PDA

View Full Version : How open are british sylheti girls to marrying North American born sylheti boys?

shibal
September 1, 2018, 06:25 PM
Hello.

I'm a 6foot tall, fair skinned( mentioned my skin tone only to justify my preference for fair skin) religious/pious Canadian born bengali of sylheti origin. I'm at a point in my life where my parent's are considering looking for bridal prospects for me. As crappy as it may sound, I'm actually pretty picky when it comes to picking the right girl.

For me she has to be at least 5ft5( which is a rarity among bengali/sylheti girls), hijab wearing and religious; fair skinned with non- bengali looking face. Finding sylheti girls fitting such criteria in Canada is extremely hard with the biggest drawback being the sylheti girls in Canada are just not religious enough or too liberal, and the sylheti pop is relatively small among the 24 thousand bengalis living in Canada.

I know that the Uk has over 500 thousand sylhetis living there, I've seen plenty of educated, pretty + religious sylheti girls in the Uk before; fitting my criteria for the most part.

This question is for all the british sylheti members on this forum. Based on observations you've made or personal experiences, how open are the families of british sylheti girls or the girls themselves to marrying North American born sylheti boys?:)

al Furqaan
September 1, 2018, 11:24 PM
Jokes aside, it probably just depends on the individual girl who is willing to move and leave behind all her family and friends, job, etc.

If you're really serious about it, definitely look at the UK, but also NYC and maybe Detroit as they also have lots of Sylhetis.

Btw, just out of curiosity...would you marry a Beani Bazari girl?

One World
September 1, 2018, 11:35 PM
I could never fathom why Sylheti’s want to get married within their region, people originated from other regions on average are found to be much more liberal in tthis matter?

ToBeFair
September 2, 2018, 02:42 AM
I could never fathom why Sylheti’s want to get married within their region, people originated from other regions on average are found to be much more liberal in tthis matter?

This very true for Sylhetis. One Sylheti guy once said the cultures of other districts are too different from Sylheti culture.

Of course I did not believe it. The main reason is some inherent bias (to put it mildly and I am speaking in general and not referring any negative about the opening poster in any way). This is common throughout in BD.

Ever heard of BNCC? Barisal, Noakhali, Comilla, and Chadpur - means automatic blacklist with regards to marriage for many in BD. No amount of reasoning can overturn it.

The same thing is also prevalent among Pakistani and Arab culture. Especially the girl's dad will be OK marrying off her daughter with a cab driver of same ethnicity over marrying her to a prince of another nation. Other ethnicity = over my dead body.

DinRaat.
September 2, 2018, 03:15 AM
Since when did we become Bangla Marriage Forum.

Jadukor
September 2, 2018, 03:34 AM
Since when did we become Bangla Marriage Forum.
Bengali girl with a non bengali looking face :lol:

shibal
September 2, 2018, 04:24 AM
Anyways, I'd like to get some more of the british sylheti member's perspective.... if possible.

J
Btw, just out of curiosity...would you marry a Beani Bazari girl?
Hypothetically speaking, any sylhet district girl is fair game except Habiganj.

I appreciate you for answering my question:applause:

Zeeshan
September 2, 2018, 04:55 AM
Wtf......

adamnsu
September 2, 2018, 05:41 AM
I don’t understand the underlying reason behind this question.

But how many British females do you see married in North America?

Roey Haque
September 2, 2018, 05:52 AM
Hypothetically speaking, any sylhet district girl is fair game except Habiganj.

I appreciate you for answering my question:applause:

Why not Habiganj?

shibal
September 2, 2018, 06:19 AM
I don’t understand the underlying reason behind this question.

But how many British females do you see married in North America?

The underlying reason is simple, there are 24 thousand bangladeshis in Canada, only a few thousands from that would be sylehti. I'm a 6ft tall fair skinned guy - who's often mistaken as Pakistani by Pakistanis in the mosque and non-sylhetis - preferring a tall, religious girl who also doesn't look like your average bengali girl. I think my chances of finding such a girl is exponentially higher among a population of 500,000 sylhetis in the UK, hence I ask how open are british sylheti familes in giving away their daughters to sylhetis families in other countries.

The only british born sylheti I know who moved into Canada is my Sasi, who married my sasa who was living in Canada around 1990.

The first gen young sylhetis in Canada are pretty different, a lot of them end up marrying into non-sylheti familes these days, usually those sylhetis that are marrying into non-sylheti familes are pretty liberal and not too religious either. As a result the demand for sylheti wife is not that stringent, and hence they don't even give a second thought about british sylhetis. I've probably attended 2 pure first gen Canadian sylheti weddings in the last decade - both weddings involved religious conservative families. The only sylheti diaspora imports into Canada I know of is my cousin who married a sylheti from Dubai, and another canadian sylheti guy who married and imported a sylheti girl from Saudi.

Taking all into account I can't really gauge the likelyhood of british sylhetis willing to move to Canada, because I don't think it's been attempted much; Hence another reason why I ask the question.

Why not Habiganj?

My Moulvibaazari family does not like habiganj people too much, as they are not religious enough and are interested in arts and music far more in addition to being more hindu influenced- something I also myself have personally observed from habiganj people in living in Canada. Also they don't speak proper sylheti.

adamnsu
September 2, 2018, 06:36 AM
The underlying reason is simple, there are 24 thousand bangladeshis in Canada, only a few thousands from that would be sylehti. I'm a 6ft tall fair skinned guy - who's often mistaken as Pakistani by Pakistanis in the mosque and non-sylhetis - preferring a tall, religious girl who also doesn't look like your average bengali girl. I think my chances of finding such a girl is exponentially higher among a population of 500,000 sylhetis in the UK, hence I ask how open are british sylheti familes in giving away their daughters to sylhetis families in other countries.

The only british born sylheti I know who moved into Canada is my Sasi, who married my sasa who was living in Canada around 1990.

The sylhetis in Canada are pretty different, a lot of them end up marrying into non-sylheti familes these days, usually those sylhetis that are marrying into non-sylheti familes are pretty liberal and not too religious either. As a result the demand for sylheti wife is not that stringent, and hence they don't even give a second thought about british sylhetis. I've probably attended 2 pure Canadian sylheti weddings in the last decade - both weddings involved religious conservative families. The only sylheti diaspora imports into Canada I know of is my cousin who married a sylheti from Dubai, and another canadian sylheti guy who married and imported a sylheti girl from Saudi.

Taking all into account I can't really gauge the likelyhood of british sylhetis willing to move to Canada, because I don't think it's been attempted much. Hence why I ask the question.

My Moulvibaazari family does not like habiganj people too much, as they are not religious enough and are more interested in art and music far more in addition to being more hindu influenced. Also they don't speak proper sylheti.

I hope you the best in your search. As you have just entered the realms of arranged marriage, it is quite common to be picky. TBH you should also forgive anyone reading your comments think that you are quite conceited about your non Bangladeshi looks and height.

Anyways, Sylethis are extremely tribal. From what I have seen they first prefer to marry someone from their own city in UK. Some traditional ones look for someone from Bangladesh l. Only one guy I saw married a Canadian. Girl came to UK, hated it and forced guy to move to Canada.

In terms of stats, are you saying there is 500k sylheti girl’s for marriage? If so then you have got your info quite wrong.

Also if you have seen so many Brit Sylethis surely you would have some contacts which have you the platform to see them?

shibal
September 2, 2018, 07:03 AM
I hope you the best in your search. As you have just entered the realms of arranged marriage, it is quite common to be picky. TBH you should also forgive anyone reading your comments think that you are quite conceited about your non Bangladeshi looks and height.

Anyways, Sylethis are extremely tribal. From what I have seen they first prefer to marry someone from their own city in UK. Some traditional ones look for someone from Bangladesh l. Only one guy I saw married a Canadian. Girl came to UK, hated it and forced guy to move to Canada.

In terms of stats, are you saying there is 500k sylheti girl’s for marriage? If so then you have got your info quite wrong.

