access to proper healthcare first- not necessarily in that order for the last couple of items. A nation need infrastructure, job, a stable decent election process and governmental system. A plan and a back-up system for moderate to major natural or malice disaster! Need clean water, ample stock of vaccines for at least a few selective outbreaks. What about an earthquake?

Minnows my a$$. We are worse than minnows in cricket, we are sh!t when it comes to cricket or any sports*. I am dead serious - We have got to get over this severe sense of insecurity. When you are insecure as an individual, you always worry about what others think of you, what other news agencies, other fan forums write about you (in this case, the team that you root for). I only give a sh!t about how this team perform momentarily. Reason is:
a. There are better things to do in life than worrying about t a losing, loser mentality cricket team and there are far more important things in life to do and be concerned about than this, i.e. family your own health, education and job, your parents and many many many more!
b. I have zero control and prediction over how a group of monkeys would act, behave when I go to the Banani Cemetery to see my older sister and my mom. Some days they are friendly and sit next to me during ziaraat and some day they pinch me when I am reciting something. I don't mind -they are monkeys, one of my Lord's most beautiful creations. Some with the Bangladesh cricket team. I am not the one who is playing. I am just a mere spectator and enthusiast whatever of the game and trying to enjoy the game. Which the BD team does not let me (enjoy - as they suck a$$!)

This team will continue to lose** - as long as a lot of things do not change. Starting from the family, admitting corruption, developing moral building from the mother, the father, teachers and school! Education, true education! Developing respect for hard work and hard labor. instilling self-respect and self criticism. Respecting your fellow man as your fellow man! A Rickshawala as a man who could to be a far more honest and better person than you are. Some sh!thead little Taskin Faskin did not think so!

By the way, this is not overreaction, I am simply presenting an image of reality as I see it.
I love writing jokes and when I feel like, speaking my mind - only here in BC among all of you. This is the only platform I have and I love to be aorund.

*A few Bangladeshis have been great at mountaineering, I will acknowledge that. Great performance through individual effort there. Sustaining stamina and coping with severe adverse condition, that is simply superb!

**Yeah, some people may say I have to grow a pair, thinking about a team (a team I am supposed to 'support') who will lose even before it plays its future matches. Negative, defeatist mentality!! Say what again? I explain myself very well and clear. Wishing a team will win against all odds IS just a WISH, a fantasy, not about having a pair balls as a 'fan'!!! I have a pair, I fought two illegitimate wars, I have the balls to fight addiction - I do not need to grow an extra 'third' scrotum to be able to sit in front of my computer to hope and prey that the sh!t bunch of so called cricketers will somehow, with some miracle will survive today!

Haradhon
July 15, 2018, 03:28 PM
This thread was on the issue of whether Bangladesh is a minnow or not, however some of the comments made are off topic and we need to come to conclusion on the main issue.
My assessment of BD is: BD has improved enough to shrug off the minnow label. The area of improvement for BD is playing in seaming condition in test matches where the opposition can constrain BD batters to play the balls delivered relying on seaming position of the ball. BD players do not get enough practice time in the seaming condition, such as facing balls that shoot in from outside off.
One flaw that I observed in the 2nd test with WI is fishing outside off; I saw Shakib playing outside off balls solely by relying on his excellent eye sight, as he can mostly connect balls by swinging the bat horizontally. In our subcontinental pitches, with low bounce, one can connect these balls better. Connecting balls without straight bat provides bonus runs in T20 and ODI and thus leads to differing results. However, how can you continue to do the same in tests where your opposition has fielders placed at their discretion for catching. Look at how many BD players are caught-outs. The LBW's and bowled by inside edges are good balls.
All these lead to my hypothesis that developing quality pacers (Abu Jayed being one of them) would help us batting better; the same bowler swinging balls both ways would be great. We need pitches with seaming and bouncing in the long run.
Also, we can hardly have a series with 3 tests and see the team doing better in the 3rd test, as they get more practice time in seaming condition in the first 2 tests. We have a better batting line-up than the one of WI, however, the WI have a plan to exploit the area where our players are handicapped.
You will see BD doing better in the coming ODIs because of the error rate of playing away from the body when there is field restriction is lower in ODIs
I think it is unnecessary and irrelevant to debate if BD is minnow..

RazabQ
July 16, 2018, 12:13 PM
Asaad - biya koro. You'll feel less of a need to be a provocateur. Old BC guys are still around. We just don't see much to get excited about. Probably won't until this current Papon admin goes. We are stagnant. No new talents to replace the big 3/4. No upward curve.

bujhee kom
July 16, 2018, 01:46 PM
Asaad - biya koro. You'll feel less of a need to be a provocateur.

Bor da, apni ebar jaa chomotkaar ekta kotha bollen!
Al-Furqaan biye korte chai! Kintu o koob lajook, Meye-der Lojjai biye korar shahush pacche naa! Or Boyosh onek holo, eto diine o kintoo abbu hoye jetey parto! Oke apni ektu help koren!

Roey Haque
July 16, 2018, 04:53 PM

I have NO idea why you guys care so much. LOL! Y'all are too attached to your teams. Remember the players do not care about you, from both sides. They are where they are irrespective of your feelings.

Anyway Ringo, please check your inbox. We were supposed to liaise for a podcast episode, unless you changed your mind. Do let me know, you have my number. Thanks.

iDumb
July 16, 2018, 05:26 PM
Asaad - biya koro. You'll feel less of a need to be a provocateur. .

you must hate him. That is the worse advice a man can give to another. Life can be wonderful for the right wifeless person.

bujhee kom
July 17, 2018, 05:29 AM
I have been also asking myself this question. Should we be considered 'minnows' after all the wonderful 'achievements' made by this team?

I don't think we are minnows -

We are rather 'Chuno Putis' -

adamnsu
July 17, 2018, 12:51 PM
I have been also asking myself this question. Should we be considered 'minnows' after all the wonderful 'achievements' made by this team?

I don't think we are minnows -

We are rather 'Chuno Putis' -

It puts a whole new perspective to Bhaatay Massay Banglee

Rinathq
July 18, 2018, 12:24 AM
Roey.. it's time to post our podcast and end this thread for good :D