PDA

View Full Version : Lara's article about Day 2!

reverse_swing
May 29, 2004, 09:46 PM
The respect the opposition had for the West Indies in the past is no longer there. However, I never would have imagined that it would manifest itself in the actions of the Bangladeshi team.

Any team having won the toss against us in the 1980s thought twice about batting first— even on the best-looking batting tracks — and some never even entertained the thought. That was so until the early ‘90s, when Ambrose and Walsh were still in their prime.

I had a look at the pitch before walking out to toss and I new that it was good to bat on. But I thought that, if there was an ounce of moisture, our fast bowlers would be able to do early damage to the Bangladeshi's batting order.

I suppose Bashar, the opposing captain, was thinking the entire opposite — if he could win the toss and post a big score, the West Indies could be put under some pressure as the pitch deteriorated.

Well, I don't think I need to mention how easy-paced this pitch is. The Bangladesh captain scored a very attractive Test century and the team’s number nine batsman, Mohammad Rafique, also reached triple digits.

It is really disturbing when everyone involved in the preparation of the pitch knows the team we have selected, as well as the opposition we are playing against, yet a placid pitch is prepared.

Our four fast bowlers were unable to use their pace to any advantage and, with their lack of experience, were unable to maintain the necessary patience needed on such a surface.

They were either too short or too full, allowing the batsmen to score freely on both sides of the wicket. The experienced Pedro Collins was the best of our fast bowlers, picking up three wickets for 83 runs.

It was evident at quite an early stage that leaving out the spinner was not in our best interest. Of course, we all fantasise about going back to our most successful period in international cricket, when we had four fast bowlers operating and demolishing any opposing team.

Our youngsters have the ability to get us back there, but I still feel that they are inexperienced and instead of relying on our dream team we should focus on the current situation.

The selection process is a democratic one. This should be taken advantage of and hence more thought should be given by those contributing to the selection process. How many of us relied on what we wanted to see out there representing us, rather than the actual state of the pitch?

Well, as it turned out, the off spin of Christopher Gayle and leg breaks from Ramnaresh Sarwan troubled the Bangladesh batsmen the most. So far, they have picked up four wickets between them, with Sarwan returning his best test figures of three for 51.

I understand that the weather in T&T is horrendous at the moment, but that is the case throughout the Caribbean. Yesterday’s play started at 2.30 pm on a very soggy outfield and any more overnight rain will interrupt today’s play as well.

There will be an extra hour of play every day for the remainder of the match, which gives us the opportunity to get in the overs lost. Nevertheless, we will need a great deal more than that to achieve a win in this match. It is a good pitch for batting, but their runs are on the board already and now we have to apply ourselves to ensure that we post a big enough total to put them under pressure later on in the match.

Our fast bowlers have to be more patient and they have to concentrate on putting the ball in the right areas. Hopefully, with the help of our part-time spinners, something can happen in our favour later on.

No need to call names, but catches win matches and if we are going to be dropping so many, our chances of winning are going to diminish.
Source (http://www.guardian.co.tt/sports1.html)

[Edited on 30-5-2004 by reverse_swing]

IanW
May 29, 2004, 10:15 PM
Shorter Brian Lara ...

"The West Indies need to fix the pitch in order to beat Bangladesh.

And the selectors are idiots."

RazabQ
May 29, 2004, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by IanW
Shorter Brian Lara ...

Ian, if I hadn't been at work your summary would have had me busting a gut. Priceless ... BTW welcome to the board.

Razab

oracle
May 30, 2004, 01:19 AM
The calls for his head is getting louder. Wonder what will happen if this test is lost, that is by WI. Already, his detractors are sharpening their knives. He will be under immense pressure if his top order fails today.

billah
May 30, 2004, 03:43 AM
Oh heck! This wouldn't be the first or second time Lara's head would roll as captain. I've been saying all along, he's got poor leadership skills. Under pressure, he does THIS to lift his team spirit?I wonder how his boys are gonna feel about his integrity. In the least, we played better than his lads. All this talk about placid pitch, we'll see how his charges do with the bat. If he is right about the pitch, we should expect a 700 run first innings by WI well inside 2 days. Let's see.