Also if you have seen so many Brit Sylethis surely you would have some contacts which have you the platform to see them?

Thank you for answering my question my fellow Canadian.

Yes indeed I'm not really trying to show any pride in my looks, I'm just trying to justify why I'm looking for the girl I'm looking for.

I'm just answering the age old question when it comes to guys demanding insanely beautiful girls: "well have you looked at your self in the mirror?"

The total bengali population(both men and women) in the uk is almost 500,000, 95% of that 500, 000 bengali population is sylheti. So the odds are very high for finding the right girl I would say relatively speaking.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bangladeshi_diaspora

Yes we do have contacts/mediators in the Uk, family is planning on passing on a biodata to them sometime this week . The biggest factor really is how willing is the girl in moving.

adamnsu
September 2, 2018, 07:11 AM
Thank you for answering my question my fellow Canadian.

The total bengali population(both men and women) in the uk is almost 500,000, 95% of that 500, 000 bengali population is sylheti. So the odds are very high for finding the right girl I would say relatively speaking.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bangladeshi_diaspora

Yes we do have contacts/mediators in the Uk, family is planning on passing on a biodata to them sometime this week . The biggest factor really is how willing is the girl in moving.

The biggest factor is actually the girl has to like you first. You are not the only one picky. That’s why girls and boys here are getting married a bit later than they used to 10 years ago so I have heard.

Most girls I have seen here tend to marry close to their home town.

Educated families here don’t care much of which part of Syleth one is from as long as the family and the candidate come from a good family.

shibal
September 2, 2018, 07:21 AM
The biggest factor is actually the girl has to like you first. You are not the only one picky. That’s why girls and boys here are getting married a bit later than they used to 10 years ago so I have heard.

Most girls I have seen here tend to marry close to their home town.

Educated families here don’t care much of which part of Syleth one is from as long as the family and the candidate come from a good family.

Yes I agree that attraction is a factor as well, but before you even get talking with girl for the purpose of attraction, you might be screened out solely because you are not from England despite having checkmarks on everything else.

Yes indeed that's what I appreciate about sylheti people, they care more about family background and religion than education for the most part.

adamnsu
September 2, 2018, 08:38 AM
Yes indeed that's what I appreciate about sylheti people, they care more about family background and religion than education for the most part.

This is sadly the misinformed typical Sylheti attitude almost everywhere you go where they assume they are the benchmark for Bangladeshi society

Yankees
September 2, 2018, 12:07 PM
Interesting post. Welcome to BC Shibal.

let's see:
- atleast 5'5": check
- religious/pious: not a problem
- "fair skinned with non- bengali looking face": no worries, no one will be able to tell behind the niqab alhamdulillah. Just tell your friends she looks like Angelina Jolie.

Now the better question is, what can you offer a girl that she cant get in the UK?

Yankees
September 2, 2018, 12:11 PM

My Moulvibaazari family does not like habiganj people too much, as they are not religious enough and are interested in arts and music far more in addition to being more hindu influenced

Yea, who needs education, arts and music. Yuck.

ToBeFair
September 2, 2018, 12:12 PM
Now the better question is, what can you offer a girl that she cant get in the UK?

Oops!!!

al Furqaan
September 2, 2018, 12:36 PM

Why not Habiganj?

Sylhetis are just more insular than other Bangladeshis. I think the cultural differences are minor issues wherever they exist. Language barrier might be a hindrance for some since a lot of Sylhetis can't really speak shuddo bangla.

But it sometimes extends beyond that. Even being Sylheti is sometimes not enough for some people...Sylhetis often have prejudices against Sylhetis from certain other villages. For example, Golapganj and Beanibazar are in the same district (Sylhet district), in fact they are neighboring Upazillas, yet they are mortal enemies. Its kinda funny actually.

al Furqaan
September 2, 2018, 12:46 PM
Shibal bro, this doesn't even seem like a serious thread, but a few words of advice.

Its OK for someone to have a preference for whatever attribute you're looking for. You have that right. But the pickier you are a) the harder it will be for you to find a suitable spouse and b) people will criticize you for excessive pickiness. So if a girl only wants a doctor for a husband, or its a guy like you who wants his wife to be duudor lakhan shada, everyone has that right to preference without being judged. You want a wife from Sylhet? Nothing wrong with that...I do too and I don't even have rational reason for it. Some people their parents wouldn't accept a non-Sylheti spouse, but mine don't care.

But posting pics of random girls on a cricket forum just to make a point? Thats weird and uncalled for, bro.

Harping on and on about your "Pakistani" looks will come off as being conceited at the best and racist at the worst. There are "fair skinned" or "non-bengali" looking people from every district of Bangladesh. And there are plenty of "bengali" looking people from Sylhet. Religousity is also something that you will find everything off in all districts. Yes UK Sylhetis tend to appear as more "religious" but religiousness isn't defined by wearing hijab, or having a beard, or saying mashallah/subhanallah all the time, or even by going to jummah prayer every Friday.

Yankees
September 2, 2018, 12:55 PM
Shibal bhai, youre in luck. I happen to know the premier sylheti matchmaker in the UK. I've told him about your specific requirements and he found 3 girls. Please see below and if youre interested, we can talk next steps.

http://i64.tinypic.com/2628kzs.jpg

1) First up is lovely Amaya. As you can see, she is not short of looks. With a height of 5'8", she is sure to turn heads. She definitely has a wild side, I mean just look at the way she carelessly rides the swings. Why not tame her and make her your?

http://i63.tinypic.com/hx0pkn.jpg

2) ahh what have we here? Selfie queen? Baap re baap. As you can see, Sumaya is perhaps more British then Sylheti. What she lacks in piousness, she more than makes up for in her appearance. Look at those Pakistani looking eyes, the Persian chin, and those European fingers. A non-bengali looking girl fit for our bengali prince!

http://i68.tinypic.com/qzn1iw.jpg

3) Last but not least, we have the marvelous Mohona. Broad shoulders, head held high, a high school dropout, what more could your parents want? Definitely the most pious of the 3 - no Sir, no hindu influence in this household. But if you think she can't handle the modern society up in that frozen tundra you call Canada, then let me paraphrase a famous rapper and say what we have here is a lady in the sheets, alhamdulillah on the streets!

aklemalp
September 2, 2018, 01:13 PM
I'm sure I'll get a Sylheti gf before Shibal

adamnsu
September 2, 2018, 02:15 PM
TBH I was thinking this thread is quite similar to the theme to an earlier thread of that kid wanting advice on which uni to join a few months ago.

It’s like that Bangla song: tora jay ja boloish bhai amar shonar horin chai.

I think some of us have answered the OPs question but from what I have gathered he has already made his own assumptions and just wants one of us to yes man you have a better chance of bagging the girl of his dreams.

I think he has more chance of striking gold in Syleth itself as education doesn’t seem to be a factor for him and the population size is much more bigger. A girl from Bangladesh can be more easily seduced to leave the country as to her a tall husband who looks Pakistani and has a foreign passport is quite a lucrative catch. why would a British girl leave her family and friends and move all the way to Canada?

shibal
September 2, 2018, 02:17 PM
Shibal bhai, youre in luck. I happen to know the premier sylheti matchmaker in the UK. I've told him about your specific requirements and he found 3 girls. Please see below and if youre interested, we can talk next steps.

1) First up is lovely Amaya. As you can see, she is not short of looks. With a height of 5'8", she is sure to turn heads. She definitely has a wild side, I mean just look at the way she carelessly rides the swings. Why not tame her and make her your?

2) ahh what have we here? Selfie queen? Baap re baap. As you can see, Sumaya is perhaps more British then Sylheti. What she lacks in piousness, she more than makes up for in her appearance. Look at those Pakistani looking eyes, the Persian chin, and those European fingers. A non-bengali looking girl fit for our bengali prince!

