PDA

View Full Version : What does the next 12 months bring for Bangladesh ?

IanW
June 1, 2004, 08:49 PM
After this West Indies series, who do they play ?

They've played South Africa at home, then Australia away, Pakistan away, England at home, then Zimbawbwe and now the West Indies away, right ?

reverse_swing
June 1, 2004, 08:54 PM
October 2004:
Bangladesh host New Zealand

November 2004:
Bangladesh host Sri Lanka

January 2005:
Bangladesh host India

April 2005:

India host Bangladesh

May 2005:
England host Bangladesh

Nasif
June 1, 2004, 08:58 PM
There is Asia Cup in July also.

IanW
June 1, 2004, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by reverse_swing
October 2004:
Bangladesh host New Zealand

November 2004:
Bangladesh host Sri Lanka

January 2005:
Bangladesh host India

April 2005:

India host Bangladesh

May 2005:
England host Bangladesh

Woo-hoo. Assuming Bangladesh play as well in the Second test as they did in the first, they should have their tails up against New Zealand and Sri Lanka.

With any luck, Mushrafe will be back by then ...

Zunaid
June 1, 2004, 09:19 PM
Mashrafee may not be fully functional for the NZ trip but if we keep the performance trend up - we can give them a run for the money.

I'm hoping that the powers that be does something to improve our batsmen's prowess against good pace and the short ball.

Like Ian suggested, astorturf on concrete? Maybe a mini-tour to Australia - play with one of the FC teams? Aug-Sep should be off-season there?

sujon
June 1, 2004, 09:40 PM
Too many matches in home soil. As it is evident that we play significantly better in away turf, i would rather be happy to see our team playing away more.

Anyway, for me the England series is the biggest one. I strongly believe we can do well in england with the kind of bowlling attack we have.

IanW
June 1, 2004, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by Zunaid
Mashrafee may not be fully functional for the NZ trip but if we keep the performance trend up - we can give them a run for the money.

I'm hoping that the powers that be does something to improve our batsmen's prowess against good pace and the short ball.

Like Ian suggested, astorturf on concrete? Maybe a mini-tour to Australia - play with one of the FC teams? Aug-Sep should be off-season there?

Well, as the Banglo quicks not bowling too badly (has anyone got speed numbers from the last Test ?) and Mushrafe etc coming off injuries, it shouldnt be too hard to get some hard nets wickets, to give players practice against the short ball.

As to a tour of Australia, the issue with that is timing ... a better idea would be to look at a longer tour of Australia next time, with many more first class games.

Winning is a habit, and Bangladesh play most of their 4 or 5 day games against Test sides, which makes it tougher ... for example, the Windies tour is one first class game, then 3 one dayers, then the two test matches.

Lets compare this to the Australian 1977-8 tour of the West Indies, which had 5 Test matches and 5 first-class matches.

Leeward Islands v Australians at Basseterre, 17-20 Feb 1978
1st ODI: West Indies v Australia at St John's, 22 Feb 1978
Trinidad & Tobago v Australians at Port of Spain, 25-28 Feb 1978
1st TEST: West Indies v Australia at Port-of-Spain, 3-5 Mar 1978
Barbados v Australians at Bridgetown, 11-14 Mar 1978
2nd TEST: West Indies v Australia at Bridgetown, 17-19 Mar 1978
Guyana v Australians at Georgetown, 25-28 Mar 1978
3rd TEST: West Indies v Australia at Georgetown, 31 Mar-5 Apr 1978
Windward Islands v Australians at St George's, 6-8 Apr 1978
2nd ODI: West Indies v Australia at Castries, 12 Apr 1978
4th TEST: West Indies v Australia at Port-of-Spain, 15-18 Apr 1978
Jamaica v Australians at Kingston, 21-24 Apr 1978
5th TEST: West Indies v Australia at Kingston, 28 Apr-3 May 1978

This Bangladesh side would be more than competitive against island sides, and that gets Bangladesh in the habit of winning.

Ahmed_B
June 2, 2004, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by sujon
Anyway, for me the England series is the biggest one. I strongly believe we can do well in england with the kind of bowlling attack we have.

... and England needs to be taught some lessons as well...

IanW
pls dont use 'Banglo' or 'Bangas'(atleast not when u post to us!).. those words dont exist, neither they sound decent... Bangla's/Bengals/BD is correct enough!

[Edited on 2-6-2004 by crickethorizon]

Hasib
June 2, 2004, 01:53 AM
i think it was a typo... he may have meant Bangali... "o" and "i" are next to each other...

Carte Blanche
June 2, 2004, 02:07 AM
Yes I understand crickethorizon's point. As a matter of fact, I share the same sentiments. But in this case it didn't feel bad at all to me, as Ian wasn't using it in a disparaging manner. But yes, we Bengalies aren't too fond of improvisation when it comes to nick-naming us. We tend to prefer Bangla/Bengals :)

Ahmed_B
June 2, 2004, 03:02 AM
Originally posted by Hasib
i think it was a typo... he may have meant Bangali... "o" and "i" are next to each other...

not really... WI'ans produced some other nick's like these as well and they frequently use it among themselves...
no complains though... they can use whtever comfortable whn its in their discussion..
But hei... this is a DIE-HARD tiger fan site.. rite?? ;)
lets just use the tiger's way :D