PDA

View Full Version : can Bangladesh arrange a series with Zimbabway?

vv_sunil
June 2, 2004, 03:36 AM
Now after this series, there is nothing planned in test matches till the arrival of New Zealand.

I feel, Board should initiate in the matter to call Zimbabway after jul/august and arrange a 2/3 test series with them. Chances are more there coming to Bangladesh as they are struggling right now to keep going in test matches.

This is also the best time to Bangladesh to record a test win, if such a series is arranged.

what you people are thinking?

EngWIndian
June 2, 2004, 05:01 AM
Zim are now very very weak, any team could beat them, if BD wishes to improve they must face stronger opponents.

mohd azam
June 2, 2004, 06:04 AM
yes you are right
we should play with stronger team to improve
let see for up coming match with WI last test in the serise
than with new zeland and sri lanka
:great::great::fanflag::fanflag:

reinausagi
June 2, 2004, 08:29 AM
ZIM needs 'A'-team tours. BD needs a 5 match ODI tour vs. Kenya to put the rumors of Kenyan superiority to rest. Beating up on ZIM with a full test tour is not a freindly gesture. They are back in their developmental mode.

paco
June 2, 2004, 08:41 AM
I think we should arrange a test series with India instead. I'd be much more satisfied if we beat India instead of a hapless Zimbabwe U-19 side.

ZunaidH
June 2, 2004, 12:07 PM
I agree with Paco. We should concentrate on a test match with India put make Ganguly suffer for his comments.

rafiq
June 2, 2004, 12:17 PM
Zimbabwe can come play with our A team if it wants.

Beamer
June 2, 2004, 12:20 PM
The idea of beating India is silly. They are way way ahead

paco
June 2, 2004, 12:41 PM

We gave 'em a hard time 4 years ago - it was Sunil Joshi who saved them. I'd like to see how they fare now.

sujon
June 2, 2004, 12:50 PM
We should send our A team to face Zim now.

EngWIndian
June 2, 2004, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by paco

We gave 'em a hard time 4 years ago - it was Sunil Joshi who saved them. I'd like to see how they fare now.

Please be real here, out of all cricket nations, India is one of the (i feel the) strongest team in world cricket at the moment, Aus had a very hard time against them and had to fight for a draw to save the series. 4 years ago is a very long time, dont you remember how weak India were? now look at their team now, most of their top 6 batsman average around 50. BD should face teams like WI, Eng, NZ. England may feel that their the best in the world but they got a hell of a long way to go.

[Edited on 2-6-2004 by EngWIndian]

Beamer
June 2, 2004, 02:45 PM
I think NZ is very much on the upswing. They have a lot of character players, specially in the lower order. Their low order right now maybe the best in the world.

billah
June 2, 2004, 03:47 PM
Facing Zimbabwe and defeating them would only make more of a case for the ill-conceived enlandian-indian plan for 3 tier system. We should support Zimbabwe as much as possible at the moment.

Nasif
June 2, 2004, 04:41 PM
I agree with Billah. Playing Zim at this point won't prove anything. They are passing a very critical phase. We should support them.

We should play strong teams. I have high hopes in ODIs for Asia Cup :)

[Edited on 2-6-2004 by nasif]

Tokai
June 2, 2004, 04:55 PM
helping Zim or supporting them is a very good idea, playing against them is not. instead, i say like many other, lets arrange a series against india. no doubt, india is in great form now, but how long ago does that srarted? make a graph of indian performance, it will look like a sine wave. time scale for each period is 6 months. so, by the time the series strats, depending on the position of india on the sine wave graph, we might just be able to suprise them. that would make ganguly have nightmare about 3 tier system. because every night, he'll see that he is playing at the 3rd tier.

[Edited on 2-6-2004 by Tokai]

IanW
June 2, 2004, 05:28 PM
With Zimbawbwean cricket in the state that it is, you dont want history to record that your first win was against them.

If the batting continues to improve, and especially once your first-line quicks come back from injury, Bangladesh have a quite competitive Test side.

If Bangladesh do not collapse at Sabina Park, I'd be quite hopeful about the home series against Sri Lanka and, especially, New Zealand.

Bangladesh deserve a more better opponent than Zimbawbwe ; remember, it took a pretty good Trescothick innings to pull England out of the fire the last time they went to Bangladesh.

tglover
June 2, 2004, 06:58 PM
Who cares how bad/good Zimbabwe is, point is, Bangladesh has to win a test at some point and who cares if it is against this Zimbabwe team.

I am really looking forward to the future series in Bangladesh in January when Zimbabwe tour. I am sure the ICC will not ban them, because they played awesome against Australia recently.