3) Last but not least, we have the marvelous Mohona. Broad shoulders, head held high, a high school dropout, what more could your parents want? Definitely the most pious of the 3 - no Sir, no hindu influence in this household. But if you think she can't handle the modern society up in that frozen tundra you call Canada, then let me paraphrase a famous rapper and say what we have here is a lady in the sheets, alhamdulillah on the streets!

jazakallah khair brother:) for your satirical post:lol:. I really appreciate the help man. However a girl does not have to be niqab wearing for me at all, in fact I don't prefer that as well and neither does the Quran.

Neither am I looking for uneducated girl. I'm just looking for a girl who is striving to make the time for her deen in her dunya.

On a serious note, what are the sylheti girls like in New York city? The few that I met during my visit were extremely whitewashed.

Shibal bro, this doesn't even seem like a serious thread, but a few words of advice.

Its OK for someone to have a preference for whatever attribute you're looking for. You have that right. But the pickier you are a) the harder it will be for you to find a suitable spouse and b) people will criticize you for excessive pickiness. So if a girl only wants a doctor for a husband, or its a guy like you who wants his wife to be duudor lakhan shada, everyone has that right to preference without being judged. You want a wife from Sylhet? Nothing wrong with that...I do too and I don't even have rational reason for it. Some people their parents wouldn't accept a non-Sylheti spouse, but mine don't care.

But posting pics of random girls on a cricket forum just to make a point? Thats weird and uncalled for, bro.

Harping on and on about your "Pakistani" looks will come off as being conceited at the best and racist at the worst. There are "fair skinned" or "non-bengali" looking people from every district of Bangladesh. And there are plenty of "bengali" looking people from Sylhet. Religousity is also something that you will find everything off in all districts. Yes UK Sylhetis tend to appear as more "religious" but religiousness isn't defined by wearing hijab, or having a beard, or saying mashallah/subhanallah all the time, or even by going to jummah prayer every Friday.

Thanks for the advice bro. I only posted the pics because a poster straight up was mocking me for having a preference for a "egu re bangali laghe na" look. Again I only harped on what I looked like, so I don't come off as some random bengali guy demanding a good looking girl out of nowhere. I'm turning 28 years in a few months, although I'm very attracted to Pakistani girls, I never dared to chased them or any bengali girl in my life personally in Canada. For the patience, I'd like to think I'm allowed to have some stringent demands. I'm also very aware what I'm looking for is going to be tough hence I'd like to try my chances in the UK.

And yes I'm very aware there are a lot of fake hijabis out there in the UK, that's why my parents are very strict on family and girl background; that's something only a contact in the UK can investigate or can vouch for if the contact/mediator knows the girl and her family personally. The unique thing about the UK sylheti girls is that plenty of them have also gone to those islamic schools where they've been tought both islamic education and western education following the british school curriculum which allows them to get a good university education as well in addition to already having the islamic education.

adamnsu
September 2, 2018, 02:27 PM
Your 500,000 statistic of British Bangladeshis you gave me is now redundant now that you think a lot of British Sylheti girls go to Islamic schools. That will only be a small number. I wonder how and where you got these numbers from. Although I am not amazed as you appreciate Sylethis for the wrong reasons! 😁

shibal
September 2, 2018, 02:46 PM
Your 500,000 statistic if British Bangladeshis you gave me is now redundant now that you think a lot of British Sylheti girls go to Islamic schools. That will only be a small number. I wonder how and where you got these numbers from. Although I am not amazed as you appreciate Sylethis for the wrong reasons! ������

What's wrong with appreciating sylhetis for being good looking and religious?

Not saying sylhetis are only good looking, I've seen a lot of pretty non-sylheti girls as well. From what I've observed in Canada, those pretty non sylhetis are extremely liberal and white washed girls who enjoy drinking and partying. Not that sylheti girls don't do such things, as I'm pretty sure there are some as well, but I've seen and heard off far more non sylheti girls having such bad habits.

In the city where I live, a pretty muslim non-sylheti girl just recently married a hindu punjabi indian guy without getting him to convert; the entire non-sylheti community was blessing the marriage with "mashallah" celebrated the wedding very lasciviously; of course observing things like that leaves me with a bad impression. Again this my personal perspective from what I've observed in Canada, I do not mean any offense.:flag:

aklemalp
September 2, 2018, 02:49 PM
This is getting into a religious debate in 3, 2, 1, ....

adamnsu
September 2, 2018, 02:59 PM
What's wrong with appreciating sylhetis for being good looking and religious?

Not saying sylhetis are only good looking, I've seen a lot of pretty non-sylheti girls as well. From what I've observed in Canada, those pretty non sylhetis are extremely liberal and white washed girls who enjoy drinking and partying. Not that sylheti girls don't do such things, as I'm pretty sure there are some as well, but I've seen and heard off far more non sylheti girls having such bad habits.

In the city where I live, a pretty muslim non-sylheti girl just recently married a hindu punjabi indian guy without getting him to convert; the entire non-sylheti community was blessing the marriage with "mashallah" celebrated the wedding very lasciviously; of course observing things like that leaves me with a bad impression. Again this my personal perspective from what I've observed in Canada, I do not mean any offense.:flag:

The way you worded it previously , it kind of sounded like the rest of Bangladesh doesn’t give emphasis on religious beliefs. I didn’t say anything about being good looking. Hence my comment.

For a guy expecting his life partner to be religious you have a keen eye on analysing women 😁

And one big barrier to your grand sheme of things:your potential in laws would be a restaurant owner who most likely sell alcohol to run his business and 95% be from Syleth. How would your religious principles overlook such a thing?

al Furqaan
September 2, 2018, 03:00 PM
To inject some much needed comedy...lets just hope Shibal doesn't end up with one of these girls:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/X-XiUwoHi5g?start=227" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Zeeshan
September 2, 2018, 03:41 PM
And this is what feels like for a n00b to get slaughtered by a cricket legend. Jezus Christ Yanks... and here I thought I was the hitman.

Roey Haque
September 2, 2018, 04:55 PM

Why would such a thing leave you with a bad impression?

Zeeshan
September 2, 2018, 06:39 PM
Wtf......

I stand by.* NOT to confuse with standby remote

I still don't get the point of the thread.

Zeeshan
September 2, 2018, 06:40 PM
A time for Good ol' (NOT Jane Goodall!) "Google is your friend" insertion.

https://www.google.com/search?q=How+open+are+british+sylheti+girls+to+mar rying+North+American+born+sylheti+boys%3F&rlz=1C1GCEA_enUS780US780&oq=How+open+are+british+sylheti+girls+to+marrying+ North+American+born+sylheti+boys%3F&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i61l3&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

One World
September 2, 2018, 07:14 PM
My forefathers are from Habiganj, highly religious and also very much inclined to arts and science, what the people of Eastern Sylhet lack. I agree with Shibal, although I have in-laws from Borolekha(MoulviBazaar) directly in adjacent family, mostly people from Sylhet Shodor and MBazaar like to act racist and arrogant to Habiganj people. It is actually their defense mechanism as we are mostly advanced in education. If you look at current and previous cabinets it can make the picture clearer.
Also being born and brought up in Dhaka with maternal family linked to Gopalganj I had zero chance to acquire any accent which actually I am glad about :lol:

aklemalp
September 2, 2018, 08:29 PM
Crossing the pond might be a tough task for most British Sylheti girls?

One World
September 2, 2018, 08:57 PM
More good news about Shibal’s people

https://www.prothomalo.com/bangladesh/article/1555944/%E2%80%98%E0%A6%B9%E0%A6%BE%E0%A6%A4-%E0%A6%B2%E0%A6%AE%E0%A7%8D%E0%A6%AC%E0%A6%BE%E2%8 0%99-%E0%A6%AC%E0%A7%8D%E0%A6%AF%E0%A6%95%E0%A7%8D%E0%A 6%A4%E0%A6%BF%E0%A6%B8%E0%A6%B9-%E0%A7%A9-%E0%A6%AE%E0%A6%BE%E0%A6%A6%E0%A6%95-%E0%A6%AC%E0%A7%8D%E0%A6%AF%E0%A6%AC%E0%A6%B8%E0%A 6%BE%E0%A7%9F%E0%A7%80-%E0%A6%97%E0%A7%8D%E0%A6%B0%E0%A7%87%E0%A6%AA%E0%A 7%8D%E0%A6%A4%E0%A6%BE%E0%A6%B0

shibal
September 2, 2018, 10:20 PM
The way you worded it previously , it kind of sounded like the rest of Bangladesh doesn’t give emphasis on religious beliefs. I didn’t say anything about being good looking. Hence my comment.

