PDA

View Full Version : Play to win this test!

sage
May 29, 2004, 11:14 PM
We should play to win this test. WI bowling looked scary. Our batsman took care of them well. WI batsman also look scary. If BD spin shows the magic, we can hold them around 300 within 3rd day. That will open a window for positive result for this test. I know how big a challange that one is. We have the confidence from the good start.

Nobody can hold us down! Nobody !

Zobair
May 29, 2004, 11:31 PM
Well as a team we are in unchartered territory. In terms of ability, based on evidence of the current state of our bowling and fielding, I have very little doubt that we can put WI seriously on the mat, docile pitch or not. However, we have to win a psychological war before we get on the field for the 3rd day. And that war is within ourselves; the struggle to control the emotions that have inevitably crowded the euphoric minds of our players. Players deserve to be on cloud nine, but not just yet. The match is still on. The job is about half done. Still a while to go yet! They have to bottle in their emotions for now and go out and ensure the energy expended in the right direction. They need to be firmly on the ground! They need to clear their heads. This will be real hard. Whatmore and his team have a big job on their hands tonight. A lot depends on that frame of minds our players come out with tomorrow. We can win this game. I believe, we have reached a stage in this match that, with all due respect to Lara and co., the main opponent is our mental state. Godspeed!

[Edited on 30-5-2004 by pompous]

Rubu
May 30, 2004, 12:15 AM
pompous, i agree with u. the key is belief now. if they can believe, they can win.

Upal
May 30, 2004, 12:20 AM
I hope Dav has some more of his one-on-one interviews with the players!

EngWIndian
May 30, 2004, 05:46 AM
BD needs to play this match to win,

they have enough runs on the board to defend, remember the pitch in the 2nd test match is no-where as slow as this, it will be fast with alot of bounce, perfect for bowlers like best/edwards/lawson. BD has a chance now, if they draw then it'll be a waste, and WI would have a good chance of winning the series.

pagol-chagol
May 30, 2004, 07:32 AM
Test cricket is like chess. Its a long journey to draw a game. It a little shorter journey from a draw to a win. Draw with a superior opponent is a monumental achievement. (Its not like baseball where the most measurable team still wins 25% of their games. New Zealand took 26 years to draw a game)

I can't believe I missed the first 2 days. You lucky people.

sage
May 30, 2004, 08:26 AM
When you have a chance, use it. Donot waste it.

rafiq
May 30, 2004, 08:38 AM
We sometimes tend to think there are more matches in the series so it's OK if we don't do our best in the first one. But the first match is often when we have the opposition on the back foot, maybe they get surprised that Bangladesh actually plays well once in a while. Should have taken the first ODI, and we need to take this match while we have a chance.

But the game is only 2/5 of the way and we inevitably may fall apart at the end. Factor in rain and a result will be hard to get. We just need to play hard all the way through.

RazabQ
May 30, 2004, 08:43 AM
The way Bashar dominated, and Rafiq's child-like joy at a century - egula hochchey jaakey bolay "shonali muhurto".

BTW, as I type up a storm of Romanized Bangla, I wonder what has happened to FaltuRidwanBhai. Jhaihok uni kintu shorbodai amader maatree bhasatey parodorshita raakhen :)

Zephaniah
May 30, 2004, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by razabq
Jhaihok uni kintu shorbodai amader maatree bhasatey parodorshita raakhen :)

Tell you one thing...i struggled a little bit to decipher out the meaning ..and yes Bengali is my mother-tounge!

AsifTheManRahman
May 30, 2004, 02:08 PM
a draw would be more realistic

rafiq
May 30, 2004, 04:54 PM
windies are playing scared - looking for a draw. accepting bad light and what not. stand up and play like men, for God's sake.

any rebuttals??

reverse_swing
May 30, 2004, 04:58 PM
This game is still in our hand. If we able to allout them before 320 & then all we need to score quick 200 & then declare.