Actually, this Zimbabwe team did better against Australia than Bangladesh did against Australia last year...something to think about...

AsifTheManRahman
June 2, 2004, 07:44 PM
I find no good reason behind bringing Zimbabwe in...instead let's call up the Indians and practice some shoot outs on their butts.

tglover
June 2, 2004, 07:46 PM
Realisically India will kill Bangladesh now with Irfan Pathan. I wouldn't be in such a hurry...

al Furqaan
June 2, 2004, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by ghor_jamai
I agree with Paco. We should concentrate on a test match with India put make Ganguly suffer for his comments.

here's how stuck up 'sore rub' ganguly is:

isn't he a bengali? then why does he think hes superior to us. it would be alright if he said they were better and acknowledged our improvements, but no. []

well heres what i think: screw ganguly and any indians who think like him. next time we play them, win, lose, or draw, we'll eat his b***h-a** for breakfast, and then regurgitate him on the pitch.

[Edited on 3-6-2004 by Zunaid : moderation]

fab
June 2, 2004, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by tglover
Actually, this Zimbabwe team did better against Australia than Bangladesh did against Australia last year...something to think about...

I wouldn't say they did better, they did roughly the same:

Zimb v AU (2004)
1: Australia won by 7 wickets
2: Australia won by 139 runs
3: Australia won by 8 wickets

Bd vs AU (2003)
1: Australia won by 8 wickets
2: Australia won by 9 wickets
3: Australia won by 112 runs
[]

[Edited on 3-6-2004 by Zunaid]

samiur666
June 2, 2004, 10:34 PM
I find it funny and also a little disturbing that some people on this board think that Bangladesh can realistically beat India at this stage of our development. I personally am a big BD fan and I dont have any particular liking for the Indian cricket team, but even my fanatical support for the BD team cannot allow to to embark on such flights of fancy where we are beating India in a test match any time soon. This is a team that has arguably the best batting line up in the whole world right now. It has a good crop of up and coming bowlers who proved their mettle against the daunting Aussies and the inconsistent but ever dangerous Pakistanis. I would love to get carried away by this one test tie and think that our team is a world beating team now but the reality is that it isn't one..yet. We still have a lot of hard work ahead of us and now is not the the time to get our head in the clouds. Also comments such as the one I saw on this thread about how Ganguly is a Hindu and this is why he is proposing a two/three tier test ladder are not only inappropriate but also hurtful. Bringing religion into a sports forum like this is completely unnecessary. I personally am a Muslim but please consider the feelings of Hindu BD cricket fans who readsuch posts. Do you realize that you may be hurting them with your comments? Points to ponder....

[Edited on 3-6-2004 by samiur666]

[Edited on 3-6-2004 by samiur666]

tglover
June 2, 2004, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by fab
Originally posted by tglover

I wouldn't say they did better, they did roughly the same:

Zimb v AU (2004)
1: Australia won by 7 wickets
2: Australia won by 139 runs
3: Australia won by 8 wickets

Bd vs AU (2003)
1: Australia won by 8 wickets
2: Australia won by 9 wickets
3: Australia won by 112 runs
[]

[Edited on 3-6-2004 by Zunaid]

Okay then look at the batting performances:

ODI1 Zim 9/205 50ov
ODI2 Zim 10/184 44.3ov
ODI3 Zim 10/196 48.5ov

ODI1 Bdesh 10/105 34ov
ODI2 Bdesh 10/147 45.1ov
ODI3 Bdesh 10/142 47.3ov

Now do you see my point? :-)

James90
June 3, 2004, 06:28 AM
Firstly it's Zimbabwe
Secondly it's not pronounced like that
Thirdly India don't want to play Bangladesh, they're rejected us numerous times
Fourthly....Irfan Pathan is over-rated

reverse_swing
June 3, 2004, 06:34 AM
Irfan overrated? I yet to see his bowling.

capslock
June 3, 2004, 07:28 AM
Let's not get carried away, not including Zim, there are about 3/4 countries that we can realistically hope for a victory against, I will list them in the order of probable upset:

1. West Indies

2. Pakistan

3. England

4. Sri Lanka (small chance)

The rest of the teams are just too solid.

bhobishshot
June 3, 2004, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by capslock
Let's not get carried away, not including Zim, there are about 3/4 countries that we can realistically hope for a victory against, I will list them in the order of probable upset:

1. West Indies
2. Pakistan
3. England
4. Sri Lanka (small chance)

The rest of the teams are just too solid.

You gotta have NZ there somewhere. I will put them before Eng.