For a guy expecting his life partner to be religious you have a keen eye on analysing women ������

And one big barrier to your grand sheme of things:your potential in laws would be a restaurant owner who most likely sell alcohol to run his business and 95% be from Syleth. How would your religious principles overlook such a thing?

Lol sylheti immigrants all over the world are the same. Even my father owns an indian restaurant:D: My father and mother have performed their Hajj duties alhamdullilah, but my dad went back to attending his restaurant again lol. Unfortunately the restaurant business is our livelyhood which payed for everything in our lives which included my education. No muslim in the entire world is perfect, but we should always strive to improve on our deen:)

More good news about Shibal’s people

https://www.prothomalo.com/bangladesh/article/1555944/%E2%80%98%E0%A6%B9%E0%A6%BE%E0%A6%A4-%E0%A6%B2%E0%A6%AE%E0%A7%8D%E0%A6%AC%E0%A6%BE%E2%8 0%99-%E0%A6%AC%E0%A7%8D%E0%A6%AF%E0%A6%95%E0%A7%8D%E0%A 6%A4%E0%A6%BF%E0%A6%B8%E0%A6%B9-%E0%A7%A9-%E0%A6%AE%E0%A6%BE%E0%A6%A6%E0%A6%95-%E0%A6%AC%E0%A7%8D%E0%A6%AF%E0%A6%AC%E0%A6%B8%E0%A 6%BE%E0%A7%9F%E0%A7%80-%E0%A6%97%E0%A7%8D%E0%A6%B0%E0%A7%87%E0%A6%AA%E0%A 7%8D%E0%A6%A4%E0%A6%BE%E0%A6%B0

Lol, uneducated low class people will always remain low class and deviant no matter where they are in the world; Bangladesh, Pakistan, India England, and etc. These kind of acts are not exclusive to Moulvibazar only.:)

Anways I apologize if I offended you and your gushti. A dude asked "why not Habiganj?" I just gave my explanation.

shibal
September 2, 2018, 10:33 PM
A time for Good ol' (NOT Jane Goodall!) "Google is your friend" insertion.

https://www.google.com/search?q=How+open+are+british+sylheti+girls+to+mar rying+North+American+born+sylheti+boys%3F&rlz=1C1GCEA_enUS780US780&oq=How+open+are+british+sylheti+girls+to+marrying+ North+American+born+sylheti+boys%3F&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i61l3&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

And as you can see no google search result can answer my question. Even asking on Quora won't do, because I will have to request answers from British bengalis, searching for british bengalis to request answers from is an impossible task on Quora. The the topic "british bengali" does not exist as a quora topic for british bengalis to follow or be an expert about.

al Furqaan
September 2, 2018, 10:45 PM
My forefathers are from Habiganj, highly religious and also very much inclined to arts and science, what the people of Eastern Sylhet lack. I agree with Shibal, although I have in-laws from Borolekha(MoulviBazaar) directly in adjacent family, mostly people from Sylhet Shodor and MBazaar like to act racist and arrogant to Habiganj people. It is actually their defense mechanism as we are mostly advanced in education. If you look at current and previous cabinets it can make the picture clearer.
Also being born and brought up in Dhaka with maternal family linked to Gopalganj I had zero chance to acquire any accent which actually I am glad about :lol:

Well I will say the legendary Syed Mujtaba Ali is from Moulvibazar (at least I think so). So its not all fogas from there. :D

Zeeshan
September 2, 2018, 10:46 PM
Post your pic yo.

We will Tinder you up.

Zeeshan
September 2, 2018, 11:47 PM
Asaad you spelled cringe wrong.

Oh wait. I have to explain it. Cuz nowadays people dont get what I am saying. I am about talking the video you fools.

Firebreaker
September 3, 2018, 12:37 AM
I think British Bangla women are fairly religious

adamnsu
September 3, 2018, 03:45 AM
Lol sylheti immigrants all over the world are the same. Even my father owns an indian restaurant:D: My father and mother have performed their Hajj duties alhamdullilah, but my dad went back to attending his restaurant again lol. Unfortunately the restaurant business is our livelyhood which payed for everything in our lives which included my education. No muslim in the entire world is perfect, but we should always strive to improve on our deen:)

I was expecting such a typical reply. You dont really want to address the issues and actually kind of beat around the bush bro as your answers are vague.

My point was specifically about selling alcohol to run a restaurant not running a restaurant alone. You had said the Quran doesnt like women wearing Niqab, can you tell me where it says it is permissible to sell alcohol?

Muslims I have come across have stopped either running a restaurant as they might need to serve alcohol or have taken another occupation. They are trying to improve but probably in Canada they might not be ready ?:D

You say you dont mean offence to others but if you read your own comments, its quite offensive to non Bangladeshis as you imply or directly say non Sylethis are not upto the mark. Probably you dont mix with the right kind of non Sylhetis because of the reason i will explain below.

The first time when I felt I was a different kind of Bangladeshi was when I mixed with Sylheti people in the UK! They are quite racist from my experience against non Sylethis.

Before you go on beating the drums for Sylethis in the UK, they are mixed up with alot of bad things which include drugs, drinking and partying you just need to go to East London areas near Mile End to witness all of this. Tax fraud, Benefit fraud, Political fraud etc are all majority done by Sylhetis as you had pointed out that 95% of ethnic Bangladeshis come from Sylhet.

That being said Sylethis, are some of the most hospitable and soft spoken people .

Yes I agree no one is perfect, but when the person cant see imperfections in themselves they will never learn to correct it. But what is hypocritical is they find faults with others.

adamnsu
September 3, 2018, 05:39 AM
I think British Bangla women are fairly religious

How did you come to that conclusion?

One World
September 3, 2018, 01:56 PM
Lol, uneducated low class people will always remain low class and deviant no matter where they are in the world; Bangladesh, Pakistan, India England, and etc. These kind of acts are not exclusive to Moulvibazar only.:)

Anways I apologize if I offended you and your gushti. A dude asked "why not Habiganj?" I just gave my explanation.

No offense but I just wanted to point out the vague superiority complex and self-contradiction in your claims. Like you said, similar as low class there is the opposite. You need serious effort to broaden your horizon. When world is moving on with AI and possible inhabitance in Moon, it is high time that your genration of Sylhetis denounce those existing myth and taboos, starts to understand that there is nothing called a language barrier, recognize better options than traditional ways and change their perspective about life and marriage.

Zeeshan
September 3, 2018, 02:05 PM
I had nothing to do with this.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/RWgyKDfFC_U/maxresdefault.jpg

Yankees
September 3, 2018, 02:11 PM
jazakallah khair brother:) for your satirical post:lol:. I really appreciate the help man. However a girl does not have to be niqab wearing for me at all, in fact I don't prefer that as well and neither does the Quran.

And this is what feels like for a n00b to get slaughtered by a cricket legend. Jezus Christ Yanks... and here I thought I was the hitman.

Most logical thing you both have written this thread. :D

On a serious note, what are the sylheti girls like in New York city? The few that I met during my visit were extremely whitewashed.

You cannot expect to find un-whitewashed girls searching in white countries. NY is one of the most liberal cities in the world, expect its inhabitants to be the same. NY girls (bengal, sylheti or otherwise) are unique in their attitude and demeanor. Come on down and see for yourself, it will be worth the trek.

But again, the underlying questing is what can you offer the girl for her to leave the greatest city in the world to move to...winnipeg? You don't have to answer me, just something to think about.

