PDA

View Full Version : What We do now?


Rubu
May 31, 2004, 12:31 AM
I've to quote myself here in order to mean what i'm actually trying to say:

A Diffensive approach to win a Test: I can't think that a test win will come in this tour. But, if we don't try, it will never come. Still what I think is, if we have a choice of secure draw, we should go for it. We should not risk too much for a test win, as oppose to ODI. .

even though i wrote it, i could not believe myself a situation like this would happen where we are to decide whether we should go all out for win, risking a defeat, or we should just try to draw it.

well, after day 3, we're exactly at this situation. the excellent works of past two days had been turned down by today's catch drops.

right now, we are in a situation that if we are to try to win, we've to take too much risk of loosing. call this option A. to me, if we take this option A, the chance that we'll win this test is 50%, and we'll loose is 50%.

on the other hand, if we try for a draw, call this option B, we can quite easily do that.

what should we do. even though my previous suggestion was option B, right now, I don't know. i really don't know. what u think.

well, before that let me explain first why i'm thinking like this:
we've a 154 runs lead. does not look to big since gayle is still there, a set batsman. also, jacobs is not bad either, has 3 centuries and 14 halfs. but, after that four pure bowlers, none of their bests batting scores crosses 20. so, it can be safely said that we can bowl them out in maximum 45 overs. lets set a range for their possible score: 325-425. anywhere possible, but can't believe it will be below 325. which means we'll NOT have an advantagous lead. unless we can "ghail" gayle very soon tomorrow. but, he's set. it will not be easy.
from there, what we do? if we keep batting, its very unlikely that we'll be all out by end of the day. our score will look something very much like what WI have now. and here the problem comes. if we want a safe total, we need to bat for one more session on day 5. then, we'll not be able to all out them in last 2 sessions. a draw. and if we take a dengerous risk with not so much total, the game will turn into an odi, and can go either way.

what shoud we do? what should we do?

[Edited on 31-5-2004 by AgentSmith]

Zunaid
May 31, 2004, 12:42 AM
Go for the jugular - plausible as IanW mentioned in another post.

rafiq
May 31, 2004, 01:30 AM
Option A. You always have to go for the win, this day and every day. If you don't want to win, why bother playing?

IanW
May 31, 2004, 02:10 AM
If Bangladesh go for the win and lose, it really doesnt matter. Bangladesh have had plenty of losses.

But this game is there to be won. And if Bangladesh get their first win away, against someone who isnt Zimbabwe, then it will be remembered forever.

Thinking about whether to play for the draw is something you need to do when you are down to Mashud and the bowlers.

Until then, remember the screaming heaps the West Indies collapsed into against England, and keep pouring on the pressure.
Until then, go all-out for the win.

Zunaid
May 31, 2004, 02:23 AM
Slightly digressing here - Let's look at the bigger picture. Will any course of action at all affect the current movement afoot towards the multi-tier system? I doubt it. Of course, if we mess up the 2nd Test - they (the elitists) will have more ammunition to try to support their case.

Now, if somehow the Zimbabweans got their act together and the team is whole again - will the campaign die down?

reverse_swing
May 31, 2004, 02:26 AM
Agent, if we able to set a target for example 320 in 110/90 overs then WI will definitely go for that & our chances will increase consequently.

[Edited on 31-5-2004 by rezwan1977]

crickipagol
May 31, 2004, 02:30 AM
I think weather has a different take on the last 2 days game.

Forecast is very bad. (http://weather.yahoo.com/forecast/STXX0001.html)

Looking back, (and keeping the future weather situation in mind), I think we missed a great opportunity yesterday, by dropping those catches.

Eventually the wonderfull display of BD batting, may just turn into another rain affected draw.

sigh:(

EngWIndian
May 31, 2004, 05:40 AM
Originally posted by crickipagol
I think weather has a different take on the last 2 days game.

Forecast is very bad. (http://weather.yahoo.com/forecast/STXX0001.html)

Looking back, (and keeping the future weather situation in mind), I think we missed a great opportunity yesterday, by dropping those catches.

Eventually the wonderfull display of BD batting, may just turn into another rain affected draw.

sigh:(

trust me, DONT follow the yahoo weather forecast, its hopeless. It will say it has thunderstorms even though theres not a cloud in sight.

reverse_swing
May 31, 2004, 06:53 AM
It's true this yahoo weather forecast is totally rubbish.

AsifTheManRahman
May 31, 2004, 10:26 AM
There is no point of going for the win anymore...rain's ensured the draw...