Ahmed_B
May 30, 2004, 05:40 AM
"Nachte na janle 'Pitch'(actually Uthan) baka" !!! :D:D
i thought it was a bengali phrase... how did Lara come to know it?!! :P

anyway.. don bother.. coz lara has to find excuses for the humiliation whn he faces the board and the press!! ;).. these articles are only the warm ups!!
guess wht's coming next!... they might even accuse the Grounds-Staff for being involved in 'Match-Fixing'!! ;););)
go on Lara... u betta destroy all the respects u got frm all-over the world with u'r own 'words'!!(saying these kinda things rather than admitting his own team's weakness!!)

pagol-chagol
May 30, 2004, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by IanW
Shorter Brian Lara ...

:P:P:P:P:P:P
Perfect.

Also, Fidel Edwards sucks.

Billah & Optimist - right on.

Bad leader

If Lara does not have a big innings today he is in deep doo doo. So be scared. Very scared.

AsifTheManRahman
May 30, 2004, 02:17 PM
There we go again...blame it on the pitch...
are baap Basharer jei test record eita tor doler koy jon batsmaner ase?
nijer bowlerra ball korte pare na...r bangladesher batsmanra ektu bhalo korse...bas pitcher dosh...tor ki ashrafuler moto debut century ase je kotha kos?

Tehsin
May 30, 2004, 09:58 PM
From the WI board - by one of their own:

The One-Sided Pitch ....

Just changed sides.

Lara needs to own up to his own faults or his own people will snatch that captain's armband off of him. By the way, thanks to Lara for our performance so far. If it weren't for his (poor) captaincy, we would've found ourselves bowled out for around 300.

link (http://caribbeancricket.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=25790)

RazabQ
May 31, 2004, 01:00 AM
More Windies soul searching (http://www.guardian.co.tt/sports1.html)

chad
May 31, 2004, 11:43 AM
lara always gives his take on the game he writes in trinidad guadian every game guardian.co.tt

paco
May 31, 2004, 07:18 PM
Brian Lara - Champion whiner !! When they got bowled out for 47 he blamed the ground staff for making a bowler friendly pitch.

WI2debone
June 1, 2004, 05:08 AM
Hmmmm sometimes I get so angry I could burst a vessel.

Do we actually select teams (bowlers especially) based on what the groundsmen say?????

Why did anyone expect this pitch to play differently now than it did in the last series.

Paco it's human, we all whine and make excuses when things haven't gone our way!!!! You too!!!

crazyisland
June 3, 2004, 08:35 AM
It wasn't the pitch. The fact is BD team played very good in fact better than them. I know it's sort of hard to accept the fact that Bangladesh Team has improved a lot and they are ALMOST ready to take on these big boys.

They just need a little bit more experience.

AsifTheManRahman
June 3, 2004, 02:16 PM
yeah like maybe we should win a World Cup or two and then they'll show us some more respect...

ok i should keep on dreaming...

betaar
June 3, 2004, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by WI2debone
Hmmmm sometimes I get so angry I could burst a vessel.

Why did anyone expect this pitch to play differently now than it did in the last series.

Paco it's human, we all whine and make excuses when things haven't gone our way!!!! You too!!!

I second that, I don't blame Lara, may be the pitch wasn't upto his liking, but he shoul've atleast praised BD performance.

As we all know we could whine, but whether it's valid or not that signifies one's credibility. What bugs me is the mere fact that WI managed to beat BD in more placid pitches and in our homesoil with a big margin which proves that his whining about a batting wicket in his homesoil isn't a valid one.

I could've handled whining with proper excuses. A great man like Lara should give us a little more break, cus a little encouragement from this great player could take some BD players (who consider him as their idol) a long way, just like Steve Waugh. But what prompted him to whine without a proper reason is that he's at the receiving end unlike Steve Waugh. If we lost in a close fought match I'm sure Lara would've praised us more.

I think all this talking about pitch and everything is a reflection of BD's improvement which I think we should all take positively.