Roey Haque
September 3, 2018, 02:14 PM
It's funny how people can dispel or reinforce stereotypes. I am lucky I know many Sylhetis in NY who love education, arts, sciences, and inter faith marriages, and still have Sylheti pride. That to me is the real Sylhet, not some cousin marrying arabized welfare fraud from East London or Scarborough.

Zeeshan
September 3, 2018, 04:09 PM
Why drag Scarborough into this?

Roni_uk
September 4, 2018, 09:51 AM

Post of the year :floor::floor::floor::floor:

On a related note - why hasn't anyone come up with BD version of Shaadi.com yet?

and to the thread opener - as long as you can speak Sylheti, any UK Sylheti girl will marry you :)

adamnsu
September 4, 2018, 10:02 AM
Post of the year :floor::floor::floor::floor:

On a related note - why hasn't anyone come up with BD version of Shaadi.com yet?

and to the thread opener - as long as you can speak Sylheti, any UK Sylheti girl will marry you :)

A BD web matrimonial site will have stiff competition from the traditional methods of match making and probably not feasible. I heard the newer and more trendy option is to visit match making dinners specifically for the Sylheti community.

I think you are giving the thread a rather over optimistic pump by saying any girl will marry him, although I am sure that is what he was looking for and one he has already assumed based on his comments :lol: .

Jadukor
September 4, 2018, 10:12 AM
Is this kind of racist views common with a lot of Sylheties? Unbelievable!

Tigers_eye
September 4, 2018, 10:17 AM
Where to start? Welcome to BC?
+++
Bangali with non-Bangali looks.
Bangali girl (where the average height is under 5 feet or barely 5'1") must be 5' 5".

Sylheti but not from Hobigonj.
UK resident but willing to move. Why don't you move? (It would be a hijra for the sake of your next generation. Plus closer to Motherland Sylhet.)
+++
The whole approach is wrong.
Seek for 15 years older pious rich widow. I dare say, that would be considered as Sunnah as well, we all IGNORE this part. May be there is more Barakah in it and we don't know.
+++
Finally what is your profession? Your income level. As a parent (of early 20s girls), that is what most of them would ask first. Will my daughter be financially secured?

adamnsu
September 4, 2018, 10:22 AM
Is this kind of racist views common with a lot of Sylheties? Unbelivable!

From my experience, it is more common with the Sylhetis who have not mixed much with non Sylethis and straight ended up working in the restaurant or benefits trade in the UK. They then implant this bad impression about other Bangladeshis (who they think are all Dhakaayees) to their children.

Anyone who has been a student in the UK and has been in East London will most likely have a British Sylheti racist story to share. But this racism is harmless, albeit being very rude and disappointing as we all are originate from the same country.

roman
September 4, 2018, 10:23 AM
Please contact Mufi. He is the Owner of BC Sylhet fan club, and he knows many sylheti girls.

roman
September 4, 2018, 10:25 AM
From my experience, it is more common with the Sylhetis who have not mixed much with non Sylethis and straight ended up working in the restaurant or benefits trade in the UK. They then implant this bad impression about other Bangladeshis (who they think are all Dhakaayees) to their children.

Anyone who has been a student in the UK and has been in East London will most likely have a British Sylheti racist story to share. But this racism is harmless, albeit being very rude and disappointing as we all are originate from the same country.

Dont understand the grudge sylhetis have against Dhaka Polapains. Dont they know that Dhakar pola very very smart?

Roni_uk
September 4, 2018, 10:28 AM
Dont understand the grudge sylhetis have against Dhaka Polapains. Dont they know that Dhakar pola very very smart?

its the language barrier more than anything else... Amra Dhakaiya Maati unlike them

adamnsu
September 4, 2018, 10:31 AM

:lol: I think now after the song came out they are learning Dhakar Pola kemon

Sylheti's coming out with some cheesy numbers too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7Jr1wxCpuQ

adamnsu
September 4, 2018, 10:33 AM
Please contact Mufi. He is the Owner of BC Sylhet fan club, and he knows many sylheti girls.

Not sure if the immortal Ghatok Pakhi Bhai can assist this Shibal dude

http://ghotokpakhivaibd.com/ws/

Btw the Bird Pakhi Bhai helping others catch Birds (mind the pun)

adamnsu
September 4, 2018, 10:37 AM
What I want to know is why this Shibal came to a cricket website and opened his first thread and first comment by glorifying himself and looking for a companion. I know other random people trying to sell fake goods but this seems suspicious to me.

I have a feeling he is using an alias and uses another nick when he chats about cricket.

Also the meaning of SHIBAL in korean is quite rude.

aklemalp
September 4, 2018, 10:54 AM
Probably Firebreaker

Jadukor
September 4, 2018, 10:55 AM
Takes pride in being confused for a pakistani.. just wow

aklemalp
September 4, 2018, 10:57 AM
But we have to admit, it is a 'hit' thread.

roman
September 4, 2018, 11:38 AM
Takes pride in being confused for a pakistani.. just wow

Our beloved Shahadat Hossain also loved the fact that he being confused for a Pakistani.

Shingara
September 4, 2018, 02:24 PM
This very true for Sylhetis. One Sylheti guy once said the cultures of other districts are too different from Sylheti culture.

Of course I did not believe it. The main reason is some inherent bias (to put it mildly and I am speaking in general and not referring any negative about the opening poster in any way). This is common throughout in BD.

Ever heard of BNCC? Barisal, Noakhali, Comilla, and Chadpur - means automatic blacklist with regards to marriage for many in BD. No amount of reasoning can overturn it.

The same thing is also prevalent among Pakistani and Arab culture. Especially the girl's dad will be OK marrying off her daughter with a cab driver of same ethnicity over marrying her to a prince of another nation. Other ethnicity = over my dead body.

Ay hay, amar bou to Barishaler!

Shingara
September 4, 2018, 02:41 PM
shibal,
-is not a rarity among BD girls. e.g. Bidya Sinha Saha Mim
-Non-Bengali face ... you know our girls don't look like kajer buas, right? e.g. Bidya Sinha Saha Mim, Mahiya Mahi, Pori Moni, Eamin Haque Bobby, Borsha

Now, for some serious conversations...
British Syleti girls are no way in hell interested in going abroad to cold Canada. They are content with marrying here in the UK, where they have their entire dynasties and friends living here. They get free money ( govt. benefits ) and free flats ( govt. discounted ) and their boyfriends drive the latest Audis. The in-laws will ask you for £50k as den mohor.

Now, tell me, do you drive an Audi A9? or have £50k?

Dekhen, desher kuno meyeke potaitey parena naki.

shibal
September 4, 2018, 02:47 PM
Wow! It's amazing and how unnecessarily butthurt a bunch of you got just because a sylheti guy said he wants to marry pretty but religious sylheti girl. My opening post did not have any statements or writing to put down the non-sylheti community or any reasons to why I don't want to go for a non-sylheti what so ever, yet you guys just had to go out fishing for dirt by asking a sylheti guy "why sylheti?" Might as well put down pathans for wanting pathans, same goes for Punjabis, Gujratis, Malays, Marathis etc.

shibal
September 4, 2018, 03:01 PM
shibal,
-is not a rarity among BD girls. e.g. Bidya Sinha Saha Mim
-Non-Bengali face ... you know our girls don't look like kajer buas, right? e.g. Bidya Sinha Saha Mim, Mahiya Mahi, Pori Moni, Eamin Haque Bobby, Borsha

Now, for some serious conversations...
British Syleti girls are no way in hell interested in going abroad to cold Canada. They are content with marrying here in the UK, where they have their entire dynasties and friends living here. They get free money ( govt. benefits ) and free flats ( govt. discounted ) and their boyfriends drive the latest Audis. The in-laws will ask you for £50k as den mohor.

Now, tell me, do you drive an Audi A9? or have £50k?

Dekhen, desher kuno meyeke potaitey parena naki.

