PDA

View Full Version : Modest Bashar Delighted With Ton

chinaman
May 29, 2004, 05:08 PM
Rabeed Imam from St. Lucia

You won’t find a more different character on and off the field. Habibul Bashar could have been named Habibul Bashful for the way he goes about his daily life. But if his apparent introvert nature is seen as an insight into his cricketing abilities, think twice.

With a bat in hand, the 32-year-old is a pure demon. Time and again he has proved unstoppable and as long as he’s there at the crease, runs will flow irrespective of what the opposition has to offer. The 113-run gem on the opening day of the first Test against the four-pronged West Indies pace attack at the Beausejour Stadium was another demonstration of what Bashar is all about.

Prior to the game, much had been said about the home side’s pace battery and how they might make the Bangladesh batsmen hop. But Bashar was literally grinning at the prospect because he had his own equation: more pace bowlers = more short balls = more runs!

And it went exactly according to the script. The more the likes of Fidel Edwards, Jermaine Lawson and Tino Best pitched them short, the faster they were being despatched to the boundary with effortless pulls and hooks, Bashar’s favourite strokes. By the time he had finished, there were 15 fours in all and the chanceless effort took just 131 balls. Not easy force such dominance after coming out to bat in only the second ball of the match following the first ball loss of opener Hannan Sarker.

“Actually I didn’t get the time to feel the nerves. I was out there before I could even settle down on my seat in the dressing room. Then the first ball hit the middle of the bat and I knew that if I stuck around runs would come,” said Bashar after the first day’s play.

If the West Indies fast bowlers wanted to make an impression, Bashar wasn’t prepared to allow them that.

“I love a challenge and I think challenge is something which lifts my level of intensity. I knew that they were going to play four fast bowlers but I also knew that they will give hittable balls in a Test match.”

Long seen as a batsman who doesn’t convert his fifties into hundreds more often, Bashar said the thought crossed his mind in the middle of the innings.

“To be honest, I thought about it on reaching the half century. But I remembered what coach Dav Whatmore had told me. He said we all think about hundreds when we get to fifties but it’s important to stay focused on the job you are doing and not get concerned with the amount of runs. I tried to follow that.

‘This was probably my best Test innings. I think only one delivery beat me and I didn’t get wrapped on the pad even once.”

Bashar’s innings, his third Test hundred, was a typical West Indian knock and those who watched that, felt they have seen something special.

“It was a very attacking innings. Very good to watch,” said West Indies’ chairman of selectors Sir Vivian Richards. During a television programme on Cricket, callers from different parts of the Caribbean lauded the hundred and sent congratulatory messages to Bashar.

There was a moment of heat involving Bashar during the match when a frustrated Best in his follow through, threw the ball at force straight towards the batsman and it his hip.

“He (Best) later said sorry and that’s good enough for me. Things like that happen,” said Bashar who is now just 43 runs shy of becoming the first Bangladeshi to reach the 2000 run mark. ...

CricketWorld >> (http://www.cricketworld.com/CricketWorld/renderarticle?department=2&productno=3049)

chinanan
May 29, 2004, 05:23 PM
i like Rabeed Imam ;)

Tehsin
May 29, 2004, 05:57 PM
This does not have anything to do with bashar or dailystarnews. I just had a hunch after our 406 with 2 hundreds to see if Bangladesh Government's stamped website 'cricketnext.com' had anything to say about our performance in their front page (front page is more visible and anything negative about BD cricket always shows up prominently).

There was no surprise there. Apart from a little link to a 5 line rueters report almost at the bottom of the site, there wasn't any story in their TOP story/Specials section. These folks are not even trying to hide their obvious displeasure with bd cricket.

Next time you read a negative item on BD on any of their pages, just ignore it completely and feel free to remind them that we do not want them to cover BD cricket at all, we wouldn't want to inconvenience them in any way.

chinanan
May 29, 2004, 06:02 PM
DID YOU KNOW »
Only Vangipurappu Venkata Sai Laxman, who opened the innings, reached double figures (19), apart from extras which contributed 15 to the Indian second innings total of 81 when they chased the victory target of 120 against West Indies at the Kensington Oval in Barbados in March, 1997.

this was so called cricketnext's "did you know"

hasbo na kadbo