PDA

View Full Version : Whatmore Departs From Caribbean

chinaman
May 30, 2004, 04:58 PM
Rabeed Imam from St. Lucia

A grieving Bangladesh coach Dav Whatmore is scheduled to leave St. Lucia for Australia on Monday following a family loss. Whatmore’s brother-in-law, who had been diagnosed with brain tumour only months ago, passed away on Friday in Melbourne. The coach is not expected to return for the second Test against the West Indies in Jamaica starting June 4 as he will be attending the funeral.

In Whatmore’s absence, the squad’s operations manager and chief selector Faruque Ahmed will play the part of coach. It would the second time in less than a month that the former national captain has been asked to take on additional responsibility. Faruque was entrusted with the manager’s role after Lt. Col. (Retd.) MA Latif Khan had to pull out of the trip due to illness before the Tigers left Bangladesh.

Tigers captain Habibul Bashar said that Whatmore’s absence will be felt by the team but they would try to carry on the process he had initiated. “It’s a very emotional and sad moment for him (Whatmore). So we realise his importance of staying close to his family. We are all very sorry for him. As for the cricket, we are all professionals and I think we have to prove that in Jamaica. The strategy remains the same and he has already put everything in place in terms of what our job is. I think we are all matured enough and experienced enough to handle the situation,” said Bashar.

Cricketworld >> (http://www.cricketworld.com/CricketWorld/renderarticle?department=2&productno=3058)

oracle
May 30, 2004, 07:38 PM
Dav left earlier than monday. My interview was faxed to me, partly incomplete. So it is on hold until monday evening. Faruque in the real hot seat. :(

[Edited on 31-5-2004 by oracle]

Rubu
May 31, 2004, 12:45 AM
poor guy. will not be able to be with his team when all his great works will have a big pay off. the team will really miss him while celebrating the test win :( :)