Thank you for giving me a concise answer sir.

aklemalp
September 4, 2018, 03:02 PM
One thing I can assure you is that you'll not be finding a Sylheti girls on this forum; matter of fact, no girls.

shibal
September 4, 2018, 03:12 PM
One thing I can assure you is that you'll not be finding a Sylheti girls on this forum; matter of fact, no girls.

Nah man I ain't looking for no stranger sylheti girl. The process for looking for a girl is pretty rigorous for my family, it's not just a no-body pretty sylheti girl we pick from the streets of anywhere. You got to do family background checks, and see if the family is related distantly to some sylheti family you know and so and such.....

All I was looking for was a british sylheti member's perspective that's it.

aklemalp
September 4, 2018, 03:17 PM
Nah man I ain't looking for no stranger sylheti girl. The process for looking for a girl is pretty rigorous for my family, it's not just a no-body pretty sylheti girl we pick from the streets of anywhere. You got to do family background checks, and see if the family is related distantly to some sylheti family you know and so and such.....

All I was looking for was a british sylheti member's perspective that's it.

After reading this, I wouldn't wanna be scrutinized like this.

Good luck with the search bro:up:

al Furqaan
September 4, 2018, 03:42 PM
Is this kind of racist views common with a lot of Sylheties? Unbelivable!

This guy could be a troll, to be honest. Or he's 12 years old. Harping on about his height and fair skin just seems fake to me. Even if one is all that, why would you bother to brag about it. On top of that this thread is his first post. So he's obviously here to troll us.

Sylhetis definitely can think of themselves as different from Bengalis, and thats always a fine line to having supremacist beliefs. I'm sure there are Sylhetis who think Bengalis are inferior, but they would be an OVERWHELMING minority.

In fact, most Sylhetis think they are Bengali (a debatable topic) so its not like they say "Bengalis are inferior" they just think they are the real Bengalis.

al Furqaan
September 4, 2018, 03:55 PM
Wow! It's amazing and how unnecessarily butthurt a bunch of you got just because a sylheti guy said he wants to marry pretty but religious sylheti girl. My opening post did not have any statements or writing to put down the non-sylheti community or any reasons to why I don't want to go for a non-sylheti what so ever, yet you guys just had to go out fishing for dirt by asking a sylheti guy "why sylheti?" Might as well put down pathans for wanting pathans, same goes for Punjabis, Gujratis, Malays, Marathis etc.

No one really cares who another forum member chooses as a spouse. But you spent your very first post here posting borderline racist and religiously intolerant stuff (Habiganjis being more "Hindu"). Even if that stuff is true, keep it to yourself. No one will impose their views on you, but you need to have enough respect not to do that to someone.

I'm from Moulvibazar too so afni amar deshor manush kintu elan divisive maat khoyyar dorkar asil ni? Bala kisu koite na farle chup chaap thaka usit.

SportingBD
September 4, 2018, 03:59 PM
In fact, most Sylhetis think they are Bengali (a debatable topic) so its not like they say "Bengalis are inferior" they just think they are the real Bengalis.

We are Bangladeshis because we were born in Bangladesh.

We are Sylhetis because that is our language, our language is not Bengali (not sure if it makes sense).

SportingBD
September 4, 2018, 04:01 PM
Yes.

This poster seems to be 100% legit troll, disguised as a Sylheti. Enjoying his holiday on troll mode.

roman
September 4, 2018, 04:01 PM
Is sylheti a language or is it a dialect?

SportingBD
September 4, 2018, 04:03 PM

I see it as a language, I am sure other sylhetis see it the same.

Google say's Sylheti is an Eastern Indo-Aryan language.

adamnsu
September 4, 2018, 04:05 PM

Yes your first post didn’t say anything racist but your following ones did. TBH I don’t think anyone cares really who you get married to , but because of the things you are highlighting which have nothing really to do with your underlying question, most of us are getting a good chuckle at your expense.

TBH your whole manner in which you approached this is rather fishy and questionable.

Zeeshan
September 4, 2018, 04:07 PM
Again... I re-peat. wtf is going on...

Who married Diana's sister Niobe?

Zeeshan
September 4, 2018, 04:08 PM
Who are the goods guys vs the bad guys in this thread? Eternal Armaggadon can't just handwave it away.

adamnsu
September 4, 2018, 04:11 PM

It is actually a language and has influences from Persia and Arabic as well and was made during the time of Shahjalal. I heard it had its own alphabet as well

Zeeshan
September 4, 2018, 04:11 PM
shibal - let's keep it real simple

Do you want to get laid? Yes or no.

SportingBD
September 4, 2018, 04:13 PM
It is actually a language and has influences from Persia and Arabic as well and was made during the time of Shahjalal. I heard it had its own alphabet as well

No it does not. :)

The alphabets etc exactly the same as Bangla.

Zeeshan
September 4, 2018, 04:14 PM
Well then derailment it is. I thought we waitin' on the decoupling meter to gauge it out though...

adamnsu
September 4, 2018, 04:17 PM

It was previously written in a different script called Sylheti Nagari

al Furqaan
September 4, 2018, 04:18 PM

Yeah it does. Sylheti nagari script. Its not used nowadays but there is a nascent movement to bring it back, so who knows in 20 years they might start publishing newspapers books websites in Sylheti language. But even the Sylheti people would have to learn how to read and write it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sylheti_Nagari

roman
I see it as a language, I am sure other sylhetis see it the same.

Google say's Sylheti is an Eastern Indo-Aryan language.

Sylheti or Syloti (সিলেটী Sileṭi or ছিলটী Silôṭi) is an Eastern Indo-Aryan language, primarily spoken in the Sylhet Division of Bangladesh and the Barak Valley region of southern Assam, India. This language is considered a dialect of the Bengali language by the government of Bangladesh.

This is what Google says. And I think sylhetis will be a different language if the alphabets were somewhat different than bangla alphabets. If nagari script makes a way back, probably then it will have a stronger ground calling Sylheti as a language.

aklemalp
We learn something new everyday. I thought all Bangladeshis speak the same language....

Zeeshan
September 4, 2018, 04:19 PM
Great then. Tahole gurmukhi niyei ba discuch (NOT Hercules grabbing his crotch at Athens!) korii na kano....

SportingBD
September 4, 2018, 04:20 PM
Sylheti or Syloti (সিলেটী Sileṭi or ছিলটী Silôṭi) is an Eastern Indo-Aryan language, primarily spoken in the Sylhet Division of Bangladesh and the Barak Valley region of southern Assam, India. This language is considered a dialect of the Bengali language by the government of Bangladesh.

This is what Google says. And I think sylhetis will be a different language if the alphabets were somewhat different that bangla alphabets. This is so confusing. Need to see a valid source to show why Sylheti is a different language and not a dialect

By the Bangladeshi government, not sure its by the Sylheti people :lol:

Zeeshan
September 4, 2018, 04:20 PM
Or for naksh - the pattern from which our word 'naksha' derive I do not doubt.

aklemalp
September 4, 2018, 04:21 PM
Thread's gone nuclear.

SportingBD
September 4, 2018, 04:21 PM
It was previously written in a different script called Sylheti Nagari

Yeah it does. Sylheti nagari script. Its not used nowadays but there is a nascent movement to bring it back, so who knows in 20 years they might start publishing newspapers books websites in Sylheti language. But even the Sylheti people would have to learn how to read and write it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sylheti_Nagari

Interesting, I read the Bangla alphabets when I studied Bengali..briefly.

I read book one, like each Friday the imams use to teach us bangla in UK.

Zeeshan
September 4, 2018, 04:22 PM
Or Voynich, Maya, Coptic, Black Panther Ethiopian, cursive Burmese, Thai, Navajo smoke alarm, semaphores, braille, barcodes, QR code, match adda's ellipsis, Shamim's chuckle.....

I mean.

Anything goes.

Zeeshan
September 4, 2018, 04:24 PM
Sirens.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Df9dW6ASbLs" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

al Furqaan
September 4, 2018, 04:24 PM

Some sylhetis will say its a seperate language.

Others will say its just a dialect of Bangla.

I see merit with both, but lean towards the former so I can say I'm [somewhat] trilingual, lol. No, no Spanish.

Zeeshan
September 4, 2018, 04:27 PM
Or for naksh - the pattern from which our word 'naksha' derive I do not doubt.

It's actually Naskh, you queer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naskh_(script)

al Furqaan
September 4, 2018, 04:28 PM
We learn something new everyday. I thought all Bangladeshis speak the same language....

Nah. Bengali (various dialects), Chattgayya (which is also a seperate language but classified as bengali like Sylheti is), Sylheti, Urdu, Chakma, and I just recently learned there's a language called Rangpuri spoken in Rangpur. Not sure if thats the Rangpur "dialect" or not but I recently met a guy from Rangpur and he told me Rangpur dialect is "not as different as Sylheti" so he was implying that Rangpur dialect is still Bangla but Sylheti is not, at last in his opinion.

roman
September 4, 2018, 04:31 PM
Barishailla and Noa khali dialects deserve to be a language too if Sylheti/Chatgaiya get language status

Zeeshan
September 4, 2018, 04:32 PM
Divide and conquer. Hmmm which Carthage general said that before.

Zeeshan
September 4, 2018, 04:33 PM
Will it be TOO offensive if I drop these by?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bengali_alphabet

https://www.omniglot.com/writing/bengali.htm

Zeeshan
September 4, 2018, 04:35 PM
Zunaid's link got shoutout from the second one.

http://www.virtualbangladesh.com/culture/bangla-bengali/

Damn that dude could write n entertain.

But dare I nudge anyone towards rigor and research.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_of_Bangladesh

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sylheti_language

Zeeshan
September 4, 2018, 04:40 PM
And don't tell you read all that in 2 seconds. We already heard that bullshit before judiciary committee today.

Zeeshan
September 4, 2018, 04:43 PM
Having browsed this site you have decided to visit Bangladesh, eh?

http://www.virtualbangladesh.com/visiting-bangladesh/destination-bangladesh/

Guess Zunaid is an incorrigible Canuck....

eh?

aklemalp
September 4, 2018, 04:49 PM
Nah. Bengali (various dialects), Chattgayya (which is also a seperate language but classified as bengali like Sylheti is), Sylheti, Urdu, Chakma, and I just recently learned there's a language called Rangpuri spoken in Rangpur. Not sure if thats the Rangpur "dialect" or not but I recently met a guy from Rangpur and he told me Rangpur dialect is "not as different as Sylheti" so he was implying that Rangpur dialect is still Bangla but Sylheti is not, at last in his opinion.

Excuse my ignorance on the topic. From what I've gathered-- Bengali is the official language of the land. The others you've mentioned are similar to the different states in India having their own language, I presume?

Now the dialects bit is really interesting. One is more guttural than the other? Pronounciation of vowels, etc?

Zeeshan
September 4, 2018, 05:19 PM
Safe to assume OP got countertrolled. Welcome to BC! :)

al Furqaan
September 4, 2018, 05:35 PM
Excuse my ignorance on the topic. From what I've gathered-- Bengali is the official language of the land. The others you've mentioned are similar to the different states in India having their own language, I presume?

Now the dialects bit is really interesting. One is more guttural than the other? Pronounciation of vowels, etc?

India and Pakistan are much larger countries than Bangladesh and much more diverse. So its probably not that useful comparing.

I can't say anything about any language other than Bengali and Sylheti. Sylheti is I guess more sing-songy than Bengali, and emphasizes certain sounds ("s" sounds, and "f" sounds) where Bengali would use "ch" sounds and "p" sounds). By sing-songy I mean Sylheti sounds like if an Italian person tried to speak Bengali. You know how Italian has this up and down quality to it? Sylheti has that too, but Bengali does not. The other example I heard is that Sylheti sounds like if an Arab tried to speak Bengali. This is because Sylheti has a very rough "kh" sound similar to Urdu and Arabic (maybe Persian too). For example the word for aunt "khala" is pronounced identically in Urdu and Sylheti, but different in Bengali.

Most of the above is based on hearing my family speak both languages.

For a direct comparison this is the best video I could find. The girl says the same phrases in both Bengali and then in Sylheti. So you can get an idea of what I'm tlaking about.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/WXB_qJ9n1oU" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Zeeshan
September 4, 2018, 05:38 PM
Don't forget we also got one in burqah. I say Shibal has hit the jackpot.

Zeeshan
September 4, 2018, 05:40 PM
I can't say anything about any language other than Bengali and Sylheti. Sylheti is I guess more sing-songy than Bengali, and emphasizes certain sounds ("s" sounds, and "f" sounds) where Bengali would use "ch" sounds and "p" sounds). By sing-songy I mean Sylheti sounds like if an Italian person tried to speak Bengali. You know how Italian has this up and down quality to it? Sylheti has that too, but Bengali does not. The other example I heard is that Sylheti sounds like if an Arab tried to speak Bengali. This is because Sylheti has a very rough "kh" sound similar to Urdu and Arabic (maybe Persian too). For example the word for aunt "khala" is pronounced identically in Urdu and Sylheti, but different in Bengali.

And here I was curious as to your posh Bangla accent. :p

al Furqaan
September 4, 2018, 06:35 PM
And here I was curious as to your posh Bangla accent. :p

My bengali accent is dope. Only a few words have a Sylheti accent :D

shibal
September 4, 2018, 06:49 PM
No one really cares who another forum member chooses as a spouse. But you spent your very first post here posting borderline racist and religiously intolerant stuff (Habiganjis being more "Hindu"). Even if that stuff is true, keep it to yourself. No one will impose their views on you, but you need to have enough respect not to do that to someone.

I'm from Moulvibazar too so afni amar deshor manush kintu elan divisive maat khoyyar dorkar asil ni? Bala kisu koite na farle chup chaap thaka usit.

Ami kita bhad huisi? afne amare ziagaiso zudi ami kunnodin "beanibazzari girl prefer hormu ni?" Ami reply horsi by saying ami any sylhet district girl prefer hori except habigonj.

Ami zudi hoitam Beanibazzari ami prefer hori na, Would you still call me racist?

Some guy asked me "why not habiganj?" I gave my opinion on the cultural differences; differences in ideologies involved - which included mentioning more hindu influenced habigonj people relatively speaking, and you call that racism?

Yikes, might as well call all the posters who generalized that the sylheti girls in britian being all burqa wearing and niqab wearing racist as well.

Also why you keep harping me for describing myself. The only reason I described myself is to give reason why I would be looking in Britian for a girl that looks similar to me - I have the ideal type of girl I want as well ya know like every single boy in the world does.

Even If wrote my post without describing myself,guranteed someone on this thread would have me asked "wtf do I look like to be demanding such a girl?" lol, and "why would I be looking in the UK?"

Zeeshan
September 4, 2018, 06:57 PM
My bengali accent is dope. Only a few words have a Sylheti accent :D

That I wouldn't deny. I just didn't know you were a hunkjuice in Bengali too. Guess the prudent point is how do you keep them at bay off Instagram?

Zeeshan
September 4, 2018, 06:58 PM
Suddenly the OP doesn't give a newcomer's vibe does h..she? CIA? Mossad? Identify yourself OP.

shibal
September 4, 2018, 07:13 PM
Suddenly the OP doesn't give a newcomer's vibe does h..she? CIA? Mossad? Identify yourself OP.

I'm just your average hockey loving Canadian, who enjoys the occasional double double from Tim Hortons.:)

Zeeshan
September 4, 2018, 07:24 PM
Yeah. The day I am back from Canada and mention it and SUDDENLY you mention these?!?!?!? Oh. Why have I been so blind to see this comin' 50 feet away, 2000 moves ahead? :umm: What a blinder!

Bad Zeeshan Bad!

al Furqaan
September 4, 2018, 08:13 PM
Yikes, might as well call all the posters who generalized that the sylheti girls in britian being all burqa wearing and niqab wearing racist as well.

That was in bad taste as well. Respect is two way street. Doesn't excuse your posts though.

Also why you keep harping me for describing myself. The only reason I described myself is to give reason why I would be looking in Britian for a girl that looks similar to me - I have the ideal type of girl I want as well ya know like every single boy in the world does.

Bro this is a cricket forum, not a matrimonial site. The tone of your post was one that gave an impression of looking down at anyone who looks "typically bengali".

Even If wrote my post without describing myself,guranteed someone on this thread would have me asked "wtf do I look like to be demanding such a girl?" lol, and "why would I be looking in the UK?"

Sure. But thats your right. If you wanna look for Kate Middleton, thats your prerogative. But don't put others down even if they don't measure up to the standards you prefer.

al Furqaan
September 4, 2018, 10:34 PM
But here's a tutorial for anyone interested in matrimony.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/k0c46jEk7T0" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yankees
September 4, 2018, 11:03 PM
^^ is this guy suppose to be funny?

adamnsu
September 5, 2018, 01:52 AM
From what I have noticed among the trolls in here they will neither tell the truth and stick with the lie and start dodging questions or giving vague answers

None of us will make an decent person out of him but hope his wife has better luck. 😁

Zeeshan
September 5, 2018, 05:41 AM

You don't detect a pattern in Alfie's sense of humor?

al Furqaan
September 5, 2018, 12:25 PM
You don't detect a pattern in Alfie's sense of humor?

And you can?

Lets hear your assessment Sage Zeeshan!

al Furqaan
September 5, 2018, 12:26 PM

Well try this one then:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/euFph5qXtYQ" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

One World
September 5, 2018, 02:15 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/MCNLkg26J3M" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nobody can beat Taher Shah and his I2I

Shadow
September 5, 2018, 02:35 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/YOYgqpGI1F4" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Tigers_eye
September 5, 2018, 03:00 PM
shibal - let's keep it real simple

Do you want to get laid? Yes or no.Waaa!!! Is that a proposal? Dang Zee!!!

He no Troll.
+++
Welcome to BC. We will get along fine.

Zeeshan
September 5, 2018, 04:50 PM
I am still recuvvin from Mijan's 3 inch coup de grace. Didn't know he had't in 'm.

Zeeshan
September 5, 2018, 04:51 PM
And you can?

Lets hear your assessment Sage Zeeshan!

That's Savant to you, Sire.

mufi_02
September 6, 2018, 08:43 AM
ahh a sylethi thread!!

I was in Toronto for the long weekend and saw this -- World Sylhet Convention LOL.

http://jalalabadassociation.ca/wsc2018/

As you guys know, I will be there and represent the BC Sylhet Club. Any interested BC members, please contact me for a discount.

Tigers_eye
September 6, 2018, 09:23 AM
I am still recuvvin from Mijan's 3 inch coup de grace. Didn't know he had't in 'm.Once upon a time I was the real slim shaddy (no guns though). :D Them days are long gone. You grow up. Smell the roses. Change for the better. :)

Tigers_eye
September 6, 2018, 09:27 AM
ahh a sylethi thread!!

I was in Toronto for the long weekend and saw this -- World Sylhet Convention LOL.

http://jalalabadassociation.ca/wsc2018/

As you guys know, I will be there and represent the BC Sylhet Club. Any interested BC members, please contact me for a discount.
Chief guest: Abul Mal Abdul Muhit. :lol: Khek!!!! :facepalm: Ar kau chilo na? Dorkar hoiley amakey boltey parto. :big_hug:

One World
September 6, 2018, 09:34 AM
^That link might be made up by the poster himself, who knows.

I am just mesmerized by some of the looks of few committee members.

As you guys know, I will be there and represent the BC Sylhet Club. Any interested BC members, please contact me for a discount

Chief guest: Abul Mal Abdul Muhit. Khek!!!! Ar kau chilo na? Dorkar hoiley amakey boltey parto.

I doubt TE has any Sylheti connection.

If you want an IT professional currently leading a team at a hospital ranked as number one in US also a doctorate and an adjunct faculty at a renowned university, for a special guest let me know. The only thorn in this rose is he does not have any accent and ancestral home is Habiganj, not Sylhet proper.

mufi_02
September 6, 2018, 09:40 AM
^That link might be made up by the poster himself, who knows.

I am just mesmerized by some of the looks of few committee members.

its a real convention. hosted by Jalalabad Association. They are everywhere.

not sure how you think I created this website lol. There were posters plastered all around Vic Park in Toronto and I am pretty sure you can find same in Jackson Heights.

Tigers_eye
September 6, 2018, 09:51 AM
I doubt TE has any Sylheti connection...Maney ki ei gula? Uchho shorey protibad korlam.

Amar shomondhi'r ma'r bari Sylhet. Shaad Mama, koi apney? Jokhon dorkar hoi tokhon udhao. kisu ekta bolen eder'kay. :waiting:

Zeeshan
September 6, 2018, 02:20 PM
Once upon a time I was the real slim shaddy (no guns though). :D Them days are long gone. You grow up. Smell the roses. Change for the better. :)

Aight Gramps. Dun shoot no un tho'. And that's enough ambien textin' for ya today.

Zeeshan
September 6, 2018, 02:25 PM
Eat give no work for people in Toronto? FFS, yayy achieving!!! Whooohooooo. Smitily politickin like Real Madrid's ploy vs Barc (I don't even know why I am sayin' this. Guess tryin too hard to be too hip too droppin in soccer (football for you Yanks) references since sooooo got bored being raquetball, bowling, tennis, rugby, squash, crochet and capoeira champ and cranking out soccer for plateau but hey!)... or say like those Madame Defarge dingbats while she sews and sews as men slice arm...

Yayyy freedom.

al Furqaan
September 6, 2018, 02:53 PM
This thread is still alive?

aklemalp
September 6, 2018, 03:00 PM
Shibal hooked up?

adamnsu
September 6, 2018, 04:28 PM
Shibal hooked up?

I can bet he is still lurking in the shadows.

aklemalp
September 6, 2018, 04:48 PM
I can bet he is still lurking in the shadows.

The shadows are vast.

adamnsu
September 6, 2018, 05:06 PM
The shadows are vast.

Hence he has a lot of hiding space and doesn’t have much brightness in him

Zeeshan
September 6, 2018, 06:44 PM
The shadows are vast.

Do you have friends Pramanand? I mean in real life- outside BC.

Sorry to get you center mass.

aklemalp
September 6, 2018, 07:25 PM
Do you have friends Pramanand? I mean in real life- outside BC.

Sorry to get you center mass.

Yes.

Many.

Females.

Antora
September 6, 2018, 09:00 PM
Logged in after a while to see what's happening, only to find this thread. Couldn't read past the 3rd page...

Harping on about fair skin and height as if it's the only thing to put on the table, not to mention feeling pride in racist narrative and categorising Syletis vs Others?? No wonder we as a society can not move forward from the stone ages.

Time for me to log off again, bye:wave:

Zeeshan
September 6, 2018, 11:21 PM
Antora (and to others whom it may concern)

Racism is a serious accusation. If you think you have been slighted either use the report button or set himself right like a strong, confident, mature adult young woman that you are now.

Sometimes copping out with a smarmy 'bye-bye' emoji is nothing but spiritual bypassing. You are complicit. By your virtue of very silence, you support the odious behavior.

As for the word being diluted to its very core meaning par abus de langage, when you throw around the 'racism' willy-nilly it is a grave insult to the very people in whose country you were born who suffered REAL racism.

Intense self-loathing with residual of feudal serfdom of classism but racism it is not.

Straighten him up if you think he rubbed you the wrong way. But don't back down passive-aggresive with a tone of 'it's-not-my-job-anyway-at-least-losers-spend-their-time-on-BC' cuz dear that ain't nuthin more than another form of egoic manipulation.

Haze em while you can. Lemme know if you need anyback girl. I am already late for my room clearance drill...